Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School Wendouree, Victoria

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School has an interesting historical collection which reflects the outstanding achievements of the School community. The collection is dynamic, constantly evolving and expanding due to the generosity of donors and the School family.

Contact Information

location
201 Forest Street Victoria 3355 (map)
phone
+61 +61 3 5338 0700

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment

Entry Fee

Nil

Location

201 Forest Street Wendouree Victoria

View on Google Maps

Education and items associated with Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School and its predecessor Schools (Queen's College and Ballarat Church of England Grammar School) are the focus of the collection. Queen's College was established in 1877 by Mrs Matilda Dixie while Ballarat Church of England Grammar School began as a Diocesan School in 1911. The types of items collected range from educational items, uniforms, to documents and photographs.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

240 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (198) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

240 items

b&w photograph - Ballarat Grammar School Fourth Rowing Crew c1963

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

b&w photograph of rowing crew on Lake Wendouree with light brown/grey mount with darker borders around photograph and outside of mount. Inscriptions above and below photograph

Inscriptions & Markings

Ballarat Grammar School (centre top) School crest (Left hand side top) Fourth Crew (centre bottom) Names typed underneath. Verso: Peter R Renwick 21 Oct 2012 (handwritten in black biro)

b&w photograph - Ballarat Grammar School 3rd Crew 1962

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Black and white photograph of boys in rowing shell on Lake Wendouree, mounted on grey/brown card with printing on top and names at bottom

Inscriptions & Markings

Crest (LHS top); BALLARAT GRAMMAR SCHOOL (top centre); 3rd Crew, 1962. (top centre) (Names underneath) R. Biden (bow), A. G. Hornsby (2), D. S. Houghton (3), N. J. Crawford (stroke), g. W. McGregor (cox). Mr. S. wright (coach) Verso: small cream paper attached with masking tape with handwritten names. Best Wishes from 3rd crew Bow R. Biden, 2 A. G. Hornsby, 3 D. S. Houghton, stroke N. J. Crawford, Cox J. W. Mcgregor

Newspaper Cutting - Good 'Ol Days for Former Students

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Newspaper cutting with two black and white photographs plus an article

Inscriptions & Markings

Written in blue biro in the front right margin "The Courier June 1st 1989 (Monday)"

Magazine - Queens Church of England School Magazine July 1905

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Mainly About Girls (MAG) Queens School Magazine July 1905.4 pages handwritten and spirit duplicated, then laminated

Historical information

Many schools produced magazines. PLC published Patchwork, MLC The Bluebell, and Queens College MAG (Mainly About Girls). Although Queens claimed to be the first school in Ballarat to produce a magazine, Grenville College published The Gnarr Gnat around 1885, and Loreto wrote, edited and printed Eucalyptus Blossoms around 1883.

Significance

The school magazine began in 1905. The early copies are significant for the information they contain such as names, staff, and social attitudes.

Scan of letter of reference - Reference Letter from Percy Ansell Robin re Liddon Emlyn Thomas

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Cream folded card with dark brown printed Church of England Grammar School Crest on left hand side top corner and printed in old English lettering "Church of England Grammar School, Ballarat. The letter of reference is handwritten in black ink.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten letter from P. Ansell Robin D. Lit, Headmaster dated December 15, 1915, re Liddon Emlyn Thomas.

Book - Macaulay's Essays

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Blue linen hard cover book with maroon spine with Queen's College bookplate on title page. Macaulay's Essays printed in black on front cover and in gold print on top of spine.

Historical information

This book was found amongst Ballarat College library items.

Inscriptions & Markings

Bookplate: Queen's College, BALLARAT, CHRISTMAS 1888, PRIZE Awarded to Ellie Thomas of the V form for Geometry 824.61 white ink on spine Macaulay's Essays on top of spine (printed in gold), Complete Edition printed in centre of spine in gold, Routledge printed in italic and gold at bottom of spine.

Silver ring - Queen's Church of England Grammar School ring

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Queen's Church of England Girls Grammar sterling silver ring with blue/red/yellow enamelled crest with motto beneath

Historical information

Donated by private family with connections to McKenzie and Neale families.

Inscriptions & Markings

HONORES LABOREM SEQUUNTUR Verso ST SIL C MARKS & CO

Kathleen Must Recipe Book

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Church of England Girls' Grammar School Ballarat exercise book used by Kathleen Must for recipes. Blue/green faded cover with typed heading and crest of CEGGS Ballarat bound with cream linen binding. Feint lined cream pages handwritten with recipes inside.

Historical information

Miss Kathleen Must was the daughter of solicitor Philip William Must. She was a foundation member of the first Ballarat Guide Company, established in the early 1920s at Queens, CEGGS, Ballarat. She was a generous benefactor to the arts donating a table which belonged to the Henty family to the Ballarat Art Gallery. Kathleen Must died in 1988.

Inscriptions & Markings

Kathleen Must handwritten on top RHS corner of cover. Handwritten recipes and patterns inside.

Programme - Queen's Collegians' and Old Grammarians' Dramatic Club Programme

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Leaflet comprising one cream page, folded to give a four page programme. The front cover is printed in black with a border around the programme title. Above the title in border is the Queen's Crest and diagonally across the top left hand side top corner are stripes of red, light blue and yellow, the colours of Queen's. Inside two pages cnotain an outline of the programme within a black printed border on each page.

Crockery - CEGS Cup, saucer and plate sets

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Set of 5 white china plates, 5 white china saucers and 4 white china cups with Church of England Grammar School crest. Crest is in the centre of the plate, at the side of the saucer and cup. Plate, saucer and cup are rimmed in gold paint, with gold lines on the handle of the cup.

Inscriptions & Markings

On the base of cup, saucer and plate there is a man (Atlas) holding up a globe of the world. The words ATLAS CHINA and Stoke on Trent are above the globe and in the centre is the word GRIMWADE. Underneath is the word ENGLAND

Coloured formal class photographs - Ballarat and Queen's Anglican Grammar School Years 7-12 2002

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Six Ballarat and Queen's Anglican Grammar School formal coloured photographs of Years 7-12 2002

Inscriptions & Markings

Ballarat and Queen's Anglican Grammar School - Year .. - 2002 Names of students printed in brown on white underneath photograph Kodak professional paper

BCEGS Diary - Ballarat Church of England Grammar School Diary

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Light brown linen cover small school diary with School Crest on front cover

Inscriptions & Markings

Name Leonie Pescott handwritten on front cover in black ink. BALLARAT CHURCH OF ENGLAND GRAMMAR SCHOOL, school crest and 1959 printed in black on front cover. Inside cover "To Leonie (Blighter!) 1959 C.E.G.S. On next page SB Spittle with a b&w photo of two boys and a bike near the intersection of Forest Street and Wendouree Parade, Ballarat. Dates marked in blue biro on calendar (p.3) Handwritten notes inside diary. Back page, First and second term exam results. A sixpence is taped to the back cover with C. + S. in blue above it, and pink marks around it. Also above is 10th April 1959 in red biro with blue ink over it.

Magazine - Mainly About Girls CEGGS Magazine 1907

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

8 cream pages with purple writing, possibly made on a spirit duplicator. Laminated

Historical information

Many schools produced magazines. PLC published Patchwork, MLC The Bluebell, and Queens College MAG (Mainly About Girls). Although Queens claimed to be the first school in Ballarat to produce a magazine, Grenville College published The Gnarr Gnat around 1885, and Loreto wrote, edited and printed Eucalyptus Blossoms around 1883.

Inscriptions & Markings

Top right hand front page "1907" in blue biro

Scan of photograph - Ballarat Church of England Grammar School Athletics 1950

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Scan of photograph showing BCEGS Athletics Team, 1950 in sport uniforms. A group of three rows of boys with two boys in front, mounted on brown card with title at top and names printed at bottom on card.

Inscriptions & Markings

School Crest and Ballarat Church of England Grammar School printed on card at top. Athletics 1950 and names of boys printed on bottom of card under photograph.

Book - A Short History of England

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Hardbound book 500 pages with soft green linen cover with crest imprint on middle front cover, index and maps.

Historical information

According to the signatures in the front and back of the book it belonged to Norman Horace Plantaganet Tinworth, (CEGS), Bill Smith (High School), E. L. Jermyn (CEGS)

Significance

Tinworth Avenue, Mt Clear is named after this family.

Inscriptions & Markings

A SHORT HISTORY OF ENGLAND - RANSOME - LONGMAN & CO on spine. Many handwritten signatures on front and back fly pages and title page. Back pages: "Belnogs to: Norman Horace Plantaganet Tinworth, Church of England Grammar School, Late Bill Smith of the 'igh School, Ballarat

Letter - Letter from Adrian Gibson to David Gibson dated 27 April 1996

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Letter with black typing on cream paper

Historical information

Letter from Adrian Gibson with donated items associated with John Gibson

Inscriptions & Markings

Adrian gibson signature on bottom of letter in blue biro 25th March 1996 crossed out and 27 April '96 handwritten over in blue biro

Programme - A Liturgy to Celebrate Queen's Church of England Girls' Grammar School

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

White 8 page A5 booklet, stapled with two staples on spine, printed in b&w with school crest on front cover

Historical information

In January 1877 Matilda Dixie took over the running of Miss Mary Abbott’s Ladies’ School, naming it Queen’s College. By 1891 the School was leasing 803 Mair Street. In 1902 the Bishop of Ballarat announced that Queen’s College was to have a new title “The Church of England Grammar School for Girls”. It moved to 1200 Mair Street around 1918. In 1973 Queen's Church of England Girls' Grammar School amalgamated with Ballarat Church of England Boys' Grammar School at 210 Forest Street, Wendouree.

Significance

2011 marked a century of Anglican education in Ballarat 1911-2011. This Liturgy was held at The Connors Centre, Australian Catholic University, 1200 Mair Street, Ballarat to celebrate the heritage of Queen's Church of England Girls' Grammar School.

Crockery - Coffee mug with School crest

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

White china coffee mug with gold rim with School crest in colour on side.

Historical information

The crested coffee mug was advertised at a cost of $8.00 in the Ballarat Grammar School magazine Boomalacka, Issue No. 77, March 1998, p. 28. This issue covered Founders' Day Celebration and 25 Years of Co-Education.

Inscriptions & Markings

Westminster trademark

Newsletter - Crimson, Blue and Gold: A Publication of Queen's CEGGS, Ballarat

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Four page newsletter with black text and black and white images on cream paper

Inscriptions & Markings

Crimson, Blue and Gold A Publication of Queen's C.E.G.G.S., Ballarat

6732 Annual Athletic Sports Program - Ballarat Church of England Grammar School Annual Athletic Sports Program

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Cream covered booklet with brown printing on cover with School crest at top of cover, containing 8 pages inside. A brown and light brown diagonal stripe is printed on the top right hand corner

Coloured Photograph - Grammar School Rowing Club 1994

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Coloured photograph of rowing club with title and names underneath mounted on corflute.

Inscriptions & Markings

Ballarat and Queens Anglican Grammar School with crest at LHS (at top) Names of 6 rows of students and some staff at bottom

Lithograph of Ballarat, Victoria - Barkly Street, Ballarat, Victoria

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Handcoloured lithograph of street scene around 1873 with houses and gold mining poppet head.

Historical information

This print is based on a section of an 1868 panoramic photograph taken from the Ballarat Fire Station Tower in Barkly Street. It is reproduced on pp. 18 - 19 of Reid and chisolm Ballarat: Golden City (Joval 1989). The view looks up Barkly Street to Mount Pleasant, near Sovereign Hill on the left and Main Road in the foreground. In the immediate foreground the fence and gardens of the Ballarat Town Hall are visible.

Inscriptions & Markings

J. C. Armytage (Left hand bottom corner) BALLARAT, VICTORIA (centre) J. Saddler (Right hand bottom corner)

b&w Photograph of interior of chapel - Interior of first Church of England Grammar School chapel

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

interior of timber chapel with pews in the foreground, arch, altar and window at back of image, mounted (glued) on heavy grey card.

Historical information

The first Church of England Grammar School chapel was brought from Jerusalem, Parish of Kingston, in 1912. It was replaced in 1919. Subsequently it was moved to Wallinduc. For more information see Winds of Influence, p. 31

Significance

First School chapel.

Inscriptions & Markings

verso: 1915 in blue ink

b&w Photograph Interior of Chapel - Interior second chapel Ballarat Church of England Grammar School

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

b&w page from publication "Prospectus" of the interior of CEGS chapel with pews in the foreground and altar framed by arch in background.

Historical information

Interior of Ballarat Church of England Grammar second chapel, called the Chapel of St Mark the Evangelist taken in 1961. This chapel was transported from Allendale to the Forest St, Wendouree, site. There is a photograph of a steam engine moving the building to the site in 1919. This building was the second chapel on the CEGS site. In 1975 a third chapel was reconstructed from Manifold Hall.

Inscriptions & Markings

verso: 1961 twice in pencil; black typed notes "AMENITIES" on cream paper

Photgraph album - Photograph album of Chinese school and events

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Small blue and white photograph album with teddy bear on left hand side with two wine glasses on right hand side (white on blue) with "Enjoy Yourself Everyday!" in white writing on blue. The back cover also has inscriptions Enjoy Yourself Everyday, as has the spine. 40 double sided clear plastic pages that are large enough to hold one postcard size photograph. Two plain page inserts in the back and front, one with English printing, the other with Chinese

Inscriptions & Markings

Chinese handwriting in black on inside front cover. Plain pages with descriptions of photos in English and Chinese. "Enjoy Yourself Everyday" on back, front cover and spine. Designed in Hong Kong - back cover

Photograph - Forms 5&6 Church of England Girls Grammar School Ballarat

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Sepia formal photograph of 4 rows of girls in school uniform under trees. Mounted on grey card with darker borders around photograph and outside of card. Handwritten information written on card under photograph.

Inscriptions & Markings

Signatures on verso.

DVD - Grammar in Concert, 2012

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

DVD in black booklet cover. DVD has image of female students on the front.

Inscriptions & Markings

Grammar in Concert, 2012 in red print. Lion Crest with BALLARAT GRAMMAR at bottom of DVD

Scan of photograph - Ballarat Church of England Grammar School First Crew 1950

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Scan of photograph of First Rowing Crew in shell on Lake Wendouree, 1950, mounted on brown card with the title above photograph and the names of boys printed on card underneath photograph

Inscriptions & Markings

Ballarat Church of England Grammar School 1st CREW, then school crest, then 1950, on card at top of photograph Names printed on card below photograph

Crockery - Ballarat Church of England Grammar School china plate with crest

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

White china bread and butter plate with gold trim around the perimeter. Church of England Grammar School crest in centre of plate with scroll underneath.

Inscriptions & Markings

CHURCH OF ENGLAND BOYS GRAMMAR SCHOOL BALLARAT in scroll under crest (centre front) verso ATLAS CHINA Stoke on Trent GRIMWADE ENGLAND with image of Atlas holding up the world

b&w Photograph CEGS Second Chapel - Second Chapel Church of England Grammar School Ballarat

Ballarat & Queen's Anglican Grammar School , Wendouree

Small photograph of a timber church being moved by a steam engine. Two small boys are in the foreground with cylindrical tank.

Historical information

The first School chapel was brought from Jerusalem, Parish of Kingston, in 1912. It was replaced in 1919. For more information see Winds of Influence, pp. 31, 52-54

Significance

This was the second School chapel.

Inscriptions & Markings

verso: .1) 1919 .2) 1920 xxd out, 1919 in blue biro with handwriting in pencil .3) 1919 and black typed note glued to back .4) 1919 "Bringing chapel to site" handwritten in pencil and black typed note "Bringing second chapel on to site, 1919" glued to back