Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society Lake Bolac, Victoria

Historical Society for Lake Bolac and surrounding district.

Contact Information

location
P.O. Box 12 Lake Bolac Victoria 3351 (map)
phone
+61 +61 3 5337 6011

Contact

Opening Hours

3rd Sunday of Month 10am-4pm

Entry Fee

No entry fee.

Location

2110 Glenelg Highway Lake Bolac Victoria

View on Google Maps

Photographs, negatives, documents and a small quantity of negatives

Significance

A comprehensive visual collection depicting Lake Bolac and district's history

Noel Read 29 June 2015 10:57 AM

What are your opening hours and days, please? My wife and I are travelling to SA to meet up with family on Thursday and my brother-in-law is hoping I may call in to obtain some more info' and take some photo's in Lake Bolac. Our family connections that he has been researching are, James McDonald and Margaret Blanche Hayhoe (maiden name Margaret Blanche Ward) also known as Blanche Mary Hayhoe. Thank you

Karen McIntyre 30 June 2015 9:31 AM

Historical books and photo displays available daily at the Lake Bolac Information Centre 2110 Glenelg Highway, Lake Bolac. Open 10am-5pm weekdays, 10am-4pm weekends.

noel mcadie 24 July 2017 9:40 AM

You had a soft cover book on the history of the district. Please - a. is it still available? b. does it mention David Aitken and his wife and children? I am a genealogist and trying to confirm David's place in Aitken Family.

Leave a comment

160 items with images

close
Show All Items Items with Images (160) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

160 items with images

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac Tennis Club - Premiers 1937.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac Tennis Club - Premiers 1937. Men, L-R: Bob McKenzie, James Wills, Harold Dixon, Palmer Cheeseman. Ladies, L-R: Muriel Graham, Maude Kinnersley, Maud Wills, Margery Geddes.

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac Public Hall 1896

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

black and white photograph

Historical information

Lake Bolac Public Hall, Mongomery Street in 1896. Weatherboard construction by Mr Ollie Anderson of Ararat. Opened by district MP Mr McLellan. In 1922 this building was relocated across Montgomery Street to become the supper room for the newly erected Memorial Hall honouring World War 1 soldiers.

Black and white photograph - Private George Ford, Wickliffe, WW1.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Private George Ford, Wickliffe, WW1.

Photograph Dixon's Store - Dixon's Store Lake Bolac

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

black and white photograph

Historical information

Dixon's Store Lake Bolac built of locally quarried bluestone in 1868. This photo is circa 1938. Harold Dixon proprietor.

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac State School No. 854, circa 1908.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Pupils and teachers attending the Lake Bolac State School No 854, circa 1908. Back from left: Louis Murray, Mrs J Cameron( Sewing teacher), Boyd Golding, Syd Metherall, Billy Richardson, George Henderson, Bessie Waller, Elsie Park, Isobel Leach, Jessie Leach, Marjorie McMillan, Queenie Cameron ,Mr Pye (Teacher), Vida Golding. Middle: Cliff Murray, Billy Waller, Cyril McMaster, Doris Cameron, Mona McMaster, Rita Golding, Myrtle Golding, Adeline Murphy, Madge Robertson, Kitty Graham, Mary Young, Ann Pitkethly. Front: Alec Murray, Donald Waller, Harry Gale, Les Meek, Eion Murray, Fred Blackham, Les Gale, Fred Walker, Bollie Meek, Jack Young, Lily Blackham, Ruby Young, Minnie Young.

Black and white photograph - Wickliffe State School, No 948. 1921.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

The pupils and staff at the Wickliffe State School, No 948 in 1921. Back: Marg Prust, Inez Farrell, Jean McInnes, Daisy Williamson, Daisy Bowes, Norma McInnes, Nellie Grimmer, Clarice Blackham, Emily Ferguson. 2nd Row: Kath Ford, Bessie Aldridge, Beatrice Farrell, Ruby Prust, Viv Grimmer, Esther Floyd, Elsie Grimmer, Grace Prust, Lucy Bradshaw. 3rd Row: Mollie Egan, Mena Farrell, Ida Lloyd, Frank Turner, Leo Cleary, Charlie Grimmer, Don Grimmer, Gladstone Ferguson, Harry Prust, Lloyd McInnes. Front: Bill Farrell, Stuart McInnes, Don McInnes, Jack Suyenag, Alan Gale, Keith McInnes, Ray Grimmer, Murdoch Ferguson. Teacher, Miss Gwen Evans.

Black and white photograph - Bob McKenzie, carting wool.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Bob McKenzie of Lake Bolac ready to take a load of wool to Geelong on his Chevrolet truck.

Black and white photograph - Gerald Buckley of "Narrapumelap", Wickliffe.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Mr Gerald Buckley of "Narrapumelap", Wickliffe, taking children for a ride at a local picnic. Mr Buckley was the first person in the district to acquire a motor car.

Black and white photograph - Dixon's Store, after 1938.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac Store at the crossroad, owned by Dixon after 1938. This image shows the sign-post at the crossroad intersection and the historic Peppercorn trees planted circa 1910 (pre WW1).

Black and white photograph - Josiah Park's Home built in 1890

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

black and white photograph

Historical information

Bluestone home of Josiah and Mary Park built in 1890 by English stonemason James Murray. Josiah had the blacksmith business next door and built the house and stables to house his family of 12. The laundry and bathroom were detached and water was pumped from a large underground tank by a windmill manufactured in the blacksmith shop. The verandah was added in 1920 and this photo was taken in 1974.

Black and white photograph - Private Hugh Michael O'Rorke, 39th Infantry Brigade, WW1.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Private Hugh O'Rorke enlisted 28/03/1916 in 39th Infantry Battalion and embarked for France 27/05/1916. He was gassed and then severely wounded during the Battle for Broodseinde Ridge on 04/10.1917. After convalescence in England he returned to Australia and was discharged in 1918. He took up a Soldier Settlement block at Westmere and named it Killigrew'. Ray and Jan O'Brien live in the house now.' He was awarded an MBE in 1955 for services to the CFA. He died in 1962, aged 72.

Black and white photograph - Gunner Stanley Herbert Moreton, Field Artillery Brigade, WW1.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Gunner Stanley Herbert Moreton, enlisted 04/12/1916 in a Field Artillery Unit. He embarked for France on 11/05/1917. Upon his return from the war, he purchased 'Parupa Park'. After WW2 Stanley was involved in helping with the subdivision of land for soldier settlement. He died in 1978 at the age of 85.

Black and white photograph - Flax Field Day at Lake Bolac, 1946.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Local farmers attend a Flax Field Day at "Bellevue", Lake Bolac on 27th November, 1946. Present are, from left: Leo O'Rorke, Fred Moreton, Bill Green, __________, Jock Hucker, Stan Hucker, Henry Clarke.

Black and white photograph - Wickliffe State School No 948, 1916.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Pupils and staff at Wickliffe State School no 948, 1916. Teacher: Mr John Aldie. Sewing Teacher: Miss Nell Ford. Back: Donald Gale, Jack Cleary, Alan Grimmer, Fred Prust, Geoff McInnes, Jim Farrell, Claude Pagels, Jim Ford, Albert Smith. 2nd Row: Hilda Farrell, Jean McInnes, Mona Wileman, Inez Farrell, _________, Marg Prust, Sid Prust, Ray Grimmer. 3rd Row: Mary McInnes, Eileen Cleary, Evie Jackson, Nell McInnes, mMillie Blacjham, Stella Pagels, Kathie Ferguson, Gertie Pagels, Bill Blackham. 4th Row: Ruby Prust, Nell Grimmer, Keith McInnes ,_________, G Wileman, ___________. Front: Allan Gale, Robert Stuart McInnes.

Photograph - Blacksmith Shop Lake Bolac - Blacksmith Shop Lake Bolac

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

The Blacksmith Shop was built c. 1965 by Mr Child. It was purchased by his employee Josiah McNickle Park in 1869, who began the business of J.Park & Son Blacksmith & Wheelwright. It is constructed from bluestone and weatherboard. Photograph shows 7 men, 3 horses and assorted tools.

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac state school, No 854. Grades 3/4, 22/09/1933.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac State School, No 854. 22/09/1933. Miss Dorothy Baker (teacher) and Grades 3/4. Students, back: Eric Robertson, Margaret Kinnersley, Arthur Osborne. Front: Geoff Meek, _________ , Jock Hucker, Miriam Meek, _________ .

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac Knitters, 1918.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac State School, No 854, Knitters (for the soldiers) Group - 1918. Back: Molly Green, Maisie McMaster, Mary Helme, "Doll" Peters. 2nd row: Mrs Cameron (teacher), Mary Pitkethly, May Peters, Gladys Knight, Eva Graham. 3rd row: Sheila Murray, May Dear, Lila Murray, Betty Calder, Rosy King, Nell O'Rorke. 4th row: Lori Park, Gertie Fry, Doreen Helme, Maisie Lyndon, Eileen Graham. 5th row: June Wileman, Maisie Scott, Beryl Peters, 'Ina Wills, Emily Wileman.

Black and white photograph - Grubbing rocks at "Boswell Park", Lake Bolac

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Grubbing rocks at "Boswell Park" Lake Bolac, in order to prepare the ground for ploughing and cropping. Most ground on the Western District volcanic plains had to be prepared in this way before the soil could be tilled. "Boswell Park" was run by the Moreton family.

Black and white photograph - Presbyterian Church Manse, Wickliffe.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Wickliffe Presbyterian Church Manse, courtesy Jean Gorst

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac Football Club, Premiers 1923.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac Football Club, Premiers 1923. Lake Bolac 6.4 defeated Willaura 5.7 in the Willaura Plains Football League Back L-R: RM Graham, (Splinter) Taggart, Leo O'Rorke, A Graham, J Borthwick (coach) , Bill Green, Bill Murray, Alec McMaster, JT Murray. Centre L-R: Peter Murray, Jack Cameron, Les Gale, Tom Austin, G Veale, Lou Park, Eddie Gale. Front L-R: RJ Walker, Jack Peters, Ernie Brown, Norman Kinnersley, Vic Peters.

Photograph - Tom Park's traction engine 1920

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

black and white photograph

Historical information

Tom Park's traction engine in 1920. It travelled the district around Lake Bolac with a team of men thrashing wheat.

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac Music Club, performance of "My Fair Lady", 1971.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

The Lake Bolac Music Club was begun in 1950. The first meeting was held on 12/10/1950, 30 members being present. Office Bearers were Henry Clarke (Pres.), Mrs R Critten (Sec.), Mrs L Hucker (Treas.), Committee: Mr G Rance, Mrs L Wills, Mrs Leitman, Mr J Moreton, Mr AE McIntyre (Auditor). The 21st birthday of the club was celebrated with a performance of "My Fair Lady" on 1st & 2nd Oct., 1971. Shown in the Ascot scene, L-R: Joan Moreton, Christina Peters, Jan Facey and Amy Wills (Mrs Eynesford-Hill, Freddy's mother).

Black and white photograph - "Fintry" Lake Bolac

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

The house at "Fintry" Lake Bolac, the home of Lewis Whiteway and Victoria May Wills and family and then of Lewis Wills and his wife Amy and their family. The house was constructed in 1906, the materials having been brought up from Geelong by ox-drawn dray. The fence of the tennis court can be seen extreme right with the bay-window of the sitting room through the wire netting. On the road is a wagon-load of redgum for use as strainer-posts.

Black and white photograph - Lake Boloke Station woolshed

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Black and white photograph

Historical information

The Lake Boloke Station bluestone woolshed is located 4 kilometres north of Lake Bolac on the Back Bolac Road. Originally the main woolshed for the station. It was built by Robert Patterson in the mid 1860's but later owned by the Wills Family, as 'Fintry', following the subdivision of Lake Boloke Station.

black & white photograph - "Bellevue", Lake Bolac

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

"Bellevue" Lake Bolac. From left - Unknown, Nellie Moreton, Bert Moreton

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac, original tennis court, 1895

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

The original tennis court at Lake Bolac in 1895 was located at the Recreation Reserve behind the linear development along the main road. This was a grass court, lines were clearly painted and the tennis-net was a chicken-wire fence. In the photograph are from left; Eva Veale, Alice Veale, Thomas Ward, Annie Veale and William Veale jr.

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac Overflow and Weir, circa 1949.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac. The concrete weir and water-level adjusted overflow into the man-made channel into Salt Creek on the south side of the lake, circa 1949. The Moreton family is playing in the shallow trickle of water. Malin's windmill and pump can be seen on the bank in the background.

Black and white photograph - Leo O'Rorke and George Jobling, circa 1930.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Leo O'Rorke and George Jobling (Bank of NSW), circa 1930.

Black and white photograph - Saddlery-Sweet Shop Lake Bolac c.1880

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

black and white photograph

Historical information

Thomas Leach and Beatson Pitkethley married in 1880 and had a saddlery and sweet shop in this wooden building. This building was also the first Bush Nursing Centre in 1928. This photo was taken of the building in 1999. It was later demolished.

Black and white photograph - Private Louis (Joe) Murdoch Murray, 8th Lighthorse regiment, WW1.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Private Louis (Joe) Murdoch Murray, 8th Light Horse Regiment, WW1. Joe enlisted 15/01/1915 and embarked for overseas on 07/05/1915. He served at Gallipoli and in France where he was badly wounded at the battle of Ypres in 1917. After returning from the war he took up farming on land donated to him by the Austin family. However, he never fully recovered either physically or mentally from his war service and lost his farm in the Depression. He spent his final years in an Old Soldiers Home in Frankston. He is buried in Melbourne.