Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre) Mount Helen, Victoria

The Federation University Australia Historical Collection, (formerly University of Ballarat), is held in the Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre (GBRC), and is located on the top floor of the E.J. Barker Library (Mt Helen Campus). The GBRC includes three special book collections of the library, the Geoffrey Blainey Mining Collection, the Federation University Australia Research Collection, and the Creedy Economics Collection.

Titles from the three library special collections can be searched online via http://innopac.federation.edu.au, but must be read in the Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre Supervised Reading Room.

The Federation University Historical Collection is an extensive collection of historical material dating from the formation of the Ballarat School of Mines in 1869. The collection covers material from Federation University's predecessors including the Ballarat School of Mines, Ballarat Teachers' College, State College of Victoria, Ballarat; the Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education, Ballarat College of Advanced Education, Ballarat University College, Wimmera Institute of TAFE, Monash Gippsland, Gippsland Institute and University of Ballarat. It is particularly strong in the themes of mining, education, and local history.

On 01 January 2014 the University became Federation University Australia with the amalgamation of the University of Ballarat and Monash University’s Gippsland campus. FedUni brings together skills and expertise throughout Ballarat, Gippsland and the Western region of Victoria for the benefit of our regional communities.

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 663 Ballarat Victoria 3353 (map)
phone
+61 03 5327 9168

Opening Hours

Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre Hours: Tues 9.30am - 1.00pm Wed 1.00pm to 5.00pm Thurs 1.00pm to 5.00pm Fri 9.30am - 1.00pm or by appointment

Entry Fee

Free entry.

Location

Federation University Australia, Mt Helen Campus Federation University Australia E.J. Barker Library (top floor) Mount Helen Victoria

View on Google Maps

The Federation University Historical Collection is located at the Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre (GBRC) on the top floor of the E.J. Barker Library (Mt Helen Campus) and includes a supervised reading room where collections can be accessed and read. The GBRC also houses the Geoffrey Blainey Mining Collection and the Federation University Library Special Collections.

Titles from the Federation University Library collections can be searched online at http://innopac.federation.edu.au. The Federation University Historical Art Collection online catalogue is located at http://guerin.ballarat.edu.au/curator/collection/ and the Federation University Historical Collection is searchable via Victorian Collections.

Federation University Historical Collection is an extensive collection of historical material dating from the opening of the Ballarat School of Mines in 1870. The collection covers material from the Federation University's predecessors including the Ballarat School of Mines, Ballarat Teachers' College, State College of Victoria, Ballarat; the Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education, Ballarat College of Advanced Education, Ballarat University College, Wimmera Institute of TAFE, Monash Gippsland and University of Ballarat.

Significance

Federation University Historical Collection is significant because of its emphasis on local education, particularly at the tertiary level. It relates to the Ballarat School of Mines, Australia's first technical school, are an important aspect of the collection. Material on former staff, students and local identities are also housed in the collection. Through the Ballarat School of Mines Federation University is the third oldest tertiary institution in Australia, and has resulted in a strong and important emphasis on mining in the collection.

Mrs Robyn Thompson 2 September 2016 9:17 AM

Hello. I have just seen a photo of Pioneers of Ballarat on the web site. It has the Object registration 15771. A large group of men. I see my great ancestor D GUNN the photo. As I'm searching my family tree, I would love to have the photo of him Any chance that someone can help me with my request. Please contact me on [email protected] Robyn Thompson (Mrs)

Amanda Osborne 25 September 2016 4:28 PM

My great great grandfather, William Simpson, and his three brothers worked in a mining area called Hard Hills near or between Ballarat and Buninyong. He married Mary Kelly, an Irish Orphan girl,arrived on the Pemberton in May 1849, the same year. Can you please tell me if you can identify a previous gold mining area called Hard Hills or if there is any documentation or photographic records relating to same. My gratitude and thanks in anticipation. Amanda Osborne [email protected] 0437130393

Leave a comment

66 items

Photo album - Photographs of New Zealand Scenery, 1886

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Large green album containing numerous B/W original photographs of New Zealand, especially volcanos. - Includes Pink and White Terraces (no longer in existance). Photos were taken before and after volcanic eruption. A recent inclusion is article on the terraces by Federation University's George Hook and Stephen Carey.

Historical information

Before Mt Tarawera erupted, the Pink and White Terraces at Lake Rotomahana in New Zealand’s North Island, were considered one of the wonders of the world. Tourists came to soak in the thermal hot pools and view the marble-like terraces. Due to a volcanic eruption of Mt Tarawera On June 10 1886, between 108-120 people were killed and several settlements were destroyed. It also destroyed the world-famous Pink and White Terraces. The terraces became a crater over 100 metres deep. Within 15 years it filled with water, forming a much larger new Lake Rotomahana. The chain of craters at Waimangu became the site of many new geothermal features, including Waimangu Geyser, the largest in the world, and New Zealand’s largest hot spring, Frying Pan Lake. The Burton brothers (photographers), Alfred Burton was born in 1834 in Leicester and died in 1914 in Dunedin. His brother Walter Burton was born in 1836 and died in 1880. Many of the Burton Brothers' works and original equipment were collected by Dunedin photographer and historian Hardwicke Knight, and are now housed in the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa in Wellington. This album was donated to the Ballarat School of Mines Museum by James Oddie in 1887. (See Cat. No. 458, No. 1720) Alfred Burton was born in 1834 at Leicester and died at Dunedun, New Zealand, in 1914. Walter Burton was born in 1836, and died in 1889.

Inscriptions & Markings

Each photo has a caption.

Book - Old England: a pictorial museum of Regal, Ecclesiastical, Baronial, Municipal and Popular Antiquities

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

A large leather brown/gilt cover book with black leather bound and corners. 392 p. with coloured and b/w illustrations. It includes a table of contents of volume 1, 18 illuminated engraved (colour) plates, indexes to the engravings at the end of the book. 'Old England' gilt decoration on spine. The book shows how life was like in old England in regards to people, places, architecture and fashions, etc. from Roman times through to Industrial age. The book is published in two volumes, the book in hand contains volume 1 only.

Historical information

Charles Knight is an English publisher and author. He was born at Windsor in 1791, and died in 1873 at Addlestone, Surrey. This book covers the period of English history from pre Roman times to the Industrial age. It shows how life was like in old England in regards to people, places, architecture and fashions, etc. The book contains 1000's of wonderful engravings, hand coloured plates beside 100's of pages of text contained in one volume.

Inscriptions & Markings

A plate inside front cover titled "Ballarat Technical Art School Library No. R/170"

Book of Botanical Speciman's - Marine Algae Chlorospermeae by Charles Morrison

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Deep purple velvet covered book of pressed Marine Algae Chlorospermeae (green algae) specimens. The specimens appear to be Irish in origin. Author Charles Morrison.

Historical information

Although there is no documentary evidence this volume of specimens could be associated with William Henry Harvey. Harvey travelled extensively and was thought to have carried 'travelling sets' of algae. (see 'Harvey's Travelling Sets of Algae in the TCD Herbarium' by J. Parnell) According to http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/ResBot/flor/Bot_Goat/53_Algae.htm: 'Many of Prof. Harvey's specimens of the Chlorospermeae, of Green Algae, "were personally collected by myself [ie Harvey] in 1850, when travelling in America" ...'

Inscriptions & Markings

date, location and botanical name included on each. These include: Morehead Mrs Griffith 1852 Moville 1853 Portrush Octr 1853 Moville June 1850 Dunoon June 1853 Green Castle Augt 1852 Port a'dorus N of Ireland 1854 Stokes Bay, Lough Sivilly July 1853 Buncrana Octr 1853 Londonderry 1852 Arran Dr Landsborough Oct 1853

Photograph - black and white postcard - Members of 18th Company Australian Army Service Corps

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Eight soldiers of the AIF. They are tent mates of Harry Holmes Driver with the 5th D.A.C. The names of the soldiers are John Raymond (Ray) Blight, Joseph Fawcett, John Joseph (Jack) Nase, Gordon Spittle, Harry Holmes, Harold Joseph Reid, James Leslie (Les) Sim, Leslie John Walters.

Historical information

HENRY SMERDON (Harry) HOLMES was born in 1897 at the family property, ’Sauchieburn’, 17 km north of Ballarat, in the Ascot district. He was the youngest of four children. After finishing his education at St Patrick’s College, Ballarat, Henry joined the Holmes family farming interests. At the age of 18 he enlisted and served with AIF in Egypt, France and Belgium 1915-1918. Henry served at the famous battlegrounds of Ypes and Somme in the Australian Army 8th Battalion. He was a Driver with the 4th D.A.C. The postcard is of "The Ascot" boys. Includes [Samuel] Gordon Spittle, Henry [Harry] Holmes's first cousin, and other Ascot lads and district connections: neighbours, Ascot State School classmates and football mates from Clunes / Creswick districts. (Research by Jane Dyer) Ray Blight and Gordon Les Sim were former students of the Ballarat School of Mines. Les Sim was associated with Sim and Co. hardware and wood merchants).

Inscriptions & Markings

handwritten in pen on verso "This is a snap of our tent mates. Reading left to right. Back row, Jack Nase, Joe Fawcett, H. Reid. Middle - Les Walters, Ray Blight, Gordon Les Sim, (Sim and Co wood merchants) and Harry

Artwork - Poster - Past and Present Ballarat of Forty Years of Progress from an Uninhabited Wilderness

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Large black and white poster (now brown with age) with the hand drawn work of James Meek reproduced by the Ballarat printers Rider & Mercer.

Historical information

James McKain MEEK (1815-1899) Born England Arrived Australia 1838 James Meek was an artist who built the first house at Ballarat. He wrote 'designed, composed and written with pen and ink by James Meek (founder of the City). When this work was completed the in 1893 the Ballarat Star described the work: - "An Industrial Inmate. At the conclusion of Monday's meeting of the Ballarat Benevolent Asylum Committee one of the inmates, named James McBain Meek, having been introduced, laid upon the table a magnificently executed work of art, bearing the following inscription: - The past and present of Ballarat, or 40 years' progress from an uninhabited wilderness, 1852 to 1892, during which time it has become the grandest inland city of the Southern World. It stands unrivaled by that of any city in her Britannic Majesty's extensive domain over which the sun never sets, and o'er which Albion's beloved sovereign sways her benign sceptre." The work conveys by words and pictorial representations a complete history of Ballarat from its inception up to the 17th March inst. The various pillars and scrolls by which the many incidents that are related are surrounded are marvelously executed, the plain and ornamental lettering is exquisite; while the language used in the narrative is of the most eloquent and refined description. Sketches of the Ballarat Hospital and Benevolent Asylum, equal to any photographic picture, are shown at either end of the word " Ballarat," which occupies the most central position of the chart. The work, which is worthy of a position in any public library or private residence, has been designed and composed by Mr. Meek, who is 78 years of age, at the Asylum. It is done entirely with pen and ink, and was commenced on the 22nd October, 1892, and completed on 17th March, 1893. (Ballarat Star, 27 March 1893)

Significance

Although 'Past and Present Ballarat of Forty Years of Progress from an Uninhabited Wilderness' was printed it appears that few have survived the ravages of time. Another copy of this works survives in the collection of the Australiana Room at the Central Highlands Regional Library Corp. No others have been located to date. (2012)

Inscriptions & Markings

Many, but one includes 'Most respectfully dedicated to the native born children of European parents in the Ballarat Mining District by the author.'

Camera - Kodak Six-20 'Brownie' C

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Morocco-grained imitation leather covered metal body with two brilliant finders. Plain matt enamel front; metal wind knob and release button with a single blade shutter. (http://www.brownie-camera.com/71.shtml) This camera took box rollfilm, with 629 film size. The picture size was 2 1/4 X 3 1/4" .(http://www.brownie-camera.com/71.shtml) Instruction books for this model are available at http://www.brownie-camera.com/manuals.shtml

Historical information

This model of camera was made between 1946 and 1957. (http://www.brownie-camera.com/71.shtml)

Photograph - Colour - University of Ballarat Coat of Arms

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Colour photographs of the University of Ballarat Coat of Arms.

Historical information

The University of Ballarat was granted a Coat of Arms from the College of Arms in London. The grant has five parts: the Shield, the Crest, the Supporters, the Motto and the Badge. The origin of the University Arms us based on the history of the University and its antecedents. The earlier institutions include the School of Mines and Industries, the Ballarat Teachers' College and its successor, the State College of Victoria at Ballarat.

Significance

A Coat of Arms signifies the heraldic achievements of an individual or community. The University of Ballarat's Coat of Arms symbolises the golden past of the City of Ballarat and the former institutions, the School of Mines and Industries Ballarat Ltd and the Ballarat Teachers' College, which came together to form the University. At the same time, the motto 'dare to be different', presents a challenge to everyone in both the University and the region to strive for new ways of achieving.

Microscope - Carry Type Pocket Microscope

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Antique brass microscope in custom made hinged wooden case with brass handles and key. Interior is fitted with drawers for various instruments, lenses, tools and glass plates.

Historical information

This microscope is thought to be associated with Chemist Erskine Llewellyn of Ballarat. Erskine E. Llewellyn studied Chemistry at the Ballarat School of Mines in 1885. It may also be associated with Palmer's Chemist in Lydiard Street Ballarat. "OBITUARY. - The many friends here and in the surrounding districts will regret to learn of the tragically sudden death of Mr Erskine Llewellyn, who for many years was associated with the firm of A. M. Palmer and Co., chemists, of Lydiard street. For some considerable time Mr Llewellyn had been associated with the U.F.S. Dispensary at North Carlton, and there, as in the case here, by his courtesy and attention to business, he made a host of friends, and his sudden demise will be deplored." [Ballarat Courier, 21/08/1917] http://www.anbg.gov.au/botanical-history/botanical-discovery.html

Medal - Ballarat School of Mines Hillman Award (medal)

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Bronze medal designed depicting the portrait of Lindsay Hillman. The medal has a copper finish, and is presented in a blue hinged box. The first Hillman Award was presented in 1992. The recipients are: 1992 - Brett A. Hovey 1993 - Nil 1994 - Brent L. Ferguson 1995 - Kirsty McKenzie 1996 - Peter J. White 2000 - Roger Bush 2001 - Thomas Edward George 2002 - Mark William Holden 2003 - David James Hopwood 2004 - Leighton Dunn 2005 - Donald Pirouet 2006 - Mark Irvin 2007 - Ricky Wilson 2008 - Luther Dean 2009 - Daniel Thatcher 2010 - Craig Coulter 2011 - Sarah Draper 2012 - Rhys Hendrickson 2013 - Jayden Hooper

Historical information

Lindsay F.J. Hillman was born in Ballarat in 1910, and attended the Ballarat Junior Technical School. He became a cadet in Electrical Engineering Laboratory at the Ballarat School of Mines where he gained eventually gained a student Teachership for diploma studies at the School. Hillman was particularly active and excelled in a wide range of sporting interests and in student activities. In 1928 and 1928 he was awarded the Ballarat School of Mines Honour blazer by the Old Boys' association for all round athletic ability, leadership and scholarship. After spending two years with the Melbourne City Council Electric Supply Department gaining industrial experience Hillman was awarded his Diploma of electrical engineering in 1931, returning to the School in 1932 to teach apprentices and senior students. Hillman was appointed lecturer in Engineering Design and Graphics in 1937, lecturer in Engineering Design and Civil Engineering in 1944, Lecturer-in-Charge of Mechanical and Civil Engineering in 1948 and Head of the Electrical Engineering Department in 1949, a position he held until his retirement in 1973. In 1975 Lindsay Hillman was appointed to the Council of the Ballarat School of Mines and played an active role in school affairs.As Vice-President of Council from 1981 until his death in 1991 Hillman took a leading part in the implementation of many of the major building projects on the Lydiard Street Campus. The L.F.J. Hillman Award was established by the Ballarat School of Mines Council in conjunction with and through the generosity of the Hillman family in honour of the late Lindsay Frederick John Hillman. The bronze medal was presented annually to an enrolled student in an accredited course in the field of electrical/electronics studies at the Ballarat School of Mines. specific Criteria for the Award consisted of a balance of academic performance, leadership qualities, commitment to further study and involvement in sporting and/or community groups.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Lindsay Hillman Memorial Medal" Verso: "The School of Mines and Industries Ballarat, Est. 1870 Presented to "

Book - University of Ballarat Annual Report, 2011

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Soft covered annual report of 152 pages with a photo of a building under construction on the cover. Photographs include Y Building (Science) under construction, University of Ballarat Pipe Band, Ted Ballieu, Julia Gillard, Honorary Doctorate to Jeremy Johnson; Grant Petch, Khoa Do, Sonia Tuner, Lisa Marshall, Danielle Button, Rana Stollery, Christopher Schliefort Inscriptions and Markings

Historical information

Federation University Australia was established on 1 January 2014. Formerly known as the University of Ballarat, its enabling legislation was the University of Ballarat Amendment (Federation University Australia) Act 2013. Although formally created as a University in 1994, the University of Ballarat had a lineage back to 1870 with the establishment of the School of Mines Ballarat, making it the third institution of higher learning to be established in Australia and the first to be established in regional Australia. On 1 January 1994, Ballarat University College became the University of Ballarat and in 1998 the University merged with three TAFE Institutes to become a dual sector institution with multiple campuses. On 1 January 2014, the University of Ballarat amalgamated with the Monash University Gippsland Campus to form Federation University Australia. The Gippsland Campus also had a long lineage dating back to 1928 with the establishment of the Yallourn Technical School which became a predecessor institution to the Gippsland College of Advanced Education formed in 1968. In 1990, it was renamed the Monash University College and in 1993 became the Gippsland Campus of Monash University. Federation University Australia, or FedUni, is Australia’s newest public University. Headquartered in Ballarat, Victoria, the University offers programs in Higher Education and Vocational Education and Training to regional Victoria and beyond. The University’s commitment to educational and social equity, teaching excellence, research distinction, environmental sustainability and regional capacity building has enabled it to develop in a way that draws on its proud heritage to inform its future. Its regional character sets a framework for the University’s priorities but does not constrain it from serving wider community interests, nationally and internationally. With campuses from Horsham in the west of the state, to Churchill in the east, the name Federation University Australia was chosen to convey the scope and capacity of an expanded regional university with a federated network of campuses contributing to a new and different Australian university.

Booklet - Alumni 2002.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

History of the Gippsland Campus of Federation University

Historical information

Federation University Australia was established on 1 January 2014. Formerly known as the University of Ballarat, its enabling legislation was the University of Ballarat Amendment (Federation University Australia) Act 2013. On 1 January 2014, the University of Ballarat amalgamated with the Monash University Gippsland Campus to form Federation University Australia. The Gippsland Campus also had a long lineage dating back to 1928 with the establishment of the Yallourn Technical School which became a predecessor institution to the Gippsland College of Advanced Education formed in 1968. In 1990, it was renamed the Monash University College and in 1993 became the Gippsland Campus of Monash University. In 2016, Federation University Australia announced plans to take possession, over a two-year period, of Monash’s Berwick Campus in the south-east corridor of Melbourne. Federation University Australia, or FedUni, is headquartered in Ballarat and offers programs in Higher Education and Vocational Education and Training to regional Victoria and beyond. The University’s commitment to educational and social equity, teaching excellence, research distinction, environmental sustainability and regional capacity building has enabled it to develop in a way that draws on its proud heritage to inform its future. Its regional character sets a framework for the University’s priorities but does not constrain it from serving wider community interests, nationally and internationally. The name Federation University Australia was chosen to convey the scope and capacity of an expanded regional university with a federated network of campuses.

Documents - Establishment of the Ballarat School of Mines, 1870

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Correspondence and planning documents relating to the setting up of the Ballarat School of Mines. it includes tenders for contractors for the refurbishment of the former Ballarat Circuit Court. .1) Rules for the pupils of the Mining School at Zurickau, 18/11/1870 (not translated by Emanuel Steinfeld, perhaps by W. Henderson) .2) Regulations of the Mining Academy at Frieberg, 18/11/1870 .3) Einrichtungen, Freiberg, 1870 (written in German) .4) Letter from Somerville Learmonth of Ercildoun to Harrie Wood, Clerk of the Board of Mines Ballarat, accepting a position as one of three trustees of the Ballarat School of Mines, along with Redmond Barry and R.H. Bland, 08/01/1870 .5) Printing order with Robert Wreford, 26/01/1870 .6) H. Waymouth to Mr Bickett re the Ballarat School of Mines, 1780 .7) Letter from R.H. Bland of Clunes to Harrie Wood of the Ballarat Mining Board, 27/01/1870 .8) Letter from Somerville Livingstone Learmonth of Ercildoun to Harrie Woods of the Ballarat Mining Board refusing the offer to be a Trustee of the Ballarat School of Mines, 28/01/1870 .9) Minutes of the meeting of the Ballarat School of Mines Executive Council, 05/02/1870 and Correspondence from Harrie Wood to J. Warrington Rogers re the lease of the building for the Ballarat School of Mines, 21/01/1870 .10) Chief Secretary's Office to Ballarat Mining Board re Life Membership of the Ballarat School of Mines, 02/02/1870 .10b) Letter from Redmond Barry, Carlton Gardens, Melbourne re the visit of the Governor of Victoria to the Ballarat School of Mines, 04/02/1870 .12) Letter from Charles Pucke on behalf of Mr McCulloch to H, Ainswood, Secretary of the Ballarat Mining Board, 11/07/1870 .13) Correspondence from Henry Rosales of Walhalla (Chairman of the Gippsland Mining Board) to James Baker of the Ballarat School of Mines, 28/12/1870 .11) Meeting of the Executive Council, Bickett, Eddy Downes, 08/02/1870 .14) Letter from John Phillips, contract surveyor of St Arnaud to Mr Newman, Vice-President of the Ballarat School of Mines, 15/12/1870 .15) Articles ordered and obtained for the Ballarat School of Mines, 03/01/1870 .16) Telegram from John Lewis of Clunes to the Ballarat School of Mines. .16b) Quote from painter Thomas Robson for painting the Ballarat School of Mines, 05/06/1870 .17) Note from Duncan Gillies to Harrie Wood re grant for the Ballarat School of Mines, 05/06/1870 .18) Correspondence re Grant to the Ballarat School of Mines, Duncan Gillies, 04/07/1870 .19) Correspondence concerning the Ballarat School of Mines from F. Valient to Harrie Wood, 14/05/1870 .19b) Correspondence from Somerville Livingstone Learmonth to Harrie Woods - an apology for a meeting with Judge Rogers, 23/05/1870 .20) Letter from R.H. Bland to Harrie Wood, 15/07/1870 .22) Telegraph from J. Warrington Rogers to Harrie Wood of the Ballarat Mining Board concerning tenders for the Ballarat School of Mines, which was established in 1870. .23) Letter from Ballarat Mining Board to Judge Warrington Rogers, 31/05/1870 .24) Telegraph to Harrie Wood of the Ballarat Mining Board from J. Warrington Rogers concerning Sir Redmond Barry. A note at the bottom of the telegraph notes ‘This telegram has been delayed through repairs on line. .25) Letter on Melbourne Public Library Letterhead from librarian Augustus Fulk, 05/08/1870 .26) Letter from R.H. Bland to Harrie Wood, 30/05/1870 .27) Letter from Robert Park re alteration of the former Ballarat Court House for use as the Ballarat School of Mines, 05/05/1870. .28) Letter from G. Whitty re painting of the former Ballarat Court House for use as the Ballarat School of Mines, 04/05/1870 .29) Letter from William Newman re plastering of the former Ballarat Court House for use as the Ballarat School of Mines, 05/05/1870 .30) Letter from Charles A. Abbott re teaching Mechanical Drawing at the Ballarat School of Mines, 04/04/1870 .32) Letter from Redmond Barry to the Ballarat School of Mines, 07/1870 .31) National Insurance Company of Australia insurance for the Ballarat School of Mines (former Ballarat Circuit Court), 01/05/1870 .33) Letter from R.H. Bland to Harrie Wood, 09/1870 .34) Letter from Somerville Livingstone Learmonth to Harrie Wood, 06/09/1870 .35) Letter to the Chief Secretary to the Ballarat School of Mines Library & Museum, 30/11/1870 .36) Parliament house (Kitto) to the Ballarat Mining Board, 15/11/1870 .37) H. de la Poer Wall of Grenville College to R.W. Newman of the Ballarat School of Mines, 27/04/1971 .38) W.H. Odgers to the Ballarat East Town Clerk, 20/05/1870 .39) Correspondence to the Borough of Clunes for the Ballarat Mining Board requesting a grant to set of a school of mines at Ballarat. 25/03/1870 .40) Surveyor to Harrie Wood, Mining Registrar, 27/04/1870 .40) Letter to Judge Warrington Rogers re the contractor's account for satisfactory completion of work on the Ballarat School of Mines, 11/07/1870 .43) Desks for the Ballarat School of Mines by Henry Gough, 1870 .44) Ballarat Star Office to James Baker of the Ballarat School of Mines, 1870

Report - Arthur Phillip by Ken Clements

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Typed research notes on Arthur Phillip held in digital form.

Historical information

Ken Clements, a member of the First Fleet Fellowship, prepared these notes for a talk presented to that organisation on 25 May 2014.

Book - University of Ballarat Annual Report, 2013

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

52 pages soft covered annual report. Contents include the University charter, highlights of 2013, University of Ballarat Foundation, Sustainability, About the University, Council Members, Industrial relations, public information and financial statements.

Historical information

On 01 January 2014 University of Ballarat became Federation University Australia. The 2013 University of Ballarat Chancellor was Dr Paul Hemming, and the Vice-Chancellor was Professor David Battersby. The Manufacturing Technology Training Centre (MTTC) was opened at the SMB Campus, and the Science and Engineering Building, as well as the Sports and Recreational Centre were completed at the Mount Helen Campus. Members of the 2013 University of Ballarat Council were Mashelle Parrett, George Fong, Michael Ryan, Peter Wilson, Tony Stone, Steve Davies, Warwick Spargo, Meredith Doig, Rowena Coutts, Deborah Spring, Karen Douglas, Paul Hemming, David Battersby, and Kim Dowling.

Book - University of Ballarat Annual Report, 2012

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Book - Final recommendations Ballarat Study Area Land Conservation Council, Victoria, 1982

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Yellow soft covered report of 95 pages . The contents of the report include: Parks, reference areas, wildlife reserves, water production, harwood production, softwood production, flora Reserves and Flora and Fauna reserves, bushland reserves, historic area and reserves, rivers and streams, Roadside conservation and Highway parks, Education areas and School Plantations, Lake Reserves, geological reserves, recreation, scenic reserves, agriculture, mineral and stone production, utilities and survey, township land, Uncommitted Land, military training, other reserves and public land. Maps include: The Study area 1: 250 000 Supplementary Maps

Photograph - black and white - Daniel Walker

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

.1) Portrait of Daniel Walker of the Ballarat School of Mines .2) Photograph mount with calligraphy and painted design

Document - Green Hill History

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Three pages History of Greenhill by Anne Beggs Sunter, and two further pages of notes.

Historical information

The Green Hill settlement dates from the 1860s. Developers in the 1960s chose to call it Mt Helen rather than Green Hill. Mt Helen is believed to be named after Helen Hastie, the daughter of Reverend Hastie of Buninyong. In 1866 a 241 acre site was purchased for a new tertiary institution. It is now known as the Federation University Mount Helen Campus. Green Hill is a scoria dome and though dominated by Mt Buninyong (Elevation 2442 feet) it is thought to have been formed earlier.

Booklet - Federation University SMB Campus

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Twenty page booklet outlining some of the buildings on the Federation University SMB Campus

Photograph - Black and White - Ballarat School of Mines Students' Magazine, 1916-1923

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

A red bound copy of the Ballarat School of Mines Students' Magazine, holding copies for years 1916 to 1923. 1916 The 1916 Students' Magazine features many references to World War One, including an image of Ted Cannon, a gifted artist attending the Ballarat Technical Art School (part of the Ballarat School of Mines [SMB] campus) from 1912. After completing his art course Ted was employed as an assistant teacher at the Art School, before taking a position as cartoonist with the Ballarat Star newspaper at the end of 1914. In 1915 Ted was awarded the prestigious Victorian Education Department Senior Technical School Scholarship. Only months into his scholarship, Ted volunteered for the AIF. He was killed in action on 14 September 1916 in France. 1917 Editorial staff, Natural Colour Motion Pictures, Chemistry, Caricatures, Old Art School Students, Old Science School Students, Broken Hill, Lal Lal Deposits, SMB Athletic Team, SMB Roll of Honor, Junior Technical School Senior Cadet Team, Ballarat, Junior Technical School; Ballarat Junior Technical School Bugle Band, A visit to Ronaldson's Workshop 1920 Historical Sketch of the Ballarat School of Mines, War Service, Editorial Staff, Maurice Copland Obituary, The Chemist, Separation of Lead and Zinc Sulphides, Explosives, Werribee Gorge Visit, Daylesford Visit, Sports Ground, Indian Art, Dressmaking, Herbert H. Smith, Drawing From the Antique, Caricatures, Ballarat School of Mines Football Team. 1921 A.F. Hesiltine, Editorial Staff, Feathertop and Mt Buffalo trip, Plumbing, frequency changer, Melbourne excursion, Melbourne Electric Railways, Dawn of Modern Art, Moorabool Trip, Guy Fawkes, Bush Camp, Caricatures, manual art, past students, SMB Athletic Team, Cadet camp at Broadmeadows, Ballarat Junior Technical School Athletics Team. 1922 Editorial Staff, Assaying, Plasticity of Clay, Lal Lal V Morwell, Cheap Electricity, Clyde Lukeis Obituary, Ken Moss Obituary, Past Students, Old Boy's Association, Reunion, SMB Athletic Team, Military News, Athletics 1923 Editorial Staff, Alfred Mica Smith Biography, caricature, Robert James Dowling Obituary, Chemistry, America, SM Football Team, Ballarat Junior Technical School, Wireless Telegraphy, Caricatures,

Historical information

The Ballarat School of Mines Magazine does not appear to have been publishing in 1914, 1915, 1917, 1918, and 1919.

Annual report - Federation University Australia Annual Report, 2014

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Hard and electronic copy of the Federation University Australia Annual Report. This annual report includes details of the establishment of Federation University Australia.

Historical information

Federation University Australia was established on 1 January 2014. Formerly known as the University of Ballarat, its enabling legislation was the University of Ballarat Amendment (Federation University Australia) Act 2013. Although formally created as a University in 1994, the University of Ballarat had a lineage back to 1870 with the establishment of the School of Mines Ballarat, making it the third institution of higher learning to be established in Australia and the first to be established in regional Australia. On 1 January 1994, Ballarat University College became the University of Ballarat and in 1998 the University merged with three TAFE Institutes to become a dual sector institution with multiple campuses. On 1 January 2014, the University of Ballarat amalgamated with the Monash University Gippsland Campus to form Federation University Australia. The Gippsland Campus also had a long lineage dating back to 1928 with the establishment of the Yallourn Technical School which became a predecessor institution to the Gippsland College of Advanced Education formed in 1968. In 1990, it was renamed the Monash University College and in 1993 became the Gippsland Campus of Monash University. Federation University Australia, or FedUni, is Australia’s newest public University. Headquartered in Ballarat, Victoria, the University offers programs in Higher Education and Vocational Education and Training to regional Victoria and beyond. The University’s commitment to educational and social equity, teaching excellence, research distinction, environmental sustainability and regional capacity building has enabled it to develop in a way that draws on its proud heritage to inform its future. Its regional character sets a framework for the University’s priorities but does not constrain it from serving wider community interests, nationally and internationally. With campuses from Horsham in the west of the state, to Churchill in the east, the name Federation University Australia was chosen to convey the scope and capacity of an expanded regional university with a federated network of campuses contributing to a new and different Australian university.

Annual Report - University of Ballarat Annual Report, 2013

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Digital copy of the University of Ballarat Annual Report

Historical information

This is the last annual report of the University of Ballarat. On 01 January 2014 it became Federation University Australia.

Photograph Album - Ballarat College of Advanced Education Graduation, 1984

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Brown covered photograph album showing the Ballarat College of Advanced Education conferring of degrees held at Founders Hall, Mount Helen campus. The photographs include the academic procession and some photographs of the audience.

Historical information

Ballarat College of Advanced Education is a predecessor institution of Federation University Australia.

Artwork - Henry Sutton Timeline Banner by Lorayne Branch

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Two versions of a very large Henry Sutton timeline.

Historical information

A print out of this banner was used during the Ballarat Heritage Weekend. It is now hanging in SMB Old Chemistry Building.

Emagazine - Fedpress Magazine

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

PDFs of the Federation University Magazine 'fedpress'. Hardcopy of the following years: Issue No 10, 2016 (Unibar, Stone Cutters, Australian Hospitality, Jogy Dontje, Jess Kelly, Pietro Angeli, Getting Through Semester One, Online Student understanding, Liana Skewes, Brianna MacDonald, Student Services, Student Senate, S. Hooley, HECS Help, Ashleigh Dyer, Six things that can cost you easy marks, Laura McLachlan, Surviving grief, Theahna CoburnTenneill Pearl, Rochelle Jardine, Zach Mullane, Dakota Richards, Survival Guide, Scarlette Baum) Issue No 12, 2016 (Crows, Joshua Paddon, Sarah McLean, Fandom, Learn Another Language, Laura McLachlan, Planes, Pietro Angel, Cover Co, mpetition, Megan Corder, Jess Kelly, The Secret Life of Post-Grad Students, Cale Hellyer, What I hate about Facebook, Damian Brown, National Student Vounteer Week, Premnath Chakarvarty, Selin Kasif, Brendan Caffrey, Senate Six, Fed United, Awards, Ultimate Frisbee, Ashleigh Dyer, Cassandra Lovett, Rochelle Jardine, Dakota Richards, Freya Fogliani) Issue No 13, 2016 Issue No. 14, February 2017 Issue No. 15, May 2017 (James Charlton, Rebecca Fletcher, Timothy Kirkham, Mohammad Sami Baardarani, Lajan Maharjan, Jennifer Pont, Kate Williams, Damian Brown, Matthew James, Zoe Ormiston, Freya Fogliani, Myles Hema, Jess Powell) Issue No. 17, October 2017 (Jack Barnes, Damian, Syed Zain Ali, Molly Irvine, Rebecca Fletcher) Issue No. 18, February 2018 (Submission Dates, Guidance for the Shell-Shocked Graduates, Pills, Shark, How to be a Writer, Climate Summit) Issue No. 21, October 2018 (Bianca Bedford, Kelsey Knight, Laura Benney, Rainbow Collective, Smartphone, Sarah McLean, Monique Stephens, Clare Hartigan, Liam Carter) Issue No. 22, March (2018) 2019 (Elizabeth McCracken, Troy Anthony Platt, Liam Carter, O.R. Brayne, Dakota Powell, Elizabeth McCracken, Dan Schweinzer, Jordyn Presley, Sarah McLean, Bianca Bedford, Bronwyn Nel, Beck Small, Tara Parada) Issue No. 23, July 2019 (Beck Small, Jasmyne Tziziras, Jodie Flower-Russell, Maxwell Waterhouse, Dhogaluxmi Chemen, Alisha Hendrick, Elizabeth McCraken, Trent Bowes, Will La Grue, Laura Benney, Sir Troy Anthony Platt, Harrod Boadie, Kathryn Drum, Jordyn Presley, Bianca Bedford, Bronwyn Nel, Olly Brayne, Cherise Oosthuizen, Chloe Waddell, Nyalat Pel Kun, Autism

Historical information

Formerly known as Hotch Potch, FedPress is the student publication of Federation University Australia. FedPress is a space for students to showcase their written and visual talents. The editorial team aim to inform, inspire, and entertain. We are looking for a range of different creative individuals — journalists, reviewers, poets, designers, artists, and photographers — to submit content. FedPress Magazine prints four issues a year and is distributed across FedUni's Ballarat, Wimmera and Gippsland campuses.

Reports - Nanya Station

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Four digital reports documents relating to Federation University's Nanya Station, Western New South Wales

Historical information

Nanya Station, owned and managed by the University of Ballarat (now Federation University Australia), was purchased with assistance from the Department of Environment and Heritage Government Caring for our Country program. Nanya Station is located in the Scotia country, west of the Darling Ana-Branch in far western New South Wales and consists of the Nanya Western Lands Pastoral Lease 3281 – Perpetual Leasehold Lot 1244 in Deposited Plan 762778, Parish of Winnebaga, County of Tara and part of Lot 1242 County of Windeyer. Nanya is within the tribal area of the Danggali Aboriginal people, a sub-group of the Barkindji. Many Aboriginal sites have been recorded adjacent to major rivers in the region providing evidence that these areas supported a large population. The Scotia region has one of the shortest stock grazing histories of western NSW. Along with five other Scotia properties, Nanya was created as a pastoral lease in 1927. The first European settlement on the land followed exploration of the area by Sturt and Eyre. In 1854, the Lake Victoria lease which encompassed this area comprised 465,000ha.included Scotia blocks 1, 2, 3 and 4, Amoskeag and Winnebaga which formed the area known as the Scotia. It was described as a region of thick mallee scrub, interspersed with bluebush flats and Belah woodland. In the 1920s artesian water was found and the dry Scotia country was surveyed and divided into six Homestead leases allocated by ballot (Withers 1989). All properties were approximately 30,000ha, with a recommended stocking level of 3,000 sheep. Winnebaga (renamed Nanya) was taken up by Gordon Cumming. He initially dug a dam near the southeast corner of the property. A larger ground tank and rudimentary dwelling at the site of the present complex was later established. An adjacent area was cleared and cropped to provide feed for the horses used in digging the earth tanks. The ruins of the original building are located between the shearing shed and Homestead Tank. A cottage was built in the 1930s and a more substantial Red Gum framed homestead in the early 1950s. The lease was held by Mr Gordon Cumming until 1984 when it was purchased by Mr Norm Scadding as an extension to the adjacent lease, Belvedere. It was sold in 1995 to Mr Rob Taylor of Waikerie then in 1999 to BeMax Pty. Ltd., a sand mining company. These last three owners all permitted use of the property by the University for teaching and research. The Centre for Environmental Management at the University of Ballarat had been involved in studies of flora and fauna in western New South Wales since 1988. Studies became concentrated on the Scotia region with its variety of intact ecosystems due to a short pastoral history. Of particular significance is a system of natural salt lakes of which the most extensive is the Scotia Discharge Complex located on Nanya Station. An extensive vegetation survey of the Scotia region Westbrooke et al. 1998) highlighted the significance of the area both in terms of the range of communities in relatively intact condition and the occurrence of species and communities of restricted distribution. Nearly 400 species were recorded of which nine had either not previously been recorded or have restricted distribution in western NSW. Twenty-two plant communities occur on Nanya Station of which two, Halosarcia lylei low open shrubland and Hemichroa diandra/Halosarcia/Frankenia low open shrubland, are dominated by species not previously recorded from NSW. H. lylei and Acacia loderi shrublands are listed as endangered under the NSW Threatened Species Conservation Act. As noted, the area has a relatively short grazing history and, due to the presence of large areas of mallee with a Triodia understorey and restricted water supplies, stocking rates have been low. The diversity of ecosystems in relatively intact condition and extensive areas of old growth mallee made Nanya a highly significant refuge for biological diversity. This factors led to the purchase of Nanya Station by the University of Ballarat in 2004 with the assistance of the Department of Environment and Heritage for the purposes of conservation, research and education. In 2010 the southern paddocks of Nagaella Station (10,000ha.) which lie along the northern boundary, were purchased with the assistance of Lower Murray Darling Catchment Management Authority and added to the Nanya lease to provide complete protection for the communities of the Nanya Discharge Complex and further high quality Malleefowl habitat.

Book - Federation University Australia Annual Report, 2015

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

52 page soft covered book including donations, sustainability report, FedUni Foundation, about the university.

Report - Ballarat School of Mines Conservation Management Plan, 2016

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

CD-ROM of the SMB Campus Conservation Management plan, and a printout of the 390 page Draft report on the Federation University SMB Campus.

Register of Attendances - Ballarat School of Mines Register of Attendances, 1983

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Light blue hard cover with red taped spine Education Department Victoria Technical Schools Register of attendances for the year 1983 in the subject of Building and Construction. Record closed.

Historical information

The register lists names and attendances of trade classes at the Ballarat School of Mines.

Register of Attendances - Ballarat School of Mines Register of Attendances, 1983

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Light blue hard cover with blue taped spine Education Department Victoria Technical Schools Register of attendances for the year 1983 in the subject of Woodwork Hobbies Names in the register areJoseph Antonelli, Alan Bier, Mark Botten, Peter Harrington, Michael Hayes, David Hubble, Dale Letcher, William Mitris, David Pedelsden, Stephen Pollock, Andrew Robertson, Paul Scholz, Gregory Stokie, Brett Stone. Record closed.

Historical information

The register lists names and attendances of trade classes at the Ballarat School of Mines.