Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Kew Historical Society Inc Kew, Victoria

Founded in 1958, the Kew Historical Society is one of the oldest suburban historical societies in Melbourne. The Society was formed to assist in the preparations for Kew’s 100th Anniversary in 1960. Today, the Society continues to work with local government and other organisations within Kew to stimulate interest in our history and heritage. It publishes, in print and online, information and resources about Kew’s history, as well as organising events relevant to our heritage. The Society cooperates with other historical societies and groups across the City of Boroondara through the Boroondara Historical Societies Association.

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 175 Kew Victoria 3101

Contact

Opening Hours

Fridays & Saturdays 11.00am to 1.00pm. Closed in January.

Entry Fee

Free entry

Location

Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria

The Kew Historical Society was founded in 1958, and the collection predates and postdates that year. The collection has sometimes grown gradually, or significantly, the latter through key donations (eg The Rogers Collection), or due to events such as the amalgamation of the former City of Kew into the new City of Boroondara in 1994. Many ‘civic’ items were donated before, during or after the amalgamation. These records are digitised by the Kew Historical Society on Victorian Collections for the purposes of education and preservation. If you believe that we have infringed your copyright please contact us and we will remove the material from the site.

Significance

The collection as a whole fulfills the criteria for very strong historical, aesthetic and research significance at a local level. It also has many outstanding associations with state themes, figures and events and quite a few that resonate at a national level. The costume and textiles, map and picture collections each have very strong historical, research and aesthetic significance of their own accord. The degree of their significance is greatly enhanced by all of the comparative criteria: interpretive value, provenance, condition, integrity, rarity and representativeness.

The costume collection has a very high degree of aesthetic significance for its beauty, quality and workmanship. There are some items that are associated with nationally significant designers, or with Kew donors who have made an impact on society at a local and a state level (ie Prue Acton, Jinoel of Melbourne, Oggi Fashion House). The strong degree of provenance and high quality of the design and dressmaking that went into the production of these clothes strengthens the research significance of this sub-collection for those interested in fashion, textiles and dressmaking. This costume collection includes items that date back to the 1850s (patchwork Denbigh quilt) through to the 1980s, and that reflect changing styles, technologies, textiles and production methods.

The picture collection has some items that have high local significance such as the Josiah Barnes photograph ‘Kew proclaimed a city’, which was taken on that day – 10 March 1921, and the ‘Unveiling of the Kew War Memorial’ on August 30 1925 in front of an audience of over 5,000 people and presided over by the Kew Mayor and the Governor of Victoria. Both of these important images also have significance to state and national processes of municipal development and memorializing war. The mayoral portraits (part of the picture collection) have a very high degree of historical and research significance for their associations, enhanced by strong provenance and technical qualities. Eminent photographers took many of the portraits and the subjects are people who have made a significant contribution to the welfare and development of Kew and, in the case of some of the Mayors in this collection, of the state or even the nation. This includes people such as Stanley Argyle (Premier of Victoria 1932-35) and William Kerr (influential businessman and federal government advisor in the early decades of the 20th century). The significance threshold of this sub-collection is therefore likely to be of state significance at the least.

The maps and plans number some 300 or more and include some fascinating and important maps beyond the MMBW sub-collection that, itself, holds some unique items and has been discussed at length in this report. Other much earlier and hand drawn maps such as ‘Back to Kew’ (c.1875) and ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ (undated) are historically fascinating. In the case of ‘Back to Kew’ it is the detail of the built, natural and social landscape of Kew, which was also annotated and added to several times in subsequent decades to show the development of the area. In the case of ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ it is the careful recording of the garden layout and the nature of domesticity in these early days of European settlement that is both fascinating and rare to find in any local history collection. While not all the items are original the map and plan collection has a very high degree of historical and research significance.

Provenance for much of the collection is strong, and therefore supportive of its historical, research and interpretive value. Certainly the interpretive capacity for understanding a detailed and nuanced history of Kew on many levels, as well as touching or reflecting on wider stories on a state or national stage is very high.

Russell, Emma, 'Kew Historical Society Significance Assessment | Collection', History@Work, 2018

Cameron Auty 26 April 2016 9:48 AM

Amazing hat collection, these are a great addition to the site - Site admin.

Leave a comment

2222 items with images

Document - Subscriptions / Kew Philharmonic Society

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A form outlining how subscriptions can be made for the Kew Philharmonic Society. The undated note states that the Society has three concerts per year. It is noted that rehearsals are held in the Kew Music Centre, Beresford Street, Kew. The form includes details of entitlements for ticket holders and annual fees.

Historical information

The Kew Philharmonic Society was founded by Dr. Ehrenfeld, c.1946, who was also the Orchestra's first conductor. He was succeeded by Harold Badger in 1954 following the death of the former. During the 1940s and 1950s, the Orchestra played its concerts in the Kew Recreation Hall in Wellington Street. In 1960, the Orchestra relocated to the new Kew City Hall in Cotham Road (the site of the current Kew Library).

Significance

This item was donated by Mary Tracey, the daughter of Arthur Dear, the official 'Hallkeeper' of the Kew Recreation Centre and later the Kew Civic Hall. The Arthur Dear Collection is a comprehensive collection of theatrical ephemera relating to performances by theatrical and musical organisations from within and outside the former City of Kew from the 1940s to the 1960s.

Hat - Pink Silk, Feathers, Rose & Net / by Stella Long [Melbourne]

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pale pink silk circular hat bordered with darker pink satin, and crowned with pink feathers and a silk rose, all draped with pink net. The hat was retailed by Stella Long, 14 Block Arcade, Melbourne.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label: Original model from Stella Long. 14 Block Arcade Melb. 638507.

Artwork - Southesk / by Joy Stewart, circa 1978

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Watercolour, Pen & Ink on Paper by the artist and local historian Joy Stewart of 'Southesk' (demolished), Cotham Road, Kew.

Historical information

Southesk was demolished in 1960.

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "Southesk." Signed lower right: "JStewart"

Photograph - Interior, D'Estaville, Barry Street, Kew, circa 1965

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Interior, D'Estaville, Barry Street, Kew, the home of the artist Alma Figuerola. This is a newspaper photograph, part of a series by The Age on the artist Alma Figuerola, and is still under copyright. Alma Figuerola was a foundation member of the Kew Historical Society. She died in 1970, so the photograph predates this.

Educational Resource - Cuisenaire

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Cuisenaire rods with booklet and box, wood / metal / paper, made by the Cuisenaire Company, Australia, 1965-1980. This object consists of a sheet metal box, containing 10 compartments, each with a single size of wooden blocks in different colours. The shortest block is 1 cm long, next 2 cm, etc., longest is 10 cm long. It was made in Australia by the Cuisenaire Company of Australia. These wooden number rods were invented by Belgium school teacher Georges Cuisenaire, who wrote a book about them in 1952 (Les Nombres en couleurs).

Hat - Blue Silk & Net

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Half hat made of navy blue cotton, silk and net. The flattened decorative navy silk border is sculpted using folds of silk fabric.

Photograph - Robin Vanser, with Fellow Artists, 1966

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black and white photograph of Robin Kelly as a guest performer with fellow artists including Irene Hewitt, 1966

Historical information

Robin Kelly was born Robin Vandersluys in Mary Street, Kew. As a child, she sang in backyard concerts run with her brother, Leslie. The family moved to Deepdene in 1949 and Robin joined church and school choirs. Later she was to study classical singing with Stella Power, modern singing with Jack White, TV Presentation with Natalie Raine of Crawford Productions and acting/singing with Jessie Matthews. Following her victory in a talent quest at the Orama Ballroom, she was invited to join the Orama Big Band with singers Harry Cox and Arlene Forrest. She also sang with the Kerm Jones Jazz Band at Power House and with Frank Johnson's Jazz Band at Jazz Junction. Robin became resident band vocalist at the historic Federal Hotel in Collins Street with the Rudi Laquer Trio. She also sang at The Savoy Plaza with the George Cadman Trio. A year later she became resident vocalist at the Ress Oriental Hotel with the Lennie Holmes Trio. Later, Robin married pianist Peter Jones, singing under the name 'Robin Vanser' in clubs in Sydney and regional New South Wales. She was booked for a Vietnam War tour and also sang in Tahiti. Returning to Melbourne, her agent booked her to appear in shows in Tasmania including West Point Casino and Melbourne country venues. Another agent, John Bishop, booked her to do floor shows in Melbourne, including Xmas Seasons at the Hampton Hotel where she entertained audiences with her comedy and audience participation routines. In 1971, Robin Kelly retired to run her Robin Hood Antiques business in Canterbury, during which time she was married to tenor Glenn Kelly. Later she joined Sing Australia Camberwell Choir, performing as a soloist at their Melbourne Town Hall Concert.

Significance

The Vandersluys-Kelly Collection of photographs, costumes and musical performance memorabilia was donated to the Kew Historical Society by Robin Denise Kelly in 2018. The collection is an important record of stage and recorded performances in Australia in the second half of the 20th century. This new nationally-focused and artistically significant collection augments and contextualises the local performing arts materials in our collection.

Postcard - A Newhaven Fishwife

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A Newhaven fishwife. Newhaven is in East Sussex, England. Portraits of fishwives were popular subjects for postcards. The postcard was probably purchased by George and Edith Weir on a trip to England and Scotland, circa 1928.

Historical information

Collection of thirty-nine postcards donated by Jillian Rigby which had been owned by her grandparents, George and Edith Weir, who from c.1917 lived at 84 Princess Street, Kew. The mostly 'mint' postcards were purchased in Victoria and while travelling overseas. The sole dated postcard is dated from 1929. The postcards are numbered sequentially from 2017.0058.01-39. The remainder of the collection donated by Jill Rigby which was once owned by the Weirs of Broken Hill and Kew consist of costumes, costume accessories, photographs, and documents.

Significance

The postcards in the Weir collection, especially those purchased on a trip or trips to the mother country, i.e. United Kingdom, represent a representative sample of sites that were considered significant to those Australians undertaking a reverse grand tour by member of the erstwhile colonies. Those postcards which are early views of Melbourne must have been produced commercially for some decades from the early part of the 20th century.

Quilt - Silk Patchwork, Hexagon style, 1850-75

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The quilt is constructed in the popular hexagon pattern of silk off-cuts of an earlier period. Hexagon patchwork quilts were typically constructed of individual hexagons, which were formed using paper or card templates. Where these are visible, it would indicate that writing paper was used to form the templates. The quilt is unlined and has a green silk border, added at a later date. Early 19th Century patchwork quilts tended to use cotton to create the hexagons, whereas silk became the preferred medium mid-century. The quilt has been dated to the middle decades of the 19th century due to the colour range, and the exclusion of black silk hexagons. Most of the silk used in the quilt has a sheen, however there is some use of velvet in one or two larger hexagons. The exposed reverse of the quilt includes a large amount of very fine hand stitching.An unlined quilt was typically used as a summer spread.

Historical information

A silk patchwork quilt in a hexagons pattern originally owned by the Denbigh family of ‘Wimba’. The Denbigh family is recorded as living at ‘Park Villa’ ‘near Kew’ in 1856. John Denbigh was at this stage the superintendent of the local Baptist school. By 1869 they are listed as residing in Cotham Road. John Sharp Denbigh’s death in 1875 resulted in the sale of Wimba.

Significance

This is an important early quilt with outstanding technical workmanship, and is well-provenanced.

Costume - Bodice : Black Silk & Lace, 1880s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black-coloured fitted jacket made of silk and lace with added satin ribbons.

Historical information

Netta Fuller and her husband Alec were long-term residents of Kew. As a boy, Alec had attended East Kew Primary School and was later highly involved in the Kew Presbyterian Church during the 1950s and 60s. Netta's passion was for historic clothing and its exhibition. In 1985, Netta Fuller and Elizabeth Pace launched a parade of garments sponsored by Kew Historical Society at Holy Trinity Church, Kew. The parade was called 'Downunder Dressmakers' and included a collection of over fifty items of clothing dating from 1800 to 1984. The collection included dresses, hats, scarfs, capes, sporting costumes etc. The core of the parade consisted of a collection of 19th century costumes worn by the ancestors of a Miss Gertrude Murray, a resident of Blackburn. In sourcing items for her collections, Netta Fuller collected costumes stored in old trunks and wardrobes, or even purchased from opportunity shops. (During the period in which she collected and exhibited costumes, the latter could often be a reliable source for the purchase of historic and aesthetically significant costumes.) Not satisfied with purchasing authentic costumes of the period, Netta also used these as models for artistic recreations. Following her retirement from both collecting and exhibiting, Netta Fuller donated a number of 19th Century garments to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. A number of garments were parts of costumes such as bodices, while others were complete outfits. Some of the latter exhibit signs of old damage, however very few of the costumes had been modified to enable them to be worn in exhibitions. Provenance, apart from that the costumes were donated by Netta Fuller after 1985 is limited to donor information, although some of her donations may have originally been part of the collection owned by the Murray family. While the costumes are old and therefore historic, provenance is less important than the representativeness and/or rarity of the costumes. Similarly, the costumes need to be evaluated as a group and separately, considering their aesthetic and artistic significance as well a their age.

Programme - Kisses For A Quid & Hansel and Gretel / performed by "Q" Theatre Guild, 1961

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Souvenir programme issued by the "Q" Theatre Guild for a performances of Kisses For A Quid, a one act opera opera, performed in a double bill with Humerdink's Hansel and Gretel, at the Kew City Theatre in 1961

Iron [Electric] / by Hotpoint, Australia

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Electric Iron, made under license by Hotpoint, Australia.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label: " Hotpoint. Made in Australia. Licensed by Edison Elelectric Appliance Co. Inc. Chicago, U.S.A. Cat.915 F61. W.575, W230."

Hat - Brown Straw Hat / a Calvert Model, 1960s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

High crowned brown straw hat with a downward sloping rim. The design includes brown ribbon at the base of the crown. A label on the inside back rim identifiies the hat as "a Calvert Model".

Historical information

"Calvert Model" hats were designed by Frank Tisdale. A Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales on Friday 7 September 1973 (No.117), page 3941, recorded that: "CALVERT MILLINERY PTY LIMITED (In Liquidation), formerly trading as Frank S. Tisdale.—A first and final dividend is intended to be declared in the above matter. If persons claiming to be creditors have not proved their debts or had their debts admitted by the liquidator by 24th September, 1973, they will be excluded from this dividend.—Dated this 3rd day of September, 1973. P. J. WOODWARD, Liquidator, 32 York Street, Sydney." Therefore the hat must predate 1973, and given that it is in the style favoured by the actress Audrey Hepburn (the style of the hat has been called an "Audrey") the hat probably dates to the 1960s.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label: "a Calvert Model"

Manuscript - Minute Book [of the Committee] of the East Kew Womens Club, 1965-68

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Document: Register containing the minutes of committee meetings of the East Kew Womens Club, 1965-68

Historical information

The East Kew Women’s Club was formed on 20 July 1945 as an experiment amongst local women, who felt that there was a need for some organised group to give full scope to their various interests and hobbies. In the beginning, they met at the house of their founder, Mrs Eric Thake, 48 Harp Road, East Kew, but the growth and interest was so rapid that it was soon necessary to find a larger meeting place, so the group moved to the Harrier’s Pavilion in Victoria Park, Kew. At the fifth meeting of the group, a committee was formed, and a constitution adopted on 4 December 1945.The Club was aimed to be non-political, non-sectarian and open to women from any locality. The Club’s motto was “To Help others, Improve Ourselves, and Foster the Community Spirit”. The first twenty years of the Club was recorded in a small, nine-page publication “East Kew Women’s Club : Twenty Years 20-7-1945 - 30-7-1965”.

Significance

Following the closure of the Club in 1973, after twenty-eight years, its records were deposited with the Kew Historical Society and are thus available for research into the history of women’s groups in the post war period in Australia. The Society holds the Club’s Minute Books of Meetings (1953-73), Attendance Registers (1959-73), Visitors Book, and sundry items of print ephemera published by the Club.

Footwear - Black Suede Shoes / by Bally

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pair of black suede (sic) women’s designed by Bally, England and retailed expressly for Georges, Collins Street, Melbourne

Inscriptions & Markings

BALLY / England / Expressly for Georges, Collins Street, Melbourne

Photograph - Centenary Celebrations, Kew "Strong Post" St Kilda Road, 1934

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Framed and glazed photograph on its original inscribed mount and original frame of the Kew "Strong Post" in St Kilda Road on the occasion of the visit to Melbourne of the Duke of Gloucester. The photograph has two components, at the upper left is a photo of the royal carriage while the man photo shows the people of Kew on a decorated 'Strong Post' on St Kilda Road, along which the procession progressed. T

Historical information

Cr. W.D. Vaughan in 'Kew's Civic History' (1960) records that: "In connection with the Melbourne Centenary Celebrations in 1934, the Kew Council decided to organise a strong post as an appropriate gesture of welcome to H.R.H. the Duke of Gloucester. Also that the municipality be represented by a symbolic floral float in the Royal pageant. This was a striking entry and won first prize, and evoked much comment on account of its originality and truly Australian motif." The photograph of the Kew Strong Post was once part of the Municipal Collection of the former City of Kew and was presented to the Kew Historical Society before the move from the Walpole Street (Kew) Town Hall to new Civic offices in Charles Street in 1971.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Centenary Celebrations / Kew "Strong Post" St Kilda Road / On the occasion of the visit of / H.R.H. The Duke of Gloucester / October 18th 1934."

Photograph - Cr. W.J. Price, Mayor [of Kew] 1940-41

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Framed portrait of Cr. W.J. Price, Mayor of Kew 1940-1. The mounting and framing of the photograph follows a typical layout or style in that each is framed in dark wood, glazed, and laid down on an inscribed board. The inscription identifies the name of the mayor and the year/s that he/she served.

Significance

The collection of photographs presented by the former City of Kew to the the Kew Historical Society in 1987 is historically and aesthetically significant. It comprises 85 original photographs, and two portraits of the former Clerks of the Kew City Council covering the period from 1863 to 1969. The earliest photographs date from c.1906, when the Town of Kew Council commissioned the noted local photographer Josiah E Barnes to make copy photographs of earlier images of Kew mayors and to photograph the current mayor for a display in its Council Chamber in Walpole Street, Kew. The photographs are large format and handsomely framed. The collection also includes photographs by other well-known photographic studios such as Burlington Studios, Melba – Melbourne, Stuart Tompkins, Spencer Shier and Talma & Co - the majority of the photographs are signed by the photographer, and have with the dates of office of the mayor inscribed on the mount. There are only three missing portraits in the series. 80 photographs are housed in their original frames – the early photographs were framed by Beaument's Art Gallery, Picture Framing and Mount Cutting specialists, a business previously located next to the Hawthorn Town Hall in Burwood Road.

Subdivision Plan - Harvest Home Estate

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The ‘Harvest Home Estate’ was advertised as being a subdivision in East Kew. Now, Campbell and Owen Streets on which the allotments were located are classed as being in Kew. The Estate included 11 residential allotments abutting the Outer Circle Railway line [at the end of Owen Street]. Understandably, the vendors focused on the availability of transport by tram, noting that the Estate was near the High Street tram terminus at the Harp of Erin. A small note on the subdivision advises that the Cotham Road tram was only 3 minutes away. The location – ‘The most elevated position in lovely Kew’ – was also promoted as an advantage.

Historical information

Pru Sanderson, in her groundbreaking ‘City of Kew Urban Conservation Study : Volume 2 - Development History’ (1988), summarised the periods of urban development and subdivisions of land in Kew. The periods that she identified included 1845-1880, 1880-1893, 1893-1921, 1921-1933, 1933-1943, and Post-War Development. These periods were selected as they represented periods of rapid growth or decline in urban development. An obvious starting point for Sanderson’s groupings involved population growth and the associated economic cycles. These cycles also highlighted urban expansion onto land that was predominantly rural, although in other cases it represented the decline and breakup of large estates. A number of the plans in the Kew Historical Society’s collection can also be found in other collections, such as those of the State Library of Victoria and the Boroondara Library Service. A number are however unique to the collection.

Significance

The Kew Historical Society collection includes almost 100 subdivision plans pertaining to suburbs of the City of Melbourne. Most of these are of Kew, Kew East or Studley Park, although a smaller number are plans of Camberwell, Deepdene, Balwyn and Hawthorn. It is believed that the majority of the plans were gifted to the Society by persons connected with the real estate firm - J. R. Mathers and McMillan, 136 Cotham Road, Kew. The Plans in the collection are rarely in pristine form, being working plans on which the agent would write notes and record lots sold and the prices of these. The subdivision plans are historically significant examples of the growth of urban Melbourne from the beginning of the 20th Century up until the 1980s. A number of the plans are double-sided and often include a photograph on the reverse. A number of the latter are by noted photographers such as J.E. Barnes.

Photograph - John Carson, Mayor [of Kew] 1863-4

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Framed portrait of Cr. John Carson, Mayor of Kew 1863-4. The mounting and framing of the photograph follows a typical layout or style in that each is framed in dark wood, glazed, and laid down on an inscribed board. The inscription identifies the name of the mayor and the year/s that he/she served.

Significance

This historically significant collection of civic portraits was presented by the former City of Kew to the the Kew Historical Society in 1987. It comprises 85 original photographs, and two portraits of the former Clerks covering the period from 1863 to 1969. The earliest photographs date from ca.1906, when the Town of Kew Council commissioned the noted local photographer Josiah E Barnes to make copy photographs of earlier images of Kew mayors and to photograph the current mayor for a display in its Council Chamber in Walpole Street, Kew. The photographs are large format and handsomely framed. The collection also includes photographs by other well-known photographic studios such as Burlington Studios, Melba – Melbourne, Stuart Tompkins, Spencer Shier and Talma & Co - the majority of the photographs are signed by the photographer, and have the dates of office of the mayor inscribed on the mount. There are only three missing portraits in the series. 80 photographs are housed in their original frames – the early photographs were framed by Beaument's Art Gallery, Picture Framing and Mount Cutting specialists, a business previously located next to the Hawthorn Town Hall in Burwood Road.

Photograph - 1st Kew Boy Scout Troop

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

This photograph shows members of the 1st Kew Scout Troop proudly displaying a competition trophy. While the original photo does not have a title, it is most likely the Cohen Shield for the best Victorian Scout Troop, which the 1st Kew Troop won in 1926. The location of where the photograph was taken has not been identified.

Puzzle - Winnie-The-Pooh Jig-Saw Puzzle, 120 wooden piece, circa 1920s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Chad Valley wooden jigsaw puzzle. Made at Harborne, UK, circa late 1920s. In original book-shaped box with Winnie-the-Pooh on one side and an owl on the reverse. Complete.

Historical information

Chad Valley produced fine hand-cut wooden puzzles in the 1920s and 1930s. A UK-base dcompany they commenced as a printing business in 1820. They diversified into toys including teddy bears and games from the late 1910s. It is interesting to note that the A.A. Milne Winnie-The-Pooh' books were first published in 1916, 1927 and 1928.

Subdivision Plan - Normanby Estate, East Kew

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The Normanby Estate, which was adjacent to Normanby Road, Kew East, included thirty-one lots for sale. Streets on the subdivision plan include Adeney Avenue, Park Hill Road, Normanby Road, Weir Street and Wharton Street. Cotham Road and its tramway are shown nearby. The plan is interesting as it shows Wharton Street, named after the architect and town planner George Wharton, who was the first chairman of the Municipality of Kew. The street was to later be renamed Cecil Street. Also shown are proposed ‘Municipal Gardens’ where Parkhill Drive is now located.

Historical information

Pru Sanderson, in her groundbreaking ‘City of Kew Urban Conservation Study : Volume 2 - Development History’ (1988), summarised the periods of urban development and subdivisions of land in Kew. The periods that she identified included 1845-1880, 1880-1893, 1893-1921, 1921-1933, 1933-1943, and Post-War Development. These periods were selected as they represented periods of rapid growth or decline in urban development. An obvious starting point for Sanderson’s groupings involved population growth and the associated economic cycles. These cycles also highlighted urban expansion onto land that was predominantly rural, although in other cases it represented the decline and breakup of large estates. A number of the plans in the Kew Historical Society’s collection can also be found in other collections, such as those of the State Library of Victoria and the Boroondara Library Service. A number are however unique to the collection.

Significance

The Kew Historical Society collection includes almost 100 subdivision plans pertaining to suburbs of the City of Melbourne. Most of these are of Kew, Kew East or Studley Park, although a smaller number are plans of Camberwell, Deepdene, Balwyn and Hawthorn. It is believed that the majority of the plans were gifted to the Society by persons connected with the real estate firm - J. R. Mathers and McMillan, 136 Cotham Road, Kew. The Plans in the collection are rarely in pristine form, being working plans on which the agent would write notes and record lots sold and the prices of these. The subdivision plans are historically significant examples of the growth of urban Melbourne from the beginning of the 20th Century up until the 1980s. A number of the plans are double-sided and often include a photograph on the reverse. A number of the latter are by noted photographers such as J.E. Barnes.

Photograph - A.J. McConchie, Mayor [of Kew] 1927-8

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Framed portrait of Cr. A.J. McConchie, Mayor of Kew 1927-8, 1945-6. The mounting and framing of the photograph follows a typical layout or style in that each is framed in dark wood, glazed, and laid down on an inscribed board. The inscription identifies the name of the mayor and the year/s that he/she served.

Significance

This historically significant collection of civic portraits was presented by the former City of Kew to the the Kew Historical Society in 1987. It comprises 85 original photographs, and two portraits of the former Clerks covering the period from 1863 to 1969. The earliest photographs date from ca.1906, when the Town of Kew Council commissioned the noted local photographer Josiah E Barnes to make copy photographs of earlier images of Kew mayors and to photograph the current mayor for a display in its Council Chamber in Walpole Street, Kew. The photographs are large format and handsomely framed. The collection also includes photographs by other well-known photographic studios such as Burlington Studios, Melba – Melbourne, Stuart Tompkins, Spencer Shier and Talma & Co - the majority of the photographs are signed by the photographer, and have the dates of office of the mayor inscribed on the mount. There are only three missing portraits in the series. 80 photographs are housed in their original frames – the early photographs were framed by Beaument's Art Gallery, Picture Framing and Mount Cutting specialists, a business previously located next to the Hawthorn Town Hall in Burwood Road.

Inscriptions & Markings

[Inscription] A.J. McConchie, Mayor 1927-8 Photographer] "Burlington / Melbourne"

Hat - Multicoloured Silk / by R & M Dower, 1949-74

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Small brimless woman’s hat retailed by R & M Dower of High Street, Kew. The structure of the hat is made of stiffened net, covered with multicoloured flowers, leaves and a purple ribbon.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label: R & M Dower, 146 High St., Kew. Phone WM 8527.

Program - State Funeral [for] The Late The Honourable Sir Wilfrid Kent Hughes K.B.E. M.V.O. M.C. E.D. M.P., 1970

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Handout - "State Funeral. The Late The Honourable Sir Wilfrid Kent Hughes K.B.E. M.V.O. M.C. E.D. M.P. Order of Service at St John's Anglican Church, Burke Road, Camberwell. Monday, 3rd August 1970, at 11.00 a.m."

Historical information

A resident, and parliamentary representative of Kew, Wilfred Kent Hughes was elected to the Victorian Parliament in 1927. He switched to federal politics in 1949 and remained an MP until his death in 1970.

Significance

This work forms part of the collection assembled by the historian Dorothy Rogers, that was donated to the Kew Historical Society by her son John Rogers in 2015. The manuscripts, photographs, maps, and documents were sourced by her from both family and local collections or produced as references for her print publications. Many were directly used by Rogers in writing ‘Lovely Old Homes of Kew’ (1961) and 'A History of Kew' (1973), or the numerous articles on local history that she produced for suburban newspapers. Most of the photographs in the collection include detailed annotations in her hand. The Rogers Collection provides a comprehensive insight into the working habits of a historian in the 1960s and 1970s. Together it forms the largest privately-donated collection within the archives of the Kew Historical Society.

Subdivision Plan - Lodged Plan No.6518

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Reconciling this hand-drawn subdivision plan with a modern map of the area is initially a challenge due to a change of street names. Argyle Road in the centre of the subdivision was to be renamed Deepdene Road, and the street named Deepdene Road on the plan was to become Deepdene Place. Of interest is the nursery on the corner of Argyle and Whitehorse Roads. During this period there were a number of nurseries servicing the Kew and Balwyn areas.

Historical information

Pru Sanderson, in her groundbreaking ‘City of Kew Urban Conservation Study : Volume 2 - Development History’ (1988), summarised the periods of urban development and subdivisions of land in Kew. The periods that she identified included 1845-1880, 1880-1893, 1893-1921, 1921-1933, 1933-1943, and Post-War Development. These periods were selected as they represented periods of rapid growth or decline in urban development. An obvious starting point for Sanderson’s groupings involved population growth and the associated economic cycles. These cycles also highlighted urban expansion onto land that was predominantly rural, although in other cases it represented the decline and breakup of large estates. A number of the plans in the Kew Historical Society’s collection can also be found in other collections, such as those of the State Library of Victoria and the Boroondara Library Service. A number are however unique to the collection.

Significance

The Kew Historical Society collection includes almost 100 subdivision plans pertaining to suburbs of the City of Melbourne. Most of these are of Kew, Kew East or Studley Park, although a smaller number are plans of Camberwell, Deepdene, Balwyn and Hawthorn. It is believed that the majority of the plans were gifted to the Society by persons connected with the real estate firm - J. R. Mathers and McMillan, 136 Cotham Road, Kew. The Plans in the collection are rarely in pristine form, being working plans on which the agent would write notes and record lots sold and the prices of these. The subdivision plans are historically significant examples of the growth of urban Melbourne from the beginning of the 20th Century up until the 1980s. A number of the plans are double-sided and often include a photograph on the reverse. A number of the latter are by noted photographers such as J.E. Barnes.

Button - ANZAC APL.25. 1915

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

World War I-era pressed metal fundraising badge, featuring an olive wreath encircling in red text: ‘Anzac Apr. 25. 1915’, on a white background.

Historical information

Most of the civic and sporting ephemera assembled by Francis Rigg were patriotic buttons. The use of these buttons as a means of raising revenue through patriotic sentiment occurred soon after Australia pledged allegiance to Empire. Buttons reflected ‘public sentiment, courage, patriotism, generosity and several [un- named] virtues’ such as the martyred mother of a ‘fallen’ hero. Attention was paid to attractiveness of design, encoded symbolism and high quality of production. Expressing ‘loyalty’, they were tokens to be kept for perpetuity. Female labour was used to operate the die that compressed the tin backing, photographic print and celluloid cover together. The pin was applied by hand. Women, of all ages, entered into the spirit of voluntary sales. Often they were sold at the entry and exit points of major pedestrian thoroughfares. The women of Kew set up a kiosk in front of the Post Office and the Railway Station to solicit their round, oval and square shaped wares. Pride in salesmanship was affected by publishing the name of the woman and her fiscal achievement in the major newspapers of the day.

Significance

The badges form part of a collection of ephemera originally purchased by Francis Horace Rigg (19/10/1882-05/03/1946) of 50 Belford Road, Kew (Vic.). Frances Rigg was a local business identity in Kew, ultimately managing the local branch of the English, Scottish and Australian (ES&A) Bank at 175 High Street, Kew from c. 1920 until the 1940s. After Francis Rigg’s death, the collection of buttons and badges was inherited by his son, Ken Rigg (14/11/1922-19/01/2014). The collection was subsequently donated to the Kew Historical Society in 2015 by his grandson Adrian Rigg during the Gallipoli and Beyond Commemoration. The collection covers a period of almost 40 years. The majority of the badges are patriotic buttons, issued and sold during and immediately after World War 1 to raise funds for national and overseas causes. The collection also includes a number of locally significant sporting event buttons and sporting club medallions, issued in the 1920s and 1930s.

Photograph - Glendonald School for the Deaf, Marshall Avenue (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Front entrance, Glendonald, Marshall Avenue (Kew).

Historical information

Glendonald School for Deaf Children was run by the Victorian Education Department. It provided education and some residential services for deaf children. The school was situated in Marshall Avenue, Kew and operated from 1951–91. Deaf children whose families lived too far to travel daily were housed in a grand Victorian mansion in Belmont Avenue, Kew, the John Cannon Hostel. The school and hostel also accommodated a small number of wards of the state. Source: Glendonald School for Deaf Children (1951–91); https://www.findingrecords.dhhs.vic.gov.au/collectionresultspage/GlendonaldSchoolforDeafChildren; Accessed 05/09/2018.

Significance

Glendonald was a significant mansion in Kew (now demolished) built for the industrialist and manufacturer Donald Leslie in 1886. The school was purchased by the Victorian Department of Education on 29 November 1950 for the sum of 16,500 pounds.

Inscriptions & Markings

The old school for the deaf at 17 Marshall Ave for children from the age of six years to ten years old, then they would go to 25 Marshall Ave to finish their schooling leaving age 16 years old.

Photograph - Central Avenue, Fitzroy Gardens / by Nicholas Caire, circa 1876

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Albumen Silver Photograph, mounted on Board.

Historical information

Nicholas Caire was born on Guernsey in the Channel Islands in 1837. He arrived in Adelaide with his parents in about 1860. In 1867, following photographic journeys in Gippsland, he opened a studio in Adelaide. From 1870 to 1876 he lived and worked in Talbot in Central Victoria. In 1876 he purchased T. F. Chuck's studios in the Royal Arcade Melbourne. In 1885, following the introduction of dry plate photography, he began a series of landscape series, which were commercially successful. As a photographer, he travelled extensively through Victoria, photographing places few of his contemporaries had previously seen. He died in 1918. Reference: Jack Cato, 'Caire, Nicholas John (1837–1918)', Australian Dictionary of Biography.

Significance

An original, rare photograph from the series 'Views of Victoria: General Series' by the photographer, Nicholas Caire (1837-1918). The series of 60 photographs that comprise the series was issued c. 1876 and reinforced a neo-Romantic view of the Australian landscape to which a growing nationalist movement would respond. Nicholas Caire was active as a photographer in Australia from 1858 until his death in 1918. His vision of the Australian bush and pioneer life had a counterpart in the works of Henry Lawson and other nationalist poets, authors and painters.

Inscriptions & Markings

printed in ink on support l.c.: CENTRAL AVENUE, FITZROY GARDENS / COPYRIGHT REGISTERED. printed in ink on support reverse c.: VIEWS OF VICTORIA. / (GENERAL SERIES.) / No. 2. / CENTRAL AVENUE, FITZROY GARDENS. / The Fitzroy Gardens have, for several years past, become one of the most popular places for public resort- / attributable, no doubt, to the great variety of picturesque scenes they contain. Shrubs and flower plants, of almost / every description, can be seen growing in rich profusion within the enclosures, studded here and there with choice / pieces of statuary. The subject of the present illustration is but one of the many to be found within their precincts. / The distance of these gardens from the Melbourne Post Office is about one mile. printed in ink on support reverse l.c.l.: J.W. FORBES, Agent, printed in ink on support reverse l.c.: ANGLO-AUSTRALASIAN PHOTOGRAPHIC COMPANY, MELBOURNE. printed in ink on support reverse l.c.r.: 10 Temple Court, Collins Street West.

Photograph - North Kew Cricket Club 1929-30

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph on card of the North Kew Cricket Team of 1929-30. The names of the players are listed under the photograph.