Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre) Mount Helen, Victoria
The Federation University Australia Historical Collection, (formerly University of Ballarat), is held in the Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre (GBRC), and is located on the top floor of the E.J. Barker Library (Mt Helen Campus). The GBRC includes three special book collections of the library, the Geoffrey Blainey Mining Collection, the Federation University Australia Research Collection, and the Creedy Economics Collection.
Titles from the three library special collections can be searched online via http://innopac.federation.edu.au, but must be read in the Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre Supervised Reading Room.
The Federation University Historical Collection is an extensive collection of historical material dating from the formation of the Ballarat School of Mines in 1869. The collection covers material from Federation University's predecessors including the Ballarat School of Mines, Ballarat Teachers' College, State College of Victoria, Ballarat; the Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education, Ballarat College of Advanced Education, Ballarat University College, Wimmera Institute of TAFE, Monash Gippsland, Gippsland Institute and University of Ballarat. It is particularly strong in the themes of mining, education, and local history.
On 01 January 2014 the University became Federation University Australia with the amalgamation of the University of Ballarat and Monash University’s Gippsland campus. FedUni brings together skills and expertise throughout Ballarat, Gippsland and the Western region of Victoria for the benefit of our regional communities.
Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre Hours: Tues 9.30am - 1.00pm Wed 1.00pm to 5.00pm Thurs 1.00pm to 5.00pm Fri 9.30am - 1.00pm or by appointment
Federation University Australia, Mt Helen Campus Federation University Australia E.J. Barker Library (top floor) Mount Helen VictoriaView on Google Maps
The Federation University Historical Collection is located at the Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre (GBRC) on the top floor of the E.J. Barker Library (Mt Helen Campus) and includes a supervised reading room where collections can be accessed and read. The GBRC also houses the Geoffrey Blainey Mining Collection and the Federation University Library Special Collections.
Titles from the Federation University Library collections can be searched online at http://innopac.federation.edu.au. The Federation University Historical Art Collection online catalogue is located at http://guerin.ballarat.edu.au/curator/collection/ and the Federation University Historical Collection is searchable via Victorian Collections.
Federation University Historical Collection is an extensive collection of historical material dating from the opening of the Ballarat School of Mines in 1870. The collection covers material from the Federation University's predecessors including the Ballarat School of Mines, Ballarat Teachers' College, State College of Victoria, Ballarat; the Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education, Ballarat College of Advanced Education, Ballarat University College, Wimmera Institute of TAFE, Monash Gippsland and University of Ballarat.
Federation University Historical Collection is significant because of its emphasis on local education, particularly at the tertiary level. It relates to the Ballarat School of Mines, Australia's first technical school, are an important aspect of the collection. Material on former staff, students and local identities are also housed in the collection. Through the Ballarat School of Mines Federation University is the third oldest tertiary institution in Australia, and has resulted in a strong and important emphasis on mining in the collection.
Advertising card - School of Mines: Popular Science Lectures, 1882
Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen
Beige coloured card written on both sides
The card enabled a person to attend the 'Popular Science Lectures' which were held in the lecture hall of the school. These were the Winter course of 1882. The Lectures were from 8p.m. They ran from June 9 through to October 11. The subjects were varied and a guest speaker was responsible for each session. G Foord (Royal Mint) - Alchemy; Rev Ick (Sandhurst) - The Wonders of Coral Life; R Ellery (Government Astronomer) - The Sun's Distances and the Transits of Venus; J Thomas (Geelong) - The Stellar Universe; J Usher (Doctor) - Physiology, Body and Bones; Baron Von Mueller (Government Botanist) - General observations on the Flora of Australia; Professor Mica Smith - Gold; Professor F Kraush - Volcanic rocks of the Ballarat District. This was organised by the School Councilwhen James Oddie was Vice-President.
Album - Coloured photographs take of reunions of the 1949 Ballarat Teachers' College.
Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen
Album of coloured photographs take at the 25th, 40th and 45th reunions of the 1949 Ballarat Teachers' College, as well as as some photographs of some rose blooms that was important to the attendees because it was named the forty niner rose. Some of the photographs are original others are photocopies.
Ballarat Teachers' College was a predecessor of Federation University
album - System Design
Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen
black cloth-bound album containing hand-written notes, diagrams, tables and printed material
left at Ballarat School of Mines by Principal Graham Beanland
album - 1964 summer school in power system electrical engineering
green cloth-bound album containing notes, tables, diagrams and photographs
album - Water Turbines
Blue cloth-bound album containing hand-written notes, diagrams, tables and printed material
Associated with Former Ballarat School of Mines Director Graham Beanland
Album pages - Photographic Biographies of former 1947 Ballarat Teachers' College students
Pages from a large photograph album with photographs and handwritten reminiscences relating to students at the Ballarat Teachers' College in 1947. .1) Athol Aisbett .2) Nance Alexander, Jess Batson, Eddie Blake .3) Phyllis Borley .4) Keith Boyd .5) Owen Brennan, Josie Bunney, Ron Carless .6) David Cooper .7) Inez Domaschenz .8) Jean Clode, John Collins, Colin Collins .9) Dawn Doney, Fay Dreher .10) John Ellison, Ethel White .11) Hugh Fraser, Joyce Mathison .12) Marie Faulds, Robert Giddings .13) Val Gorrie, Bill Gleeson, Joan Gunning .14) Bill Henderson .15) Pat Luxford .16) Tom Hill, Nancy Kerr, Lindsay Harley .17) Keith McClean .18) Claire Kennedy, Keith McLean .19) Ann McKinnon .20) Maurine Merlin, Joyce Kennedy .21) Fred Marshman .22) Howard Pattenden .23) Milton Rice .24) Mayvis Poland, Bill Punshon .25) Pat Robinson .26) Pat Watts .27) Betty Williams, Jim Williams .28) Lorna Welsh, Neila Vallance .29) Kath Tobin, Jack Tyers .30) Burns Roddis .31) Howard .32) Owen Brennan .33) Colin Connelly .34) Jack Mallett .35) Black display book of correspondence and death notices relating to former 1947 Ballarat Teachers' College Students
Gathered over the years as the result of Ballarat Teachers' College reunions.
Ammeter - Ammeter attributed to Henry Sutton
A crude scientific instrument that measures amps, with a timber base and frame. Terminal posts and sliders contacts are positioned on top of the base, with flex attached. Henry Sutton lectured at the Ballarat School of Mines (SMB) in Electricty and Magnestism between 1883 and 1886. In 1883 Sutton reported: ‘…The class has been unfortunately situated, by having to wait for instruments of precision ordered from England, but which have not come to hand. The delay has caused us to start constructing instruments, which it is hoped will bear favourable comparison with those of older date.'
W.B Withers wrote of Sutton: "In the realm of science Ballarat has become of world-wide fame through the inventions by Mr Henry Sutton, a native of the place. His skill and acquirements in electricity, telegraphy, telephony, photography and also in astronomical and microscopal studies have won for him a high position as a practical scientist, and the credit is the greater as he is a self-taught student … Mr Sutton, before he was fourteen years old, had read every book on science to be found in the library of the Ballarat Mechanics' Institute." The Ballarat School of Mines (SMB) was fortunate to have this genius appointed as the lecturer-in-charge of the new Electricity and Magnetism department from 23 April 1883. Although Henry Sutton submitted his resignation to the Council of SMB in October 1884 it was resolved that he be asked to reconsider, and Mr Sutton continued to teach at SMB until the end of 1886. He was a prominent member of the Camera Club, and many of the other SMB clubs. Sutton had an active and fertile brain, and was known for his inventions, especially his work on the telephone, telephane and carbon lamps. Sutton presented a vacuum pump, worked by water jet, for use in SMB Chemistry classes. His report of 1883 states: ‘A telephonic circuit has been laid down between the [SMB] engine-house and workshops, to be used for experimental purposes.’ Henry Sutton spent much thought on artificial flight, and made some interesting experimental studies with flying birds. The storage of electricty also attracted his attention, and, after much work and thought evolved the Sutton Secondary Battery. A paper on this battery was presented to the Royal Society, London, and was afterwards printed in the 'Transactions'. Henry Sutton is listed on the Federation University Honour Roll at https://www.federation.edu.au/curator/honour-roll/honourroll_sutton.shtml
Annual Report - Ballarat School of Mines Annual Report, 1923
Printed annual report from the Ballarat School of Mines. * Plaster cast purchase
Annual Report - The Geelong Harbour Trust Commissioners' Third Report for the year ending 31st December 1908
Red soft covered foolscap report of 101 pages
Inscriptions & Markings
Seal of the Geelong Harbour Trust Commissioners
Annual Report - 2008 Annual Report from University of Ballarat - TAFE Portfolio: Skills Victoria Development (Professional Development) Grant 2008: Report
Annual Report 1880 - The School of Mines Ballaarat Annual Report, 9 February, 1880
Pale green booklet of 70 pages, Annual Report 1880. Image of Guage Test Tower, Image of The School of Mines, Plan of Ground and Buildings - Albert Street, The School of Mines Ballaarat - The Museum - Plan of Groundfloor, Image of the Lal-Lal Iron Ore Deposits, Moorabool River
The School of Mines Annual Report, 9 February, 1881, Additional Examination Statute 1880, Balance Sheet, Certificates Granted by Council, Donations and Fees - carriage of, Extracts from Visitors' Book, Fees, Form of Bequest, Honorary Correspondents, Life Governors, Mining and Mineral Contributions Invited - Paper of Particulars, Museum - open to visitors, Office Bearers, Obituary, Report of the Lecturer in Mathematics, Report of the Lecturer in Mining-Land- and Engineering-Surveying, Report of the Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering, Report of the Lecturer in Telegraphy, Report of the Curator of the Museum (with Plans), Report of the Superintendent of Laboratories, Subjects and Lecturers, Subjects and Examiners, Statement of Receipts and Expenditure for the year 1880, Subscriptions and Donations from 1 January to 31 December 1880, The Lal-Lal Iron Ore Deposits - (with Section and Plan)
Annual report - Federation University Australia Annual Report, 2014
Hard and electronic copy of the Federation University Australia Annual Report. This annual report includes details of the establishment of Federation University Australia.
Federation University Australia was established on 1 January 2014. Formerly known as the University of Ballarat, its enabling legislation was the University of Ballarat Amendment (Federation University Australia) Act 2013. Although formally created as a University in 1994, the University of Ballarat had a lineage back to 1870 with the establishment of the School of Mines Ballarat, making it the third institution of higher learning to be established in Australia and the first to be established in regional Australia. On 1 January 1994, Ballarat University College became the University of Ballarat and in 1998 the University merged with three TAFE Institutes to become a dual sector institution with multiple campuses. On 1 January 2014, the University of Ballarat amalgamated with the Monash University Gippsland Campus to form Federation University Australia. The Gippsland Campus also had a long lineage dating back to 1928 with the establishment of the Yallourn Technical School which became a predecessor institution to the Gippsland College of Advanced Education formed in 1968. In 1990, it was renamed the Monash University College and in 1993 became the Gippsland Campus of Monash University. Federation University Australia, or FedUni, is Australia’s newest public University. Headquartered in Ballarat, Victoria, the University offers programs in Higher Education and Vocational Education and Training to regional Victoria and beyond. The University’s commitment to educational and social equity, teaching excellence, research distinction, environmental sustainability and regional capacity building has enabled it to develop in a way that draws on its proud heritage to inform its future. Its regional character sets a framework for the University’s priorities but does not constrain it from serving wider community interests, nationally and internationally. With campuses from Horsham in the west of the state, to Churchill in the east, the name Federation University Australia was chosen to convey the scope and capacity of an expanded regional university with a federated network of campuses contributing to a new and different Australian university.
Annual Report 1876 - The School of Mines Ballaarat Annual Report, 31 January, 1876
White booklet of 40 pages - the Ballarat School of Mines Annual Report 1876
The School of Mines Annual Report, 31 January, 1877, Statements of Receipts and Expenditure for 1876, General Balance Sheet and List of Subscriptions, Donations, A few Words of the Objects of The School, Annual Report, Bequest - form of, Certificates granted by the Council, Donations of Books, Specimens, facilities for forwarding, Examiners, Extracts from Visitor's Book, Fees - table of, General Balance Sheet, Honorary Correspondents, Laboratories - cost of, Lecturers, Life Governors, Museums, Officer-Bearers, Receipts and Expenditure 1876 - General, Receipts and Expenditure 1876 - Pyrites Fund, Receipts and Expenditure 1876 - Endowment Fund, Subscriptions and Donations, Visitors invited to inspect
Annual Report 1879 - The School of Mines Ballaarat Annual Report, 29 December, 1879
Pink booklet of 40 pages, Annual Report 1879. Image of the Patent Grinder and Amalgamator.
The School of Mines Annual Report, 29 December, 1879, Bequest - form of, Certificates granted by Council, Donations of Books, Specimens and facilities for forwarding, Examiners, Extracts from Visitors Book, Fees - table of, Geological Indications for Determining Position of Lodes, General Balance Sheet, Honorary Correspondents, Laboratories - cost of, Lecturers, Life Governors, Museums, Office-Bearers, Statement of Receipts and Expenditure, Subscriptions and Donations, Treatment of Tailings, Visitors invited to inspect
Annual Report - Ballarat School of Mines Annual Report
Includes the announcement that Henry Sutton had been appointed to teach Electricity and Magnetism.
Annual Report - Ballarat School of Mines Annual Report, 1969
A number of quarto pages with stapled inside a brown card cover. The report was for the year ended 30 June 1969, and was delivered by Ballarat School of Mines President M.B. John. Page 5 lists the Diplomas awarded. Page 6 lists the scholarships, prizes and awards, including the Josephine Brelaz Scholarship, Martha Pinkerton Scholarship, Frank Pinkerton Scholarship, Mica Smith/Serjeant/Ironworkers Scholarship, Ballaarat Has Comapny Scholarship, Ballaarat City Council Scholarship, R.W. Richards Medal. Page 8 covers buildings and accommodation. Conditions were cramped at Lydiard Street , with conditions hoped to be improved when the Stage I buildings at Mount Helen were completed in the following year. Mount Helen Master Plan was undertaken by Joint site planners G.J. Harrison, staff architect at the Flinders University of South Australia. and messrs L.H. Vernon and associates, of Ballarat. The following staff members retired: A.L.H. Aldersey; J.V. Crotty; M. Page; J.Ralston; P.J. Smith, P.B. Todd; Derek Wooley; Mr Goldfinch. TRADE DIVISION: F.D. Hamilton, J. Moran, D.Drake The following new lecturing appointments were made during the year: G.I. Boyd; E.W. Butters; D.R. Dowling; P.D. Kelly; G.J. medwell; R.E. Northey; C.A. Pogliani; R.H. Pyke; Roy Schrieke; B.J. Shearer, D.J. Stabb, T.W. Sweatman; A.C. Turner; D.G. Williams; C.M. McGarry. The Computer centre was enlarged when Arch MacKinnon was transferred as Mathematics lecturer to Computer Manager. J.A. Wilson was the computer operator, and R. Kopke, E. Dykstra and V. Gay were Card Punch Operators. Preliminary work on the new Brewing and Malting course was continuing, and plans were being made for the commencement of courses in Librarianship and General Studies. A Halls of Residence Committee had held meetings to explore the type of student accommodation required.
This annual report was one year before the opening of the new tertiary division at Mt Helen. Council decided to retain the overall title "The School of Mines and Industries, Ballarat" for the foreseeable future, but to separately name the three divisions as follows: 1. Diploma School - The Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education (A division of the School of Mines and Industries, Ballarat) 2. Trades School - The Ballarat School of Industries (A division of the School of Mines and Industries, Ballarat) 3. Secondary School - The Ballarat Technical School (A division of the School of Mines and Industries, Ballarat). The annual report also foreshadowed the Centenary of the School (and technical education in Australia) in 1970. Speaker at the trade Prize Night and Apprenticeship Week was W.J. Anderson, and Craftsmen Certificates were presented by the Ballarat City Council.
Annual Report - Ballarat School of Mines Annual Report, 1970
23 Page report (with supplementary finances) in a soft cover showing a picture of the Former Ballarat Circuit Courthouse which was used as the first building of the Ballarat School of Mines. The report includes a page of stamps produced to commemorate the centenary of Technical Education in Australia through the Ballarat School of Mines. The report was presented by Council President Morgan Bevan John. The report includes information on the new campus for the Tertiary Division at Mt Helen, including information on the buildings being constructed by local builders. The site plan was developed by G.J. Harrison and L.H. Vernon and Associates. The following staff resigned: E.R. McGrath (deceased), E.W. Ryan, I.L. Hunter. The following new appointments were made: R.l. Martin, G.K. Tampi, T.F. Norwood, K.M. Llewellyn, M.J. Evans, J.F. Clark, K.G. Millar, B.R. Rollins, L.G. Shome, C.I. Dowling, M.H. Pitfield, G.M. Pearson, J.P. Murray, J.R. Thyer. Page 10 lists diplomas awarded and page 11 lists scholarships and prizes including the Ballarat has Company Scholarship, the Josephine Brelaz Scholarship, The Frank Pinkerton Scholarship, The Mica Smith/Serjeant/Ironworkers Scholarship, Martha Pinkerton Scholarship, Ballarat City Council Scholarship, Junior Art Scholarship, C.R.A. Scholarship, B.H.P. Scholarship, S.E.C. Scholarship, Alexander Rushal Scholarship, Russell and Shirley Evans Scholarship. The R.W. Richards Medal for 1969 was awarded to Peter Hensley. A new I.C.L. 1901A computer and associated equipment was purchased for the Computer Centre. Page 15 has information on the Victorian Institute of Colleges (VIC). Governor of Victoria, Sir Rohan Delacombe, with VIC's Dr Philip Law visited the Ballarat School of Mines and inspected both the old and new facilities.
The Ballarat School of Mines was founded in 1970 and was the first institution of formal technical education in Australia. 1970 marked the centenary of the School and that of technical Education in Australia. A centenary commitee was established to plan activities and projecty sot celebrate the occasion. These included five centenary lectures fro secondary school students, a film of the School to be made and shown on National Television, a centenary medallion centenary posters, a dinner for local organisations with Council and staff as hosts, an historical notebook on the school, a plaque mounted to mark the site of the original school, opening of the Mt Helen Campus, Relocating the Old SMB battery ot mt Helen, student reunion, Art display of present and former students, Mt Helen Open Days and distribution of car stickers. A Centenary Appeal was established to finance a Great Hall and Sports Centre at the Mt Helen Campus. The Appeal President was Cr W.J.C. North. The materials testing laboratory secured and retained registration by the National Association of Testing Authorities for a range of tests on concrete and metals. The student accommodation at Mt Helen
Annual Report - Ballarat School of Mines Annual Report, 1909
Six page annual report of the Ballarat School of Mines. Information includes an address from President Andrew Anderson; death of Dr J.F. Usher; bequest by Dr Stewart, The new Education Bill, David Ham; J.Y. McDonald; establishment of classes in Plumbing, Manual Training, Carpentry, Woolclassing, First Aid to the injured and Telegraphy; statement of receipts and expenditure and balance sheet.
Annual Report 1874 - The School of Mines Ballaarat Annual Report, 23 December, 1874
White booklet of 20 pages, Annual Report 1874
The School of Mines Annual Report, 23 December, 1874, Balance Sheet, List of Subscriptions and Donations, Fees
Annual Report - Ballarat School of Mines Annual Report, 1948
Typed 8 page foolscap report delivered on 23 February 1948.
Includes information on the resignation of Herbert L. Coburn
Annual Report 1878 - The School of Mines Ballaarat Annual Report, 31 January, 1878
White booklet of 36 pages - Ballarat School of Mines Annual Report 1878
The School of Mines Annual Report, 23 December, 1878, Statements of Receipts and Expenditure for 1877-78, General Balance Sheet, List of Subscriptions and Donations, Bequest - form of, Certificates granted by the Council, Donations of Books, Specimens, facilities for forwarding, Examiners, Extracts from Visitors Book, Fees - table of, General Balance Sheet, Honorary Correspondents, Laboratories - cost of, Lecturers, Life Governors, Museums, Officer-Bearers, Receipts and Expenditure 1878 - General, Balance Sheet 1878 - Pyrites Fund, Receipts and Expenditure 1878 - Endowment Fund, Subscriptions and Donations, Visitors invited to inspect
Annual Report - Ballarat College of Advanced Education Annual Report, 1983
A4 yellow covered booklet - the Ballarat College of Advanced Education Annual Report.
Nursing was established in this year
Annual Report - University of Ballarat Annual Report, 2013
Digital copy of the University of Ballarat Annual Report
This is the last annual report of the University of Ballarat. On 01 January 2014 it became Federation University Australia.
Annual Reports - Report of the Horticultural Society of Victoria, 1884-1890
Three small booklets containing the annual report of the Report of the Horticultural Society of Victoria. .1) 23 page booklet for 1884 including annual report, reports of exhibitions, list of life members and list of member for 1884. Members included William Lee of Daylesford, R. McVicars of Koroit, and W.J. Wood of Daylesford .2) 36 page booklet for 1886 including annual report, financial statement, Fruit exportation, reports of exhibitions, list of life members and list of member for 1884. Members included William Lee of Daylesford, W. Anderson of Koroit, and W.J. Wood of Daylesford .3) 41 page booklet for 1890 including annual report, amended constitution, financial statement, Fruit exportation, reports of exhibitions, list of life members and list of member for 1884. Members included J. Dunstan of Yuille's Flat, Ballarat; and W.J. Wood of Daylesford.
Members of the Report of the Horticultural Society of Victoria had the privilege of procuring seeds, cuttings, scions, &c., from the Society's gardens; also, free admission with 2 ladies, to all the Exhibitions of the Society. The 3 booklets were deaccessioned from the Victorian School of Foresty Library on 02 November 1981
Annual Review - Ballarat School of Mines Annual Review
A number of soft card covered annual report for the Ballarat School of Mines. .1) 12 page black covered report featuring an image of the E.J. Tippett Library. Includes information on death of E.J. Tippett, disability policy, Peter Quinn, Patti McNulty, Bob Feary, Shane Everand, Integration, Fiona Watson, retirement of Robert Morgan, Opening of the carpentry and Joinery Facility in Davey Street, formation of the School of Business and Information Technology, Melissa Bone, opening of the E.J. T. Tippett Learning Resource Centre (Library), Refurbishment of the Administration Building, Food Service Building (Prospects), Court House Theatre, Enrolment centre, Museum, Creche, Women's Trade technical Program, Rural Education Program, Ararat Prison Program, Community Studies Section, Ararat Adult Literacy Group. Literacy Assistance for Undergraduates, Fire training, fitness, open Learning, Training & Employment Group, Awards, Filipino Visitors, oil Seed Research, Brunei, Barometer (gift) for Horticulture, Special Equipment (guillotine and brake press; programmable logic Controller; theodolite: laser lever; Universal testing Machine; Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer)., organisational Structure. Photos include Ken Flecknoe, Peter Quinn, Patti McNulty, Bob Feary, Shane Everard, Fiona Watson,Linda Bland, Robert Morgan, David McCaughey, E.J. Tippett, Frank Sheehan, Julie Baulch, Jo Reeves, Col McCurry, Jenny Garnham .3) Blue covered book with a photograph of the M.B. John Building taken from Albert Street on the cover. Topics include: Ken Flecknoe, Peter Shiells, Ararat Campus, David Haddow, Kevin Martin, Rendle Hannah, Gary Eason, Geoff Pope, Albert Peart, M.B. John building opened, Hairdressing Salon, Community Centre, Creche, closure of Lydiard Street, Museum, Jenny Levison, Inskill, Small Business Training, Ballarat Eat free Library, Barkly Street, Wormalds Valve Group, Aboriginal Programs, Horticulture Center, Awards, Country fire Authority, tractor Donation, Women's Policy. Special purchases included surveying equipment with data recorder, test rig , CDT MIG welder, compact gas chromatograph with FID and single pen recorder, Olivetti stand-alone word processing unit. Images include Ken Flecknoe. Peter Shiells, John Crowe, Trevor Slater, Brian McLennan, Kerrie Cross, Albert Peart, John Cain, M.B. John, Enrollment Centre, Museum, Jo Watson, Wormalds, Brian Webber, Dianna Nikelson, Ian Aitken, Brendan B, Chez Dichiera, Heather Dixon, Julie Broadbent .6) Green covered annual review with an aerial photograph over Albert Street, Ballarat. Content include Kerrie Cross, Peter Shiells. Kenneth Flecknoe Obituary, Ian Pimblett, Keith Boast, David Nicholson, Max Palmer, Brian Webber, Bob Lovett, Linda Bland, Prospects, Training restaurant, 3BBB, Malcolm Vallance, Aboriginal Programs, Ian Cathie, Koorie Support Unit, Caroline Hogg, 'Trained Men Make Their Own Terms' exhibition at the Gold Museum, Ricky Hains, Stephen Hughes, Jeff White, Dennis Bolster .8) Blue covered review for 1989. The contents include: Kerrie Cross, Peter Shiells, Ann McCaffrey, Kevin Alsop, Mary Molloy, Ross Furness, Robert Lovett, Victoria Street Student Hostel, Hugh Beggs, Ballarat Small Business Centre, Inskill, Ararat Campus, Hospitality and Tourism, Koorie Support Unit, Fiona Warsn, Bruce Staley, Terry Moran, Anthony Wonish, Ivan Deveson, Leo Shannon Memorial Award, Bryan Crebbin, Geoff Howard, R.C.W. Burdett, Jeff White, Ian Harris, Tom Wiseman, Bill Gribble, Allison Kay, Steven Mendelson, Keith Boast. .9) Grey covered book with a coloured photo of the Victoria Street Student Residence. Contents include: Kerry Cross, Peter Shiells, Morgan Bevan John Illuminated address. Jean Phillips, Koorie Support Unit, Andrew Sullivan, Victoria Street Student Residence, Horticulture, Inskill, Tertiary Awareness Project, Adult Education, Ivan Deveson, Brian Howe, Barry Jones, Joan Kirner, Andrew Trigg, Warren Perry, Murrell Rock Collections, Gwyn Hanssen-Piggott, Disability Awareness Day, Sebastopol Borough Logo, Phoebe Rimmer, Russell Jackson, R.J. Young Scholarship, Peter Muir, Founders Day Cake, Morgan John. .11) Black card covered booklet with five images of exteriors of the Ballarat School of Mines. the contents include: Jack Barker, Peter Shiells, Peter Ellyard, Ian Stoney, Terry Moran, Wayne Strong, David Ince, Simone Titheridge, Ian Aitken,Kevin Alsop, Bill Bridges, Clive Carmichael, Bob Feary, Rendle hannah, Roly Parfenovics, Graham Snibson, Kevin Stockdale, Len Wilson, Child Care Centre opening, Student accommodation, Victoria Street, Brewery site. naming buildings, E.J. barker. A.W. Steane K.J. Flecknow, Carpentry and joinery, Inskill, Hospitality, Pottery, ceramics, Founders' Day, Warren Perry, Agreement between Ballarat School of Mines and Ballarat university College, merger, Peter Baldwin, Awards, obituary Lindsay Hillman. Images include: Wayne Strong, David Ince, Simone Titheridge, kerrie Cross, Joan Kirner, Frank Sheehan, Bill Gribble Ros Wilkie, Judi O'Loughlin, Tony Leonard, Gemma Hearnes, Brendan Hill, Joanne Bell, Karl Moon, Stella Savy, Shirley Falkinder, Peter Baldwin, Jack Barker, Michael Ronaldson, David Kemp, Peter Shiells, Margot Healey, Sharon McLennan, Kerrie Firns, Petrena Brookers, Deb Goudappel, Claire Bond, Administration Building Lindsay Hillman. .13 ) Brown covered report with photographic images. Content includes: Pam Merrett. , Peter Shiells, Robert Lovett, Steven Mendelson, Max Palmer, Jenny Gough, Barrie Firth .14) Brown covered report with photographic images. Content includes: .15) Green covered report with photographic images. The blond woman standing on the right looking at a computer screen is Pam Merrett. Content includes: Bill Gribble, Ron Wild, Doug Sarah, Martin Hill, John Kemp, David Manterfield, Leslie Comy, Linette Penhall, Glen Martland. Virginia Fenelon. Michael Bracher, Brewery Building. Child care centre, Prospects Cafe, Horticulture Training Centre, Retaining Wall, The Gordon, University of Ballarat and Ballarat School of Mines affiliation, Geoffrey Blainey, Ararat Community College Memo of understanding, Brian McLennan. Founders Day (Hadden Storey), Gwyn Hanssen-Pigott, Ken Latta, Neville Bunning Outstanding Achievement Award, Valerie Wilson, Jack Barker, John Sharpham
The Ballarat School of Mines was established in 1870 through the initiatives of the Ballarat Mining Board making it the oldest site of technical education in Australia. The Board was concerned with the shortage of mine managers for the goldfields. Classes began in surveying, mathematics, and chemistry and a decade later they included metallurgy , assaying and geology. With the decline in goldmining the direction of the college changed and broadened, the art School was established and the Junior Technnical School developed. In 1976, the tertiary sector seperated from teh School of Mines and Industries Ballarat to form the Ballarat College of Advanced Education. In the 1980s SMB was a Community College of Technical Education and Further Education (TAFE) offering a wide range of vocational, enrichment and preparatory programs. It is continuing the tradition of providing for the educaiton needs of people within the Central Highlands. During the 1970s and 80s it acquired and refurbished old buildings and developed new facilities to keep up with the needs of an expanding curriculum and student population. The era of these annual reports is just before the merger with the University of Ballarat.
Architectural Drawing - Ballarat School of Mines: The Proposed Six Storied Main Building
Drawing of the propose six storied main building for the School of Mines site, Ballarat.
Drawing of the School of Mines site showing the proposed six storied Main Building to replace the existing historical gaol building. This was never built. This was sent to Jack Barker in 1970 by Jim Docherty. He was a member of the Board of Technical School Inspectors, Education Department
Architectural Drawing - Ballarat School of Mines: Exhaust System for Carpenter's Machine Shop, 1948
Lined drawing with coloured sections. Measurements: imperial Labelling of each section
Inscriptions & Markings
Name and initials of Chief Architect, Percy Everett
Architectural Drawing - Plans for the Ballarat School of Mines New Classrooms, c1899 (print)
Framed print of original plans for new double storey classrooms at the Ballarat School of Mines. The plans include the front elevation and a side section.
The new classrooms at the Ballarat School of Mines were started in 1899 and completed in 1901. In 2014 this building is known as The Administration Building on the Federation University Australia SMB Campus.
Architectural Drawing - Ballarat School of Mines Ore Treatment Laboratory, 1900
Ground floor plan of ore laboratory drawn on coated cotton cloth, hand colouring
The SMB Mining Plant and Laboratory were formally handed over on 23 May 1902
Inscriptions & Markings
Drawing No 3. Initialed "C.B.A. Jan 1900) H [Illegible} 31 1 00
Architectural Drawing - Ballarat School of Mines Mount Helen Development
.1) Architectural Drawing for the Mount Helen campus Contour plan of Mt Helen campus