Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society Lake Bolac, Victoria

Historical Society for Lake Bolac and surrounding district.

Contact Information

location
P.O. Box 12 Lake Bolac Victoria 3351 (map)
phone
+61 +61 3 5337 6011

Contact

Opening Hours

3rd Sunday of Month 10am-4pm

Entry Fee

No entry fee.

Location

2110 Glenelg Highway Lake Bolac Victoria

View on Google Maps

Photographs, negatives, documents and a small quantity of negatives

Significance

A comprehensive visual collection depicting Lake Bolac and district's history

Noel Read 29 June 2015 10:57 AM

What are your opening hours and days, please? My wife and I are travelling to SA to meet up with family on Thursday and my brother-in-law is hoping I may call in to obtain some more info' and take some photo's in Lake Bolac. Our family connections that he has been researching are, James McDonald and Margaret Blanche Hayhoe (maiden name Margaret Blanche Ward) also known as Blanche Mary Hayhoe. Thank you

Karen McIntyre 30 June 2015 9:31 AM

Historical books and photo displays available daily at the Lake Bolac Information Centre 2110 Glenelg Highway, Lake Bolac. Open 10am-5pm weekdays, 10am-4pm weekends.

noel mcadie 24 July 2017 9:40 AM

You had a soft cover book on the history of the district. Please - a. is it still available? b. does it mention David Aitken and his wife and children? I am a genealogist and trying to confirm David's place in Aitken Family.

Leave a comment

161 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (160) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

161 items

Black and white photograph - Louis Park's Saddlery Shop, Montgomery St., Lake Bolac, 1946.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Louis Park's Saddlery Shop, Montgomery St., Lake Bolac, in 1946. The shop later became Jock and Margaret Low's Hardware Store. The van depicted belonged to a Mr Jock Lindros and was originally a bakers van,

Black and white photograph - Fiery Creek Entrance

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Fiery Creek inlet to Lake Bolac during the 1997-2010 drought. Photograph taken from the dry lake-bed looking up the creek, towards the south.

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac Overflow and Weir, circa 1949.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac. The concrete weir and water-level adjusted overflow into the man-made channel into Salt Creek on the south side of the lake, circa 1949. The Moreton family is playing in the shallow trickle of water. Malin's windmill and pump can be seen on the bank in the background.

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac Knitters, 1918.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac State School, No 854, Knitters (for the soldiers) Group - 1918. Back: Molly Green, Maisie McMaster, Mary Helme, "Doll" Peters. 2nd row: Mrs Cameron (teacher), Mary Pitkethly, May Peters, Gladys Knight, Eva Graham. 3rd row: Sheila Murray, May Dear, Lila Murray, Betty Calder, Rosy King, Nell O'Rorke. 4th row: Lori Park, Gertie Fry, Doreen Helme, Maisie Lyndon, Eileen Graham. 5th row: June Wileman, Maisie Scott, Beryl Peters, 'Ina Wills, Emily Wileman.

Colour photograph - Lake Bolac Flax Mill, 1960.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Aerial view of the Lake Bolac Flax Mill, circa 1960. Note the pump housing in front of Guy Rance's home, the polluted water entering the lake from the pipeline and the stooks of flax to the left of the road opposite the Mill.

Colour photograph - Jan. 2011 Flood, Lake Bolac and Salt Creek.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Jan. 2011 Flood. Debouchment from Lake Bolac into Salt Creek through the natural overflow (centre) and the channel (front left) dug in the 1920's. Photograph courtesy Bill Sharp.

black & white photograph - The Woolshed, Lake Boloke Station, 1894.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

The Woolshed of Lake Boloke Station, 1894. The woolshed was built by Robert Patterson but at this time was owned by the Moffat family. Identified persons in the photograph are Neil Graham, Dave Sago (with beard, seated centre) and Bill Pitkethly. "Boloke" is a local aboriginal word meaning 'lake'.

On Parade, members of the Lake Bolac Light Horse encamped at Warrnambool, circa 1935.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Members of the Lake Bolac Light Horse on parade at their encampment beside the Hopkins River at Warrnambool. On left, Charles Geddes, Lewis Wills, 4th from left, James Geddes 5th and JT Murray, 2nd from right.

Black and white photograph - Moretons and Clarkes of Lake Bolac

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Mr WH Clarke & Mrs Clarke, Mrs Moreton & Mr JK Moreton of Boswell Park, Lake Bolac.

Black and white photograph - Bank of New South Wales Lake Bolac

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

black and white photograph

Historical information

The Bank of New South Wales, Lake Bolac. Originally the National Bank taken over in 1922 by the Bank of NSW. The Bank operated out of these premises until a new bank was built on the site in c1963. The Bank of NSW closed in 1995.

Black and white photograph - Josiah and Mary Park

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Josiah and Mary Park, (1867) of Lake Bolac.

Lake Bolac Brass Band photo - Lake Bolac Brass Band

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

black and white photograph

Black and white photograph - Bullock drawn wool wagon, "Eilyer".

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Bullock wagon carting "Eilyer" wool in November, 1903. Wagon carrying 72 bales or 13 tons of wool. Team is driven by J E Fry.

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac Croquet Club. Circa 1940

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac Croquet Club members at "Bellevue", the home of Mr & Mrs Bert Moreton, circa 1940.

Black and white photograph - W.E. Veale Senior 1839-1911

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

black and white photograph

Historical information

This photo shows Mr William E. Veale Senior, owner of the Lake Bolac Store from 1874 to 1938.

Colour photograph - Wickliffe Flood, Jan .2011.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Wickliffe, the flooded Hopkins River flowing from left to right, both under and over the bridge, showing the inundated Glenelg Highway and township. January, 2011. Photograph courtesy James Davidson.

Black and white photograph - William Arthur Park, Corporal 4th Field Artillery Brigade, WW1.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

William Arthur Park, a Corporal in the 4th Field Artillery Brigade. He enlisted 15/07/1915 and his date of embarkation was 18/11/1915. William was awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in France. Upon returning to Australia he took up farming at Mininera in 1920 on land purchased prior to enlistment. He married Caroline Biggin. Unfortunately he never fully recovered from the gas attacks he suffered on the battlefield and died at the early age of 43 in 1928.

Black and white photograph - Flax Field Day at Lake Bolac, 1946.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Local farmers attend a Flax Field Day at "Bellevue", Lake Bolac on 27th November, 1946. Present are, from left: Leo O'Rorke, Fred Moreton, Bill Green, __________, Jock Hucker, Stan Hucker, Henry Clarke.

Black and white photograph - Presbyterian Church Manse, Wickliffe.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Wickliffe Presbyterian Church Manse, courtesy Jean Gorst

Photograph - Lake Bolac State School 1893 - Lake Bolac State School No. 854

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Application was made for a mixed school known as Parupa Common School in 1865. Building by Robert Pitkethley commenced in 1867. The name was changed to Lake Bolac State School No. 854 in 1870. The school was bluestone with galvanised iron roof. 30ft x 18ft x 10ft high with teacher residence attached. The building was used from 1867 to 1925 when it was sold for removal. Photograph shows Teacher William Bartlett and students in 1893.

Black and white photograph - Wickliffe Public hall/Mechanic's Institute, (1912-1996).

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Wickliffe Public Hall/Mechanics Institute, 1912-1996.

Colour photograph - St. Mark's Anglican Church, Lake Bolac.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

St Mark's Anglican Church, Lake Bolac, It was built in 1958 and deconsecrated in 2017. Early Vicars were Mr Williams, Mr Horner and Mr Esperson.

Black and white photograph - Alexander Howlett on his JAP motorbike, Wickliffe.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Wickliffe. Alexander Howlett on his J.A.P. motorbike on the family property, "Wynawang".

Black and white photograph - Saddlery-Sweet Shop Lake Bolac c.1880

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

black and white photograph

Historical information

Thomas Leach and Beatson Pitkethley married in 1880 and had a saddlery and sweet shop in this wooden building. This building was also the first Bush Nursing Centre in 1928. This photo was taken of the building in 1999. It was later demolished.

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac Troop of the 4th/19th Lighthorse Regiment

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Members of the Lake Bolac Troop of the 4th/19 Lighthorse Regiment encamped at Torquay, Victoria. Back from left: Keith Davidson, Alan Hucker, Frank Shalders, Lewis Wills, Neil Robertson, Harold Hildebrandt, Donald Davidson, Eric Hose. Front: Reginald Fagg, Henry Clark, Eric Robertson, Robert Delamare, Henry Gale, Charles Geddes

Black and white photograph - Pte Donald Murray meeting Pte Ray Hargreaves in London during WW1.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Private Donald Hector Murray greeting Private Edward Raymond Hargreaves in London during WW1. Donald enlisted 17/04/1916 in the 37th Infantry Battalion and embarked for Europe 03/06/1916. He died of Tubercular Pleurisy on 21/12/1916 at the Military Hospital, Fargo England, whilst on active service. He is buried in the Durrington Cemetery there. Edward enlisted in the 5th Infantry Battalion on 08/07/1915 and embarked for France 11/10/1915. Upon his return he was granted a Soldier Settler's block west of Lake Bolac in 1921. He married Flora Graham in 1925.

Black and white photograph - "Fintry" Woolshed, 1938

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Shearing Team, 1938, at woolshed of "Fintry" standing in front of triple-A wool bales. Pictured from left are Lewis Whiteway Wills, Guy Rance, Lewis Wills, John Barnes, Jack Meek, Myles Graham, Geoffrey McInnes, Laurie Green and James Wills (right).

Black and white photograph - Vic Peters of Lake Bolac with Horse-team and plough

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Vic Peters of Lake Bolac with horse-team and plough

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac Flax Mill

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Photograph of Lake Bolac Flax Mill boiler house and pits in full production.

Historical information

Photograph of Lake Bolac Flax Mill boiler house and pits in full production. The mill operated between 1942 and 1959 and was located on the shores of Lake Bolac. Local farmers grew flax which was transported into the factory to be processed. The mill employed Land Army girls, locals and migrant workers.

Black and white photograph - Bob McKenzie, carting wool.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Bob McKenzie of Lake Bolac ready to take a load of wool to Geelong on his Chevrolet truck.