Stories Organisations Projects Login

Greensborough Historical Society Victoria

The European settlement of Greensborough was from 1839 onward. The Society's aim is to collect, catalogue and preserve the history and heritage of Greensborough and its environs from the earliest records to the present time. Whilst called Greensborough Historical Society, its coverage is not limited to that area alone and includes Greensborough, Watsonia, Macleod, Montmorency, Briar Hill, Lower Plenty and Bundoora.

Contact Information

location
34 Glenauburn Road Lower Plenty Victoria (map)
phone
+61 9439 5454
Contact

Opening Hours

Each Thursday 10:00am to 3:00pm NOTE: Reopened for 2016 on 14th January 2016. Saturday afternoon once a month. See website for dates.

Entry Fee

No charge; membership fees available on website

Location

34 Glenauburn Road Lower Plenty Victoria

View on Google Maps

The Greensborough Historical Society Inc collection focuses on historical and current information relating to Greensborough and surrounding areas, including the former Shire of Diamond Valley. Information is from mid-1840 to the current time. Items include artifacts, photographs, documents, oral histories, maps, school yearbooks and uniforms, books and collected current newspaperr clippings relevant to the area. There is a large digital collection of photographs.

Significance

The collection has historical significance in that it brings together information relating to the settlement of Greensborough and district from the mid 1840s. The Greensborough Historical Society Inc was formed in 2010 to collect, preserve and catalogue the history and heritage of the area from earliest records.

Cameron Auty 6 January 2015 10:01 AM

Hi Greensborough HS, we've really enjoyed the photos you put up over the holidays. They give a wonderful insight into the history of your region. Keep up the good work. VC Admin.

Trudy 8 July 2015 9:35 AM

I have a vintage glass dish which contains a photo of the old bluestone bridge titled "wading pool Greensborough" I would like to donate to the Greensborough Historical Society. Please call 0414 323 936 to arrange collection. Thank you.

Leave a comment

4921 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (4828) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents (385)
View As Grid List

4921 items

Photograph - Montmorency Secondary College Mo8068 1976 Form 1B

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour school photograph.

Historical information

A colour photograph of Montmorency High School 1976, Form 1B

Significance

Montmorency High School was opened in 1969 and is now known as Montmorency Secondary College.

Newspaper Clipping - Workers gear up for ride

Greensborough Historical Society,

News clipping, black text and colour image.

Historical information

Banyule Council staff participated in the Around the Bay fundraiser.

Documents - 25th Anniversary 1986-7. [Watsonia High School]

Greensborough Historical Society,

A collection of planning documents and advertising materials, in manila foolscap folder. Typed and handwritten.

Historical information

1987 marked the 25th anniversary of the opening of Watsonia High School. Mrs Margaret Willimott was appointed chair of the committee organising the celebrations. These are her personal notes on the planning

Significance

Personal documents tend not to survive over time. These documents record both activities and people involved.

Inscriptions & Markings

In black felt pen on front cover “25th Anniversary 1986-7”

Oral History - Nancy Fyfe Remembers, by Rosie Bray

Greensborough Historical Society,

2 pages, text and colour photographs.

Historical information

Nancy Fyfe came to Watsonia in 1959. She shares her memories with Rosie Bray,

Photograph - Digital image - Grave of Herbert V. Jennings and Ethel H. Jennings, Greensborough Cemetery

Greensborough Historical Society,

Links: 01868.01909.01974 Digital copy of colour photograph of grave/headstone.

Historical information

Grave of Herbert V. Jennings (died 1931) and Ethel H. Jennings (died1953) in Plot# E2 Greensborough Cemetery. Photograph taken by Noel Withers 30/07/2009.

Significance

Greensborough Cemetery was created when land was given for the cemetery by Mr William Poulter, a local settler, about 1864. The cemetery holds the graves of many of the early settlers in the district. The cemetery holds approximately 250 grave sites with 350 people buried there.

Newspaper Clipping - Loyola College farewells a friend

Greensborough Historical Society,

News clipping, black text, colour image.

Historical information

This article is a tribute to Loyola College Deputy Principal Tony Chirico who died in August 2015.

Photograph - Digital image - Janefield Precinct: Looking down toward Kookaburra Bend 1.

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital colour photograph.

Historical information

Looking down toward Kookaburra Bend 1. The remains of this site are between Greensborough and Janefield. A RAAF Hygiene Training Camp was located on the Plenty River, just south of the Janefield community. It was in use from 1944 to 1946. The Camp was constructed from salvaged materials. Instruction included building and maintenance of grease traps, latrines, elementary plumbing and carpentry.

Significance

Early remains of a WW2 training camp

School Photograph (digital image) - Watsonia Heights Primary School WH4935 1976 Grade 1C

Greensborough Historical Society,

A photograph of Watsonia Heights Primary School 1976, Grade 1C

Historical information

A photograph of Watsonia Heights Primary School 1976, Grade 1C

Photograph - Watsonia High School WaHIGH 1976 Form 6A

Greensborough Historical Society,

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1976 Form 6A

Historical information

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1976 Form 6A

Photograph - Watsonia High School WaHIGH 1983 Year 10A

Greensborough Historical Society,

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1983 Year 10A

Historical information

A photograph of Watsonia High School 1983 Year 10A

Photograph - Digital image - Loyola Seminary 6 [Seminarians] 1934

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph.

Historical information

Part of a collection of photographs of the Jesuit Seminary in Grimshaw Street Watsonia. Opened in 1934, this was a house of formation and study for the Society of Jesus. Loyola College (established 1980), now occupies the site and purchased the original building in 2002.

Photograph - Digital image - Lobb's Tea Rooms [Greensborough]

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour photograph.

Historical information

This photograph of the former Lobb's Tea Rooms was taken in 2013 to show changes over 40 years, based on Ron Reynold’s sketches in the 1973 publication “Greensborough and Greenhills” published by Cypress Books. The building is now part of the Diamond Valley Learning Centre.

Photograph - Digital Image - Alan Partington 1933

Greensborough Historical Society,

Links: 01203.01525 Digital copy of black and white photograph

Historical information

Photograph of Alan Partington taken in 1933.

Genealogical Document - Fraser family history

Greensborough Historical Society,

8 p. typescript

Newspaper clipping - Big rises for land

Greensborough Historical Society,

News clipping, black and red text.

Historical information

Report on rises in the property market from 2012-2013 in the Diamond Valley area.

Magazine - Banyule Banner September/October 2017

Greensborough Historical Society,

20 pages (approx.), colour illustrations.

Historical information

The Banyule Banner is published bi-monthly by Banyule City Council to advertise upcoming events in the City of Banyule and to report on past events. This edition covers Banyule Seniors Festival, Children's Week and Arts information.

Significance

A record of events within the City of Banyule.

Manuscript - Late Thoughts! by June Roberts.

Greensborough Historical Society,

A 3 page typed manuscript and a hand drawn plan of Greensborough shopping area based on the document.

Historical information

This was prepared by June Roberts with assistance from Grace Cavill. Written in 1978 it includes details of Greensborough's Main Street from circa 1958-1978.

Significance

Describes the locations of the Main Street traders in the 1950s. Also mentions the efforts needed to replace the Plenty River footbridge after it was washed away in a flood.

Inscriptions & Markings

Sept 78 in blue biro on front page.

Newspaper Clipping - North East Link considered

Greensborough Historical Society,

News clipping, black text.

Historical information

The proposed North East Link will connect the Western Ring Road and the Eastern Freeway.

Photograph - Digital image - Jean Franklin [as a child]

Greensborough Historical Society,

Links: 01055.02475.02476.02477.02478.02480.02481.02484 Digital copy of black and white photograph.

Historical information

Photograph of Jean Franklin junior as a child.

Photograph - Digital image - Watsonia Garage B

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph.

Historical information

Photograph of Watsonia Garage and corner shop (cash grocer), early 20th century. Shows advertising on side of shop.

Painting - Digital image - Barn at Willis Vale

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of painting.

Historical information

Painting of a barn at Willis Vale. 'Willis Vale' was owned and farmed by the Partington family from the 1870s. Willis Vale was destroyed by fire in the 1960s. Gary Partington thought the barn was probably associated with the bull yard. (Note: Only some abandoned stumps existed when Gary was very young in the mid to late 1940s)

Photograph - Digital image - Marsh house 1973

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph.

Historical information

Richard Marsh's family home on the corner of Hailes and Church Street Greensborough, taken in 1973. (Copy made 31/10/2011)

Significance

This is a significant house in Greensborough, still standing today.

Photograph - Digital image - Stock Finn Family 1908

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white studio photograph.

Historical information

Stock Finn Family 1908. (left to right) Jane Stock, William Thomas Finn, Mary Stock. Photographs from the collection of Peter Blackbourn, a descendant of the Chapman Stock family. Annotations to photos by Peter Blackbourn.

Newspaper Clipping - Notorious intersection upgrade lights up.

Greensborough Historical Society,

News clipping, black text, colour image.

Historical information

A $1.5 million upgrade to the intersection at Para and Rattray Roads Montmorency includes traffic lights.

Newspaper Clipping - Number plate scan nabs 50

Greensborough Historical Society,

News article 1 page, black text.

Historical information

Greensborough highway patrol officers unleashed their latest weapon against road offenders last week, nabbing dozens of drivers in a few days.

Planning Document - Subdivision Plan #1041. Elder Street Greensborough .

Greensborough Historical Society,

Plan (2 sheets) mounted on heavy card.

Historical information

Plan of Consolidation of Allotments 3 and 4 Brixton Avenue and Plan of Subdivision for Elder Street.

Significance

An example of hard copy subdivision plans from the Greensborough area. Mainly from the Shire of Diamond Valley era (1964-1994).

Inscriptions & Markings

Stamped and handwritten Council permissions, dates and other details.

Photograph - Digital image - Egyptian with a military device

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph.

Historical information

This photograph shows a local with a military device.

Inscriptions & Markings

No caption on this photo.

Photograph - Digital image - Grave of Leslie and Dorothy Wilson, St Helena Cemetery

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour photograph (grave)

Historical information

The Grave of Leslie Anzac Wilson (died 14/08/1996) and Dorothy May Wilson (died 15/06/2004), St Helena Cemetery.

Significance

St Helena Cemetery was originally the burial place of the Beale family and friends. The first burials took place in the 1850s. There are now over 200 burials.

Photograph - Digital image - Fred Kroschel [in uniform]

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white studio photograph.

Historical information

Frederick Kroschel of Natimuk died of wounds in France 27 September 1917.

Significance

Connection to the Fort family. Photograph and memorabilia with Faye Fort.

Photograph - Digital image - Grave of Elizabeth Aldridge Greensborough Cemetery

Greensborough Historical Society,

Links: 01854.01899.01964.01965 Digital copy of colour photograph of grave/headstone.

Historical information

Grave of Elizabeth Aldridge (died 30/01/1864). daughter of Samuel Poulter and Susan Haylock. Plot# C10 Greensborough Cemetery.

Significance

Greensborough Cemetery was created when land was given for the cemetery by Mr William Poulter, a local settler, about 1864. The cemetery holds the graves of many early settlers in the district.

Photograph - Digital image - Main Street Greensborough (Rose Series)

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white postcard.

Historical information

"Rose Series" postcard no P10661 Main Street Greensborough.

Document collection - Copies of Poulter family documents

Greensborough Historical Society,

Copies of documents, land titles and birth, death and marriage certificates.

Historical information

Records some land ownership, birth, deaths and marriages of the Poulter family of Greensborough. Dates from 1880s.

Inscriptions & Markings

Mainly handwritten records.

Article - An early history of Plenty Valley FM Radio 1987-1998.

Greensborough Historical Society,

3 pages text and one photo.

Historical information

Plenty Valley FM made its first test broadcast in July 1988, then known as Outer North Eastern Community Radio. After obtaining its broadcasting licence, regular broadcasts commenced in December 1990. The author of this article, Ian Lamont, was first Station President (1987-91) and first Station Manager (1993-98).

Article - Frederick George Starling

Greensborough Historical Society,

2 pages, text and colour images.

Historical information

A short article about Frederick George Starling and his service in World War 1. Fred Starling was born in Diamond Creek. .

Newspaper clipping - Valley honours pioneer.

Greensborough Historical Society,

A brief newspaper article featuring a colour photograph.

Historical information

The article is about Selina Sutherland being added to the Victorian Honour Roll of Women.

Significance

Selina Sutherland founded the Sutherland Homes for Orphaned and Neglected Children in 1908. However, she had been active in this work since 1888 and in 1894 had opened the Victorian Neglected Childrens' Aid Society.

Inscriptions & Markings

Nil

Article - Naming of Barclay Park

Greensborough Historical Society,

Links: 02058.02059.02060.02061.02377.02447 2p., col. photograph.

Historical information

Formerly McKenzie Park Greensborough; renamed Barclay Park 7 November 2015. Named for the Barclay family who farmed in this area.

Photograph (digital image) - Greensborough Hockey Club Junior Team (2)

Greensborough Historical Society,

Colour photograph of Greensborough Hockey club junior team.

Historical information

Greensborough Hockey club junior team.

Photograph - Digital Image - Whatmough descendants, GHS Meeting June 2017

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour group photograph

Historical information

A group photograph taken at the June 24 2017 meeting of Greensborough Historical Society. Included are descendants of Robert Whatmough present at the meeting.

Newspaper - 150 Years of Settlement in Victoria [The Age, Friday 16 November 1984. Victoria 1834-1984]

Greensborough Historical Society,

Newspaper, 8 pages, text and graphics (some col.).

Historical information

A commemorative edition of The Melbourne Age to celebrate 150 years of settlement in the Colony of Victoria. Includes historical photographs and articles.

Photograph - Digital image - Grimshaw Street Estate Agents

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour photograph

Historical information

View of real estate precinct, Grimshaw Street Greensborough. Buckingham Real Estate 104 Grimshaw Street.

Photograph - Digital image - Marshall family [male relatives]

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph.

Historical information

This photograph shows one of the Marshall relatives, unidentified male, early 1930s

Inscriptions & Markings

Caption illegible..

Book - Born in a barn by Lindsay Mann.

Greensborough Historical Society,

Paperback book, 58 p., illus. Cover depicts a sketch of 'Maygars's barn' by Denise Klinger.

Historical information

This is the story of Greensborough Uniting Church's first 150 years 1850-2000. The church's first services were held in Maygar's barn and later moved to the Methodist Church in Main Street. In the 1960s the Methodist and Presbyterian churches were merged to form the Uniting Church. This is the history of the early churches and the Uniting Church in the late 20th century.

Significance

This is a detailed history of these churches in Greensborough and is illustrated with many old photos of historical interest.

Photograph - Digital image - Main Road Lower Plenty 1928

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph.

Historical information

122 Main Road Lower Plenty, built by Stan Barnett 1928. Photographs from the collection of Peter Blackbourn, a descendant of the Chapman Stock family. Annotations to photos by Peter Blackbourn.

Article - Thomas Coventry

Greensborough Historical Society,

1 Page, text and colour images.

Historical information

A short article about Thomas Coventry and his service in World War 1. At the time of Thomas Coventry's enlistment, he was living at Diamond Creek. He and his brothers are commemorated on the Greensborough State School Honor Board.

Photograph - Digital image - Janefield Precinct: hawthorn trees

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital colour photograph.

Historical information

Janefield Precinct: hawthorn trees. The remains of this site are between Greensborough and Janefield. A RAAF Hygiene Training Camp was located on the Plenty River, just south of the Janefield community. It was in use from 1944 to 1946. The Camp was constructed from salvaged materials. Instruction included building and maintenance of grease traps, latrines, elementary plumbing and carpentry.

Significance

Early remains of a WW2 training camp

Photograph - Digital image - Two girls

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white studio photograph.

Historical information

Studio photograph of two young girls, identity unknown. [Maybe Dorris and Myrtle McLaughlin]

Compact disc - Photographs by Jasmin Burge

Greensborough Historical Society,

1 compact disk in plastic case. Contains photographs.

Historical information

Contains a collection of photographs by Jasmin Burge. Mainly focused on Greensborough area, there are also photographs of Loyola College, Lower Plenty Hotel, Hurstbridge and some Greensborough Historical Society activities.

Significance

A collection of 21st century photographs of the Greensborough area.

Inscriptions & Markings

In black pen on cd: "LP Hist walk, Hurstbridge graves, GB and Greenhills, Lower Plenty hotel portraits, GB Resource Centre."

Photograph - Digital image - Grave of John James, James Johnson, Lily Johnson and Hilda Johnson, St Helena Cemetery

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of colour photograph (grave)

Historical information

The Grave of John Hall James (died 20/01/1923) James Gordon Johnson (died 24/05/1961), Lily Pearl Johnson (nee James) (died 16/02/1976), and Hilda Johnson (died 07/07/1942), St Helena Cemetery.

Significance

St Helena Cemetery was originally the burial place of the Beale family and friends. The first burials took place in the 1850s. There are now over 200 burials.

Photograph - Digital image - Elizabeth Street and Postcard to Wallace Luxford working in mattress factory

Greensborough Historical Society,

Digital copy of black and white photograph.

Historical information

Postcard sent to Luxford mattress factory requesting work to be completed. The E.H. Luxford factory was in Napier Street Fitzroy.

Photograph - Digital image - Plenty River in flood 1972, view at the Rand Street Crossing

Greensborough Historical Society,

Links: 01473.01474.01746.01747.01748.01749.01751.02246 Digital copy of black and white photograph.

Historical information

Plenty River in flood at the Rand Street Crossing. There were two major floods in Greensborough at the time, 1972 and 1974. Poulter Reserve was created after the 1972 flood and had to be re-established following the 1974 flood.