Founded in 1861, the National Gallery of Victoria is Australia's oldest public art gallery. Since 1861, the National Gallery of Victoria has been displaying art works for the enjoyment of the community. In the mid-1990s, the gallery acknowledged that its St Kilda Road building could no longer successfully meet the demands of its growing collection and extensive exhibitions schedule. The Victorian State Government agreed to an extensive redevelopment of the site, and also contribute towards the funding of a second NGV building at Federation Square. The Collection is split between The Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia at Federation Square, home of Australian art, and NGV International at St Kilda Road, the redeveloped building dedicated to the gallery's magnificent international artworks. Our visitors have two wonderful NGV buildings dedicated to bringing art and people together.
National Gallery of Victoria Collection (1861)
This Victorian State Collection is managed by the National Gallery of Victoria, which was founded in 1861 to maintain, conserve, develop and promote a State collection of works of art. The Gallery has two venues in Melbourne: one on St Kilda Road (featuring international artworks), and the other at Federation Square (featuring Australian artworks). The collection is made up of twelve major components: ? Australian Art ? Australian Fashion & Textiles ? Australian Prints & Drawings ? Australian Photography ? Indigenous ? International Art ? International Fashion & Textiles ? International Prints & Drawings ? International Photography ? Decorative Arts & Antiquities ? Asian Art ? Oceanic & Pre-Columbian
Themes: Connecting Victorians by transport and communications, Transforming and managing land and natural resources, Governing Victorians, Building community life, Shaping cultural and creative life