Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Kew Historical Society Inc Kew, Victoria

Kew Historical Society was founded in 1958.

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 175 Kew Victoria 3101

Contact

Opening Hours

1. KHS Office & Archive - 1 Civic Drive, Kew VIC 3101. Wednesdays 10.00am - 4.00pm / 2. Exhibitions & Public enquiries - 188 High Street, Kew VIC 3101. Fridays & Saturdays 11am - 1 pm.

Entry Fee

Free entry

Location

1 Civic Drive Kew Victoria

The Kew Historical Society was founded in 1958. Its extensive collection of audiovisual resources, costumes, textiles, books, documents, maps and artefacts have been donated by individuals, families, groups and institutions (including local government) over a sixty-year period. The Society was declared a Class-B Place of Deposit for Government Records in August 2019. The collection includes items of local, statewide and national significance (Russell E, Significance Assessment, 2018) and in 2019/20 received a further grant for a Preservation Needs Assessment from the National Library of Australia. These records are digitised by the Kew Historical Society on Victorian Collections for the purposes of education and preservation. If you believe that we have infringed your copyright please contact us and we will remove the material from the site.

Significance

The collection as a whole fulfills the criteria for very strong historical, aesthetic and research significance at a local level. It also has many outstanding associations with state themes, figures and events and quite a few that resonate at a national level. The costume and textiles, map and picture collections each have very strong historical, research and aesthetic significance of their own accord. The degree of their significance is greatly enhanced by all of the comparative criteria: interpretive value, provenance, condition, integrity, rarity and representativeness.

The costume collection has a very high degree of aesthetic significance for its beauty, quality and workmanship. There are some items that are associated with nationally significant designers, or with Kew donors who have made an impact on society at a local and a state level (ie Prue Acton, Jinoel of Melbourne, Oggi Fashion House). The strong degree of provenance and high quality of the design and dressmaking that went into the production of these clothes strengthens the research significance of this sub-collection for those interested in fashion, textiles and dressmaking. This costume collection includes items that date back to the 1850s (patchwork Denbigh quilt) through to the 1980s, and that reflect changing styles, technologies, textiles and production methods.

The picture collection has some items that have high local significance such as the Josiah Barnes photograph ‘Kew proclaimed a city’, which was taken on that day – 10 March 1921, and the ‘Unveiling of the Kew War Memorial’ on August 30 1925 in front of an audience of over 5,000 people and presided over by the Kew Mayor and the Governor of Victoria. Both of these important images also have significance to state and national processes of municipal development and memorializing war. The mayoral portraits (part of the picture collection) have a very high degree of historical and research significance for their associations, enhanced by strong provenance and technical qualities. Eminent photographers took many of the portraits and the subjects are people who have made a significant contribution to the welfare and development of Kew and, in the case of some of the Mayors in this collection, of the state or even the nation. This includes people such as Stanley Argyle (Premier of Victoria 1932-35) and William Kerr (influential businessman and federal government advisor in the early decades of the 20th century). The significance threshold of this sub-collection is therefore likely to be of state significance at the least.

The maps and plans number some 300 or more and include some fascinating and important maps beyond the MMBW sub-collection that, itself, holds some unique items and has been discussed at length in this report. Other much earlier and hand drawn maps such as ‘Back to Kew’ (c.1875) and ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ (undated) are historically fascinating. In the case of ‘Back to Kew’ it is the detail of the built, natural and social landscape of Kew, which was also annotated and added to several times in subsequent decades to show the development of the area. In the case of ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ it is the careful recording of the garden layout and the nature of domesticity in these early days of European settlement that is both fascinating and rare to find in any local history collection. While not all the items are original the map and plan collection has a very high degree of historical and research significance.

Provenance for much of the collection is strong, and therefore supportive of its historical, research and interpretive value. Certainly the interpretive capacity for understanding a detailed and nuanced history of Kew on many levels, as well as touching or reflecting on wider stories on a state or national stage is very high.

Russell, Emma, 'Kew Historical Society Significance Assessment | Collection', [email protected], 2018

Cameron Auty 26 April 2016 9:48 AM

Amazing hat collection, these are a great addition to the site - Site admin.

Leave a comment

3064 items with images

Postcard (copy) - Sacred Heart Church, Kew

Sacred Heart Church, Kew, Vic., circa 1920-54. Reproduction of a Rose Stereograph Co. postcard in the State Library of Victoria.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: The Rose Series P. 13053, Sacred Heart Church, Kew, Vic." Annotation in pencil: "KH-5. Foundation Stone laid 1918, completed 1921."

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Theatre Programme - While the Sun Shines / performed by the Kew Light Opera Company

Key words

kew light opera company
while the sun shines (terence rattigan)
performing arts
theatre (kew)

Souvenir programme isued by the Kew Light Opera Company for a performance of 'While the Sun Shines', a comedy in three acts by Terence Rattigan.The programme is undated. The programme forms part of a scrapbook that includes programmes, photographs and theatre reviews for the Kew Light Opera Company and later "Q" Theatre Guild.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Footwear - Silver Leather Shoes / by Footrest

Key words

women's shoes

Pair of silver leather women’s evening shoes with silver leather bows at the front. Manufactured by Footrest shoes.

Inscriptions & Markings

Made by Footrest / Leather Uppers / Linings / and / Soles

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Digital Photograph - Kew Croquet Club, Victoria Park (Kew), 2014

Key words

kew croquet club - kew (vic)

Born digital image of a seat at the Kew Croquet Club.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Personal Accessory - Handheld Fan: Paper, Wood, Metal, 1875-1900

Key words

fashion and textiles collection
fashion accessories
fans
cockade fans

Black paper, wood and metal cockade fan

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Artwork - Sunninghill / by Joy Stewart, 1979

Key words

joy stewart
sunninghill (cotham road)
cotham road (kew)

Preliminary sketch of 'Sunninghill', 228 Cotham Road, Kew by the artist Joy Stewart.

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "Sunninghill". Signed and dated by the artist: "JStewart, September 1979"

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph - D'Estaville, Barry Street, Kew

D'Estaville, Barry Street, Kew, This view of the bluestone house is taken from the western side. The front entrance, originally facing Studley Park Road is set into the southern side of the house.

Historical information

D'Estaville was built for Sir William Stawell in Studley Park, Kew in the 1850s. Later occupants include the artist Alma Figuerola.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Footwear - Two Tone Shoes / by Urminati

Pair of open-toed, sling-back two-tone red and white women's shoes. Stamped on the red partial upper is the Italian designer’s name, Urbinati.

Inscriptions & Markings

URBINATI / Made in Italy VERO / CUOIO / Made in Italy / 38 1/2

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph - Centenary Celebrations, Willsmere [Kew] Mental Hospital, 1972

Key words

willsmere mental hospital
willsmere unit
kew mental hospital
kew lunatic asylum
willsmere hospital

One of a series of photographs of the centenary celebrations at the Willsmere Mental Hospital in 1972.

Historical information

This photograph is part of a series taken at the Willsmere (Kew) Mental Hospital. The photographs were gifted to the Kew Historical Society in 2018 by Rosemary Barnes. The photos had been in the possession of her former husband, Dr Fred Stamp, the last medical superintendent of the hospital. In 2019, the photographs were transferred to the State Archives as Permanent Government Records, as the Society is only entitled as a Class-B Place of Deposit to hold Temporary Government Records. The Society was permitted to keep and publish a digital copy of each photograph. Many of the photographs include information on the reverse about individuals or locations. Where this is the case, these have been published here as images that can be viewed in the picture carousel. Permission for third parties to reproduce this record must be granted by the Public Record Office Victoria.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Subdivision Plan - Old Kew Golf Links Estate, 1927

Key words

subdivisions - kew (vic)
kew golf links estate

6 page illustrated brochure advertising the third section of a major subdivision in Kew in 1927 including 75 charming home allotments and 7 valuable building sites. The brochure includes the subdivision plan. The front cover includes a colour illustration of the almost completed houses in Woolcock Avenue. Streets named include: Kilby Road, Kodak Avenue, Baker Avenue, Mathers Avenue, Coleman Avenue, White Avenue and Belford Road. Lots for sale are numbered. Existing buildings are designated with a square.

Historical information

The booklet advertises the third sale within the Old Golf Links Estate which was a major subdivision of farmland in North Kew in the 1920s

Significance

The subdivision of the Kew Golf Links Estate was a major subdivision of farmland in Kew. The site was at one stage designated for industrial development and the building of a new Kodak factory. The decision by Council to oppose the redevelopment makes the beginning of the period when all industrial development was banned in Kew.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph - Bronze Sculpture : Boy with Girl, Leopoldine Mimovich, 1990

Key words

artists - kew (vic)
leopoldine (poldi) mimovich

Black and white photograph of sculpture or sculptures by Leopoldine Mimovich photographed in her home at 31 Miller Grove, Kew

Historical information

The Austrian-born sculptor Leopoldine Mimovich was a prominent artist who lived and worked in Kew. Examples of her sculptures in Kew can be found in the Kew Library and in the Alexandra Gardens.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Postcard - General View of Collins Street From Treasury

Key words

collins street - melbourne, postcards

Postcard depicting Collins Street looking west from Spring Street.

Significance

The item forms part of the Laurie Bennett collection of thirty-six postcards and photographs of Kew and early Melbourne, donated to the Kew Historical Society in 1980. The postcards in the Bennett collection, like other images in the Society's holdings date from the 1890s to the present and comprehensively indicate points-of-view or scenes considered historically, aesthetically or socially significant in the period in which they were produced.

Inscriptions & Markings

Reg-No-KH.392 (obsolete number). Donated by L. Bennett

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph - Floods in North Kew, 1934

Key words

floods (kew) 1934
yarra river

Floods in North Kew, 1934. Unidentified location on the Yarra Flood Plain at Kew.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph [copy] - Pte. Charles Field Richardson, 1914

Key words

pte. charles field richardson
charles richardson
world war one

A half length portrait of Charles Richardson, the brother of the historian Dorothy Rogers, who enlisted in 1914. Pte. Charles Field Richardson fought and was wounded at Gallipoli. He died of his wounds in Alexandria after being wounded at Gallipoli.

Historical information

This work forms part of the collection assembled by the historian Dorothy Rogers, that was donated to the Kew Historical Society by her son John Rogers in 2015. The manuscripts, photographs, maps, and documents were sourced by her from both family and local collections or produced as references for her print publications. Many were directly used by Rogers in writing ‘Lovely Old Homes of Kew’ (1961) and 'A History of Kew' (1973), or the numerous articles on local history that she produced for suburban newspapers. Most of the photographs in the collection include detailed annotations in her hand. The Rogers Collection provides a comprehensive insight into the working habits of a historian in the 1960s and 1970s. Together it forms the largest privately-donated collection within the archives of the Kew Historical Society.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Book - Civvy Symphony, December, 1946 : the world since V.P. day / cartooned by Armstrong of the Argus, 1946

Key words

civvy symphony
ian armstrong
the argus

Civvy Symphony, December, 1946 : the world since V.P. day / cartooned by Armstrong of the Argus. Ian Armstrong 1903-78. Mont Albert [Vic.] : Edgar J.K. Thompson for the Argus and Australasian Ltd., 1946 48 p. : chiefly ill. (some col.) ; 31 cm. "

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Certificate - 1st Kew (Flinders) Life Membership in the Rover Scout Hostel on the Bogong High Plains, 1938

Key words

bogong rover chalet
scouts - kew (vic)
1st kew scouts

Rover Scout Hostel Membership Certificate. Printed card with a photograph of the original Bogong Rover Chalet, bottom right.

Historical information

The Rover Scouts section catered for young men aged 18 years and over. Rover Scout Crews typically took the name of a famous person in Australian history; hence the 1st Kew Rover Crew styled itself as the Flinders Rover Crew. Life memberships were sold to Rover Crews in 1938 as a fundraiser to cover the cost of the building of what was to become known as the Bogong Rover Chalet, which was built in 1940 and still operates.

Inscriptions & Markings

“This is to Certify that the 1st Kew (Flinders) Rover Scout Crew holds one Life Membership in the Rover Scout Hostel on the Bogong High Plains”.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Souvenirs - Kew Bowling Club / Spoons & Forks

Key words

kew bowling club - wellington street - kew (vic)
clubs - lawn bowls - kew (vic)
souvenir spoons

Four items of cutlery produced by the Kew Bowling Club as souvenirs and mementos. [The item is part of the large historic Kew Bowling Club collection (1880-1988) gifted to the Kew Historical Society in 2020].

Historical information

Sports Clubs in Kew in the final decades of the 19th century and in the early 20th century were often umbrella organisations with facilities for a number of sports. Typically in Kew, this included teams in lawn bowls, tennis and croquet. The Kew Bowling Club was formed in 1880 while the privately owned Auburn Heights Recreation Club was opened in 1904. By 1998, the two Clubs decided to amalgamate at the Auburn Heights site in Barkers Road, forming the Kew Heights Sports Club. The combined club was itself taken over by the Melbourne Cricket Club in 2012 becoming MCC Kew Sports Club. In 2017 MCC Kew closed and its landholding was subsequently sold to Carey Baptist Grammar School. Both the Kew and Auburn Heights Clubs assembled important collections. These historically significant and large collections were donated to the Society in 2020. The collections include manuscripts, pictures, trophies, plans, honour boards etc. References Barnard FGA 1910, 'Sports and Pastimes' in Jubilee History of Kew Victoria: Its origin & progress 1803-1910. Nixon NV 1980, The History of the Kew Bowling Club 1880-1980. Reeve S 2012, City of Boroondara: Thematic Environmental History, p.216.

Significance

The combined collections of the four sporting clubs making up the collection number hundreds of items that are historically significant locally. They are also significant to the sporting history of the greater Melbourne area and to the sports of lawn bowls and tennis in Australia in the 19th and 20th centuries. The collection illuminates two of the Victorian historic themes - 'Building community life' through forming community organisations and 'Shaping cultural and creative life' by participating in sport and recreation.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph - Burke Hall, Xavier Preparatory School, circa 1930

Key words

burke hall
studley hall
xavier preparatory school
kew
studley park
dorothy rogers
chapel oval
jack gervasoni oval
burke hall chapel
studley oval
charles griffiths

A panoramic photograph of the grounds of Xavier Preparatory School taken from the vicinity of Studley House, looking north east towards Burke Hall (originally Studley Hall). The foreground to the left of the chapel is an oval known as the Chapel Oval (later known as Studley Oval). The ground to the right front is now known as the Jack Gervasoni oval. The house to the far right (part view) is "Campion".

Historical information

This work forms part of the collection assembled by the historian Dorothy Rogers, that was donated to the Kew Historical Society by her son John Rogers in 2015. The manuscripts, photographs, maps, and documents were sourced by her from both family and local collections or produced as references for her print publications. Many were directly used by Rogers in writing ‘Lovely Old Homes of Kew’ (1961) and 'A History of Kew' (1973), or the numerous articles on local history that she produced for suburban newspapers. Most of the photographs in the collection include detailed annotations in her hand.

Significance

The Rogers Collection provides a comprehensive insight into the working habits of a historian in the 1960s and 1970s. Together it forms the largest privately-donated collection within the archives of the Kew Historical Society.

Inscriptions & Markings

Burke Hall (Xavier Prep.) formerly Waverley. Built by Charles Griffiths ca. 1869 (Panoramic view from East [sic])

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Costume - Uniform for Female Librarians, Kew Library, 1972

Key words

uniforms - public libraries - kew (vic)
women's clothing - uniforms
kew municipal library

Royal blue Kew Library uniform, manufactured by Neat & Trim Career Wear. The fabric is 65% polyester and 45% viscose. It is buttoned at the front.

Historical information

Female librarians at the Kew Municipal Library in the City of Kew (Vic) were in the past required to wear standard royal blue uniforms. This uniform, the earlier of two in the collection was manufactured by Neat & Trim Career Wear.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Dress - Green Satin Cocktail Dress, 1954

Key words

royal visit (victoria) 1954,
gwen steele
women's clothing
australian fashion - 1950s
cocktail dresses

Emerald green, satin cocktail dress with shoe-string straps.

Historical information

The Fashion & Textiles collections of Kew Historical Society include a number of textiles, as well as women’s, men’s, children’s and infants’ clothing from the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. Textiles include items manufactured or created in the United Kingdom as well as in Australia. As other cultures opened to Australian travellers in the 20th century, members began collecting and donating textiles produced in a number of other countries. Fashion (or clothing/costumes) in the collection was essentially produced for, or purchased by women in Melbourne, and includes examples of outerwear, protective wear, nightwear, underwear and costume accessories. Historically significant and well-provenanced donations to the Fashion & Textiles Collection were made by Mabel Isola Grattan (Coombs Collection), Netta Fuller, Jillian Rigby (Weir Collection) and Dione McIntyre (McIntyre Collection). In 2018, the National Library of Australia funded a significance assessment of the Fashion Collection. The assessment confirmed the significance of particular items, as well as the collection overall. This emerald green, satin evening dress, owned by Gwen Steele, was worn by her to a reception for Queen Elizabeth II in 1954 at Government House, Melbourne. The personalised printed invitations are kept in a Reference File, sub-series 'Gwen Steele'.]

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph - Kew Congregational Church, South Esk, circa 1900

Key words

congregational church - kew (vic)
south esk - south esk - ordsall - kew (vic)

Members of the Kew Congregational Church in front of one of the verandas of Southesk, circa 1900.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Wallpaper - Wallpaper from 'Reno', St John's Parade [Kew]

Key words

wallpaper
samuel cocking
reno, st john's parade, kew

Wallpaper fragment from ‘Reno’. This small fragment is part of the larger design shown in the previous sample (1971.0002.5). It includes a detail of the trellis element from the larger scheme.

Historical information

Comparatively few weatherboard houses in Kew survived from the early years of settlement into the second half of the 20th century. One such property was ‘Reno’, which once stood on the east side of St John’s Parade. Its earliest recorded owner was the architect Samuel Cocking who lived there from c.1865 until his death in 1888. The original landholding was bordered by Cotham Road, Glenferrie Road, Wellington Street, and Charles Street. The southern portion of this land included a fine orchard, with many imported trees. The old summer house, at first in the orchard, was later removed to the house garden. The MMBW Detail Plan No.1576 (1904) shows the remaining portion of the original land holding, including a semi-circular pathway at the front, and garden features such as an aviary, a fountain and grotto, and a fernery. None of these are apparent in photographs dating from the 1960s, where the garden, which once included rare plants provided by Baron Von Mueller, surrounds the cottage in a tangled frenzy. Despite a ‘local significance’ classification by the National Trust, the house was demolished in 1971.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Caftan - Gold Silk Brocade Caftan / by Decor

Key words

australian fashion - 1960s
women's clothing
evening wear
mcintyre collection
caftans
fashion designers - decor

Full length brocade caftan highlighted on the long sleeves and the front with bands of gold brocade.

Historical information

The Fashion & Design collection of Kew Historical Society includes examples of women’s, men’s, children’s and infants' clothing from the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. While the collection includes some examples of international fashion, most items were handmade or purchased in Melbourne. Significant and extensive donations to this collection were made by Mabel Isola Grattan (Coombs Collection), Netta Fuller, Jillian Rigby (Weir Collection) and Dione McIntyre (McIntyre Collection). This caftan is one of a number of evening dresses donated to the Fashion Collection by Dione McIntyre.

Significance

The McIntyre Collection forms one of the largest single donations to the Kew Historical Society's Fashion & Design collection. Items include clothing and clothing accessories worn by four women in the Cohen and McIntyre families. Most were owned and worn by the Melbourne architect, and Kew resident, Dione McIntyre. These date from the 1960s and 1970s, and include evening wear, day wear, hats and shoes. The collection also includes items worn by woman in the family of an earlier generation: by Lilian Cohen, Dione McIntyre's mother, and by her mother-in-law, the wife of the architect Robert McIntyre. At the other end of the chronological spectrum a number of outfits belonged to her daughter, Annie McIntyre. These include outfits created by notable late 20th century Australian and international fashion designers, including Fiona Scanlan, Martin Grant and Vivienne Westwood. The collection includes examples of design that demonstrate changing tastes in fashion over an 80-year period.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label: DECOR

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph - Dr. Retallick, Medical Superintendent, Kew Mental Hospital, 1950-1952

Key words

kew lunatic asylum
kew mental hospital
willsmere
kew hospital for the insane
dr fred stamp
the fred stamp collection
dr. retallick, medical superintendent, kew mental hospital, 1950-1952

Formal photograph used for exhibition purposes at the Willsmere Hospital of past medical superintendents. Each photograph is framed with a white mount on which the name of the superintendent and his term of office is recorded.

Historical information

The new Kew Lunatic Asylum was completed in 1871 and opened in 1872. The year 1972 marked it's centenary. Over the years, members of staff at the asylum collected records, photographs, publications and plans of the asylum, later hospital. The Society has a number of important collections relating to the asylum and the Children's Cottages. These include the Dr Cliff Judge, the Irena Higgins and the Dr Fred Stamp Collections. This portrait photograph is one of a number of items donated by the family of the late Dr. Fred Stamp who was the last medical superintendent of the Hospital. Dr Frederick Stamp graduated from Bristol Medical School (UK) in 1968. He and his family emigrated to Australia in 1977 to Goulburn (NSW), moving to Melbourne in 1980. He became Superintendent at Willsmere in 1981 until its closure in 1988.

Significance

Following their closure, the medical records of the Kew Mental Hospital and the Children's Cottages Kew were relocated to the archives of Victorian Government departments and ultimately to the Public Records Office of Victoria. Other collections, such as the Fred Stamp Collection, were assembled by staff who worked at the hospital. The years leading up to the closure of Kew must have been fraught, and many of the items in the hospital were probably destined for hard waste disposal. Dr. Fred Stamp, the last medical superintendent, kept aside or rescued a number of these items, of which this is one. Following his death, his family donated these to the Kew Historical Society. The Society recognises these items to be of lasting historical significance, essentially due to their provenance and to their rarity. Together they (and the Judge and Higgins Collections) are an invaluable aid for researchers of the institutions' histories.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Book - The Narrative of George Russell of Golf Hill with Russelliana and selected papers / edited by P.L. Brown

Key words

russell family
clyde company
voyages and travels

London : Oxford University Press, 1935 469 p. : ill. map, ports., geneal. table ; 25 cm.

Historical information

Kew Historical Society, founded in 1958, has an extensive reference library, of which this book is a part. Volumes in the library are used by members for research into aspects of local history and/or to support the Society's collections of pictures, maps, fashion and artefacts. Reference books have entered the collection through donation, presentation, collection and purchase.

Significance

The volume formed part of the professional library of the historian Dorothy Rogers.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph - Scene at Healesville / [by] Nicholas Caire, circa 1876

Key words

nicholas caire (1837-1918)
australia - landscape photography

Views of Victoria (General Series) No.24 / ‘Scene at Healesville’ / Albumen silver photograph mounted on card

Historical information

Nicholas Caire was born on Guernsey in the Channel Islands in 1837. He arrived in Adelaide with his parents in about 1860. In 1867, following photographic journeys in Gippsland, he opened a studio in Adelaide. From 1870 to 1876 he lived and worked in Talbot in Central Victoria. In 1876 he purchased T. F. Chuck's studios in the Royal Arcade Melbourne. In 1885, following the introduction of dry plate photography, he began a series of landscape series, which were commercially successful. As a photographer, he travelled extensively through Victoria, photographing places few of his contemporaries had previously seen. He died in 1918. Reference: Jack Cato, 'Caire, Nicholas John (1837–1918)', Australian Dictionary of Biography.

Significance

An original, rare photograph from the series 'Views of Victoria: General Series' by the photographer, Nicholas Caire (1837-1918). The series of 60 photographs that comprise the series was issued c. 1876 and reinforced a neo-Romantic view of the Australian landscape to which a growing nationalist movement would respond. Nicholas Caire was active as a photographer in Australia from 1858 until his death in 1918. His vision of the Australian bush and pioneer life had a counterpart in the works of Henry Lawson and other nationalist poets, authors and painters.

Inscriptions & Markings

On Reverse: ‘After leaving the villages of Lilydale and S. Hubert the scenery commences to assume a very wild and romantic appearance. The country becomes exceedingly undulatory, and the belts of densely packed scrub, present altogether a very different appearance from the more settled and cultivated districts. Our illustration is taken from one of the many creeks which surround the rising township of Healesville.’

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph - Ama Figuerola and Robert Helpman

Key words

alma figuerola album
arists - kew (vic)
art exhibitions - kew (vic)
sir robert menzies

An undated photograph of the dancer Robert Helpman with a group including his friend, Alma Figuerola, to his right.

Historical information

The Melbourne artist Alma Agnes Marion Figuerola, was the daughter of Juan Pedro Narciso Figuerola (1869-1919) and Alice Lucinda Walker Hanson (1889-1969). Each of their three daughters grew up to be involved in the arts: Alma as a painter; Carmen Irene (1906-1993) as a short story writer, poet and teacher of dancing; and Sylvia (also Silvia) Lyla Alice (1911-1992) as a composer and cellist. The first art lessons Alma Figuerola received were with Oscar Binder. Later she attended the art school established by the Melbourne 'tonalist' [Duncan] Max Meldrum (1875-1955). She graduated from his school in 1920, participating in her first group exhibition in the same year. Solo exhibitions of her work were to be held in 1933 at the Meldrum Gallery in Elizabeth Street, in 1937 and 1945 at the Athenaeum Gallery at 188 Collins Street, and in 1951 at Georges Gallery in Collins Street. Throughout her extensive career she participated in group exhibitions, usually with artists of the Meldrum School, and as a member of the Twenty Melbourne Painters, of which she was invited to become an associate in 1935. In 1953, her portrait of Professor ES Hills was entered in the Archibald Prize Competition of the Art Gallery of New South Wales. A resident of Kew from the 1930s - 51 Studley Park Road, often with her mother, her sister Carmen, or both - from c.1942 until her death she lived at 'D’Estaville', 7 Barry Street. From the late 1930s she is recorded as actively contributing to the arts at a local level. In 1939 and 1940 she participated in art exhibitions at the Hawthorn Municipal Library organised by Jessie Carbines. From 1944 to 1951 she co-organised successive Kew Arts Festivals, initially in the Presbyterian Church Hall in Highbury Grove and later at the Recreation Hall in Wellington Street. A foundation member of the Kew Historical Society in 1958, Alma Figuerola remained an active member of the Society until her death on 8 December 1970. She predeceased her two sisters who both died in the 1990s and who are buried at Andersons' Creek Cemetery in Warrandyte.

Inscriptions & Markings

Reverse: "Robert Helpman Miss Figuerola" Also photographer's stamp: "Australian Consolidated Press - Feature - Copyright - Sydney Australia

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Book - Melbourne: John Batman’s village / by Agnes Paton Bell

Key words

batman, john, 1801-1839
melbourne (vic.) -- history.
settlement and contacts - colonisation - 1851-

Melbourne, Vic. : Cassell Australia, 1965 xiv, 178p. : ill. (some col.), facsims., map, porto. ; 25cm.

Historical information

Kew Historical Society, founded in 1958, has an extensive reference library, of which this book is a part. Volumes in the library are used by members for research into aspects of local history and/or to support the Society's collections of pictures, maps, fashion and artefacts. Reference books have entered the collection through donation, presentation, collection and purchase.

Significance

The volume formed part of the professional library of the historian Dorothy Rogers.

Inscriptions & Markings

Owner signature: Dorothy Rogers

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Postcard - Trams at Kew Depot

Key words

tramways - kew, kew tramways depot,

Postcard produced c.1991 to commemorate 75 Years of Service of The Kew Depot (1915/16-1991). The postcard shows two trams at the depot. The details are included in the information provided on the reverse.

Inscriptions & Markings

W Class 892 waits for its next duty while visiting. V Class 214 is ready for special work. Photo by R.J. Marsh. T101. Copyright Biscay Greetings Pty. Ltd. Telephone (03) 562 3599

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Dress - Shot Silk Dance Frock & Wrap / by Park Avenue Gowns, 1960

Key words

women's clothing
cocktail dresses
dance frocks
australian fashion - 1960s
fashion designers - melbourne (vic) - park avenue gowns

Metallic thread silk cocktail dress and wrap by Park Avenue Gowns, 1960. Virtually identical dresses by the designer were featured in the Australian Women's Weekly in 1960, described as 'dance frocks', to which the wide flairing skirt would be well suited.

Historical information

The Fashion & Textiles collections of Kew Historical Society include a number of textiles, as well as women’s, men’s, children’s and infants’ clothing from the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. Textiles include items manufactured or created in the United Kingdom as well as in Australia. As other cultures opened to Australian travellers in the 20th century, members began collecting and donating textiles produced in a number of other countries. Fashion (or clothing/costumes) in the collection was essentially produced for, or purchased by women in Melbourne, and includes examples of outerwear, protective wear, nightwear, underwear and costume accessories. Historically significant and well-provenanced donations to the Fashion & Textiles Collection were made by Mabel Isola Grattan (Coombs Collection), Netta Fuller, Jillian Rigby (Weir Collection) and Dione McIntyre (McIntyre Collection). In 2018, the National Library of Australia funded a significance assessment of the Fashion Collection. The assessment confirmed the significance of particular items, as well as the collection overall. This 'dance frock' by Park Avenue Gowns is one of a number of garments in the collection by this designer.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label : "Park Avenue Gowns"

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew