Stories Organisations Projects About Login

El Dorado Museum Association Inc. El Dorado, Victoria

Contact Information

location
136 Main Street El Dorado Victoria 3746 (map)

Opening Hours

Sunday 2:00 pm- 4:30 pm Most Public Holidays 10 am - 4:00 pm (Except Good Friday and Christmas Day) Groups and Anzac Day open by appointment

Entry Fee

Adults $3 School aged children $2

Location

136 Main Street El Dorado Victoria

View on Google Maps

Mining, farming and social history from 1850s to 1950s. Tools, ornaments, furniture, gemstones, mining equipment, vehicles, machinery, documents, clothing, crockery, ephemera, school items and records, war items, money, household goods,

Significance

The collection has been assessed in 2009 as having items of both local and state significance.

82 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (32) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

82 items

Hand Grenade, British

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Historical information

Used in World War I, this now inert hand grenade was packed with sticks of cordite and thrown either by the stick handle or the cloth tails which gave a greater distance to the throw.

Bottle cover, linen

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

White coloured, bottle cover with embroidered pattern in centre and around edges.

Doll, Kewpie

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Rubber Kewpie style doll, unclothed.

Historical information

'Kewpie' is a brand of dolls and figurines that were conceived as comic strip characters by cartoonist Rose O'Neill. The illustrated cartoons, appearing as baby cupid characters, began to gain popularity after the publication of O'Neill's comic strips in 1909, and O'Neill began to illustrate and sell paper doll versions of the Kewpies. The characters were first produced as bisque dolls in Waltershausen, Germany, beginning in 1912, and became extremely popular in the early 20th century. Kewpie dolls were originally made out of bisque exclusively, but composition versions were introduced in the 1920s, and celluloid versions were manufactured in the following decades. In 1949, Effanbee created the first hard plastic versions of the dolls, and soft rubber and vinyl versions were produced by Cameo Co. and Jesco between the 1960s and 1990s.

Banner, Red Cross

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Large white banner with large Australian Red Cross logo and text.

Burwood Pipe

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Burwood pipe.

Historical information

Brought out from Scotland c1850s and used by the Milne family.

Book - The Story of the Red Cross

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

A4 book with white front cover with black text and Red Cross Logo.

Historical information

Donated to the museum as part of a collection of items relating to the 100th anniversary of El Dorado Red Cross.

Machine Gun Belt, Vickers WWI

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Cloth ammunition belt with metal dummy rounds.

Account Book - El Dorado Red Cross, 1958-1965

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Account book with light blue cover and dark blue text, and handwritten notes inside.

Historical information

Donated to the museum as part of a collection of items relating to the 100th anniversary of El Dorado Red Cross.

Ink well, book shape

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Small, gold coloured, book shaped inkwell holder, with two glass inkwells (one is removable) and a small removable brush.

Doily, blue flowers

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Oval shaped, cream doily with blue embroidered flowers at either end and an embroidered border.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer Ponds from Monument Hill

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of large ponds used by Cocks Pioneer Electric Gold & Tin Sluicing Company NL, as viewed from Monument Hill. There are small buildings in the foreground and trees on the hills in the background.

Historical information

Large ponds used by Cocks Pioneer Electric Gold & Tin Sluicing Company NL. Cocks Pioneer Electric Gold and Tin Mine Company was formed in 1899. The company's first power station, located at the eastern end of the valley began operating with its 340 Kilowatt steam-powered generator. By 1909, from 2,500,000 cubic yards worked, reported recovery was 17,284 ounces of gold and 224 tons of tin ore. By 1909, Cocks Pioneer Electric Gold and Tin Sluice Co.'s power plant had become inadequate and uneconomical. The barge was floated downstream about a mile, but lost time caused the operations to cease. Following testing, a new mine was established by diverting Reid's Creek at a cost of £2,5000. Settling dams were built, one of which held 1,935,900 cubic feet. Sold earth banks, built against a wall of stringy bark saplings constructed and laced with vertical props, were built. In 1914, the company was reformed as Cock’s Pioneer Gold and Tin Mines NL, another power station was constructed at the western end of the township, near the junction of Clear and Reid's Creeks. From 6,800,00 cubic years of material processed, the returns were 64, 397 ounces of gold and 855 ton of tin. Cocks Pioneer mine then moved the barge downs stream and continued sluicing. In 1929 Cocks Pioneer Electric Gold and Tin Mining Company ceased operations due to a drop in values.Cock’s Pioneer Gold and Tin Mines NL carried on large-scale hydraulic sluicing operations until 1941. (Buchan 2001).

Digital Image - Clear Creek Tin Mine, c.1931

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of large barge with water pipes protuding from it, in open cut mine. Large rocks and creek in foreground of image.

Booklet - Single Incident Emergency Assistance Guidelines, Red Cross

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Historical information

Donated to the museum as part of a collection of items relating to the 100th anniversary of El Dorado Red Cross.

Scales, letter

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Small set of letter scales.

Uniform, RAAF Tunic

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Blue RAAF tunic with air force wings and medal bar.

Historical information

World War II RAAF tunic belonged to Clarence Edward (Ted) Hurst (b 29123) son of Daisy Myrtle Hurst (McIntosh) (b 1893) and Charles Hurst.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer date unknown

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of mining barge in centre of image, large sluicing pipes laying next to it. There are buildings in the background.

Historical information

Cocks Pioneer Electric Gold and Tin Mine Company was formed in 1899. The company's first power station, located at the eastern end of the valley began operating with its 340 Kilowatt steam-powered generator. By 1909, from 2,500,000 cubic yards worked, reported recovery was 17,284 ounces of gold and 224 tons of tin ore. By 1909, Cocks Pioneer Electric Gold and Tin Sluice Co.'s power plant had become inadequate and uneconomical. The barge was floated downstream about a mile, but lost time caused the operations to cease. Following testing, a new mine was established by diverting Reid's Creek at a cost of £2,5000. Settling dams were built, one of which held 1,935,900 cubic feet. Sold earth banks, built against a wall of stringy bark saplings constructed and laced with vertical props, were built. In 1914, another power station was constructed at the western end of the township, near the junction of Clear and Reid's Creeks. From 6,800,00 cubic years of material processed, the returns were 64, 397 ounces of gold and 855 ton of tin. Cocks Pioneer mine then moved the barge downs stream and continued sluicing. In 1929 Cocks Pioneer Electric Gold and Tin Mining Company ceased operations due to a drop in values. (Buchan 2001)

Digital Image - Horse team - Cocks Pioneer

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of group of men working with horses to dig out dry river bed. There is a small farm house in a paddock in the background with trees behind it.

Cap, smoking

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black felt smoking hat with floral embroidery.

Historical information

Brought out to Australia from Scotland, c1850 and used by the Milne family.

Minutes - El Dorado Red Cross, Sept 1982-1992

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Foolscap sized covered book with green and blue pattern and handwritten minutes of the meetings of El Dorado Red Cross inside.

Historical information

Donated to the museum as part of a collection of items relating to the 100th anniversary of El Dorado Red Cross.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of Cocks Pioneer Gold and Tin Sluicing Co, NL showing long pipes used for sluicing and small shed to right side of image.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer New Engines, c.1934

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of large electric engine.

Pin cushion, heart shaped

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Heart shaped pin cushion with embroidered edges and pattern in middle.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer Barge

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of working mining barge. Behind the open cut mine site are properties with buildings, and hills with trees on them.

Historical information

Cocks Pioneer Electric Gold and Tin Mine Company was formed in 1899. The company's first power station, located at the eastern end of the valley began operating with its 340 Kilowatt steam-powered generator. By 1909, from 2,500,000 cubic yards worked, reported recovery was 17,284 ounces of gold and 224 tons of tin ore. By 1909, Cocks Pioneer Electric Gold and Tin Sluice Co.'s power plant had become inadequate and uneconomical. The barge was floated downstream about a mile, but lost time caused the operations to cease. Following testing, a new mine was established by diverting Reid's Creek at a cost of £2,5000. Settling dams were built, one of which held 1,935,900 cubic feet. Sold earth banks, built against a wall of stringy bark saplings constructed and laced with vertical props, were built. In 1914, another power station was constructed at the western end of the township, near the junction of Clear and Reid's Creeks. From 6,800,00 cubic years of material processed, the returns were 64, 397 ounces of gold and 855 ton of tin. Cocks Pioneer mine then moved the barge downs stream and continued sluicing. In 1929 Cocks Pioneer Electric Gold and Tin Mining Company ceased operations due to a drop in values. (Buchan 2001)

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of open cut mine, with large barge in the centre of image with water pipes and water cannon. Three men in the barge.Gravel pump, slurry and sluice boxes. Four men standing in foreground of image.

Book - School Primer

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Small book with black cover with floral print and black and white text and images inside.

Historical information

School Primer for El Dorado State School, used in 1898 by Charlie Milne.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten title page: "Charlie Milne 1898 & 1899"

Book - Maintenance - Cock’s El Dorado Gold Dredging No Liability

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Small black covered maintenance book for Cock's El Dorado Gold Dredging No Liability.

Historical information

Cock's El Dorado Gold & Tin Mining Dredge operated between 1936 and 1954. At the time of its construction, the dredge was the largest in the Commonwealth, producing 2,198 kg of gold.

Inscriptions & Markings

"NOTES" (on front cover)

Magazine - Crosstalk, No 53, Red Cross

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

A4 sized magazine with yellow front cover with red text and black and white images.

Historical information

Donated to the museum as part of a collection of items relating to the 100th anniversary of El Dorado Red Cross.

Cap, AIF

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Peaked olive green officers cap.

Silver match case and wax matches

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Doilies, pair

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Pair of square, cream coloured doilies, one with with letter "J" and one with letter "B" embroidered in centre.