Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Tarnagulla History Archive Tarnagulla, Victoria

The Tarnagulla History Archive is a repository for all things related to the local history of Tarnagulla and its surrounding district, including the localities of Newbridge, Llanelly, Arnold, Laanecoorie. Waanyarra, and Murphy's Creek.

The Archive holds photographs, records and artefacts and was established with funds by a PROV Local History Grant. The Archive is situated within the historic Victoria Hotel and Theatre complex, which functions as Tarnagulla's public hall. The complex, including the Archive, is managed by the Tarnagulla Public Hall Committee and other community volunteers.

Tarnagulla and district are situated in Dja Dja Wurrung country.

To order image copies or make research enquiries, please use the Contact link below.

Contact Information

location
Tarnagulla Public Hall Commercial Road Tarnagulla Victoria 3551

Opening Hours

OUR CURRENT OPENING HOURS: The Archive is currently not opening for its usual monthly Open Days, due to the pandemic. However in SOME situations, if compliant with the government restrictions at the time, we can open by appointment (contact [email protected]). OUR USUAL OPENING HOURS: The Archive is open to the public on the second Sunday of every month. Outside of these times we can open by appointment, if given some notice (contact [email protected]).

Entry Fee

None

Location

Tarnagulla Public Hall, Commercial Rd Tarnagulla Victoria

Photographs, records, artefacts and research resources relating to the history of Tarnagulla and surrounds.

Julie Beauchamp 25 August 2019 2:30 PM

When might the Tarnagulla History Archive be open to visitors and do you know if there is a 'Back to Tarnagulla' event this year ? (2019)

Tarnagulla History Archive - Manager 25 August 2019 5:17 PM

Hi Julie, thanks for getting in touch. At the moment, the Archive is only open by appointment. Sometime later this year (probably from November) we will begin opening one Sunday per month. I'm not aware of a Back To Tarnagulla event happening this year. If you would like to come and visit the Archive I am happy to make an appointment for you. Please get in touch via email if thats okay - [email protected] and we can go from there. Best wishes, The Tarnagulla History Archive

Victorian Collections is no longer accepting public comments

Contact the collector

1377 items

1377 items

Altar

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Wooden altar originally made for and used in the Tarnagulla Church of England.

Historical information

Given by Church to the donor in around 1995. Church is now a private residence.

Photograph: Demolition of structure adjoining 98 Commercial Road, near Tarnagulla.

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Historical information

David Gordon Collection.

News clipping: Party Shocked By Death Of Mr J.B. Reid - Party Shocked By Death Of Mr J.B. Reid

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

A 2-page excerpt from The Countryman newspaper, of June 13th, 1957 collected for the article titled 'Party Shocked By Death Of Mr J.B. Reid'. Mentions Allan Brownbill, Jas. Fotheringham, Jas. Allan, Dr. John Lewis and Donald Clark.

Historical information

J.B. Reid was born in Scotland and ran a general store in Tarnagulla for some time until it burned down in the early 1950s. Was member and President of Shire of Bet Bet and on Dunolly Hospital Committee for many years. He later entered state politics and was Treasurer of the Victorian Country Party. Don Clark Collection

Research file: Transcriptions of historic news content relating to Wilson's Reef

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Historical information

David Gordon Collection. File compiled by David Gordon.

Draft for telegram

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

To Mr. Simpson, Simpsons Hotel, Dunolly, from Charles Taylor, ___ Engineer

Historical information

David Gordon Collection.

Photograph: Shopfront with verandah, 81 Commercial Rd, Tarnagulla

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Historical information

David Gordon Collection.

Photograph of the Soldiers' Memorial, Tarnagulla - Soldiers' Memorial, Tarnagulla

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Monochrome photograph of the Soldiers Memorial monument in Tarnagulla. Unknown date. Probably a copy of a low-resolution news photograph.

Historical information

Murray Comrie Collection. The Memorial was first unveiled at a Thanksgiving Service in 1918. It now commemorates Tarnagulla residents who served in WWI and WWII. This stone monument was created and erected by Mr. Barber of Dunolly in October 1919. It was unveiled by Brigadier General Brand C.B. C.M.G. D.S.O. at 2:30pm on Saturday November 8th, 1919. The Welcome Home Committee, formed 2nd July 1917, was largely responsible for commissioning the monument. Foundation members were Mrs. B. Patterson, Mrs J. Bock and the Misses P. Lemin, Violet Radnell, D. Dyer and Doris and Phoebe Bock. The Committee also arranged 'Welcome Home' functions for each local soldier returning home after service in the First World War. Tarnagulla had a very large number of enlistments for its population.

Photograph of double-fronted weatherboard shopfront, Tarnagulla

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Monochrome photograph depicting a white double-fronted weatherboard shopfront, with six-post verandah, formerly located at 107 Commercial Road in Tarnagulla. Building has since been demolished.

Historical information

Murray Comrie Collection. Building is on Commercial Road and in 2019 is a private residence. History to be confirmed.

Receipt: A. C. & J. Hamilton, Newbridge

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Historical information

David Gordon Collection.

Registration of Birth form

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Registration of Birth form for: Child's name: William Thomas Brainard Field Date of Birth: 19th January, 1872 Place of birth: Llanarie (misspelling of Laanecoorie) Father: William Richard Field Mother: Lucy Lucomme (?) Field (nee Stone)

Historical information

A large lot of papers, including this and many other birth and death registration forms, were apparently found in the ceiling cavity of the Sandy Creek/Tarnagulla Post and Telegraph Office in the later 20th Century, during building works. Donald Clark Collection.

Photograph of blacksmith's shop, Tarnagulla - Blacksmith's shop, Tarnagulla

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Monochrome photograph depicting a large run-down weatherboard building at the north end of Commercial Road, Tarnagulla. Written in a sign on right side of building: 'Blacksmiths'.

Historical information

Murray Comrie Collection. This photograph shows the blacksmiths premises on the north end of Commercial Road, Tarnagulla. Information collated by Murray Comrie: This building was demolished in the 1970s. The first use of the site was as the George Hotel licensed to an A.B. Clay in 1858, then Waller and Robinson. Charles Waller operated his Excelsior Line of coaches from the George Hotel stables. John Ousley took over the stables for use as a blacksmith's shop. He sold out to Stafford & Sons in 1908. Staffords found the existing premises at the George Hotel too small and built this building. Frank McNamee later took over the premises and operated it for many years. This photograph is a reasonable copy created from an older original. Copy probably made by Murray Comrie in the 1970s.

News clipping: Weekend Preserves Town's Past - Weekend Preserves Town's Past

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

A page from The Loddon Times newspaper with article titled 'Weekend Preserves Town's Past'. Date October 13, 2015.

Historical information

David Gordon Collection.

Registration of Death form

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Registration of Death form. Name of deceased: section missing (probably infant Francis David, known from birth form THA-2019.0811) Father of deceased: Benjamin David Mother of deceased: Rosena Henriette (?) D___ Cooper Deceased born at: Llanelly Date of burial: 3 September, 1872 Place of burial: Tarnagulla

Historical information

A large lot of papers, including this and other birth, death and burial records, were apparently found in the ceiling cavity of the Sandy Creek/Tarnagulla Post and Telegraph Office in the later 20th Century, during building works. Donald Clark Collection.

Photocopy of prospectus: Yorkshire Gold Mine Tarnagulla.

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Housed in plastic display folder

Historical information

David Gordon Collection. Compiled by David Gordon.

Registration of Birth form

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Registration of Birth form for: Child's name: Lucrece Lucy Pallot Date of Birth: 23rd Dec1871 Place of birth: Iron Bark Father: Peter Pallot Mother: Sophia (nee Galean)

Historical information

A large lot of papers, including this and many other birth and death registration forms, were apparently found in the ceiling cavity of the Sandy Creek/Tarnagulla Post and Telegraph Office in the later 20th Century, during building works. Donald Clark Collection.

Photograph of former bank building being used as general store, Tarnagulla - Former bank building being used as general store, Tarnagulla

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Monochrome photograph depicting a section of Commercial Road, Tarnagulla at the intersection with Poverty Street, including two stores - one a bakery/milk-bar and the other a general store operating in the former Bank building.

Historical information

Murray Comrie Collection. This image depicts stores in the main street of Tarnagulla, including the two-storey bank building being used as a licensed general store. The bank building was used first by the Colonial Bank of Australasia (from 1866 to 1888) and then by the Union Bank (from 1888 to 1942). The two-storey bank building was built in 1866 by the Colonial Bank of Australasia. Before this, the site had been occupied by Foo's shop. Whilst it was being built, the Colonial Bank operated from Company's Hotel (later known as Burstall Hall and the Council Chambers). The new double-storey building was used by the Colonial Bank from 1866 until 21st February, 1888. The premises were sold to the Union Bank for £2500. The Union Bank moved in and commenced operations on 6th June 1888, continuing until 1942. The building was later used as a general store until the 1990s. It is a now private residence. Probably taken by Murray Comrie in the late 1960s.

Photocopy: Attendance list for Tarnagulla Reunion - Attendance list for Tarnagulla Reunion

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Photocopy of an attendance list for 1981 Tarnagulla Reunion

Historical information

Murray Comrie Collection.

Registration of Birth form

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Registration of Birth form for: Child's name: Margaret Ann Yates Date of Birth: 24th February, 1872 Place of birth: Tarnagulla Father: James Yates Mother: Dinah Ann Yates (nee Woods)

Historical information

A large lot of papers, including this and many other birth and death registration forms, were apparently found in the ceiling cavity of the Sandy Creek/Tarnagulla Post and Telegraph Office in the later 20th Century, during building works. Donald Clark Collection.

Business docket: Reid's Exchange Stores

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

A paper business docket from Reid's Exchange Store, Tarnagulla.

Historical information

Donald Clark Collection.

Photograph: View down Commercial Rd, Tarnagulla during a public event

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Historical information

David Gordon Collection.

Special notices, C.W.A.

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

A series of three special notices issued by the C.W.A to branches about making of items to support the war effort in World War Two. The first two relate to making of camouflage nets, the third relates to knitting socks for soldiers. Original, not copy.

Historical information

Donald Clark Collection.

Telegram

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Telegram sent from Sandy Creek / Tarnagulla Telegraph & Post Office. From Willie / Nellie Coulter to H.A. Henty Esq, James Henty c/o Melbourne. Message reads 'Cannot move. _____. Push to off in town. but not quite'.

Historical information

A large lot of papers, including this and other telegrams, were apparently found in the ceiling cavity of the Sandy Creek/Tarnagulla Post and Telegraph Office in the later 20th Century, during building works. Donald Clark Collection.

Postcard: the Mechanics Institute, Newbridge

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Historical information

David Gordon Collection.

Photograph of W. Grey's Home, Ironbark Gully, Tarnagulla - W. Grey's Home, Ironbark Gully, Tarnagulla

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Monochrome photograph depicting a house located in Ironbark Gully, near Tarnagulla.

Historical information

Murray Comrie Collection.

Photograph: Men with horse and wooden barrows

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Historical information

David Gordon Collection.

Inscriptions & Markings

Stamp on reverse: 'Bock Print'

Registration of Death form

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Registration of Death form Name of deceased: Charles Wesley Williams Age: 7 months Cause of Death: none stated Duration of illness: six weeks Date of Death: 15th June 1872 Place of Death: Tarnagulla Place of burial: Tarnagulla Cemetery Father's name: Henry Williams (miner) Mother's name: Margaret Williams (nee McCay) Deceased place of birth: Tarnagulla

Historical information

A large lot of papers, including this and many other birth and death registration forms, were apparently found in the ceiling cavity of the Sandy Creek/Tarnagulla Post and Telegraph Office in the later 20th Century, during building works. Donald Clark Collection.

Photograph of Tarnagulla Railway Station - Tarnagulla Railway Station

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Monochrome photograph depicting Tarnagulla Railway Station. This is a reasonable copy of an older original. Copy probably made in the 1960s.

Historical information

Murray Comrie Collection. Tarnagulla Railway Station has since been demolished/removed.

Deputy Registrar's Certificate For Undertaker

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Transcript of document (partly printed, partly handwritten): Deputy Registrar's Certificate For Undertaker SCHEDULE [E.] I, P.K. Lucker, Deputy Registrar of Births, Deaths in the District of Tarnagulla do hereby certify that the death of Charlotte Thorpe was duly registered by me on this day. WITNESS my hand this 11th day of May 1872 PK Lucker, Deputy Registrar.

Historical information

A large lot of papers, including this and many other birth, death and burial records, were apparently found in the ceiling cavity of the Sandy Creek/Tarnagulla Post and Telegraph Office in the later 20th Century, during building works. Donald Clark Collection.

Registration of Birth form

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Registration of Birth form for: Child's name: Francis Charles Sharman Date of Birth: 4th Jan, 1872 Place of birth: Llanelly Father: Charles Thomas Sharman Mother: May Jane Sharman (nee Crichton)

Historical information

A large lot of papers, including this and many other birth and death registration forms, were apparently found in the ceiling cavity of the Sandy Creek/Tarnagulla Post and Telegraph Office in the later 20th Century, during building works. Donald Clark Collection.

Postcard: Greetings From Laanecoorie - Greetings From Laanecoorie

Tarnagulla History Archive, Tarnagulla

Historical information

David Gordon Collection.