Stories Organisations Projects About Login

El Dorado Museum Association Inc. El Dorado, Victoria

Contact Information

location
136 Main Street El Dorado Victoria 3746 (map)
phone
+61 (03) 5725 1542

Opening Hours

Sunday 2:00 pm- 4:30 pm Most Public Holidays 10 am - 4:00 pm (Except Good Friday and Christmas Day) Groups and Anzac Day open by appointment

Entry Fee

Adults $3 School aged children $2

Location

136 Main Street El Dorado Victoria

View on Google Maps

Mining, farming and social history from 1850s to 1950s. Tools, ornaments, furniture, gemstones, mining equipment, vehicles, machinery, documents, clothing, crockery, ephemera, school items and records, war items, money, household goods,

Significance

The collection has been assessed in 2009 as having items of both local and state significance.

30 items with images

close
Show All Items Items with Images (30) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

30 items with images

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer date unknown

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of Cocks Pioneer Mine with shed in centre of image, large sluicing pipes laying next to it and buildings in the background.

Table cloth, linen

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Linen drawn thread table runner, with four patterns.

Digital Image - Clear Creek Tin Mine, c.1931

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of scaffolding surrounding chimney of mine, between trees on left side of image and rock face on right.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer Barge, c.1900s

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of the Cock's Pioneer Gold & Tin Sluicing Co. barge. Shows section of open cut mine with boulders in foreground, fields and bushland behind it.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer After Flood

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of three men standing next to a tall tree stump beside a large pond after a flood. The men are standing up to their waists in leaves. In the background is the Cocks Pioneer mining barge.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of Cocks Pioneer open cut with scaffolding over building in centre of image and hills at back of image.

Digital Image - The Power Station Cocks Pioneer Mine El Dorado

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white of photograph of Cocks Mine power station buildings with smoke billowing from chimney stack and man walking in front of buildings.

Historical information

Cocks Pioneer Power Station No. 2 was established in 1914 and located near junction of Reid's and Clear Creeks, Byawatha.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten on front: 'THE POWER STN COCKS, PIONEER MINE, ELDORADO' / 'THELMA STUDIO / [underlined] WANGARATTA'

Digital Image - Horse team - Cocks Pioneer

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of group of men working with horses to dig out dry river bed. There is a small farm house in a paddock in the background with trees behind it.

Digital Image - Clear Creek Dam

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of dam near mine, a long wooden sluice is in front of the dam. The hills at the back are covered in trees.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of open cut mine, with large barge in the centre of image with water pipes and water cannon. Three men in the barge.Gravel pump, slurry and sluice boxes. Four men standing in foreground of image.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer Ponds, c. 1930s

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of the Cocks Pioneer Electric Gold and Tin Sluicing Company NL open cut mine with large ponds. The site is surrounded by paddocks and trees.

Digital Image - Men at Work on the Tail Race, Cocks Pioneer Mine, El Dorado

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of men working on the construction of a channel in the foreground, with the frame of a building behind them. There are trees in the mountains at the back of the image.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten across the front: 'Cocks Pioneer Mine Eldorado MEN AT WORK ON THE TAIL RACE' / 'THELMA STUDIO / [underlined] WANGARATTA]

Digital Image - Clear Creek Tin Mine dugout

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of two men sitting on chairs outside a timber dugout at a mine.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer New Engines, c.1934

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of large electric engine.

Lunch box

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black metal lunch box with red thermos with white lid inside.

Historical information

Reginald Alfred Rankins (1893 - 1972) was a miner and an orchardist and used to drive a horse and dray for Cocks Pioneer Mines, El Dorado. He later worked for Bruck in Wangaratta.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer Pipes and Open Cut

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of open cut area of Cocks Pioneer open cut mine, showing pipes running through middle of image and large sections of pipes in foreground.

Digital Image - Clear Creek Tin Mine, c.1931

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of four men wearing hats standing in front of a large machine.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer Ponds from Monument Hill

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of large ponds used by Cocks Pioneer Electric Gold & Tin Sluicing Company NL, as viewed from Monument Hill. There are small buildings in the foreground and trees on the hills in the background.

Seal Stamp, MUIOOF Loyal El Dorado Lodge

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black cast iron seal stamp with decorative flowers belonging to the MUIOOF Loyal El Dorado Lodge.

Historical information

The Manchester Unity Independent Order of Odd Fellows (MUIOOF) Loyal El Dorado Lodge was established 8 February 1867. At its peak in 1869 it had 115 members. Due to declining membership the lodge ceased operating on 22 March 1913.

Doll, reversible cloth

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Alternate name: Cinderella Topsy-Turvy Doll. A reversible cloth doll showing two faces, four arms and hands, two torsos - one doll on the bottom and one on the top, stuffed body.One dress is for plain for working, one dress is ornate. Working doll is missing eyes, ornate doll is missing one arm. Stuffing coming loose.

Historical information

Owned by Mary West of El Dorado.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer Barge

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of the Cock's Pioneer Gold & Tin Sluicing Co showing working barge. Behind the open cut mine site are properties with buildings, and hills with trees on them.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer Creek Diversion

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of men moving river diversion equipment along rails.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer Mine Directors

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of Cocks Pioneer Gold & Tin Mines NL directors with Mrs Molly Moline and children, Dorothy and Geoff. Taken at Sherwood - the mine manager's residence. (1914)

Inscriptions & Markings

"COX PIONEER MINE DIRECTORS" top "GEOFF DOR (unclear) TED SHACKLE" bottom

Cap, smoking

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black felt smoking hat with floral embroidery.

Historical information

Brought out to Australia from Scotland, c1850 and used by the Milne family.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of Cocks Pioneer Gold and Tin Sluicing Co, NL showing long pipes used for sluicing and small shed to right side of image.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer Engine c1930s

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of man wearing hat standing next to large mining engine.

Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer, 1907

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of open cut mine used by Cocks Pioneer Electric Gold and Tin Sluicing Company NL, with scaffolding in foreground of image and at rear of pit. Bushland behind mine.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten across front: 'HAROLD S. TEMBY / Photo'; '"COCKS PIONEER" 1907'.

Digital Image - Processing shed and sluicing nozzle, probably Clear Creek Tin Mine

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of processing shed with man standing in front of it operating a sluicing nozzle. Water is spraying into rocks in right side of image.

Digital Image - Altering course of Reedy Creek, El Dorado

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Black and white photograph of men with using horse and scoops to alter the course of the creek. Some men are standing beside the dry river watching the men work. At the back of the image there are hills with trees growing on them.

Historical information

Cocks Pioneer Gold and Tin Mines NL (1914-29 and 1934-41) carried out large-scale hydraulic sluicing - electronically driven from power generated at a ​steam power plant. The mine was the second highest dividend-paying mine in Victoria in 1935, with a total gold production of 3,560 kg.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten across the front: 'Altering course of creek. Eldorado'

Teapot, pewter

El Dorado Museum Association Inc., El Dorado

Large pewter teapot.