Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection Caulfield, Victoria

Glen Eira City Council’s History and Heritage Collection records the municipal history of the City of Glen Eira through its collection of objects, photographs and ephemera.

The City of Glen Eira was formed in December 1994 following the amalgamation of the former City of Caulfield with the northern part of the former City of Moorabbin. These cities grew from the Caulfield District Road Board, proclaimed in 1857, and the Moorabbin District Road Board, established in 1862.

The City of Glen Eira takes its name from two local landmarks - Glen Eira Road and the mansion Glen Eira , demolished in 1964. The first Glen Eira Council was elected by residents and ratepayers in March 1997.

Please note that this organisation has a copyright take-down policy. We have digitised this collection for the purposes of research and education. If you believe that we have infringed your copyright please contact us and we will take down the object/s in question.

Contact Information

location
PO Box 42 Caulfield South Victoria 3062 (map)
phone
+61 9524 3333

Contact

Opening Hours

Monday to Friday 10am–5pm Weekends 1pm–5pm Closed public holidays

Entry Fee

Free

Location

Corner Glen Eira and Hawthorn Roads Caulfield Victoria

View on Google Maps

Glen Eira City Council’s History and Heritage Collection records the municipal history of the City of Glen Eira through its collection of objects, photographs and ephemera. Primarily focused on the history of Council and its relationship with the community, the collection tells the story of the city of Glen Eira prior to and after the period of amalgamation in 1994.

Significance

This is a collection that outlines the course of local government in Melbourne's inner south-east. Council regularly creates and manages material of historical significance as part of the management of the municipality. This collection was developed in response to a 2009 report on the history of the municipality, which surveyed objects on display and in storage at the Town Hall, monuments and sites managed by Council.
Key objects on the register include material related to the function of council, such as symbols of office, items commemorating civic events, and significant local records such as rate books, maps and plans.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

108 items

Book - "Addresses to HRH The Duke of Cornwall & York And His Excellency the Governor General, The Earl of Hopetoun. From The Municipalities of Victoria"

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

"Address to HRH The Duke of Cornwall And His Excellency the Governor General The Earl of Hopetoun From The Municipalities of Victoria" inscribed with gold, decorative lettering on the hard red colour cover. The book contains 120 paper pages containing facsimilies of the illuminated addresses presented to HRH and the GG in 1901 by the municipalities of Victoria. Cover laminated and in poor condition.

Photograph

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

B/w portrait photograph of Cr Emil Braun wearing glassses, a light grey suit, white shirt and dark tie.

Historical information

One of 11 similarly presented b/w half portrait photographs showing various councillors within Glen Eira City Council. Copyright for this image is unknown, although likely commissioned by Council. It has been digitised and published here for educational and research purposes. If you believe that you have copyright to this image and would like it removed from the site please contact us through the 'Leave a Comment' tab below.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten on verso in black ink pen: "Cr Emil Braun" and below written in black pen and crossed out with blue pen "Elected 23/6/84" Sticker with red ink print in lower corner, lhs: "VAN DER TOORREN / Block Arcade Studios / 4th Floor, Block Arcade, 282 Collins St. 03 - 8648 / DATE..............REF................."

Coffee cup, ceramic

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

A ceramic coffee cup with the 1977 City of Caulfield Coat of Arms, showing signs of previous use (stained interior).

Inscriptions & Markings

Bottom of cup: Image of a crown and underneath "Westminster Vitrified China, Australia, Supplied by Isaacson Catering and Hospitality Supplies".

Plaque, commemorative

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Plaque, bronze with polished bronze border, relief lettering and City of Caulfield ensign, and brown textured background. The plaque commemorates the official opening of kitchen extensions by His Worship the Mayor Cr Nicholas Gold on 25th January 1994. It lists Councillors of the City and Chief Executive.

Inscriptions & Markings

THESE KITCHEN EXTENSIONS / WERE OFFICIALLY OPENED / BY / HIS WORSHIP THE MAYOR / CR. NICHOLAS GOLD / THIS 25TH DAY OF JANUARY 1994 / CR. SANDY ANDERSON CR. JAMES BARRETT CR. ED BIGGS CR. TONY BROWNE CR. NOEL ERLICH CR. ALAN GROSSBARD CR. DANIELLE HASTINGS CR. VERONIKA MARTENS CR. DAVID MICHELSON CR. DAVID SPENCER CR. HEATHER WELSH / COUNCILLORS OF THE CITY / THESE KITCHEN EXTENSIONS WERE FUNDED BY THE CITY OF CAULFIELD / WITH ASSISTANCE FROM THE COMMONWEALTH GOVERNMENT'S LOCAL CAPITAL / WORKS PROGRAM / MR DOUGLAS AYLEN / CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

Building - Glen Eira Town Hall

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Brick exterior of two storey building painted white and featuring pillared portico entrance and solid glass doors on Glen Eira road facing north. On the eastern side of the portico is a two storey clock tower with clock surmounted by a flagpole and flag. Some of the eastern section of the building is original with various alterations over the years. The award winning service centre and offices in the westerly aspect of the town hall were extended on to the original buliding in 2000.

Historical information

Originally known as Caulfield Shire Hall, the original 1884 building was designed by Shire surveyor Sydney Smith. In 1931 the Caulfield Town Hall, as it was then known, was remodelled to include the main hall and foyer and a Neo-Grecian portico with Corinthian Order columns. Major works completed since 1945 include Caulfield Arts Complex (opened 20 August 1988), Caulfield Library (opened 4 December 1993) and the award-winning Caulfield Municipal Offices extension which opened on 24 February 1991. The building is listed as No. H0106 in the GECC Heritage Overlay Schedule. The site also includes a Significant Tree (H&H Register No. 034).

Book - "Guest Book"

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Brown vinyl, hard cover book with "GUESTS" embossed on obverse cover and four raised ridges on spine and cream coloured paper pages, 12 pages have been signed. Book presented in a green, fabric bag with black, cord draw-string and CAVALLINI & CO. printed on bag.

Historical information

Guest book presented for signing by guests attending the re-opening of the Bentleigh Library in June 2010 including the signatures of councillors and official visitors.

Newspaper - The Sun News Pictorial, 18 August 1930

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Copy of The Sun News Pictorial, 18 August 1930. Pages are numbered to 36, but only 24 pages intact. Missing inserts.

Historical information

This newspaper was found under the floor during works on Town Hall in Caulfield. It was published in the same year (1930) that the portico was added to the Town Hall. The newspaper publication month coincides with the commencement of works in August 1930. It is possible that this object was deliberately placed underneath the floor at the time. The Sun News Pictorial was established in 1922 and published Monday to Saturday.

Map - "DISTRIBUTION AND USE OF EXISTING PROPERTY. MAP NO. 6."

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Historical information

The map titled: “Distribution and use of Existing property map No. 6” (Metropolitan Town Planning Commission Melbourne and Suburbs) is of historical significance. It is listed on page 168 of Chapter 4 the Zoning section of the "Plan of General Development Melbourne Report of the Metropolitan Town Planning Commission 1929" - Melbourne's first strategic plan. Map No. 6 is mentioned throughout Chapter 4 of the 1929 Report. It states on page 156 that this Map was created to graphically illustrate the data collected by the Planning Commission. The Map illustrates the general distribution of uses of existing property throughout the metropolitan area. The coloured sections show the areas which were developed or were in the process of development in 1929. The colours indicate the distribution of uses in the developed areas. The pink coloured areas, which include Caulfield, were almost completely residential.

Booklet - "City of Caulfield CENTENARY 1857 - 1957"

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Small commemorative book with cream coloured cover. The words "City of Caulfield" are embossed in brown ink on the top of the cover. The original City of Caulfield Coat of Arms is embossed in brown ink in the centre of the front cover. The words "Centenary 1857 - 1957" are embossed in brown ink at the bottom of the cover. The interior pages are cream coloured and are not numbered. The text and images are in black and white. The book shows evidence of being used as library book throughout.

Historical information

Commissioned by the Caulfield City Council to mark the occasion of the Centenary of the City of Caulfield, October - 1957.

Medal, commemorative - "City of Caulfield, Coronation of H. M. Queen Elizabeth II, 2nd June, 1953"

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Small round gilt bronze commemorative medal with loop. Profile of HM Queen Elizabeth II on obverse surrounded by the inscription "CORONATION OF QUEEN ELIZABETH II JUNE 2ND 1953" and "AMOR" near the left shoulder. The City of Caulfield Coat of Arms (unofficial version) is depicted in the centre circled by the inscription "CITY OF CAULFIELD VICTORIA" around central coat of arms. Deterioration due to areas of oxidation on both sides.

Inscriptions & Markings

Obverse - "CORONATION OF QUEEN ELIZABETH II 2ND JUNE 1953" around Head of Elizabeth II and "AMOR" near Queen's shoulder- Reverse - "CITY OF CAULFIELD VICTORIA" around central coat of arms.

Quilt

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Square quilt made of tan coloured cotton. The quilt comprises many small squares, each of which has an image or name signed on it. The images are made of natural objects such as leaves. The names are hand stitched.

Historical information

This quilt was made as part of a public program for Glen Eira City Council's exhibition The Wounded Soldier. The quilt was designed as a response to a loan object for the exhibition, a Red Cross comfort quilt made by school children at Longwary Primary School for the patients at Caulfield Military Hospital after the First World War. Students from across Glen Eira were invited to workshops in 2016, and asked to bring a found natural object. Cameron Auty and Elle Credlin then explained the historic making of comforts for wounded soldiers by children during the war, and asked them to reflect upon what it would have been like to be confronted with war and its outcomes as a child. Artist Deborah O'Toole then guided the children in stitching message into their own cotton squares, and in tying the found objects into the cotton. Deborah then took the squares away and dyed them using a method that involved tying the squares into patterns and dyeing them to create the finished look. The quilt was displayed alongside the Longwarry Quilt during the exhibition before being collected into the collection.

Significance

This object is significant as a modern, artistic response to Caulfield's experience as the centre of repatriation medicine in Victoria after the First World War. It is a locally significant object made by Glen Eira school children, and reflects the area's memorialisation of the war at its centenary.

Plaque, commemorative

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Plaque, bronze rectangular with polished bronze border and relief lettering and brown textured background. The plaque commemorates the opening of the Moorabbin Pavilion by the Mayor CR G. L. Basterfield J.P. on the 27th August 1972.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: City of Moorabin / This pavilion / was opened by / his worship the mayor / CR. G. L. Basterfield J.P / on 27th August 1972.

City of Caulfield Employment Agreement

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Four page typewritten employment agreement between City of Caulfield and Hallkeeper, Arthur L. Wigley, dated 12th May 1911. Document is initialed at the base of each page and is embossed with the seal of City of Caulfield on the fourth page.

Programme - "CIVIC SERVICE to mark the granting of ARMORIAL ENSIGNS AND CITY BANNER to the CITY OF CAULFIELD"

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Programme, white paper card cover with a representation of the City of Caulfield Coat of Arms, 4 paper pages inside with printed text on the front and back of each page and a colour representation of the City of Caulfield Coat of Arms on Page 3. The pages have been stapled to the cover with two staples. This copy of the Programme has been covered with transparent contact, has a sticker with a Caulfield Library Reference number on the front cover and a Glen Eira Library Service stamp on the inner cover.

Historical information

The Programme was made on the occassion of the Civic Service to mark the granting of Armorial Ensigns and City Banner to the City of Caulfield. The cover states that the Ensigns were presented by J.P. Brooke - Little, Esq., Richmond Herald of Arms. There are three other known copies of the this Programme.

Employee Handbook

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

City of Caulfield Employee Handbook, dated September 1992.

Historical information

This Employee Handbook booklet from September 1992 contains information relevant for employees of the Caulfield City Council at the time. It contains a wide range of information pertaining to council staff, including a section to fill in an employees name, personal details, and emergency contacts, as well as insights into staff expectations, conduct, salaries, council organisation, general welfare and safe work practices.

Photograph

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

B/w photograph of Caulfield City Library in Maple Street, Caulfield - a single storey brick building with signage on the front of the building and rectangular windows below.

Historical information

Copyright for this image is unknown, although likely commissioned by Council. It has been digitised and published here for educational and research purposes. If you believe that you have copyright to this image and would like it removed from the site please contact us through the 'Leave a Comment' tab below.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten in pen and pencil on verso of photograph: "CAULFIELD 7 / 1973"

Community Newsletter - "City of Caulfield Civic Week - Nov. 16-22, 1958"

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

This one page community newsletter (folded in the middle to create 4 pages of text) is titled "City of Caulfield Civic Week - Nov. 16-22, 1958".

Historical information

This community newsletter is titled "City of Caulfield Civic Week - Nov. 16-22, 1958", and describes the idea behind Civic Week by the Mayor as being “to promote a new and more active Community spirit, to create a greater public interest and participation in Community affairs, to emphasis the important part played by local government in the Community and to bring to all Citizens a new awareness of their City as a progressive part of the Metropolis”. It contains a program of functions to be held during Civic Week in 1958, and the middle pages contain the article “Be Careful When Driving or Parking a Car”.

Photograph

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

B/w portrait photograph of Cr John Robinson wearing a white shirt and dark tie.

Historical information

One of 11 similarly presented b/w half portrait photographs showing various councillors within Glen Eira City Council. Copyright for this image is unknown, although likely commissioned by Council. It has been digitised and published here for educational and research purposes. If you believe that you have copyright to this image and would like it removed from the site please contact us through the 'Leave a Comment' tab below.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten on verso in blue ink pen: "Cr John Robinson"

Photograph

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Large B/W Photograph of the Town Hall in fair condition mounted on foamcore. The Town Hall Tower has "1857-1957" in lights with fairy lights down the sides.

Historical information

The photograph was taken from the corner of Hawthorn and Glen Eira Roads and clearly shows the original entrance to the building from Hawthorn Road. Copyright for this image is unknown, although likely commissioned by Council. It has been digitised and published here for educational and research purposes. If you believe that you have copyright to this image and would like it removed from the site please contact us through the 'Leave a Comment' tab below.

Programme - "CIVIC SERVICE to mark the granting of ARMORIAL ENSIGNS AND CITY BANNER to the CITY OF CAULFIELD"

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Programme with white cardboard cover with the City of Caulfield Coat of Arms in black and white on the front. Four double sided pages and a colour representation of the City of Caulfield Coat of Arms on Page 3.

Historical information

The Programme was made on the occasion of the Civic Service to mark the granting of Armorial Ensigns and City Banner to the City of Caulfield. The cover states that the Ensigns were presented by J.P. Brooke - Little, Esq., Richmond Herald of Arms. There are three other known copies of the this Programme.

Booklet - "City of Caulfield Provisions Governing Meetings Procedure; By-Law No. 151"

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

"City of Caulfield Provisions Governing Meetings Procedure; By-Law No. 151" stapled orange booklet, with two holes punched on the left hand side, and has the words "CR. G.S. Patience” inscribed in black ink on the cover. The outer back cover has the words “Vern Morgan Print” at the bottom.

Historical information

According to the last page of this booklet, the resolution for passing this by-law was agreed to by Council on the 4th of July 1972, and confirmed on the 1st of August 1972.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscribed with the handwritten words "CR. G.S. Patience' in black ink on the cover.

Oral History - Deirdre Farrell

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Digital recording of an oral history interview taken by Cameron Auty with Deirdre Farrell. Supplementary files include photographs of Deirdre's father Les Campbell, a WWI veteran, Les' service record and a research file created by Deirdre.

Historical information

This interview was recorded in May 2016 as part of the Wounded Soldier exhibition. The Wounded Soldier ran in November 2016, exploring No. 11 Australian General Military Hospital (later Caulfield Hospital) and its impact on Glen Eira's community during and after the First World War. The audio file catalogued here is an edited excerpt from the larger interview, designed for use in the exhibition. Deirdre Farrell trained as a nurse at Caulfield Hospital in the 1960's. Her father Les Campbell was a First World War veteran, and Deirdre grew up on a soldier settlement farm. This interview explores her childhood, her relationship with her father, her experience of repatriation medicine and her memories of Caulfield Hospital.

Significance

This oral history is significant as the firsthand testimony of the child of a First World War veteran and for its recollections of Caulfield Hospital in the 1960's.

Medal

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Round, gold plated medal measuring 50mm in diameter with "The Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria" embossed around edge, an engraved central plate with an embossed representation of a sheep above and cattle below. The engraved side of the medal has "The Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria" around the edge, and the engraved part in the middle reads "CITY of CAULFIELD / HORTICULTURAL DISPLAY / 1981 / 1st Prize". Observe side reads "SPEED THE PLOUGH / RASV / ROYAL SHOW".

Historical information

Established in 1870, the National (renamed the Royal in 1890) Agricultural Society of Victoria, uses 'Speed the Plough' as its motto which is embossed on the medal. The engraved part of this medal reads “City of Caulfield Horticultural Display 1981, 1st Prize".

Photograph

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

B/w portrait photograph of Cr Dorothy Ford with white hair and glasses wearing a printed dress and beads.

Historical information

One of 11 similarly presented b/w half portrait photographs showing various Councillors within Glen Eira City Council. Copyright for this image is unknown, although likely commissioned by Council. It has been digitised and published here for educational and research purposes. If you believe that you have copyright to this image and would like it removed from the site please contact us through the 'Leave a Comment' tab below.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten on verso in blue ink pen: "Cr. Dorothy Ford"

Proclamation - "Proclamation"

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

PROCLAMATION printed in black at top of cream colour paper with text stating the terms of the agreement between the two cities below. Red seal at lower end of paper showing imagery for City of Caulfield coat of arms with surrounding text.

Historical information

Agreement between the City of Ogaki and the City of Caulfield to establish a "Friendly City Relationship effective from 26th January, 1990. The proclamation was signed by the Mayor for the Municipality of Ogaki and the Council of the Municipality of Caulfield.

Inscriptions & Markings

Signed by the Mayor for the Municipality of Ogaki and the Municipality of Caulfield below.

Book - "Moorabin: A Pictorial History 1862 - 1994"

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Hard cover book with a red jacket with the title "Moorabbin: A Pictorial History, 1862 - 1994" printed in brown colour in and oval at the top of a red , hard paper cover book, copy of an image of horse and carts and Gregg's Plough and Harrow Hotel, South Brighton below.

Historical information

Copy of pictorial history book written by John Cribbin with dedication to former Mayor, Cr Noel Erich on inside of cover: "To Cr Noel Elrich, Mayor of the City of Glen Eira from Moorabbin Historical Society and the Glen Eira Volunteers. International Year of Volunteers 2001".

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on inside of cover: "To Cr Noel Elrich, Mayor of the City of Glen Eira from Moorabbin Historical Society and the Glen Eira Volunteers. International Year of Volunteers 2001".

Certificate, commemorative

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Certificate from Buckingham Palace by command of His Majesty The King accompanying a Silver Jubilee medal awarded to Harry, Carl, Hortin, Smith. The first two names on the Certificate are incorrect and read "Charles, Henry, Hortin Smith*, 6 May 1935. The correct name is "Harry, Carl, Hortin, Smith confirmed by Mr Smith's grandson.

Historical information

The medal was awarded to Mr C.H.H. Smith as Mayor of the City of Caulfield, 1934-1935. The Medal, Presentation Box and Certificate from Buckingham Palace are a very important addition to Council’s History and Heritage collection because of their association with a past Mayor of the City of Caulfield. Although a total of 85,234 Jubilee medals were awarded to 'the great and good throughout the Empire' in 1935 to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of King George V, only a handful of these medals survive in major Australian museum collections. The National Museum of Australia holds a similar medal which was awarded to Sir Robert Menzies. The Museum of Victoria also holds a similar medal but neither collection contains a presentation box or certificate from Buckingham Palace. The significance of the donation is greatly enhanced due to its good condition and the fact that it includes all items associated with the presentation the Medal. Most museum collections only include the jubilee medal. Together these unique historical objects tell a complete story of this important event which was cause for great celebration around the world.

Greeting Card

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Greeting card in, flips open, blank inside, with a printed sketch of the Caulfield Town Hall on the front. The card is cream coloured and the sketch is in red. The sketch includes the signature of the artist, "June Evelyn". The Town Hall is viewed looking from Glen Eira Road to the front of the Arts Centre Portico and showing the Caulfield Municipal Offices extension which was opened on 24 February 1991.

Historical information

No date on card. Image includes the Caulfield Municipal Offices extension which was completed on 24 February 1991 therefore, the image must have been created after this date. Considered to be of significance as this is the only copy of this card sighted to date.

Inscriptions & Markings

Printed on back of card in same colour ink as printed sketch on the front of the card are the details of production.

Castor Oil Bottle

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Brown glass bottle with green and white paper label with Sanax branding, and usage directions. Black plastic screw-top lid. Bottle has been decanted. Small cork stopper inside bottle.

Historical information

This Castor Oil Bottle is part of a Sanax First Aid Case which was used at the the former Carnegie Senior Citizens' Centre. The centre was located at 314 Neerim Road, Carnegie. When the Neerim Road facility closed, its activities were moved to the Carnegie Library and Community Centre. For Occupational Health and Safety reasons, Council no longer maintains first aid kits at senior citizens' centres.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Sanax" CASTOR OIL / SOOTHING / APPLICATION / FOR THE EYES / OR AS AN / APERIENT / THE SANAX CO. / 223-225 BAY ROAD / SANDRINGHAM. TEL. 98-1604 / Left side of bottle: Internally -- Adult Dose: as a purgative, 1 to 2 table-spoonfuls. A valuable remedy for inflammation of the bowels, colic, diarrhoea, etc. Right side of bottle: Externally -- For eye burns of eye irritation, drop freely into the eye. A suitable application for caustic burns.

Booklet - "City of Caulfield CENTENARY 1857 - 1957"

Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection, Caulfield

Small commemorative book with cream coloured cover. The words "City of Caulfield" are embossed in brown ink on the top of the cover. The original City of Caulfield Coat of Arms is embossed in brown ink in the centre of the front cover. The words "Centenary 1857 - 1957" are embossed in brown ink at the bottom of the cover. The interior pages are cream coloured and are not numbered. The text and images are in black and white.

Historical information

Commissioned by the Caulfield City Council to mark the occasion of the Centenary of the City of Caulfield, October - 1957.