Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Kew Historical Society Inc Kew, Victoria

Founded in 1958, the Kew Historical Society is one of the oldest suburban historical societies in Melbourne. The Society was formed to assist in the preparations for Kew’s 100th Anniversary in 1960. Today, the Society continues to work with local government and other organisations within Kew to stimulate interest in our history and heritage. It publishes, in print and online, information and resources about Kew’s history, as well as organising events relevant to our heritage. The Society cooperates with other historical societies and groups across the City of Boroondara through the Boroondara Historical Societies Association.

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 175 Kew Victoria 3101

Contact

Opening Hours

Fridays & Saturdays 11.00am to 1.00pm. Closed in January.

Entry Fee

Free entry

Location

Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria

The Kew Historical Society was founded in 1958, and the collection predates and postdates that year. The collection has sometimes grown gradually, or significantly, the latter through key donations (eg The Rogers Collection), or due to events such as the amalgamation of the former City of Kew into the new City of Boroondara in 1994. Many ‘civic’ items were donated before, during or after the amalgamation. These records are digitised by the Kew Historical Society on Victorian Collections for the purposes of education and preservation. If you believe that we have infringed your copyright please contact us and we will remove the material from the site.

Significance

The collection as a whole fulfills the criteria for very strong historical, aesthetic and research significance at a local level. It also has many outstanding associations with state themes, figures and events and quite a few that resonate at a national level. The costume and textiles, map and picture collections each have very strong historical, research and aesthetic significance of their own accord. The degree of their significance is greatly enhanced by all of the comparative criteria: interpretive value, provenance, condition, integrity, rarity and representativeness.

The costume collection has a very high degree of aesthetic significance for its beauty, quality and workmanship. There are some items that are associated with nationally significant designers, or with Kew donors who have made an impact on society at a local and a state level (ie Prue Acton, Jinoel of Melbourne, Oggi Fashion House). The strong degree of provenance and high quality of the design and dressmaking that went into the production of these clothes strengthens the research significance of this sub-collection for those interested in fashion, textiles and dressmaking. This costume collection includes items that date back to the 1850s (patchwork Denbigh quilt) through to the 1980s, and that reflect changing styles, technologies, textiles and production methods.

The picture collection has some items that have high local significance such as the Josiah Barnes photograph ‘Kew proclaimed a city’, which was taken on that day – 10 March 1921, and the ‘Unveiling of the Kew War Memorial’ on August 30 1925 in front of an audience of over 5,000 people and presided over by the Kew Mayor and the Governor of Victoria. Both of these important images also have significance to state and national processes of municipal development and memorializing war. The mayoral portraits (part of the picture collection) have a very high degree of historical and research significance for their associations, enhanced by strong provenance and technical qualities. Eminent photographers took many of the portraits and the subjects are people who have made a significant contribution to the welfare and development of Kew and, in the case of some of the Mayors in this collection, of the state or even the nation. This includes people such as Stanley Argyle (Premier of Victoria 1932-35) and William Kerr (influential businessman and federal government advisor in the early decades of the 20th century). The significance threshold of this sub-collection is therefore likely to be of state significance at the least.

The maps and plans number some 300 or more and include some fascinating and important maps beyond the MMBW sub-collection that, itself, holds some unique items and has been discussed at length in this report. Other much earlier and hand drawn maps such as ‘Back to Kew’ (c.1875) and ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ (undated) are historically fascinating. In the case of ‘Back to Kew’ it is the detail of the built, natural and social landscape of Kew, which was also annotated and added to several times in subsequent decades to show the development of the area. In the case of ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ it is the careful recording of the garden layout and the nature of domesticity in these early days of European settlement that is both fascinating and rare to find in any local history collection. While not all the items are original the map and plan collection has a very high degree of historical and research significance.

Provenance for much of the collection is strong, and therefore supportive of its historical, research and interpretive value. Certainly the interpretive capacity for understanding a detailed and nuanced history of Kew on many levels, as well as touching or reflecting on wider stories on a state or national stage is very high.

Russell, Emma, 'Kew Historical Society Significance Assessment | Collection', History@Work, 2018

Cameron Auty 26 April 2016 9:48 AM

Amazing hat collection, these are a great addition to the site - Site admin.

Leave a comment

2327 items with images

Album - Victorian Sketchbook / by Louisa Goulburn Thomas [et al], 1862

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The large bound sketchbook has a marbled cover with blue binding. The name Louisa Goulburn Thomas and the date 1862 are faintly inscribed in pencil on the front page. However the book contains pen and ink and pencil drawings, watercolours, and photographs, which both predate and postdate 1862. The approximately 75 works are loose-leafed items and [currently] do not form a chronological, geographical or thematic sequence. Creators identified on some drawings and watercolours include Mary Julia Wilder Thomas, JFV Wright, ELG (Edward Louis de Bondell Gipps?), L Nicholson, Bertha Isadore Thomas, and HG (Henry Gipps?). Many of the works are signed and dated, and include rural landscapes and seascapes, archaeological sites, animal studies, and portraits. While most of the works were created in the British Isles, others are scenes of Venice, the Ionian Islands, Cape Town, Hong Kong and Japan. [A number of the ‘oriental’ paintings on silk were probably purchased from local artists.] The art works in the book are at various stages of completion and represent a diverse range of artistic skills. What may be the earliest work in the sketchbook is a drawing of three uniformed soldiers. An annotation on the reverse records that the drawing is of a Group of Soldiers after [Philipp Jakob] de Southerbourg 1830. The birth of Louisa Thomas' oldest son, William Henry Houston Meyrick Gipps (1864-1903) in Corfu perhaps explains why a number of scenes and items in the album are of the Ionian Islands. Louisa is probably the creator of a number of still life and botanical studies in the album. These range from floral studies to a bird’s nest. The painting of objects was to remain a socially ‘approved’ specialty of amateur and professional women artists into the 20th century. The complete contents of the album will be uploaded to accompany this record. Some items may be published separately on Victorian Collections, but will acknowledge their origins in the sketchbook.

Historical information

Louisa Thomas married Henry Gipps (1837-91)in 1863. They had six sons and two daughters. While Louisa and Henry Gipps were to die in Sussex, two of their sons, Frederick George De Visme Gipps (1867-1953) and Richard Brook Woodthorpe Gipps (c.1872-1946) migrated to Queensland, possibly bringing with them their mother’s sketchbook.

Significance

The collection of artworks that are included in the sketchbook are often of outstanding aesthetic and artistic significance. In the variety of subject matter and the geographical places represented, it is historically significant as a document recording the postings of Colonel Henry Gipps, 9th Norfolk Regiment, and his wife Louisa to locations in the Mediterranean and West Asia.

Album - Scrapbook / compiled by or for Alick Kirkland Goulburn Gipps, 1930s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Hard cover, 50-page album covered in red cloth and red leather corners and spine, the latter embossed with the words 'SCRAP BOOK' in gilt lettering. On the inside front cover, top left is an oval green label with retailer information - "WEDDING CHRISTENING / R. E. PENN. / Bible Warehouse / 213 REGENT St / BIRTHDAY PRESENTS". The paper used for the pages are in alternating blue, cream and green-coloured sections. The front pages of the scrapbook include the signature of the owner as Alick Kirkland [Goulburn] Gipps (1928-2014). Items pasted into the scrapbook include black and white and coloured illustrations, photographs, and extracts from books. Items selected for the scrapbook fill a single page or are arranged in groups. The oldest items in the scrapbook appear to date from 1859 and include a colour cover of the Illustrated London Almanack and pictorial handbills of electoral results for the seat of Holmesdale and Filmer in Kent, England. While other items in the book are of later periods, most can be classified as sentimental Victorian-era illustrations. The biblical scenes in the scrapbook reflect one aspect of the values of the Gipps family. The focus in the album on material about or published in Great Britain also suggests a preoccupation with, and a valuing of, traditional British culture. This is confirmed by the memberships of Alick and his sister Rosemary (Gipps) Vaughan-Smith in the English-Speaking Union Club, for which they welcomed guests at an 'Elizabethan party and barbecue' during the Coronation festivities of June 1953. (The Age, 3 June 1953, page 5). The album entered the collection of the Kew Historical Society as part of the Raymond and Rosemary (Gipps) Vaughan-Smith donation.

Historical information

Alick Gipps (1928-2014) was the son of Richard Brook Woodthorpe Gipps (1872-1946) and Mary Alys Kirkland (1889-1981), and the older brother of Christopher David Gipps (1930-52) and Rosemary Alison Gipps (1930-2013). While many scrapbooks of the period were created by, and or added to by their child owners, it is believed that "scrapbooks were considered by later Victorian parents to be an educational tool to teach children how to organise and classify information and to develop their ‘artistic’ senses" (Margaret Simpson, MAAS, 2008), and that the scrapbooks may have been compiled by the parent, rather than the child.

Significance

The textile is part of a large and significant collection of items donated by Rosemary Vaughan-Smith, past member and office-bearer of the Kew Historical Society. between 2005-12. The collection includes costumes, scrapbooks, autograph books, artworks and objects.

Archaeological Material - Rusted Horse Shoe, Horse Tramways Shed, High Street (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Horse shoe excavated from the Kew Recreation Centre site [old Council Depot] in High Street, Kew donated by Mr Poulter, City Engineer, City of Kew. The shoe may have been made for one of the horses that pulled the Kew Horse Tram.

Historical information

The site on which the shoe was discovered has had a number of uses before it was a Council Depot. The site is marked on the old Board of Works map as a Tram Shed.

Archaeological Materials - Inscribed Moreton Bay Fig Leaves, Hawthorn (Vic)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Dried Moreton Bay fig leaves from the vicinity of Palmer's Punt near Denham Street Hawthorn. Each leaf was inscribed by the historian Dorothy Rogers (sic) before 1973. The leaves are brittle and undated, with the text difficult to decipher.

Inscriptions & Markings

1974.0010.1 "Moreton Bay fig leaf from old tree foot of Derham St Haw - vicinity Palmer's Punt until 1934 flood & hut for Punt passengers was still there. KH-355." 1974.0010.2 "Moreton Bay fig leaf from old tree foot of Denham St haw - vicinity Palmer's Punt until 1934 flood hut for punt passengers still existed there. A canoe tree in garden from Sir J. Palmer's land. KH-355." 1974.0010.3 "Moreton Bay fig leaf from old tree foot of Denham St leading to Palmer's Punt until 1934 flood there was still there a hut for punt passengers. Canoe tree in gardens from Sir J. Palmer's land. KH-355."

Architectural Drawing - 'Sir Malcolm D. McEacharn’ / by William Pitt

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

'Sir Malcolm D. McEacharn’, [Architectural drawings]. A set of architectural drawings of additions to Goathland (originally Byram, and later Goathland and Lowan). The drawings, by the architect William Pitt represent additions to the size of Goathland. Pitt had previously worked with the original architect of the house, Edward George Kilburn, of Ellerker & Kilburn, who had designed Byram for the industrialist George Ramsden in 1888. 'Lost Glories: a memorial to forgotten Australian buildings' was published by David Latta in 1986. It tells the story of a number of significant Australian buildings that had previously been demolished. A chapter in the book was devoted to Goathland, later known as Tara Hall. To supplement the text, he sourced photographs from a range of suppliers, chiefly the Royal Women's Hospital which had once owned Tara Hall, but had sold it in 1960. This is one of the photographs donated to KHS by the author.

Architectural Fragments - Chips From Old Law Courts, Russell Street (Melb)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Matchbox containing architectural fragments from the old law courts [Supreme Court] in Russell Street. The matchbox has a label on the front and more detailed information included in a note inside the box. The item is believed to have belonged to the historian Dorothy Rogers.

Historical information

The law court buildings on the corner of Russell and La Trobe Streets (Melbourne) were later to house the Supreme Court of Victoria. The law courts were built in 1842. The inscription by Dorothy Rogers [sic] incorrectly describes the builders as Swanson Bros., who instead were the builders of the later Magistrates Court on the same site.

Inscriptions & Markings

Exterior "Chips from the old law courts Russell St." Inside: "Court House built by Swanson Bros in 1842 of Moorabool Stone & opened 1st time [sic] in 1843. Stone composed of tiny shells".

Architectural Perspective Sketch - City of Kew Municipal Depot, 1984

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Large colour perspective drawing of the new Kew Municipal Depot at 31-35 Hutchinson Street, Kew. The drawing was completed by W.A.D. Brodie in 1984 on behalf of the project consortium. In addition to the projected layout of the depot, the drawing includes details of the consortium drawn together to bid for the project: project managers - McGinley & Partners; consulting engineers - D. G. Hill & Harvey Pty Ltd; and project architects - Dorner Rice Pty Ltd.

Historical information

There have been a number of municipal depots in the former City of Kew (now part of the City of Boroondara). This perspective sketch by Dorner Rice Pty Ltd represents the original design of the depot at 31-35 Hutchinson Drive, on the grounds of the former Kew Mental Hospital. The large perspective drawing by W.A.D. Brodie in 1984 is an important record of the depot as originally designed.

Inscriptions & Markings

Architectural Perspective Sketch : City of Kew Municipal Depot: Perspective sketch : W.A.D. Brodie 1984 : McGinley & Partners Pty Ltd Project Managers : D.G. Hill & Harvey Pty Ltd Project Engineers : Dorner Rice Pty Ltd Project Architects

Architectural Perspective Sketch - Kew Civic Centre, 1970

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Hand-coloured perspective sketch of the new Kew Civic Centre, completed in 1972 to designs by A K Lines, MacFarlane & Marshall; and located on the corner of Charles Street and Cotham Road, Kew. The sketch represents the front elevation of the building and its relation to the preexisting Kew Civic Hall at right. The three storey building features strong vertical concrete buttresses that extend across the three levels.

Historical information

The Kew Civic Centre (A K Lines, MacFarlane & Marshall, 1972) was built next to the Kew Civic Hall (C Leith & Bartlett, 1960) on the site of the former mansion Ordsall (later renamed South Esk). Whereas the entrance to the Civic Hall was positioned off Civic Drive, the main entrance to the Civic Centre faced Cotham Road, as shown in the undated perspective drawing of the proposed building. The Civic Hall was used for public functions and performances, while the Civic Centre was used for civic offices. It also contained the Council Chamber. The building opened in 1972, following the relocation of the councillors and council officers from the former Town Hall in Walpole Street (now a Woolworth's supermarket). Following the amalgamation of the former City of Kew into the City of Boroondara in 1994, the Civic Centre was sold to Trinity Grammar School. The Civic Hall now houses the Kew Library. The exterior of the Centre has been modified by Trinity Grammar.

Significance

A report for Heritage Victoria (date) describes how two architectural firms dominated the designs for new civic buildings in Victoria during the post war period. The report calims that: "An interesting sub-theme in the erection of post-war municipal offices in Victoria is that a considerable proportion were designed by the same three or four Melbourne-based architectural firms, who established themselves as the leading specialists in this type of work. The two most prolific firms in this regard were A K Lines, MacFarlane & Marshall, and A C Leith & Bartlett; both, in fact, had made names for themselves as designers of local government offices prior to the Second World War. Lines' office, for example had designed the Eltham Shire Offices in 1941, while Leith's firm had been responsible for the celebrated Heidelberg Town Hall in 1937). Both practices parleyed this early experience into a lucrative post-war career, designing numerous municipals offices well into the 1970s." (Survey of Post-War Built Heritage in Victoria, Built Heritage Pty Ltd, 2010.) The perspective drawing importantly captures the original design and function of the exterior of the building and its public entrance.

Archive Files - Kew Heritage Review, Residential Places Graded B, Volume 2, 1999

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black 4-Ring binder that includes research about, and an assessment of buildings previously graded B in the City of Kew Urban Conservation Study 1988 by Pru Sanderson Design Pty Ltd. The files were created by the heritage architect Graeme Butler and the paper files include maps, correspondence, title searches, readings, reviews of prior classifications, newspaper and journal articles, directories etc for each property assessed.

Historical information

The Kew Urban Conservation Study was commissioned by the City of Kew, and submitted by Pru Sanderson Design Pty Ltd in 1988. The Study was in a number of volumes and made recommendations about the 'significance' of built structures and places in Kew. In addition to those buildings nominated as Grade A Structures, Sanderson also nominated Grade B and Grade C Structures. Six years later, the City of Kew was amalgamated into the City of Boroondara. The new City, which encompassed Kew as well as Ashburton, Camberwell, Canterbury, Hawthorn and Surrey Hills was later to commission further conservation studies from a range of heritage consultants including Graeme Butler, who sumbmitted his own reviews of Grade B Structures in 1999. Butler's study was itself followed by evaluations of Grade B Structures by Lovell Chen (2007-9). In undertaking each of these heritage studies, consultants undertook a preliminary literature search as well as conducting new research about these buildings and places. To date [2017], apart from the completed Reports for the City of Borondara, the research data on which these Reports were made has not been publically available. Hence, the donation of these research files that supported the evaluations in Graeme Butler's 1999 review provides important data for researchers. [It should be noted that Graeme Butler donated the Kew files to the Kew Historical Society, and other research relating to other parts of Boroondara to the Kew Library Service.

Significance

While final heritage reports are frequently made available by the authorities, institutions or organisations that commission them, these reports, developed by heritage consultants, include information based on extensive research that may or may not be footnoted in the research. The Butler papers provide an important, and increasingly significant body of heritage research relating to Kew.

Archive Files - Kew Heritage Review, Residential Places Graded B, Volume 3, 1999

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black 4-Ring binder that includes research about, and an assessment of buildings previously graded B in the City of Kew Urban Conservation Study 1988 by Pru Sanderson Design Pty Ltd. The files were created by the heritage architect Graeme Butler and the paper files include maps, correspondence, title searches, readings, reviews of prior classifications, newspaper and journal articles, directories etc for each property assessed.

Historical information

The Kew Urban Conservation Study was commissioned by the City of Kew, and submitted by Pru Sanderson Design Pty Ltd in 1988. The Study was in a number of volumes and made recommendations about the 'significance' of built structures and places in Kew. In addition to those buildings nominated as Grade A Structures, Sanderson also nominated Grade B and Grade C Structures. Six years later, the City of Kew was amalgamated into the City of Boroondara. The new City, which encompassed Kew as well as Ashburton, Camberwell, Canterbury, Hawthorn and Surrey Hills was later to commission further conservation studies from a range of heritage consultants including Graeme Butler, who sumbmitted his own reviews of Grade B Structures in 1999. Butler's study was itself followed by evaluations of Grade B Structures by Lovell Chen (2007-9). In undertaking each of these heritage studies, consultants undertook a preliminary literature search as well as conducting new research about these buildings and places. To date [2017], apart from the completed Reports for the City of Borondara, the research data on which these Reports were made has not been publically available. Hence, the donation of these research files that supported the evaluations in Graeme Butler's 1999 review provides important data for researchers. [It should be noted that Graeme Butler donated the Kew files to the Kew Historical Society, and other research relating to other parts of Boroondara to the Kew Library Service.

Significance

While final heritage reports are frequently made available by the authorities, institutions or organisations that commission them, these reports, developed by heritage consultants, include information based on extensive research that may or may not be footnoted in the research. The Butler papers provide an important, and increasingly significant body of heritage research relating to Kew. As such they have historic and reserach significance.

Archive Files - Kew Heritage Review, Residential Places Graded B, Volume 1, 1999

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black 4-Ring binder that includes research about, and an assessment of buildings previously graded B in the City of Kew Urban Conservation Study 1988 by Pru Sanderson Design Pty Ltd. The files were created by the heritage architect Graeme Butler and the paper files include maps, correspondence, title searches, readings, reviews of prior classifications, newspaper and journal articles, directories etc for each property assessed.

Historical information

The Kew Urban Conservation Study was commissioned by the City of Kew, and submitted by Pru Sanderson Design Pty Ltd in 1988. The Study was in a number of volumes and made recommendations about the 'significance' of built structures and places in Kew. In addition to those buildings nominated as Grade A Structures, Sanderson also nominated Grade B and Grade C Structures. Six years later, the City of Kew was amalgamated into the City of Boroondara. The new City, which encompassed Kew as well as Ashburton, Camberwell, Canterbury, Hawthorn and Surrey Hills was later to commission further conservation studies from a range of heritage consultants including Graeme Butler, who sumbmitted his own reviews of Grade B Structures in 1999. Butler's study was itself followed by evaluations of Grade B Structures by Lovell Chen (2007-9). In undertaking each of these heritage studies, consultants undertook a preliminary literature search as well as conducting new research about these buildings and places. To date [2017], apart from the completed Reports for the City of Borondara, the research data on which these Reports were made has not been publically available. Hence, the donation of these research files that supported the evaluations in Graeme Butler's 1999 review provides important data for researchers.

Significance

While final heritage reports are frequently made available by the authorities, institutions or organisations that commission them, these reports, developed by heritage consultants, include information based on extensive research that may or may not be footnoted in the research. The Butler papers provide an important, and increasingly significant body of heritage research relating to Kew.

Artwork - "South Wing" - Xavier College / by Joy Stewart, 1978

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pen and wash drawing, set in an external card mount, depicting the south wing of Xavier College, Kew by Joy Stewart.

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "South Wing" - Xavier College." Signed lower right: "JStewart 78".

Artwork - Pastel, Entrance to the Kew Cemetery / attrib. to Caroline Ethel Bell, circa 1892

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Framed pastel drawing, donated to the Kew Historical Society in 1965 of the entrance to Boroondara General (Kew) Cemetery, believed to be drawn by the sister of the artist George Bell. The drawing shows one of the entrances to the Cemetery before the construction of the high brick wall in 1895. This would be consistent with the life of Caroline Bell (1872-1947). The artist's perspective is estimated to be near the west end of the cemetery, perhaps in Victoria Park.

Artwork - Villa, Mountain Grove [Kew] / by Joy Stewart

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pencil, pen and ink drawing of a Victorian villa in Mountain Grove, Kew by the artist Joy Stewart.

Historical information

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "Mountain Grove, Kew"

Artwork - Merritt House, Roberts House and Roxeth House, Trinity Grammar School / by Joy Stewart, circa 1978

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pencil, pen and ink drawing of Victorian buildings that comprise Trinity Grammar School - Merritt House, Roberts House and Roxeth House by the artist Joy Stewart. c.1978

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: Trinity Grammar School". Unsigned.

Artwork - House, Princess Street / by Joy Stewart, circa 1978

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Preliminary sketch of the two storey house on the corner of Fellows and Princess Street, Kew by the artist Joy Stewart.

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "Cn Princess and Fellow St". Unsigned.

Artwork - Roberts House [Trinity Grammar School] / by Joy Stewart, circa 1978

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Preliminary sketch of 'Roberts House' [Trinity Grammar School] by the artist Joy Stewart.

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "Roberts House". Another ink drawing by the artist of Roberts House is 1980.0037. A finished watercolour is 1980.0018. Signed by the artist: "JStewart".

Artwork - Roxeth, Trinity Grammar School / by Joy Stewart, circa 1978

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pencil, pen & Ink sketch on paper of 'Roxeth, Trinity Grammar School' by the artist Joy Stewart.

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "Roxeth, Trinity Grammar School". Signed lower right: "JStewart".

Artwork - Sunninghill / by Joy Stewart, 1979

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Preliminary sketch of 'Sunninghill', 228 Cotham Road, Kew by the artist Joy Stewart.

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "Sunninghill". Signed and dated by the artist: "JStewart, September 1979"

Artwork - Derham House, Ruyton / by Joy Stewart, circa 1978

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Prelimiinary sketch of 'Derham House, Ruyton' by the artist Joy Stewart.

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "Derham House, Ruyton".

Artwork - Merritt House, Trinity Grammar School / by Joy Stewart

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Prelimiinary sketch of 'Merritt House, Trinity Grammar School' by the artist Joy Stewart. Another drawing by the artist of Merritt House is included in 1980.0037.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "Merritt House, Trinity Grammar School". c.1978.

Artwork - 14-16 Princess Street, Kew / by Joy Stewart, circa 1978

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pencil, pen & Ink sketch on paper of the pair of two-storey terrace houses at 14-16 Princess Street, Kew by the artist Joy Stewart.

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "14-16 Princess Street, Kew". Signed lower right: "JStewart".

Artwork - Terrace Houses [Doona Avenue] / by Joy Stewart, circa 1978

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Two preliminary sketches of the terrace houses at 7 and 9 Doona Avenue, Kew. See 1980.0024 for a more complete monochrome drawing.

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Signed: "JStewart".

Artwork - Terrace House / by Joy Stewart, circa 1978

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pencil, pen & ink sketch on paper of a two-storey terrace house by the artist Joy Stewart.

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "Terrace House". Signed lower right: "JStewart"

Artwork - 14 Marshall Avenue, Kew / by Joy Stewart, circa 1978

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pencil, pen & Ink sketch on paper of 14 'Marshall Avenue, Kew' by the artist Joy Stewart.

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "Marshall Avenue - Kew". Signed lower right: "JStewart".

Artwork - Peel Street, Kew

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pencil, pen & Ink sketch on paper of a two storey residence with tower in 'Peel Street, Kew' by the artist Joy Stewart.

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "Peel Street, Kew". Signed lower right: "JStewart".

Artwork - Doona Avenue, Kew / by Joy Stewart, circa 1978

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Incomplete sketch in pencil, pen & ink on paper of two double-storey terraces at 7 and 9 'Doona Avenue, Kew' by the artist Joy Stewart.

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "Doona Avenue, Kew". Signed lower right: "JStewart".

Artwork - Holy Trinity [Church], Kew / by Joy Stewart, circa 1978

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pencil, pen & Ink sketch on paper of 'Holy Trinity, Kew' by the artist Joy Stewart. [Holy Trinity Anglican Church is in High Street, Kew]

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "Holy Trinity, Kew". Signed lower right: "JStewart".

Artwork - South Wing, Xavier College / by Joy Stewart, circa 1978

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pencil, pen & Ink sketch on paper of 'South Wing, Xavier College' by the artist Joy Stewart.

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "South Wing, Xavier College". Signed lower right: "JStewart".

Artwork - Southesk / by Joy Stewart, circa 1978

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pencil, pen & Ink sketch on paper of 'Southesk' (demolished) in Cotham Road, Kew by the artist Joy Stewart. To see the image at the next stage as an image created with watercolour, pen and ink on paper, see 1980.0013.

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "Southesk". Signed lower right: "JStewart". c.1978