Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc. Ballarat Central, Victoria

The origins of the Ballarat Old Colonists’ Association can be traced back to 1867 when James Oddie instigated a reunion of early gold miners. The group was known initially as the Golden Point Old Pioneers Association and later simply as the Ballarat Pioneers Association. The miners initially met on an ad hoc basis for social purposes and in 1883 meetings were formalised becoming the formal beginning. The name was changed over and finally to its current ‘The Old Colonists’ Association of Ballarat’.

The home of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat was constructed in 1887-9 on the site of the barracks and stables of the gold escort in Lydiard Street North. The Association represented the early pioneers in the vicinity, who came in search of gold from the 1850s. It was a benevolent body that aimed to specifically assist indigent miners.

The original objectives of the Association were documented in August 1883 as follows:
"To form a band of brotherhood amongst those whose past experience in commercial and mining pursuits so intimately associate them with the early history of the goldfields; men to whose indomitable energy and perseverance Ballarat and other mining centres of the Colony are so largely indebted for their development and commercial property. Some of whose names are also closely identified with the memorable and sanguinary struggle for Freedom and Constitutional Liberty i 1854 (Eureka). To gather within one fold, those who survived stirring times; to meet occasionally in friendly and social intercourse; to relieve our brethren who are overtaken by sickness or affliction; t provide the shelter of a house for those Pioneers of the Goldfields whom the reverses of fortune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years; to assist the widow and succor the orphan; to materially cheer and support each other in our temporary troubles and vicissitudes, as we journey onward to the grave; and lastly, to render a tribute of respect to the memory of a departed brother, by following his remains to their final resting place."

The Old Colonists’ Association (OCA) know captures the spirit of the original objectives and interprets it to suit contemporary needs. It remains as a philanthropic charitable organisation providing accommodation for elderly people. In the 1920s Charles Anderson Grove was established to provide low cost accommodation to the elderly and currently twenty seven homes are available (constructed in stages between 1923 and 1983) with each Independent Living Unit identified by a name plate referencing the benefactor. Accommodation is offered at significantly below market rates. The Association has been providing low cost accommodation to the elderly since the 1920s. A number of further Independent Living Units to be built at Charles Anderson Grove will be constructed in the near future. The OCA Council oversees the running of this facility on a voluntary basis. The OCA is a Public Benevolent Institution with the Australian Tax Office Deductible Gift Recipient Status.

Links

Contact Information

location
16-14 Lydiard (North) Street Ballarat Central Victoria 3350

Contact

Opening Hours

The Old Colonist's Club is open to members. Visits can be arranged by appointment, or during special openings such as Ballarat Heritage Weekend (May)

Entry Fee

N/A

Location

16-14 Lydiard (North) Street Ballarat Central Victoria

Bernadette 30 April 2019 2:03 PM

I have been referred to you to ask about the availability of accommodation.

Clare Gervasoni 30 April 2019 3:34 PM

Hi Bernadette, There are some requirements for entrance to our retirement village. Please direct your enquiry to the Old Colonists' Association, 20 Lydiard Street South Ballarat, or drop into the Old Colonists' Hall and ask the manager for further details.

Leave a comment

230 items

230 items

Image - Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Homes, 1925

Key words

old colonists' association ballarat
old colonists' club
charles anderson grove
clark cottage
williams cottage
perry park
s.w.j. clark
f.j. williams

Two black and white images of Old Colonists' Association homes from a Special Christmas edition of the Courier in 1925. The top image shows 'Clark Cottage', erected by S.W.J. Clark, and the lower image shows the 'Williams Cottage' erected by Mr and Mrs F.J. Williams. The cottages are locate in Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat.

Historical information

The homes were presented by the donors for the use of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat. The homes fulfil the original 1888 aim of 'aid and assist indigent or suffering old colonists' and 'to provide the shelter of a home for old and indigent pioneers of the gold fields, their widows, or anyone connected with the association'. From the minute books: "Mr and Mrs F.J. Williams, both natives of Ballarat, offered to build a cottage on the Association's ground at PErry Park [now Charles Anderson Grove] something after a style of the Hassell Homes. That Offer was immediately followed by another from Mr S.W.J. Clark, a member of the Council. Both offers were promptly and gratefully accepted." The Old Colonists' Association Ballarat Inc. is a not for profit charitable organisation providing accommodation for elderly people. It manages a 27 Home retirement village at Charles Anderson Grove Ballarat. Accommodation is offered at significantly below market rates. It has been providing low cost accommodation to the elderly since the 1920s. The Association Council overseas the running of this facility on a voluntary basis. One of the first objectives of the Association was "to provide the shelter of a hose for those Pioneers of the Goldfields whom the reverses of fortune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years." The first home at Charles Anderson Grove was built in 1925. Before that time the Association provided relief for needy pioneers. relief included monthly monetary payments, loads of firewood, medical assistance and distribution of Christmas bosed of groceries to deserving pensioners, and in some cases payment of burial costs. == Purposes == ::a) The dominant purpose of the Association is to give public benevolent relief as a charity, but providing independent living accommodation in our Retirement Village for person in need who are over 65. ::b) To raise funds by membership subscription, commercial and residential rents, donations, gifts and voluntary work, for the purpose of providing direct relief of poverty, distress, misfortune or helplessness. ::c) To maintain the important heritage and ongoing viability of the Old Colonists' Association.<ref>Revised Rules of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., 2016

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - The entrance foyer of the Old Colonists' Club, 2015

Key words

old colonists' association ballarat
old colonists' club

Colour photograph of a room with marble plaques on the wall. They relate to the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat,

Historical information

From the Argus Newspaper of 10 May 1888: "OLD COLONISTS' ASSOCIATION OF BALLARAT. (FROM OUR CORRESPONDENT.) BALLARAT, WEDNESDAY. This association, which was founded in August, 1883, and at first known as the Old Identities' Association, now has a roll of 450 members. The objects of the association are "to aid and assist indigent or suffering old colonists; to raise a fund, by the voluntary subscriptions of the members and the aid of outside donations, for the purpose of relieving members in sickness and old age ; for assisting those in extreme distress, to provide the shelter o a home for old and indigent pioneers of the gold fields, their widows, or anyone connected with the association, and in the event of the death of any member to have his remains decently buried, the association defraying the expenses of the funeral (providing that no funds or property are left by the deceased), and to attend the funeral if so desired by the relatives " The qualifications for member- ship are good character and repute, and residence in the colonies for a quarter of a century. For some time the association had no property except the regular subscriptions, but about a year ago they obtained from the Minister of Lands the grant of a very valuable block of land in Lydiard-street, the Crown grant of which they received last week. This block has a frontage of 66ft to Lydiard street, worth at least £100 a foot. The ground was given to the association as a site for them to build a hall upon, and with so valuable an asset they had no difficulty in borrowing at 7 per cent, enough money to construct a hall. For revenue purposes the ground floor of the building has been made into four shops, and the rental from these, judging from the rentals of shops in the vicinity, will not only pay all the interest on the borrowed money, but over £200 a year towards clearing off the principal. The officers of the association are Messrs J P Murray, president; J W Graham and T. Stoddart, vice presidents; D Fern, treasurer , and J Fraser, secretary. The Old Colonists' Hall is an elegant looking building in Lydiard-street, lying between the newly-opened mining exchange and the Commercial Club house, and a few doors north of the Post office. The style of the facade is classic. The lower portion of the front is constructed of Waurn Ponds stone, forming piers, and the upper portion of brick and cement, the background being tuckpointed. The centre bay is carried by two three quarter columns with Ionic cups, which support a pediment on which is set a cast of the Ballarat coat of arms. The four other bays are supported by pilasters with Corinthian caps mid partly fluted. The entrance is through a spacious circular headed doorway, the keystone of the arch of which bears a sculptured head, in marble, representing that of the president of the Old Colonists' Association here, Mr. John P Murray. An ample vestibule leads to a wide stone staircase which ends at a spacious landing. The landing has a dome over the centre, with cornice and enrichments, and is lighted from above. The walls round the landing are panelled with marble slabs, which are to be appropriately inscribed in the future. On the first door are the rooms appropriated to the association. The principal of these is a hall 44ft x 33ft and 17ft high. This room is well ventilated and lighted from the back of the building with large windows, and the walls are finished with Keene's cement. The other rooms are committee room, 14ft x 16ft; scretary's, 14ft x 17ft 6in; kitchen, bedrooms, bathroom, &c. The front portion of the first floor is arranged so that it may be let for offices, or utilised for club purposes. Suitable provision has been made throughout tor lighting, ventilation, and means of egress. The architect for the edifice is Mr A. G Legge, of this city, and the contractors are Messrs. Whitelaw and Atkinson, Irving and Glover, Reynolds, and J Donaldson. The total cost of the building when completed, which will be in a few weeks, will be about £4,000."

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Old Colonists Club Ballarat Past Presidents Board

Key words

old colonists' club ballarat
j.p. murray
h.r. nicholls
t.t. holloway
w. trahar
g. abraham
j.e. ashley
w.h. tweedie
c.e. grainger
a.e. cutter
t.g. skewes
j. king
w.n.v. skewes
w.i.c. bailey
w.d. reid
w.a. stark
w.j. treadwell
r.h. ramsay
f. besmeres
f. o'bern
t.f. moran
h.e. batten
c.h. anderson
a.w. bennett
s. walker
c.g. palmer
h.s. west
j.t. mahy
h. mckinley
h. yates
f.c. wray
l.a. blackman
a. payne
r.w. langford
h.e. smith
j.c. feltham
e.g. ludbrook
h.i. ebley
h. godbehear
g. stewart
w.h. heniz
w.e. wyres
f.c.wray
w.h. heinz
g.h.w. baker
r.a. nicholson
c.h. davis
h.r. sumner
j.h. conventry
m.b. schultz
f.n. pitts
s. bracks
b.e. bartrop
a.m. mackinnon
k. irvin
a.c. burrow
h.b. berry
m.r. smith
d.c. strickland
j.a. tolladay
gerald m. jenzen
f.g. liston
w.g. cornell
g.s. young
s.j. carter
t.p. etchells
mary batten
i.l. capuano
d.j. anderson
p.b. carigg
i.f. crowley
margaret knez

Photograph of a timber board with gold writing listing the past presidents of the Old Colonists' Club Ballarat from 1888 to 2015.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Old Colonists' Association Ballarat Foundation Stone

Key words

old colonists' association ballarat
ballarat old colonists; club
j.p. murray
architecture
foundation stone

Colour photograph of a bluestone foundation stone with gold writing. It is the foundation Stone of the Old Colonists' Association Ballarat building in Lydiard Street North, Ballarat.

Inscriptions & Markings

This stone was laid on Jubilee Day A.D. 21st June, 1887, by J.P. Murray esq J.P. President of the Old Colonsts Association. Ballarat

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Old Colonists' Association Ballarat Foundation Presidents Board

Key words

old colonists' association ballarat
ballarat old colonists club
marble
presidents

Colour photograph of a marble honour board relating to the founders of the Old Colonists' Association Ballarat.

Inscriptions & Markings

Old Colonists; Association Established 1883. Founders W.H. Butler, John Brooksbank Isaac A. Twaits, Henry Hannington Arthur Croft, J.T. Farr, W.F. Osbourne. Old Colonists' Hall Foundation Stone Laid June 21st 1887 Inauguration August 31st 1888 Officer and Council 1887-88 President John P. Murray Vice Presidents J.W. Graham Thomas Stoddart Treasurer Daniel Fern Trustee J.W. Graham John McCafferty Wiliam Irwin Council W.B. Perry. James Ward W.H. Butler. Frederick Ramsden. James Vallins. Charles Dyte. Secretary John Fraser Past Presidents A.K. McBain 1954-1956 C.A. Hoskin 1956-1957 C.H. Clamp 1957-1959 J. Curwen-Walker 1959-1961 A.C. Fraser 1961 - 1963 S.A. Wilson LBS, BBSc, DDS 1963-1965 W. Titheridge 1965 - 1966 A.J. Symons 1966 -1968 W.J. Selkirk 1968-1970 L. McBain 1970-1972 R.J. Buchanan 1972-1974 J.E. Crocker 1974-1976 L.J. Drury 1976-1978 F.A. Peebles 1978-1980 Dr D.L. Morton 1980-1982 I.G. Bishop 1982-1984 D.L. Pratt 1984-1986 B.R. Drennan 1986-1988 M.J. Charles 1988-1990 F.A. Peebles 1990-1992

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - John Brooksbank's Old Identities' medal

Key words

old identities association
old colonists' association ballarat
c.a. welch
silversmith
numismatics
j. brooksbank
medal

Colour photograph of a sterling silver medal relating to The Old Identities' Association 1851-1854. The medallion, belonging to John Brooksbank, has a drilled hole at the top suggesting it was worn by the owner at some stage in its life.

Historical information

The Old Identities' Association was a forerunner of the Old Colonists' Association Ballarat. John Brooksbank was a very early arrival to Ballarat in September 1851, which was not long after the discovery of gold at Ballarat. J. Brooksbank lost a dog in 1857 "LOST from the Half Way House, Smythe's Creek Road, a black bloodhound and kangaroo dog. Anyone detaining him after this date will be prosecuted. J. BROOKSBANK" (Ballarat Star, 30 December 1857) Another very early identity in Ballarat, James Oddie, advertised the sale of J. Brooksbank's hotel in 1860: "JAMES ODDIE & CO. have received instructions from the Mortgagees, to sell I by auction at their rooms, Dana street, on Thursday, 20th September, at twelve o'clock, All that desirable properly known as the , Halfway House Hotel, Together with all that piece or parcel of ' land situate in the parish of Cardigan and county of Grenville, containing 34 acres 1 rood 26 ½ perches, part of allotment 1, section 6, of said parish, situated on the Ballarat and Smythesdale road, and recently occupied by Mr J. Brooksbank. The property consists of a spacious stone building one story high, strong and substantially built, the internal fittings and arrangements are neat and complete. The house possesses all requisite accommodation for a respectable country hotel. In addition are stockyards, stables &c, all well and securely fenced. Terms at Sale. (Ballarat Star, 20 September 1860) Four years later Brookbank was selling his hotel in Lyons Street Ballarat: "RARE OPPORTUNITY.-FOR SALE the BLACK BULL HOTEL, Lyons street. The proprietor of the above hotel being about entering into another line of business, begs to call the attention of parties looking for a safe and profitable investment, the above having undergone thorough repairs, and is now in good working order and doing a fair share of business. The conditions will, be half cash, balance six, nine, and twelve months. Apply, J. Brooksbank, proprietor, on the premises. (Ballarat Star, 22 October 1864)

Inscriptions & Markings

The medal has been engraved: Arrived "Sep 51 J. Brooksbank

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Bar at the Old Colonists' Club, Ballarat, 2015

Key words

ballarat old colonists' club
bar

Bar at the Ballarat Old Colonists' Club.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Black and White - Old Colonist's Association, Ballarat Founding Committee

Key words

ballarat old colonists' club
old colonists' association
old colonists' club, ballarat
richards and co.
j.t. farr
w.h. butler
j.w. graham
f.w. osbourne
a. croft
j. brocksbank,

Six photographic portraits presented in a framed mount. The portraits are J.T. Farr; W.H. Butler; J.W. Graham; F.W. Osbourne; A. Croft; J. Brooksbank,

Inscriptions & Markings

'Presented by foundation members and first President to the Old Colonists' Association, Ballarat as a souvenir of the origin of our noble institution. Founded August 1883.'

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Black and White - John Brooksbank

Key words

john brooksbank
ballarat old colonists' association
ballarat old colonists' club
old colonists' association

Photographic portrait of John Brooksbank from a photographic montage held by the Ballarat Old Colonists' Association.

Historical information

The Old Identities' Association was a forerunner of the Old Colonists' Association Ballarat. John Brooksbank was a very early arrival to Ballarat in September 1851, which was not long after the discovery of gold at Ballarat. J. Brooksbank lost a dog in 1857 "LOST from the Half Way House, Smythe's Creek Road, a black bloodhound and kangaroo dog. Anyone detaining him after this date will be prosecuted. J. BROOKSBANK" (Ballarat Star, 30 December 1857) Another very early identity in Ballarat, James Oddie, advertised the sale of J. Brooksbank's hotel in 1860: "JAMES ODDIE & CO. have received instructions from the Mortgagees, to sell I by auction at their rooms, Dana street, on Thursday, 20th September, at twelve o'clock, All that desirable properly known as the , Halfway House Hotel, Together with all that piece or parcel of ' land situate in the parish of Cardigan and county of Grenville, containing 34 acres 1 rood 26 ½ perches, part of allotment 1, section 6, of said parish, situated on the Ballarat and Smythesdale road, and recently occupied by Mr J. Brooksbank. The property consists of a spacious stone building one story high, strong and substantially built, the internal fittings and arrangements are neat and complete. The house possesses all requisite accommodation for a respectable country hotel. In addition are stockyards, stables &c, all well and securely fenced. Terms at Sale. (Ballarat Star, 20 September 1860) Four years later Brookbank was selling his hotel in Lyons Street Ballarat: "RARE OPPORTUNITY.-FOR SALE the BLACK BULL HOTEL, Lyons street. The proprietor of the above hotel being about entering into another line of business, begs to call the attention of parties looking for a safe and profitable investment, the above having undergone thorough repairs, and is now in good working order and doing a fair share of business. The conditions will, be half cash, balance six, nine, and twelve months. Apply, J. Brooksbank, proprietor, on the premises. (Ballarat Star, 22 October 1864)

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Old Colonists' Club Ballarat (exterior detail), 2011

Key words

old colonists' club
old colonists' association
lydiard street

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall, Lydiard Street, 2011

Key words

ballarat old colonists' club
old colonists' association
old colonists' hall
lydiard street

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

no image

F.J. Williams' Home, Charles Anderson Grove

Key words

ballarat old colonists' club
old colonists' association
s. clark
f.j. williams
charles anderson grove
philanthropy

Historical information

The Old Colonists' Association Ballarat Inc. is a not for profit charitable organisation providing accommodation for elderly people. It manages a 27 Home retirement village at Charles Anderson Grove Ballarat. Accommodation is offered at significantly below market rates. It has been providing low cost accommodation to the elderly since the 1920s. The Association Council overseas the running of this facility on a voluntary basis. "GIFT COTTAGES.- Ballarat Old Colonists Benefit BALLARAT.— High tribute to the good citizenship of Mr. and Mrs. F. J. Williams, now of Melbourne, and Mr. S. Clark, of Ballarat. was paid by a representative gathering at Gillies-street on Thursday afternoon, when the two cottages respectively presented by them for the use of old and indigent colonists were handed over to the council of the Ballarat Old Colonists' Association. The cottages are handsome brick structures, modern in design and equipment, and cost about £650 each. Mr. A. H. Nevett, president of the Ballarat organisation, expressed the gratification of the association at the commencement of a scheme of cottages for old colonists, which had been the aim of the association for many years. Mr. Williams said that when in Ballarat he had been in many public movements as President of South-street and president of the amalgamtion (sic) movement, but in giving this cottage for the use of the old people he had established a tangible and definite link between himself and Ballarat. Similar sentiments were expressed by Mr. Clark, who said his benefaction had given him a great and genuine pleasure. Both donors were warmly thanked on be half of citizens generally by the mayor (Cr. A. E. Nicholson). At subsequent social gathering appropriate toasts were honored, and assurances were given that the association's scheme for 50 gift cottages on the lines of Melbourne would be furthered by several in the not far distant future. (The Age, 30 October 1925.)

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

no image

Sydney W. J. Clark House, Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat

Key words

s. clark
sidney clark
sidney w.j. clark
old colonists' association
ballarat old colonists' club
charles anderson grove
philanthropy

Historical information

The Old Colonists' Association Ballarat Inc. is a not for profit charitable organisation providing accommodation for elderly people. It manages a 27 Home retirement village at Charles Anderson Grove Ballarat. Accommodation is offered at significantly below market rates. It has been providing low cost accommodation to the elderly since the 1920s. The Association Council overseas the running of this facility on a voluntary basis. "GIFT COTTAGES.- Ballarat Old Colonists Benefit BALLARAT.— High tribute to the good citizenship of Mr. and Mrs. F. J. Williams, now of Melbourne, and Mr. S. Clark, of Ballarat. was paid by a representative gathering at Gillies-street on Thursday afternoon, when the two cottages respectively presented by them for the use of old and indigent colonists were handed over to the council of the Ballarat Old Colonists' Association. The cottages are handsome brick structures, modern in design and equipment, and cost about £650 each. Mr. A. H. Nevett, president of the Ballarat organisation, expressed the gratification of the association at the commencement of a scheme of cottages for old colonists, which had been the aim of the association for many years. Mr. Williams said that when in Ballarat he had been in many public movements as President of South-street and president of the amalgamtion (sic) movement, but in giving this cottage for the use of the old people he had established a tangible and definite link between himself and Ballarat. Similar sentiments were expressed by Mr. Clark, who said his benefaction had given him a great and genuine pleasure. Both donors were warmly thanked on be half of citizens generally by the mayor (Cr. A. E. Nicholson). At subsequent social gathering appropriate toasts were honored, and assurances were given that the association's scheme for 50 gift cottages on the lines of Melbourne would be furthered by several in the not far distant future. (The Age, 30 October 1925.) OBITUARY MR. SIDNEY W. J. CLARK BALLARAT, Friday. - After a long illness Mr. Sidney W. J. Clark, 76, a member of the Courier Pty. Ltd., died at Ballarat today. He was a son of the late Mr. Robert Clark, one of the founders of the journal. Mr. Clark was president of the Ballarat Bowling Club for 10 years, and was a member of the Australian bowling team that visited Britain some years ago. He was a benefactor to Ballarat charities, and gave a cottage to the Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Cottage Scheme. (The Argus, 27 December 1941.)

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Newsclipping - The Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat, 1888

Key words

ballarat old colonists' club
charles anderson grove
old colonists' association

Historical information

The Old Colonists' Association Ballarat Inc. is a not for profit charitable organisation providing accommodation for elderly people. It manages a 27 Home retirement village at Charles Anderson Grove Ballarat. Accommodation is offered at significantly below market rates. It has been providing low cost accommodation to the elderly since the 1920s. The Association Council overseas the running of this facility on a voluntary basis.

Inscriptions & Markings

OLD COLONISTS' ASSOCIATION OF BALLARAT. (FROM OUR CORRESPONDENT.) BALLARAT, WEDNESDAY. This association, which was founded in August, 1883, and at first known as the Old Identities' Association, now has a roll of 450 members. The objects of the association are "to aid and assist indigent or suffering old colonists ; to raise a fund, by the voluntary subscriptions of the members and the aid of outside donations, for the purpose of relieving members in sickness and old age; for assisting those in extreme distress, to provide the shelter of a home for old and indigent pioneers of the gold fields, their widows, or anyone connected with the association, and in the event of the death of any member to have his remains decently buried, the association defraying the expenses of the funeral (providing that no funds or property are left by the deceased), and to attend the funeral if so desired by the relatives." The qualifications for member ship are good character and repute, and residence in the colonies for a quarter of a century. For some time the association had no property except the regular subscriptions, but about a year ago they obtained from the Minister of Lands the grant of a very valuable block of land in Lydiard-street, the Crown grant of which they received last week. This block has a frontage of 66ft to Lydiard street, worth at least £100 a foot. The ground was given to the association as a site for them to build a hall upon, and with so valuable an asset they had no difficulty in borrowing at 7 per cent, enough money to construct a hall. For revenue purposes the ground floor of the building has been made into four shops, and the rental from these, judging from the rentals of shops in the vicinity, will not only pay all the interest on the borrowed money, but over £200 a year towards clearing off the principal. The officers of the association are Messrs J. P. Murray, President; J. W. Graham and T. Stoddart, vice presidents; D. Fern, treasurer; and J. Fraser, secretary. The Old Colonists' Hall is an elegant looking building in Lydiard-street, lying between the newly-opened mining exchange and the Commercial Club house, and a few doors north of the Post Office. The style of the facade is classic. The lower portion of the front is constructed of Waurn Ponds stone, forming piers, and the upper portion of brick and cement, the background being tuckpointed. The centre bay is carried by two three quarter columns with Ionic cups, which support a pediment on which is set a cast of the Ballarat coat of arms. The four other bays are supported by pilasters with Corinthian caps mid partly fluted. The entrance is through a spacious circular headed doorway, the keystone of the arch of which bears a sculptured head, in marble, representing that of the president of the Old Colonists' Association here, Mr. John P. Murray. An ample vestibule leads to a wide stone staircase which ends at a spacious landing. The landing has a dome over the centre, with cornice and enrichments, and is lighted from above. The walls round the landing are panelled with marble slabs, which are to be appropriately inscribed in the future. On the first door are the rooms appropriated to the association. The principal of these is a hall 44ft x 33ft and 17ft high. This room is well ventilated and lighted from the back of the building with large windows, and the walls are finished with Keene's cement. The other rooms are committee room, 14ft x 16ft; secretary's, 14ft x 17ft, 6in; kitchen, bedrooms, bathroom, &c. The front portion of the first floor is arranged so that it may be let for offices, or utilised for club purposes. Suitable provision has been made throughout for lighting, ventilation, and means of egress. The architect for the edifice is Mr A. G. Legge, of this city, and the contractors are Messrs. Whitelaw and Atkinson, Irving and Glover, Reynolds, and J. Donaldson. The total cost of the building when completed, which will be in a few weeks, will be about £4,000. (The Argus, 10 May 1888)

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Homes, Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat

Key words

charles anderson grove
old colonists' club, ballarat
old colonists' association
old colonists' homes
retirement village

Historical information

HISTORY OF THE BALLARAT OLD COLONISTS' ASSOCIATION HOMES AT CHARLES ANDERSON GROVE, LAKE GARDENS One of the original objectives of the Association was “to provide the shelter of a house for those Pioneers of the Goldfields whom the reverses of fortune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years.” While the first home at Charles Anderson Grove was built in 1925 the Association had previously provided relief for needy pioneers from the time it was formed in 1883. Relief included monthly monetary payments, loads of firewood, medical assistance and distribution of Christmas boxes of groceries to deserving pensioners and in some cases payment of burial costs. Records indicate that in September 1922 three of the pensioners being assisted by the Association were accepted as residents in the newly erected Hassell Homes in Gillies Street (now demolished-opposite the High School). The first site for an Asylum for Indigent Members of the Old Colonists' Association was temporarily reserved from sale in October 1891. The site was approximately 28 acres in area in Mt Clear nearly opposite Midvale Shopping Centre in Main Road. The site was heavily timbered and when cleared over 260 tons of wood was sold to the Woah Hawp Gold Mining Company. A set of gates were erected but no homes built, although a plan for this reserve was drawn which showed twenty buildings ranging from one to four unit per building. The reserve was revoked in November 1909. The second site temporarily reserved in November 1909 as an Asylum was in Alfredton and consisted of some 7 acres and was adjacent to land reserved for an Abattoirs for the Ballarat Council. The reserve was revoked in February 1912 as it was deemed more appropriate to be added to the Abattoir site. Council suggested four (4) other sites in exchange for this land and they were inspected by the President, Vice President and Secretary on 22 December 1912. The first site inspected was land on the west side of Creswick Road opposite the brick kilns (now occupied by the showgrounds and oval). The land was described as being good quality, well fenced, no trees, good drainage and ample acreage but some distance from trams. The second site was Perry Park which was described as being good land, well fenced, having frontage to Gillies Street, good drainage and about 26 acres (but subsequently reduced to 10 acres). It was closely planted with Pinus Insignias and Wattle and had easy access from the Botanic Gardens tram. The third site was the North West portion of Victoria Park (corner of Sturt and Gillies Street) and was described as good land, well fenced and drained and well located. The fourth site was the South West corner of Victoria Park and known as Pound Paddock (corner of Winter Street and Gillies Street). It was considered to be low lying and too close to the Abattoir, and was also a considerable distance from trams. While the third site was recommended as the most suitable for the erection of homes it was considered unwise from the point of view as citizens to reduce the acreage of the park and therefore it was recommended that the Perry Park site be asked for as the most acceptable to the Association for the building of homes. The site was eventually temporarily reserved for an Asylum for Indigent Members of the Association in April 1914 with the gates from Mt Clear having been removed to the site a year earlier and eventually erected in 1917 for £12.10.0. In the same year the first 290 pine trees were advertised for removal in July and sold for £16. A sign indicating that the site was reserved for the erection of cottages was erected in September 1917. Stripping of the wattle bark (for tanning) and the cutting of the wood occurred in November 1918 with the land then being leased until it was required for the construction of the first homes in 1924. While the site was the third to be reserved it was the only one which was used for its intended purpose. It was named as Charles Anderson Grove in honour of Charles Anderson who joined the Association in 1918 and was President of the Association from 1942 to 1944.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Image - The History of Charles Anderson and Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat

Key words

charles anderson
charles anderson grove
ballarat old colonists' club
old colonists' association, ballarat
ballarat mechanics' institute
hassell homes
woah hawp gold mining company
firewood
retirement village

Black and white photographic portrait of Charles Anderson.

Historical information

Information relating to Charles Anderson and Charles Anderson Grove, Lake Gardens, Ballarat. The Old Colonists' Association Ballarat Inc. is a not for profit charitable organisation providing accommodation for elderly people. It manages a 27 Home retirement village at Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat. Accommodation is offered at significantly below market rates. It has been providing low cost accommodation to the elderly since the 1920s. The Association Council overseas the running of this facility on a voluntary basis. HISTORY OF THE BALLARAT OLD COLONISTS' ASSOCIATION HOMES AT CHARLES ANDERSON GROVE, LAKE GARDENS One of the original objectives of the Association was “to provide the shelter of a house for those Pioneers of the Goldfields whom the reverses of fortune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years.” While the first home at Charles Anderson Grove was built in 1925 the Association had previously provided relief for needy pioneers from the time it was formed in 1883. Relief included monthly monetary payments, loads of firewood, medical assistance and distribution of Christmas boxes of groceries to deserving pensioners and in some cases payment of burial costs. Records indicate that in September 1922 three of the pensioners being assisted by the Association were accepted as residents in the newly erected Hassell Homes in Gillies Street (now demolished-opposite the High School). The first site for an Asylum for Indigent Members of the Old Colonists' Association was temporarily reserved from sale in October 1891. The site was approximately 28 acres in area in Mt Clear nearly opposite Midvale Shopping Centre in Main Road. The site was heavily timbered and when cleared over 260 tons of wood was sold to the Woah Hawp Gold Mining Company. A set of gates were erected but no homes built, although a plan for this reserve was drawn which showed twenty buildings ranging from one to four unit per building. The reserve was revoked in November 1909. The second site temporarily reserved in November 1909 as an Asylum was in Alfredton and consisted of some 7 acres and was adjacent to land reserved for an Abattoirs for the Ballarat Council. The reserve was revoked in February 1912 as it was deemed more appropriate to be added to the Abattoir site. Council suggested four (4) other sites in exchange for this land and they were inspected by the President, Vice President and Secretary on 22 December 1912. The first site inspected was land on the west side of Creswick Road opposite the brick kilns (now occupied by the showgrounds and oval). The land was described as being good quality, well fenced, no trees, good drainage and ample acreage but some distance from trams. The second site was Perry Park which was described as being good land, well fenced, having frontage to Gillies Street, good drainage and about 26 acres (but subsequently reduced to 10 acres). It was closely planted with Pinus Insignias and Wattle and had easy access from the Botanic Gardens tram. The third site was the North West portion of Victoria Park (corner of Sturt and Gillies Street) and was described as good land, well fenced and drained and well located. The fourth site was the South West corner of Victoria Park and known as Pound Paddock (corner of Winter Street and Gillies Street). It was considered to be low lying and too close to the Abattoir, and was also a considerable distance from trams. While the third site was recommended as the most suitable for the erection of homes it was considered unwise from the point of view as citizens to reduce the acreage of the park and therefore it was recommended that the Perry Park site be asked for as the most acceptable to the Association for the building of homes. The site was eventually temporarily reserved for an Asylum for Indigent Members of the Association in April 1914 with the gates from Mt Clear having been removed to the site a year earlier and eventually erected in 1917 for £12.10.0. In the same year the first 290 pine trees were advertised for removal in July and sold for £16. A sign indicating that the site was reserved for the erection of cottages was erected in September 1917. Stripping of the wattle bark (for tanning) and the cutting of the wood occurred in November 1918 with the land then being leased until it was required for the construction of the first homes in 1924. While the site was the third to be reserved it was the only one which was used for its intended purpose. It was named as Charles Anderson Grove in honour of Charles Anderson who joined the Association in 1918 and was President of the Association from 1942 to 1944. CHARLES HENRY GRATTAN ANDERSON C.H.G. Anderson (Electoral Returning Officer) was elected to membership of the Old Colonists' Association, Ballarat, in October 1918. He was elected to the Association Committee in 1926, and appointed Treasurer of the Association on the resignation of F. Ellis until the end of the financial year in 1933. In 1936 Charles Anderson indicated he would not be available for the President's Chair and that he would retire from the Committee owing to pressure of work. C.H.G. Anderson was welcomed as a new member of the Association in 1938, and served as President of the Old Colonists' Association from 1942-1944. Midway through 1949 Charles Anderson was appointed Members Secretary and Manager of the Ballarat Old Colonists' Club at £5.0.0 per week and 10/- for entertainment, to commence work prior to 01 August 1949. He was to do 30 hours per week and be present on Friday and generally on Saturday nights. In 1957 a minute of sympathy was extended to Club Manager Charles Anderson on the loss of his son. In 1958 a bonus of £20.0.0 was paid to Charles Anderson in recognition of his service in assisting the Secretary/Manager taking over under difficult conditions. In March 1964 the Shire of Ballarat would not permit a private road to be named Anderson Grove as Anderson Street already existed in Ballarat but Charles Anderson Grove was deemed acceptable. A recommendation of the Committee was put to the AGM in 1967 that Charles Anderson be made a Life Member. In 1969 an Association meeting observed a minutes silence in memory of Chas Anderson. Charles Anderson was also a Committee member of Ballarat Mechanics' Institute from February 1940 to February 1970. He was President in 1948.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

no image

Document - Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Act, 1903

Key words

ballarat old colonists' association
legislation
old colonists' association act

Five page piece of legislation known as the Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Act, 1903 (Act No. 1890/1903)

Historical information

The Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Act 1903 was assented to on 24 December 1903 and came into operation on 24 December 1903.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Sepia - Aboriginal Woman and Child

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Sepia - Aboriginal Men

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Sepia - Mullawullah (King Billy)

Key words

king billy
mullawullah
aborigines
aboriginal

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Sepia - Two Aboriginal Men with Boomerangs

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Sepia - Aboriginal Man on a Chair

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Sepia - Three Aboriginal Men

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Sepia - Aboriginal Man and Woman in front of Two Scarred Trees

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Three Aboriginal Men, one wearing a chest plate

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Costume - Aboriginal Chest Plate

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Miner's License

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Gold License

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Andrew Anderson

Key words

andrew anderson
old colonists' association ballarat

Photographic protrait of Andrew Anderson.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Mining License

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central