From
Close

Greensborough Historical Society Victoria

The European settlement of Greensborough was from 1839 onward. The Society's aim is to collect, catalogue and preserve the history and heritage of Greensborough and its environs from the earliest records to the present time. Whilst called Greensborough Historical Society, its coverage is not limited to that area alone and includes Greensborough, Watsonia, Macleod, Montmorency, Briar Hill, Lower Plenty and Bundoora.

Contact Information

location
34 Glenauburn Road Lower Plenty Victoria (map)
phone
+61 9439 5454
Contact

Opening Hours

Each Thursday 10:00am to 3:00pm NOTE: Reopened for 2016 on 14th January 2016. Saturday afternoon once a month. See website for dates.

Entry Fee

No charge; membership fees available on website

Location

34 Glenauburn Road Lower Plenty Victoria

View on Google Maps

The Greensborough Historical Society Inc collection focuses on historical and current information relating to Greensborough and surrounding areas, including the former Shire of Diamond Valley. Information is from mid-1840 to the current time. Items include artifacts, photographs, documents, oral histories, maps, school yearbooks and uniforms, books and collected current newspaperr clippings relevant to the area. There is a large digital collection of photographs.

Significance

The collection has historical significance in that it brings together information relating to the settlement of Greensborough and district from the mid 1840s. The Greensborough Historical Society Inc was formed in 2010 to collect, preserve and catalogue the history and heritage of the area from earliest records.

Cameron Auty 6 January 2015 10:01 AM

Hi Greensborough HS, we've really enjoyed the photos you put up over the holidays. They give a wonderful insight into the history of your region. Keep up the good work. VC Admin.

Trudy 8 July 2015 9:35 AM

I have a vintage glass dish which contains a photo of the old bluestone bridge titled "wading pool Greensborough" I would like to donate to the Greensborough Historical Society. Please call 0414 323 936 to arrange collection. Thank you.

Leave a comment

4084 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (3972) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents (167)
View As Grid List

4084 items

Plate - Franklin-Hunter plate

Greensborough Historical Society,

Octagonal china plate with fluted edge and illustration of mill. Cream glaze with worn gilt around edge, illustration in brown tones.

Historical information

This plate belonged to the Franklin-Hunter family of Grimshaw Street Greensborough. Mr W. J. Franklin took over the news agency from Mr Leggo in 1924. Plates of similar type were advertised in 1903 and 1904 see... Ballarat Star Friday 19 June 1903, page 6 and The Age Saturday 9 April 1904, page 1.

Significance

Plate from early 20th century.

Photograph - Digital image - Janefield Precinct: more pondering - Janefield view

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital colour photograph.

Historical information

More pondering - Janefield view. The remains of this site are between Greensborough and Janefield. A RAAF Hygiene Training Camp was located on the Plenty River, just south of the Janefield community. It was in use from 1944 to 1946. The Camp was constructed from salvaged materials. Instruction included building and maintenance of grease traps, latrines, elementary plumbing and carpentry.

Significance

Early remains of a WW2 training camp

Photograph - Watsonia High School 1965 Form 1E

Greensborough Historical Society,

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1965 Form 1E

Historical information

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1965 Form 1E

Photograph - Digital image - Railway construction 1902

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph.

Historical information

Photograph of workmen at the Silver Street cutting along the Greensborough to Eltham rail line, 1902.

Folder - A.K. (Gus) Lines - A Collection of Articles

Greensborough Historical Society,

Folder containing articles on A.K. Lines

Historical information

Details of some aspects of A K (Gus) Lines' life. Includes article by Eric Poulter, photograph of Albert and Ivy Lines as children (c1906), an obituary for Mr Lines, 2 articles from Australian Home Beautiful (1940 and 1943) discussing his work as an architect, and a newspaper article (c1940) of Mr Lines as Mayor of Heidelberg and his sister Ivy as Mayoress.

Significance

A K Lines was a local Heidelberg councillor & Mayor and prominent resident of Greensborough.

Inscriptions & Markings

Nil

Photograph - Digital image - Grave of John Scotland, Mary Colquhoun, Catherine Sievwright and Jessie Scotland, Greensborough Cemetery [damaged]

Greensborough Historical Society,

Links: 01925.01926.01955 Digital copy of colour photograph of grave/headstone [damaged]

Historical information

Grave of John Scotland (died 21/11/1888), Mary Colquhoun (died 15/02/1902), Catherine Sievwright (died 10/01/1910) and Jessie Scotland (died 21/07/1924) in Plot# M8/M9 Greensborough Cemetery. Photograph shows this monument after vandals toppled it.

Significance

Greensborough Cemetery was created when land was given for the cemetery by Mr William Poulter, a local settler, about 1864. The cemetery holds the graves of many early settlers in the district.

Newsletter - Centricity. No 7. Newsletter of the Diamond Valley Learning Centre.

Greensborough Historical Society,

5 pages of text.

Historical information

Newsletter of the Diamond Valley Learning Centre in its early days. Contains news and stories written by students at the Centre.

Significance

A significant piece of the history of DVLC, which celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2013.

Inscriptions & Markings

Name of owner written on first page.

Photograph - Digital image - House among the trees, Greensborough

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour photograph

Historical information

A patch of open land in Greensborough circa 1990

Photograph - Watsonia High School 1983 Year 10A

Greensborough Historical Society,

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1983 Year 10A

Historical information

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1983 Year 10A

Photograph - Digital image - Development of pig farm to residential blocks, 1.

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour photograph

Historical information

A view of the redevelopment of the pig farm in Weidlich Road Greensborough, owned by Werner Hanusch. The land was used as a pig farm and quarry from 1954 and this photo shows early stages of the land being subdivided into the Evelyn Way estate. This project of fifty, one double storey, dwellings was commenced on 2/8/2009 and completed on 6/2/2011.

Significance

An example of the changing land use in Greensborough, from farming to residential.

Receipt - St Katherine's Church Cemetery.

Greensborough Historical Society,

Receipt for purchase of grave.

Historical information

Receipt for purchase of grave at St Katherine's Church Cemetery by Hazel Black in 1967/

Inscriptions & Markings

Name of purchaser written in black ink.

Newspaper Clipping - Family histories document tales of epic adventure

Greensborough Historical Society,

News clipping, black text, colour image.

Historical information

Diamond Valley Library displayed stories and memorabilia from migrant families in the area.

Photograph - Digital image - Chapel interior, Loyola College 2012.

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour photograph.

Historical information

Chapel interior and plaque, Loyola College 2012. Inscription on plaque: "This Chapel was dedicated on Wednesday 1st August 1934 by Most Reverend Bishop McCarthy DD, Bishop of Sandhurst (Bendigo) for the House of Studies, Novitiate and Retreat Centre of the Society of Jesus (1934-1974) and after sale to the State Government was deconsecrated. It was returned to the catholic community in 2002." Part of a collection of photographs of Loyola College, Grimshaw Street Watsonia, established 1980 on the site of the Loyola Seminary. The College purchased the original building in 2002. These photographs of the original building and grounds were taken by GHS member Jazz Burge in June 2012.

Book - Beautiful Banyule: by Carol Toomey

Greensborough Historical Society,

104 pages, colour illustrations.Soft cover with treed skyline on front cover. 2 copies.

Historical information

A record of reserves and their features in the City of Banyule 1999. Full title: Beautiful Banyule: a register of out city's natural assets.

Significance

A register of Banyule's natural assets

Inscriptions & Markings

Library labels.

Photograph - Digital image - Grimshaw Street development 3

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour photograph

Historical information

Property development in Grimshaw Street Greensborough. This building houses the Centrelink office.

Photograph - Watsonia High School 1966 Form 4A

Greensborough Historical Society,

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1966 Form 4A

Historical information

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1966 Form 4A

Photograph - Digital image - Grave of Isobel J Clements, St Helena Cemetery

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour photograph

Historical information

The Grave of Isobel Joyce Clements (nee McLennan) (died 13/01/1969) St Helena Cemetery.

Significance

St Helena Cemetery was originally the burial place of the Beale family and friends. The first burials took place in the 1850s. There are now over 200 burials.

Photograph - Watsonia High School 1982 Year 10E

Greensborough Historical Society,

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1982 Year 10E

Historical information

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1982 Year 10E

Article - Greensborough State School and Mr Amiet

Greensborough Historical Society,

Handwritten article (one page) and transcript.

Historical information

A short history of Mr Louis Amiet's time as headmaster at Greensborough State School (1896-1916) and his close friendships with his students. Unfortunately the author is not identified.

Photograph - Digital image - Loyola [rear of main building] 1934.

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph.

Historical information

Part of a collection of photographs of the Jesuit Seminary in Grimshaw Street Watsonia. Opened in 1934, this was a house of formation and study for the Society of Jesus. Loyola College (established 1980), now occupies the site and purchased the original building in 2002.

Photograph - Digital image - Paul Hutchinson as cyclist

Greensborough Historical Society,

Links: 00778:01066:01067:01068:01069:02521 Digital copy of black and white photo

Historical information

Photograph of Paul Hutchinson as cyclist, he is the brother of Bill Hutchinson (and other photos).

Book - Celebrating God's love together / compiled by Bryan Henderson.

Greensborough Historical Society,

257 p., illus. Paperback. 2 copies.

Historical information

Contains "This is your life" and articles from "Church Life" 1985-2013. In 1985 Glyn Norris, a member of the congregation began interviewing church members and publishing them in a publication titled "Church Life". These stories were compiled by Bryan Henderson into this book. The Living Faith Church is an amalgamation of the Greensborough Methodist Church and St David's Presbyterian Church. This became the United Church, then part of the Uniting Church in Australia. The Greensborough Regional Church of Christ joined in 2006 to form the Living Faith Church. The stories of many Greensborough families are included in this book.

Inscriptions & Markings

On title page: "Presented to Greensborough Historical Society by Bryan Henderson".

Newspaper clipping - Steeped in History

Greensborough Historical Society,

Links: 00305:00476 A4 photocopy of a newsapaper article on Rev Jock Ryan and St Katherine's Anglican Church in St Helena.

Historical information

Relates the history of St Katherine's church and the Beale family of St Helena..

Significance

The Beale's were amongst the earliest pioneers in the Greensborough area.

Inscriptions & Markings

Date written in biro, top right hand corner. "13/5/98"

Photograph - Digital image - Watermarc under construction: Interior, worksite with skip.

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour photograph.

Historical information

Interior of Watermarc, worksite with skip. The redevelopment of the Greensborough Pool into the Watermarc aquatic centre is documented in this collection of photographs from the collection of Rosie Bray.

Significance

These photographs taken on a ‘Community Consultative Committee’ walkthrough prior to completion of Watermarc, May 18 2012.

Photograph - Digital image - Loyola Seminary 5 [From the Front Gates] 1934

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph.

Historical information

Part of a collection of photographs of the Jesuit Seminary in Grimshaw Street Watsonia. Opened in 1934, this was a house of formation and study for the Society of Jesus. Loyola College (established 1980), now occupies the site and purchased the original building in 2002.

Newsletter - Ignatian: the weekly news bulletin of Loyola College. Number 1180, 8th November 2007.

Greensborough Historical Society,

20 pages, typed and photocopied.

Historical information

This dition of the Loyola newsletter "Ignatian" delas with information about the college. The front page story is about the retiring Principal of Loyola college John Kennedy.

Significance

Mr Kennedy was Principal of Loyola from 1979 to 2008.

Brochure - Greensborough 25 Scotland Avenue

Greensborough Historical Society,

Coloured auction brochure for 25 Scotland Avenue Greensborough

Historical information

Auction by Darren Jones real estate agent of 25 Scotland Avenue Greensborough, built circa 1860, previously the home of the Scotland family.

Newsletter - Kangaroo Ground Chronicle

Greensborough Historical Society,

14 p. Newsletter Vol. 4, No. 3, Winter 1998; with brochure 2 p. about Andrew Ross Museum

Historical information

A single edition (Winter 1998) of the Newsletter of the Andrew Ross Museum in Kangaroo Ground.

Newspaper clipping - Can you name mystery pupils?

Greensborough Historical Society,

Photocopy of newspaper . Text and photograph of Greensborough State School class of 1935.

Historical information

This is a class photograph of children from Greensborough State School in 1935. Some children have been identified and the article asks for help from readers to identify the remainder. Published by Leader newspapers in a feature to celebrate the "100 years of News" August 1997.

Significance

Memories of Greensborough residents.

Book - Diamond Valley Sketchbook

Greensborough Historical Society,

Links: 00644:02739 63p., illus., map as endpapers, dustcover.

Historical information

Contains drawings by Graham Hawley and text by Brian McKinley. Shows landmarks arounf the Diamond Valley.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Happy birthday Kathryn May 1976"

School Photograph (copy) - Bundoora Primary School 1969 Prep.

Greensborough Historical Society,

Copy of black and white group photograph.

Historical information

Class photograph from Bundoora State School. Student names are not identified.

Inscriptions & Markings

Class name marked on photograph.

School Photograph (digital image) - Greensborough State School 1966 Grade 3B

Greensborough Historical Society,

Black and white photograph of school class

Historical information

Class photograph from Greensborough State School, 1966 Grade 3B

Photograph - Digital image - Plant stall ladies at the Old English Fair 1935; All Saints Anglican Church

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph

Historical information

Plant stall ladies, All Saints Anglican Church "Old English Fair" 1935. From left Jean Luxford, Doreen Olley, Margaret Cordner, Mrs Harry Ryan, Miss Cox - known as 'Queenie'.

Booklet - Banyule Volunteer Awards 2013

Greensborough Historical Society,

40 pages, colour illus.

Historical information

This volume lists the nominees for the 2013 Banyule Volunteer Awards. Includes information on the volunteers' work in the community. Other award nominees covered include Young Volunteer, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Volunteer, Multicultural Community Volunteer, Community Volunteer, Good Neighbour and Citizen of the Year.

Newspaper clipping - Trip down memory lane for city staff

Greensborough Historical Society,

News clipping, black text, colour image.

Historical information

A reunion of former City of Heidelberg staff will mark 40 years since the City's merger with Shires of Eltham and Diamond Vally to create Banyule.

Inscriptions & Markings

Heidelberg Leader and date written on page.

Photograph - Digital image - Latoof Main Street Greensborough

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph.

Historical information

Workers at Latoof Clothing Factory, Main Street, Greensborough, which later moved to Lambourn Road Watsonia. (Left to right) Unknown, Peggy Barnett, Audrey Blackbourn, unknown. Photographs from the collection of Peter Blackbourn, a descendant of the Chapman Stock family. Annotations to photos by Peter Blackbourn.

Booklet - The History of The Centre Ivanhoe

Greensborough Historical Society,

12 pages, illus. (some col.).

Historical information

Gives the history of The Centre Ivanhoe from its beginnings as Heidelberg Town Hall and municipal offices in the 1930s. Text and photos by Robin Grow.

Significance

The Centre is an example of Art Deco architecture and has retained these features. The Banyule Council is committed to maintaining this building in its present form.

Photograph - Digital image - BlackJack: Peter and Paul, Greensborough 1956 .

Greensborough Historical Society,

Links: 02062.02063.02064.02065.02066.02067.02069.02071.02072.02073.02074.02076.02084.02085.02086.02087 Digital copy of colour photograph.

Historical information

Peter and Paul Robinson, 1956, at BlackJack, the home of the Robinson family to late 1956. The BlackJack property, house and acres of fruit orchards ran down to the Plenty River off Hume Street Greensborough. The photographs were taken as slides by Frank Robinson and digitised by his son James in 2015.

Photograph - Digital image - Trevor, Wyn, Elinor and Faye

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph.

Historical information

Wyn Partington (nee Leed) with her older children, Trevor, Elinor and Faye.

Photograph - Watsonia High School 1978 Year 2E

Greensborough Historical Society,

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1978 Year 2E

Historical information

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1978 Year 2E

Photograph - Digital image - Prudence Partington with Doris and Ivy

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white studio photograph.

Historical information

Prudence Partington with nieces Ivy (born 1893) and Doris (born 1895), daughters of Charles Partington junior and Emma Britnell.

Significance

A pioneer Greensborough family.

Photograph - Digital image - Alwyn and tennis court 2014

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour photograph.

Historical information

In about 1945, Alan and Wyn Partington built a house (Alwyn) on 12 acres (now Whatmough Park) but this land was acquired by the Council for parkland and sports ovals.

Photograph - Digital image - Grave of Frederick and Elizabeth Ely , Greensborough Cemetery

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour photograph of grave/headstone.

Historical information

Grave of Frederick Ely (died 15/07/1915) and Elizabeth Ely (died 20/06/1916) in Plot# C11 Greensborough Cemetery.

Significance

Greensborough Cemetery was created when land was given for the cemetery by Mr William Poulter, a local settler, about 1864. The cemetery holds the graves of many of the early settlers in the district. The cemetery holds approximately 250 grave sites with 350 people buried there

Photograph - Digital image - Watermarc under construction: Sections of waterslide.

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour photograph.

Historical information

Sections of Waterslide. The redevelopment of the Greensborough Pool into the Watermarc aquatic centre is documented in this collection of photographs from the collection of Rosie Bray. These photographs taken on a ‘Community Consultative Committee’ walkthrough prior to completion of Watermarc, May 18 2012.

Significance

These photographs taken on a ‘Community Consultative Committee’ walkthrough prior to completion of Watermarc, May 18 2012.

Photograph - Digital image - Ellis Cottage, May 2016: Steps to front

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital colour photograph

Historical information

In May 2015, the Nillumbik Historical Society invited Greensborough Historical Society to visit its historical centre at Ellis Cottage in Diamond Creek. Ellis Cottage was built in 1865 and is made of local uncut stone. The cottage is a typical farmers residence of this period. The stone construction is unique in this district as most construction is weatherboard. This photo shows steps to front door of Ellis Cottage.

Book - Eureka reminiscences / Ballarat Heritage Services

Greensborough Historical Society,

84p., illus.

Historical information

Stories from the Eureka Stockade

Newspaper clipping - School maintains close ties with RSL.

Greensborough Historical Society,

A black and white photocopy of a newspaper article featuring a large photograph of some ADF personel with school children.

Historical information

Commemorates a visit to to Watsonia Primary school on 15th August 1995 by members of Watsonia RSL and members of the Army School of Music for a wreath laying ceremony.

Significance

The cereomony was a part of the Australia Remembers celebrations commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the end of World War II.

Inscriptions & Markings

Some blue biro words at the bottom and the word "Watsonia" in pencil at the top right corner.

Photograph - Digital image - Briar Hill Hardware: exteriors2

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour photograph

Historical information

Briar Hill Timber and Hardware was situated in Sherbourne Road Briar Hill. These photographs were taken by Frank Solomon shortly before the business closed.

Significance

This business and its predecessor Briar Hill Timber was a landmark in the area.

Folder - Lions Club of Greensborough. Public Relations Committee scrap book

Greensborough Historical Society,

Spiral bound folder with newspaper articles concerning the Lions Club of Greensborough during the period 1st July 1969 to 30th June 1970.

Historical information

This contains newspaper cuttings that record the events of the period 1969 to 1970. Many articles are about a Charity Queen Quest being sponsored by the Lions club and some relate to toys being donated to South Vietnamese children, as this was during the Vietnam war.

Significance

Lists local activities of the Lions club to assist with community projects.

Inscriptions & Markings

Numerous biro commentaries through out. On front cover: "Started by PR Committee H. Fraser, N. Way and K. Gregson. June July 1969 - June 30 1970."

School Photograph (digital image) - Greensborough State School 1978 Grade 4C.

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour group photograph.

Historical information

Class photograph from Greensborough Primary School No.2062. Student names are not identified.

Inscriptions & Markings

Class name marked on photograph.