Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Ambulance Victoria Museum Bayswater, Victoria

The Ambulance Museum was formed more than 30 years ago by serving and retired ambulance officers and other ambulance staff. After many years of operating a display and storage facility in Thomastown it relocated to 1/55 Barry Street Bayswater in 2015.

The Museum has a growing collection of more than 20 ambulances. Additionally, it has a large collection of memorabilia, documents and photographs. The Museum Archive, which includes some old Ambulance Victoria district service records, is available to researchers (by appointment only).

Membership is open to serving and retired paramedics, ambulance officers, ambulance employees, families of deceased ambulance employees and interested members of general public. The museum accepts group tours (by appointment). Our vehicle fleet is operable and available for hire to film companies and other organisations.

If you value Victoria's ambulance heritage and want to assist with its preservation, the Museum accepts tax deductible donations and is seeking both minor and major corporate sponsors.

For further information contact the museum curator at [email protected] on 0428813385 (office hours only).

UPDATE: On 18 July 2016 the museum took delivery of an early 1970s Dodge Ambulance. The vehicle is being restored to represent Car 208, Australia's first Mobile Intensive Care Ambulance (MICA). The Museum wants to make contact with former MICA paramedics who worked on Car 208 and its sister ambulances in the early 1970s.

Contact Information

location
1/55 Barry Street Bayswater Victoria 3153
phone
+61 0428813385 (office hours only)

Contact

Opening Hours

We are usually open Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 8am till 1pm but we can open at other times - call us before you visit and especially if you want to book a group tour!

Entry Fee

A modest group tour charge applies. For individual visitors a gold coin donation is appreciated.

Location

1/55 Barry Street Bayswater Victoria

A collection of medical equipment, vehicles, uniforms used by the ambulance service in Victoria, Australia. The collection also includes a range of paper-based items such as documents and photographs relating to the ambulance service.

Steve Eather 9 June 2016 1:14 PM

The Cadillac Club Of Victoria visited the Ambulance Historical Society Museum on Sunday 5th June and brought with them a fine display of their own vehicles whilst taking a great interest in our vintage Ambulances. Morning tea was provided and a presentation was given to all members in all there were some 50 members attended. A good time was had by all. One Cadillac Club member stated that “We had a great time, despite the weather, and we enjoyed your talk about some of the exhibits, and the (shocking) statistics, before we were ‘let loose’. It is a great museum you have there.”

Croyden Ladies Probus Club 11 October 2016 10:00 AM

Thank you for the great morning we had with you yesterday. It was very interesting and the morning tea was very nice, thank you Margaret! Croyden Ladies Probus

Leave a comment

402 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (322) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

402 items

Microphone, PYE

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Light blue microphone with red button.

Historical information

Used by unknown country ambulance service.

Inscriptions & Markings

PYE

Photograph, Ambulance, 1909, Renault

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Black and white photograph of ambulance. Two ambulance officers in cabin. third officer next to ambulance.

Historical information

First motor ambulance of St John Ambulance Brigade. 1909 Renault vehicle. Taken in exhibition gardens.

Inscriptions & Markings

ST. JOHN AMBULANCE

Box, ligatures, Catgut

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Rectangular, flat cardboard box with lid containing catgut ligatures for medical use. Made from black cardboard with yellow edging. The lid has a paper label adhered to surface printed in red, blue, and yellow. The underside of the box has a plain white label stuck over it.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label on lid "Three-spool Tank Package - Catgut Ligatures"

Book, Minutes, North Eastern Victoria District Ambulance Service committee, July 1979 to April 1986

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Red covered leather bound minutes book

Historical information

Minutes, North Eastern Victoria District Ambulance Service committee, July 1979 to April 1986

Photograph, ambulance, human powered

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Black and white photograph of hand drawn ambulance something like an Ashford Litter. Ambulance has red cross flag and canvas patient cover fitted (also with re cross symbol).

Historical information

Possibly some sort of military ambulance (suggested) by white red cross flag). Possibly used in First World War. Possibly some sort of gear mechanism on right hand wheel.

Painting, Ambulance Station, North Eastern Victoria District Ambulance Service, Wangaratta

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Timber framed water colour showing ambulance station seen from the road. Two cars present and several women and men are walking near the building. Ambulance Service logo has been adhered to the building.

Historical information

Created by architects Grant and Associates to show their concept for a new ambulance district headquarters and station in Wangaratta. This building was subsequently built and as of 2015 is still in use.

Microphone with cable attached - Microphone

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Benelec Microphone

Inscriptions & Markings

Dynamic Microphone model 7-704

Vehicle, motor, Ambulance, Nash, 1927

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Four-wheeled motor vehicle used as ambulance . Bodywork painted grey and white

Historical information

Ambulance body was made and fitted in Latrobe Street, Melbourne. When completed it went to Central Ambulance service in Sydney. It was later restored by Graham Tibbett and was later purchased by the Ambulance Historical Society of Victoria in 2010. This vehicle is believed to be the only one of its kind left in the world. Funds for the purchase of this vehicle came from the estate of former Paramedic Jack Vaux (officer no. 36 of Ringwood Ambulance).

Significance

This vehicle is believed to be the only one of its kind left in the world.

PYE F60 VHF BASE STATION - PYE F60 BASE

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Large Metal Blue cabinet holding a separate transmitter and reciever

Historical information

Solid state Receiver using germanium transistors. Valve Base 50 Watts

Significance

Communications equipment that transisioned from valves to solid state

Inscriptions & Markings

Pye Base Station F60

Card, Control Room, Ambulance Service

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Pale blue paper card with black printing on one side only.

Historical information

Control room cards; White cards were used for an immediate emergency response, and if the white card had a red corner it denoted "Accident". Blue cards were used to denote and record routine forward bookings such as patient transport requirements. The cards were used at the Latrobe street Ambulance Headquarters circa 1975.

Inscriptions & Markings

From To Car No.

Photograph, Ambulance

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Black and white photograph of ambulance 2-623 in from of building.

Historical information

Ford St John Ambulance probably in front of Adelaide headquarters

Inscriptions & Markings

ST JOHN AMBULANCE

Book, Victorian Civil Ambulance Service, financial accounts, 1942 to 1952

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Red coloured hard backed book

Historical information

Victorian Civil Ambulance Service, financial accounts, 1942 to 1952

Test unit, pulse monitor, Komesaroff

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

black box with handle and two latches. Contains operating instructions in lid and green electrical box and wires.

Historical information

test unit for pulse monitor made by Dr Komesaroffs Medical Developments company.Source Ian Donaldson AHSV assistant curator and retired paramedic 5 October 2016

Photograph, Ambulance Officers Training Centre Course 200, Recruit Course, 1977

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Black and White photograph of ambulance officer recruits

Historical information

Front Row L to R: J. Brereton, d. Catteral, M. Chilton, L. Cooke, P. Crew, K Crowle, J. Engledow, K. Filcock, K. Ford, R. Green, K. Holt, M. Hunting, C. Linke, S. Lamb, J. Lee. Back Row L to R: J. Lennon, D. Lumby. J. McDonald, P. Malone, T. Nunn, R. Paravinic, J. Poole, R. Reid, W. Sampey, P. Sanger, E. Schanssema, K Struthers, P. Turner, N. White, R. Williams, P. Williams. P. Worboys.

Ambulance, Motor, Studebaker, 1965

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

White Ambulance

Inscriptions & Markings

East Gippsland Ambulance Service

Photograph, St John Ambulance Station

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Black and white photograph of a St John Ambulance Station with two cars in garage and two ambulance officers in front.

Historical information

inscription on back of photograph states '1913 to 1919 25/- per week' (wages?)

Inscriptions & Markings

ST JOHN AMBULANCE 3354 671

Box, Bandage, Red Chain

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Cardboard box containing bandage 2 inches wide. Made from white cardboard with blue, red, and yellow printing.

Inscriptions & Markings

Red Chain bandage 2 inches 6 Yards

Book, Minutes, South Western Victoria Ambulance Service committee, July 1976 to January 1983

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Dark blue binder containing loose leaf minutes

Historical information

Minutes, South Western Victoria Ambulance Service committee, July 1976 to January 1983

MA38 Oxy-viva - universal oxygen resuscitator

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

hard red leather case with oxy valves

Inscriptions & Markings

MA38 oxy-viva operating instructions

Ambulance, Dodge, 1975

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

White Dodge Ambulance

Historical information

This vehicle was used for patient clinic runs between Morabbin and Kingston Hospital. It then was modified into an ambulance mobile communications vehicle. Found to be too small to fulfil this role it was later allocated to the Healesville State Emergency Service. It then returned to Ambulance Victoria where it was stored at Eltham for ten years. The vehicle was repaired mechanically by Bill Redpath in 2016 and repainted. It will be restored internally by AHSV members and former MICA paramedics to represent Car 208, Victoria's and Australia's first Mobile Intensive Care Ambulance (MICA). The AHSV holds some of the original equipment from Car 208 and this will be refitted into the Dodge.

Photograph, framed - The Fleet and Officers on parade outside Headquarters in Lonsdale Street - circa 1940

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Black and white photograph (Print) with mountboard surround, enclosed in a timber frame (painted green) with Perspex glazing. Hanging string attached at back.

Book, Minutes, North Eastern Victoria District Ambulance Service committee, May 1986 to April 1988

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Red covered leather bound minutes book

Historical information

Minutes, North Eastern Victoria District Ambulance Service committee, May 1986 to April 1988

Cap peaked, Rural Ambulance Victoria

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

White rigid ribbed peaked cap. Rural Ambulance Victoria badge on front of cap. Black plastic chin strap band above with plain gold coloured button on either end. Gold coloured plastic band in a wreath design either side of top of peak. Large red and white chequered band between the cap and the peak. Maker inscribed on plastic label inside cap.

Jacket, Uniform, Flight Sister, Air Ambulance Victoria

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Grey button up jacket with half wing Air Ambulance Victoria logo on left breast

Historical information

Worn by Air Ambulance Victoria female flight nurses who flew in fixed wing air ambulance aircraft providing in-flight care of patients. Probably used between the 1960s and 1980s.

Significance

This item is one of only two in the museums collection and the object is probably one of very few in existence.

Inscriptions & Markings

Air Ambulance Victoria

Remote Response Back Pack

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Blue vinyl construction with black back pack straps with outside storage pockets. Interior contains first aid consumables contained within clear inserts. Outside has reflective tapes.

Time clock, Simplex, JCG4L4

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Grey metal box. Clock face set in centre and slit in bottom. Cut power cord at back.

Historical information

Used to record the start/finish times and days of work by its employees. A card with a unique employee identifier was inserted in the machine by the employee at the start and end of a shirt and the information was sent to the human resources/pay section to allow the updating of staff records and pays. This example was in in use at the Victorian Civil Ambulance Service from at leats the early 1960s (source Chas Martin AHSV curator 17 October 2016).

Inscriptions & Markings

Clock on and off

Book, accounts, North East Region, November 1978 to August 1979 with additional information through to June 1982

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Red hard covered book

Historical information

accounts, North East Region, November 1978 to August 1979 with additional information through to June 1982

Photograph, framed - The first ambulance in Victoria, outside Eastern Hill fire station - 1899

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Black and white photograph (Print) with mountboard surround, enclosed in a timber frame (painted green) with Perspex glazing. Hanging string attached at back.

Ambulance, Cart, Human Propelled, Ashford Litter

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Two wheeled ambulance cart with sprung wheels.

Historical information

in 1887 six Ashford Litters were purchased by St John Ambulance Association after Lady Janet Clarke (of Rupertswood) and her friends raised enough money to allow these items to be ordered. These were Victoria's first official ambulances. The litter consisted of a two wheeled undercarriage with elliptical springs which supported a stretcher. It has four legs which support the carriage when stationary but fold up to form handles so that one person could push the machine while another pushed. Four Ashford Litter ambulances were located at the Russell Street, Little Bourke Street, King Street and West Melbourne police stations. Another was located at the Melbourne Town Hall on Swanston Street and from 1896 the sixth was located at the Eastern Hill Metropolitan Fire Brigade station. Initially is was expected that police and fire fighters would take patients to hospitals if required.

Book, Victorian Civil Ambulance Service, Vehicle Replacement Account, June 1962 to September 1972

Ambulance Victoria Museum, Bayswater

Blue hard covered book

Historical information

Victorian Civil Ambulance Service, Vehicle Replacement Account, June 1962 to September 1972

Inscriptions & Markings

Invicta