Loyola is a Catholic regional secondary College in the Ignatian tradition.
The land on which Loyola College was built was donated to the Archdiocese of Melbourne by the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) in 1979 for the purpose of building a catholic secondary school.
The Jesuit Order had a presence on the site from 1934 to 1974 where a house of formation and studies for the Society of Jesus was located (the current Old Loyola building purchased by the College in 2002).
Established in 1980 and set on 27 acres in Watsonia, it serves north-eastern Melbourne and, by special arrangement, accepts students from Catholic schools overseas.
The College has expanded over the years and has added many facilities during that time to enhance quality educational provision for the students.