Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc. Ballarat Central, Victoria

The origins of the Ballarat Old Colonists’ Association can be traced back to 1867 when James Oddie instigated a reunion of early gold miners. The group was known initially as the Golden Point Old Pioneers Association and later simply as the Ballarat Pioneers Association. The miners initially met on an ad hoc basis for social purposes and in 1883 meetings were formalised becoming the formal beginning. The name was changed over and finally to its current ‘The Old Colonists’ Association of Ballarat’.

The home of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat was constructed in 1887-9 on the site of the barracks and stables of the gold escort in Lydiard Street North. The Association represented the early pioneers in the vicinity, who came in search of gold from the 1850s. It was a benevolent body that aimed to specifically assist indigent miners.

The original objectives of the Association were documented in August 1883 as follows:
"To form a band of brotherhood amongst those whose past experience in commercial and mining pursuits so intimately associate them with the early history of the goldfields; men to whose indomitable energy and perseverance Ballarat and other mining centres of the Colony are so largely indebted for their development and commercial property. Some of whose names are also closely identified with the memorable and sanguinary struggle for Freedom and Constitutional Liberty i 1854 (Eureka). To gather within one fold, those who survived stirring times; to meet occasionally in friendly and social intercourse; to relieve our brethren who are overtaken by sickness or affliction; t provide the shelter of a house for those Pioneers of the Goldfields whom the reverses of fortune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years; to assist the widow and succor the orphan; to materially cheer and support each other in our temporary troubles and vicissitudes, as we journey onward to the grave; and lastly, to render a tribute of respect to the memory of a departed brother, by following his remains to their final resting place."

The Old Colonists’ Association (OCA) know captures the spirit of the original objectives and interprets it to suit contemporary needs. It remains as a philanthropic charitable organisation providing accommodation for elderly people. In the 1920s Charles Anderson Grove was established to provide low cost accommodation to the elderly and currently twenty seven homes are available (constructed in stages between 1923 and 1983) with each Independent Living Unit identified by a name plate referencing the benefactor. Accommodation is offered at significantly below market rates. The Association has been providing low cost accommodation to the elderly since the 1920s. A number of further Independent Living Units to be built at Charles Anderson Grove will be constructed in the near future. The OCA Council oversees the running of this facility on a voluntary basis. The OCA is a Public Benevolent Institution with the Australian Tax Office Deductible Gift Recipient Status.

Links

Contact Information

location
14-16 Lydiard (North) Street Ballarat Central Victoria 3350

Contact

Opening Hours

The Old Colonist's Club is open to members. Visits can be arranged by appointment, or during special openings such as Ballarat Heritage Weekend (May)

Entry Fee

N/A

Location

16-14 Lydiard (North) Street Ballarat Central Victoria

Bernadette 30 April 2019 2:03 PM

I have been referred to you to ask about the availability of accommodation.

Clare Gervasoni 30 April 2019 3:34 PM

Hi Bernadette, There are some requirements for entrance to our retirement village. Please direct your enquiry to the Old Colonists' Association, 20 Lydiard Street South Ballarat, or drop into the Old Colonists' Hall and ask the manager for further details.

Victorian Collections is no longer accepting public comments

Contact the collector

239 items

239 items

Book - Facsimile of Address From the Old Colonists of Victoria to H.R.H. The Duke of Edinburgh K.G

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Blue hard covered 35 page book with an address, a reponse from Prince Alfred, and a number of signatures.

Inscriptions & Markings

To his Rotal highness Prince Alfred Ernest Albert Duke of Edinburgh K.G. &c &c &c May it please Your Royal Highness. We the undersigned, being Colonists of Victoria wirh expressions of a Century and upwards venture to approach you Royal Highness with expressions of unaltered loyalty to Her Majesty's throne and person, and our very sincere and heart congratulations to your Royal Highnedd on your auspicious visit to his distant dependency of the British Empire. We can confiently assure your Royal Highness that however attractive Republicans Institutions may be to many young communitites generally Victoria is in the main free from the taint of any such prediliction. The loyalty and attachment to Monarchial Government of those numbered amonst her older Colonists have been strenghtened bu their enlarged and by the deep connection ever increasing with their ripening years that their material interests will be best protected by the perpetuation of the intimate connexion with the Great Empire over which Her Majesty rules - an Empire the Language, Laws, Customs and Institutions of which it is their privelige to inherit. We may be allowed to esteem the visit of your Royal Highness to these shores as of teh utmost importance, regarded from the Imperial as well as from a Colonial point of view. Your Royal Highness has now had an opportunity of satisfying yourself, and may bear testimony on your return to Europe that the Colonists of Victoria, although they have left their Mother COuntry, have not lost the spirit of enterprise, the energy, the self-reliance, the love of law and order which distinguish the British Race - and that in common with their fellow countrymen at home they possess qualities, the possessoin of which by her peple has made England great and glorious amongst the nations - while your presence here proves to the Colony at large, be especially to our Colonial born youth that Her Majesty 's solicitude for our welfare is unabted. Wish a sincere hope that the visit of your Royal Highness to the other COlonies of the Australian Group may be gratifying to you, and your ultimate return to the Royal Circle safe and attended with every happiness. We beg leave to remain, With the greatest respect, Your Royal Highness' Most humble and most obedient servants, Signature Date of arrival in the Colony. Edward Henty Novr 19th 1834 Francis Henty Decr 9th 1834 John Pascoe Fawkner Oct 9th 1835 Many ignatures follow including John Wilson Novr 1841 Joseph Bickett 27 September 1842 Theophilis Dredge January 1839 Archibald Fisken August 1839 Samuel Legge April 1841 David Coghill March 1838 Joseph L'Estrange 1849 December Thomas W. Wills Dec 1839 James Cuthbert November 1840 John Lamb May 1838 John Hogan November 1839 William Higgenbotham Born Oct 19th 1840 Richard Winter January 1840 Alexander Aitken Born Melbourne June 30 1842 William Cross Yuille February 1837 George Black Decr 1840 Peter Scott Sept 1840 Robert Hoddle March 1837 Henry Darlot September 1839 W. Bacchus 1837 C.B. Hutton Feby 17th 1842 H. Gerrard Feby 1839 Thomas P. Scott 10 August 1838 William Rutledge 19th Decr 1829 in Sydney, at Melbourne in July 1838 Rodk Urquhart March 1842 Thomas Black Septr 1842 J.B. Were November 1839 Thomas Anderson 1839 John Bull June 1842

Business License

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Card

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Clock - Wall Clock

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Timber cased wall clock

Historical information

This clock has been changed to battery operation.

Clock - Clock by J.T. Sleep of Ballarat

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Wall clock featuring the name J.T. Sleep on the face.

Clock - Clock by J.T. Sleep of Ballarat

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph of a wall clock featuring the name J.T. Sleep on the face.

Club rules

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

colour photograph - Old Colonists' Hall, Ballarat

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Colour photograph of a night view of the Old Colonists' Hall in Lydiard Street North, on White Night 2019

Historical information

White night was held on 03 October 2019 and an event was held at the hall for members.

Costume - Aboriginal Chest Plate

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Document - Henry Hannington

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Document on the history of early member of the Old Colonists' Association, Henry Hanington

Document - Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Act, 1903

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Five page piece of legislation known as the Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Act, 1903 (Act No. 1890/1903)

Historical information

The Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Act 1903 was assented to on 24 December 1903 and came into operation on 24 December 1903.

Document - Proposition for Membership to the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Printed form for potential Members of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat to fill out. The annual life membership fee was two pounds to shillings, and the annual member fee was 10 shillings per annum. Potential members were asked for the Name, Age, occupation, residence, birthplace, place and the of arrival in Australia, name of ship, date of propositions, proposer and seconder.

Historical information

To qualify for membership of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat the potential member had to be 21 years in the Australian Colonies. This suggests the form was printed before the federation of Australian States in 1901.

Document - Old Colonists' Club Ballarat Executive Committee 1968-69

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Typed listing of Old Colonists' Club Ballarat Executive Committee 1968-6 on letterhead of the Old Colonists' Club Ballarat.

Document - Old Colonists' Club Ballarat Executive Committee 1966-67

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Typed list of Old Colonists' Club Ballarat Executive Committee for 1966-67 on letterhead of the Old Colonists' Club Ballarat.

Document - Old Colonists' Club Ballarat Executive Committee 1968-69

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Typed listing of the Old Colonists' Club Ballarat Executive Committee 1968-69

Gold License

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Gold License

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Gold License

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Gold License

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Gold License

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Gold License

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Gold License

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Image - The History of Charles Anderson and Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Black and white photographic portrait of Charles Anderson.

Historical information

Information relating to Charles Anderson and Charles Anderson Grove, Lake Gardens, Ballarat. The Old Colonists' Association Ballarat Inc. is a not for profit charitable organisation providing accommodation for elderly people. It manages a 27 Home retirement village at Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat. Accommodation is offered at significantly below market rates. It has been providing low cost accommodation to the elderly since the 1920s. The Association Council overseas the running of this facility on a voluntary basis. HISTORY OF THE BALLARAT OLD COLONISTS' ASSOCIATION HOMES AT CHARLES ANDERSON GROVE, LAKE GARDENS One of the original objectives of the Association was “to provide the shelter of a house for those Pioneers of the Goldfields whom the reverses of fortune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years.” While the first home at Charles Anderson Grove was built in 1925 the Association had previously provided relief for needy pioneers from the time it was formed in 1883. Relief included monthly monetary payments, loads of firewood, medical assistance and distribution of Christmas boxes of groceries to deserving pensioners and in some cases payment of burial costs. Records indicate that in September 1922 three of the pensioners being assisted by the Association were accepted as residents in the newly erected Hassell Homes in Gillies Street (now demolished-opposite the High School). The first site for an Asylum for Indigent Members of the Old Colonists' Association was temporarily reserved from sale in October 1891. The site was approximately 28 acres in area in Mt Clear nearly opposite Midvale Shopping Centre in Main Road. The site was heavily timbered and when cleared over 260 tons of wood was sold to the Woah Hawp Gold Mining Company. A set of gates were erected but no homes built, although a plan for this reserve was drawn which showed twenty buildings ranging from one to four unit per building. The reserve was revoked in November 1909. The second site temporarily reserved in November 1909 as an Asylum was in Alfredton and consisted of some 7 acres and was adjacent to land reserved for an Abattoirs for the Ballarat Council. The reserve was revoked in February 1912 as it was deemed more appropriate to be added to the Abattoir site. Council suggested four (4) other sites in exchange for this land and they were inspected by the President, Vice President and Secretary on 22 December 1912. The first site inspected was land on the west side of Creswick Road opposite the brick kilns (now occupied by the showgrounds and oval). The land was described as being good quality, well fenced, no trees, good drainage and ample acreage but some distance from trams. The second site was Perry Park which was described as being good land, well fenced, having frontage to Gillies Street, good drainage and about 26 acres (but subsequently reduced to 10 acres). It was closely planted with Pinus Insignias and Wattle and had easy access from the Botanic Gardens tram. The third site was the North West portion of Victoria Park (corner of Sturt and Gillies Street) and was described as good land, well fenced and drained and well located. The fourth site was the South West corner of Victoria Park and known as Pound Paddock (corner of Winter Street and Gillies Street). It was considered to be low lying and too close to the Abattoir, and was also a considerable distance from trams. While the third site was recommended as the most suitable for the erection of homes it was considered unwise from the point of view as citizens to reduce the acreage of the park and therefore it was recommended that the Perry Park site be asked for as the most acceptable to the Association for the building of homes. The site was eventually temporarily reserved for an Asylum for Indigent Members of the Association in April 1914 with the gates from Mt Clear having been removed to the site a year earlier and eventually erected in 1917 for £12.10.0. In the same year the first 290 pine trees were advertised for removal in July and sold for £16. A sign indicating that the site was reserved for the erection of cottages was erected in September 1917. Stripping of the wattle bark (for tanning) and the cutting of the wood occurred in November 1918 with the land then being leased until it was required for the construction of the first homes in 1924. While the site was the third to be reserved it was the only one which was used for its intended purpose. It was named as Charles Anderson Grove in honour of Charles Anderson who joined the Association in 1918 and was President of the Association from 1942 to 1944. CHARLES HENRY GRATTAN ANDERSON C.H.G. Anderson (Electoral Returning Officer) was elected to membership of the Old Colonists' Association, Ballarat, in October 1918. He was elected to the Association Committee in 1926, and appointed Treasurer of the Association on the resignation of F. Ellis until the end of the financial year in 1933. In 1936 Charles Anderson indicated he would not be available for the President's Chair and that he would retire from the Committee owing to pressure of work. C.H.G. Anderson was welcomed as a new member of the Association in 1938, and served as President of the Old Colonists' Association from 1942-1944. Midway through 1949 Charles Anderson was appointed Members Secretary and Manager of the Ballarat Old Colonists' Club at £5.0.0 per week and 10/- for entertainment, to commence work prior to 01 August 1949. He was to do 30 hours per week and be present on Friday and generally on Saturday nights. In 1957 a minute of sympathy was extended to Club Manager Charles Anderson on the loss of his son. In 1958 a bonus of £20.0.0 was paid to Charles Anderson in recognition of his service in assisting the Secretary/Manager taking over under difficult conditions. In March 1964 the Shire of Ballarat would not permit a private road to be named Anderson Grove as Anderson Street already existed in Ballarat but Charles Anderson Grove was deemed acceptable. A recommendation of the Committee was put to the AGM in 1967 that Charles Anderson be made a Life Member. In 1969 an Association meeting observed a minutes silence in memory of Chas Anderson. Charles Anderson was also a Committee member of Ballarat Mechanics' Institute from February 1940 to February 1970. He was President in 1948.

Image - Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Crest

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Image - Zichy Woinarski

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photographic portrait of Dr Woinarski, member of the Old Colonists Association of Ballarat. In 1882 he married Miss Dundas-Robertson of Mortlake.

Image - Edward Grose

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photographic portrait of Edward Grose, member of the Old Colonists Association of Ballarat. He was manager of the Ballarat Star. In March 1873 he married Robina Orr, daughter of Archibald Fulton Orr, at Mount Bolton.

Image - Josiah Magor

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photographic portrait of Josiah Magor, member of the Old Colonists Association of Ballarat. He was associated with the Two Ton mine at Black Hill. He was involved with local charitable work, and was a life governor of the Orphan and Benevolent Asylum.

Image - James Bickett

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photographic portrait of James Bickett, member of the Old Colonists Association of Ballarat.

Image - Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Residence - Barker Home

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Colour photograph of Barker Cottage at The Old Colonists' Assiation of Ballarat Inc retirement village at Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat.

Historical information

This home was completed in 1938. It was the gift of Mr and Mrs Barker. One of the first objectives of the Association was "to provide the shelter of a hose for those Pioneers of the Goldfields whom the reverses of fortune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years." The first home at Charles Anderson Grove was built in 1925. Before that time the Association provided relief for needy pioneers. relief included monthly monetary payments, loads of firewood, medical assistance and distribution of Christmas bosed of groceries to deserving pensioners, and in some cases payment of burial costs. ::a) The dominant purpose of the Association is to give public benevolent relief as a charity, but providing independent living accommodation in our Retirement Village for person in need who are over 65. ::b) To raise funds by membership subscription, commercial and residential rents, donations, gifts and voluntary work, for the purpose of providing direct relief of poverty, distress, misfortune or helplessness. ::c) To maintain the important heritage and ongoing viability of the Old Colonists' Association. (Revised Rules of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., 2016)

Image - Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Residence - Wilson Homes

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Colour photograph pf a cream brick building known as the Wilson Homes. They are a part of the Old Colonists' Association, Ballarat Retirement Village.

Historical information

The Wilson homes were completed in 1966. One of the first objectives of the Association was "to provide the shelter of a hose for those Pioneers of the Goldfields whom the reverses of fortune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years." The first home at Charles Anderson Grove was built in 1925. Before that time the Association provided relief for needy pioneers. relief included monthly monetary payments, loads of firewood, medical assistance and distribution of Christmas bosed of groceries to deserving pensioners, and in some cases payment of burial costs. ::a) The dominant purpose of the Association is to give public benevolent relief as a charity, but providing independent living accommodation in our Retirement Village for person in need who are over 65. ::b) To raise funds by membership subscription, commercial and residential rents, donations, gifts and voluntary work, for the purpose of providing direct relief of poverty, distress, misfortune or helplessness. ::c) To maintain the important heritage and ongoing viability of the Old Colonists' Association. (Revised Rules of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., 2016)