Stories Organisations Projects About Login

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room Macleod, Victoria

NOTICE: VISITORS SHOULD REPORT TO THE GREENSBOROUGH HWY ENTRANCE TO ARRANGE ESCORT ON BASE. PHOTO ID WILL BE REQUIRED.

The Unit History Room (UHR) has been a part of the 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse Regiment for many years. In 1969, discussions commenced within the unit to canvass the notion of a Regimental Museum. Eventually, in 1987, a Board of Trustees was formed which established the Museum with ownership of objects vested in the Trustees.

Why we are here
The UHR’s mission is to conserve, interpret and exhibit equipment, relics, icons, artefacts, memorabilia, and historical information related to:
• the 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse Regiment;
• its antecedent, associated and successor units and elements;
including the history of these in the context of the Australian Light Horse and, the Royal Australian Armoured Corps in order to:
• understand and commemorate the Regiment’s history;
• support the morale, education and training of the Regiment; and
• promote community awareness of the Regiment’s history and achievements.

What we collect
The collection focusses on:
• matters pertaining to individual and unit histories of 4/19 PWLH and its antecedent and associated units and organisations,
• the context of these in the Australian Light Horse and the Royal Australian Armoured Corps
• related equipment and artefacts
The scope of historical interest includes military, political, social and cultural aspects

How we are organised
The UHR is an element of the Regiment reporting to the Commanding Officer and Trustees.

Getting to know us

• The UHR is open on Monday and Thursday mornings (except public holidays). We can open at other times by appointment. Group visits from organizations are welcome.

Object donations
We often receive offers of donations of objects of interest. There is increasing community awareness that, when cleaning up, objects of possible historical significance should be sent to a museum rather than the tip.

Museum practice is for object donations to involve a transfer of ownership to the museum. Potential donors sometimes ask that it be treated as a long term loan, “in case I want it back one day”. If you are not happy to let it go, then it is better to keep it. In the case of medals, we would like to be sure that the family agrees to the donation.

Not all donations are of particular relevance to the UHR. With a clear title to the item, we can transfer it to a more appropriate collection. Or, we may decline a donation.

Situations vacant
The UHR is looking for volunteers who can commit for the long haul. The types of work involved include: preparation and maintenance of displays, photographing and cataloguing of objects, escorting visitors, and picture framing.

In accordance with museums practice, the Unit History Room DOES NOT provide valuations of objects

We are located at Simpson Barracks, Watsonia.

Enquiries: Unit orderly room, phone 8481 7905

Contact Information

location
Simpson Barracks Macleod Victoria 3085 (map)
phone
+61 (03) 9442 5205

Contact

Opening Hours

Monday and Thursday mornings or by appointment. Closed public holidays VISITORS SHOULD REPORT TO THE GREENSBOROUGH HIGHWAY ENTRANCE TO ARRANGE ESCORT ON BASE. PHOTO ID WILL BE REQUIRED.

Entry Fee

Suggested donation $5

Location

Simpson Barracks Macleod Victoria

View on Google Maps

The collection focuses on history of the 4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment.
The scope includes the modern day Regiment established in 1948 and its antecedent units dating back to the Kyneton District Mounted Rifles of 1861.

David Brown 12 May 2016 4:01 PM

can you help me please Im doing up a ferret scout car at are Army Museum could you if possible email me a photo or diagram of how the Battries are set up in side the Ferret please, I live in Aussie W.A. You have a great pages on the Victorian Collections its a WOW thank you. David.

Roy Arnott 8 June 2016 8:11 PM

David FSC manuals here. Including Electrical www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/manuals.htm Regards Roy Arnott

Leave a comment

206 items with images

206 items with images

Book - An Illustrated Guide to Modern Tanks and Fighting Vehicles

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

A compact directory of major battle tanks and combat vehicles used by the world's armies. Includes photographs and specifications.

Inscriptions & Markings

ISBN 0 7018 1439 X

Plaque - Reserve Affairs, India

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Shield shape wooden plaque on which affixed presentation plate: "With the Compliments from Colonel Uthai Chunhapesya Deputy Chief of the Reserve Affairs Department February 1987. and, The bage of the Reserve Affairs Department

Inscriptions & Markings

Refer description

Document - Royal Australian Armoured Corps Bulletin No 8

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

An eight page document listing the film strips available from the Armoured School, and chapter of the proposed publication "Techniques of Shooting"

Medal Set - Col S G A Hindaugh

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Full size and miniature sets of medals awarded to Colonel Stanley George Allen Hindaugh. Comprising: Distinguished Service Order (Flanders 1 June 1918), 1914-1918 Star, British War Medal 1914-1920, Victory Medal (with MID) 1919, War Medal 1939-1945, King George V Coronation 1911, Colonial Officers Auxiliary Forces Decoration, Croix de Guerre (Belgium) 1917. Mounted in glass fronted display case.

Significance

Stanley George Allen Hindaugh (1883-1962), soldier, was born on 12 December 1883 at Camperdown, Victoria. His occupation was Station Manager. 14 April 1904 - Appointed Lieutenant 11th Light Horse Regiment Militia. 3 April 1911 - Promoted to Captain in the Militia. 20 August 1914 - Appointed to the Australian Imperial Forces to A Squadron, 4th Light Horse Regiment at Broadmeadows camp. 19 October 1914 - Embarked for the Middle East from Melbourne with the 4th Light Horse Regiment per Tranport A18 "Wiltshire". 11 December 1914 - Disembarked at Alexandria for camp Mena. 19 May 1915 - Promoted to Major. From 22 May 1915 - On operations at Gallipoli. 6 August 1915 - Noted in the fierce engagement at Leane's Post. 19 August 1915 - Appointed Second in Command 4th Light Horse Regiment. December 1915 - To camp at Tel El Kebir. January 1916 - Acting CO 4th Light Horse Regiment. 21 March 1916 - Embarked Alexandria per "Cestrian" for Marseilles with B Squadron 4th Light Horse Regiment for operations in France and Flanders. 16 February 1917 - Promoted to Lt Colonel. March 1918 - In action at Passchendaele - Awarded Belgian Croix de Guerre. 7 December 1918 - To 2nd Light Horse Regiment. 2nd ANZAC Mounted Regiment. 15 May 1919 - Returned to Australia. 11 October 1919 - Transferred to Reserve of Officers. 1932 - Commanded 20th Light Horse Regiment. 1934 - Commanded 11th Light Horse Regiment. 15 November 1941 - Retired.

Inscriptions & Markings

Plaque in case enscribed: "Decorations of the late Lt Col Stan Hindaugh 4th Light Horse Regiment. Presented to 4th 19th Motorised Regiment". Adhesive label on case: Alwyn and Barbara Catmore 32 Morrie Crescent Blackburn Vic 3130 (03)8984124

Shell Case Trench Art

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Brass shell case. Engraved as trench art

Inscriptions & Markings

Body has 1 mm dot punched close pattern leaving 2 x 13 cm high heart shaped spaces on opposite sides. One space is engraved with AMF Rising Sun badge under which is Australian Coat of Arms. Other space: "SOUVENIR DE LA GURRE (Sic) 1914 1919" On base: St, G, 62, APRIL 1917, "HL" over "25"

Book - The Forgotten War, Australian Involvement in the South African Conflict of 1899-1902

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Hard covered book of 236 pages, with photos and illustrations

Inscriptions & Markings

Stamp of a previous owner, namely Brunswick Public Library

Document - Royal Australian Armoured Corps Bulletin No 14

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

A six page document covering techniques of shooting from AFV's, care of secondary batteries and recent training film releases.

Book - The Troopers' Tale - The History of the Otago Mounted Rifles

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Hard cover book. 382 pages

Historical information

The Otago Mounted Rifles served in the Boer War. In World War 1 the Regiment fought at Gallipoli, then, later, on the Western Front they were part of 1 ANZAC Corps with elements of the 4th and 8th Australian Light Horse Regiments. Later the OMR was reorganised into II ANZAC Corps with B and D Squadrons of the 4th Australian light Horse. Featuring nearly 400 photographs, illustrations and maps. "The Troopers' Tale" records the history of the regiment from the 1860's to the present day, and tells the personal stories of many previously unknown New Zealand soldiers.

Inscriptions & Markings

ISBN 978-0-47320462-4

Document - Royal Australian Armoured Corps Bulletin No 26

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

An 11 page document covering such things as rotation scheme for RAAC other ranks, various courses at the Armoured School, progress and information on new vehicles, field miniature range training and photos of Ferret MK1, Saracen, Conqueror and Centurion variants

Book - That Ragged Mob

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Hard covered book.

Significance

The Service Record of the 3rd and 4th Victorian Bushmen Contingents in the Boer War with a brief biographical sketch of each man who served. The modern day 4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment is the custodian of the theatre Battle Honour "SOUTH AFRICA 1899-1902" awarded to the 9th and 11th Light Horse Regiments. This Battle Honour was awarded to all extant Light Horse units in Australia under Military Order 123 of 1908, in recognition of all states' contribution to the forces who represented Australia against the Boers.

Inscriptions & Markings

Signed by the author: "With the compliments of the author Robin Droogleever 104/10" ISBN 978-0-646-5186-9

Book - An Illustrated Guide to World War II Tanks and Fighting Vehicles

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

An illustrated directory of major battle tanks used by the world's armies in World War II. Included photographs, illustrations and specifications.

Inscriptions & Markings

ISBN 0 7018 1488 8

Book - The Oxford Companion to Australian Military History

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Hard covered book

Inscriptions & Markings

ISBN 0 19 553227 9

Book - Australian Army Tactical & Instructional Pamphlets & Books - A Bibliography

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

This second edition charts the evolution of doctrine development in the Australian Army by detailing a list of instructional and tactical literature of the Army and its precursor pre-Federation Australian colonies. The bibliography demonstrates the range of subject areas that Army has addressed over its history, including such esoteric issues as censorship, the evolution of Signals training, accreditation of war correspondents & the management of enemy POW and repatriation of Australians taken POW.

Inscriptions & Markings

ISBN 978-0-9946046-8-2

Plaque - Deakin University Company

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Wooden shield shape plaque, Badge of Deakin University Company affixed

Inscriptions & Markings

Presentation plate: Presented by 2LT I WATT & 2LT K BROWN On posting to the Regiment 8th March 1994

Portrait - Lt-Col L E Reeder

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Framed oil painting of Lt-Col L E Reeder ED

Historical information

Lt-Col Reeder was Commanding Officer of 4/19 Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment from 1970 to 1975

Significance

One of a collection of portraits of former Commanding Officers of the Regiment

Book - The ANZAC Book

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Hard covered book.

Historical information

Written and pictorial items prepared by the men of Gallipoli while on Gallipoli. A poem, "When it's all over" was written by Harry McCann of the 4th Aust Light Horse Regiement

Inscriptions & Markings

Hand written name and address of owner - A.R Smith. (A member of 3 Aust Light Horse). For the benefit of Patriotic Funds connected with the A.&N.Z.A.C.

16 mm Film - Freedom of the City of Melbourne

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

16 mm colour print, 300 ft

Portrait - Lt-Col B D Clendinnen AM RFD ED

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Framed oil painting of Lt-Col B D Clendinnen AM RFD ED

Historical information

Lt-Col Clendinnen was Commanding Officer of 4/19 prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment from 1964 to 1967

Significance

One of a collection of portraits of former Commanding Officers of the Regiment

Document - Royal Australian Armoured Corps Bulletin No 4 (2 copies)

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Three page document on the use of range templates

Red Ensign - Surgeons' Banner

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

A large red ensign, post 1801 design. - The British red ensign was altered in 1801 to include the change to the design of the Union Jack. British legislation required, with a few exceptions, that all merchant shipping throughout the British Empire fly the British Red Ensign, without any defacement or modification. The ensign is sometimes referred to as the red duster. The Royal Navy stopped using the Red Ensign in 1864.

Historical information

Red Ensign 1801 design. - The British red ensign was altered in 1801 to include the change to the design of the Union Jack. British legislation required, with a few exceptions, that all merchant shipping throughout the British Empire fly the British Red Ensign, without any defacement or modification. The ensign is sometimes referred to as the red duster. The Royal Navy stopped using the Red Ensign in 1864. This red ensign was used by the Surgeons of the Kyneton District Mounted Rifles to indicate their location.

Significance

The Banner is a large red ensign mounted on a 10 foot long polished wooden pike. The Banner was used by the Kyneton District Mounted Rifles, later The Royal Volunteer Cavalry Regiment (Prince of Wales Hussars), then Prince of Wales Victorian Light Horse, ancestor units of the modern day 4th /19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse Regiment. In the binding is the inscription ‘Kyneton Prince of Wales Light Horse’ and three names: Surg-Major S Smith MRSLE, Dr McMillan, and Maj Thirkettle. These surgeons played a significant role in the military and civil affairs of Kyneton. Dr McMillan Dr McMillan was the first surgeon but left KPWLH 2-3 months after its formation and little else is known of him. Surgeon-Major Samuel Smith 1836 Born, Scotland 1857 Surgeon to the Hon. Hudson Bay Company. Ship “Prince Arthur” from London to Moose Fort, Hudson Bay. June 13 – Aug. 24 1857. 1858 Appointed Medical Officer of large immigrant ship to Port Phillip 1859 Appointed Assistant District Coroner, Castlemaine 1859 Appointed to Castlemaine Hospital 1862 Appointed first resident surgeon and manager of Kyneton Hospital Foundation member of Kyneton District Mounted Rifles 1874 Appointed Surgeon-Major Kyneton Volunteer Prince of Wales Light Horse Conducted a private practice in Kyneton. 1909 Died 8 November 1909, aged 73 years Samuel Smith was a Life Governor of Castlemaine Benevolent Asylum, a member of St Andrews Presbyterian Church, a Mark Master Mason of the Edward Coulson Lodge No 17, Kyneton. He also had a notable collection of stuffed native birds and animals of which he had great knowledge. Major Thirkettle 1855 Major Thirkettle arrived in Kyneton Established a timber merchant and ironmongery business in Kyneton with Robert Burton. 1857 By 1857 he was practising as an architect. His house is still standing in Yaldwin St, West Kyneton. 1860 Joined the Prince of Wales Light Horse 1863 Joined Rifle Volunteers and appointed Captain. On their disbandment he was made Honorary Major. 1864 Won Queen’s prize for rifle shooting. Major Thirkettle was noted for his skill with woodwork. He won many prizes and orders of merit for his models of yachts It is believed likely that he made the wooden pike with its metal head (now missing). He was Tyler of the Zetland Lodge, also Secretary of the MUIOOF and Bowling Club. 1904 Died in Kyneton, aged 75 years Protection for medical services The Surgeons’ Banner indicated the location of the Regimental Aid Post. The use of this device in the 1860’s overlapped the adoption of the Red Cross which became the symbol for the protection of sick and wounded soldiers. In 1864 twelve European nations signed a treaty stating that in future wars they would care for all sick and wounded military personnel, regardless of nationality. They would also recognise the neutrality of medical personnel, hospitals and ambulances identified by the emblem of a red cross on a white background. The treaty was called the Geneva Convention. This Convention was concerned only with soldiers wounded on the battlefield. Over the years, however, it has been expanded to cover everyone caught up in conflicts but not actually taking an active part in the fighting. The Surgeons’ Banner complements the Colours of the Kyneton District Mounted Rifles, also held by the Unit History Room, in presenting the colonial period of the Regiment’s history. Provenance It is believed that the Banner was manufactured in Britain and brought to Australia by Samuel Smith. After the disbanding of Colonial units, the Banner was in the care of the Shire of Kyneton until presented to the 4/19 Prince of Wales’s Light Horse Regiment on 14 September 1986 on the occasion of the Regiment exercising its right of freedom of entry to the city. There are many examples of Regimental and King’s/Queen’s Colours held by various organisations. However A Surgeons’ Banner such as this is rare, if not unique, in Australia.

Inscriptions & Markings

On the binding is the inscription: "Kyneton Prince of Wales Light Horse", and three names - Surgeon Major S Smith MRSLE Dr McMillan Major Thirkettle

Document - Royal Australian Armoured Corps Bulletin No 29

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

A 19 page document on notes for RAAC instructors and users on Radio Telephone Procedure

Regimental Colour - Kyneton District Mounted Rifles

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Regimental Colour of the Kyneton Distric Mounted Rifles. A double sided blue silk damask standard bounded on three sides by 30mm coiled metal fringing. It is heavily embroidered through a silk and cotton layer and these sections are are put back to back forming a sandwich of four layers. Several kinds of metal threads and sequins have been used for the embroidery as well as coloured silk floss, employing satin and stem stitch. The front shows a central insert in white silk divided into four and with a steam engine, bull, plough, and wheat sheaf in the segments. This crest is flanked on the left by a kangaroo and the right by an Emu. Above the crest is a horizontal baton, and above that a smiling sun sitting on a bed of clouds. The initials KD are in the upper hoist area and MD in the upper fly region.Below the crest is a red ribbon with the Latin words VESTICIA NULLA RETRORSUM in metal thread. Below this applique is a green satin stitch shape. The reverse has a red cross with stars surrounded by a green and gold laurel wreath. This is surmounted by a Queen's crown in embroidered metal thread over a base of red silk velvet. The bottom third of the flag is decorated with the words KYNETON DISTRIC MOUNTED RIFLES in embroidered metal thread.

Historical information

Address given by Mrs Lavender on the presentation of the Kyneton Colours on 28 February 1861 “Gentlemen of the Kyneton District Mounted Rifles, I feel proud of the honour done me in being deputed by the ladies of Kyneton to present the colours to your honourable Corps. There has always been a peculiar honour and responsibility connected with the colours of a Regiment. They have been unfurled on a battlefield as rallying points for many a splendid troop of gallant soldiers and courageous hearts. They have been spread to the breeze on the storming of many a city and battles hardly fought and dearly won. To retain their position and maintain their integrity, many a brave soldier has freely offered his life in their defence and, when in the hour of adversity they have been lowered, overpowered by the foe, many a brave heart has bit the dust. We might say that the history of our country is written on the banners of our “Fatherland”. The names emblazoned there speak, it is true of many a battlefield, of many a desperate struggle and of many a glorious victory won by British bravery. Gentlemen, your colours are not decorated by names such as Waterloo, Alma, Inkerman, Delhir Cawnpore, and many others I might mention. They are blank and may the God of Peace grant that in this land of adoption, it may be long before necessity of duty calls upon you to maintain the integrity of your colours and win their names. But if in the providence of God, either from internal commotion or external aggression, you should be called into action, may these colours, the token of your Corps, be upheld with the bravery of British Soldiers, their honour maintained with your lives, and may they never be lowered to a foe. Gentlemen, your motto directs: Onward, onward; may it be so Onward at the shout of victory”

Significance

This item is significant as The Kyneton Colour is the 2nd oldest Regimental Colour knownin Australia, and the oldest Australian Cavalry Colour. It is unique, in that it is hand made from an original design, there is no other colour of this type known to exist. The Kyneton District Mounted Rifles is the oldest ancestor unit of the 4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment and therefore is historicaly significant to the Regiment in particular and to Australian Military History in general.

Inscriptions & Markings

See description.

Place mats, large, set of 91

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Black, plastic covered place mats with silver embossed 4/19 PWLH Regiment badge in centre. Number reduced to 91after 4 stolen

Pistol, Webley MkVI, 0.455" - Lawson's Pistol

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Pistol, Webley, 0.455 inch

Significance

This pistol was carried by COL James Lawson, then Officer Commanding A Squadron 4th Australian Light Horse Regiment when he led the Regiment in the charge at Beersheba on 31 October 1917. It is available to be drawn by the current Officer Commanding A Squadron of the Regiment to carry on ceremonial parades commemorating the charge.

Inscriptions & Markings

Serial Number 187105

Audit Report - Australian National Audit Office - Management of the M113 Armoured Personnel Carrier Upgrade Project

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Side bound A4 size 78 page report

Historical information

The Regiment was equipped with M113 family vehicles, some of which deployed with 1 Troop A Squadron in South Vietnam

Inscriptions & Markings

ISSN 1036-7632 ISBN 0 642 808600

Portrait - Lt-Col G Garde RFD

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Framed oil painting of Lt-Col G Garde RFD

Historical information

Lt Col Garde was Commanding Officer of 4/19 Prince of Wales Light Horse Regiment from 1984 to 1986

Significance

One of a collection of portraits of former Commanding Officers of the Regiment

Portrait - Lt-Col A E McIntyre OBE ED

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Framed oil painting of Lt-Col A E McIntyre OBE ED (Reproduction)

Historical information

Lt-Col McIntyre was the first Commanding Officer of 4/19 Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment, serving from 1948 to 1952.

Significance

One of a collection of portraits of former Commanding Officers of the Regiment

Honour Board

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Honour Board, wooden construction, with gold lettering listing members of the 4th (late 20th) Corangamite Light Horse. Members who subsequently died on World War 1 service also listed.

16 mm Film - 1812 Rock Overture

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

Army Reserve Audio Visual - 3 minutes, 16 mm release print

Book - Australian Army Badges. A Collector's Reference Guide. Part 2. 1900-1930

4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment Unit History Room, Macleod

64 page book. Black & White illustrations

Inscriptions & Markings

ISBN 0 949530 12 3