Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated Victoria

The Sunshine and District Historical Society was formed in 1972. The Society set out to work on the history of the areas that made up the City of Sunshine. As the Society's work became more widely known, it was entrusted with historical records and photographs. These included the records of Sunshine Technical School, dating from 1913, hard copy of the Sunshine Advocate and films made by J.J. Jackson. The strength of the Society's research encouraged the City of Sunshine to accept an offer from ICI Australia to take over the Hunt Club Hotel in Deer Park and establish a home for the Society in the caretaker's cottage.

Links

Contact Information

location
Sunshine & District Historical Society Incorporated PO Box 720 Sunshine Victoria 3020 (map)
phone
+61 03 9249 4614

Contact

Opening Hours

Tuesdays 10am - 3pm at the HUNT CLUB, 775 Ballarat Rd, Deer Park 3023. Wednesdays 2pm - 4pm at the SUNSHINE LIBRARY, Hampshire Rd, Sunshine 3020.

Entry Fee

Free

Location

HUNT CLUB, 775 Ballarat Road, Deer Park 3023. SUNSHINE LIBRARY, Hampshire Road, Sunshine 3020. Victoria

View on Google Maps

The SHS collection covers a wide range of themes and timeframes. The material from the Sunshine Technical School and its association with HV McKay dates from 1913. The National Museum of Australia recently borrowed the first volume of the school's Minute Books. The SHS material relating to HV McKay is limited but compliments larger amounts in collections from other institutions such as Museum Victoria.

Significance

The SHS collection as a whole has historical significance for the extent that it conveys the aspects of the history of the community. In part it reflects the diversity of people that came to the district as well as focusing on some key industries such as McKay, Nettlefold, Spalding, Australian Defence Industry and Altona Explosives. The historical significance is tied up in the numerous ways the collection can be used to enhance the understanding of Sunshine and the local district. It also forms an important source of information for local and industrial history researchers, as well as having great interpretive potential for 'storytelling' and educational programs. Family historians are always keen to learn more about the industries that once employed their relatives, as well as thousands of others.

Meredith Blake 1 August 2013 3:31 PM

Great work S&DHS! Good to see some new items up and particularly enjoyed seeing the Phoenix Fireworks Sales Poster

Leave a comment

59 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (59) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

59 items

Book - Prefects Pledge - SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL

Key words

sunshine high school, prefects pledge, book, 1958 to 1971, prefects signatures

Small brown hardcover book with cream pages. Contains the Prefects Pledge hand written in black ink, and the signatures in blue and black inks of boy and girl Sunshine High School Prefects from the years 1958 to 1971

Historical information

Sunshine High School had the system of Prefects being elected by the students from candidates nominated by the teachers. It is unknown whether the exact number of votes each elected Prefect received was ever released to the students. Prefects were used to supervise the behaviour of other students, and to book them for offences such as not wearing caps on the way to and from school. In the Pledge book there are empty pages after 1971 so it is unknown whether the signing of the Prefects Pledge was abandoned after then. Sunshine High School existed in its own right in the Melbourne suburb of Sunshine for a relatively short period between 1955 to 1991. The school amalgamated with the following five secondary schools: Sunshine Technical School, Tottenham Technical School, North Sunshine Technical School, Sunshine West High School, and Ardeer High School to form the multi campus Sunshine College in 1992. The buildings of the former Sunshine High School on Ballarat Road now form part of the Sunshine Campus of Victoria University.

Significance

The book is a historical record of the names and signatures of the Prefects that signed the Prefects Pledge, and served the Sunshine High School over the 14 years between 1958 to 1971 inclusive. It also contains the names and signatures of witnesses to the signatures.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

School Magazine - SUNVALE PRIMARY SCHOOL - 'A Scrap Book of Memories 1957 - 1997'

Key words

sunvale
primary school
school magazine
scrap book of memories
moons paddock
1957
1997
bartels
dash
sanford
kilborn
cuddy

Bright yellow covered 40 page book with green and white printing on the cover. A large emblem of the no longer existing SUNVALE PRIMARY SCHOOL is featured on the front cover, and a smaller version is on the back. The magazine is described as "A Scrap Book of Memories", and covers the years 1957 to 1997.

Historical information

The Sunvale Primary School was situated on Neil Street, near Hertford Road, Sunshine, on the former Moons paddock. The school was officially opened on the 9th of October 1957 with an enrolment of 214 students. Most of the students were transferred from the overcrowded Sunshine, and Sunshine East Primary Schools. The acting head teacher and five temporary teachers came from the East Sunshine Primary School from which about 170 students also came. During the later years the school operated as part of a three campus primary school complex formed between Sunvale Primary School, Sunshine East Primary School, and Braybrook Primary School. After the modern Sunshine Harvester Primary School was built on the East Sunshine Primary School site, the students from the Braybrook and Sunvale schools were transferred there. Sunvale Primary School was closed on 9th September 2009.

Significance

The magazine is a historical record of the initial 40 years of the school and of activities associated with the school. It contains the names of the Principals, from Mr. Bartels in 1957 to Mr. A. Dash in 1997, and also the names of Chairs of the School Council, from Mr. F. Sanford to Mr. T. Cuddy. It also features articles on the history of the school, the mothers club, the parents & friends members, special events & features, class & staff photographs, sport, and has a memories section. The special events & features section includes the school ball, camps, the Governor's visit in 1995, and Sunvale's famous Olympian staff member Pam Kilborn.

Inscriptions & Markings

SUNVALE Primary School S/PS HONOURS WITH HONOUR A Scrap Book of Memories 1957 - 1997

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Farewell Card (1961) - JOHN S. WILLATON "Good Luck Jack"

Key words

willaton john s.
farewell card
retirement
massey ferguson
h. v. mckay
workmate signatures
mckay

Farewell signatures of 112 workmates on the retirement on 4-8-1961 of JOHN S. WILLATON from Massey-Ferguson (Australia) Ltd, after working more than 43 years. The document contains 3 pages of signatures bound in a fawn coloured cardboard folder. The 3 pages are bound to the folder with a black ribbon tape and the folder has a green coloured tape on the back edge.

Historical information

John Sherlock Willaton was born 1.8.1897 in Sebastopol near Ballarat. In 1916 aged 18 years 8 months he enlisted in the 1st AIF and embarked overseas with the blessing of his employer even though he had not completed his apprenticeship. He was wounded in action with a bullet wound to the right foot. His family moved from Ballarat to Sunshine in 1917 and when he was discharged in 1918 he joined the Sunshine Harvester Works as a Fitter and Turner. He was promoted to Sub Foreman of the Bolt Shop toolroom where one of his main responsibilities was training apprentices and he remained in that position until his retirement on the 4.8.1961.

Significance

Contains original signatures of 112 workmates at Massey-Ferguson (Australia) Ltd of John S. Willaton. It is an original document and the only copy in existence.

Inscriptions & Markings

112 signatures of John S. Willaton's workmates.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Receipt (1912) - HUGH V. McKAY - SUNSHINE HARVESTER

Key words

receipt no. 1773
sunshine harvester
hugh v. mckay
mr m. norton
1912
victoria stamp duty
1d

Very light tan coloured paper receipt No.1773 issued on 6/3/1912 by Sunshine Harvester / Hugh V. McKay to Mr M. Norton. The receipt has fire damage on the left side and so some details are missing. Details are hand written in ink in the spaces provided. A greenish coloured one penny (1d) Victoria Stamp Duty stamp is affixed.

Historical information

Interpreting from the details that can be read it is believed that on 6/3/1912 Mr. M. Norton paid by cheque the sum of 5 Pounds 19 Shillings and 5 Pence, of which 5 Pounds 3 Shillings and 11 Pence was for a Summons possibly issued on 23/2/1912, while 15 Shillings and 6 Pence was the charge for the costs of the Summons. This is not a document issued by a Court of Law so use of the word 'Summons' is confusing to us at this stage. Was it just standard practice to send out a bill and call it a Summons, or was Mr. Norton late in paying and so had to pay an extra charge after being 'summoned' a second time. Could this receipt be part of a 'promissory note' exchange, payment for which had to be summoned? Another thing that can't be explained at this stage is the use of the symbol % after the amount of money written in figures, just after the Pence amount. The symbol for Pence in those days, and until decimal currency, was d as can be seen from the Duty Stamp. In 1912 and before did % also stand for Pence when the money amount was written by hand, or could it have been a shorthand way of indicating something like 'portion of amount'? This receipt is very intriguing and so we will endeavour to try to fully understand the information it contains. If any person can provide information that may assist us, then please contact the Sunshine & District Historical Society.

Significance

The receipt is significant to our Society because it was issued by Sunshine Harvester / Hugh V. McKay more than 100 years ago. It also appears to contain information that at this stage is not fully understood, such as the use of the % sign, and why the word summons is used. Of further interest, but perhaps not surprising for the times, is that only Mr. is printed on the receipt. It appears that they never expected to issue these type of receipts to females.

Inscriptions & Markings

6 3 1912 ......ved by Cheque from Mr. M Norton ......ne the sum of Five ...... nineteen Shillings and five Pence, with ......being £5.3.11% of Enclosed Summons 23. 2.12 & 15/6 % Costs of Same.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Club Badge - BRAYBROOK & DISTRICT MOTORCYCLE CLUB

Key words

leather badge
braybrook & district motorcycle club
motorcycle club
braybrook.

Brown circular shaped leather badge with white printed lettering around the perimeter of the badge, and with a white printed motorcycle and rider in the centre.

Historical information

This leather badge was made around circa 1950, and was sewn on to the leather jacket worn by Ian Downing. The Braybrook Motorcycle Club was formed in 1947 and on the 10th July 1950 merged with the Sunshine Club to form the Braybrook & District Motorcycle Club. In the mid 1960's the club disbanded and its activities were merged with the Newport Club. For a more detailed summary of the history of this motorcycle club, please refer to the information posted on this site for the item 'Club Sticker - BRAYBROOK & DISTRICT MOTORCYCLE CLUB'.

Significance

The Braybrook & District Motorcycle Club has not existed in its own right since the mid 1960's. This particular badge is over 60 years old and is likely to be a relatively rare item. The badge serves as a reminder that the Braybrook & District Motorcycle Club was once part of the recreational scene in the Braybrook / Sunshine area.

Inscriptions & Markings

"BRAYBROOK & DISTRICT M.C.C."

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Replica of McKay Smithy

Key words

smithy
h. v. mckay
sunshine harvester works
drummartin
replica
massey harris
massey ferguson

Brown wooden building with bark roof. This building is a FULL SIZED REPLICA of the original SMITHY that was used by H. V. McKay.

Historical information

This Smithy is a replica of the building in which the first H. V. McKay harvester was built at Drummartin in northern Victoria in 1884. The original Smithy was moved from Drummartin to Sunshine Victoria where it remained for many years outside the H. V. McKay manufacturing plant. With the construction of the standard gauge railway line the road outside the Smithy was demolished, and the original Smithy was taken to the Melbourne Museum.The original Smithy is now in a fragile state and is no longer on public display at the Melbourne Museum. The site where the original Smithy stood in Sunshine was no longer available so the replica Smithy was erected a few hundred metres away, in the South East corner of Barclay Reserve on King Edward Ave, Albion 3020.

Significance

The replica Smithy permits the public to view a full sized model of the building which eventually led to the formation of the H. V. McKay Sunshine Harvester Works. This firm grew to being considered the main manufacturing plant in the southern hemisphere, and also led to the local area being renamed in 1907 from Braybrook Junction to Sunshine.

Inscriptions & Markings

THE SUNSHINE HARVESTER WORKS 1884

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Galvanised Wash Tub

Key words

washing tub
galvanised tub
laundry
bath
displaced persons
immigration
general m. b. stewart
galvanized tub
pierzak
galvanised wash tub

Oval shaped galvanised iron tub with two rigid handles, one at each end. The top of the tub is larger than the base. The galvanising is deteriorating in some parts which show a whitish appearance. There are some small dents, and a few chips in the galvanising where surface rust has appeared.

Historical information

Many displaced people who migrated to Australia after World War 2 brought similar tubs with them as part of their luggage. The tubs were valued by the migrants because they were used for washing clothes and other laundry items, and for bathing children and even adults. The tub in our possession was brought out to Australia in 1950 by the Pierzak family who eventually settled in North Sunshine, Victoria. The following story about the Pierzak family has been provided by the daughter Halina Wlodarczyk (nee Pierzak). The father Stanislaw Pierzak was born on the 26th of July 1916 in Zbrza, and the mother Teodozja (Teodozia) Szalas on the 5th of March 1919 in Goleciny, both villages in the Kielce district of Poland. In 1940 they were both taken by the German Army to work as slave labour on farms in Germany. Stanislaw worked in the Saxonia area and Teodozja near Dillingen. The work was hard, and when Teodozja contracted pneumonia she was told that she would not be given any food if she did not work. After the war the displaced persons, as they were called, were settled in various barracks and camps organised by the United States Army. Stanislaw and Teodozja married in Gablingen, Bavaria, Germany, and Halina was born in the camp at Gablingen in 1949. The displaced people were given the choice of several countries if they wanted to migrate from war torn Germany, and so the Pierzak family chose Australia. The Pierzak family set sail from Naples, Italy aboard the ship General M. B. Stewart and arrived in Sydney on the 17th of April 1950. The men and women had to stay in separate quarters, and many passengers were so sick that they did not think they would survive the journey. In Australia they lived in migrant camps in NSW at Bathurst, Orange, Parkes and Cowra. To pay off their fares to Australia migrants were required to work under contract for 2 years. Stanislaw Pierzak worked in Broken Hill NSW returning to visit his family every 3 to 4 months. The son John was born in the Red Cross building at the Parkes camp in 1952. In 1953 the whole family moved to Melbourne and lived in a converted garage in Victor Street, North Sunshine. In 1954 the family bought a bungalow on a block of land in Compton Parade, North Sunshine, where eventually they built a house. Stanislaw Pierzak worked at Steelweld in Ashley Street, Braybrook travelling there on his bicycle, while Teodozja Pierzak found work at Smorgon in West Footscray. Stanislaw and Teodozja Pierzak lived in North Sunshine for the rest of their lives, and Mrs Pierzak always said that Sunshine was the best place in the world.

Significance

Tubs like this which belonged to displaced people were highly valued possessions and are of historic significance. They were brought out to Australia after World War 2 by many migrating displaced families. The tubs were used for washing activities in the camps in Germany, and the migrant camps in Australia, and also when people lived in bungalows in Australia before they built houses with laundries and bathrooms.

Inscriptions & Markings

The number 70 is stamped on both sides.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Honour Board - PAST PRESIDENTS of the SUNSHINE and DISTRICT FRIENDLY SOCIETIES DISPENSARY

Key words

sunshine and district friendly societies dispensary
honour board
1st march 1930
1/3/1930
sunshine u.f.s. dispensary
semmens
rooney
miller
richer
armstrong
rewell
johnson

Brown stained wood particle board with picture frame type edging. The board has six straight sides however it is not typical hexagon shaped. The top is composed of three straight short edges to give an almost rounded edge to an otherwise oblong shaped bottom section.

Historical information

Friendly Societies originated in the industrial areas of the United Kingdom. The first society in Victoria was formed in 1839 and by 1913 more than half of the Victorian population was insured by Friendly Societies in some fashion. The societies were financed by Members' subscriptions and offered health benefits and other welfare services, before these services were provided by the government. Doctors were paid by the societies to treat members free of charge, and Dispensaries were established to provide members with subsidised quality medicines. The Sunshine and District Friendly Societies Dispensary was established on the 1st of March 1930 with a membership of 896, and it was located in Sun Crescent Sunshine. The membership grew to 1052 within 4.5 years, and the number of prescriptions dispensed in the 6 months prior to November 30,1935 totalled 10,535. The Dispenser was Mr. C. H. Semmens. Most Friendly Societies operated democratically with office bearers changed regularly to prevent power cliques. The Sunshine Dispensary appears to have operated in the same way as the societies that owned it. The Advocate of 10 July 1936 reports that the seven newly elected office bearers or delagates were from the Friendly Societies; A.N.A., M.U.I.O.O.F., P.A.F.S., and G.U.O.O.F. The names of all the seven people can be found on the Honour Board, indicating that they each have served at least one term as President of the Sunshine Dispensary. The health professions and the Labour Governments of the 1940's wanted to see the involvement of Friendly Societies in health care broken. The Commonwealth Free Medicine Plan appears to have been drawing customers away from Friendly Societies Dispensaries in general. The Sunshine Dispensary placed several advertisements in the Sunshine Advocate during late 1950 urging members to remain loyal to it. By the 1980's the increase in entrepreneurial clinics and the availability of take away medicine helped to vastly diminish the involvement of Friendly Societies in health care provision. The 1936 Sunshine Advocate refers to the Sunshine and District United Friendly Societies Dispensary, with the same office bearers as the Presidents on the Honour Board but on which the 'United' is missing from the name of the Dispensary. The 1950 advertisements were placed by Sunshine U.F.S. Dispensary of 23 Sun Crescent. It is thought that all three names refer to the same business, but the writer stands to be corrected. The above is a compilation of information sourced from Sunshine Advocates published in January and July 1936, and in September, October and November 1950. It also draws on an article written by Elizabeth Willis and published online by the the Department of History (University of Melbourne), and on an article written by Mr. Bill Kelly of the Australian Friendly Societies Pharmacies Association, and also on an article by Museum Victoria Australia. Corrections to what has been written are welcome from interested readers.

Significance

The Honour Board provides a historical record of the Presidents that served 61 terms on the Board of the Sunshine and District Friendly Societies Dispensary. It also provides a reminder that when a government does not adequately look after the welfare needs of its citizens, the people can band together to find ways of helping each other. The Sunshine Dispensary no longer exists, and a more recently established Community Pharmacy which operated in Hampshire Road could not compete against the discount pharmacies that have taken over. These new pharmacies sell a wide range of profitable product lines, as well as dispensing traditional prescription medications.

Inscriptions & Markings

On the board in gold coloured lettering are the names of 'brothers' and 'sisters' who served a total of 61 terms as PRESIDENTS of the SUNSHINE AND DISTRICT FRIENDLY SOCIETIES DISPENSARY, which was established on the 1st of March 1930. Eight of the men served more than one term with BRO. I. MILLER serving four terms, and BRO. F. RICHER serving three. The three women SISTER. I. REWELL, SISTER. C. JOHNSON, and SISTER. M.S. ARMSTRONG served one term each. There is no indication of when each person served, but it is believed that the term length was around six months and that the list is in chronological order. This conclusion results from seeing that BRO. W. ROONEY is the 11th listed President, and that the Sunshine Advocate of 10 July 1936 states that he was elected as the new President.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph - Three Old Sunshine Factories

Key words

nettlefolds
spalding
phoenix fireworks
screw works
ballarat road
mcintyre road
phoenix street
garnet street
westmoreland road
suffolk road.

The image depicted in this photographic copy is believed to be from circa late 1920's to early 1930's, and shows the NETTLEFOLDS, SPALDING, and the PHOENIX FIREWORKS factories. These factories were located in North Sunshine on the north side of Ballarat Road near Albion Station. Nettlefolds and Spalding are on the corner of Ballarat Road and McIntyre Road, with Nettlefolds being on the west side of McIntyre Road and Spalding on the east. Phoenix Fireworks factory is composed of small huts, and is situated on the north side of Phoenix Street at the rear of the Spalding factory. The photograph also shows a row of residential houses on Garnet Street which is on the east side of the Phoenix factory. Ballarat Road is still an undivided road and on the south side is a plantation of trees that once stretched from near Albion Station to Anderson Road. Other roads visible are Suffolk Road and Westmoreland Road.

Historical information

These three factories clustered together and close to Albion Station provided manufacturing type of employment for several decades. All the factories have now disappeared and have been replaced by retail or service businesses. Spalding has been replaced by a Bunnings Hardware store, while the main retail outlet on the Nettlefolds site is Harvey Norman. Ironically part of the Phoenix Fireworks site is now occupied by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade, as well as other small businesses including a smash repair business, and a tyre retailer.

Significance

The photograph provides a historical record of some of the types of manufacturing industries that existed in Sunshine, before retail or service industries began to replace them. Many of the younger generation do not know that fireworks, screws, or some sports items were manufactured in Sunshine not so long ago, and where the factories existed.

Inscriptions & Markings

Nettlefolds Screw Works

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1960) - SUNSHINE TOWN HALL

Key words

sunshine town hall
r.t. pollard gardens
council building
ballroom. pollard gardens

This picture of the Sunshine Town Hall is a copy made from an unknown printed article. The building no longer exists.

Historical information

This building once contained the municipal offices and a public Town Hall for the City of Sunshine. The building was demolished and on the site the R.T. Pollard Gardens were established. The Gardens are shown in the second photograph.

Significance

Although the council built new municipal offices in Alexandra Ave, a Town Hall for public use was never rebuilt. The council considered that there were other halls available, such as the Mariana Hall or school halls, which could be hired for public or council functions.

Inscriptions & Markings

THE SUNSHINE TOWN HALL Saturday 21st May 1960

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

SPECIAL AWARD to No 1 FORGE O.F.M. - 4th LIBERTY LOAN (1943)

Key words

4th liberty loan
special award
ordnance factory maribyrnong
no 1 forge o.f.m.
oct - nov 1943
red pennant

Permanently sealed brown stained wood frame with a glass face. Enclosed behind the glossy glass is a triangular shaped pennant made of red felt material. The red colour appears to be somewhat faded. The inscriptions and markings on the pennant are in blue, gold, and white coloured inks.

Historical information

O.F.M. was the ORDNANCE FACTORY MARIBYRNONG. Up to the end of June 1943 and at a time when the wages were about £5 ($10) to £6 ($12) per week Australia had spent £1,106,000,000 (£156 per head) on the war effort. A lot of the money was spent at home in making war necessities such as armaments, munitions, boots, clothing, and in providing special training. Significant increases in numbers occurred in the personnel employed in the fighting services, and also in the work force involved in the war effort. During the financial year 1942-1943 the war cost Australia £561,743,000 (over a billion dollars), while the Income Tax raised from individuals totalled only 16.5% of this amount. To finance the war the Australian government had previously borrowed money from the public, and from institutions such as the savings banks, friendly societies, and life assurance societies, by running three successfully subscribed Liberty Loans. The institutions had contributed considerably more money to these Liberty Loans than the public, however it can be argued that the public members of these institutions had also contributed some money indirectly. The 4th Liberty Loan which opened on 5 October 1943 and closed on 9 November 1943 was intended to raise £125,000,000, with the government aiming for 750,000 subscribers. Bonds costing £10 each could be bought on a time payment scheme. A total of £126,408,000 was raised at two different interest rates and maturity dates, however the number of subscribers had only reached 567,533. Some newspaper reports of the time indicate that the low number of subscribers was a partial failure of the loan, because spare money in the community could lead to inflation at a time when goods were in short supply. The government set target quotas on how much money should ideally be raised in a particular district, and how many subscribers should ideally take part. Often these quotas proved to be excessive. The Special Red Pennant Award as given to the No 1 FORGE O.F.M. was normally for achieving the highest per capita contribution within each particular group. What is unknown at this stage is what other entities were in the same group, or how large the group was. There were other variations of the awards such as those given to country districts, where a star was placed on the left hand corner of the pennant if the money quota was reached, while two or three stars indicated that the quota was doubled or tripled. A bar was also included on the pennant if the quota of subscribers was achieved, while two bars indicated double the quota of subscribers. The above information was sourced from Trove newspaper articles at: (1) http://nla.gov.au.nla.news-article70439716, (2) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article141292541, (3) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11797265, (4) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11788072, and from (5) http://static.awm.gov.au/images/collection/pdf/RCDIG1070158--1-.PDF (see page 580).

Significance

This framed award has significance in that it serves as a historic reminder that the No 1 Forge O.F.M. and the Ordnance Factory Maribyrnong once existed within the Shire of Braybrook, and later the City of Sunshine, and that it was involved in the manufacture of ordnance for World War 2. It also serves as a historic reminder that it costs a huge amount of money for a country to be involved in a major war, and that a big contribution is required from the public to raise money and to produce goods for the war effort.

Inscriptions & Markings

The AUSTRALIAN COAT OF ARMS diagram plus the following writing: SPECIAL AWARD / 4th LIBERTY LOAN / Oct.-Nov. 1943 / No 1 FORGE O.F.M.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Honour Board - SPALDING 25 Years Service Roll

Key words

honour board
spalding
t. w. sherrin pty ltd
25 years service roll

Brown stained wooden board with wave shaped top which is about 14 cm less wide than the base. The names of employees who have provided 25 years of loyal service are recorded on the board in gold coloured lettering.

Historical information

The Spalding factory was located at the intersection of Ballarat Rd and McIntyre Rd in Sunshine (North East corner). The factory made sporting goods, and in 1972 Spalding acquired T. W. Sherrin Pty Ltd which was a major manufacturer of footballs used in Australian Rules football games. In the early 1990's the factory in Sunshine was demolished and replaced by the first Bunnings Hardware store to be erected in Victoria. In July 2003 Spalding was bought out by the Russell Corporation.

Significance

The board is a historical record of the loyal employees who provided at least 25 years of service to Spalding or to T. W. Sherrin Pty Ltd.

Inscriptions & Markings

The board contains the names of 50 workers who had reached the 25 year service milestone at SPALDING, and also the names of 4 employees who did the same at T. W. SHERRIN Pty Ltd. The first people reached this milestone in 1950 and the last person is recorded as reaching this in 1981.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Brownies Uniform - 3rd North Sunshine

Key words

brownies uniform
3rd north sunshine
1983 april action
furlong road
venture
footpath
brownies beret
brownies dress

Two clothing items: (a) Beret - Brown woollen beret with a sewn on Brownies cloth badge. (b) Dress - Brown sleeveless cotton dress with 2 metal badges attached and 6 sewn on cloth badges.

Historical information

Prior to 1996 young girls (7 - 11years) in the Girl Guide Association were known as Brownies. About circa 1983 this beret and dress were worn by a girl named Rebecca who was a member of the 3rd North Sunshine Pack - West Metro region. The 3rd North Sunshine Brownies were located in Furlong Road, North Sunshine 3020 (Melway 26 G6).

Significance

This brown uniform is a historic reminder that at one stage Brownies existed as part of the Girl Guide Association.

Inscriptions & Markings

3rd Nth Sunshine Pack - West Metro, 19 April Action 83, Venture, Footpath

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Base Plate - New H.V.McKAY FOOTBRIDGE

Key words

base plate
stainless steel plate
crossbar gates
regional rail link
hv mckay footbridge
h.v.mckay footbridge
sunshine

Stainless steel oval shaped plate with four holes for mounting to mesh sides of the walkway on the bridge. The plate has engraved lettering and lines intended to replicate a Sunshine Crossbar gate.

Historical information

The steel mesh and crossbar sides of the new H.V.McKay footbridge are designed to replicate the appearance of the old crossbar gates which were at the old H.V.McKay works. The new bridge contains 111 of these plates attached to the centre of all crossbar sections which enclose both sides of the walkway of the bridge.

Significance

The plate is a donated spare which was left over from the original manufactured plates that were attached to the new H.V.McKay footbridge. The plate is in our possession for safe keeping and for future reference.

Inscriptions & Markings

H.V.McKAY SUNSHINE (The small c is underlined which can't be replicated on this data base)

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

School Uniform - SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL

Key words

sunshine high school
uniform
frock
tunic
jumper
girls school uniform
maroon uniform

THREE ITEMS of girls uniform from the no longer existing SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL are individually displayed here. The items being: (1) Beige with maroon print cotton summer frock. (2) Maroon polyester/wool winter tunic. (3) Maroon V-necked wool/nylon jumper with light blue and gold coloured stripes around the cuffs and the neck.

Historical information

Sunshine High School existed in its own right from 1955 to 1991. During the early years the wearing of 'correct' uniforms was strictly enforced. Girls had to wear hats and boys had to wear caps as part of the uniform when outside the school grounds, or else they risked detention if caught without head wear by a Prefect. The boys therefore always had a rolled up cap in the back pocket to quickly slip on whenever there was danger of being nabbed by a Prefect. The girls had a winter uniform, which included thick beige stockings and a maroon blazer, and a summer frock in which they could be relatively cool during hot days. The boys had to wear their double breasted grey suits all year, with a jumper under the jacket in cold weather. The boys were supposedly being groomed as gentlemen, and so even during hot conditions were not allowed to remove their suit jackets in the class room. On about two very hot afternoons a year, the headmaster removed his jacket and so allowed the boys to do likewise. With single breasted suits becoming fashionable, it became difficult to find double breasted grey suits in the wide range of sizes required by students. In about late 1960 or early 1961 the uniform rules for boys were changed to enable them to wear single breasted grey suits. They still however were not allowed to remove their jackets in class on hot days. Over the years the rules for the wearing of uniforms were relaxed and in the late 1970's students were wearing either uniforms, or parts of uniforms, or their normal clothing. The wearing of uniforms at Sunshine High School eventually died out well before the School vacated the buildings on Ballarat Road, and amalgamated with other local secondary schools to form the Sunshine College.

Significance

The three items of clothing, although not a complete uniform set, serve as a reminder of the summer and winter uniforms, as well as the colours, that were worn by the girls at Sunshine High School during the early years. The jumper is identical in appearance to that worn by the boys and so it is not difficult to imagine how a male Sunshine High School student would look like with a grey suit and that type of jumper.

Inscriptions & Markings

Ecole brand winter tunic. Buxwear brand summer frock of Style S289. M.G.Magree brand jumper.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Book - Seek Light - SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL 1955-1991

Key words

seek light, sunshine high school, 1991 reunion, 1955, 1954, list of students, list of staff

Front cover has a maroon coloured background with a pair of diagrammatic light blue hands reaching towards an orange and yellow source of light. The words SEEK LIGHT and SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL 1955-1991 are also on the front cover. The rear cover is plain white coloured. The book contains 68 pages plus the covers.

Historical information

In December 1954 the Parents Association was formed and met at the Sunshine State School. In February 1955 classes commenced with First and Second Form students accommodated in several local Halls. In May 1955 the students transferred to the new building. Over the years many children with overseas background attended the school. The school ceased to exist in its own right in 1991, and amalgamated with five other local secondary schools to form the multi campus Sunshine College in 1992. The former Sunshine High School buildings on Ballarat Road are now part of the Sunshine Campus of Victoria University. The book contains photographs and written articles from the school years as well as photographs of those attending the 1991 reunion. The history of the school is covered in this book under the headings: (1) Beginnings, (2) The Sixties, (3) The Seventies, (4) The Final Years, and (5) Vale. The major historical feature of this book is however the 17 pages of Staff and Student names, and the years they were at the school.

Significance

This book is of historic and research significance. As well as providing some of the history of the school, the book has a comprehensive list of the staff and students that were at the school. Researchers will be able to determine the numbers of students commencing each year, the ethnic backgrounds of staff and students, and especially in the early years determine the spelling of the Surnames and Christian names of many students with overseas backgrounds. In the 1950's some Primary School teachers had the habit of changing students European Christian names to the English versions, and so the new names may have carried on to High School enrolment. For example some students named Ryszard were enrolled as Richard. Many students however were enrolled with correct ethnic spelling of their names. Although the list of students names appears to be comprehensive until about 1985, it appears to fail after that. It is known that some students names are missing in the final years.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inside the front cover is an acknowledgement by John Scott to the work of the 1991 Reunion Committee for the production of the book, with eight people and their roles specifically named. The secondary title of the book as written inside on page 1 appears to be "Sunshine High Reflections 1954 - 91"

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1982) - Part Sunshine Business Area - Sunshine Centre Plaza Stage 1

Key words

aerial view
1982
sunshine centre plaza
sunshine business area
massey ferguson buildings
old sunshine pool. waltons

Large cardboard mounted sepia photograph with thin white plastic edging. Grey painted outline shows the site in 1982 on which the SUNSHINE CENTRE PLAZA was to be built, as well the buildings that then existed in part of the business area of Sunshine.

Historical information

The Sunshine business area has undergone major change from industrial manufacturing to retail. This aerial photograph shows the industrial areas that existed on both sides of Hampshire Road in 1982, and which have since been replaced by two shopping centres and the library building. The photograph also shows the old swimming pool, and retail outlets that no longer exist such as Waltons, Clark Rubber, Fosseys and the original Safeway store. It also shows a vacant land where the current Centrelink office now exists. The photograph was originally used as a promotion for the Sunshine Centre Plaza retail complex.

Significance

This photograph is a historical record of what part of Sunshine looked like 3 decades ago.

Inscriptions & Markings

Sunshine Centre Plaza Stage 1

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Sports Uniform (Netball) - TOTTENHAM NORTH PRIMARY SCHOOL

Key words

sports uniform
netball skirt
netball t-shirt
tottenham north primary school
south road braybrook
tottenham primary school
maidstone primary school
tottenham crossing school
dinjerra primary school
tottenham north state school
state school 4703

Two items of Netball Uniform. (a) Skirt - Maroon coloured wrap around sports skirt. (b) T-shirt - Yellow, Size 14 'Ryder' brand children's T-shirt, with maroon coloured triangular shaped School Logo printed on the front.

Historical information

This Netball uniform from circa 1986 was worn by a girl named Rebecca when she attended the Tottenham North Primary School. Tottenham North Primary School was opened on 29 May 1953 and was built on a South Road, Braybrook site purchased in 1929. After a fire in February 1961 the pupils were sent to the Powell and Curtin Street schools in Yarraville, and to the Maidstone and Sunshine East schools. The new building was officially opened on 22 August 1962 by A. McDonell, Director of Education, and it had sixteen classrooms, an art/craft room, and an assembly hall. Sporting achievements by the pupils included the 1963 football premiership and the 1968 cricket premiership. Over the years it has been called Tottenham Primary, Tottenham Crossing Primary, and Maidstone Primary. The different names resulted because of mergers with other local primary schools as the number of primary aged children in the Braybrook and Tottenham area changed. The school on South Road is now named Dinjerra Primary School. Dinjerra supposedly means 'out west' in the dialect of the original indigenous people of the area. Dinjerra Primary School is now the only neighbourhood government primary school in Braybrook Tottenham. The above information was sourced and compiled from: 1. 'Vision and Realisation - A Centenary History of State Education in Victoria - Volume 3', Education Department of Victoria 1973. 2. The Dinjerra Principal's website article at: http://www.dinjerra.vic.edu.au/91/Message-from-the-Principal.

Significance

The netball uniform serves as a historic reminder that a school named Tottenham North Primary School once existed. The uniform also provides us with information of the colours used on these types of sports uniforms, and of the design of the School Logo.

Inscriptions & Markings

TNPS. TOTTENHAM NORTH P.S. 4703 - (Printed inside triangle)

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Autobiography - Life and times of Arthur J. Templeton

Key words

arthur j. templeton
birth 1923
sunshine harvester co
h. s. taylor
waterloo ontario canada
apprenticeship
family
work in tasmania
president chamber of manufactures
leisure.

Typescript in a maroon display book with a maroon binding. Contains autobiography of Arthur J. Templeton.

Historical information

Autobiography as told by Templeton, Arthur John. Typed and edited by David Templeton (Arthur's brother) from November 1991-July 1992.

Inscriptions & Markings

LIFE & TIMES OF ARTHUR J. TEMPLETON

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Seed & Fertilizer Drill Panel

Key words

agricultural machinery, sun, "sun" seed & fertilizer drill, h.v. mckay pty. ltd., d879, 1921, 1930, sunshine

Brown rusty cast iron end panel from a Seed & Fertilizer Drill

Historical information

The item is an end panel from the box section of a "SUN' Seed & Fertilizer Drill. It was manufactured by H.V. McKay Pty. Ltd. at their agricultural machinery manufacturing plant in Sunshine Victoria. The date of manufacture is estimated to be somewhere between 1921 and 1930 because of the imprint H.V. McKay Pty. Ltd. According to the Museum Metadata Exchange (http://museumex.org/oai/mv/2749) the Sunshine Harvester Works was reformed as H.V. McKay Pty. Ltd. in 1921 and in 1930 it became H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty. Ltd after a merger with the Canadian farm machinery manufacturer Massey Harris. The two events in 1921 and in 1930 are also confirmed by Churchward, M. (2006) at (http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/articles/2010).

Significance

This early 20th century item is a relic of the agricultural machinery manufacturing past of Sunshine Victoria. The company started by H. V. McKay no longer exists and neither do the subsequent manufacturing companies H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty. Ltd., and the later Massey Ferguson (Aust.) Limited. Manufacturing has disappeared from this site being replaced by a shopping centre and other retail outlets, high rise apartments, law courts, police station, Vic Roads, and soon will house the new Brimbank Council offices and library.

Inscriptions & Markings

"SUN" / SEED & FERTILIZER DRILL / H.V. McKAY PTY. LTD / MAKERS / SUNSHINE / D879

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Map (1967) - CITY OF SUNSHINE, June 1967

Key words

city of sunshine
june 1967
map
city
parish
boundaries
brimbank

Whitish paper map with black printing that is laminated in clear plastic film, and has a wood slat attached to the top edge. The June 1967 map is of the previous CITY OF SUNSHINE showing City and Parish boundaries, streets, railways, creeks, river etc.

Historical information

The City of Sunshine no longer exists. Part of the eastern area has been annexed by the City of Maribyrnong, and the rest of the old City of Sunshine has been amalgamated with the City of Keilor to form the larger City of Brimbank.

Significance

This 1967 map is a historical record of the City of Sunshine as it existed 27 years before the amalgamation of Councils, and the creation of the City of Brimbank in 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Purple ink stamps at top left hand and right hand areas showing address and contact details of 'Sunshine Industrial Promotion Centre.'

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Trench Art - BULLET SPOON

Key words

trench art, bullet spoon, .303 bullet, stewart noble, war souvenier, chrome teaspoon

Chrome plated teaspoon with a discharged .303 bullet for the handle.

Historical information

This piece of functional Trench Art was made by Stewart Noble during World War 2 (circa 1940) while serving on a Mine Sweeper among the Pacific Islands. It is believed that the bullet spoon was chrome plated after the war, while he worked at the Government Aircraft Factory. Trench art is described as any decorative item made by soldiers, prisoners of war, or civilians where the manufacture is directly linked to a war. The making of trench art was a popular past time during leisure hours at the front, where skilled military personnel created the items. Common examples of trench art are decorated shell and bullet casings, and items carved from wood and bone. Trench art has been in existence since the Napoleonic wars however it was most common during World War 1, and to a lesser extent during World War 2.

Significance

This bullet spoon has historic significance because it is an example of the type of functional or artistic small items, that were made from war scrap during spare time by soldiers or other personnel associated with a war. This particular item indicates that a reasonably high degree of skill was required to make the bullet spoon.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Factory Rules (1926) - H. V. McKAY Pty. Ltd., Sunshine Harvester Works, May 1926.

Key words

factory rules
h. v. mckay
sunshine harvester works
mckay
may 1926

Light tan colored cardboard document folded into four sections. Contains Factory Rules for employees of the H. V. McKay Sunshine Harvester Works in Sunshine Victoria - May 1926.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1930) - LEATHERCLOTH PTY LTD - Original Employees

Key words

leathercloth
ici fabrics
employees
1930
industries

Photograph of 122 original employees of LEATHERCLOTH PTY LTD plus key list of names of the employees. The key list is situated above the wide panoramic photograph, and both are enclosed within a glass faced black stained wooden frame.

Historical information

Photograph of employees and possibly others at opening of I.C.I. FABRICS (LEATHERCLOTH) P/L, Deer Park Victoria in 1930.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photograph (1934) - SPALDING First Christmas Treat - 19 December 1934

Key words

spalding
employees
christmas treat
1934
industries

Photograph enclosed in a glass faced brown stained wooden frame, showing employees of SPALDING and their children at the company's First Christmas Treat on 19 December 1934.

Historical information

This factory was situated on the corner of Ballarat and McIntyre Rds in Sunshine Victoria and manufactured sporting goods. The factory ceased to exist during the early 1990's and has been replaced by the first Bunnings Hardware Store in Victoria.

Significance

Photograph shows that Spalding was a company that provided a Christmas Treat for its employees and their children.

Inscriptions & Markings

SPALDING FIRST CHRISTMAS TREAT ---19 DECEMBER 1934---

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Map (1939) - RAILWAYS OF VICTORIA, Including Passenger Mileage, 4 April 1939

Key words

victoria
railway map
1939
rail
passenger mileage

Map showing the RAILWAY LINES of VICTORIA plus PASSENGER MILEAGES as of 4.4.1939. The white map with black printing is enclosed within a glass faced brown stained wooden frame.

Significance

Historical record of the railway line system in the state of Victoria in 1939. Many of the railway lines no longer exist.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Photographs (1928) - 'QUARTER MILE' BRIDGE Construction

Five B&W yellowing photos showing stages of construction of the Maribyrnong River Viaduct known as the Trestle Bridge but mainly known locally as the QUARTER MILE BRIDGE. It is a railway only bridge which runs over the Maribyrnong River between Sunshine North and Keilor East. A sixth image, which is not part of this set of photos, is included to show what the completed bridge looks like.

Historical information

One man lost his life during the building of this bridge. The bridge was constructed by the Victorian Railways between 1927 to 1929 to carry a new double track goods line. This enabled trains from all parts of the state except Gippsland to have direct access to the Tottenham marshalling and sorting yards. These yards were constructed in the 1920's to relieve congestion in the Melbourne Yard near Spencer Street station. The congestion was being caused by the construction of suburban passenger platforms associated with the electrification of the suburban railway network. Initially the bridge was for goods trains but during the Second World War it was also used by troop trains. When the standard gauge line was built in 1962 all trains to Albury and Sydney have used this route, thus avoiding travelling through Essendon and Pascoe Vale on the suburban tracks. The standard gauge track across the bridge took the place of one of the broad gauge tracks so broad gauge trains crossing the bridge in either direction have to now use the same track. The bridge is 1,257 feet (383.13 metres) long and 180 feet (54.86 metres) above the water level. It is just 63 feet (19.2 metres) short of a quarter mile in length between abutments. There is a similar bridge on the same railway line crossing the Moonee Ponds Creek between Gowenbrae and Glenroy, however it is smaller at 1060 feet (323.08 metres) length and 115 feet (35.05) height.

Significance

The bridge is now Victorian Heritage Registered under Number: H1197, and Heritage Overlay Numbers HO5, and HO107. On the Heritage Register it is named RAIL BRIDGE (ALBION VIADUCT). According to the Heritage Report the bridge is scientifically and architecturally important because of its large size, and because of the cost effective design features such as two girders per span (one for each track), the K bracing in the towers, and the broad flange beams as columns. When it was being built it was the largest trestle bridge in Australia, and until the Sydney Harbour bridge was constructed it was the highest railway bridge.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Registration Plate - SUNSHINE & DISTRICT COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Key words

brass plate
registered office
sunshine district community hospital
king edward avenue

Tarnished brass plate with indented or carved lettering finished in black paint. The black paint is showing signs of deterioration. The plate has six holes for attaching it to a wall, and two of the corners have been bent probably during the removal of the plate. There is also a small amount of paint contamination on the edges.

Historical information

This brass registration plate was once attached to the former Sunshine District Community Hospital in King Edward Avenue, Albion, 3020. The hospital, under several names, served the local community since the 1920's. It became the Sunshine District Community Hospital in 1946 and was closed in 1989. The building was demolished and replaced by residential units. The plate was preserved by Carol Duvall a long serving nurse, who about 20 years later donated it to the Sunshine and District Historical Society.

Significance

This brass plate is a rare physical relic of what was once the main hospital serving the Sunshine area, and in which many local babies were born.

Inscriptions & Markings

REGISTERED OFFICE / SUNSHINE DISTRICT COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

Air Raid Precautions (ARP) badges

Key words

arp. arp badge, air raid precautions, air raid precautions warden, warden, badges

Pressed metal round badges with pins. Main feature of badges is the large whitish lettering ARP on a red background. A black outlined crown and the word VICTORIA in red on whitish background is also on the badges. At the bottom of the badges in black are the letters DC plus the numbers of the badges.

Historical information

Mr Webb King was an Air Raid Warden during World War 2. These badges were found when his workshop was being cleared out, and so were donated to our society. The badges in our possession do not have the word WARDEN printed on them, like the image of the badge shown on the Darebin Heritage 'Air Raid Protection Services (ARP)' publication, or the image of a badge offered for sale on ebay. At this stage we are uncertain of why this is so. If anybody knows the answer then please leave a message on this site. During World War 2 Australian municipalities were expected to take precautions against air raids, with the Government campaigning to recruit men over 45 to be volunteer Air Raid Wardens. It was also common for women to become wardens. Wardens carried gas masks, helmets, and rattles or whistles. The wardens received 7 to 8 one hour sessions of training, and their chief duty was to advise people of precautions to take, and to ensure those precautions were taken. Air Raid Precautions included air raid drills, shelters (usually trenches), first aid, fire fighting, rescue of 'gassed' persons, evacuation drills, demolition and repair squads, monitoring of blackouts. Melbourne was deemed vulnerable to aerial attack because of its centralised port and industrial facilities and so Anti-aircraft guns were installed in Maribyrnong. By early 1942 more than 60,000 people voluntarily carried out Air Raid Precautions duties according to the Autobiography of Robert V. J. Padula OAM. As the threat diminished during 1943 and 1944 the need for air raid precautions was slowly reduced, and some shelters (trenches) were filled. The two photos showing Air Raid Wardens are out of copyright and have been sourced from the 'Argus Newspaper Collection of Photographs, State Library of Victoria.' The image showing one warden on Swanston Street Melbourne has been cropped to remove extras not connected with the photo. Other sources of information for this report are: (1) http://bpadula.tripod.com/autobiography/id100.html, (2) https://www.awm.gov.au/exhibitions/underattack/mobilise/precautions.asp, (3) http://heritage.darebinlibraries.vic.gov.au/article/57.

Significance

The ARP badges are a historic reminder of the precautions that were taken in Victoria during the early years of World War 2. The precautions were an effort to minimise the harmful effects of a theoretical air raid. The war started to turn and so an air raid never came, however many people received valuable training in what precautions needed to be taken.

Inscriptions & Markings

Serial Numbers of the badges are: DC 361, DC 362, DC 364, DC 368, DC 370, DC 374, DC 375, DC 376, DC 377, DC 379, DC 388, DC 389.

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,

School Uniform - SUNSHINE WEST HIGH SCHOOL

Key words

sunshine west high school, girls school uniform, carland, blazer, frock, school jumper, swhs, courage and wisdom, junior campus, west campus, sunshine college, 1960, 1991

Four items of girls school uniform plus 3 metal badges: (1) Dark blue blazer with school insignia on the left breast pocket. (2) Blue and white striped frock. (3) Light grey v-necked jumper with dark blue, light blue, and pink stripes around the neck and the cuffs. (4) Dark blue tie with light blue and pink diagonal stripes. The 3 badges are School Captain, House Captain, and Form Captain.

Historical information

Sunshine West High School started in 1960 with classes held in the old church and the church hall of St Mark's Anglican Church, Sunshine, Victoria, 3020. The school transferred to Lachlan Road, West Sunshine when the new building was completed. In 1961 the proportion of students from European background was almost 52% and those of British-Australian almost 48%. By 1965 the number of students totalled 699, with 28 of them being the first to do the Form 6 (Year 12) Matriculation exam. By 1969 the number of students had increased to the point that some classes were held in shelter sheds. In 1992 the multi campus Sunshine College was formed through the amalgamation and restructure of six schools: Sunshine West High School, Sunshine Technical School, Ardeer High School, North Sunshine Technical School, Sunshine High School, and Tottenham Technical School. The last two school sites were closed and are now occupied by Victoria University and the Tottenham English Language Centre respectively. Sunshine West High School became the junior West Campus of Sunshine College. The style of school uniform displayed here is not used by the Sunshine College. The girls had two sets of uniforms, one for the summer and one for the winter. The frock and blazer (as displayed) were for the summer but a grey straw hat, grey socks, and black shoes were also part of the compulsory uniform. The displayed grey v-necked jumper could be worn in both summer and winter. The winter outfit consisted of a blue shirt, a tie (as displayed), a grey box pleated tunic, blazer, grey stockings, black shoes, a blue felt hat and grey gloves. Of particular interest is that the boys did not have to wear the feminine looking style of grey jumper with the pink and blue stripes. They wore a dark blue jumper. There was a 'uniform inspection' carried out after the Monday morning assembly and the Prefects had the task of policing students to make sure that they wore the full complement of items, both to and from school. The 3 badges indicate that the female student was a member of the School Council, which had replaced the Prefects around 1969 or 1970, and she was also Captain of one of the 4 Sports Houses and of her Form. Sources of information: (1) http://www.sunshine.vic.edu.au/history.htm (accessed 4/11/2015). (2) Book - 'Harvester City' by Olwen Ford (page 412). (3) Discussions with two former students.

Significance

Sunshine West High School played a significant part in the secondary education of local children, however the school had a relatively short life span in its own right during the latter part of the twentieth century. The items of girls school uniform, the school insignia, and the 3 metal badges serve as a historical reminder of the previous existence of the school, and of the colours and designs of these items.

Inscriptions & Markings

Insignia on blazer - SWHS / COURAGE AND WISDOM

Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated,