Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre) Mount Helen, Victoria

The Federation University Australia Historical Collection, (formerly University of Ballarat), is held in the Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre (GBRC), and is located on the top floor of the E.J. Barker Library (Mt Helen Campus). The GBRC includes three special book collections of the library, the Geoffrey Blainey Mining Collection, the Federation University Australia Research Collection, and the Creedy Economics Collection.

Titles from the three library special collections can be searched online via http://innopac.federation.edu.au, but must be read in the Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre Supervised Reading Room.

The Federation University Historical Collection is an extensive collection of historical material dating from the formation of the Ballarat School of Mines in 1869. The collection covers material from Federation University's predecessors including the Ballarat School of Mines, Ballarat Teachers' College, State College of Victoria, Ballarat; the Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education, Ballarat College of Advanced Education, Ballarat University College, Wimmera Institute of TAFE, Monash Gippsland, Gippsland Institute and University of Ballarat. It is particularly strong in the themes of mining, education, and local history.

On 01 January 2014 the University became Federation University Australia with the amalgamation of the University of Ballarat and Monash University’s Gippsland campus. FedUni brings together skills and expertise throughout Ballarat, Gippsland and the Western region of Victoria for the benefit of our regional communities.

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 663 Ballarat Victoria 3353 (map)
phone
+61 03 5327 9168

Opening Hours

Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre Hours: Tues 9.30am - 1.00pm Wed 1.00pm to 5.00pm Thurs 1.00pm to 5.00pm Fri 9.30am - 1.00pm or by appointment

Entry Fee

Free entry.

Location

Federation University Australia, Mt Helen Campus Federation University Australia E.J. Barker Library (top floor) Mount Helen Victoria

View on Google Maps

The Federation University Historical Collection is located at the Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre (GBRC) on the top floor of the E.J. Barker Library (Mt Helen Campus) and includes a supervised reading room where collections can be accessed and read. The GBRC also houses the Geoffrey Blainey Mining Collection and the Federation University Library Special Collections.

Titles from the Federation University Library collections can be searched online at http://innopac.federation.edu.au. The Federation University Historical Art Collection online catalogue is located at http://guerin.ballarat.edu.au/curator/collection/ and the Federation University Historical Collection is searchable via Victorian Collections.

Federation University Historical Collection is an extensive collection of historical material dating from the opening of the Ballarat School of Mines in 1870. The collection covers material from the Federation University's predecessors including the Ballarat School of Mines, Ballarat Teachers' College, State College of Victoria, Ballarat; the Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education, Ballarat College of Advanced Education, Ballarat University College, Wimmera Institute of TAFE, Monash Gippsland and University of Ballarat.

Significance

Federation University Historical Collection is significant because of its emphasis on local education, particularly at the tertiary level. It relates to the Ballarat School of Mines, Australia's first technical school, are an important aspect of the collection. Material on former staff, students and local identities are also housed in the collection. Through the Ballarat School of Mines Federation University is the third oldest tertiary institution in Australia, and has resulted in a strong and important emphasis on mining in the collection.

Mrs Robyn Thompson 2 September 2016 9:17 AM

Hello. I have just seen a photo of Pioneers of Ballarat on the web site. It has the Object registration 15771. A large group of men. I see my great ancestor D GUNN the photo. As I'm searching my family tree, I would love to have the photo of him Any chance that someone can help me with my request. Please contact me on [email protected] Robyn Thompson (Mrs)

Amanda Osborne 25 September 2016 4:28 PM

My great great grandfather, William Simpson, and his three brothers worked in a mining area called Hard Hills near or between Ballarat and Buninyong. He married Mary Kelly, an Irish Orphan girl,arrived on the Pemberton in May 1849, the same year. Can you please tell me if you can identify a previous gold mining area called Hard Hills or if there is any documentation or photographic records relating to same. My gratitude and thanks in anticipation. Amanda Osborne [email protected] 0437130393

Leave a comment

67 items

Objects - Super 8 Film Equipment

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Four items relating to Super 8 film making. .1) Nalcom Super-* Synchro Zoom Camera, in black vinyl .2) Johnson Monolight photoflood camera attachment, without bulb .3) Eumig 604 Super8 Film camera .4) A set of 8 reels of film, of various sizes Gift of John Jenkinson in memory of his daughter, Trish Lewinski

Historical information

Journalist Trish Lewinski became a member of the University of Ballarat External Relations staff in February 1998. She died after surgical complications on 19 July 1999.

Booklet - Federation University Geoscience and Mining Group Annual Report, 2018

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Blue and white soft covered report. A pdf of this report is available with this record.

Photograph - black and white postcard - Members of 18th Company Australian Army Service Corps

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Eight soldiers of the AIF. They are tent mates of Harry Holmes Driver with the 5th D.A.C. The names of the soldiers are John Raymond (Ray) Blight, Joseph Fawcett, John Joseph (Jack) Nase, Gordon Spittle, Harry Holmes, Harold Joseph Reid, James Leslie (Les) Sim, Leslie John Walters.

Historical information

HENRY SMERDON (Harry) HOLMES was born in 1897 at the family property, ’Sauchieburn’, 17 km north of Ballarat, in the Ascot district. He was the youngest of four children. After finishing his education at St Patrick’s College, Ballarat, Henry joined the Holmes family farming interests. At the age of 18 he enlisted and served with AIF in Egypt, France and Belgium 1915-1918. Henry served at the famous battlegrounds of Ypes and Somme in the Australian Army 8th Battalion. He was a Driver with the 4th D.A.C. The postcard is of "The Ascot" boys. Includes [Samuel] Gordon Spittle, Henry [Harry] Holmes's first cousin, and other Ascot lads and district connections: neighbours, Ascot State School classmates and football mates from Clunes / Creswick districts. (Research by Jane Dyer) Ray Blight and Gordon Les Sim were former students of the Ballarat School of Mines. Les Sim was associated with Sim and Co. hardware and wood merchants).

Inscriptions & Markings

handwritten in pen on verso "This is a snap of our tent mates. Reading left to right. Back row, Jack Nase, Joe Fawcett, H. Reid. Middle - Les Walters, Ray Blight, Gordon Les Sim, (Sim and Co wood merchants) and Harry

Register of Attendances - Ballarat School of Mines Register of Attendances, 1983

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Light blue hard cover with blue taped spine Education Department Victoria Technical Schools Register of attendances for the year 1983 in the subject of Woodwork Hobbies Names in the register areJoseph Antonelli, Alan Bier, Mark Botten, Peter Harrington, Michael Hayes, David Hubble, Dale Letcher, William Mitris, David Pedelsden, Stephen Pollock, Andrew Robertson, Paul Scholz, Gregory Stokie, Brett Stone. Record closed.

Historical information

The register lists names and attendances of trade classes at the Ballarat School of Mines.

Document - Green Hill History

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Three pages History of Greenhill by Anne Beggs Sunter, and two further pages of notes.

Historical information

The Green Hill settlement dates from the 1860s. Developers in the 1960s chose to call it Mt Helen rather than Green Hill. Mt Helen is believed to be named after Helen Hastie, the daughter of Reverend Hastie of Buninyong. In 1866 a 241 acre site was purchased for a new tertiary institution. It is now known as the Federation University Mount Helen Campus. Green Hill is a scoria dome and though dominated by Mt Buninyong (Elevation 2442 feet) it is thought to have been formed earlier.

Book - University of Ballarat Handbook, 1994

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Teal edged handbook from the University of Ballarat with a picture of students on a lawn with man painting

Historical information

University of Ballarat was a predecessor of Federation University.

Stick Pin - Ballarat Teachers' College Stick Pins

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Two gold coloured stick pins with the Ballarat Teachers' College Shield, featuring a blue enamelled background with the letters in gold. 1). has Ex Students Assoc'n in gold with blue enamelled background at the bottom of the shield. 2). has Extra Muros in gold coloured relief at the bottom of the shield and a safety chain and pin attached.

Historical information

Both this students stick pin and Ex Students' Association stick pin were owned and worn by Helen Veitch who was a student at the Ballarat Teachers' College in 1948. The Ballarat Teachers' College was established after the Victorian State Government and the State Education Department decided to establish two provincial teachers' colleges, at Ballarat and Bendigo. On 04 May 1926 W.H. Ellwood (Principal), Miss A. Bouchier, and Mr A.B. Jones, welcomed the first enrolment of 61 students to undertake the one year course. In 1927 the College moved to the former Ballarat East Town Hall in Barkly Street, which was remodelled for their use. It closed in December 1931 due to the Great Depression. In 1946 Ballarat Teachers' College reopened and relocated to the Dana Street State School. It was originally planned to open as a women's college, for whom the residence at 130 Victoria Street was purchased, but the decision was made to admit resident men from Ballarat. Mr T.W. Turner was appointed as Principal in 1951 and directed the introduction of a two year course for the Trained Primary Teachers' Certificate. The former one year course was terminated at the end of 1951. In 1958 the College was relocated to a custom built facility at Gillies Street, in close proximity to the Ballarat Botanical Gardens. Numbers increased with the introduction of the Trained Infant Teachers' Certificate course under the guidance of Mary Egan. With the introduction of a three year Diploma Course in 1968 accommodation became cramped. The introduction of the Diploma of Teaching (Primary) led to the Trained Infant Teachers' Certificate being discontinued in 1969, and the end of the Trained Primary Teachers' Certificate in 1969. Secondary Art and Craft students began studies at Ballarat Teachers' College in 1969 under Mr Ted Doney. In 1971 Mr D. Watson was appointed Principal. The State College of Victoria was proclaimed by Order in Council on 24 July 1973, and Ballarat Teachers' College became a constituent college of the State College of Victoria, and was known as State College of Victoria, Ballarat. By 1975 the College moved to Mount Helen as part of the Ballarat College of Advanced Education. Pre service teachers currently undertake their studies on the Mount Helen Campus of Federation University. ("Ruffians Attempted to Carry of the School Tent: A History of State Education in Ballarat", 1974, p73-4.)

Inscriptions & Markings

BTC shield

Book - Final recommendations Ballarat Study Area Land Conservation Council, Victoria, 1982

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Yellow soft covered report of 95 pages . The contents of the report include: Parks, reference areas, wildlife reserves, water production, harwood production, softwood production, flora Reserves and Flora and Fauna reserves, bushland reserves, historic area and reserves, rivers and streams, Roadside conservation and Highway parks, Education areas and School Plantations, Lake Reserves, geological reserves, recreation, scenic reserves, agriculture, mineral and stone production, utilities and survey, township land, Uncommitted Land, military training, other reserves and public land. Maps include: The Study area 1: 250 000 Supplementary Maps

Microscope - Carry Type Pocket Microscope

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Antique brass microscope in custom made hinged wooden case with brass handles and key. Interior is fitted with drawers for various instruments, lenses, tools and glass plates.

Historical information

This microscope is thought to be associated with Chemist Erskine Llewellyn of Ballarat. Erskine E. Llewellyn studied Chemistry at the Ballarat School of Mines in 1885. It may also be associated with Palmer's Chemist in Lydiard Street Ballarat. "OBITUARY. - The many friends here and in the surrounding districts will regret to learn of the tragically sudden death of Mr Erskine Llewellyn, who for many years was associated with the firm of A. M. Palmer and Co., chemists, of Lydiard street. For some considerable time Mr Llewellyn had been associated with the U.F.S. Dispensary at North Carlton, and there, as in the case here, by his courtesy and attention to business, he made a host of friends, and his sudden demise will be deplored." [Ballarat Courier, 21/08/1917] http://www.anbg.gov.au/botanical-history/botanical-discovery.html

Pennant - Ballarat Teachers' College

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Blue wool felt pennant with a yellow felt edge with 2 loops stitched to the side edge. The pennant is printed in yellow with the words 'Ballarat Teachers' College' and Coat of Arms.

Historical information

The pennant was part of the collection owned by Helen Veitch when she was a student at the Ballarat Teachers' College in 1948. The Ballarat Teachers' College was established after the Victorian State Government and the State Education Department decided to establish two provincial teachers' colleges, at Ballarat and Bendigo. On 04 May 1926 W.H. Ellwood (Principal), Miss A. Bouchier, and Mr A.B. Jones, welcomed the first enrolment of 61 students to undertake the one year course. In 1927 the College moved to the former Ballarat East Town Hall in Barkly Street, which was remodelled for their use. It closed in December 1931 due to the Great Depression. In 1946 Ballarat Teachers' College reopened and relocated to the Dana Street State School. It was originally planned to open as a women's college, for whom the residence at 130 Victoria Street was purchased, but the decision was made to admit resident men from Ballarat. Mr T.W. Turner was appointed as Principal in 1951 and directed the introduction of a two year course for the Trained Primary Teachers' Certificate. The former one year course was terminated at the end of 1951. In 1958 the College was relocated to a custom built facility at Gillies Street, in close proximity to the Ballarat Botanical Gardens. Numbers increased with the introduction of the Trained Infant Teachers' Certificate course under the guidance of Mary Egan. With the introduction of a three year Diploma Course in 1968 accommodation became cramped. The introduction of the Diploma of Teaching (Primary) led to the Trained Infant Teachers' Certificate being discontinued in 1969, and the end of the Trained Primary Teachers' Certificate in 1969. Secondary Art and Craft students began studies at Ballarat Teachers' College in 1969 under Mr Ted Doney. In 1971 Mr D. Watson was appointed Principal. The State College of Victoria was proclaimed by Order in Council on 24 July 1973, and Ballarat Teachers' College became a constituent college of the State College of Victoria, and was known as State College of Victoria, Ballarat. By 1975 the College moved to Mount Helen as part of the Ballarat College of Advanced Education. Pre service teachers currently undertake their studies on the Mount Helen Campus of Federation University. ("Ruffians Attempted to Carry of the School Tent: A History of State Education in Ballarat", 1974, p73-4.)

Significance

l

Inscriptions & Markings

Printed - Ballarat Teachers' College & Coat of Arms

Artwork - Henry Sutton Timeline Banner by Lorayne Branch

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Two versions of a very large Henry Sutton timeline.

Historical information

A print out of this banner was used during the Ballarat Heritage Weekend. It is now hanging in SMB Old Chemistry Building.

Documents - Establishment of the Ballarat School of Mines, 1870

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Correspondence and planning documents relating to the setting up of the Ballarat School of Mines. it includes tenders for contractors for the refurbishment of the former Ballarat Circuit Court. .1) Rules for the pupils of the Mining School at Zurickau, 18/11/1870 (not translated by Emanuel Steinfeld, perhaps by W. Henderson) .2) Regulations of the Mining Academy at Frieberg, 18/11/1870 .3) Einrichtungen, Freiberg, 1870 (written in German) .4) Letter from Somerville Learmonth of Ercildoun to Harrie Wood, Clerk of the Board of Mines Ballarat, accepting a position as one of three trustees of the Ballarat School of Mines, along with Redmond Barry and R.H. Bland, 08/01/1870 .5) Printing order with Robert Wreford, 26/01/1870 .6) H. Waymouth to Mr Bickett re the Ballarat School of Mines, 1780 .7) Letter from R.H. Bland of Clunes to Harrie Wood of the Ballarat Mining Board, 27/01/1870 .8) Letter from Somerville Livingstone Learmonth of Ercildoun to Harrie Woods of the Ballarat Mining Board refusing the offer to be a Trustee of the Ballarat School of Mines, 28/01/1870 .9) Minutes of the meeting of the Ballarat School of Mines Executive Council, 05/02/1870 and Correspondence from Harrie Wood to J. Warrington Rogers re the lease of the building for the Ballarat School of Mines, 21/01/1870 .10) Chief Secretary's Office to Ballarat Mining Board re Life Membership of the Ballarat School of Mines, 02/02/1870 .10b) Letter from Redmond Barry, Carlton Gardens, Melbourne re the visit of the Governor of Victoria to the Ballarat School of Mines, 04/02/1870 .12) Letter from Charles Pucke on behalf of Mr McCulloch to H, Ainswood, Secretary of the Ballarat Mining Board, 11/07/1870 .13) Correspondence from Henry Rosales of Walhalla (Chairman of the Gippsland Mining Board) to James Baker of the Ballarat School of Mines, 28/12/1870 .11) Meeting of the Executive Council, Bickett, Eddy Downes, 08/02/1870 .14) Letter from John Phillips, contract surveyor of St Arnaud to Mr Newman, Vice-President of the Ballarat School of Mines, 15/12/1870 .15) Articles ordered and obtained for the Ballarat School of Mines, 03/01/1870 .16) Telegram from John Lewis of Clunes to the Ballarat School of Mines. .16b) Quote from painter Thomas Robson for painting the Ballarat School of Mines, 05/06/1870 .17) Note from Duncan Gillies to Harrie Wood re grant for the Ballarat School of Mines, 05/06/1870 .18) Correspondence re Grant to the Ballarat School of Mines, Duncan Gillies, 04/07/1870 .19) Correspondence concerning the Ballarat School of Mines from F. Valient to Harrie Wood, 14/05/1870 .19b) Correspondence from Somerville Livingstone Learmonth to Harrie Woods - an apology for a meeting with Judge Rogers, 23/05/1870 .20) Letter from R.H. Bland to Harrie Wood, 15/07/1870 .22) Telegraph from J. Warrington Rogers to Harrie Wood of the Ballarat Mining Board concerning tenders for the Ballarat School of Mines, which was established in 1870. .23) Letter from Ballarat Mining Board to Judge Warrington Rogers, 31/05/1870 .24) Telegraph to Harrie Wood of the Ballarat Mining Board from J. Warrington Rogers concerning Sir Redmond Barry. A note at the bottom of the telegraph notes ‘This telegram has been delayed through repairs on line. .25) Letter on Melbourne Public Library Letterhead from librarian Augustus Fulk, 05/08/1870 .26) Letter from R.H. Bland to Harrie Wood, 30/05/1870 .27) Letter from Robert Park re alteration of the former Ballarat Court House for use as the Ballarat School of Mines, 05/05/1870. .28) Letter from G. Whitty re painting of the former Ballarat Court House for use as the Ballarat School of Mines, 04/05/1870 .29) Letter from William Newman re plastering of the former Ballarat Court House for use as the Ballarat School of Mines, 05/05/1870 .30) Letter from Charles A. Abbott re teaching Mechanical Drawing at the Ballarat School of Mines, 04/04/1870 .32) Letter from Redmond Barry to the Ballarat School of Mines, 07/1870 .31) National Insurance Company of Australia insurance for the Ballarat School of Mines (former Ballarat Circuit Court), 01/05/1870 .33) Letter from R.H. Bland to Harrie Wood, 09/1870 .34) Letter from Somerville Livingstone Learmonth to Harrie Wood, 06/09/1870 .35) Letter to the Chief Secretary to the Ballarat School of Mines Library & Museum, 30/11/1870 .36) Parliament house (Kitto) to the Ballarat Mining Board, 15/11/1870 .37) H. de la Poer Wall of Grenville College to R.W. Newman of the Ballarat School of Mines, 27/04/1971 .38) W.H. Odgers to the Ballarat East Town Clerk, 20/05/1870 .39) Correspondence to the Borough of Clunes for the Ballarat Mining Board requesting a grant to set of a school of mines at Ballarat. 25/03/1870 .40) Surveyor to Harrie Wood, Mining Registrar, 27/04/1870 .40) Letter to Judge Warrington Rogers re the contractor's account for satisfactory completion of work on the Ballarat School of Mines, 11/07/1870 .43) Desks for the Ballarat School of Mines by Henry Gough, 1870 .44) Ballarat Star Office to James Baker of the Ballarat School of Mines, 1870

Image - Federation University: Our Story, 2019

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

A chart showing all the predecessor institutions of Federation University Australia.

Book of Botanical Speciman's - Marine Algae Chlorospermeae by Charles Morrison

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Deep purple velvet covered book of pressed Marine Algae Chlorospermeae (green algae) specimens. The specimens appear to be Irish in origin. Author Charles Morrison.

Historical information

Although there is no documentary evidence this volume of specimens could be associated with William Henry Harvey. Harvey travelled extensively and was thought to have carried 'travelling sets' of algae. (see 'Harvey's Travelling Sets of Algae in the TCD Herbarium' by J. Parnell) According to http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/ResBot/flor/Bot_Goat/53_Algae.htm: 'Many of Prof. Harvey's specimens of the Chlorospermeae, of Green Algae, "were personally collected by myself [ie Harvey] in 1850, when travelling in America" ...'

Inscriptions & Markings

date, location and botanical name included on each. These include: Morehead Mrs Griffith 1852 Moville 1853 Portrush Octr 1853 Moville June 1850 Dunoon June 1853 Green Castle Augt 1852 Port a'dorus N of Ireland 1854 Stokes Bay, Lough Sivilly July 1853 Buncrana Octr 1853 Londonderry 1852 Arran Dr Landsborough Oct 1853

Book - Federation University Annual Report, 2017

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Digital copy of a white and blue covered annual report of 188 pages.

Photograph - Colour - Ballarat Teachers' College Reunion Tour of Gillies Street, 2016

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Digital photographs of Ballarat Teachers' College class of 1971 revisiting the Gillies Street Campus during their reunion.

Costume - Ballarat Teacher's College Blazer

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

This royal blue woollen, unlined blazer is bound on all the edges with braid including the tops of the three pockets and 8.5cm from the sleeve edge. The embroidered patch breast pocket has the emblem of the Ballarat Teachers College. It has three buttons at the front. Most of the seams are bound, though some are turned back and stitched down. The back of the top of the pockets are reinforced with cotton fabric.

Historical information

This blazer was worn by Helen Veitch in 1948, while a student at the Ballarat Teachers' College in Dana Street. She lived in Ascot Street South and attended the Urquhart Street Primary School. The first class she taught was grades 1&2 at Wedderburn Primary School with 46 students. She also taught at Wendouree West, Wendouree, Urquhart Street and Pleasant Street Primary Schools. She married in 1955 and died in 1979.

Inscriptions & Markings

Maker's embroidered patch - Paterson, Powell Pty Ltd, Ballarat White tape with handwritten marking - Veitch

Annual report - Federation University Australia Annual Report, 2014

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Hard and electronic copy of the Federation University Australia Annual Report. This annual report includes details of the establishment of Federation University Australia.

Historical information

Federation University Australia was established on 1 January 2014. Formerly known as the University of Ballarat, its enabling legislation was the University of Ballarat Amendment (Federation University Australia) Act 2013. Although formally created as a University in 1994, the University of Ballarat had a lineage back to 1870 with the establishment of the School of Mines Ballarat, making it the third institution of higher learning to be established in Australia and the first to be established in regional Australia. On 1 January 1994, Ballarat University College became the University of Ballarat and in 1998 the University merged with three TAFE Institutes to become a dual sector institution with multiple campuses. On 1 January 2014, the University of Ballarat amalgamated with the Monash University Gippsland Campus to form Federation University Australia. The Gippsland Campus also had a long lineage dating back to 1928 with the establishment of the Yallourn Technical School which became a predecessor institution to the Gippsland College of Advanced Education formed in 1968. In 1990, it was renamed the Monash University College and in 1993 became the Gippsland Campus of Monash University. Federation University Australia, or FedUni, is Australia’s newest public University. Headquartered in Ballarat, Victoria, the University offers programs in Higher Education and Vocational Education and Training to regional Victoria and beyond. The University’s commitment to educational and social equity, teaching excellence, research distinction, environmental sustainability and regional capacity building has enabled it to develop in a way that draws on its proud heritage to inform its future. Its regional character sets a framework for the University’s priorities but does not constrain it from serving wider community interests, nationally and internationally. With campuses from Horsham in the west of the state, to Churchill in the east, the name Federation University Australia was chosen to convey the scope and capacity of an expanded regional university with a federated network of campuses contributing to a new and different Australian university.

Bookmark - Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre Bookmark, c2014

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Card bookmark for University of Ballarat Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre, and combined bookmark for Federation University Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre, and Centre for Gippsland Studies.

Posters - Ballarat School of Mines Interpretation Panels

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Eight interpretive panels relating to the Ballarat School of Mines: 1. Beginnings 2. Mining 3. Architecture 4. Art 5. Engineering 6. Innovation 7. Trades 8. UBtec

Photo album - Photographs of New Zealand Scenery, 1886

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Large green album containing numerous B/W original photographs of New Zealand, especially volcanos. - Includes Pink and White Terraces (no longer in existance). Photos were taken before and after volcanic eruption. A recent inclusion is article on the terraces by Federation University's George Hook and Stephen Carey.

Historical information

Before Mt Tarawera erupted, the Pink and White Terraces at Lake Rotomahana in New Zealand’s North Island, were considered one of the wonders of the world. Tourists came to soak in the thermal hot pools and view the marble-like terraces. Due to a volcanic eruption of Mt Tarawera On June 10 1886, between 108-120 people were killed and several settlements were destroyed. It also destroyed the world-famous Pink and White Terraces. The terraces became a crater over 100 metres deep. Within 15 years it filled with water, forming a much larger new Lake Rotomahana. The chain of craters at Waimangu became the site of many new geothermal features, including Waimangu Geyser, the largest in the world, and New Zealand’s largest hot spring, Frying Pan Lake. The Burton brothers (photographers), Alfred Burton was born in 1834 in Leicester and died in 1914 in Dunedin. His brother Walter Burton was born in 1836 and died in 1880. Many of the Burton Brothers' works and original equipment were collected by Dunedin photographer and historian Hardwicke Knight, and are now housed in the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa in Wellington. This album was donated to the Ballarat School of Mines Museum by James Oddie in 1887. (See Cat. No. 458, No. 1720) Alfred Burton was born in 1834 at Leicester and died at Dunedun, New Zealand, in 1914. Walter Burton was born in 1836, and died in 1889.

Inscriptions & Markings

Each photo has a caption.

Annual Report - University of Ballarat Annual Report, 2013

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Digital copy of the University of Ballarat Annual Report

Historical information

This is the last annual report of the University of Ballarat. On 01 January 2014 it became Federation University Australia.

Booklet - Federation University SMB Campus

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Twenty page booklet outlining some of the buildings on the Federation University SMB Campus

Photograph - Visit of the Chinese Commissioner to the Ballarat School of Mines, 13 November 1906

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Twelve men pose for a photograph on the stairs of a building at the Ballarat School of Mines. Back row left to right: A.D. Gilchrist (Prof. of Engineering), B. Whittington (Mathematics, Physics), Thomas S. Hart (Prof. of Geology and Mining), J.M. Sutherland (Electrical Engineering) Front row left to right: Dr Wong Chock Son (Ballarat), Fred. J. Martell, Alfred Mica Smith, Ah Ket esq (Melbourne Barrister), His Excellency Hwang How Cheng (Chinese Commissioner), Wen Esq (Secretary), Alderman Grase (mayor of Brisbane), Grase Esq (Ballarat).

Historical information

The Chinese Imperial Commissioner, Hwang How Cheng, visited Australia at the request of the Chinese Emperor for the purpose of establishing Chinese consulates in the Commonwealth. He visited Ballarat at the request of Ballarat’s Chinese community. The newspaper reported that it was hoped the Commissioner would visit the Ballarat School of Mines “where the knowledge he would get would probably be of the utmost usefulness in the development of the great resources of China.” The Commissioner was accompanied by interpreter Ah Ket (Melbourne barrister and solicitor), and met by members of Ballarat’s Chinese community, including Dr Wong Chock Son. Apparently the Chinese Commissioner wanted to visit SMB because of its international fame relating to education in mining. From the SMB Letter book (Cat. No. 436) comes the following which suggests the Commissioner was based in Adelaide) '17th November 1906 His Excellency, Hwang How Cheng Chinese Commission Adelaide May it please your Excellency By this post I have the pleasure in forwarding for your Excellency's kind acceptance (and one for Mr. When) copies of the photograph taken of your recent visit to the School of Mines. I trust they will serve a pleasing memento of what, I hope, was a pleasant visit to our Golden City. Yours Faithfully Fredk Martell Director' The visit was reported in the Ballarat Star in 14 November 1906:- The Chinese Imperial Commissioner, Hwang Hon Cheng, who recently arrived in Victoria on behalf of the Chinese Government, paid a visit to Ballarat last evening, and was entertained by his fellow countrymen at a dinner at the Bow Leong rooms, Main street. The commissioner, who came up by the express, was accompanied by his secretary and Mr Ah Ket, the well-known Chinese barrister, of Melbourne; but some disappointment was expressed by the fact that he did not wear his official robes, being attired in the more sombre European dress. Mr W. D. M’Kee presided at the dinner, on the invitation of the Bow Leong Society, and in addition to representative Chinese residents, three were also present the mayor of the city (Cr. J. J. Brokenshire), Crs. R. Pearse, G. Crocker (City), J. R. Elsworth, A. Mackenzie, J. A. M’Neil, A. Levy, G. Bunting, F. Penhalluriack (Town),Col. Williams, Mr. J. Gent, Messrs. F. J. Martell (director of the School of Mines), A. W. Hager (president of the Orphan Asylum), A. Kenny (superintendent), R. G. Fitzgerald (clerk of courts at Ballarat East), J. Trethowan, A. A. Buley, Serg Dalton, and others. Apologies were received from the mayor of the town Revs. J. West Lau, Dr Cairns, Hon. J. Y. M’Donald, L. Lederman, C. C. Shoppee and others. The gathering was a very cordial one, and the hospitality of the Chinese was greatly appreciated. After the loyal toasts, “The King” and “The Emperor of China,” had been honoured, the chairman extended a hearty welcome on behalf of the society and others to the commissioner. Mr M’Kee said he was privileged to speak in behalf of the Chinese. There was a warm feeling of friendship between them and himself, and his services were always at their command. If he were in China he would desire that a similar compliment would be extended to him. They were all pleased the Emperor of China had sent the commissioner to establish consulates in Australia with a view of the empire understanding the feelings of Australasia better than they did at present. He hoped the commissioner would have opportunity of visiting some of their industries, as they desired him to gain all the scientific and practical knowledge of those industries that he could. The toast of “The Commissioner” was proposed by Col. Williams who expressed pleasure at the visit of a gentleman of education and attainments to look into the condition of the scions of China in Australia. He hoped the commissioner would carry away a correct impression. In Australia they had nothing to conceal; they hoped to be understood. (Applause.) No intelligent man had the temerity to condescend to patronise China, one of the richest countries in the world, with a civilisation dating back thousands of years. In the matter of population alone it was equal to one-third of the world. They heard a lot about the “awakening of China.” They hoped it would be humane, just, and considerate if it had power. He hoped the commissioner would be satisfied with what he saw. The law of filial relation to the children was strictly observed in China, and he did not know whether it would not be a good thing if they had a little more of that religion here. It would be a fair thing to tell the commissioner that while he might inquire into the labour laws, the basis of these laws was not a desire to oppress but to enable every man to obtain the same conditions they expected from their own people. If he gained that impression he felt they would be fairly treated. (Applause.) Mayor Brokenshire supported the toast. They had, he said, in the Chinese a most law-abiding people. Their behaviour was an example to the British citizens. They were quiet, inoffensive men, and they toiled hard, even on Sundays. (Laughter.) Mr Ah Ket; That is what the government does with the railway employees. (Laughter.) The Commissioner replied through Mr Ah Ket, who in a graceful speech acknowledged the toast. The commissioner had, he said been delighted with what he had seen of the country – he believed it to be one of the finest in the world – and he greatly appreciated the hospitality extended to him. (Applause.) The Chairman proposed the toast of “The health of Mr Ah Ket,” and paid a tribute to his ability. It was satisfactory to see that he had risen to such a position, and it might be that in the future he would be asked to occupy a position on the bench. (Applause.) Mr Ah Ket, in response, said he had not come prepared to make a speech. He had come to Ballarat to have a quiet evening with his friends, and as soon as he arrived he had been whirled away in a motor car to a place where he found an aggregation of East and West. He was pleased to see them commingled at the festive board. That suggested the idea that East and West could meet together without friction. Misunderstandings arose only because men were superficial. If they threw off outer garments they would know each other better. He looked forward to the time when nations would understand each other. It was by an interchange of visits that such things could be accomplished, and nations would then live at peace with each other. (Applause.) Other toasts were also honored.

Document - Steiglitz Mining Division

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Three typed pages on the Steiglitz goldfield prepared by Laurie Moore.

Photograph - black and white - Daniel Walker

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

.1) Portrait of Daniel Walker of the Ballarat School of Mines .2) Photograph mount with calligraphy and painted design

Emagazine - Fedpress Magazine

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

PDFs of the Federation University Magazine 'fedpress'. Hardcopy of the following years: Issue No 10, 2016 (Unibar, Stone Cutters, Australian Hospitality, Jogy Dontje, Jess Kelly, Pietro Angeli, Getting Through Semester One, Online Student understanding, Liana Skewes, Brianna MacDonald, Student Services, Student Senate, S. Hooley, HECS Help, Ashleigh Dyer, Six things that can cost you easy marks, Laura McLachlan, Surviving grief, Theahna CoburnTenneill Pearl, Rochelle Jardine, Zach Mullane, Dakota Richards, Survival Guide, Scarlette Baum) Issue No 12, 2016 (Crows, Joshua Paddon, Sarah McLean, Fandom, Learn Another Language, Laura McLachlan, Planes, Pietro Angel, Cover Co, mpetition, Megan Corder, Jess Kelly, The Secret Life of Post-Grad Students, Cale Hellyer, What I hate about Facebook, Damian Brown, National Student Vounteer Week, Premnath Chakarvarty, Selin Kasif, Brendan Caffrey, Senate Six, Fed United, Awards, Ultimate Frisbee, Ashleigh Dyer, Cassandra Lovett, Rochelle Jardine, Dakota Richards, Freya Fogliani) Issue No 13, 2016 Issue No. 14, February 2017 Issue No. 15, May 2017 (James Charlton, Rebecca Fletcher, Timothy Kirkham, Mohammad Sami Baardarani, Lajan Maharjan, Jennifer Pont, Kate Williams, Damian Brown, Matthew James, Zoe Ormiston, Freya Fogliani, Myles Hema, Jess Powell) Issue No. 17, October 2017 (Jack Barnes, Damian, Syed Zain Ali, Molly Irvine, Rebecca Fletcher) Issue No. 18, February 2018 (Submission Dates, Guidance for the Shell-Shocked Graduates, Pills, Shark, How to be a Writer, Climate Summit) Issue No. 21, October 2018 (Bianca Bedford, Kelsey Knight, Laura Benney, Rainbow Collective, Smartphone, Sarah McLean, Monique Stephens, Clare Hartigan, Liam Carter) Issue No. 22, March (2018) 2019 (Elizabeth McCracken, Troy Anthony Platt, Liam Carter, O.R. Brayne, Dakota Powell, Elizabeth McCracken, Dan Schweinzer, Jordyn Presley, Sarah McLean, Bianca Bedford, Bronwyn Nel, Beck Small, Tara Parada) Issue No. 23, July 2019 (Beck Small, Jasmyne Tziziras, Jodie Flower-Russell, Maxwell Waterhouse, Dhogaluxmi Chemen, Alisha Hendrick, Elizabeth McCraken, Trent Bowes, Will La Grue, Laura Benney, Sir Troy Anthony Platt, Harrod Boadie, Kathryn Drum, Jordyn Presley, Bianca Bedford, Bronwyn Nel, Olly Brayne, Cherise Oosthuizen, Chloe Waddell, Nyalat Pel Kun, Autism

Historical information

Formerly known as Hotch Potch, FedPress is the student publication of Federation University Australia. FedPress is a space for students to showcase their written and visual talents. The editorial team aim to inform, inspire, and entertain. We are looking for a range of different creative individuals — journalists, reviewers, poets, designers, artists, and photographers — to submit content. FedPress Magazine prints four issues a year and is distributed across FedUni's Ballarat, Wimmera and Gippsland campuses.

Reports - Nanya Station

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Four digital reports documents relating to Federation University's Nanya Station, Western New South Wales

Historical information

Nanya Station, owned and managed by the University of Ballarat (now Federation University Australia), was purchased with assistance from the Department of Environment and Heritage Government Caring for our Country program. Nanya Station is located in the Scotia country, west of the Darling Ana-Branch in far western New South Wales and consists of the Nanya Western Lands Pastoral Lease 3281 – Perpetual Leasehold Lot 1244 in Deposited Plan 762778, Parish of Winnebaga, County of Tara and part of Lot 1242 County of Windeyer. Nanya is within the tribal area of the Danggali Aboriginal people, a sub-group of the Barkindji. Many Aboriginal sites have been recorded adjacent to major rivers in the region providing evidence that these areas supported a large population. The Scotia region has one of the shortest stock grazing histories of western NSW. Along with five other Scotia properties, Nanya was created as a pastoral lease in 1927. The first European settlement on the land followed exploration of the area by Sturt and Eyre. In 1854, the Lake Victoria lease which encompassed this area comprised 465,000ha.included Scotia blocks 1, 2, 3 and 4, Amoskeag and Winnebaga which formed the area known as the Scotia. It was described as a region of thick mallee scrub, interspersed with bluebush flats and Belah woodland. In the 1920s artesian water was found and the dry Scotia country was surveyed and divided into six Homestead leases allocated by ballot (Withers 1989). All properties were approximately 30,000ha, with a recommended stocking level of 3,000 sheep. Winnebaga (renamed Nanya) was taken up by Gordon Cumming. He initially dug a dam near the southeast corner of the property. A larger ground tank and rudimentary dwelling at the site of the present complex was later established. An adjacent area was cleared and cropped to provide feed for the horses used in digging the earth tanks. The ruins of the original building are located between the shearing shed and Homestead Tank. A cottage was built in the 1930s and a more substantial Red Gum framed homestead in the early 1950s. The lease was held by Mr Gordon Cumming until 1984 when it was purchased by Mr Norm Scadding as an extension to the adjacent lease, Belvedere. It was sold in 1995 to Mr Rob Taylor of Waikerie then in 1999 to BeMax Pty. Ltd., a sand mining company. These last three owners all permitted use of the property by the University for teaching and research. The Centre for Environmental Management at the University of Ballarat had been involved in studies of flora and fauna in western New South Wales since 1988. Studies became concentrated on the Scotia region with its variety of intact ecosystems due to a short pastoral history. Of particular significance is a system of natural salt lakes of which the most extensive is the Scotia Discharge Complex located on Nanya Station. An extensive vegetation survey of the Scotia region Westbrooke et al. 1998) highlighted the significance of the area both in terms of the range of communities in relatively intact condition and the occurrence of species and communities of restricted distribution. Nearly 400 species were recorded of which nine had either not previously been recorded or have restricted distribution in western NSW. Twenty-two plant communities occur on Nanya Station of which two, Halosarcia lylei low open shrubland and Hemichroa diandra/Halosarcia/Frankenia low open shrubland, are dominated by species not previously recorded from NSW. H. lylei and Acacia loderi shrublands are listed as endangered under the NSW Threatened Species Conservation Act. As noted, the area has a relatively short grazing history and, due to the presence of large areas of mallee with a Triodia understorey and restricted water supplies, stocking rates have been low. The diversity of ecosystems in relatively intact condition and extensive areas of old growth mallee made Nanya a highly significant refuge for biological diversity. This factors led to the purchase of Nanya Station by the University of Ballarat in 2004 with the assistance of the Department of Environment and Heritage for the purposes of conservation, research and education. In 2010 the southern paddocks of Nagaella Station (10,000ha.) which lie along the northern boundary, were purchased with the assistance of Lower Murray Darling Catchment Management Authority and added to the Nanya lease to provide complete protection for the communities of the Nanya Discharge Complex and further high quality Malleefowl habitat.

Student Magazine - Hotch Potch

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

PDFs of the University of Ballarat student magazine 'Hotch Potch'

Historical information

University of Ballarat was later Federation University Australia

Booklet - Federation University Strategic Plan, 2016-20

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

A four year plan for the University of Ballarat

Historical information

Federation University Australia was established on 1 January 2014. Formerly known as the University of Ballarat, its enabling legislation was the University of Ballarat Amendment (Federation University Australia) Act 2013. Although formally created as a University in 1994, the University of Ballarat has a lineage back to 1870 with the establishment of the School of Mines Ballarat, making it the third institution of higher learning to be established in Australia and the first to be established in regional Australia. On 1 January 1994, Ballarat University College became the University of Ballarat and in 1998 the University merged with three TAFE Institutes to become a dual sector institution with multiple campuses. On 1 January 2014, the University of Ballarat amalgamated with the Monash University Gippsland Campus to form Federation University Australia. The Gippsland Campus also had a long lineage dating back to 1928 with the establishment of the Yallourn Technical School which became a predecessor institution to the Gippsland College of Advanced Education formed in 1968. In 1990, it was renamed the Monash University College and in 1993 became the Gippsland Campus of Monash University. In 2016, Federation University Australia announced plans to take possession, over a two-year period, of Monash’s Berwick Campus in the south-east corridor of Melbourne. Federation University Australia, or FedUni, is headquartered in Ballarat and offers programs in Higher Education and Vocational Education and Training to regional Victoria and beyond. The University’s commitment to educational and social equity, teaching excellence, research distinction, environmental sustainability and regional capacity building has enabled it to develop in a way that draws on its proud heritage to inform its future. Its regional character sets a framework for the University’s priorities but does not constrain it from serving wider community interests, nationally and internationally. The name Federation University Australia was chosen to convey the scope and capacity of an expanded regional university with a federated network of campuses.