Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc Maldon, Victoria

The Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum houses a wonderful display of vintage machinery from the region and further afield, including agricultural, pastoral, forestry, mining, printing, industrial and fire-fighting equipment.

Contact Information

location
PO Box 2 Maldon VIC 3463
phone
+61 03 5472 2202

Contact

Opening Hours

The building is staffed by volunteers, and aims to be open Wednesdays from 11.00 to 3.00 and Saturdays from 10.00 to 4.00, and some Public Holidays. Please note that the Museum will NOT open when the North Central Fire Danger Ratings District has ratings of Code Red (Catastrophic) or Extreme. See the Fire Danger Ratings map at http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/

Location

Vincents Road Maldon Victoria

A showcase of Local Machinery that forged the goldfields, the farms and the everyday life in throughout the 19th and early 20th centuries. this collection includes the first steam operated electric plant developed for Thompson's Foundry, Castlemaine along with many and varied historic machines

Significance

currently working on a National Significance assessment

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

63 items with images

DC Generator - Steam Powered

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Siemens DC generator driven by a Thompsons two cylinder steam engine. The engine has vertical cylinders and there is a flywheel between the generator and engine. Generator painted grey, engine painted red. The system is connected to low pressure steam and can be run very slowly.

Inscriptions & Markings

Brass plate on generator "Siemens Brothers / Dynamo Works Ltd. / London Stafford / Direct Current Generator", followed by specifications. Thompsons Engineering in relief on steam engine side plates. "60" on base of engine.

Pump - Vertical Turbine

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Two stage vertical turbine pump attached to a short discharge column and mounted in a frame with a gearbox at the top. The gearbox is cut away to reveal the interior. The pump is of Giles & Gascon design as sold by Kelly & Lewis. The pump and gearbox are set up to display the unit for sales and marketing purposes.

Inscriptions & Markings

"K & L GG in relief back and front of gearbox housing.

Pump - Centrifugal

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Large double suction centrifugal pump with 36" suction and discharge branches weighing 7500 kg. Cast iron baseplate for the pump measuring 154 x 185 x 22 cm. The pump is fitted with a spring grid coupling. The pump and baseplate are painted pale blue.

Significance

This pump was situated at Mildura Victoria and pumped water from the Murray river to irrigate the fruit blocks.

Inscriptions & Markings

The pump identification plate has been removed and there are no markings cast on it. The baseplate has Thompsons cast in relief on the top surface. The coupling has a brass nameplate with Richardson Spring Grid Coupling engraved on it.

Oil Engine

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Bartram type AK, 5 HP horizontal cylinder water cooled magneto ignition oil Engine mounted on a metal and timber chassis with 4 wheels. It has its own cam driven water pump which pumps cooling water over metal gauze for evaporative cooling. Painted green. It has two flywheels, one at each end of the crankshaft, with a flat belt pulley attached to one flywheel. Cooling tank of galvanised steel with Bartram stencilled on one side. In working order.

Inscriptions & Markings

Cast nameplate on front of crankcase with a Bartram logo cast on also "Bertram / Type / AK"

Photograph - Engines In front of Auntie Jack Shed Circa 2006

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Digital Photograph of Auntie Jack shed at the Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum on Vincents Road, Maldon. Engines L-R: Portable shearing plant, Marshall Engine "Auntie Jack", Ferguson Tractor, Blue Engine (Unknown brand at time of upload)

Horizontal Oil Engine

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Austral 8 HP oil engine on 4 wheeled steel chassis with wrought iron wheels. Two double flywheels and flat belt pulley. Water cooled exhaust system at the crank end of the engine. Galvanised iron fuel tank slung under the engine. Painted green and black with red wheels.

Inscriptions & Markings

On an oval brass plate on the side of the engine :- "The Austral Oil Engine / Ronaldson Bros / Makers / No 663 / & Tippett / Ballarat Victoria"

Baker's Cart

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Two wheeled horse drawn cart that belonged to John Sexton, Maldon baker c 1940. Painted pale yellow with "Hudson Terraplane" wheel hubcaps. Flat bed with a full width step across the back. Leaf springs.

Inscriptions & Markings

Brass cast plate at the back end of the bed with "Maldon" cast in. Brass engraved plate on the side "The Baker's cart is known to have been used / in Maldon between 1930 and 1950 by bakers / "Doughy" Wells 30/40 and John Sexton 40/50" followed by restoration details.

Petrol Engine

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Single cylinder horizontal petrol engine mounted on a 4 wheeled trolley. Two flywheels, one either side, no pulley. Galvanised cylindrical fuel tank mounted on a wooden box in front. Box contains a battery and ignition coil. Trolley has cast iron wheels and is designed for pulling by hand. Painted red and grey. Probably a power source for farm machinery.

Inscriptions & Markings

On a brass plate fixed to the cylinder. "Waterloo Boy Gasoline Engine / No. 81491, HP 4 / Waterloo Gasoline Engine Co. / Waterloo Iowa / Patented / August 7 1900, Dec 3 1901, Oct 7 1907 / Other patents pending / Sold by Waterloo Gasoline Engine Co." On each side of the water tank is an oval white transfer with "Waterloo Boy" above an illustration of a small boy wearing a wide brimmed hat.

Tip Dray

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Single horse drawn tip dray, restored by G & S Little in 1999. Made of timber with metal fittings and wheel rims. Enclosed sides with hinged front and rear panels. Chassis and wheels painted dark red, body in dark blue.

Historical information

Used for carting rock to crushing batteries, road making, railway track building.

Inscriptions & Markings

Rectangular brass plaque on LHS looking forward detailing restoration and possible usage.

Horse Drawn Dray

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Single horse drawn dray (non-tipping) made of timber with metal fittings and wheel rims. Open all round with uprights spaced along the tray. Rail at the top of the uprights. Painted dark brown with unpainted tray boards.

Inscriptions & Markings

No inscriptions or markings.

Condenser Air Pump

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Vertical cylinder reciprocating condenser air pump with two 107 cm diameter flywheels (one on each end of crankshaft). The operating cylinder at at top of the machine has a centrifugal governor. Access ladder to platform at front. Painted black and red.

Inscriptions & Markings

On cylinder head "63"

Molten Metal Ladle Tipper

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Device for tipping molten metal ladles. In use it would be suspended from a crane. Unpainted in a lightly rusty condition

Inscriptions & Markings

Makers name (EBELING) cast on an oval brass plate.

Model Truck

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

"Tarrengower Times" model truck registration plate TLJ 10. Flat tray, spoked wheels with pneumatic tyres, leaf springs front and rear, leather upholstery. "Century" battery behind cabin with" Century" in black on gold. Painted maroon with gold trim, gold painted headlights and radiator frame.

Inscriptions & Markings

On driver's door in gold lettering "The / Tarrengower / Times /High St. / Maldon / Est. 1858" Logo on oval plate at top of radiator.

Miniature Water Turbine.

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Miniature water turbine (pelton wheel, single jet) mounted on a wooden frame. Undershot wheel driving a pulley at one end of the shaft. Flywheel at the other end of the shaft. Small die-cast buckets, some broken and missing. Pelton wheel and flywheel painted red, wooden frame unpainted.

Inscriptions & Markings

None

Treadle Lathe

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Treadle lath for metal turning. Some brass accessories for metal working are laid out on a timber bench attached to the back of the lathe. Painted gunmetal grey and mounted on a black wooden platform for display purposes.

Historical information

The first metal working machine used by David & James Thompson in 1878. Brought by ship by David Thompson who used it on the journey to make working models.

Significance

The first machine used by David & James Thompson in their engineering section.

Inscriptions & Markings

None

Rope Making Machine

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Hand operated rope making machine with hooks for 5 strands. Mounted on a steel angle bracket bolted to a piece of timber. Handle painted green, remainder unpainted.

Inscriptions & Markings

None

Chainsaw

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Early model Stihl chainsaw with a gravity fed swivel carburetor. Painted grey and black, rear shield unpainted aluminium. Red plate fixed to side with name and specifications.

Inscriptions & Markings

On red plate Sthil logo, "A. Sthil, Maschinenfabrik /Waiblingen Neustadt / Type BL Motor Nr 55101 / Leistung 5.5 PS Nrehzahl 4000 / Nubraum 125 ccm Daujahr F / Zur Schmierung verwonde man Markenole wia / Motor Mobiloil TT / Mischungsvethaltnis 1:20 / Getriebe. Mobilube C140"

Motor Mower

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Victa twin cylinder rotary mower with grass catcher. Rubber tired wheels. Painted orange.

Significance

A rare object, not many were manufactured because of an inherent design fault in positioning the pistons vertically and it was found there was insufficient pressure to deliver oil to the top one.

Inscriptions & Markings

On engine cowl "500 Twin / 170 cc 2 Stroke". On base "Victa".

Car Jack

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Mechanical mobile car jack made by the TREWELLAH company of Trentham for APAC Industries Ltd. Known as a "Service Jack" used for servicing cars and light vehicles. Mounted on 4 wheels, two being castors. Painted red.

Inscriptions & Markings

On a brass plate fixed to top of body "APAC / Service Jack No. 247 / Range 4 5/8" to 19 3/4" / Capacity 5000 lb / Caution: Do not overload / This jack is guaranteed to raised 5000 lb / Overloading renders this guarantee null and void / lubricate jack thoroughly before using / always keep jack clean and well oiled / Manufactured in Australia / APAC Industries Limited. / South Australia"

Petrol Pump

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Tall free standing petrol pump with glass tank at top displaying amount of petrol pumped up. This is then gravity fed via a hose into a vehicle's petrol tank. Yellow painted with Shell Petrol Co. logo and advertising in red on front and sides and on round illuminated sign at top. Selection lever on front with gallon options 1/2 to 6. Hand pumping lever on RHS.

Rock Drill

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Oswald pneumatic rock drill. What appears to be an operating lever extending to one side. Body only, no drill bits. Unpainted.

Significance

This was the first rock drill to be made in Australia and was made in Maldon. It was used in the Carmen's Tunnel mine Maldon.

Inscriptions & Markings

Cast in relief on body "Late / R. D. Oswald / Maldon".

Drive Belts

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Six new wooden drive belts used in Woolen Mills. Comprising rectangular pierced wooden blocks held together by short lengths of chain.

Significance

Type used in wool weaving at Castlemaine Woolen Mill.

Steam Engine

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Vertical cylinder steam engine painted black, red and grey. In working order. Large flywheel and pulley on RHS and mounted on a raised concrete base. Belt drive overhead governor.

Inscriptions & Markings

No. "8532" is cast on the LHS of the frame.

Bandsaw

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Large belt driven bandsaw with wooden frame. Metal upper and lower driving wheels for bandsaw. Upper brass and lower cast iron. Wooden work table and saw guard. In poor working order and blade not fitted.

Pulley Stand

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Flat belt pulley stand with multiple pulleys. Set up for driving multiple machines. Present power source is an electric motor. In working order, unpainted.

Fergie Tractor

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Grey Ferguson tractor restored to working order with a detachable grader blade. A rollover protection bar has been added to comply with modern regulations for safety. Three point linkage and 3 new tyres. Club permit registration.

Inscriptions & Markings

Metal plates on front and sides "Ferguson". Serial No. plate on steering column mount etched No. "533? "........." Henry Ferguson / ........ / TE14 "351?".

Lathe

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Small metal lathe mounted on a metal stand. Driven by a 1/4 HP 1425 RPM electric motor. Comes with a box of assorted chucks and fittings.

Inscriptions & Markings

None

Drill Press

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

Floor Mounted drill press. Belt driven by an electric motor.

Inscriptions & Markings

Enameled on a plate on the LHS name in green over a red anchor on a white ground "THIEL".

Motor Mower

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

"Victa" 2-stroke lawn mower with rope start. Coloured green with plastic and rubber wheels. Height adjustment on each wheel. Early model with circular base, snorkel air intake and two blades.

Significance

Early model VICTA lawn mower.

Inscriptions & Markings

Aluminium plate on front "VICTA" in silver on red background.

Chainsaw

Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum Inc, Maldon

"Pioneer" chainsaw with green housing. Pull start, no chain. Compliance plate on back (see Below) second plate on top.

Inscriptions & Markings

Compliance plate on back "Pioneer Saws / Model / 450 / Serial No. A10778 / Division of Outboard Marine Australia Pty. Ltd. / Bankstown NSW". Cast in relief on side "Pioneer & Pine Trees".