School archives consisting of images and memorabilia
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the place now called Victoria, and all First Peoples living and working on this land. We celebrate the history and contemporary creativity of the world’s oldest living culture and pay respect to Elders — past, present and future.
Please be aware that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Some material may contain terms that reflect authors’ views, or those of the period in which the item was written or recorded but may not be considered appropriate today. These views are not necessarily the views of Victorian Collections.
Users of this site should be aware that in many areas of Australia, reproduction of the names and photographs of deceased people is restricted during a period of mourning. The length of this time varies and is determined by the community.
Reuse of any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander material on this site may require cultural clearances. Users are advised to contact the source organisation to discuss appropriate reuse.
School archives consisting of images and memorabilia
Three black & white photographs from the musical production The Mikado performed by Camberwell Girls Grammar School and Camberwell Grammar in 1993
Sir Cecil Colville was awarded a knighthood in 1962. He was previously known as Dr H.C. Colville and was a member of the School Council from approximately 1924-1938. His daughters Peg [Elaine Margaret] Colville and Anne Colville attended CGGS while the school was located at St Mark's Church and at the current day location of Torrington Street, Canterbury from 1928. Peg Colville enrolled in 1922 and her sister Anne enrolled in 1925. The family home "Arden" at 1045 Burke Road East Hawthorn [on the corner of Rathmines Road and Burke Road] was demolished in 2016 which included a garden designed by Edna Walling in 1928.
Small lapel enamelled badge with dark blue background with school crest
Donor received item during the Combined Sports held at Hawthorn Football Ground in 1956
Dark blue small triangular pennant decorated with school crest and "Camberwell CEGGS" in white printing
Dark blue stuffed cushion with rope edging and hand sewn school crest in white cotton
This small beret was worn by student Elaine Small whilst a student of CGGS from 1944-1955
Dark blue felt beret decorated with small square of fabric sewn onto the front with the school crest in gold bullion thread
name tag "Small" sewn on the inside of beret
Dark blue cotton flag edged with white ribbon and school crest in white paint.
Barbara Richmond was Head Prefect in 1961 and was President of the Old Grammarians 1967-1997 [there was a period of four years when she was a committee member only]
Student exercise book with lessons on Mothercraft includes 10 lessons handwritten by donor Barbara Richmond (CGGS 1950-1961) on topics including: Mothercraft; Preparing for baby; General care of baby; Growth & Development; Bathing Baby; Natural feeding; Educational diet; Artificial feeding; Vitamins; Safety first for baby.
Front cover; handwritten in blue pen: "Barbara Richmond VC, Mothercraft, Camberwell C. of E. GG School"
1 albumen print on cabinet card of a group of 8 girls & two women, including two girls holding tennis racquets from Ormiston Ladies College
Photographers name & address printed on side mount and on verso" George & Georges Federal Studios 11, 13, 15 & 17 Collins Street East Melbourne
Booklet published in 1956 to celebrate the 36th Anniversary of the Camberwell Girls Grammar School and launch a fundraising campaign for new facilities.
Collection of 21 black and white and 3 colour photographs taken approximately in 1965 of the School buildings and grounds. Views of the Oval with classrooms and J.G. Robinson Hall located near the well-loved fig tree. View of J.G. Robinson Hall and the P.W. Oval taken from the 1955 second storey addition to the Woodstock building. Exterior and interior views of the Woodstock Building including interior views of the science laboratory opened in 1960. The J.G. Robinson Hall was used for a variety of events including assemblies; gymnasium and performances.
The album contains early images of the School at the new site in Torrington Street, Canterbury. The photographs have extensive captions that date and document key events in the School's development.
Grey cardboard album made up of twenty-four pages held together by blue cords and a dark blue ribbon. Pages are loosley in date order [note incomplete years] document a range of school activities, at Camberwell Girls Grammar School orginally known as St Mark's School, Camberwell from 1927- 1959. Locations include the now School site with the original house "Torrington" with early images of classes amd students in 1927; 1931-1932 Scenes in the School grounds including Kindergarten classes; forms and sporting teams. Pageants held in 1932 include the Shakespearean Pageant held 23rd April and the Pageant of all Nations. Formal team and class photographs taken by the photogrpaher Stuart Tompkins, Camberwell are included in 1933 and 1935. 1932 snapshots taken in 1932 Kindergarten with English children sent to Australian for safety with teacher Miss Nancy White. Sports Day and Combined Sports Day from the 1950s and a School holiday tour of Heron Island and a Coronation pageant both in 1953. Dedication of the Secondary block 10th March 1956; Kindergarten at St Hilary's with Mrs Kilgour in 1957. The last page shows an image of Principal Mrs AR Mace [former name Miss Louisa Stafford Taylor] with her husband Canon Mace at a School Sports Day 1959.
Twelve black and white digital images taken between 1938- 1941 of activities and groups at School including; Grade 3a; Grade IVa and Grade IVb; 1943 Day at the beach; 1941 New School entance; 1941 Teaching staff member; approx 1946 Basketball match against Korowa; Fancy Dress party in Kindergarten School and approx 1946 Softball team.
The Misses Singleton owned and were Principals of Ormiston Ladies College from 1872-1911. The School merged with Camberwell Girls Grammar School as the Junior School campus in 1965.
One page form report handwritten in black ink for Ormiston Ladies College report for half-year ending Midwinter for student Miss Miriam Billing
General remarks are initialed "A.S." by one of the co-Principals Miss Anna Singleton
ormiston ladies college
Collection of memorabilia of Blazer pocket with school badge and a small swimming plaque/trophy won in 1944
Sixteen black and white images recording the holiday to Orpheus Island in 1955 including a copy of the menu from the Orpheus Island Lodge restaurant. Also included are images of School sporting teams and groups of girls in the School grounds and an undated reunion of the 1958 leavers. Extract from the Marcian is included to provide background on the trip.
Images of the back of some photos included with names and dates
Ten colour images from 1963-1964 of School swimming sports and athletic days; a picnic at the beach and Youth Sunday March.
Images of the back of each photo included in collection with names and dates
Twenty-three black & white images of class groups and sporting teams including tennis and softball.
Nine black & white images taken in 1955 and 1953 of the school grounds including new front fence; tennis courts and the PW Robinson sports field and the Principal Miss Dorothy Hall.
Old database registration numbers #744; #745; #746; #747; #748; #749; #750; #751; #752; #753; #754
Camberwell Girls Grammar School was from 1927-1929 called St Mark's Church of England Girls' Grammar School. The School moved from St Mark's Church Camberwell to Torrington House in Torington Street, Canterbury VICTORIA in 1927.
This image is one of the few held just after the School's relocation from St Mark's Church to its current site at 2 Torrington Street, Canterbury Victoria in 1927. Miss Elizabeth Lockley was Headmistress of the School from December 1920 - December 1927. She continued on at the school as head of the Junior School until she retired in 1935.
Vol 1 No.1 June 1928
Camberwell Girls Grammar School was from 1927-1929 called St Mark's Church of England Girls' Grammar School
This image is the earliest documentation of the School's relocation from St Mark's Church to its current site at 2 Torrington Street, Canterbury Victoria. Miss Louisa Stafford Taylor was Principal of the School from 1928 - June 1959. It has rarity value as the only image known of the School at this time. The image also shows that the School accepted enrolments from boys who attended the lower classes.
Sepia photograph of the whole School assembled outside Torrington House in February 1927 after moving from its first location at St Mark's Church, Camberwell. The Principal and teachers stand in the back row with the students graduating from the senior girls to the smaller children in the front.
Victorian Collections acknowledges the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of the nation and the traditional custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.