Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre) Mount Helen, Victoria

The Federation University Australia Historical Collection, (formerly University of Ballarat), is held in the Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre (GBRC), and is located on the top floor of the E.J. Barker Library (Mt Helen Campus). The GBRC includes three special book collections of the library, the Geoffrey Blainey Mining Collection, the Federation University Australia Research Collection, and the Creedy Economics Collection.

Titles from the three library special collections can be searched online via http://innopac.federation.edu.au, but must be read in the Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre Supervised Reading Room.

The Federation University Historical Collection is an extensive collection of historical material dating from the formation of the Ballarat School of Mines in 1869. The collection covers material from Federation University's predecessors including the Ballarat School of Mines, Ballarat Teachers' College, State College of Victoria, Ballarat; the Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education, Ballarat College of Advanced Education, Ballarat University College, Wimmera Institute of TAFE, Monash Gippsland, Gippsland Institute and University of Ballarat. It is particularly strong in the themes of mining, education, and local history.

On 01 January 2014 the University became Federation University Australia with the amalgamation of the University of Ballarat and Monash University’s Gippsland campus. FedUni brings together skills and expertise throughout Ballarat, Gippsland and the Western region of Victoria for the benefit of our regional communities.

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 663 Ballarat Victoria 3353 (map)
phone
+61 03 5327 9168

Opening Hours

Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre Hours: Tues 9.30am - 1.00pm Wed 1.00pm to 5.00pm Thurs 1.00pm to 5.00pm Fri 9.30am - 1.00pm or by appointment

Entry Fee

Free entry.

Location

Federation University Australia, Mt Helen Campus Federation University Australia E.J. Barker Library (top floor) Mount Helen Victoria

View on Google Maps

The Federation University Historical Collection is located at the Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre (GBRC) on the top floor of the E.J. Barker Library (Mt Helen Campus) and includes a supervised reading room where collections can be accessed and read. The GBRC also houses the Geoffrey Blainey Mining Collection and the Federation University Library Special Collections.

Titles from the Federation University Library collections can be searched online at http://innopac.federation.edu.au. The Federation University Historical Art Collection online catalogue is located at http://guerin.ballarat.edu.au/curator/collection/ and the Federation University Historical Collection is searchable via Victorian Collections.

Federation University Historical Collection is an extensive collection of historical material dating from the opening of the Ballarat School of Mines in 1870. The collection covers material from the Federation University's predecessors including the Ballarat School of Mines, Ballarat Teachers' College, State College of Victoria, Ballarat; the Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education, Ballarat College of Advanced Education, Ballarat University College, Wimmera Institute of TAFE, Monash Gippsland and University of Ballarat.

Significance

Federation University Historical Collection is significant because of its emphasis on local education, particularly at the tertiary level. It relates to the Ballarat School of Mines, Australia's first technical school, are an important aspect of the collection. Material on former staff, students and local identities are also housed in the collection. Through the Ballarat School of Mines Federation University is the third oldest tertiary institution in Australia, and has resulted in a strong and important emphasis on mining in the collection.

Mrs Robyn Thompson 2 September 2016 9:17 AM

Hello. I have just seen a photo of Pioneers of Ballarat on the web site. It has the Object registration 15771. A large group of men. I see my great ancestor D GUNN the photo. As I'm searching my family tree, I would love to have the photo of him Any chance that someone can help me with my request. Please contact me on [email protected] Robyn Thompson (Mrs)

Amanda Osborne 25 September 2016 4:28 PM

My great great grandfather, William Simpson, and his three brothers worked in a mining area called Hard Hills near or between Ballarat and Buninyong. He married Mary Kelly, an Irish Orphan girl,arrived on the Pemberton in May 1849, the same year. Can you please tell me if you can identify a previous gold mining area called Hard Hills or if there is any documentation or photographic records relating to same. My gratitude and thanks in anticipation. Amanda Osborne [email protected] 0437130393

Leave a comment

5335 items with images

Chemistry vessel - Chemistry apparatus

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Glass vessel with hourglass shape, top opening, and 2 round side openings, side openings at different levels.

Ballarat Teachers' College Ceremonial Collar

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Light blue grosgrain sash, bound in yellow taffeta, sewn by machine. Two mitred seams, one at each shoulder, hand sewn and two seams machine stitched on straight part of sash. A BTC insignia is placed in the centre back. The insignia is stitched in yellow, royal blue and dark blue cotton. This sash is hand sewn at the end of one side length, in order to shorten it.

Historical information

Worn by the principal of Ballarat Teachers' College over black academic gown at formal assemblies. Ellwood was the Principal of the Ballarat Teachers' College. Ballarat Teachers’ College was opened on 04 May 1926, at S.S. 33 Dana Street, with an enrolment of 61 students. Its original staff consisted of the Principal, Mr W.H. Ellwood, M.A., M.Ed. (Chairman of the Teachers’ Tribunal from its inception in 1946 until 1954), Miss A. Bouchier, B.A., and Mr A.B. Jones, BA., (lecturers). In 1927 Miss P.A. Hamano joined the staff. In 1927 the college moved to the old Ballarat East Town Hall (remodelled for their use) in Barkly Street. During 1927 the numbers in the College were augmented by 26 Manual Arts students, who had formerly received their training at Ballarat High School. Manual Art students continued till 1930 when, on grounds of economy, their training was concentrated at Melbourne Teachers’ College. During the four succeeding years, approximately 60 students annually entered the primary course. Inclusive of Manual Arts students, and private fee-paying students, exactly 400 trainees passed through the College in its brief span of life (1926-1931). Five per cent of each year’s students were granted an extension of their studentship to enable them to proceed to Melbourne Teachers’ College, and to take the first year’s course for a University degree. With the advent of the economic depression of the ‘thirties, Ballarat Teachers' College closed its doors in December, 1931. Fourteen years were to pass before the College opened again on February 2nd, 1946. The college re-commenced at SS Dana Street, under the guidance of Mr W.F. Lord, M.C., M.M., B.A., Dip. Ed., (acting, later Principal 1946-1950) and a staff consisting of Miss E.B. Hughes, B.A., Dip. Ed., Mr C.B. Bryan, B.A., B. Com., Dip. Ed., Miss Monica H. Miller, L.Mus.A., and Miss G. Kentish, Dip. Phys. Ed. The opening ceremony was performed by the Minister of Education at that time, the Hon. F. Field, M.L.A., accompanied by the Hon. T.T. Hollway, M.L.A., and the then Director of Education, Mr J.A. Seitz. It was originally intended to cater for women students only but, at the last moment, men resident in Ballarat were also accepted. A co-educational college was thus set up instead, and it has continued as such. 1951 saw the introduction of the two-year course, successful students being presented with the Trained Primary Teacher’s Certificate at the final College Assembly each year. In December 1955, College held its first Graduation Ceremony, with its own Graduation Hymn, the words of which were written by Miss C.M. (Mavis) Canty of the staff. Lord remained as principal until 1951 when he transferred to establish a teachers' college at Toorak. Tom William Turner was Lord's successor. A highlight of his term was the construction of new college buildings at Gillies Street with the students commencing their lessons there in February 1958. Turner retired in 1970, having overseen a period of substantial growth in the institution. In that year alone more than one hundred and forty students completed their primary teaching qualification to meet a severe shortage of teachers. Doug Watson commenced as principal in 1971. In 1973 Ballarat Teachers' College became the State College of Victoria at Ballarat. Three years later Ballarat College of Advanced Education was formed and the teacher education students moved to the Mount Helen Campus. In 1990 Ballarat College of Advanced Education became Ballarat University College, an affiliated college with the University of Melbourne. The University of Ballarat was formed in January 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Extra Muros (Beyond the Wall) on insignia BTC (Ballarat Teachers' college)

Certificate - Technical Schools Second Grade Certificate for Drawing Ornament from a Cast in Light and Shade, 1930

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

A number of certificates awarded to Edith Alice (Alice) Watson. .9) Blue print on cream card, black ink hand writing with purple director's stamp. Certificate No. 166936 Awarded to Edith A. Watson

Historical information

The artwork undertaking at the Ballarat School of Mines was found in a folio on top of wardrobe at the nursing home where Edith Watson lived. It is assumed that the artworks were quite precious to the maker.

Inscriptions & Markings

"ADVANCED" stamped in purple ink. "Ballarat School of Mines No. 10" stamped in red. Edith A. Watson Pass in Drawing Ornament from a cast in Light and Shade, 1931.

Book - Introduction to Botanic Teachings at the Schools of Victoria, 1877

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

A light brown, hardcovered book of 152 pages. Chapters include Eucalyptus Trees; Wattles or Acacias; Casuarinas or Sheoaks; Cypress Pines or Sandarac trees; Exocarpos trees of Natice Cherry trees; Mistletoes; Native Honeysuckles or Banksias; Bellflower, Lobelia and Goodenia; Heaths; Correas; Mallow; Buttercups and Clematis; Cruciferous Plants; Mints; Orchids; grasses; ferns. The book has numerous botanical line drawings, and a comprehensive index.

Historical information

Ferdinand von Mueller was an examiner of botany at the Ballarat School of Mines (SMB) between 1880 and 1888. During that era he was active in donating related items to the School. When the Ballarat School of Mines Council agreed to introduce pharmacy and botany classes in 1879, it was apparent students would require access to botanical specimens in order to further their studies. Council members, who were inspired by the work of Baron Ferdinand von Mueller, authorised development of an area along the School's northern boundary, fronting Lydiard Street South, and oversaw the establishment of the new Botanical Gardens. Baron von Mueller took a practical role the development of SMB's Botanical Gardens from the beginning. He became a generous benefactor who 'donated collections of seeds and leguminous fodder plants, including valued grasses of interest and use to agriculturalists and graziers generally' to SMB over many years. Ferdinand von Mueller's entry on the University of Ballarat Honour Roll can be found at http://www.ballarat.edu.au/curator/honour-roll/honourroll_von_mueller.shtml Also See Cat. No. 13917

Inscriptions & Markings

Inside front cover "J. Clement Souter M.D."

Ammeter - Ammeter attributed to Henry Sutton

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

A crude scientific instrument that measures amps, with a timber base and frame. Terminal posts and sliders contacts are positioned on top of the base, with flex attached. Henry Sutton lectured at the Ballarat School of Mines (SMB) in Electricty and Magnestism between 1883 and 1886. In 1883 Sutton reported: ‘…The class has been unfortunately situated, by having to wait for instruments of precision ordered from England, but which have not come to hand. The delay has caused us to start constructing instruments, which it is hoped will bear favourable comparison with those of older date.'

Historical information

W.B Withers wrote of Sutton: "In the realm of science Ballarat has become of world-wide fame through the inventions by Mr Henry Sutton, a native of the place. His skill and acquirements in electricity, telegraphy, telephony, photography and also in astronomical and microscopal studies have won for him a high position as a practical scientist, and the credit is the greater as he is a self-taught student … Mr Sutton, before he was fourteen years old, had read every book on science to be found in the library of the Ballarat Mechanics' Institute." The Ballarat School of Mines (SMB) was fortunate to have this genius appointed as the lecturer-in-charge of the new Electricity and Magnetism department from 23 April 1883. Although Henry Sutton submitted his resignation to the Council of SMB in October 1884 it was resolved that he be asked to reconsider, and Mr Sutton continued to teach at SMB until the end of 1886. He was a prominent member of the Camera Club, and many of the other SMB clubs. Sutton had an active and fertile brain, and was known for his inventions, especially his work on the telephone, telephane and carbon lamps. Sutton presented a vacuum pump, worked by water jet, for use in SMB Chemistry classes. His report of 1883 states: ‘A telephonic circuit has been laid down between the [SMB] engine-house and workshops, to be used for experimental purposes.’ Henry Sutton spent much thought on artificial flight, and made some interesting experimental studies with flying birds. The storage of electricty also attracted his attention, and, after much work and thought evolved the Sutton Secondary Battery. A paper on this battery was presented to the Royal Society, London, and was afterwards printed in the 'Transactions'. Henry Sutton is listed on the Federation University Honour Roll at https://www.federation.edu.au/curator/honour-roll/honourroll_sutton.shtml

Booklet - Outline of the Constitution of the School of Mines for the Colony of Victoria at Ballarat

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

.1) Yellow soft covered booklet of 4 pages. The contents include an outline and rules of the proposed Ballarat School of Mines, Resolutions of the Mining Board at Ballarat, and a draft constitution. .2) Ballarat School of Mines Constitution handwritten rough notes .3) Ballarat School of Mines Constitution handwritten rough notes .4) Ballarat School of Mines handwritten draft Constitution

Historical information

The Ballarat School of Mines was established in 1870 after a resolution from the Ballarat Mining Board. It is the first School of Mines in Australia. The first three trustees were Redmond Barry, Rivett Henry Bland, and Somerville Learmonth.

Plan - Improvements on the Camp Reserve Ballarat, 1870

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Hand-drawn plan on white linen showing the camp reserve in what is now known Ballarat's Camp Street. The plan shows allotments in an area bounded by Mair, Sturt and Lydiard Streets. The plan has colours indicating wooden buildings, stone buildings, brick buildings, Wood & zinc buildings, and wood & brick buildings.

Historical information

The Ballarat Camp house the Goldfields administrators. It was from this site that the troopers left on the morning of 3 December 1854 to attack the Eureka Stockade. Much of the area shown in on the west side of Camp Street is now used by the University of Ballarat Arts Academy.

Programme - A Concert in Aid of a Fund to establish a Percy Campbell Memorial Prize

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Four page programme printed in brown ink on cream paper. the concert was held at Albert Hall Ballarat

Historical information

Frank Wright wrote the following tribute to Percy Campbell which was printed in the Ballarat Courier. "With the passing of Percy Campbell, Ballarat has lost its best known and most distinguished musician. His was no ordinary talent, but an inborn musicianship touched with genius. He was a critic of the keenest perception and many able musicians sought his advice on technical matters over a wide range. His ear was of the most sensitive kind, and among his unusual accomplishments was that rarity among musicians, "absolute pitch." Those of us who knew him well will reflect with pride that we were privileged to journey with him for a little while along life's highway. Percy Campbell belonged to Ballarat, and to Ballarat's music. He was part of the city itself. Handicapped through partial blindness from birth, there can be no doubt that had he been in full possession of his faculties, and been able to travel, his name would have been known in every corner of the world."

Programme - Farewell Concert to Mr Frank Wright

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Four page souvenir programme printed in brown ink. The Concert by the Ballarat Soldiers' Memorial Band, was held in the Ballarat Town Hall under the patronage of the Mayor Cr A.R. Stewart and city councillors. The programme includes a photographic image of Frank Wright in band uniform, and the Ballarat Soldiers' Memorial Band (Frank Wright conductor)

Identity card - William Hall Robertson's identity card

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Double sided card with handwritten details on a printed card

Historical information

This card was witnessed by Elizabeth Ann Robertson of 1004 Mair St, Ballarat. It most probably has something to do with security during World War 2.

Booklet - Eureka Centenary Programme

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

10 page souvenir programme for the Eureka centenary celebrations held in Ballarat in 1854. Includes an article on Eureka by Clive Turnbull, Geoffrey Serle and J.G. Murtagh; members of the centenary committee, and the Programme of events.

Invoice - William Barrett Mining and Agricultural Blacksmith Invoice

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Printed invoice with business address and image of a forge on the top. The invoice was made at to Fred Martell of the Ballarat School of Mines, and was signed by James Barrett

Inscriptions & Markings

Stamped 'Passed for Payment Ballarat'

Book - A Handbook of the Destructive Insects of Victoria, Part One

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Purple hardcovered book153 pages plus 20 figures. Contents inlcude: Introduction to Entimology, classification of insects, quarantine rules, Woolly Aphis, Codlin Moth, Curve-winged Apple moth, Apple-tree borer, Apple-bark Scale, Apple Beetle, Red Spider, Harlequin Fruit Bug, Pear and Cherry Slug, Rutherglen Fly-pest, Cherry borer, Pear Phytoptus. Coloured plates (by C. Brittlebank)of insects and figures (by Hart Vonarx) include the Knowles' Pump, Charnwood Spray, Danks' Lever Spray Pump, Spawn's Climax Spray, Apparatus for Sparying Orange Trees, Strawsonizer, French Portable Hand Spraying Machine, Lowe and Park's Insect Exterminator, Greenhill Codlin Moth Lamp, Wolfskill Fumigator, Tutus Fumigator, Oliver Fumigator, Agitator Spray Pump

Inscriptions & Markings

Bookplate - Ballarat School of Mines Ballaarat No 1201. Presented by Secretary for Agriculture, Melbourne, 14th July 1891

Book - Artesian Wells

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Brown hard covered book of 142 pages. Contents include state of the art of boring for water in Europe, Asia and America, Progress in the Australian Colonies, Water-bearing rocks - permanence of supply, machinery and cost of boring, irrigation for Artesian wells, and sub-artesian or shallow boring.

Book - Freemasonic Records Ballarat and District 1854 - 1957

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Printed green book with soft cover. The book lists all masonic bodies, including lodges and chapters, that have worked within 30 miles of Ballarat during the first 100 years of Freemasonry in the district. Includes a Loose, one page addenda et Corrigenda.

Historical information

Born at the Victorian town of Sandhurst (now Bendigo, Albert Steane attended the Gravel Hill State School until the fourth class, then transferred to the Central School 1976 where he gained the Merit Certificate. The monitor system of teacher training had been introduced and he passed as a fourth, third, second and first class pupil teacher. At about 16 years of age Steane was appointed a teacher monitor at £12 per annum. Albert Steane was awarded the Teachers' Certificate of Competency in 1897. He was the first headmaster of the Ballarat Technical School, and opened the Sloyd (woodwork) Centre in 1902 at the Ballarat East Art School (later known as the Ballarat East Free Library). According to the Ballarat Courier of 23 March 1957 Steane established the Ballarat Junior Technical School in February 1913, a part of the School of Mines and Industries Ballarat. The beginning classes with 86 pupils were held at a temporary site at the Dana Street School. Classrooms were so scattered that Steane recalled without his motorbike he would never have covered the ground! By 9 September 1921 the Junior Technical School Building was officially opened on the site of the old Ballarat Gaol. In a confidential report of 1916 Steane was described as one of the best organizers in schools at that time, and he was noted for his strong but fair discipline. In the 1926 school report the Chief Inspector wrote that 'no boy is neglected'. Steane held the position of headmaster at the Ballarat Junior Technical School for 29 years retiring on 16 April 1942. Steane is known for the teaching of Sloyd or woodwork, which was an important point in his career, and for his love of gymnastics. He was made a life member of the Ballarat Y.M.C.A. in 1968 aged 91 years. The teaching of woodwork in Victoria began in 1901 and Steane was chosen, among 18 others for the inaugural training course at Queensberry State School in Melbourne. Because of his lifelong love of gymnastics Steane organized a gymnastic display for the Education Department in 1902 at Bendigo's Golden Jubilee Exhibition. He was one of those instrumental in establishing the Ballarat Y.M.C.A. and directed its physical culture evening classes in 1906. In 1908 Steane toured the world visiting the Swedish Naas Institute and the Gymnastic Festival in Germany. Steane in his reminiscences recalls: "In 1908 I obtained leave of absence and undertook a world trip to further my knowledge of both manual art training and physical training. On this trip I visited U.S.A., Canada, Scotland, England and Europe. Notable events were the attendance at the great 11th Deutche Turnfest at Frankfurt, inspection of the Naas Training School for Sloyd at Naas, Sweden inorgorated [sic] by Otto Solomon, and attendance at Physical Education Demonstrations at London given by the Swedish institution. These P.E. demonstrations were given to assist the organization and introduction of P.E. training in London schools.On returning to Ballarat I resumed my position at the Ballarat East Sloyd Centre and continued my studies at the Ballarat Art School gaining the Drawing Teachers' Certificate." Steane died, aged 93 years, on 13 July 1970, at Sydney, leaving his widow Grace Elliott Steane and children Eric and Violet. Steane is listed on the University of Ballarat Honour Roll at https://www.ballarat.edu.au/curator/honour-roll/honourroll_steane.shtml

Inscriptions & Markings

The image of Albert Steane in the front of the book is inscribed "Yours faithfully A.W. Steane."

Magazine - Australian Garden and Field - A monthly Journal of Australian Agronomy

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Australian Garden and Field, Vol XXXIV. No. 1, June 1908. 64 page illustrated magazine with bluecover featuring a photograph of an imported Guernsey Bull.

Book - Rules of the Ballarat Turf Club 1870

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Small Brown/maroon booklet of 24 pages. Includes constitution, subscription, membership, rules of horse racing in general, standard weights for age, weighing, starting, heats, foul riding, nominations, disqualifications, stakes, forfeits, betting, scratching and amendments and additions made to the rules of the Ballarat Turf club approved at a special general meeting held at Craig's Royal hotel on 9 October 1872

Inscriptions & Markings

Ammended rules have been crossed out in red ink

Book - Shepherd's Gold: The Story of Stawell

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Grey hard covered book of 194 pages covering the history of Stawell, Victoria. Contents include Gold, squatters, Ayreys of Warranooke, Diggings, Reefs, Local Government, Road District, Shire, Borough, Town, Hospital, schools, Churches, Growth of Settlement, Claim Jumps, Sheep, Farming, Water, Grampians, Magdala, Callawadda, Deap Lead, Glenorchi, Great Western, Green's Creek, Marnoo, Wal Wal.

Historical information

One of the 6 University of Ballarat campuses is at Stawell.

Certificate - Education Department Elementary Certificate made out to Frank Wright at Smeaton State School No 53272

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Cream printed certificate with hand written additions.

Historical information

In 1860 Smeaton residents appealed for funds to establish a school. Patrick Curtain, and his co-workers raised more than £150 plus a land grant (Allot A, Sect 2, Township of Smeaton). Head Teacher John Forbes, with assistant Zillah North, opened a timber school building which measured 36ftx18ft (11.0x5.5m) on 1 September 1861 with 44 children. Rising enrolment to 65 in 1868 made building alterations necessary. During 1870-1 a residence of four rooms was supplied and in October 1882 a 20ftx18ft (6.1x5.5m) classroom. In 1907 a new brick building accommodated 122 children. Among notable ex-pupils are Major-General Bridgeford, Frank Wright ( Musical Director of the London County Council), Alex Wright, (AKA singer Andre Navarre), and Les Brooks. (Visions and Realisations). Frank Wright was a renown resident of Smeaton, where he was born in 1901. He lived at Laura Villa, and attended Smeaton State School. His father William was a gold miner and his mother's name was Sarah. He was the youngest of eleven children. Their family won many singing and instrumental awards. Frank was tutored by Percy Code and was awarded a gold medal for the highest marks in the ALCM examinations in the British Colonies at the age of seventeen years. He became the Australian Open Cornet Champion by the age of eighteen. A year later, Frank conducted the City of Ballarat Band, and later the Ballarat Soldiers’ Memorial Band. He formed the Frank Wright Frisco Band and Frank Wright and his Coliseum Orchestra. These bands won many South Street awards, and Frank as conductor won many awards in the Australian Band Championship contest. In 1933 Frank Wright sailed to England to conduct the famous St Hilda’s Band and was appointed in 1934 as the Musical Director of the London County Council (the GLC or Greater London Council), where he organized many amazing concerts in most of the 150 parks, in and around the London district. He was also responsible for some of London’s major concerts at Kenwood, the Crystal Palace and Holland Park. He was made Professor of Brass and Military Band Scoring and Conducting and was a Fellow of the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. Frank was often invited to adjudicate Brass Band Championships around Europe, in Australia, including South Street and in New Zealand. Frank was awarded an M.B.E. in 1967 and he died in November 1970. The Frank Wright Medal at the Royal South Street competition is awarded to an individual recognized as making an outstanding contribution to brass music in Australia.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten additions in caps: This is to Certify that FRANK J.H. WRIGHT has completed satisfactorily the Course of Study prescribed for Elementary Schools. Dated at SMEATON Elementary School, No. 552 this 23RD day of NOV. A.D. 1915 Class-teacher's name: DAVID WALTON Head-teacher's name: DAVID WALTON Robt STEPHENSON Inspector of Schools

Photo - Wright Family photo

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Sepia photo postcard of Wright Family Group. Frank Wright's father (William) on far right, and mother in centre back.

Historical information

Frank Wright was born at Smeaton, lived at Laura Villa, and attended Smeaton State School. His father William was a gold miner, and his large family was musical, winning many awards in the singing and instrumental areas. Frank was tutored by Percy Code and by the age of 18 was the Australian Open Cornet Champion. A year later, Frank conducted the City of Ballarat Band, and later the Ballarat Soldiers Memorial Band. He formed the Frank Wright Frisco Band and Frank Wright and his Coliseum Orchestra. These bands won many South Street awards, and as conductor Frank won many awards in the Australian Band Championship contest. He became well known and respected as a conductor and adjudicator of band competitions at very high levels in Australia and New Zealand. In 1933 Frank Wright sailed to England to conduct the famous St Hilda’s Band and was later appointed Musical Director of the London County Council, where he organized many amazing concerts in parks, in and around the London district. He was made Professor of Brass and Military Band Scoring and conducted at the Guildhall of Music and Drama. Frank was often invited to adjudicate Brass Band Championships around Europe, as well as at Ballarat’s South Street and in Australia and New Zealand. The Frank Wright Medal at the Royal South Street competition is awarded to an individual recognized as making an outstanding contribution to brass music in Australia.

Inscriptions & Markings

3 small holes in photo

Book - Ballarat School of Mines Annual Reports 1895-1902

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

A number of Ballarat School of Mines Annual General reports bounds in a dark blue hardcover with black leather spine. Includes some illustrations such as the Ballarat School of Mines Senior Staff.

Historical information

The Ballarat School of Mines was established in 1970 and was the first school of Mines in Australia.

Book - Scotland to Ballarat: The Story of Hugh Gray, Elizabeth Grey and their Descendants

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Blue, soft covered book of 210 pages. The illustrated book outlines the story and descendants of Hugh and Elizabeth Gray, and includes extended sections on the Ralston, Annear and grant families.

Photograph - William Landsborough with Jemmy and Jack Fisherman, 1862

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Sepia studio photograph of two Aboriginal men known as Jemmy and Jack Fisherman, dressed in European clothing, standing beside a man holding a top hat who is William Landsborough. Gift of Peter Spark

Historical information

Australian Explorers often had Aboriginal guides in there party.

photo - House - probably in Ballarat

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Sepia photograph of two women and a boy standing in the gateway of a weatherboard house.

Photograph - Woman and child in front of a house

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Sepia photograph of a pregnant woman holding the hand of a child standing outside a picket fence on a very steep slope. The fence encloses a brick house. The house is quite possibly in Ballarat.

Photograph - Infantry Barracks, Noumea, New Caledonia

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Photograph of a number of infantry personnel in front of a multi-leveled barracks in Noumea, New Caledonia

Photograph - Brick School - possibly in Ballarat district

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Black and white photography of a brick school set in a simple garden. The school is possibly in the Ballarat district 6.2x10.4

Photo - St Michael's and All Angels church and cemetery, Ashton-under-Lyne

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

.1) Sepia photograph mounted onto card showing St Michael's and all Angels church and graveyard in Ashton-Under-Lyne. The gravestones shown in the photograph are no longer evident today. The cemetery area is now covered with grass.

Historical information

The Church of St Michael and All Angels dates from the 15th century and is the Parish Church for Ashton under Lyne. It is believed there was a church on this site before the Norman Conquest as the Domesday Book mentions a St Michael's Church in the east of the ancient parish of Manchester. Much of the structure was re-constructed in Victorian times. The church with large windows in Perpendicular style. Buttresses were required with this type of building as the large window area reduced the strength of the walls. The church boasts boasts some of the best examples of fifteenth century stained glass left in Britain. There are eighteen panels illustrating the life of St. Helena. The church tower is 145 feet high and has a peel of thirteen bells. (From ashton-under-lyne.com)

Photo - Holy Trinity, Bardsley and St Michael's and All Angels Church and Cemetery, Ashton-under-Lyne

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

.1) Sepia photograph mounted onto card showing Holy Trinity, Bardsley, Ashton-under-Lyne. Snow is evident in the foreground and the church is surrounded by a graveyard. .2) Sepia photograph mounted onto card showing St Michael's and All Angels church, alongside a graveyard.

Historical information

The Church of St Michael and All Angels dates from the 15th century and is the Parish Church for Ashton under Lyne. It is believed there was a church on this site before the Norman Conquest as the Domesday Book mentions a St Michael's Church in the east of the ancient parish of Manchester. Much of the structure was re-constructed in Victorian times. The church with large windows in Perpendicular style. Buttresses were required with this type of building as the large window area reduced the strength of the walls. The church boasts boasts some of the best examples of fifteenth century stained glass left in Britain. There are eighteen panels illustrating the life of St. Helena. The church tower is 145 feet high and has a peel of thirteen bells. (From ashton-under-lyne.com) Holy Trinity Church, Bardsley was consecrated on the 10th October 1844 by the Bishop of Chester. The church was only the third church in the Borough of Ashton-under-Lyne to be carved out of the parish of St. Michael & All Angels, Ashton. The church was built on land donated by the Hulme Trustees.

Inscriptions & Markings

Signed lower LHS "J.W. Mellor" Lower RHS "Ashton-under-Lyne"

Photograph - Little Gem tintype - Portrait of a Woman

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

A tintype portrait of a woman's head, attached to a card.

Historical information

The tintype (or ferrotype or Melainotype) was produced on metallic sheet (not, actually, tin) instead of glass. The plate was coated with collodion and sensitized just before use. It was introduced by Adolphe Alexandre Martin in 1853. The most common size was about the same as the carte-de-visite, 5.5cm x 9.0cm, but both larger and smaller ferrotypes were made. The smallest were "Little Gem" tintypes, about the size of a postage-stamp, made simultaneously on a single plate in a camera with 12 or 16 lenses. They were often produced by travelling photographers, and were cheaper than Ambrotypes so made photography available to working classes, not just to the more well-to-do. The print would come out laterally reversed (as one sees oneself in a mirror). Being quite rugged, tintypes could be sent by post. Tintypes were eventually superseded by gelatin emulsion dry plates in the 1880s, though street photographers in various parts of the world continued with this process until the 1950s. (Above information abridged from http://www.rleggat.com/photohistory/history/tintype.htm) The firm of Gove and Allen opened in Sydney in 1880 and were responsible for the belated popularizing of the gem tintype in Australia. The firm traded as both The American Gem Studio and The American Studio. Others franchises were opened in Melbourne, Ballarat and Sandhurst (Bendigo). The Sandhurst branch closed in 1882 and Adelaide in 1884. All Gove and Allen studios had ceased trading by 1885. The studio addresses were: 23 King William St, Adelaide; 324 George St, Sydney; 95 Swanston St, Melbourne; Howard Place, Sandhurst; 7 Queen St, Brisbane; The card mounts used in Gove and Allen studios in Australia are identical to those used in America. They were initially made of plain white card with embossing around the oval image opening in the mount while some also had simple geometric and floral printed designs as well. Although Gove and Allen studios produced the majority of gem tintypes in Australia, other studios offered them including: - London, American & Sydney Photo Company, 328 George St, Sydney; - David Edelsten, 55 & 57 Bourke St, Melbourne; - Burman's Portrait Rooms, St. George's Hall, 209 Bourke St, Melbourne; - Bell's Gem Portrait Studio, 57 Bourke St East, Melbourne; - R. H. Kenny, Bridge St, Ballarat; - Marinus W. Bent, Sandhurst (Bendigo); - George Fisher, Victoria; - Anson Brothers, Hobart Town. (Abridged information from http://members.ozemail.com.au/~msafier/photos/tintypes.html)

Inscriptions & Markings

Printed lower left hand side of the card "American Studio, 324 Geo. St."