Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society Lake Bolac, Victoria

Historical Society for Lake Bolac and surrounding district.

Contact Information

location
P.O. Box 12 Lake Bolac Victoria 3351 (map)
phone
+61 +61 3 5337 6011

Contact

Opening Hours

3rd Sunday of Month 10am-4pm

Entry Fee

No entry fee.

Location

2110 Glenelg Highway Lake Bolac Victoria

View on Google Maps

Photographs, negatives, documents and a small quantity of negatives

Significance

A comprehensive visual collection depicting Lake Bolac and district's history

Noel Read 29 June 2015 10:57 AM

What are your opening hours and days, please? My wife and I are travelling to SA to meet up with family on Thursday and my brother-in-law is hoping I may call in to obtain some more info' and take some photo's in Lake Bolac. Our family connections that he has been researching are, James McDonald and Margaret Blanche Hayhoe (maiden name Margaret Blanche Ward) also known as Blanche Mary Hayhoe. Thank you

Karen McIntyre 30 June 2015 9:31 AM

Historical books and photo displays available daily at the Lake Bolac Information Centre 2110 Glenelg Highway, Lake Bolac. Open 10am-5pm weekdays, 10am-4pm weekends.

noel mcadie 24 July 2017 9:40 AM

You had a soft cover book on the history of the district. Please - a. is it still available? b. does it mention David Aitken and his wife and children? I am a genealogist and trying to confirm David's place in Aitken Family.

Leave a comment

161 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (160) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

161 items

Black and white photo - Lake Bolac Tennis Club, 1979.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac Tennis Club, 1979. (5 teams) Back L-R: Colin McKenzie, Les O'Brien, Ian Furness, Peter Solly, Fergus Cameron, Ian Park, Jack Martinich, Bill McKenzie, Ray Gale. 3rd row: Greg Walters. Douglas Lee, Barry Walters, Wayne Phillips, Rodney Young, Alan Wordley, Ray Harrington, Andrew McIntyre, Veronica Hucker. 2nd row: Betty Walters, Glenda Davis, Jan Wordly, Marj McKenzie, Chris Gale, Beryl O'Biren, Viv Martinich, Jenny Healey, Helen Furness. Front: Judy Merry, Jenny Solly, Hazel Brown, Helen Jones, Una Allender, Viv Cameron, Merran Low.

Black and white photo - Lake Bolac Post Office, 1919.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac Post Office, original building, 1919.

Black and white photo - Lake Bolac Post Office 1904

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

black and white photograph

Historical information

Pictured outside the Lake Bolac Post Office in 1904 are Mr Dalgleish and Post Mistress, Mrs Frances Murray. This was the original Post Office opened in 1887 and was located on the Glenelg Highway. It later became an office for Denny's Lascelles stock agents.

Black and white photo - Lake Bolac Post Office Opening

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

black and white photograph

Historical information

Photograph showing the opening of the first Post Office in Lake Bolac in 1887. Pictured at the opening are G Veale, Marion Ward, Mrs Tom Ward, Robert McMillan and Blanche Ward.

Black and white photo - Original Lake Bolac Store erected in 1868.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

black and white photograph

Historical information

This bluestone store replaced a small wooden store on the cross roads site in 1858. Store owned by William Veale and his brothers Arthur and George . Originally built by Cecil Louisson. Sold to William Veale Senior in 1874 who owned it until 1938 when it was sold to Mr Dixon.

Black and white photograph - Private Louis (Joe) Murdoch Murray, 8th Lighthorse regiment, WW1.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Private Louis (Joe) Murdoch Murray, 8th Light Horse Regiment, WW1. Joe enlisted 15/01/1915 and embarked for overseas on 07/05/1915. He served at Gallipoli and in France where he was badly wounded at the battle of Ypres in 1917. After returning from the war he took up farming on land donated to him by the Austin family. However, he never fully recovered either physically or mentally from his war service and lost his farm in the Depression. He spent his final years in an Old Soldiers Home in Frankston. He is buried in Melbourne.

Black and white photograph - Gunner Stanley Herbert Moreton, Field Artillery Brigade, WW1.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Gunner Stanley Herbert Moreton, enlisted 04/12/1916 in a Field Artillery Unit. He embarked for France on 11/05/1917. Upon his return from the war, he purchased 'Parupa Park'. After WW2 Stanley was involved in helping with the subdivision of land for soldier settlement. He died in 1978 at the age of 85.

Black and white photograph - William Arthur Park, Corporal 4th Field Artillery Brigade, WW1.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

William Arthur Park, a Corporal in the 4th Field Artillery Brigade. He enlisted 15/07/1915 and his date of embarkation was 18/11/1915. William was awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in France. Upon returning to Australia he took up farming at Mininera in 1920 on land purchased prior to enlistment. He married Caroline Biggin. Unfortunately he never fully recovered from the gas attacks he suffered on the battlefield and died at the early age of 43 in 1928.

Black and white photograph - Pte Donald Murray meeting Pte Ray Hargreaves in London during WW1.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Private Donald Hector Murray greeting Private Edward Raymond Hargreaves in London during WW1. Donald enlisted 17/04/1916 in the 37th Infantry Battalion and embarked for Europe 03/06/1916. He died of Tubercular Pleurisy on 21/12/1916 at the Military Hospital, Fargo England, whilst on active service. He is buried in the Durrington Cemetery there. Edward enlisted in the 5th Infantry Battalion on 08/07/1915 and embarked for France 11/10/1915. Upon his return he was granted a Soldier Settler's block west of Lake Bolac in 1921. He married Flora Graham in 1925.

Black and white photograph - Private George Ford, Wickliffe, WW1.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Private George Ford, Wickliffe, WW1.

Black and white photograph - Private Hugh Michael O'Rorke, 39th Infantry Brigade, WW1.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Private Hugh O'Rorke enlisted 28/03/1916 in 39th Infantry Battalion and embarked for France 27/05/1916. He was gassed and then severely wounded during the Battle for Broodseinde Ridge on 04/10.1917. After convalescence in England he returned to Australia and was discharged in 1918. He took up a Soldier Settlement block at Westmere and named it Killigrew'. Ray and Jan O'Brien live in the house now.' He was awarded an MBE in 1955 for services to the CFA. He died in 1962, aged 72.

Black and white photograph - Private William James Richardson, 4th Artillery brigade, WW1.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Private William James Richardson was a driver in the 4th Artillery Brigade. He enlisted on 16/07/1915 and embarked for Europe on 18/11/1915. He returned and married Elsie Park in 1938. They lived in the Park family home in Montgomery Street - now 'Josiah's Short Stay Accommodation'.

Black and white photograph - Rabbiter's Camp, "Narrapumelap", Wickliffe, circa 1890's

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Wickliffe. Rabbiters camp, "Narrapumelap", circa 1890

Black and white photograph - "Wynawang", Wickliffe, home of the Howlett family.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

The Howlett family pictured in their garden at "Wynawang", Wickliffe. The members of the family who lived their long lives ay "Wynawang" were Horace (Tuck), Donald, Alec, Margaret and Frances. Photograph courtesy Murray Knight.

Black and white photograph - First intake of students, 1957, to the Lake Bolac Higher Elementary School.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

The first intake of Students in 1957, in the Presbyterian Sunday School as the school buildings were still being constructed. Students from left to right, Back: Russell Adams, Max Davis, Jack Moss, Charlie Neil, Fred Collins, Teacher - Joe Skeehan, Ian Farnsworth, Ken Collins, Winston Jenkins, Richard Thom, Gordon Hucker. Middle: Robert Maddox, Pam Debney, Gwenda Drever, Elizabeth Copley, Judith Barrett, Maxine Mauldin, Wendy Phillips, June Burdett, Ray O'Brien. Front: Daryl Heard, Ken Wilson, Richard Peters, Douglas Park, Murray Thom, Robert Fraser, James Hildebrandt. Len Renkin absent.

Black and white photograph - Scots Presbyterian Church Lake Bolac, circa 1890.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Scots Presbyterian Church, Lake Bolac. The architect was Mr George Harriot and it was built of local bluestone by stonemason Mr Helme and completed in 1878. The Rev. Mr J S Muir took the opening service. Mrs John Moffat and Mrs William Veale laid the foundation stone. It was furnished by the existing Kauri pews but the present pulpit is not the original. Both Methodist and Anglican services were held in the building in the early years.

Black and white photograph - Wickliffe Presbyterian Church

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Wickliffe Presbyterian Church and Manse

Black and white photograph - St. Bernards Roman Catholic Church, Lake Bolac.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

St Bernard's Roman Catholic Church, Lake Bolac. Built by Robert Pitkethley on the west bank of the lake and completed in 1874. It was consecrated by Bishop Gould of Melbourne.

Black and white photograph - Wickliffe, Farrell's Inn.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Farrell's Inn, Wickliffe. Courtesy F Prust.

Black and white photograph - Presbyterian Church Manse, Wickliffe.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Wickliffe Presbyterian Church Manse, courtesy Jean Gorst

Black and white photograph - Wickliffe Public hall/Mechanic's Institute, (1912-1996).

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Wickliffe Public Hall/Mechanics Institute, 1912-1996.

Black and white photograph - "Narrapumelap", Wickliffe.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

"Narrapumelap" homestead, Wickliffe. The aboriginal meaning of Narrapumelap is a chain of waterholes. Begun in 1873 by John Dixon Wyselaskie and completed in 1878. The new owner in 1883 was Gerald Neville Buckley, son of Mr Mars Buckley, founder of Buckley and Nunn LTD, who 'enhanced' the building. The property was acquired for by the government in 1914 and later split up for Soldier Settlement.

Black and white photograph - Gerald Buckley of "Narrapumelap", Wickliffe.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Mr Gerald Buckley of "Narrapumelap", Wickliffe, taking children for a ride at a local picnic. Mr Buckley was the first person in the district to acquire a motor car.

Black and white photograph - Woolshed and outbuildings of "Wynawang", Wickliffe.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Woolshed, Stables and machinery shed of "Wynawang", Wickliffe. Owned and run by the Howlett family.

Black and white photograph - Alexander Howlett on his JAP motorbike, Wickliffe.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Wickliffe. Alexander Howlett on his J.A.P. motorbike on the family property, "Wynawang".

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac Overflow and Weir, circa 1949.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac. The concrete weir and water-level adjusted overflow into the man-made channel into Salt Creek on the south side of the lake, circa 1949. The Moreton family is playing in the shallow trickle of water. Malin's windmill and pump can be seen on the bank in the background.

Black and white photograph - Aerial view of Lake Bolac township, circa 1970.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac township, 1970. This picture shows the 2nd football oval, tennis courts, golf course and racecourse (front-right) above the salt lake and the Lake Bolac Common (front-left). The Primary School is still on its original site between the oval and the Ararat road. The High School is beside the fresh-water lake (centre back) and to its left are the early caravan park and bowling club. The Aquatic Club shed can just be seen behind the lake bank. Photograph taken by Lewis Wills.

Black and white photograph - Wickliffe State School, No.948, before 1950

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

The Wickliffe school operated unofficially until it was officially opened in 1870 and became State School No. 948. The school had considerable difficulty obtaining a qualified teacher. John Broughton Jones was the first qualified teacher, appointed in 1870 and he remained until 1882.

Black and white photograph - Wickliffe State School pupils, 1920.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Wickliffe State School pupils, 1920. Back: Alan Grimmer, Don Gale, Daisy Bowes, Eileen Cleary, Daisy Williamson, Norma McInnes, Jack Cleary, Syd Prust, Keith McInnes. 2nd row: Peter Grimmer, Alice Glenn, Marjorie Prust, Hilda Farrell, Jean McInnes, Nellie Grimmer, Iney Farrell, Clarice Blackham, Beattie Farrell, V. Grimmer. 3rd row: Flora McInnes, Ruby Prust, Murray Mitchell, Bill Farrell, Stuart McInnes, Alan Gale, Don McInnes. Front: Murdoch Ferguson, Charlie Grimmer, Cath Ford, Grace Prust, Elsie Grimmer, Les Cleary. Teachers: Mr A Hewitt, Miss B.W. Grimmer.

Black and white photograph - Mellier School, 1923

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Mellier State School, No 3500, 13/06/1923. Established 1919. Back - Don MacInnes, Jack Dow, Harold Stewart, Alan Hucker, Ivor Evans, Vivian Evans, George Hucker. 2nd Row - Fred Hucker, Keith Evans, Charles Stewart, Ernie Hucker, Perce Kinnersley, Bon Hucker, Richard Geddes, Miss Isabel M MacKenzie (Mrs SH Moreton) Front - Frank Kinnersley, Marjorie Geddes, Margaret Stewart, Jean MacInnes, Janet Hucker, Maisie Kinnersley, Lily Kinnersley, Mavis Hucker, Gladys Hucker, Donald Davidson.