Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc. Ballarat Central, Victoria

The origins of the Ballarat Old Colonists’ Association can be traced back to 1867 when James Oddie instigated a reunion of early gold miners. The group was known initially as the Golden Point Old Pioneers Association and later simply as the Ballarat Pioneers Association. The miners initially met on an ad hoc basis for social purposes and in 1883 meetings were formalised becoming the formal beginning. The name was changed over and finally to its current ‘The Old Colonists’ Association of Ballarat’.

The home of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat was constructed in 1887-9 on the site of the barracks and stables of the gold escort in Lydiard Street North. The Association represented the early pioneers in the vicinity, who came in search of gold from the 1850s. It was a benevolent body that aimed to specifically assist indigent miners.

The original objectives of the Association were documented in August 1883 as follows:
"To form a band of brotherhood amongst those whose past experience in commercial and mining pursuits so intimately associate them with the early history of the goldfields; men to whose indomitable energy and perseverance Ballarat and other mining centres of the Colony are so largely indebted for their development and commercial property. Some of whose names are also closely identified with the memorable and sanguinary struggle for Freedom and Constitutional Liberty i 1854 (Eureka). To gather within one fold, those who survived stirring times; to meet occasionally in friendly and social intercourse; to relieve our brethren who are overtaken by sickness or affliction; t provide the shelter of a house for those Pioneers of the Goldfields whom the reverses of fortune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years; to assist the widow and succor the orphan; to materially cheer and support each other in our temporary troubles and vicissitudes, as we journey onward to the grave; and lastly, to render a tribute of respect to the memory of a departed brother, by following his remains to their final resting place."

The Old Colonists’ Association (OCA) know captures the spirit of the original objectives and interprets it to suit contemporary needs. It remains as a philanthropic charitable organisation providing accommodation for elderly people. In the 1920s Charles Anderson Grove was established to provide low cost accommodation to the elderly and currently twenty seven homes are available (constructed in stages between 1923 and 1983) with each Independent Living Unit identified by a name plate referencing the benefactor. Accommodation is offered at significantly below market rates. The Association has been providing low cost accommodation to the elderly since the 1920s. A number of further Independent Living Units to be built at Charles Anderson Grove will be constructed in the near future. The OCA Council oversees the running of this facility on a voluntary basis. The OCA is a Public Benevolent Institution with the Australian Tax Office Deductible Gift Recipient Status.

Links

Contact Information

location
14-16 Lydiard (North) Street Ballarat Central Victoria 3350

Contact

Opening Hours

The Old Colonist's Club is open to members. Visits can be arranged by appointment, or during special openings such as Ballarat Heritage Weekend (May)

Entry Fee

N/A

Location

16-14 Lydiard (North) Street Ballarat Central Victoria

Bernadette 30 April 2019 2:03 PM

I have been referred to you to ask about the availability of accommodation.

Clare Gervasoni 30 April 2019 3:34 PM

Hi Bernadette, There are some requirements for entrance to our retirement village. Please direct your enquiry to the Old Colonists' Association, 20 Lydiard Street South Ballarat, or drop into the Old Colonists' Hall and ask the manager for further details.

Victorian Collections is no longer accepting public comments

Contact the collector

238 items

238 items

Photograph - Colour - Dining at the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall, 2017

Key words

ballarat old colonists' club
ballarat old colonists' hall
dining

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Sepia - Three Aboriginal Men

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Centenial Plaque on the outside of the Old Colonists' Hall, Lydiard Street North, Ballarat.

Key words

old colonists' hall
j.e. reeves
b.r. drennan
j.e. crocker
centenary

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat This plaque was unveiled by Cr. J.E. Reeves, Mayor of the City of Ballaarat, on 21st June, 1987, to comemorate the centenary of the laying of the foundation stone of the Old Colonists' Hall B.R. Drennan J.E. Crocker President Secretary

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Untitled

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Image - Members of the Old Colonists' Association, 1917

Key words

old colonists' hall
s. walker
j. t. sleep
w. h. stokeld,
j. a. blight
r.u. nicholls
william robertson
e. e. llewellyn
mrs. r. smith
a. sheppard
j. t. clarke
j. lamb
t. w. scott
s. walmsley
c. robinson
g. r. coutts
j. lammin
a. w. crowe
j. don
w. g. chalmers
j, jones
c. simpson
a. m. palmer
h. fields
w. trahar
h. c. handford
s. walsh
a. cant
j. nicholls
j. longstaff
a. robertson
j. welham
j. king
c. e. wright
j. pounder
c. r. anderson
g. merz
d. m. paterson

Members of the Old Colonists' Association in the Old Colonists' Hall. Front Row (left to Right): Messrs. S. Walker, J. T. Sleep, W. H. Stokeld, J. A. Blight (Trustees), R.U. Nicholls (Vice-President), Wm. Robertson (Vice-President). E. E. Llewellyn (Councillor). Mrs. R. Smith, Messrs, A. Sheppard, J. T. Clarke. Second Row: Messrs. J. Lamb, T. W. Scott, S. Walmsley, C. Robinson, G. R. Coutts, J. Lammin, A. W. Crowe, J. Don, W, G. Chalmers, J, Jones, C. Simpson, A. M. Palmer, H. Fields, W. Trahar, H. C. Handford. Third Row: Messrs. S. Walsh, A. Cant, J. Nicholls, J. Longstaff, A. Robertson, J. Welham, J. King, C. E. Wright, J. Pounder, C. R. Anderson, G. Merz, and D. M. Paterson. Anderson, G. Merz, and D. M. Paterson. Anderson, G. Mers;, and D. M. Paterson.

Historical information

Although the portrait of Graham is still in existence, the rest of the memorbilia on the wall is no longer in the hands of the Association.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Permewan Cottage, Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat, 2017

Key words

charles anderson grove, ballarat
ballarat old colonists' club
old colonists' association, ballarat

Historical information

The Permewan Cottage was built in 1956.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Entrance Doors to the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall Doors, 2017

Key words

old colonists' association ballarat
ballarat old colonists' club
mary batten
club president

Colour photorgraph of the entrance Doors to the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall

Inscriptions & Markings

"Mary Batten President Old Colonists' Club 2002-2003 Presented by the Council to the Old Colonists' Club at the Association's Annual General Meeting 20th November 2003 as a token of respect & in recognition of Mary's contribution as the first lady President of the Old Colonists' Club"

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Interior View of the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall, 2015

Key words

old colonists' association ballarat
ballarat old colonists' club
ballarat old colonists' hall

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Object - Old Colonists' Association Rosette Cricket Match

Key words

ballarat old colonists' association
ballarat old colonists' club
old colonists' association, ballarat

Black and white photograph of a number of men, some in cricket whites.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Newly Completed cottaged at the Charles Anderson Grove Retirement Village, 2018.

Key words

charles anderson grove
retirement village
old colonists' association ballarat

Colour photographs of newly completed cottages at the Ballarat Old Colonists' Assoication retirement village at Charles Anderson Grove.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Plan - Old Colonists' Association Proposed New Cottages Nos 1, 2, 3, 4

Key words

old colonists' association ballarat
charles anderson grove
retirement village
old colonists' association ballarat cottages

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

no image

F.J. Williams' Home, Charles Anderson Grove

Key words

ballarat old colonists' club
old colonists' association
s. clark
f.j. williams
charles anderson grove
philanthropy

Historical information

The Old Colonists' Association Ballarat Inc. is a not for profit charitable organisation providing accommodation for elderly people. It manages a 27 Home retirement village at Charles Anderson Grove Ballarat. Accommodation is offered at significantly below market rates. It has been providing low cost accommodation to the elderly since the 1920s. The Association Council overseas the running of this facility on a voluntary basis. "GIFT COTTAGES.- Ballarat Old Colonists Benefit BALLARAT.— High tribute to the good citizenship of Mr. and Mrs. F. J. Williams, now of Melbourne, and Mr. S. Clark, of Ballarat. was paid by a representative gathering at Gillies-street on Thursday afternoon, when the two cottages respectively presented by them for the use of old and indigent colonists were handed over to the council of the Ballarat Old Colonists' Association. The cottages are handsome brick structures, modern in design and equipment, and cost about £650 each. Mr. A. H. Nevett, president of the Ballarat organisation, expressed the gratification of the association at the commencement of a scheme of cottages for old colonists, which had been the aim of the association for many years. Mr. Williams said that when in Ballarat he had been in many public movements as President of South-street and president of the amalgamtion (sic) movement, but in giving this cottage for the use of the old people he had established a tangible and definite link between himself and Ballarat. Similar sentiments were expressed by Mr. Clark, who said his benefaction had given him a great and genuine pleasure. Both donors were warmly thanked on be half of citizens generally by the mayor (Cr. A. E. Nicholson). At subsequent social gathering appropriate toasts were honored, and assurances were given that the association's scheme for 50 gift cottages on the lines of Melbourne would be furthered by several in the not far distant future. (The Age, 30 October 1925.)

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Dining at the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall, 2017

Key words

ballarat old colonists' club
ballarat old colonists' hall
dining

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Image - Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Residence - Williams Cottage

Key words

old colonists' association, ballarat
ballarat old colonists' club
charles anderson grove
f.j. william
retirement village
williams cottage

Colour photograph of Williams Cottage at The Old Colonists' Assiation of Ballarat Inc retirement village at Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat.

Historical information

This home was the first cottage built by the Old Colonists' Association, and was the gift of Mr and Mrs F.J. Williams. It was completed in 1925. From the minute books: "Mr and Mrs F.J. Williams, both natives of Ballarat, offered to build a cottage on the Association's ground at Perry Park [now Charles Anderson Grove] something after a style of the Hassell Homes. That Offer was immediately followed by another from Mr S.W.J. Clark, a member of the Council. Both offers were promptly and gratefully accepted." One of the first objectives of the Association was "to provide the shelter of a hose for those Pioneers of the Goldfields whom the reverses of fortune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years." The first home at Charles Anderson Grove was built in 1925. Before that time the Association provided relief for needy pioneers. relief included monthly monetary payments, loads of firewood, medical assistance and distribution of Christmas bosed of groceries to deserving pensioners, and in some cases payment of burial costs. ::a) The dominant purpose of the Association is to give public benevolent relief as a charity, but providing independent living accommodation in our Retirement Village for person in need who are over 65. ::b) To raise funds by membership subscription, commercial and residential rents, donations, gifts and voluntary work, for the purpose of providing direct relief of poverty, distress, misfortune or helplessness. ::c) To maintain the important heritage and ongoing viability of the Old Colonists' Association. (Revised Rules of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., 2016)

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Entrance to the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall

Key words

old colonists' hall
ballarat old colonists' association
doors
lydiard street

Colour photograph of a timber door.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Image - Maryborough Town Hall and Port Office, c1903

Key words

maryborough, victoria
maryborough town hall
maryborough post office

Black and white imahe of the Maryborough Town Hall and Port Office, with horse drawn vehicles in the foreground.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Cottages at the Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Retirement Village, 2018

Key words

old colonists' association ballarat
charles anderson grove
retirement village

The Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat retirement village at Charles Anderson Grove.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - All In Readiness for the President's Dinner at the Old Colonists' Hall, Ballarat, 2016

Key words

old colonists' association ballarat
ballarat old colonists' club
ballarat old colonists' hall
presidents' dinner

Colour photograph of a room in the Old COlonists' Hall set up for the Old Colonists' Association President's Dinner.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Permewen Cottage at the Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Retirement Village, 2018

Key words

charles anderson grove, ballarat
ballarat old colonists' club
old colonists' association, ballarat
permewen cottage

Permewen Cottage at the Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Retirement Village, Charles Anderson Grove.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - John Brooksbank's Old Identities' medal

Key words

old identities association
old colonists' association ballarat
c.a. welch
silversmith
numismatics
j. brooksbank
medal

Colour photograph of a sterling silver medal relating to The Old Identities' Association 1851-1854. The medallion, belonging to John Brooksbank, has a drilled hole at the top suggesting it was worn by the owner at some stage in its life.

Historical information

The Old Identities' Association was a forerunner of the Old Colonists' Association Ballarat. John Brooksbank was a very early arrival to Ballarat in September 1851, which was not long after the discovery of gold at Ballarat. J. Brooksbank lost a dog in 1857 "LOST from the Half Way House, Smythe's Creek Road, a black bloodhound and kangaroo dog. Anyone detaining him after this date will be prosecuted. J. BROOKSBANK" (Ballarat Star, 30 December 1857) Another very early identity in Ballarat, James Oddie, advertised the sale of J. Brooksbank's hotel in 1860: "JAMES ODDIE & CO. have received instructions from the Mortgagees, to sell I by auction at their rooms, Dana street, on Thursday, 20th September, at twelve o'clock, All that desirable properly known as the , Halfway House Hotel, Together with all that piece or parcel of ' land situate in the parish of Cardigan and county of Grenville, containing 34 acres 1 rood 26 ½ perches, part of allotment 1, section 6, of said parish, situated on the Ballarat and Smythesdale road, and recently occupied by Mr J. Brooksbank. The property consists of a spacious stone building one story high, strong and substantially built, the internal fittings and arrangements are neat and complete. The house possesses all requisite accommodation for a respectable country hotel. In addition are stockyards, stables &c, all well and securely fenced. Terms at Sale. (Ballarat Star, 20 September 1860) Four years later Brookbank was selling his hotel in Lyons Street Ballarat: "RARE OPPORTUNITY.-FOR SALE the BLACK BULL HOTEL, Lyons street. The proprietor of the above hotel being about entering into another line of business, begs to call the attention of parties looking for a safe and profitable investment, the above having undergone thorough repairs, and is now in good working order and doing a fair share of business. The conditions will, be half cash, balance six, nine, and twelve months. Apply, J. Brooksbank, proprietor, on the premises. (Ballarat Star, 22 October 1864)

Inscriptions & Markings

The medal has been engraved: Arrived "Sep 51 J. Brooksbank

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Dining at the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall, 2017

Key words

ballarat old colonists' club
entrance hall

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Dining at the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall, 2017

Key words

ballarat old colonists' club
ballarat old colonists' hall
dining
eureka flag replica
eureka flag

Colour photograph of the Eureka Flag behind a set table in the Old Colonists' Hall, Ballarat.

Historical information

The Eureka Flag hanging on the wall is an exact replica of the Southern Cross flag which flew over the Eureka Stockade. It was copied from the original flag held by the Art Gallery of Ballarat. Exact measurements were taken from the flag and the replica was made by George Lemke and Co. The replica was made because the original was in fragile condition. (Ballarat Courier, 16 February 1965)

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Clock - Wall Clock

Key words

old colonists' association, ballarat
ballarat old colonists' club
clock

Timber cased wall clock

Historical information

This clock has been changed to battery operation.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Card

Key words

ballarat old colonists' club

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Three Aboriginal Men, one wearing a chest plate

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Club rules, framed

Key words

old colonists' club
ballarat
rules

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall and Shops, 2017

Key words

ballarat old colonists' club
ballarat old colonists' association
ballarat old colonists' hall
shopfront

Photographs of the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall and the four associated shops. The hall is located at 20 Lydiard Street South, Ballarat, and was built in 1887.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Image - Alexander Bell

Key words

old colonists' association of ballarat
old colonists' club
jessie scott
richard bell

Portrait of Alexander Bell, member of the Old Colonists Association of Ballarat.

Historical information

Richard Bell was born in Dumfermline, Scotland in 1850, arriving in Victoria with his family as a child. He worked at the grocery store of W.L. Wilson, Skipton Street, Sebastopol for six years before opening his own grocery business on the corner of Drummond and South Streets, Ballarat. The business was successful and he retired 15 years later. He was elected to the Ballarat City Council in 1891, and in 1892 he started an auctioneering and sharebroking business in partnership with Mr Lambert. Organisations such as the Ballarat Woollen Company and the Ballarat Tramway Board benefited from Richard Bell's association with them, and he was the Director of many mining companies. He was a member of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat, the Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute and the Commercial Club. Richard Bell was interest in erecting statues in Sturt Street to the memory of the poets Burns and Moore, and served on the relevant committee to that end. He was a long term truster of the Miners' Association, and took a very active part in the South Street Debating Society. In April 1874 Richard Bell married Jessie Scott, and the couple had two sons and seven daughters.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Photograph - Colour - Old Colonists' Association Meeting Room with Replica Eureka Flag, 2015

Key words

old colonists' association ballarat
ballarat old colonists' club
eureka flag

A timber table and replica Eureka Flag dominate an interior room of the Ballarat Old Colonists' Hall.

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central

Image - Ballarat Old Colonists' Association Residence - Clark Cottage

Key words

ballarat old colonists' club
charles anderson grove
sydney w.j. clark

Colour photograph of The Old Colonists' Association Cottage at The Old Colonists' Assiation of Ballarat Inc retirement village at Charles Anderson Grove, Ballarat.

Historical information

This home was the second cottage built by the Old Colonists' Association, and was the gift of Sydney W.J. Clark. It was completed in 1925. From the minute books: "Mr and Mrs F.J. Williams, both natives of Ballarat, offered to build a cottage on the Association's ground at PErry Park [now Charles Anderson Grove] something after a style of the Hassell Homes. That Offer was immediately followed by another from Mr S.W.J. Clark, a member of the Council. Both offers were promOne of the first objectives of the Association was "to provide the shelter of a hose for those Pioneers of the Goldfields whom the reverses of fortune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years." The first home at Charles Anderson Grove was built in 1925. Before that time the Association provided relief for needy pioneers. relief included monthly monetary payments, loads of firewood, medical assistance and distribution of Christmas bosed of groceries to deserving pensioners, and in some cases payment of burial costs. ::a) The dominant purpose of the Association is to give public benevolent relief as a charity, but providing independent living accommodation in our Retirement Village for person in need who are over 65. ::b) To raise funds by membership subscription, commercial and residential rents, donations, gifts and voluntary work, for the purpose of providing direct relief of poverty, distress, misfortune or helplessness. ::c) To maintain the important heritage and ongoing viability of the Old Colonists' Association. (Revised Rules of the Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., 2016)

Old Colonists' Association of Ballarat Inc., Ballarat Central