Historical information
Tram 39 was built in 1914 by Duncan and Fraser for the Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust. It came to Ballarat in 1951 and was part of the SEC's consolidated tramcar fleet. It was converted to a static museum display and souvenir shop. In 1971 it went to the Lions Club of Lismore. Ballarat Tramway Preservation Society acquired it in 1976. (See No. 10755 for a series of 16 photographs of the return of tram 39 to Ballarat. These were taken by Campbell Duncan)
The photograph shows Tram 39 and others at the Sturt Street holding depot. This was located in Sturt Street between Greville Street and Lydiard Street. This was where the trams waited to cater for the peak travel times. The numbers on the other trams cannot be identified.
Physical description
Black and white photograph
Subjects
References
- Last Tram at Eleven: Tramways of Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong by William F Scott
- Ballarat Tramway Museum: Fleet and Infrastructure Conservation Policy; Version 3 of September 2024
