Historical information
The Sunshine Energy Park site was quarried for basalt from around 1900, following this the worked-out quarry pits were reclaimed by landfilling from the late-1960s until the late-1980s under licence.
Capping works occurred progressively during operation and to a final landform after closure. Additional civil works commenced in 2012 which included the works to import soil to create a water shedding profile and improve drainage.
Aftercare of the landfill continues, including environmental monitoring, settlement monitoring and control of residual landfill gas. The Closed Sunshine Landfills are now suitable for recreation and community use after extensive rehabilitation works and aftercare management, which will continue into the future.
The park’s name relates to an energy production scheme that operated on the site in the 1990’s which used the landfill gas to generate electricity for export to the State network. While this power generation scheme has since finished, the name Sunshine Energy Park still resonates with the vision and ambitions articulated for the transformation of the Park in the Final Draft Vision Plan.
Physical description
Digital PDF File
Inscriptions & markings
Final Draft Sunshine Energy Park Vision Plan
