Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc. Mt Dandenong, Victoria

The Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc. encourages and facilitates the collection, research, documentation and dissemination of images, written and oral records and objects representing the history of Mt Dandenong and the surrounding districts of Kalorama, Olinda, Sassafras, Ferny Creek and Tremont from first settlement to the present. The collection will be developed as an historical and educational resource for the community. Due to storage restraints the majority of the collection comprises early photographs and ephemera.

Contact Information

location
PO Box 182 Olinda Victoria 3788

Contact

Opening Hours

The Historical Society holds meetings on the 1st Saturday of the month from 10am - 12pm at Farndons Community Hall. Cnr Falls Rd & Farndons Rd., Mt. Dandenong. All Welcome.

Entry Fee

Annual membership of MDDHS is $20 for an individual membership and $30 for a couple.

Location

Farndons Community Hall 42 Falls Road Mt Dandenong Victoria

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

407 items

Photograph - Jeeves Coach at Devil's Elbow 1912

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Three horse passenger coach with sign Mount Dandenong, Montrose & Croydon. Driver in front with woman passenger and other passengers in coach. Four males are on the road, two passengers and two workmen. (2 copies)

Photograph - A.I.F photograph of Frederick Jeeves and Hubert Jeeves.

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Formal photograph of Frederick Jeeves (seated) and his younger brother Hubert Jeeves.

Photograph - Harry Booth

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Black and white photograph of young Harry Booth taken in a formal studio setting. Harry Booth was the son of Jack Booth, who owned Lots 37 and 38 in the Village Settlement and had access to creek water for successful berry crops. Harry was a local market agent and travelled to Victoria Market carrying produce from local settlers.Harry carried a variety of produce by horse and cart, apparently a twenty-four hour round trip, until the business was sold in the early 1920's.

Historical information

Studio photograph of Harry Booth. A young man wearing a dark, three piece suit, collar and tie. Included in the Dorey/Woolrich collection.

Inscriptions & Markings

Harry Booth Eden Studios Post Card

Photograph - Mount Dandenong Primary School 1997

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Students playing on the basketball/tennis court below the school oval in 1997

Photograph - Eunice Chapman nee Haddrick

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Studio photograph of Eunice Chapman, nee Haddrick, Ed Chapman's mother. Late 1800s

Inscriptions & Markings

On back of photo - Eunice Chapman nee Hadrick.

Photograph - Site of Kyeema Aircraft Crash

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Woman looking down slope towards the actual site of the Kyeema aircraft crash which occurred on October 25th, 1938. The Douglas DC-2 Kyeema, operated by Australian National Airways, was en-route from Adelaide to Melbourne when it overshot Essendon Airport by 20 miles. Descending in thick cloud, it crashed into the western face of Mt Dandenong, killing all 18 occupants.

Photograph - The Curry Family

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Posed group photo of the Curry family. 10 people in the photo.

Photograph - Kyeema Crash Wreckage 1938

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Photograph showing twisted metal and broken trees at the site of the Kyeema DC-2 aircraft crash into the western slope of Mt Dandenong on 25th October 1938. All 18 on board perished.

Photograph - Mt Dandenong Store

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Black & white photograph of Dower's house and shop built on the corner of Old Coach Road and Farndons Road in Mt Dandenong. A man, woman and two children are in the foreground. Donated as a jpeg digital image.

Historical information

The Mt Dandenong Post Office & Store was originally built by Will Dower. The house and shop was built in 1912 and staffed by Ruby and Ada Dower. It became the Post Office in 1917 when Lil Badenhop sold her business following the death of her daughter Myrtle. The Post Office and Store closed in 1926 when the new premises opened on the Main Road.

Photograph - Sunnyside - The Rock

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

J G Roberts (head on rock) with Sculptor C. Web Gilbert at The Rock in the grounds of Sunnyside - country home of J G Roberts. Note sculpting tools.

Photograph - Peace Memorial Plaque FiveWays, Kalorama c1994

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Close up shows the names of local volunteers in the AIF. Note: 'Peace of 1919". Official peace with Germany was June 29th, 1919.

Photograph - Mary Dorey

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Studio photograph of Mary Dorey 1883-1918. Mary was the elder sister of Iris Dorey. Mary died on Feb 27th, 1918 after a fall downstairs at Quamby following an epileptic seizure.

Photograph - Church of England, Olinda

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Church of England. Monash Avenue, Olinda. The descriptive text on the reverse of this photograph was hand written by John Lundy-Clarke.

Inscriptions & Markings

Church of England Olinda When the church was built it faced on to the main Mt Dandenong Road but the road was deviated in and the main road section in front of the Village Settlement blocks was named Monash Avenue. The chapel built on Mrs Warner’s land on Mernda Road (later Coonara Road) was shifted in 1936 by Dick Mitlan using Jack Clarkes Ford truck as traction plant.

Photograph - Snow at Olinda c1950

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Car parked in an Olinda street during heavy snowfall. c1950

Photograph - Rowse Brothers Worman's Cottage

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

1972 photograph of the Rowse Brothers workman's cottage built on the bank of the Olinda Creek in 1938.This photograph has a detailed inscription on the back handwritten by John Lundy-Clarke in 1974.

Inscriptions & Markings

Rowse Bros Workman’s Cottage built in 1938 on bank of the Olinda Creek at the 800’ contour on Crown Allotment 925B of materials and bricks taken on demolishing in the same year the house built in 1897 for J.W. Richardson before his marriage to Jeanie Green and their family’s home till 1912 when they went to Queensland. Sold to Rowses in 1913 was Rowse family home till the thirties then workman’s cottage. Chimney built by J. Lundy-Clarke. Picture Dec 1972 by JLC.

Photograph - OBSERVATORY, Mt Dandenong

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Postcard showing Mt Dandenong Trig Point Observatory on the RHS and a covered shelter on the LHS. Early 1900s.

Inscriptions & Markings

On front of postcard: OBERVATORY, MT DANDENONG

Photograph - Olinda Quamby Cafe

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

View of interior of Quamby Café set up for a function with hanging decorations and flower arrangements.

Inscriptions & Markings

On front - "Olinda Quamby Café" On Back - Lilly Dingley

Photograph - Dewrang

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

B & W Rose Series postcard showing a close up front view of Dewrang Guest House with a group of adults crowded together on the front verandah.

Historical information

Dewrang Guest House is situated at the corner of The Crescent and the Mt Dandenong Tourist Road at Sassafras. It belonged to the Green family who owned the garage and coach service which operated from the site of the current Sassafras Tavern. Dewrang burned down in 1931. The Argus July 27 1931 FIRE AT SASSAFRAS. Guest House Burnt. SASSAFRAS - Sunday ‘Dewrang’ one of the oldest guest houses in the town was, with its contents, burnt yesterday. The property was owned by Mr J Green, of Kallista, and was occupied by Mr R Gros. Mr Gros and family lost all their belongings. The building was insured for £3,500 and the contents for approximately £1,200

Inscriptions & Markings

The Rose Series P. 143 "DEWRANG" SASSAFRAS, VICTORIA

Photograph - Snow Scene Main Street Olinda c1950

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Cars and small bus in Main Street Olinda during heavy snow c1950.

Photograph - Olinda Girls Practising Maypole Dance 1911

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Olinda girls practise the Maypole dance at 'Hillcrest' on Mernda Road in 1911. From front left circling back are: Lois Lyons, Edie Jackson, Beth Barrow, Phyllis Murray, Amy Allen, Jessie Ebbels, Faith Beatty, Vera Devine, Maggie Schneider, Vera Watson, Hope Barrow, Dolly Witt. The descriptive text on the reverse of this photograph was hand written by John Lundy-Clarke.

Inscriptions & Markings

1911 Olinda girls practicing the maypole dance under the direction of Vera Devine at the Devine’s home “Hillcrest” Mernda Road. Left to right from front circling 1. Lois Lyons 2. Edie Jackson 3. Beth Barrow 4. Phyllis Murray 5. Amy Allen 6. Jessie Ebbels 7. Faith Beatty 8. Vera Devine 9. Maggie Schneider 10. Vera Watson 11. Hope Barrow 12. Dolly Witt head just showing over ribbon on left. From Mrs A Dodd (Vera Devine) Copied by J.L.C. 1974

Photograph - Iris Woolrich With Church Officials

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Iris Woolrich with a group of Church officials. L to R: Rev Stephen Coggins, Padre Frank Oliver, Rev A.C. Miles (wheelchair), Iris Woolrich, Archbishop Woods, Mr John Spicer (diocesan lay reader). c1980

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten on reverse with green pen: L to R: Rev Stephen Coggins, Padre Frank Oliver, Rev A.C. Miles (wheelchair), Mrs. Iris Woolrich, Archbishop Woods, Mr John Spicer (diocesan lay reader).

Photograph - Observatory, Mount Dandenong

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Postcard showing the rock walled base of the Observatory and Trig Point on Mt Dandenong on the RHS and a roofed picnic shelter on the LHS. There are 6 men seated or standing on the rock base.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front of postcard: Observatory, Mount Dandenong. On back of postcard: Mason, Firth & McCutcheon, Printers, Melbourne.

Photograph - Open Fire Place in Worker's Cottage

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Photograph taken in 1972 showing an open fire place built of recycled brick in a worker's cottage. This photograph has a detailed inscription on the back handwritten by John Lundy-Clarke in 1974.

Inscriptions & Markings

Open fire place in workers cottage built of bricks from house built for John William Richardson 1897. Chimney built for Rowses by J. Lundy-Clarke May 1938. Picture taken 18-11-72 Richardsons house was pulled down by Rowse Bros. 1937-8.

Photograph - Pickers picnicking in a crop on Hillsde c1920.

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Two men, a woman and a dog sitting in a crop with Mountjoy Guest-house in the distance.

Photograph - The New Garden Mountain Grange Kalorama 1931

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

View of garden and part of circular paths. Man in suit holding young child on right hand side.

Photograph - Kalorama Guest-house - Front View

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Looking down on Kalorama Guest-house from Barbers Road. Property of Ellis and Eliza Jeeves before moving to Mountjoy

Photograph - Eliza Jeeves nee Hand c1910

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Portrait of Eliza Jeeves, wife of Ellis Jeeves. Co-proprietor of Mountjoy. Managed the guesthouse.

Photograph - Olinda Footballers 1909

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Posed photograph of Olinda Football Team 1909.

Inscriptions & Markings

Olinda Footballers

Photograph - School Sports Olinda 1909

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

View of school children from Olinda State school at the Sports on Mernda (now Coonara) Road in 1909. The descriptive text on the reverse of this photograph was hand written by John Lundy-Clarke.

Inscriptions & Markings

Olinda 1909 School sports on the (now) Coonara Road below the school.

Photograph - Woolrich family and Friends

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

L - R Ted Woolrich, Auntie Alice, Iris Woolrich, Stan's daughter,Alice Hamilton, Stan's wife, Stan O'Connor.

Photograph - Snow at Mt Dandenong Primary School 1995.

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Snow at Mt Dandenong Primary School 5th September 1995. Snow lasted 3 days.

Photograph - Miss Stewart With Sister Mrs Devine and Family

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Photograph taken in LyreBird Gully of Miss Stewart (top) and her sister Mrs Devine with the Devine children Vera and Stewart. 1911

Inscriptions & Markings

1911 From top Miss Stewart and her sister Mrs Devine Vera (Mrs Alan Dodd) Stewart. In Lyrebird Gully Mrs Dodd’s collection. Copied by J.L.C. 1974.

Photograph - Visitors to the site of the Kyeema Crash 1978

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Three visitors at the cairn marking the site of the October 1938 crash of the aircraft Kyeema.

Photograph - Mt Dandenong Post Office Near Blythes Road

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Black and white photograph of Dower's house and shop built on the corner of Old Coach Road and Farndons Road in Mt Dandenong. A boy with a bicycle can be seen at the LHS edge of the photograph and the Mt Dandenong State School building directly behind the shop.

Historical information

The Mt Dandenong Post Office & Store was originally built by Will Dower. The house and shop was built in 1912 and staffed by Ruby and Ada Dower. It became the Post Office in 1917 when Lil Badenhop sold her business following the death of her daughter Myrtle. The Post Office and Store closed in 1926 when the new premises opened on the Main Road.

Photograph - "Bella Vista" Olinda

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Copy of Rose Series Postcard #3762 showing Bella Vista Guest House at Olinda. This image is c1940s and shows the tennis court in the foreground. Bella Vista was built by Edmund Boulter in 1903. It comprised two large buildings with a walkway linking the balconies at second storey level. Views of Westernport and Port Phillip Bays could be seen from the rooftop lookout. Bella Vista was reputed to accommodate eighty guests. The Guest House operated until 1956, when it burned down.

Historical information

Copy of Rose Series Postcard number 3762

Photograph - Mount Dandenong Primary School 1997

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Section of Mural wall painted by parents and students to commemorate the school centenary 1897 - 1997.

Photograph - Car On New Road Blocked By Tree

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Site said to be the new Mt. Dandenong Tourist Road a short distance past present Silvandale Store (Kalorama Post Office now). Early model vehicle and passengers delayed by tree across road. Not much progress being made with axe.

Photograph - Snowman at Post Office Olinda

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Group of people building a very large snowman outside the Olinda Post Office and Wine Hall. The Wine Hall was built by Joseph Gutmann in 1900 and the Post Office opened in 1901. Photo is from c1920s.

Photograph - Kalorama Snow Scenes 1 & 2

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

1. Snow at FiveWays c1931. Lamp, cars and gallery visible. 2. Snow at Observatory Tea Rooms Mt. Dandenong c1940

Photograph - The Gap at Kalorama 1913

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

1913 scene looking up to Mountjoy Guest House at the Kalorama Gap (FiveWays). Post Office and tea rooms with white picket fence. Jeeves Coach on the road. This photograph has a detailed inscription on the back handwritten by John Lundy-Clarke in 1974.

Inscriptions & Markings

The Gap Kalorama 1913. ‘Mountjoy’ guest house. Mount Dandenong North Post Office. Jeeves coach.

Photograph - Mount Dandenong Primary School 1997

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Grounds at Mount Dandenong Primary School overlooking the Helen Dixon Embankment

Scissors

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Framed gold and silver scissors presented to Mrs Eliza Jeeves to cut the ribbon to connect electricity to Mt Dandenong on 3rd August 1934

Historical information

Electricity was connected to Mt Dandenong and Kalorama on 3 August 1934 in a community event at the CWA Hall (Farndon’s Hall) Farndon’s Rd Mt Dandenong.

Significance

community event connection of electricity.

Inscriptions & Markings

“Mt Dandenong 3.8.34 Presented to Mrs E Jeeves”

Photograph - Mt Dandenong In Winter

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Black & white image showing snow covered crops in the foreground with houses in the background. Received as a jpeg digital file 377KB

Historical information

Image donated by the Dower Family and probably shows the berry crops under snow at Cambridge Gardens, the Dower property.

Inscriptions & Markings

On front of image: Mt Dandenong in Winter

Photograph - Street View, Olinda

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Small photograph, number 1 in Olinda series, showing a view of the Main Street of Olinda late 1930s. V.J. Boulter's Olinda General Store with butcher and bakery in foreground. Road not yet made.

Historical information

Number 1 in commercial series.

Photograph - Snow at Olinda 1921

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Heavy snowfall on the road outside Quamby Café in Olinda in 1921. Car and bus tyre tracks are clearly visible. The photo appears to be taken through glass.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten on back in blue pen: Snow 1921

Photograph - ANZAC DAY 1952

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Copy of a photograph showing children from Mt Dandenong State School at an ANZAC Commemoration at the school in 1952. There are four girls and three boys standing behind the School WW1 Honour Board that is surrounded by wreaths of flowers.

Historical information

The names of five of the children in the photograph were supplied by Betty Munro after viewing the image on Victorian Collections. L - R: unknown boy, Cynthia Ramage, Betty Munro, Marion Moorby, Frances Barton (nickname 'Bubbles'), Joan Wenborn, unknown boy.

Inscriptions & Markings

On front of photograph: ANZAC DAY 1952 MOUNT DANDENONG STATE SCHOOL NO: 3284

Photograph - "Observatory," Dandenong Mountains (Vic.)

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Postcard showing the Trig Point Observatory on Mt Dandenong. Two women and a man are standing on the rock base. Early 1900s.

Inscriptions & Markings

Printed on front of postcard: "OBSERVATORY," DANDENONG MOUNTAINS (VIC.) Printed on back of postcard: Photographed by ERASMUS B. ALLAN, Fitzroy ASK FOR Allan's "Guide to the Dandenong Mountains." Published Shortly. Price 1/- HUTCHINSON'S Lit. Collins Street Melbourne.

Photograph - Beauty Spots in Australia. Sassafras

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

A small, paper envelope containing 12 photographs of Sassafras that are reproductions of Rose Series postcards. There are 10 different photographs, 32a and 32c have doubles.

Historical information

This set of small photographs was produced by the Rose Stenograph Co. c1913 to be included in photograph albums. The area known as South Sassafras, was opened up for settlement in 1893 and the name was changed to Kallista in 1925.

Inscriptions & Markings

Envelope : BEAUTY SPOTS in AUSTRALIA 12 Real Photographs For Your Snapshot Album Published by the Rose Stenograph Co. Rear 17 Auburn Grove, Armadale, Vic 3.E.3 SASSAFRAS, VICTORIA Photograph 32a - THE ROSE SERIES P. 905 CLEMATIS AVENUE, SHERBROOKE, VIC. Photograph 32b - THE ROSE SERIES P. 1603 THE CASCADES, SASSAFRAS, VIC. Photograph 32c - THE ROSE SERIES P. 204 PANORAMA AT SASSAFRAS, VIC. Photograph 32d - THE ROSE SERIES P. 4046 MAIN ROAD, SASSAFRAS, VIC. Photograph 32e - THE ROSE SERIES P. 1502 SASSAFRAS CREEK, SASSAFRAS, VIC. Photograph 32f - THE ROSE SERIES P. 1501 TOURIST TRACK, SASSAFRAS, VIC. Photograph 32g - THE ROSE SERIES P. 4244 TOURIST TRACK, SOUTH SASSAFRAS, VIC. Photograph 32h - THE ROSE SERIES P. 2725 CLEMATIS AVENUE, SHERBROOKE, VIC. Photograph 32i - MAIN ROAD, SASSAFRAS, VIC. Photograph 32j - THE OLINDA - SASSAFRAS ROAD, VIC.

Photograph - Local People In Front Of the Completed Methodist Church FiveWays c1911 or c1912

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

The congregation gathers outside the newly built church. All are well dressed, most wearing hats.There appears to be 14 women, 8 men (one the pastor) and 9 children.The elderly lady appears to be Mrs Eliza Hand, though no lace collar or hat. There is no window in the porch.

Photograph - Kamanange - Robinson Family Holiday House c1930, Scenic Drive, Kalorama.

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

View of timber house with a man and two children standing on the balcony