Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia Fremantle, Western Australia 6160, Western Australia

Links

Contact Information

location
Artillery Barracks Burt Street Fremantle Western Australia 6160
phone
+61 +61 8 9430 2535

Opening Hours

CURRENTLY CLOSED DUE TO COVID-19 PANDEMIC. 10:30 to 3 pm Wednesday through Sunday. Last entry 1pm.

Entry Fee

Adult $15, Child/Concession $10, Family $35

Location

Artillery Barracks Burt Street Fremantle, Western Australia 6160 Western Australia

The focus of the collection is to tell the story of the Australian Army in Western Australia and Western Australians in the Army. Galleries cover the period from initial contact through to the present. Collection items include large armoured vehicles and artillery pieces, weapons, uniforms, medals and personal equipment. The social history of military service and conflict is presented through diaries, oral histories, personal archives and personal objects. The collection includes connections to next of kin, bereavement, repatriation and commemoration.

72 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (72) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

72 items

Diorama

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

1:1 scale diorama showing soldier of Australian soldier of the 7th Division at the time of the advance into the Markham and Ramu Valleys, September 1943

Historical information

This diorama is the introductory feature in the World War 2 Gallery - New Guinea and Islands area. A private soldier is shown in mixture of green and khaki uniforms, US style long leggings, long trousers with Thompson and Owen guns.

Significance

The diorama shows the gradual introduction of green uniform elements and recognition of passive anti malaria measures (long sleeve and long pants)

Stereographic Image

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Cape Town and its Harbour - the Metropolis and Sea-port of South Africa Stereoscope #4 from a boxed set "For Queen and Flag: South Africa 1900" by Underwood and Underwood, Publishers

Inscriptions & Markings

Works and Studios: Arlington NJ; Littleton NH; Washington DC

Stereographic Image

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

2nd WA Contingent Embarking on SS Surrey at Fremantle. Published in Australian Stereoscopic Views, WA Series, Photographed and published by Craig and Solin, Fremantle and Kalgoorlie

Historical information

The 1st Contingent departed Fremantle on 7 November 1899 and returned on 29 December 1900. The 2nd Contingent departed 3 February 1900 and returned 8 December 1900. Due to the shortage of khaki material, the 1st Contingent uniforms wore their blue militia tunics, blue puttees and a dark blue puggaree on departure. An Anglo Boer War Service of Reconciliation is held annually on the first Sunday in June at the "Fallen Soldiers" (Boer War) Memorial in Kings Park attended by descendants and representative of all combatant nations. The date selected is the closest Sunday to the date of signing of the Treaty or Peace of Vereeniging (31 May 1902). The culmination of the service is the laying of the Emily Hobhouse wreath.

Significance

Unique series of stereoscopic images showing both the 1st and 2nd West Australian Mounted Infantry Contingents to the Anglo Boer War. Images contain details of uniforms, accoutrements, camp life, civic honours and departure.

Inscriptions & Markings

Photographed and published by Craig and Solin, Fremantle and Kalgoorlie

Queen's Colour - 28th Battalion (The Swan Regiment)

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Union flag with gold fringes. In the centre the Arabic numeral "28" on a red background within a circle inscribed "TWENTY EIGHTH INFANTRY ", surmounted by the Crown. Emblazoned on the colour are the following Second World War Battle Honours:- DEFENCE OF TOBRUK, DEFENCE OF ALAMEIN LINE, QATTARA TRACK, EL ALAMEIN, LAE-NADZAB, BUSU RIVER, FINSCHHAFEN, SIKI COVE, BORNEO, LABUAN

Historical information

This former King's Colour was originally authorised by King George V in 1919 in recognition of services of 28th Battalion (AIF) during the Great War. Presented by HE the Governor General Sir Ronald Munro-Ferguson, PC, CGMG at a parade in King's Park on 2 October 1920 and handed over to 2nd Battalion, 28th Infantry Regiment of the Citizen Forces. This colour was passed on to 28th Battalion, which was created, from other units in 1921. The colour was subsequently consecrated by the Chaplain General, Archbishop COL Riley, OBE, VD,DD at a parade on the Esplanade, Perth, 15 November 1924. At the time of presentation this colour was a plain union flag with no central devices or other distinctions included on it. Following Military Board approval given in 1925 the centre circle and Crown were later added, in accordance with the approved design for a King's Colour. With the re-activation of the Citizen Military Forces (CMF) following the Second World War, the 16th/28th Infantry Battalion (The Cameron Highlanders of Western Australia) was raised as a linked battalion in 1948 to carry on the identity and traditions of the pre-war 16th and 28th Battalions respectively. The King's and Regimental Colours formerly held by these two battalions were passed on to the new battalion who paraded them in rotation on ceremonial occasions. The above battalion became unlinked in March 1952 and 28th Infantry Battalion (The Swan Regiment) became an independent battalion within its own right. The former colours of 28th Battalion were handed back at a parade at Northam Camp on 24 August 1952. With the accession of HM Queen Elizabeth II to the throne in 1953, all Colours that had originally been presented as King's Colours, and were still carried by units on the current Order of Battle, were automatically deemed to be Queen's Colours. Under major reorganisation of the CMF in 1960, all individual infantry battalions that existed at the time within each State were amalgamated to form State regiments, taking effect from 1 July 1960. Thus from that date the 11/44th, 16th and 28th Infantry Battalions were amalgamated to form The Royal Western Australia Regiment. In September 1960, at a ceremonial parade held at Northam Camp, the Colours carried by all former battalions were handed over for safe keeping by the new regiment. Battle Honours for the Second World War were promulgated under Australian Army Order 135/1961 and the 10 selected honours approved for emblazoning on the Queen's Colour were subsequently added in 1962 These former colours were subsequently laid up in the undercroft at the State War Memorial, King's Park on 29 November 1964. These were transferred to the Army Museum of WA in 1988 as part of the Bicentenary Colours Project.

Diorama

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

1:1 scale diorama showing mounted trooper of 10th Australian Light Horse Regiment in Palestine 1918 and dismounted Ottoman soldier

Historical information

This diorama is the central feature in the World War 1 Gallery - Middle East Campaigns sequence and shows typical uniforms and accoutrements of the Australian Light Horse and Ottoman infantry.

Significance

This diorama attempts to convey the conditions experienced and the country traversed during "The Great Ride"

Photograph

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Richmond, Australia VAD Dorothy Hobbs (left), Richmond Military Hospital. Digital copy of photograph from a personal album of Lieutenant General JJT Hobbs.

Queen's Colour - 44th Battalion (The West Australian Rifles)

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Union flag with gold fringes. In the centre the Arabic numeral "44" on a red background within a circle inscribed "FORTY FOURTH INFANTRY ", surmounted by the Imperial Crown.

Historical information

This former King's Colour was originally authorised by King George V in 1919 in recognition of services of 44th Battalion (AIF) during the Great War. Presented by HE the Governor General Sir Ronald Munro-Ferguson, PC, CGMG at a parade in King's Park on 2 October, 1920, however was not passed on to any AMF counterpart unit of the Citizen Forces, as one did not exist at the time. 44th Battalion (AMF) was formed in 1921 from elements of 16th and 51st Infantry Regiments and was presented with this colour by the Governor of Western Australia Sir Robert Furse McMillan at the Anzac Day parade on the Esplanade, Perth on 25 April 1922. The colour was subsequently consecrated by the Chaplain General, Archbishop COL Riley, OBE, VD, DD at a parade on the Esplanade, Perth, 15 November 1924. At the time of presentation this colour was a plain union flag with no central devices or other distinctions included on it. Following Military Board approval given in 1925 the centre circle and Crown were later added, in accordance with the approved design for a King's Colour. With the re-activation of the Citizen Military Forces (CMF) following the Second World War, the 11th/44th Infantry Battalion (The City of Perth Regiment) was raised as a linked battalion in 1948 to carry on the identity and traditions of the pre-war 11th and 44th Battalions respectively. The King's and Regimental Colours formerly held by these two battalions were passed on to the new battalion who paraded them in rotation on ceremonial occasions. With the accession of HM Queen Elizabeth II to the throne in 1953, all Colours that had originally been presented as King's Colours, and were still carried by units on the current Order of Battle, were automatically deemed to be Queen's Colours. Under major reorganisation of the CMF in 1960, all individual infantry battalions that existed at the time within each State were amalgamated to form State regiments, taking effect from 1 July 1960. Thus from that date the 11/44th, 16th and 28th Infantry Battalions were amalgamated to form The Royal Western Australia Regiment. In September 1960, at a ceremonial parade held at Northam Camp, the Colours carried by all former battalions were handed over for safe keeping by the new regiment. These former colours were subsequently laid up in the undercroft at the State War Memorial, King's Park on 29 November 1964. These were transferred to the Army Museum of WA in 1988 as part of the Bicentenary Colours Project.

Glass Slide

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Large format glass slide for theatre announcement. "All soldiers on leave will return immediately to their units by the quickest normal means"

Historical information

Theatre notice produced by Whitfords Theatre Ads Perth for use during World War 2.

Regimental Colour - 28th Battalion (The Swan Regiment)

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Dark green with gold fringe. In the centre the battalion colour patch of a white over blue diamond within a circle inscribed "TWENTY EIGHTH INFANTRY", the whole surrounded with a wreath of Australian wattle and surmounted by the Crown. In the upper canton the Arabic numeral "28". Battle Honours emblazoned on the colour:- POZIERES, BULLECOURT, YPRES 1917, MENIN ROAD, PASSCHENDAELE, AMIENS, MONT ST QUENTIN, HINDENBURG LINE, GALLIPOLI 1915, EGYPT 1915-16

Historical information

Presented by Lieutenant-General Sir JJ Talbot Hobbs, KCB, KCMG, VD, LLD at a parade held on the Esplanade, Perth, 22 October 1927. With the re-activation of the Citizen Military Forces (CMF) following the Second World War, the 16th/28th Infantry Battalion (The Cameron Highlanders of Western Australia) was raised as a linked battalion in 1948 to carry on the identity and traditions of the pre-war 16th and 28th Battalions respectively. The King's and Regimental Colours formerly held by these two battalions were passed on to the new battalion who paraded them in rotation on ceremonial occasions. The above battalion became unlinked in March 1952 and 28th Infantry Battalion (The Swan Regiment) became an independent battalion within its own right. The former colours of 28th Battalion were handed back at a parade at Northam Camp on 24 August 1952. Under major reorganisation of the CMF in 1960, all individual infantry battalions that existed at the time within each State were amalgamated to form State regiments, taking effect from 1 July 1960. Thus from that date the 11/44th, 16th and 28th Infantry Battalions were amalgamated to form The Royal Western Australia Regiment. In September 1960, at a ceremonial parade held at Northam Camp, the Colours carried by all former battalions were handed over for safe keeping by the new regiment. These former colours were subsequently laid up in the undercroft at the State War Memorial, King's Park on 29 November 1964. These were transferred to the Army Museum of WA in 1988 as part of the Bicentenary Colours Project. At the time of presentation this colour was a plain union flag with no central devices or other distinctions included on it. Following Military Board approval given in 1925 the centre circle and Crown were later added, in accordance with the approved design for a King's Colour. With the re-activation of the Citizen Military Forces (CMF) following the Second World War, the 16th/28th Infantry Battalion (The Cameron Highlanders of Western Australia) was raised as a linked battalion in 1948 to carry on the identity and traditions of the pre-war 16th and 28th Battalions respectively. The King's and Regimental Colours formerly held by these two battalions were passed on to the new battalion who paraded them in rotation on ceremonial occasions. The above battalion became unlinked in March 1952 and 28th Infantry Battalion (The Swan Regiment) became an independent battalion within its own right. The former colours of 28th Battalion were handed back at a parade at Northam Camp on 24 August 1952. With the accession of HM Queen Elizabeth II to the throne in 1953, all Colours that had originally been presented as King's Colours, and were still carried by units on the current Order of Battle, were automatically deemed to be Queen's Colours. Under major reorganisation of the CMF in 1960, all individual infantry battalions that existed at the time within each State were amalgamated to form State regiments, taking effect from 1 July 1960. Thus from that date the 11/44th, 16th and 28th Infantry Battalions were amalgamated to form The Royal Western Australia Regiment. In September 1960, at a ceremonial parade held at Northam Camp, the Colours carried by all former battalions were handed over for safe keeping by the new regiment. Battle Honours for the Second World War were promulgated under Australian Army Order 135/1961 and the 10 selected honours approved for emblazoning on the Queen's Colour were subsequently added in 1962 These former colours were subsequently laid up in the undercroft at the State War Memorial, King's Park on 29 November 1964. These were transferred to the Army Museum of WA in 1988 as part of the Bicentenary Colours Project.

Photograph

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

September 1917, Menin Road, Ypres, Belgium. Digital copy of photograph from a personal album of Lieutenant General JJT Hobbs.

Photograph

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

A wireless signal tanks on what was "No Mans Land". Digital copy of photograph from a personal album of Lieutenant General JJT Hobbs.

Stereographic Image

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

First Roll Call in South Africa. Yorkshire Battalion, Cape Town Stereoscope #5 from a boxed set "For Queen and Flag: South Africa 1900" by Underwood and Underwood, Publishers

Inscriptions & Markings

Works and Studios: Arlington NJ; Littleton NH; Washington DC

Diorama

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

1:1 scale diorama showing a Lewis gunner of 44th Battalion, 11th Brigade, 3rd Division, Australian Imperial Force in May 1918

Historical information

This diorama is the introductory feature in the World War 1 Gallery - 1918 experience. The figure shows details of the Lewis gun and webbing including the documented but irregular positioning of the entrenching tool.

Significance

The diorama text discusses the transition from manpower to firepower with the restructure of infantry battalions to incorporate more light machine guns and to give the platoon an all round versus specialist capability. The increase in firepower and the reduction to three from four battalions in an infantry regiment in part offset the decline in voluntary recruitment. The offensive capabilities of an infantry battalion was therefore generally maintained but with 700 men instead of 1100 when fully manned .

Stereographic Image

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Return of the Troops to SS Surrey from Perth. 2nd Australian Contingent. Published in Australian Stereoscopic Views, WA Series, Photographed and published by Craig and Solin, Fremantle and Kalgoorlie

Historical information

The 1st Contingent departed Fremantle on 7 November 1899 and returned on 29 December 1900. The 2nd Contingent departed 3 February 1900 and returned 8 December 1900. Due to the shortage of khaki material, the 1st Contingent uniforms wore their blue militia tunics, blue puttees and a dark blue puggaree on departure. An Anglo Boer War Service of Reconciliation is held annually on the first Sunday in June at the "Fallen Soldiers" (Boer War) Memorial in Kings Park attended by descendants and representative of all combatant nations. The date selected is the closest Sunday to the date of signing of the Treaty or Peace of Vereeniging (31 May 1902). The culmination of the service is the laying of the Emily Hobhouse wreath.

Significance

Unique series of stereoscopic images showing both the 1st and 2nd West Australian Mounted Infantry Contingents to the Anglo Boer War. Images contain details of uniforms, accoutrements, camp life, civic honours and departure.

Inscriptions & Markings

Photographed and published by Craig and Solin, Fremantle and Kalgoorlie

Regimental Colour - 16th Battalion (The Cameron Highlanders of Western Australia)

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Dark green with gold fringes. In the centre the battalion colour patch of a white over blue rectangle within a circle inscribed "SIXTEENTH BATTALION", surrounded with a wreath of Australian wattle and surmounted by the Imperial Crown. Below the wreath a scroll inscribed with the regimental motto "VINCENS". In the upper canton the Arabic numeral "16". Battle Honours emblazoned on the Colour: SOUTH AFRICA 1899-1902 , POZIERES, BULLECOURT, MESSINES 1917, YPRES 1917, POLYGON WOOD, HAMEL, AMIENS, HINDENBURG LINE, LANDING AT ANZAC, SARI BAIR

Historical information

Presented, together with a new King's Colour, by Major-General JS Whitelaw, CB, CBE at a parade of the 16th/28th Infantry Battalion (The Cameron Highlanders of Western Australia) held on the Esplanade, Perth, 26 August 1951. (Refer to item 7 for specific details relating to these new colours and for details of previous colours presented to 16th Battalion). 16th/28th Infantry Battalion became unlinked in March 1952 with both 16th and 28th becoming independent battalions within their own right Under major reorganisation of the CMF in 1960, all individual infantry battalions that existed at the time within each State were amalgamated to form State regiments, taking effect from 1 July 1960. Thus from that date the 11/44th, 16th and 28th Infantry Battalions were amalgamated to form The Royal Western Australia Regiment. In September 1960, at a ceremonial parade held at Northam Camp, the Colours carried by all former battalions were handed over for safe keeping by the new regiment. These former colours were subsequently laid up in the undercroft at the State War Memorial, King's Park on 29 November 1964. These were transferred to the Army Museum of WA in 1988 as part of the Bicentenary Colours Project. The battle honour for South Africa has incorrect year dates and should be "SOUTH AFRICA 1902". Reasons supporting this are:- • The Battle Honour "SOUTH AFRICA 1902" was originally granted under Military Order 123/1908 to the Goldfields Infantry Regiment of Western Australia. • Under 1921 reorganisation of the Citizen Forces, the existing units in the Goldfields area were formed into 16th Battalion (The Goldfields Regiment) to maintain the identity and traditions of 16th Battalion (AIF). This unit inherited the above battle honour. • All editions of the Australian Army List since 1927 have shown this battle honour for 16th Battalion as "SOUTH AFRICA 1902".

Photograph

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

West Indian Troops with the Australian Gunners. Digital copy of photograph from a personal album of Lieutenant General JJT Hobbs.

King's Banner - 1st Battalion, 11th Australian Infantry Regiment (Perth Regiment)

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Plain Union flag with red and gold fringe. Red and gold chord and tassels. Pike with Royal Crest pike head. A silver plate attached to lower portion of pike inscribed as follows: "Presented by His Most Gracious Majesty The King Emperor to 1st Battalion, 11th Australian Infantry Regiment Perth Regiment formerly 1st and 2nd Battalions Western Australian Infantry in recognition of services rendered to the Empire in South Africa 1899-1902".

Historical information

In 1909 His Majesty King Edward VII directed that honorary banners be presented to the Australian Infantry Regiments in commemoration of the services of their members who had volunteered for the South African War 1899-1902. (Promulgated under Military Order 132/1909). These would be similar to those presented to Australian Light Horse Regiments, Royal Australian Artillery and Australian Army Medical Corps in 1904. This Banner was presented to 1st Battalion, 11th Australian Infantry Regiment (Perth Regiment) by HE the Governor of WA Sir Gerald Strickland, KCMG, at a parade held on the Esplanade, Perth, 18 February 1911. Consecrated by the Right Reverend COL. Riley, DD, VD, Senior Chaplain of the Australian Commonwealth Military Forces. This banner was subsequently inherited by successor units to the 11th Australian Infantry Regiment (Perth Regiment), including 88th (Perth) Infantry, 11th Battalion (The Perth Regiment) and 11th/16th Battalion. The banner was handed over to the Perth City Council at a special parade of the 11th/16th Battalion held in Forrest Place on 7 June 1930, and was laid up in the Council Chambers in Murray Street. Together with the other historic colours handed over at the time (see Reference items 1 and 3), this banner later went into storage when Council moved premises in the early 1960's. Perth City Council had some restoration work carried out on these colours in 1975 and later had them on display in their display room at Council House, St Georges Terrace. They were subsequently placed in storage again. Following negotiations by the Army Museum of WA Perth City Council passed on these Colours to the Museum in November 1993.

Queen's Colour - 11th Australian Infantry Regiment (Perth Regiment)

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Union flag with gold fringes. In the centre the Arabic numeral "11" on a red background within a gold circle inscribed "ELEVENTH INFANTRY - PERTH REGIMENT", surmounted by the Crown. Emblazoned on the colour are the following Second World War Battle Honours:- BARDIA 1941, CAPTURE OF TOBRUK, DERNA, BRALLOS PASS, RETIMO, LIBERATION OF AUSTRALIAN NEW GUINEA, MATAPAU, ABAU-MALIN, WEWAK, WIRUI MISSION

Historical information

This former King's Colour was originally authorised by King George V in 1919 in recognition of services of 11th Battalion (AIF) during the Great War. Presented by HE the Governor General Sir Ronald Munro-Ferguson, PC, CGMG at a parade in King's Park on 2 October 1920 and handed over to 2nd Battalion, 11th Infantry Regiment (Perth Regiment) of the Citizen Forces. In 1921 this unit became re-designated 11th Battalion (The Perth Regiment) (The title was changed to "The City of Perth Regiment" in 1933). Subsequently consecrated by the Chaplain General, Archbishop COL Riley, OBE, VD, DD at a parade on the Esplanade, Perth, 15 November 1924. At the time of presentation this colour was a plain union flag with no central devices or other distinctions included on it. Following Military Board approval given in 1925 the centre circle and Crown were later added, in accordance with the approved design for a King's Colour. With the re-activation of the Citizen Military Forces (CMF) following the Second World War, the 11th/44th Infantry Battalion (The City of Perth Regiment) was raised as a linked battalion in 1948 to carry on the identity and traditions of the pre-war 11th and 44th Battalions respectively. The King's and Regimental Colours formerly held by these two battalions were passed on to the new battalion who paraded them in rotation on ceremonial occasions. With the accession of HM Queen Elizabeth II to the throne in 1953, all Colours that had originally been presented as King's Colours, and were still carried by units on the current Order of Battle, were automatically deemed to be Queen's Colours. Under major reorganisation of the CMF in 1960, all individual infantry battalions that existed at the time within each State were amalgamated to form State regiments, taking effect from 1 July 1960. Thus from that date the 11/44th, 16th and 28th Infantry Battalions were amalgamated to form The Royal Western Australia Regiment. In September 1960, at a ceremonial parade held at Northam Camp, the Colours carried by all former battalions were handed over for safe keeping by the new regiment. Battle Honours for the Second World War were promulgated under Australian Army Order 135/1961 and the 10 selected honours approved for emblazoning on the Queen's Colour were subsequently added in 1962 These former colours were subsequently laid up in the undercroft at the State War Memorial, King's Park on 29 November 1964. These were transferred to the Army Museum of WA in 1988 as part of the Bicentenary Colours Project.

Guidon - 10th Light Horse Regiment

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Crimson with gold fringes, swallow tailed end (traditional cavalry Guidon shape). In the centre a black swan within a circle inscribed "10th LIGHT HORSE (WAMI)", across the lower portion of the circle a scroll inscribed with the regimental motto "PERCUTE ET PERCUTE VELOCITER", the whole surrounded with a wreath of Australian wattle and surmounted by the Crown. In the upper canton the roman numeral "X" Below the whole centrepiece is the regimental colour patch in black over gold diagonals in a rectangle and below that is the battle honour SOUTH AFRICA 1900-02 . Emblazoned on either side of the centrepiece are ten selected battle honours from the Great War: DEFENCE OF ANZAC, SARI BAIR, RUMANI, MAGHDABA-RAFAH, GAZA-BEERSHEBA, JERUSALEM, JORDAN (ES SALT), MEGIDDO, SHARON, DAMASCUS. The battle honour for South Africa for unknown reasons was not included on the guidon when originally presented in 1928, and was not emblazoned on the Guidon until the early 1950's. Other related facts:- • The battle honour "South Africa 1900-02" was granted under MO 123/1908 to 18th Australian Light Horse Regiment which was the predecessor Militia Light Horse regiment existing at the time. • This battle honour appeared under 10th Light Horse Regiment in the Australian Army List from 1928 onwards. • Having the battle honour added at a later date would explain why this battle honour is positioned on the lower portion of the guidon in the centre. At the time of approving battle honours for the Great War, the authorised position for any pre-existing South Africa battle honour was in the top left corner of the Guidon or colour, followed by the battle honours of the Great War. (AAO 112/1927).

Historical information

Presented to 10th Light Horse Regiment (West Australian Mounted Infantry) by Lt-General Sir Harry Chauvel, GCMG, KCB on the Esplanade, Perth, 10 March 1928. Consecrated by Senior Chaplain COL Riley, OBE, VD, DD. Later carried by the post-World War Two unit, 10th West Australian Mounted Infantry, raised as a CMF unit of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps in 1949 as a direct successor unit to the above light horse regiment. This unit was redesignated as 10th Light Horse in 1956. The Guidon was laid up at the State War Memorial, King's Park on 10 June 1967, following presentation of a new Guidon to 10th Light Horse in 1966. It was transferred to the Army Museum of WA in 1988 as part of the Bicentenary Colours Project.

Grafitti

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Wall panel retrieved from Midland ammunition deport. "Here reposes Danny McLouder. He fouled up handling black powder"

Historical information

No documentation available.

Photograph

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Camouflaged artillery. Australians with their guns and limbers camouflaged with foliage. Digital copy of photograph from a personal album of Lieutenant General JJT Hobbs.

Regimental Colour - 16th Battalion, The Royal Western Australia Regiment

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Royal blue with gold and red fringes. In the centre the main device from the regimental badge consisting of a black swan upon a pair of crossed rifles on a red background, within a circle inscribed "THE ROYAL WESTERN AUSTRALIA REGIMENT". The whole enclosed within a wreath of Australian wattle and surmounted by the Crown. Across the lower portion of the wreath a scroll inscribed with the regimental motto "VIGILANT". In the upper canton the Roman numeral "XVI" (Originally this was the numeral "I" - changed to "XVI" in 1966 - see Historical Background details below) Battle honours emblazoned on the colour : SOUTH AFRICA 1899-1902, SOMME 1916-18, POZIERES, BULLECOURT, MESSINES 1917, YPRES 1917, PASSCHENDAELE, AMIENS, MONT ST QUENTIN, HINDENBURG LINE, LANDING AT ANZAC

Historical information

Presented to 1st Battalion, The Royal Western Australia Regiment by Field Marshall HRH The Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh at a parade held at the Western Australian Cricket Association Ground, East Perth on 25 November 1962. The Royal Western Australia Regiment was formed on 1 July 1960 from the amalgamation of the following existing infantry battalions in the State at the time :- • 11th/44th Infantry Battalion (The City of Perth Regiment) • 16th Infantry Battalion (The Cameron Highlanders of Western Australia) • 28th Infantry Battalion (The Swan Regiment) At the above presentation of colours to the new battalion, the Colours of the former battalions (four sets of Queen's and Regimental colours) were trooped through the ranks of the battalion and marched off the parade for the last time. These former colours were subsequently laid up in the undercroft at the State War Memorial, King's Park on 29 November 1964. These were transferred to the Army Museum of WA in 1988 as part of the Bicentenary Colours Project. (Refer to Items 4-12 for individual records of these colours) 1st Battalion, The Royal Western Australia Regiment was renumbered 16th Battalion effective from 1st January 1966 as part of a move to reintroduce the old battalion numbers back into the State Regimental system 16th Battalion, The Royal Western Australia Regiment was presented with a new set of Colours on 27 October 2002. The original 1962 Colours were formally handed over for safe keeping to the Army Museum of Western Australia on 3 November 2002. Battle Honours allocated to the State Infantry Regiments created under the CMF reorganisation in July 1960 were promulgated in Australian Army Order 85/1962. These were a consolidation of the battle honours awarded to the various individual battalions that were amalgamated to form the new regiments.

Stereoscopic Image

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

2nd Contingent Soldiers in Procession, High Street, Fremantle. Published in Australian Stereoscopic Views, WA Series, Photographed and published by Craig and Solin, Fremantle and Kalgoorlie

Historical information

The 1st Contingent departed Fremantle on 7 November 1899 and returned on 29 December 1900. The 2nd Contingent departed 3 February 1900 and returned 8 December 1900. Due to the shortage of khaki material, the 1st Contingent uniforms wore their blue militia tunics, blue puttees and a dark blue puggaree on departure. An Anglo Boer War Service of Reconciliation is held annually on the first Sunday in June at the "Fallen Soldiers" (Boer War) Memorial in Kings Park attended by descendants and representative of all combatant nations. The date selected is the closest Sunday to the date of signing of the Treaty or Peace of Vereeniging (31 May 1902). The culmination of the service is the laying of the Emily Hobhouse wreath.

Significance

Unique series of stereoscopic images showing both the 1st and 2nd West Australian Mounted Infantry Contingents to the Anglo Boer War. Images contain details of uniforms, accoutrements, camp life, civic honours and departure.

Inscriptions & Markings

Photographed and published by Craig and Solin, Fremantle and Kalgoorlie

Photograph

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

General Hobbs outside his tent HQ, Tel el Kebir, Egypt February 1917. Digital copy of photograph from a personal album of Lieutenant General JJT Hobbs.

Stereographic Image

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Marines of HMS "Niobe" cheering news from the front, Capetown, South Africa Stereoscope #3 from a boxed set "For Queen and Flag: South Africa 1900" by Underwood and Underwood, Publishers

Inscriptions & Markings

Works and Studios: Arlington NJ; Littleton NH; Washington DC

Queen's Colour - 16th Battalion (The Cameron Highlanders of Western Australia)

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Union flag with gold fringe. In the centre the Arabic numeral "16" on a red background within a circle inscribed "SIXTEENTH BATTALION", surmounted by the Crown. Emblazoned on the colour are the following Second World War Battle Honours:- NORTH AFICA 1941, SYRIAN FRONTIER, THE LITANI, SIDON, WADI ZEINI, DAMOUR, KOKODA TRAIL, BUNA-GONA, LIBERATION OF AUSTRALIAN NEW GUINEA, BORNEO

Historical information

With the re-activation of the Citizen Military Forces (CMF) following the Second World War, the 16th/28th Infantry Battalion (The Cameron Highlanders of Western Australia) was raised in 1948 to carry on the identity and traditions of the pre-war 16th and 28th Battalions respectively. The King's and Regimental Colours formerly held by these two battalions were passed on to the new battalion who paraded them in rotation on ceremonial occasions It was decided in 1950 that a new set of Colours would be presented to 16th Battalion. For reasons that still remain unclear, these were manufactured under local arrangement by "cannibalising" the original 1933 set of colours and transferring the devices and battle honours (in the case of the Regimental Colour) to the new Colours. (Reported by Western Command to the Adjutant General -reference file A 107/1/11 dated 30 April 1952). These new colours were presented by Major-General JS Whitelaw, CB, CBE at a parade of the 16th/28th Infantry Battalion held on the Esplanade, Perth, 26 August 1951. (For details of Colours previously presented to 16th Battalion see separate section below). 16th/28th Infantry Battalion became unlinked in March 1952 with both 16th and 28th becoming independent battalions within their own right. With the accession of HM Queen Elizabeth II to the throne in 1953, all Colours that had originally been presented as King's Colours, and were still carried by units on the current Order of Battle, were automatically deemed to be Queen's Colours. Under major reorganisation of the CMF in 1960, all individual infantry battalions that existed at the time within each State were amalgamated to form State regiments, taking effect from 1 July 1960. Thus from that date the 11/44th, 16th and 28th Infantry Battalions were amalgamated to form The Royal Western Australia Regiment. In September 1960, at a ceremonial parade held at Northam Camp, the Colours carried by all former battalions were handed over for safe keeping by the new regiment. Battle Honours for the Second World War were promulgated under Australian Army Order 135/1961 and the 10 selected honours approved for emblazoning on the Queen's Colour were subsequently added in 1962 These former colours were subsequently laid up in the undercroft at the State War Memorial, King's Park on 29 November 1964. These were transferred to the Army Museum of WA in 1988 as part of the Bicentenary Colours Project Previous Colours presented to 16th Battalion The designation "16th" was allocated to several different infantry battalions that had been raised at different stages during changes to organisational structure of the Citizen Forces during the 1920's and 1930's. The original King's Colour awarded for service of 16th Battalion (AIF) and received in 1920 by the Citizen Force unit 2nd Battalion, 16th Infantry Regiment was later passed on to 16th Battalion (The Goldfields Regiment) which had been raised in the Kalgoorlie area in 1921. This unit became inactive and this Colour was later laid up in the Kalgoorlie Council Chambers. In order to maintain the identity of 16th Battalion as a Citizen Force unit, in 1930 11th Battalion (The Perth Regiment) was reformed as a linked battalion under the designation 11th/16th Battalion. As the 11th Battalion had already received its set of colours in the 1920's, it was decided that a set of King's and Regimental Colours be presented for 16th Battalion. These were presented by HE the Lieutenant-Governor Sir James Mitchell, KCMG at a parade of 11th/16th Battalion held at Perth Oval on 15 October 1933. The colours were consecrated by the Chaplain General, Archbishop COL Riley, OBE, VD, DD. In 1936 16th Battalion was re-established as a separate battalion within its own right, being formed as 16th Battalion (The Cameron Highlanders of Western Australia). The colours presented in 1933 were passed on to this new battalion and were also initially carried by the post-World War Two unit 16th/28th Infantry Battalion (The Cameron Highlanders of Western Australia) as already mentioned.

Stereographic Image

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Responding to the Call of a Beloved Queen. Arrival of a British Transport, South Africa Stereoscope #2 from a boxed set "For Queen and Flag: South Africa 1900" by Underwood and Underwood, Publishers

Inscriptions & Markings

Works and Studios: Arlington NJ; Littleton NH; Washington DC

Armoured Fighting Vehicle

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Centurion Tank Mark V

Photograph

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

A pack mule carrying water. Digital copy of photograph from a personal album of Lieutenant General JJT Hobbs.

Poem

Australian Army Museum of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160

Transcription of poem by Signals instructor Sgt JF Larkins presented to Signal Woman Ruth Franklin during Training in 1943. Read during 75th anniversary commemoration of proofing of Oliver Hill Battery, Rottnest Island. Computer printed on A4 bond paper.

Historical information

SIGNALWOMEN An appreciation by an instructor (Sgt J.F. Larkins). Presented to Signalwoman Ruth Franklin after training in Melbourne 1942. After training, Ruth served on Rottnest Island as a communicator in the Plotting Room, Oliver Hill “Join the Corps of Signals”, the clarion call went forth, “Volunteer for the A.W.A.S. and let another man go north.” So you came into the Signals, in Australia’s hour of need, And let a thousand men go up the line, to meet the yellow breed. Where the lazy Yarra flows, through the green Victorian glade, They formed a school of Signals, to teach you in our trade, And the Old Ones, they were cynical, their tones were full of Jeers, “Women in the Signals! What rot!” But their moans have turned to cheers. You were tossed into the melting pot, that is an Australian Army camp. There weren’t many comforts, there were no electric lamps, There weren’t many blankets, it was cold in those tin huts, But the A.W.A.S. came up smiling; you had good Australian GUTS. The hours were long and wearisome, you were given lots of work, But we didn’t find a loafer, we knew not one to shirk. We made the pace a hard one, sometimes there were tears, But you lasses learned as much in months, as we men absorbed in years. You’re in the ARMY now; you all wear the Rising Sun, Sometimes you’ll be unhappy, but stick till the job is done. Time there will be, when the nerves are frayed, and all you do is bungle, Just feel the badge on your tunic, and remember your mates in the jungle. We wish you luck, and God-speed you on your way, And wherever war may scatter us, we’ll look forward to the day, When the final battle’s over and you’ve sent your last G.B., And the DIGGERS and the A.W.A.S. march in the parade of VICTORY. GB (Golf Bravo) is the sign off God Bless [G] DAH DAH DIT [B] DAH DI DI DIT