Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society Lake Bolac, Victoria

Historical Society for Lake Bolac and surrounding district.

Contact Information

location
P.O. Box 12 Lake Bolac Victoria 3351 (map)
phone
+61 +61 3 5337 6011

Contact

Opening Hours

3rd Sunday of Month 10am-4pm

Entry Fee

No entry fee.

Location

2110 Glenelg Highway Lake Bolac Victoria

View on Google Maps

Photographs, negatives, documents and a small quantity of negatives

Significance

A comprehensive visual collection depicting Lake Bolac and district's history

Noel Read 29 June 2015 10:57 AM

What are your opening hours and days, please? My wife and I are travelling to SA to meet up with family on Thursday and my brother-in-law is hoping I may call in to obtain some more info' and take some photo's in Lake Bolac. Our family connections that he has been researching are, James McDonald and Margaret Blanche Hayhoe (maiden name Margaret Blanche Ward) also known as Blanche Mary Hayhoe. Thank you

Karen McIntyre 30 June 2015 9:31 AM

Historical books and photo displays available daily at the Lake Bolac Information Centre 2110 Glenelg Highway, Lake Bolac. Open 10am-5pm weekdays, 10am-4pm weekends.

noel mcadie 24 July 2017 9:40 AM

You had a soft cover book on the history of the district. Please - a. is it still available? b. does it mention David Aitken and his wife and children? I am a genealogist and trying to confirm David's place in Aitken Family.

Leave a comment

161 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (160) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

161 items

Black and white photograph - Sisters at "St Mary's", Lake Bolac

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Una and Eva Knight at their family home, "St Mary's", on the east bank of Lake Bolac.

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac state school, No 854. Grades 3/4, 22/09/1933.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac State School, No 854. 22/09/1933. Miss Dorothy Baker (teacher) and Grades 3/4. Students, back: Eric Robertson, Margaret Kinnersley, Arthur Osborne. Front: Geoff Meek, _________ , Jock Hucker, Miriam Meek, _________ .

Black and white photograph - Alice and Eva Veale of Lake Bolac

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Alice and Eva Veale of Lake Bolac

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac, Carting hay at "Wyvern"

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Carting hay at "Wyvern", McInnes' of Lake Bolac.

Black and white photograph - James Murray (Sn.) of Lake Bolac

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

James Murray (Sn) of Lake Bolac

Black and white photograph - Vic Peters of Lake Bolac with Horse-team and plough

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Vic Peters of Lake Bolac with horse-team and plough

Black and white photograph - Wickliffe, c. 1900.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Wickliffe, circa 1900. From the Big Hill at the north end of town looking west. Bluestone hotel centre right and Gales cottage.

Black and white photograph - Moretons and Clarkes of Lake Bolac

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Mr WH Clarke & Mrs Clarke, Mrs Moreton & Mr JK Moreton of Boswell Park, Lake Bolac.

Black and white photograph - Josiah and Mary Park

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Josiah and Mary Park, (1867) of Lake Bolac.

Black and white photograph - Thomas and Dorothy Peters, with Horace and Victor, 1910.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Thomas and Dorothy Peters with sons Horace and Victor. !910. Lake Bolac.

Black and white photograph - The Misses Howlett of Wickliffe, 1963.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

The Misses Howlett of 'Wynawang' Wickliffe, 1963. Pillars of the Wickliffe Presbyterian Church.

Black and white photograph - The Howlett Family of 'Wynawang', Wickliffe.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Mr and Mrs Howlett of 'Wynawang', Wiuckliffe, with daughters, Margaret and Frances (Fanny). Circa 1900.

Black and white photograph - 'Eloora', the Bassett home.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

The Bassett family home at 'Eloora', Lake Bolac. The original house was burned down in the 1944 fire and this was the replacement building.

Black and white photograph - 'Eilyer', built in 1871.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

'Eilyer' homestead, built 1871. Run by Albert Austin, Albert Sidney Austin, Ronald Austin, Derrick Austin, his daughter, Kaye Blackburn, then Michael Blackburn.

Black and white photograph - Albert Austin, "Eilyer", 1834-1916.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

When 'Bolac Plains' was subdivided in 1846 Henry Gibb took up the northern end and he named the property 'Eilyer'. 'Eilyer' was bought from the estate of Henry Gibb in 1864 by Josiah and Thomas Austin. Gibb had been killed the year before when he fell from a horse. At the time of purchase, 'Eilyer' was 30,000 acres in size. It was later divided up and the second section become known as "Myuna". Ownership of 'Eilyer' has remained in the same family for over 150 years: Thomas and Josiah, Albert, Ronald, Derrick, Kate (Blackburn), Michael (Blackburn).

Colour photograph - Lake Bolac township. 1963.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Crossroads at Lake Bolac, 1963. Junction of the Ballarat/Hamilton and Ararat/Mortlake roads. Starting centre left, the large building on the south-east side of the Ballarat road is Goodall's garage. Next door is the original Bush Nursing centre, then Dalgety's, the Bakery, the Milkbar and on the corner is the Bank of New South Wales building, Elder's, Green's drapery shop and the Lake Bolac Memorial Hall. On the traffic island in front of the Hall is the War Memorial and across the Woorndoo road is the Hotel (with the maroon roof) with stables behind. Across the road again is the Stanbury's General Store with their large warehouse behind.

Colour photograph

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Aerial view of Lake Bolac township, looking towards the north-east, taken circa 1968. The freshwater lake is top-right, the salt-lake is centre-left. The Presbyterian church, bottom right, is surrounded by Cyprus trees on the Woorndoo/Mortlake road. The hotel and general store are opposite each other on the crossroads of the Mortlake/Ararat and Ballarat/Hamilton roads and the sporting complex is behind the store next to the salt lake. The Primary School, No 854, is between the footy oval and the Ararat Road, centre left.

Colour photograph - Aerial view of Lake Bolac and village. After the rain, 2010.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Aerial view of Lake Bolac after the drought had broken in late 2010. The fresh-water lake is now full, as are the wetlands. Note the edge of the salt-lake in the bottom right, the Industrial Estate bottom left and centre, the golf course, the current footy oval, Bowling Club, tennis courts and swimming pool with the P-12 College through the trees on the bank of the lake. An Archaeologist might be able to discern the original footy oval bottom centre, built on what was once the town Common (below the industrial buildings),and the second oval (above the salt lake.) The houses are spreading along the west bank of the lake beyond the school.

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac State School No 854, students of 1921.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac State School students in 1921. Back: Laurie park, Eileen Graham, Maisie Lindonh, Nell O'Rorke, Sheila Murray, Lillian Murray, Emily Wileman, Beryl Peters, June Wileman, Alma Eastick, Chris McKenzie, Innes Geddes, Eunice Wills. 2nd Row: Eddie Kinnersley, Ivan Scott, Colin Graham, Marg. Graham, Dulcie Gange, Del Veale, Joy Gange, Faith Murray, Lorna Peters, Edna Cordy, Enonie Park, Mabel Cordy, Greta Sandford, Lin Cameron, Bert Peters. 3rd Row: Claude Balkin, Graham Murray, Mav Peters, Dave Geddes, Ewan Murray, Wal Dear, Len Park, Arthur Knoght, Frank Graham, Leo Balkin, Alan McCrow, Ray Gale, George Wileman, Joe Cook, Hurtle Eastick, Frank Eastick. Front Row: Horrie Peters, Harold Peters, Alex Scott, Jim Peters, Fred Dear, Bill Kinnersley, Dave Pitkethly, Neil Graham (Rusty), Don Graham, Lou Duncan.

Black and white photograph - Wickliffe, main street, circa 1920.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Wickliffe, main street, taken from pine tree opposite the hotel. Presbyterian Church on the hill centre-left. 1920's.

Black and white photograph - Wickliffe State School No 948, 1916.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Pupils and staff at Wickliffe State School no 948, 1916. Teacher: Mr John Aldie. Sewing Teacher: Miss Nell Ford. Back: Donald Gale, Jack Cleary, Alan Grimmer, Fred Prust, Geoff McInnes, Jim Farrell, Claude Pagels, Jim Ford, Albert Smith. 2nd Row: Hilda Farrell, Jean McInnes, Mona Wileman, Inez Farrell, _________, Marg Prust, Sid Prust, Ray Grimmer. 3rd Row: Mary McInnes, Eileen Cleary, Evie Jackson, Nell McInnes, mMillie Blacjham, Stella Pagels, Kathie Ferguson, Gertie Pagels, Bill Blackham. 4th Row: Ruby Prust, Nell Grimmer, Keith McInnes ,_________, G Wileman, ___________. Front: Allan Gale, Robert Stuart McInnes.

Black and white photograph - Wickliffe State School, No 948. 1921.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

The pupils and staff at the Wickliffe State School, No 948 in 1921. Back: Marg Prust, Inez Farrell, Jean McInnes, Daisy Williamson, Daisy Bowes, Norma McInnes, Nellie Grimmer, Clarice Blackham, Emily Ferguson. 2nd Row: Kath Ford, Bessie Aldridge, Beatrice Farrell, Ruby Prust, Viv Grimmer, Esther Floyd, Elsie Grimmer, Grace Prust, Lucy Bradshaw. 3rd Row: Mollie Egan, Mena Farrell, Ida Lloyd, Frank Turner, Leo Cleary, Charlie Grimmer, Don Grimmer, Gladstone Ferguson, Harry Prust, Lloyd McInnes. Front: Bill Farrell, Stuart McInnes, Don McInnes, Jack Suyenag, Alan Gale, Keith McInnes, Ray Grimmer, Murdoch Ferguson. Teacher, Miss Gwen Evans.

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac State School No. 854, circa 1908.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Pupils and teachers attending the Lake Bolac State School No 854, circa 1908. Back from left: Louis Murray, Mrs J Cameron( Sewing teacher), Boyd Golding, Syd Metherall, Billy Richardson, George Henderson, Bessie Waller, Elsie Park, Isobel Leach, Jessie Leach, Marjorie McMillan, Queenie Cameron ,Mr Pye (Teacher), Vida Golding. Middle: Cliff Murray, Billy Waller, Cyril McMaster, Doris Cameron, Mona McMaster, Rita Golding, Myrtle Golding, Adeline Murphy, Madge Robertson, Kitty Graham, Mary Young, Ann Pitkethly. Front: Alec Murray, Donald Waller, Harry Gale, Les Meek, Eion Murray, Fred Blackham, Les Gale, Fred Walker, Bollie Meek, Jack Young, Lily Blackham, Ruby Young, Minnie Young.

Black and white photograph - Lake Bolac Football Club Premiers, 1935. Hamilton League

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac Football Club Premiers in 1935, Hamilton League. Pictured at Back from left: RJ Lacey, Leo O'Rorke, Jim Wills, Col Graham, Don Graham, Neil 'Rusty' Graham, Alec McMaster, Pat Murphy. 2nd row: RJT Murray, Murray Rees, Lloyd Osmond, Martin Quinlivan (Capt.), Bern Nicholson, Louis Duncan, Norm Kinnersley (V.C.). Front: Cliff Murray (Trainer), George Hucker, Ian Robertson, Jack Veale (mascot), Bill Watson, Fred Drever, Watt Nicholson (Trainer).

Black and white photograph - "Lake Boloke" homestead and the dry shore-line of Lake Bolac, circa 1855.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

A very early view of the first blue-stone homestead and out-buildings at "Lake Boloke" station, established by Robert Patterson, believed taken in the early 1850's. The row of River red-gums indicates the shoreline of Lake Bolac which seems to be at least partially dry.

Black and white photograph - Hoof-bath for Horses, "Bellevue", Lake Bolac, circa 1910.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Horse being held in a hoof-bath to counter stable hoof-rot. "Bellevue", Lake Bolac, circa 1910. Hugh O'Rorke on right and David Clarke, at back.

Black and white photograph - Flax Field Day at Lake Bolac, 1946.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Local farmers attend a Flax Field Day at "Bellevue", Lake Bolac on 27th November, 1946. Present are, from left: Leo O'Rorke, Fred Moreton, Bill Green, __________, Jock Hucker, Stan Hucker, Henry Clarke.

Black and white photograph - 'Flax Day' at Lake Bolac, 1946.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

"Bellevue" Flax Day at Lake Bolac in 1946. Pictured from left are Fred Hucker, Alan Hucker and Sam Hucker.

Black and white photograph - The family of Lewis and May Wills of Lake Bolac, circa 1922.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

The family of Lewis and May Wills of "Fintry", Lake Bolac, circa 1022. Back from left: James, May, 'Ina, Eunice. Front: Maud, Lewis (snr), Lewis.

Black and white photograph - Knight children of Lake Bolac.

Lake Bolac & District Historical Society, Lake Bolac

Historical information

Lake Bolac family, the Knight children: Gladys, George and Arthur 'Jim".