Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society Lake Bolac, Victoria

Historical Society for Lake Bolac and surrounding district.

Contact Information

location
P.O. Box 12 Lake Bolac Victoria 3351 (map)
phone
+61 +61 3 5337 6011

Contact

Opening Hours

3rd Sunday of Month 10am-4pm

Entry Fee

No entry fee.

Location

2110 Glenelg Highway Lake Bolac Victoria

View on Google Maps

Photographs, negatives, documents and a small quantity of negatives

Significance

A comprehensive visual collection depicting Lake Bolac and district's history

Noel Read 29 June 2015 10:57 AM

What are your opening hours and days, please? My wife and I are travelling to SA to meet up with family on Thursday and my brother-in-law is hoping I may call in to obtain some more info' and take some photo's in Lake Bolac. Our family connections that he has been researching are, James McDonald and Margaret Blanche Hayhoe (maiden name Margaret Blanche Ward) also known as Blanche Mary Hayhoe. Thank you

Karen McIntyre 30 June 2015 9:31 AM

Historical books and photo displays available daily at the Lake Bolac Information Centre 2110 Glenelg Highway, Lake Bolac. Open 10am-5pm weekdays, 10am-4pm weekends.

noel mcadie 24 July 2017 9:40 AM

You had a soft cover book on the history of the district. Please - a. is it still available? b. does it mention David Aitken and his wife and children? I am a genealogist and trying to confirm David's place in Aitken Family.

Leave a comment

161 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (160) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

161 items

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac State School No 854, students of 1921.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac State School students in 1921. Back: Laurie park, Eileen Graham, Maisie Lindonh, Nell O'Rorke, Sheila Murray, Lillian Murray, Emily Wileman, Beryl Peters, June Wileman, Alma Eastick, Chris McKenzie, Innes Geddes, Eunice Wills. 2nd Row: Eddie Kinnersley, Ivan Scott, Colin Graham, Marg. Graham, Dulcie Gange, Del Veale, Joy Gange, Faith Murray, Lorna Peters, Edna Cordy, Enonie Park, Mabel Cordy, Greta Sandford, Lin Cameron, Bert Peters. 3rd Row: Claude Balkin, Graham Murray, Mav Peters, Dave Geddes, Ewan Murray, Wal Dear, Len Park, Arthur Knoght, Frank Graham, Leo Balkin, Alan McCrow, Ray Gale, George Wileman, Joe Cook, Hurtle Eastick, Frank Eastick. Front Row: Horrie Peters, Harold Peters, Alex Scott, Jim Peters, Fred Dear, Bill Kinnersley, Dave Pitkethly, Neil Graham (Rusty), Don Graham, Lou Duncan.

Black and white photograph - "Fintry" Lake Bolac

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

The house at "Fintry" Lake Bolac, the home of Lewis Whiteway and Victoria May Wills and family and then of Lewis Wills and his wife Amy and their family. The house was constructed in 1906, the materials having been brought up from Geelong by ox-drawn dray. The fence of the tennis court can be seen extreme right with the bay-window of the sitting room through the wire netting. On the road is a wagon-load of redgum for use as strainer-posts.

Black and white photograph - Fire-fighting Equipment, circa 1910.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Early horse-drawn fire-fighting cart with hand pump at "Eilyer", Austin's property at Lake Bolac, circa 1910.

Black and white photograph

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac residents George Murray and his wife Frances, circa 1930. They were the parents of Cliff, Faith, Leila and Leo Murray. They are pictured standing in the doorway of the Lake Bolac Post Office.

black & white photograph - Lake Bolac High School Colts Cricket team (early 1960's)

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac High School Colts Cricket Team - early 1960's. Team Members: Back from left - Ken Thom, George Hucker, Russell Park, Kevin Perry, Ivan Hucker, Murray Thom. Centre row - Russell Adams, Richard Thom, Jim Knight, Ern Harkin, Neil Thom, Claude Moore. Front - Allan Knight, Murray Knight, Ron Wilson.

Black and white photograph - Scots Presbyterian Church Lake Bolac, circa 1890.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Scots Presbyterian Church, Lake Bolac. The architect was Mr George Harriot and it was built of local bluestone by stonemason Mr Helme and completed in 1878. The Rev. Mr J S Muir took the opening service. Mrs John Moffat and Mrs William Veale laid the foundation stone. It was furnished by the existing Kauri pews but the present pulpit is not the original. Both Methodist and Anglican services were held in the building in the early years.

black and white photograph - Lake Bolac 1920

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Black and white photograph

Historical information

This photograph of Lake Bolac was taken at the northern, Glenelg Highway end of the lake near the property known as 'Lakeview' - the O'Rorke Family home.

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac Memorial Hall

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

black and white photograph

Historical information

Lake Bolac Memorial Hall built in 1922 in memory of the local men who served in the First World War. The original hall was moved from across the street to form the supper room of this hall.

Black and white photograph - Aerial view of Lake Bolac township, circa 1970.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac township, 1970. This picture shows the 2nd football oval, tennis courts, golf course and racecourse (front-right) above the salt lake and the Lake Bolac Common (front-left). The Primary School is still on its original site between the oval and the Ararat road. The High School is beside the fresh-water lake (centre back) and to its left are the early caravan park and bowling club. The Aquatic Club shed can just be seen behind the lake bank. Photograph taken by Lewis Wills.

Photograph - Lake Bolac Memorial Hall 1922

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

black and white photograph

Historical information

The Lake Bolac Memorial Hall was built in 1922 in memory of the local men who served in the First World War. The original hall was relocated from its site in Montgomery Street to form the supper room of the new hall.

Black and white photograph - Louis Park's Saddlery Shop, Montgomery St., Lake Bolac, 1946.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Louis Park's Saddlery Shop, Montgomery St., Lake Bolac, in 1946. The shop later became Jock and Margaret Low's Hardware Store. The van depicted belonged to a Mr Jock Lindros and was originally a bakers van,

Black and white photograph - E & M Rowley, pioneers at Lake Bolac, 1862.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Edward and MaryAnn Rowley were pioneer settlers at Lake Bolac, taking up land in 1862. Their children were Sarah, Elizabeth, Maryanne, Deborah, Emily, Ellen, Eliza, Emma, Martha and Edward. The change-over station for stage coaches, including Cobb and C., and paddocks for resting horses, were on their property. The farm was later bought by J.T. Murray. The family are interred in the Lake Bolac Cemetery.

Black and white photograph - Picnic at Mt Hamilton

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac families enjoying a picnic at the Mt Hamilton volcanic crater to the east of the township, near Nerrin Nerrin. Pictured are, from left: Ethel, Alice and Eva Veale, Blanche and Marian "Minnie' Ward and Ruth Helme. Circa 1900.

Black and white photograph - First intake of students, 1957, to the Lake Bolac Higher Elementary School.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

The first intake of Students in 1957, in the Presbyterian Sunday School as the school buildings were still being constructed. Students from left to right, Back: Russell Adams, Max Davis, Jack Moss, Charlie Neil, Fred Collins, Teacher - Joe Skeehan, Ian Farnsworth, Ken Collins, Winston Jenkins, Richard Thom, Gordon Hucker. Middle: Robert Maddox, Pam Debney, Gwenda Drever, Elizabeth Copley, Judith Barrett, Maxine Mauldin, Wendy Phillips, June Burdett, Ray O'Brien. Front: Daryl Heard, Ken Wilson, Richard Peters, Douglas Park, Murray Thom, Robert Fraser, James Hildebrandt. Len Renkin absent.

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac Football Club Premiers, 1935. Hamilton League

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac Football Club Premiers in 1935, Hamilton League. Pictured at Back from left: RJ Lacey, Leo O'Rorke, Jim Wills, Col Graham, Don Graham, Neil 'Rusty' Graham, Alec McMaster, Pat Murphy. 2nd row: RJT Murray, Murray Rees, Lloyd Osmond, Martin Quinlivan (Capt.), Bern Nicholson, Louis Duncan, Norm Kinnersley (V.C.). Front: Cliff Murray (Trainer), George Hucker, Ian Robertson, Jack Veale (mascot), Bill Watson, Fred Drever, Watt Nicholson (Trainer).

Black and white photograph - Hay stacking at O'Rorke's 1912

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

black and white photograph

Historical information

This photo shows hay being stacked on the O'Rorke property in 1912.

Black and white photo - Lake Bolac Post Office, 1919.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac Post Office, original building, 1919.

Black and white photograph - 'Eilyer', built in 1871.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

'Eilyer' homestead, built 1871. Run by Albert Austin, Albert Sidney Austin, Ronald Austin, Derrick Austin, his daughter, Kaye Blackburn, then Michael Blackburn.

Black and white photograph - Wickliffe RSL - 1962

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

The members of the Wickliffe RSL in 1962. From left to right, Back: Alec McAndrew, Lyle Steel, Harry McIntyre, Clair Cooper, F Dunmill, Keith Grimmer. Middle: Col McMurray, Ken Gorst, R Arthur, Wes Sharrock, Ron Otto, Robert Allen, Jack Butler. Front: Don Laurie, Phil de Crespigny, Peter Staughton, G McColl, Dick Purbrick, Col McIntyre.

Black and white photograph - Stacking flax at Lake Bolac

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Stacking flax on J.T. Murray's property at Lake Bolac as there was no more room on the Lake Bolac Flax Mill site. Pictured are Joe Bassett, J.T. Murray and his boys, Ewen, Alister and George.

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac State School No. 854, circa 1908.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Pupils and teachers attending the Lake Bolac State School No 854, circa 1908. Back from left: Louis Murray, Mrs J Cameron( Sewing teacher), Boyd Golding, Syd Metherall, Billy Richardson, George Henderson, Bessie Waller, Elsie Park, Isobel Leach, Jessie Leach, Marjorie McMillan, Queenie Cameron ,Mr Pye (Teacher), Vida Golding. Middle: Cliff Murray, Billy Waller, Cyril McMaster, Doris Cameron, Mona McMaster, Rita Golding, Myrtle Golding, Adeline Murphy, Madge Robertson, Kitty Graham, Mary Young, Ann Pitkethly. Front: Alec Murray, Donald Waller, Harry Gale, Les Meek, Eion Murray, Fred Blackham, Les Gale, Fred Walker, Bollie Meek, Jack Young, Lily Blackham, Ruby Young, Minnie Young.

Black and white photograph - Wickliffe Presbyterian Church

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Wickliffe Presbyterian Church and Manse

Black and white photograph - The family of Lewis and May Wills of Lake Bolac, circa 1922.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

The family of Lewis and May Wills of "Fintry", Lake Bolac, circa 1022. Back from left: James, May, 'Ina, Eunice. Front: Maud, Lewis (snr), Lewis.

Photograph - Tom Park's traction engine 1920

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

black and white photograph

Historical information

Tom Park's traction engine in 1920. It travelled the district around Lake Bolac with a team of men thrashing wheat.

Colour photograph - Jan. 2011 Flood, Lake Bolac and Salt Creek.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Jan. 2011 Flood. Debouchment from Lake Bolac into Salt Creek through the natural overflow (centre) and the channel (front left) dug in the 1920's. Photograph courtesy Bill Sharp.

Black and white photograph - Mellier School, 1923

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Mellier State School, No 3500, 13/06/1923. Established 1919. Back - Don MacInnes, Jack Dow, Harold Stewart, Alan Hucker, Ivor Evans, Vivian Evans, George Hucker. 2nd Row - Fred Hucker, Keith Evans, Charles Stewart, Ernie Hucker, Perce Kinnersley, Bon Hucker, Richard Geddes, Miss Isabel M MacKenzie (Mrs SH Moreton) Front - Frank Kinnersley, Marjorie Geddes, Margaret Stewart, Jean MacInnes, Janet Hucker, Maisie Kinnersley, Lily Kinnersley, Mavis Hucker, Gladys Hucker, Donald Davidson.

Black and white photograph - Bank of New South Wales building, Lake Bolac, circa 1944.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Bank of New South Wales building, Montgomery St, Lake Bolac, circa 1944. To the left is the Milk bar and Fruit shop/Post Office and at the extreme left is the Bakery.

Photograph - Lake Bolac State School 1893 - Lake Bolac State School No. 854

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Application was made for a mixed school known as Parupa Common School in 1865. Building by Robert Pitkethley commenced in 1867. The name was changed to Lake Bolac State School No. 854 in 1870. The school was bluestone with galvanised iron roof. 30ft x 18ft x 10ft high with teacher residence attached. The building was used from 1867 to 1925 when it was sold for removal. Photograph shows Teacher William Bartlett and students in 1893.

Black and white photograph - Veale Brother's Store

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

black and white photograph

Historical information

Pictured are wool wagons outside the Veale Brother's store in Lake Bolac. The Veale Family ran this store from 1874 through to 1938 when it was bought by Harold Dixon. It was constructed of locally quarried bluestone and still stands in 2016.

Black and white photograph - Carting Wheat at Lake Bolac

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

James Wills of "Fintry" Lake Bolac carting bags of wheat with his International truck which was purchased for Goodall's, Mortlake. The truck was able to carry 35 bags of wheat.