Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc. Mt Dandenong, Victoria

The Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc. encourages and facilitates the collection, research, documentation and dissemination of images, written and oral records and objects representing the history of Mt Dandenong and the surrounding districts of Kalorama, Olinda, Sassafras, Ferny Creek and Tremont from first settlement to the present. The collection will be developed as an historical and educational resource for the community. Due to storage restraints the majority of the collection comprises early photographs and ephemera.

Contact Information

location
PO Box 182 Olinda Victoria 3788
phone
+61 03 9728 1437

Contact

Opening Hours

The Historical Society holds meetings on the 1st Saturday of the month from 10am - 12pm at Farndons Community Hall. Cnr Falls Rd & Farndons Rd., Mt. Dandenong. All Welcome.

Entry Fee

Annual membership of MDDHS is $20 for an individual membership and $30 for a couple.

Location

Farndons Community Hall 42 Falls Road Mt Dandenong Victoria

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

407 items

Photograph - Quamby Cottage

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Quamby Cottage LHS and Quamby Café the larger building RHS. Cottage and café built by the Dorey family in 1914. Photograph taken from the hill opposite (possibly near Cloudehill on Olinda -Monbulk Road. Cottage was destroyed by fire. Quamby Café now Cuckoo Restaurant.

Inscriptions & Markings

On back of photograph - Quamby + cottage from opposite hill.

Photograph - The Gap at Kalorama 1913

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

1913 scene looking up to Mountjoy Guest House at the Kalorama Gap (FiveWays). Post Office and tea rooms with white picket fence. Jeeves Coach on the road. This photograph has a detailed inscription on the back handwritten by John Lundy-Clarke in 1974.

Inscriptions & Markings

The Gap Kalorama 1913. ‘Mountjoy’ guest house. Mount Dandenong North Post Office. Jeeves coach.

Photograph - Sim Kent's Bullocks

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Sim Kent's Bullocks at the Ebbels property in Olinda. c1911 The descriptive text on the reverse of this photograph was hand written by John Lundy-Clarke.

Inscriptions & Markings

Sim Kent’s bullocks at Ebbels. Sim lived at Coonara Springs.

Photograph - Mrs Norman Jones, nee Lily Jeeves

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Mrs Norman Jones, nee Lily Jeeves

Photograph - Workers at Range View Nursery

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Iris and Ted Woolrich pose with a group at Range View Nursery in the 1950s. Bagged rhododendrons at the front. L to R: John Jaggers, Henk Koelwyn, Ted Woolrich, Iris Woolrich & Alice.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten on the reverse in pencil: John Jaggers, Henk, Ted, Alice & Iris

Photograph - Rowse Brothers Worman's Cottage

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

1972 photograph of the Rowse Brothers workman's cottage built on the bank of the Olinda Creek in 1938.This photograph has a detailed inscription on the back handwritten by John Lundy-Clarke in 1974.

Inscriptions & Markings

Rowse Bros Workman’s Cottage built in 1938 on bank of the Olinda Creek at the 800’ contour on Crown Allotment 925B of materials and bricks taken on demolishing in the same year the house built in 1897 for J.W. Richardson before his marriage to Jeanie Green and their family’s home till 1912 when they went to Queensland. Sold to Rowses in 1913 was Rowse family home till the thirties then workman’s cottage. Chimney built by J. Lundy-Clarke. Picture Dec 1972 by JLC.

Photograph - Mountjoy Coach Yard 1920

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Mountjoy coach yard 1920. Men standing with two horses are L - R Ellis Jeeves, Hubert Jeeves, Len Jones, Walter Jeeves.

Photograph - The Chalet, Olinda, Victoria

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Rose Series Postcard depicting "The Chalet" guest house at Olinda. Built c1906, The Chalet was situated at the southern corner of Chalet and McCarthy Roads. The building was destroyed by fire in 1935 and Ted Woolrich acquired the land.

Inscriptions & Markings

On front: The Rose Series P. 397

Photograph - The Wagon Road

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

The old Wagon Road built 1876-1878. This photograph has a detailed inscription on the back handwritten by John Lundy-Clarke in 1974.

Inscriptions & Markings

The Wagon Road. Built 1876 – 8. The first settler’s road in the Ranges as apart from Dray Tracks. Was built through Jeeves Selection, Crown Allotment “C” named “Jeeves saddle” and removed the monopoly held over travel through the Gap.

Photograph - Mt Dandenong Store

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Donated as a jpeg digital image that shows the Mt Dandenong Store on the corner of Helen Street and the Main Road in 1930. Two women and a man are standing at the front. Signs advertising the Store & Post Office, Age and Argus are clearly visible on top of the verandah.

Historical information

Image shows the Mt Dandenong Store and Post Office that replaced the former Post office and Store that was located on the corner of Old Coach and Farndons Roads. The store relocated following the opening of the new Main Road in 1926. The store pictured was on the corner of Helen Street and the Main Road. The image was taken in 1930. The photograph was taken by a member of the Dower family.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front of image: 1930 Second Mt Dandenong Store replacing original store (Blyths Road)

Lidded Box

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Decorative cube shaped box made from small tiles made from coconut shell. Brown in colour with a hinged lid. Additional carved decoration comprising acorns, flower and butterfly. Inside lid lined with red velvet.

Historical information

Mr JH Quinton of Olinda, Victoria had the unusual hobby of carving coconut shell. Over a 50 year period he carved thousands of curios and household articles. Supplies of coconuts were sent to him by his brother in Singapore. Known in the Dandenong Ranges as "The Coconut King", he carved many series, including Australian animals, likenesses of hundreds of men prominent in public life, tableaux of sporting activities, including a series depicting cricket strokes, a coconut tea set, butterflies, buttons and boxes. Mr Quinton was an engraver and his considerable can be seen in the fine detail and sense of movement he was able to capture in his carvings.

Photograph - The New Garden Mountain Grange Kalorama 1931

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Garden with circular paths and the side of the hill in background. On the right there is a house among the trees. Possibly Cherry Farm.

Photograph - Peace Memorial Plaque FiveWays, Kalorama c1994

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Close up shows the names of local volunteers in the AIF. Note: 'Peace of 1919". Official peace with Germany was June 29th, 1919.

Photograph - Percy Child

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Black and white photograph showing Percy Child using a cant-hook at Child Bros. Sawmill. This photograph has a detailed inscription on the back handwritten by John Lundy-Clarke.

Historical information

Percy Child was the son of Francis Matthew (Frank) Child whose father Mathew Child was one of the first three settlers in the area. Percy ran the Child Bros. Sawmill with his brother Harry.

Inscriptions & Markings

Charles Percival Child (Sammy) about 1910

Photograph - Iris Woolrich With Church Officials

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Iris Woolrich with a group of Church officials. L to R: Rev Stephen Coggins, Padre Frank Oliver, Rev A.C. Miles (wheelchair), Iris Woolrich, Archbishop Woods, Mr John Spicer (diocesan lay reader). c1980

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten on reverse with green pen: L to R: Rev Stephen Coggins, Padre Frank Oliver, Rev A.C. Miles (wheelchair), Mrs. Iris Woolrich, Archbishop Woods, Mr John Spicer (diocesan lay reader).

Photograph - Panorama of Olinda Sections 1 & 2 c1904

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Parts 1 and 2 of a set of 4 photographs that are placed side by side to give a panorama of the Main Street of Olinda c1904. Old buildings clearly visible.

Inscriptions & Markings

No 1 of Panorama of Olinda 1904. No 2 of Panorama of Olinda 1904

Photograph - Olinda Rifle Range 1903

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Scene showing 12 men at the Olinda Rifle Range in 1903. One man firing rifle. Reverse of photograph has handwritten description by John Lundy-Clarke.

Inscriptions & Markings

The Rifle Range at Olinda 1903. Was in the area of the Rhododendron Gardens by Georgian Road and the GolfLinks.

Photograph - Pit Silo 1974 view

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Photograph taken in 1974 showing John Lundy-Clarke standing beside the pit silo he dug in he 1920s on Dunbar's Lot 20 of the Village Settlement. The pit silo was to hold cut maize to turn into silage for a food supply for the cows in the winter.

Inscriptions & Markings

A 1974 view of the pit silo and its maker at Lot 20 of the Village Settlement (Dunbar’s lot) The trees in the background cover the landslide of 1891-1934.

Photograph - Jack Dodd of Olinda With Family 1904

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Jack Dodd, son of George Dodd with his wife and children Alan (eldest), Fred and Guy. c1904. The descriptive text on the reverse of this photograph was hand written by John Lundy-Clarke.

Inscriptions & Markings

Jack Dodd and wife nee Thomas with children Alan the eldest, Fred and Guy.

Photograph - Kyeema Crash Site Cairn 1978

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Macarthur Job at the cairn unveiled at the 40 year anniversary of the crash of the aircraft Kyeema (October 1938).

Photograph - Mt Dandenong Trig Point

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Couple seated at Mt Dandenong Trig Point. (2 copies)

Photograph - Post Office and 'Mountjoy', Mt. Dandenong North

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Copy of Rose Series postcard #182 showing Kalorama Gap in 1913. Haystacks in foreground with Mountjoy Guest House and Beulah Tea Rooms/Mt Dandenong North Post Office in centre. This photograph has a detailed inscription on the back handwritten by John Lundy-Clarke in 1974.

Historical information

Rose Series post card #182

Inscriptions & Markings

Kalorama Gap in 1913 The elm trees are in the centre of the picture. One of these is really two as two suckers of the further tree were twisted together by Fred Jeeves in 1898 and grew as one tree. The other was planted in 1880. The shop is the shop of Mrs Eliza Hand and daughter Florence. The closed in far end of the verandah was the Mount Dandenong North Post Office. The large house is “Mountjoy” owned and run by the Jeeves Family from 1908 till 1943. It was built in 1905 by the Paynters who sold to Ellis Jeeves in 1908.He moved his line of coaches from “Kalorama” his old homestead and housed the horses in a line of stables behind “Mountjoy”. Price’s house, which contained their shop, the first one on the mountain, opened 1906, can be seen faintly behind the pine tree opposite the bend in the road, which was the main road then and now is Ridge Road. The Price’s house just shows in two tiny pieces, one on each side of the pine tree half way up. The house to the right of and high up the pine tree is Walker’s cottage which exists today opposite Jack Kidd’s home at the far edge of Lt 2 Village Settlement and was between Main Road and Barbers Road which runs down the left behind the elms. Walker’s homestead can be seen near left edge of picture 2/3 way up. The roof of the Methodist Church shows among trees left of picture. This, like Mrs Hand’s shop was built on portions separated from Isaac Jeeves’ Selection “C” known as Jeeves Saddle.

Photograph - Snow Scenes at Kalorama 5 & 6

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

5. Children in snow outside Robinson Holiday House. 6. Walker going along Main Road near Hand's Paddock (Kalorama Memorial Reserve).

Photograph - Mt Dandenong School 3284 1932

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Formal School photograph taken of students in front of school building in 1932.

Inscriptions & Markings

On back of photograph a stamp: G.E.HAINS Photographer 61 HARCOURT ST. HAWTHORN EAST. E3 1/6

Photograph - Group Outside Quamby Cafe

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Three adults and two children standing outside the front of Quamby Café Olinda c1940s.Advertising signs show café, Grills and Sennitts Icecream. This is the Quamby café at its largest size and the front is similar to the entry to the Cuckoo Restaurant today. Inscription on the back identifies Anne, Eric, Lindy & Irene.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back in pencil: Anne, Eric & Lindy & Irene outside Quamby.

Photograph - Home Of Francis Matthew Child

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Black and white photograph showing the homestead of Francis Matthew Child.This photograph has a detailed inscription on the back handwritten by John Lundy-Clarke.

Historical information

The homestead of Francis Matthew Child taken from the forest area downstream of Child Bros. Sawmill.

Inscriptions & Markings

Francis Matthews home on Crown Allotment “E” taken from the forest edge of Harry Child miners lease on which he had his mill. Mill was upstream to the left. The trees in the background were on Hand’s selection “F” and beyond them was the summit of Mt Kalorama.

Photograph - Southall's Newsagency Olinda

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Small photograph from the Olinda township showing view of Southall's Newsagency with milkbar and confectionary. There are many old advertising signs clearly visible. The road is not yet made so this would place the date around the late 1920s.

Photograph - Snow at Olinda 1921

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Heavy snowfall on the road outside Quamby Café in Olinda in 1921. Car and bus tyre tracks are clearly visible. The photo appears to be taken through glass.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten on back in blue pen: Snow 1921

Photograph - Woolrich Service Car

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Jim Woolrich driving the Woolrich Service Car. Sign reads Sassafras - Olinda. Jim and his father George set up the car service in 1917 but it did not last long.

Inscriptions & Markings

Jim Woolrich in their Touring Car.

Photograph

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Three women and two men standing on a bridge, location unknown. Clothes are 1920s.Members of Dorey or Woolrich families.

Photograph - Snow Scene at Olinda c1950

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Snow scene at Olinda c1950 showing people in snow and old car.

Photograph - Snow at Mt Dandenong Primary School 1995

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Three children playing in snow covering bank and oval at Mt Dandenong Primary School 5th September 1995. Snow lasted three days.

Photograph - Robinson Family Property c1930

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Unnamed woman outside additional Robinson family property in Scenic Cres. Kalorama.

Photograph - Wedding of Mr and Mrs Norman Jones

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Wedding of Norman Jones and Lily Jones, nee Jeeves.

Photograph - Mt Dandenong Store

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Black & white photograph of Dower's house and shop built on the corner of Old Coach Road and Farndons Road in Mt Dandenong. A man, woman and two children are in the foreground. Donated as a jpeg digital image.

Historical information

The Mt Dandenong Post Office & Store was originally built by Will Dower. The house and shop was built in 1912 and staffed by Ruby and Ada Dower. It became the Post Office in 1917 when Lil Badenhop sold her business following the death of her daughter Myrtle. The Post Office and Store closed in 1926 when the new premises opened on the Main Road.

Photograph - Boy at the Water Pump Mountain Grange1931

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Unknown young boy at the water pump which is presumed to have been somewhere near the house, perhaps close to the Karwarra Gardens site.

Photograph - Mount Dandenong Primary School

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Pupils of Mount Dandenong Primary School outside the Teacher's Residence.

Photograph - Tourist Track To Monbulk

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Miss Gwen Roberts, daughter of John and Roberta Roberts of Sunnyside, South Sassafras (now Kallista), climbing a style on the Monbulk Track.

Inscriptions & Markings

Tourist Track To Monbulk G.G.M.

Photograph - Main Street Olinda c1950

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

c1950 Snow scene in Main Street Olinda with old car parked outside the store of J.H. Gill.

Photograph - Mountjoy Guest-House

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Mountjoy Guest-House showing north and west aspect.

Photograph - View From Range Road, Olinda. 1909

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

1909 view of Olinda showing 'Charlemont' guest house and the Olinda school on the skyline above Dodd's stables. Range Road (The Bullock Track) is in the foireground. The descriptive text on the reverse of this photograph was hand written by John Lundy-Clarke.

Inscriptions & Markings

1909 view of Olinda from Range Road (The Bullock Track). Showing school on skyline above Dodd’s stables with “Charlemont” on left.

Photograph - Dodd's Store and Coaches c1909.

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Hazy view of Jack Dodd's Store in Olinda's Main Street with carts in front c1909. Reverse of photograph has handwritten description by John Lundy-Clarke.

Inscriptions & Markings

Dodd’s store Olinda 1905? With his butcher’s cutting cart leading the line of coaches in the Bayswater Sassafras Olinda run.

Photograph - Snowfall At Chalet Road

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Postcard made for E. Woorich "Range View" Olinda showing Chalet Road in Olinda under snow in 1921.

Inscriptions & Markings

Printed on back in purple ink: E. Woorich "Range View" Olinda Handwritten in pen: 1921 snowfall at Chalet Road.

Photograph - Jessie Wyles at Emerald Creek

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Young girl in a white pinafore and large, white hat sitting on a rock at the edge of Emerald Creek. Reverse of photograph has handwritten description by John Lundy-Clarke.

Inscriptions & Markings

Emerald Creek Emerald Creek with Jessie Wyles

Photograph - Miss Daisy Rowse

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Daisy Rowse, daughter of W. Rowse.

Photograph - The Main Road, Sassafras

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Small b & w photograph from a series of 8 showing scenes from Sassafras produced by the Rose Stenograph Co. c1913.

Historical information

This set of 8 photographs was produced by the Rose Stenograph Co. c1913 to be included in photograph albums. The show tourist scenes of Sassafras and surrounds. The photographs were donated by a family in Western Australia whose parents lived in Sassafras c1918.

Inscriptions & Markings

On reverse - The Main Road, Sassafras.

Photograph - St Matthew's Sunday School, Olinda. c1935

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

Young students from St Matthew's Sunday School, Olinda holding the Sunday School Shield. C 1935. The pictured shield is kept in the St Matthew's Church Hall. From the back L - R. ?, Jean Patterson, Peggy Hall, Roy Breen, Mona Griffin, ?, Gwen Evans, Douglas Hall, Bill Brown, Keith Evans, Stewart Brown, Jack Breen, Ian Ellis, ?, ?, ?, Jeff Evans, Russell Hall, ?, ?, John Miles, Frank Boulter, Joan Boulter, Geoff Miles, Joan Bartlett, Nan Breen, Thomas Hall.

Carved Coconut Shell Figurines

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

A collection of figurines carved from coconut shell, brown in colour including animals, sporting activities, tableaux of everyday life and prominent people. Each figure is attached to a thin, wooden base to enable it to stand.

Historical information

Mr JH Quinton of Olinda, Victoria had the unusual hobby of carving coconut shell. Over a 50 year period he carved thousands of curios and household articles. Supplies of coconuts were sent to him by his brother in Singapore. Known in the Dandenong Ranges as "The Coconut King", he carved many series, including Australian animals, likenesses of hundreds of men prominent in public life, tableaux of sporting activities, including a series depicting cricket strokes, a coconut tea set, butterflies, buttons and boxes. Mr Quinton was an engraver and his considerable can be seen in the fine detail and sense of movement he was able to capture in his carvings.

Photograph - George Dodd With Daughter Jessie 1890

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

1890 picture of George Dodd and his daughter Jessie (Mrs Ebbels) with the Dodd home in the background. The descriptive text on the reverse of this photograph was hand written by John Lundy-Clarke.

Inscriptions & Markings

1890 picture of George Dodd with his daughter Jessie (Mrs Ebbels) with the Dodd home in the background. Remains of the house were burned in the bushfires between 1910 and 1926 when Alan grandson of George and his wife Vera, nee Devine, started to build their home on the same spot and developed the present extensive flower farm “Rainbow Gully”.

Photograph - Kalorama Snow Scenes 2 & 3

Mt Dandenong & District Historical Society Inc., Mt Dandenong

2 & 3 Snow at Hand's Paddock (Kalorama Memorial Reserve 1939) c1931.