Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc. Ballarat Central, Victoria

The origins of the Ballarat Old Colonists’ Association can be traced back to 1867 when James Oddie instigated a reunion of early gold miners. The group was known initially as the Golden Point Old Pioneers Association and later simply as the Ballarat Pioneers Association. The miners initially met on an ad hoc basis for social purposes and in 1883 meetings were formalised becoming the formal beginning. The name was changed over and finally to its current ‘The Old Colonists’ Association of Ballarat’.

The home of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat was constructed in 1887-9 on the site of the barracks and stables of the gold escort in Lydiard Street North. The Association represented the early pioneers in the vicinity, who came in search of gold from the 1850s. It was a benevolent body that aimed to specifically assist indigent miners.

The original objectives of the Association were documented in August 1883 as follows:
"To form a band of brotherhood amongst those whose past experience in commercial and mining pursuits so intimately associate them with the early history of the goldfields; men to whose indomitable energy and perseverance Ballarat and other mining centres of the Colony are so largely indebted for their development and commercial property. Some of whose names are also closely identified with the memorable and sanguinary struggle for Freedom and Constitutional Liberty i 1854 (Eureka). To gather within one fold, those who survived stirring times; to meet occasionally in friendly and social intercourse; to relieve our brethren who are overtaken by sickness or affliction; t provide the shelter of a house for those Pioneers of the Goldfields whom the reverses of fortune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years; to assist the widow and succor the orphan; to materially cheer and support each other in our temporary troubles and vicissitudes, as we journey onward to the grave; and lastly, to render a tribute of respect to the memory of a departed brother, by following his remains to their final resting place."

The Old Colonists’ Association (OCA) know captures the spirit of the original objectives and interprets it to suit contemporary needs. It remains as a philanthropic charitable organisation providing accommodation for elderly people. In the 1920s Charles Anderson Grove was established to provide low cost accommodation to the elderly and currently twenty seven homes are available (constructed in stages between 1923 and 1983) with each Independent Living Unit identified by a name plate referencing the benefactor. Accommodation is offered at significantly below market rates. The Association has been providing low cost accommodation to the elderly since the 1920s. A number of further Independent Living Units to be built at Charles Anderson Grove will be constructed in the near future. The OCA Council oversees the running of this facility on a voluntary basis. The OCA is a Public Benevolent Institution with the Australian Tax Office Deductible Gift Recipient Status.

Links

Contact Information

location
14-16 Lydiard (North) Street Ballarat Central Victoria 3350

Contact

Opening Hours

The Old Colonist's Club is open to members. Visits can be arranged by appointment, or during special openings such as Ballarat Heritage Weekend (May)

Entry Fee

N/A

Location

16-14 Lydiard (North) Street Ballarat Central Victoria

Bernadette 30 April 2019 2:03 PM

I have been referred to you to ask about the availability of accommodation.

Clare Gervasoni 30 April 2019 3:34 PM

Hi Bernadette, There are some requirements for entrance to our retirement village. Please direct your enquiry to the Old Colonists' Association, 20 Lydiard Street South Ballarat, or drop into the Old Colonists' Hall and ask the manager for further details.

Leave a comment

235 items

235 items

Image - Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Residence - Barker Home

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Colour photograph of Barker Cottage at The Old Colonists' Assiation of Ballarat Inc retirement village at Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat.

Historical information

This home was completed in 1938. It was the gift of Mr and Mrs Barker. One of the first objectives of the Association was "to provide the shelter of a hose for those Pioneers of the Goldfields whom the reverses of fortune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years." The first home at Charles Anderson Grove was built in 1925. Before that time the Association provided relief for needy pioneers. relief included monthly monetary payments, loads of firewood, medical assistance and distribution of Christmas bosed of groceries to deserving pensioners, and in some cases payment of burial costs. ::a) The dominant purpose of the Association is to give public benevolent relief as a charity, but providing independent living accommodation in our Retirement Village for person in need who are over 65. ::b) To raise funds by membership subscription, commercial and residential rents, donations, gifts and voluntary work, for the purpose of providing direct relief of poverty, distress, misfortune or helplessness. ::c) To maintain the important heritage and ongoing viability of the Old Colonists' Association. (Revised Rules of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., 2016)

Photograph - Colour - Interior View of the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall, 2015

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Image - Edward Grose

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photographic portrait of Edward Grose, member of the Old Colonists Association of Ballarat. He was manager of the Ballarat Star. In March 1873 he married Robina Orr, daughter of Archibald Fulton Orr, at Mount Bolton.

Image - Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Residence - Unit 1-6 Ascot Street, Ballarat

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Colour photograph of the former Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc homes in Ascot Street, Ballarat.

Historical information

These units were built in 1991. One of the first objectives of the Association was "to provide the shelter of a hose for those Pioneers of the Goldfields whom the reverses of fortune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years." The first home at Charles Anderson Grove was built in 1925. Before that time the Association provided relief for needy pioneers. relief included monthly monetary payments, loads of firewood, medical assistance and distribution of Christmas bosed of groceries to deserving pensioners, and in some cases payment of burial costs. ::a) The dominant purpose of the Association is to give public benevolent relief as a charity, but providing independent living accommodation in our Retirement Village for person in need who are over 65. ::b) To raise funds by membership subscription, commercial and residential rents, donations, gifts and voluntary work, for the purpose of providing direct relief of poverty, distress, misfortune or helplessness. ::c) To maintain the important heritage and ongoing viability of the Old Colonists' Association. (Revised Rules of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., 2016)

Photograph - Colour - Sculptural portrait over the door to the Ballarat Old Colonists' Club, 2016

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Sculptural portrait over the door to the Ballarat Old Colonists' Club.

Photograph - Colour - Gerald Jenzon Pours a Beear at the Old Colonists' Hall, 2008

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Colour photograph of the Gerald Jemzem pouring a beer at the Old Colonists' Hall.

Photograph - Colour - View from the Balcony of the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall, 2017

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph, sepia - Aboriginal Man and Woman in front of Two Scarred Trees

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Historical information

These early photos of Aboriginal people are thought to be Wedawurrung since they have been in the collection of the Old Colonists' Association for many years.

Photograph - Colour - Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall and Shops, 2017

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photographs of the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall and the four associated shops. The hall is located at 20 Lydiard Street South, Ballarat, and was built in 1887.

Photograph - Colour - Memorial to Harold Beresford Irwin

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photographs of a memorial seat to Harold Beresford Irwin in the grounds of Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat.

Historical information

Charles Anderson Grove is the retirement village of the Old Colonists' Association, Ballarat.

Inscriptions & Markings

Harold Beresford Irwin was born in Ballarat in 1882, and died here in 1862l He loved the flora of this country, and he concerned himself for many years with these gardens, and with the welfare of the Old Colonists. The park about these cottages is names to commemorate him.

Photograph - Colour - Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Homes, Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Historical information

HISTORY OF THE BALLARAT OLD COLONISTS' ASSOCIATION HOMES AT CHARLES ANDERSON GROVE, LAKE GARDENS One of the original objectives of the Association was “to provide the shelter of a house for those Pioneers of the Goldfields whom the reverses of fortune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years.” While the first home at Charles Anderson Grove was built in 1925 the Association had previously provided relief for needy pioneers from the time it was formed in 1883. Relief included monthly monetary payments, loads of firewood, medical assistance and distribution of Christmas boxes of groceries to deserving pensioners and in some cases payment of burial costs. Records indicate that in September 1922 three of the pensioners being assisted by the Association were accepted as residents in the newly erected Hassell Homes in Gillies Street (now demolished-opposite the High School). The first site for an Asylum for Indigent Members of the Old Colonists' Association was temporarily reserved from sale in October 1891. The site was approximately 28 acres in area in Mt Clear nearly opposite Midvale Shopping Centre in Main Road. The site was heavily timbered and when cleared over 260 tons of wood was sold to the Woah Hawp Gold Mining Company. A set of gates were erected but no homes built, although a plan for this reserve was drawn which showed twenty buildings ranging from one to four unit per building. The reserve was revoked in November 1909. The second site temporarily reserved in November 1909 as an Asylum was in Alfredton and consisted of some 7 acres and was adjacent to land reserved for an Abattoirs for the Ballarat Council. The reserve was revoked in February 1912 as it was deemed more appropriate to be added to the Abattoir site. Council suggested four (4) other sites in exchange for this land and they were inspected by the President, Vice President and Secretary on 22 December 1912. The first site inspected was land on the west side of Creswick Road opposite the brick kilns (now occupied by the showgrounds and oval). The land was described as being good quality, well fenced, no trees, good drainage and ample acreage but some distance from trams. The second site was Perry Park which was described as being good land, well fenced, having frontage to Gillies Street, good drainage and about 26 acres (but subsequently reduced to 10 acres). It was closely planted with Pinus Insignias and Wattle and had easy access from the Botanic Gardens tram. The third site was the North West portion of Victoria Park (corner of Sturt and Gillies Street) and was described as good land, well fenced and drained and well located. The fourth site was the South West corner of Victoria Park and known as Pound Paddock (corner of Winter Street and Gillies Street). It was considered to be low lying and too close to the Abattoir, and was also a considerable distance from trams. While the third site was recommended as the most suitable for the erection of homes it was considered unwise from the point of view as citizens to reduce the acreage of the park and therefore it was recommended that the Perry Park site be asked for as the most acceptable to the Association for the building of homes. The site was eventually temporarily reserved for an Asylum for Indigent Members of the Association in April 1914 with the gates from Mt Clear having been removed to the site a year earlier and eventually erected in 1917 for £12.10.0. In the same year the first 290 pine trees were advertised for removal in July and sold for £16. A sign indicating that the site was reserved for the erection of cottages was erected in September 1917. Stripping of the wattle bark (for tanning) and the cutting of the wood occurred in November 1918 with the land then being leased until it was required for the construction of the first homes in 1924. While the site was the third to be reserved it was the only one which was used for its intended purpose. It was named as Charles Anderson Grove in honour of Charles Anderson who joined the Association in 1918 and was President of the Association from 1942 to 1944.

Photograph - Colour - Old Colonists' Hall, Lydiard Street North, Ballarat

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph of the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall taken on Christmas Day when there were no cars parked out the front.

Miner's Right

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall Entrance Lobby, 2017

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Doctor Blake "Playing" Billiards at the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall, 2017

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Silver Trowel

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Silver trowel used during the laying of a foundation Stone for the Ballarat Old Colonists' Association building in Lydiard Street North, Ballarat.

Historical information

The silver trowel was used for the laying of the foundation stone of the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall. It was donated to the Old Colonists' Associaiton in 1906.(Abson, Phillip, ''The Old Colonist's Association of Ballarat: A Brief History.'')

Photograph - Colour - Cottages at the Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Retirement Village, 2018

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

The Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat retirement village at Charles Anderson Grove.

Photograph - Colour - New Cottages at the Old Colonist's Association Retirement Village, Charles Anderson Grove, 2019

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Colour phootgraphs of the ribbon cutting to name a new cottage at the Charles Anderson Grove retirement Village the Braybrook Cottage. Left to Right: Vince Braybrook, Glynis Braybrook, Jamie Sleep (OCA President), Jo Barber (OCA Vice President).

Historical information

Vince Braybrook was a member of the Old Colonists' Association Council and was actively involved with the building of 15 new cottages at Charles Anderson Grove.

Photograph - Colour - The entrance foyer of the Old Colonists' Club, 2015

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Colour photograph of a room with marble plaques on the wall. They relate to the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat,

Historical information

From the Argus Newspaper of 10 May 1888: "OLD COLONISTS' ASSOCIATION OF BALLARAT. (FROM OUR CORRESPONDENT.) BALLARAT, WEDNESDAY. This association, which was founded in August, 1883, and at first known as the Old Identities' Association, now has a roll of 450 members. The objects of the association are "to aid and assist indigent or suffering old colonists; to raise a fund, by the voluntary subscriptions of the members and the aid of outside donations, for the purpose of relieving members in sickness and old age ; for assisting those in extreme distress, to provide the shelter o a home for old and indigent pioneers of the gold fields, their widows, or anyone connected with the association, and in the event of the death of any member to have his remains decently buried, the association defraying the expenses of the funeral (providing that no funds or property are left by the deceased), and to attend the funeral if so desired by the relatives " The qualifications for member- ship are good character and repute, and residence in the colonies for a quarter of a century. For some time the association had no property except the regular subscriptions, but about a year ago they obtained from the Minister of Lands the grant of a very valuable block of land in Lydiard-street, the Crown grant of which they received last week. This block has a frontage of 66ft to Lydiard street, worth at least £100 a foot. The ground was given to the association as a site for them to build a hall upon, and with so valuable an asset they had no difficulty in borrowing at 7 per cent, enough money to construct a hall. For revenue purposes the ground floor of the building has been made into four shops, and the rental from these, judging from the rentals of shops in the vicinity, will not only pay all the interest on the borrowed money, but over £200 a year towards clearing off the principal. The officers of the association are Messrs J P Murray, president; J W Graham and T. Stoddart, vice presidents; D Fern, treasurer , and J Fraser, secretary. The Old Colonists' Hall is an elegant looking building in Lydiard-street, lying between the newly-opened mining exchange and the Commercial Club house, and a few doors north of the Post office. The style of the facade is classic. The lower portion of the front is constructed of Waurn Ponds stone, forming piers, and the upper portion of brick and cement, the background being tuckpointed. The centre bay is carried by two three quarter columns with Ionic cups, which support a pediment on which is set a cast of the Ballarat coat of arms. The four other bays are supported by pilasters with Corinthian caps mid partly fluted. The entrance is through a spacious circular headed doorway, the keystone of the arch of which bears a sculptured head, in marble, representing that of the president of the Old Colonists' Association here, Mr. John P Murray. An ample vestibule leads to a wide stone staircase which ends at a spacious landing. The landing has a dome over the centre, with cornice and enrichments, and is lighted from above. The walls round the landing are panelled with marble slabs, which are to be appropriately inscribed in the future. On the first door are the rooms appropriated to the association. The principal of these is a hall 44ft x 33ft and 17ft high. This room is well ventilated and lighted from the back of the building with large windows, and the walls are finished with Keene's cement. The other rooms are committee room, 14ft x 16ft; scretary's, 14ft x 17ft 6in; kitchen, bedrooms, bathroom, &c. The front portion of the first floor is arranged so that it may be let for offices, or utilised for club purposes. Suitable provision has been made throughout tor lighting, ventilation, and means of egress. The architect for the edifice is Mr A. G Legge, of this city, and the contractors are Messrs. Whitelaw and Atkinson, Irving and Glover, Reynolds, and J Donaldson. The total cost of the building when completed, which will be in a few weeks, will be about £4,000."

Photograph - Colour - Items in the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall, 2017

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Colour photographs of boxes and a barrell in the Items in the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall.

Photograph - Colour - Plaques on the Community Centre at the Old Colonist's Association Retirement Village, Charles Anderson Grove, 2019

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Plaques relating to the Community Centre at the Old Colonists' Association Retriement Village at Charles Anderson Grove, and previous donors.

Photograph - Colour - Billiard Table at the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall, 2017

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Colour photograph of one of the three full size billiard tables at the Old Colonists' Hall.

Photograph - Colour - Old COlonists' Association Cottages at Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat, 2015

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Retirement Home cottages at Charles Anderson Grove.

Programme - Old Colonists' Club Ballarat Smoke Social, 1922

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Programme for the 1922 Old Colonists Club Smoke Social.

Image - Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Residence - Williams Cottage

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Colour photograph of Williams Cottage at The Old Colonists' Assiation of Ballarat Inc retirement village at Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat.

Historical information

This home was the first cottage built by the Old Colonists' Association, and was the gift of Mr and Mrs F.J. Williams. It was completed in 1925. From the minute books: "Mr and Mrs F.J. Williams, both natives of Ballarat, offered to build a cottage on the Association's ground at Perry Park [now Charles Anderson Grove] something after a style of the Hassell Homes. That Offer was immediately followed by another from Mr S.W.J. Clark, a member of the Council. Both offers were promptly and gratefully accepted." One of the first objectives of the Association was "to provide the shelter of a hose for those Pioneers of the Goldfields whom the reverses of fortune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years." The first home at Charles Anderson Grove was built in 1925. Before that time the Association provided relief for needy pioneers. relief included monthly monetary payments, loads of firewood, medical assistance and distribution of Christmas bosed of groceries to deserving pensioners, and in some cases payment of burial costs. ::a) The dominant purpose of the Association is to give public benevolent relief as a charity, but providing independent living accommodation in our Retirement Village for person in need who are over 65. ::b) To raise funds by membership subscription, commercial and residential rents, donations, gifts and voluntary work, for the purpose of providing direct relief of poverty, distress, misfortune or helplessness. ::c) To maintain the important heritage and ongoing viability of the Old Colonists' Association. (Revised Rules of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., 2016)

Image - John Paul Murray

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Portrait of John Murray

Gold License

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Gold License

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Image - The History of Charles Anderson and Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Black and white photographic portrait of Charles Anderson.

Historical information

Information relating to Charles Anderson and Charles Anderson Grove, Lake Gardens, Ballarat. The Old Colonists' Association Ballarat Inc. is a not for profit charitable organisation providing accommodation for elderly people. It manages a 27 Home retirement village at Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat. Accommodation is offered at significantly below market rates. It has been providing low cost accommodation to the elderly since the 1920s. The Association Council overseas the running of this facility on a voluntary basis. HISTORY OF THE BALLARAT OLD COLONISTS' ASSOCIATION HOMES AT CHARLES ANDERSON GROVE, LAKE GARDENS One of the original objectives of the Association was “to provide the shelter of a house for those Pioneers of the Goldfields whom the reverses of fortune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years.” While the first home at Charles Anderson Grove was built in 1925 the Association had previously provided relief for needy pioneers from the time it was formed in 1883. Relief included monthly monetary payments, loads of firewood, medical assistance and distribution of Christmas boxes of groceries to deserving pensioners and in some cases payment of burial costs. Records indicate that in September 1922 three of the pensioners being assisted by the Association were accepted as residents in the newly erected Hassell Homes in Gillies Street (now demolished-opposite the High School). The first site for an Asylum for Indigent Members of the Old Colonists' Association was temporarily reserved from sale in October 1891. The site was approximately 28 acres in area in Mt Clear nearly opposite Midvale Shopping Centre in Main Road. The site was heavily timbered and when cleared over 260 tons of wood was sold to the Woah Hawp Gold Mining Company. A set of gates were erected but no homes built, although a plan for this reserve was drawn which showed twenty buildings ranging from one to four unit per building. The reserve was revoked in November 1909. The second site temporarily reserved in November 1909 as an Asylum was in Alfredton and consisted of some 7 acres and was adjacent to land reserved for an Abattoirs for the Ballarat Council. The reserve was revoked in February 1912 as it was deemed more appropriate to be added to the Abattoir site. Council suggested four (4) other sites in exchange for this land and they were inspected by the President, Vice President and Secretary on 22 December 1912. The first site inspected was land on the west side of Creswick Road opposite the brick kilns (now occupied by the showgrounds and oval). The land was described as being good quality, well fenced, no trees, good drainage and ample acreage but some distance from trams. The second site was Perry Park which was described as being good land, well fenced, having frontage to Gillies Street, good drainage and about 26 acres (but subsequently reduced to 10 acres). It was closely planted with Pinus Insignias and Wattle and had easy access from the Botanic Gardens tram. The third site was the North West portion of Victoria Park (corner of Sturt and Gillies Street) and was described as good land, well fenced and drained and well located. The fourth site was the South West corner of Victoria Park and known as Pound Paddock (corner of Winter Street and Gillies Street). It was considered to be low lying and too close to the Abattoir, and was also a considerable distance from trams. While the third site was recommended as the most suitable for the erection of homes it was considered unwise from the point of view as citizens to reduce the acreage of the park and therefore it was recommended that the Perry Park site be asked for as the most acceptable to the Association for the building of homes. The site was eventually temporarily reserved for an Asylum for Indigent Members of the Association in April 1914 with the gates from Mt Clear having been removed to the site a year earlier and eventually erected in 1917 for £12.10.0. In the same year the first 290 pine trees were advertised for removal in July and sold for £16. A sign indicating that the site was reserved for the erection of cottages was erected in September 1917. Stripping of the wattle bark (for tanning) and the cutting of the wood occurred in November 1918 with the land then being leased until it was required for the construction of the first homes in 1924. While the site was the third to be reserved it was the only one which was used for its intended purpose. It was named as Charles Anderson Grove in honour of Charles Anderson who joined the Association in 1918 and was President of the Association from 1942 to 1944. CHARLES HENRY GRATTAN ANDERSON C.H.G. Anderson (Electoral Returning Officer) was elected to membership of the Old Colonists' Association, Ballarat, in October 1918. He was elected to the Association Committee in 1926, and appointed Treasurer of the Association on the resignation of F. Ellis until the end of the financial year in 1933. In 1936 Charles Anderson indicated he would not be available for the President's Chair and that he would retire from the Committee owing to pressure of work. C.H.G. Anderson was welcomed as a new member of the Association in 1938, and served as President of the Old Colonists' Association from 1942-1944. Midway through 1949 Charles Anderson was appointed Members Secretary and Manager of the Ballarat Old Colonists' Club at £5.0.0 per week and 10/- for entertainment, to commence work prior to 01 August 1949. He was to do 30 hours per week and be present on Friday and generally on Saturday nights. In 1957 a minute of sympathy was extended to Club Manager Charles Anderson on the loss of his son. In 1958 a bonus of £20.0.0 was paid to Charles Anderson in recognition of his service in assisting the Secretary/Manager taking over under difficult conditions. In March 1964 the Shire of Ballarat would not permit a private road to be named Anderson Grove as Anderson Street already existed in Ballarat but Charles Anderson Grove was deemed acceptable. A recommendation of the Committee was put to the AGM in 1967 that Charles Anderson be made a Life Member. In 1969 an Association meeting observed a minutes silence in memory of Chas Anderson. Charles Anderson was also a Committee member of Ballarat Mechanics' Institute from February 1940 to February 1970. He was President in 1948.

Document - Old Colonists' Club Ballarat Executive Committee 1968-69

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Typed listing of Old Colonists' Club Ballarat Executive Committee 1968-6 on letterhead of the Old Colonists' Club Ballarat.