The museum holds a collection representing the social history of Kyneton and district. The museum is owned and operated by the Macedon Ranges Shire Council.
The Kyneton Museum Collection is a socila history collection of Kyneton and districts that reflects the lives of residents from early settlement to around the 1930s. The collection consists of approximately 9,000 items ranging from fine china, lace and furniture to agricultural equipment, wagons, carriages, costumes and saddles, tools and harness. The collection is housed in a historic bluestone building, the former Bank of New South Wales built in 1856 and the museum has a number of outbuildings including the kitchen, wash house, stables and an early settlers cottage.
Themes: Connecting Victorians by transport and communications, Building community life