Stories Organisations Projects About Login

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum Parkville, VIC

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum at the University of Melbourne comprises a collection of items of historical and scientific interest, concentrating on scientific apparatus constructed by former professors and staff for research purposes. It includes equipment and photographs spanning the history of the School of Physics, which was established as the School of Natural Philosophy in the 1880's.

There are significant holdings of ruling engines and diffraction gratings developed by Grayson and Lyle as well as apparatus emerging from optical munitions research directed by Laby during the Second World War.

The Museum owes its creation to the dedication and forethought of Associate Professor Ed Muirhead, Chairman of the School of Physics from 1980 to 1986, who initiated the museum in the 1980s. The collection was catalogued with the aid of then curator, Ms Anna Fairclough, and the museum displays set up with a grant from the Ian Potter Foundation.

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum has had continuing outstanding support from the Cultural Collections Group and the Russell and Mab Grimwade Miegunyah Fund. In 2008 The Friends of the Physics Museum was initiated by colleagues and past students of Ed Muirhead.

Links

Contact Information

location
Level 2, The School of Physics, David Caro Building (192) Corner of Elgin and Swanston Streets The University of Melbourne Parkville VIC (map)
phone
+61 03 8344 5076
Contact

Opening Hours

Opening hours: 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday Closed between Christmas and New Year and on public holidays. We are located in the Laby/Hercus lecture foyer The School of Physics is on the corner of Swanston and Elgin Streets

Entry Fee

FREE

Location

Level 2, The School of Physics, David Caro Building (192) Corner of Elgin and Swanston Streets The University of Melbourne Parkville VIC

View on Google Maps

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum at the University of Melbourne comprises a collection of items of historical and scientific interest, concentrating on scientific apparatus constructed by former professors and staff for research purposes. It includes equipment and photographs spanning the history of the School of Physics, which was established as the School of Natural Philosophy in the 1880's.

There are significant holdings of ruling engines and diffraction gratings developed by Grayson and Lyle as well as apparatus emerging from optical munitions research directed by Laby during the Second World War.

The Museum owes its creation to the dedication and forethought of Associate Professor Ed Muirhead, Chairman of the School of Physics from 1980 to 1986, who initiated the museum in the 1980s. The collection was catalogued with the aid of then curator, Ms Anna Fairclough, and the museum displays set up with a grant from the Ian Potter Foundation.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

469 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (99) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

469 items

Posters, Display

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

A set of nine display posters, approx. 51cm x 64cm, of photographs, pages of pamphlets, newspaper cuttings, all stuck on cardboard with scotch tape. The set is mostly in good state of preservation, as at time of typing (1 March 2000) and no attempt has been made to remount or restore.

MADAS

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

See previous (F317) for details. Instrument c600mm long.

Slide with box and lid

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Slide showing Wallace’s Replica of Rowland’s Plane.

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed label on slide: “Wallace’s Replica of Rowland’s Grating 14500 lines to the inch Central Scientific Company, Chicago ILL” Label on box: “Diffraction Grating (Wallace) 14500 lines/inch”

Optical flat with box

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Blank clear slide with cardboard box. Loose paper with slide “Plane parallel flat for adjustment of spectrometer”.

Report - Stratospheric Winds Over Australia

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Blue spiral bound report titled 'Stratospheric Winds Over Australia'.

Lyle Radiograph

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Copies of the Lyle radiograph (see below) are on file with the letter (9Sept 1982) from J F Richardson (Australian Radiation Laboratory, as it was then called) detailing the description of the reproduction as follows: RADIOGRAPH OF PROFESSOR ORME MASSON'S FOOT! MOST PROBABLY THE FIRST RADIOGRAPH TAKEN IN AUSTRALIA. TAKEN BY PROFESSOR LYLE ON MARCH 3RD, 1896 USING A CROOKES DISCHARGE TUBE OF HIS OWN CONSTRUCTION

Historical information

"Salute to the X Ray Pioneers of Australia" by W Watson &Sons Ltd [1946] [Medical Library 610.9 WAT page 24-27 radiograph reproduction p26]

FACIT Mechanical ModelCM 2-16

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Keys: 16 x 9 x 16 ( A note states: ‘Possibly Model No LX (1945) See Sabielmy’s book (1939) Plaque: (See 297/M9 ....Sydney Pincombe ...)

Photograph, Optical Munitions: A.C. Goodwin & Peter Law

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Black and white photograph of two scientists at work (A.C. Goodwin and Peter Law).

Inscriptions & Markings

On front of image in ink: “9” On back of image in pencil: “No. 9 A.C. Goodwin Peter Law” (L to R) On back of image in ink: “9”

Mechanical equivalent of heat(J): remnant of torque mechanism

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Three components of “J” Calorimeter made of metal and covered in green enamel. One small weight from 33.3 has become detached from string.

Historical information

From label: Remnants of the “J” Apparatus beam balance for the measurement of the mechanical equivalent of heat. The solid object is the rotating magnet the construction of which is illustrated on the cover of \\\"A man Ahead of his Times\\\". Made in the Nat. Phil. Workshop for J experiment.

ARCHIMEDES Model LL-K (electrical)

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Keys: 10 x 11 x 20 ELECTRICAL!

Universal Shunt, H. Tinsley & Co.

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Cast, assembled. Polished, coated. Accessories: brass dials. Surface finish: polished, coated.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscribed on upper face: “No 18624/ UNIVERSAL SHUNT/[Calibration measuring units 1-2000]/H. TINSLEY & Co LONDON. S.E.”

HP35 handheld electronic calculator

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

One of the first scientific calculators.

Inscriptions & Markings

Dymo label BRG/15105

Photograph, Optical Munitions, with E.J. Hartung

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Part of a series entitled “Optical Munitions - School of Natural Philosophy, 1942-1945”. Black and white photo of Professor Hartung trmoving experimental pot of optical glass from furnace.

Inscriptions & Markings

In ink on lower left hand corner : “36”.

Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): Internal beam deflector power supply.

Historical information

Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.

Inscriptions & Markings

Sticky typed labels on back from left to right: “DEFLECTOR POWER SUPPLY” Handwritten in top left hand corner: “16”, “HV DC Supply for internal beam defection”

Tube, Geiger counter partly constructed , one end complete.

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Clear glass tube, about 50 % completed by glass blower towards Geiger counter construction.

Hygrometer, Wet and Dry

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Wet and dry hygrometer made of two mercury and glass thermometers set on wooden stand.

Historical information

Used for measuring relative humidity.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label: “Nat Phil Lab No. Univ of Melb.”

Book, Instruction

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Red covered stapled small paperback book on the Abacus. Relevent to the ABACUS cat. no. 85

Inscriptions & Markings

In front cover hand written “B. Laby”.

Diapason normal Tuning Forks. Set of 13 in wooden case.

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Set of 13 tuning forks tuned to each semitone of the musical scale, based on C4=256 Hertz (A4=435 Hertz); each with spherical brass knob on end; all enclosed in a hinged wooden case. Wooden clamp for forks included in the box. Performance certificate available. 53.1=box 53.2=wooden forks clamp 53.3-53-15 =13 tuning forks.

Inscriptions & Markings

Engraved plaque inside box: International Stimmunt ut 3-517,304v? 1a 3-870v?; C1-258,652 Schwingungen a1-435 Schwingungen. Inscribed on top of box Max Kohl Chemnitz 1/5 Label on side of box:Tuning forks. On each tuning fork size is identified as MK inscribed.

Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): spectrometer magnet & target chamber. Duplicate of 175.

Historical information

Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.

Inscriptions & Markings

Sticky typed labels on back from top and left to right: “TARGET CHAMBER, 180 SPECTORMETER MAGNET, TURNTABLE”

Galvanometer

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Rectangular frame with coiled metal wires on two opposite sides. Symmetrical placement of screws with connecting wires and terminals between the two sides. Removable cylindrical pin through center of top plate. Four smaller coils of wire secured to underside of top plate. Object rests on ends of three screw feet, two forward and one rear.

Inscriptions & Markings

Engraved at center of top plate: ' H. TINSLEY & CO. LONDON S. E.' Engraved at lower centre of top plate: 'NO 16949' Engraved on top of cylinder pin: 'NO 19908' Front side of top plate engraved with: 'DEFLECTING COILS' Engrave on center base of front side: '10 / VOLTS' Left side of top plate label: 'NAT. PHIL. LAB. / NO 65 / UNIV. OF MELB.' Associated label separate to object also has inscription on recto: 'Schering & / Schmidt / Galvanometer' and upside down on verso: 'A. C / [r] [e] [...] Gold[l]ing / p.p. 245' (writing unclear)

Resistance Bridge Hartmann & Braun

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Machined metal parts, polymer base, wooden box plinth. Uncoated metal, polished wood. Surface finish: wood varnish.

Inscriptions & Markings

[Stamped] on upper face, centre of front edge: Hartmann & Braun A.G./ Frankfurt a.M/ No 13881. [Stamped] on upper face, centre of back edge: Manufacturer’s symbol. Paint dot on upper face in top left corner approx. 0.7-1.0cm in diameter.

Post Office Box (Eureka)

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Assembled, cast hand built, moulded, dove-tailed. Polished, coated, engraved burnished, stencil. Accessories: dials, labels, screws. Surface finish: coated, polished.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscribed on upper face along back edge: “T.E.P.L. MELBOURNE [arrow] 298 1941” Inscribed on upper face along front edge: “EUREKA BRITISH STANDARD OHMS” Labels Inscribed on upper face: “POSTIVE POLE/LINE OR EARTH” “LINE AND/GALVANOMETER” “GALVANOMETER” “NEGATIVE POLE/AT 15.5oCENT”

Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): spectrometer magnet & target chamber.

Historical information

Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.

Inscriptions & Markings

Sticky typed labels on back from top and left to right: “180 SPECTROMETER MAGNET & TARGET CHAMBER”

Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): magnet & vacuum box.

Historical information

Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.

Inscriptions & Markings

Sticky typed labels on back from top and left to right: “COIL CANS, POLE PIECE, BOX, COUPLING PORT, 10” DIFF PUMP” Handwritten on back bottom left corner in pen: “magnet and vacumm box” Handwritten in pencil “A”

Accessory box for a No 6 Director Mk I

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Leather accessory box with shoulder strap and metal buckles. Flip open lid.

Historical information

Possibly related to the range-finding equipment sent from England for dismantling during the 1940s so University of Melbourne Physics staff could develop their own equipment. Related to object 463.1

Inscriptions & Markings

Embossed in lid: 'CASE NO 6 DETECTOR MK 1 / COOKE, TROUGHTON & SIMMS, LTD / 9 / 22 / A.F.A' and broad arrow symbol.

Stereoscope with lid (and wooden oddment)

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Olive green enamelled stereoscope enclosed in olive green wooden hinged box. Two test stereoscopic pictures of a rhino also kept in box. A wooden oddment (10 cm) is also enclosed.

Inscriptions & Markings

Engraved in white on stereoscope: “DC-1940 Serial No. 32” Label on front of box: “stereoscope”

Leaflet, NatPhil Lab 1939

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Stapled thin leaflet cover entitled “Natural Philosophy Laboratory University of Melbourne. Inspection of New Wing and Exhibition of Physical Apparatus and Experiments. Friday, August 25th, 1939 8pm to 10pm”. 15 pages in leaflet.

Photograph, Cyclotron, Duplicate Set

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Black and white photograph of cyclotron equipment stored in white envelope entitled “”Cyclotron Photographs (Duplicate set) Very similiar to 235

Photograph, Optical Munitions, with Peter Law & .A.C. Godwin

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Part of a series entitled “Optical Munitions - School of Natural Philosophy, 1942-1945”. Black and white photo of Peter Law and A.C. Goodwin examining optical glass specimens.

Inscriptions & Markings

In ink on lower left hand corner : “28”.

MADAS

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Electric Keys: 8 x 16

First day cover, TH Laby &c

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

First day cover showing stamps of famous Australians including Thomas Laby, Scientist.

Inscriptions & Markings

Printed: “ Australia postcover Famous Australians Stamps and Cover Design Bruce Weatherhead”. Postmarked: “Philatelic Sales Centre Melbourne 3000 First day of issue - 10 November 1976”

Resistance Decade Box

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Resistance decade box constructed with a rectangular wooden body and black plastic top displaying five large dials and fifteen smaller dials. Unit measurements are inscribed beneath each dial.

Significance

Related to objects 451 and 452

Inscriptions & Markings

Left to right on top panel surrounding dials: 'INT / OHMS AT 20 C MANGANIN / PURCHASED BY UNIVERSITIES COMMISSION / J. L. WILLIAM MELBOURNE' Adhered label at center of top, between dials: 'Part 2 W B S' Long front side has an metal panel with paper label and PVC covering demonstrating setup that has 'SERIAL No 416' engraved along upper edge.

Photograph, Cyclotron (JL Rouse)

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Black and white photograph of cyclotron equipment displayed on bench. Stored in white envelope entitled “”Cyclotron - Photographs around the vacuum chamber from J.L. Rouse (Feb 1991)”

BURROUGHS Adding Machine

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Photograph, Optical Munitions: ? Kahanine

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Black and white photograph of male scientist (Kahanine) working on graphic design.

Inscriptions & Markings

On front of image in ink: “31” On back of image in pencil: “No. 31 Kahanine’ On back of image in ink: “31”

Meldometer, Joly

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

The following from #2975 in UDE UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN ENGINEERING list in the “Irish National Inventory of Historical Scientific Instruments” by Charles Mellon (P/C in file for Cat no 272. “....meldometer as an instrument ‘for the purpose of finding the melting-points of minerals, hence its name. As used by him (Joly), it consists of a strip of platinum,on which minute fragments of any mineral can be placed, while any alteration in its length can be determined by means of a micrometer screw which touches a lever connected with one end of the strip. The strip can be heated by an electric current, and is calibrated by observing the micrometer readings corresponding to the temperatures at which some substances of known melting-points melt’.” Ref. : J. Joly, Proc. Roy. Irish Acad. 3rd series vol 2 (1891),38-64.

Historical information

Joly Meldometer The Joly meldometer was created to determine the melting point of minerals. W.E. Wilson, an astronomer and author, stated in 1900 that the Joly meldometer consisted of a ‘a strip of platinum on which minute fragments of any mineral can be placed, while any alteration in its length can be determined by means of a micrometer screw which touches a lever connected with one end of the strip. The strip can be heated by an electric current, and is calibrated by observing the micrometer readings corresponding to the temperatures at which some substances of known melting-points melt’i . One reason why the Joly meldometer was seen as a successful addition to science was the small amount of any substance that it required for testing. Only a minute sample was needed for the instrument to work and so a tiny part could be taken from a delicate item without destroying itii . The instrument was originally manufactured by the Irish company Yeates & Son of Dublin. The Yeates family business was established in the early 1790’s and is thought to have operated until approximately 1922iii . Their business slogan was recorded as ‘Instrument makers to the University’, a slogan which proudly exhibited their relationship with Trinity College, Dublin. The company was located directly opposite Trinity College, the place where the Joly meldometer was created. Working in such close proximity must have assisted this business relationship. The inventor of this meldometer was Irishman John Joly. Joly was born in 1857 at the Church of Ireland Rectory, Hollywood House. His education led him to Trinity College Dublin where, by 1891, he had obtained a Bachelor of Engineering degree as well as a Doctorate of Science. The entirety of his working life appears to have taken place at Trinity College although he is known to have travelled in order to consult with other scientists such as the world renowned Sir Ernest Rutherford. The Joly meldometer was used for a variety of different purposes, with scientists often adapting the instrument to suit their own needs. For instance, the previously mentioned astronomer W.E. Wilson adapted the meldometer to assist him in measuring the radiation of the suniv . Joly used his device in an attempt to ascertain the age of the earth. In 1913, along with Sir Rutherford, Joly came to the conclusion that the earth was approximately 400 million years old. They did this by analysing the decay of radioactivity in minerals. According to our present knowledge of the earth this was a much more accurate date than the dates Joly had previously derived. He had first thought that the earth was 97 million years old due to the volume of sodium in the oceans. Joly’s second analysis of the topic had resulted in the age of 80 million years. This figure was based on the accumulation of sediment. Apart from designing his meldometer, Joly is also remembered for his work with colour photography. In 1894 Joly discovered a method for creating colour photographs from a single platev . He also studied the use of radiation as a treatment for cancer and persuaded the Royal Dublin Society to establish the Radium Institute to assist hospitals. In 1933 Joly passed away at the age of seventy-six. Jacqueline Eager Student Projects Placement, Cultural Collections 2005 iMollan, Charles, Irish National Inventory of Scientific Instruments, Samton Limited, 1995, p. 302. iiJoly, John, 'On the determination of the melting points of minerals, Part 1. Uses of the meldometer', Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy, Vol. 2., 1891. iiiInstitute for Learning Technologies, "Stephan Mitchell Yeates' http://www.ilt.columbia.edu/projects/bluetelephone/html/yeates.html, accessed on 04.10.2005 ivMollan, Charles, Irish National Inventory of Historic Scientific Instruments, op cit. vMollan, Charles, The Mind and the Hand: Instruments of Science 1685-1932, Samton Limited, Dublin, 1995, p. 34.

MILLIONAIRE (#2) 10 keys

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Inscriptions & Markings

Plaque: ‘Hans W Egli/Ingenieur / Fabrikation von flechenmashinen [sic; ?] / Pat. O, Steiger / Zurich II / No 2566. Sole Agents for Australia / Peacock Bros./ Business Systems Company / 558 , 560, 562 Collins St., Melbourne / and at / Sydney, Adelaide, Perth’ Plaque: ‘Presented to . / Department of Information Science / Melbourne University / by the / Gas & Fuel Corporation of Victoria / This calculating machine was used by Engineers of the Metropolitan Gas Co and Gas & Fuel Corporation / from 1917 to 1970’

Voltmeter, Hartmann & Braun

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Assembled, moulded (bakelite). Coated. Surface finish: polished.

Inscriptions & Markings

Plaque: “Hartmann & Braun/A.-G./Frankfurt a.M.” Stamped label: “NATURAL PHILOSOPHY LABORATORY/No/UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE”

Microscope rulings, 7 with box

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

7 flat discs (battery like) with diffraction gratings (55.1-55.7). surface rectangular rulings extend mostly 15mm . stored in specially converted metal hinged cigarette box (55.8) with wooden compartments

Slide, Grayson Test plate with case

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Test plate rectangular glass slide with rulings under circular cover glass within yellow circle and brown border enclosed in red hinged box with blue lining. Described as “A sample Microscope slide - Test plate with rulings from 30,000 to 120,000 per inch”. This is the only surviving ruling reaching up to 120,000; hence is both unique and valuable.

Inscriptions & Markings

Labels on slide: “Test plate 10,000 to 120,000. Ruled by H.J. Grayson, Melbourne”. No of lines per inch Band 1-10,000 2-20,000”. On label on side: “No of lines per inch Band 3 -30,000 4 - 40,000 5-50,000 6-60,000 7-70,000 8-80,000 9-90,000 10-100,000 11-110,000 12-120,000”

Sample Holder

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Metal sample holder for optics measurements with three circular, intertwined and moveable spheres.

Inscriptions & Markings

Logo and Cyrillic characters with 'No 650157' at top of holder.

Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): 100 kV deflector power supply & accessories.

Historical information

Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.

Inscriptions & Markings

Sticky typed labels on back from top to bottom: “MAIN MAGNET STANDARD RESISTOR”, “DEFLECTOR POWER SUPPLY 100KV”, “KINNEY BACKING PUMP” Handwritten in pencil in bottom right hand corner: “17”

Instruments, Miscellaneous

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Demonstration model: Metal cylindrical instrument has three tubes attached to body with a glass disc in one tube (= viewing port). Large part of instrument is cut away. Model part of accelerator beam line. Bolt holes on the base and top of instrument for attachment into vacuum lines.

Photograph, Opening PS Building

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Black and white photo of Weickhardt, Caro and Spicer watching L.H. Martin unveiling a plaque which reads: “This Building was opened on the 23rd February 1974 by Sir Leslie Martin Kt CBE FRS FAA”

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten on back in pencil: “Feb 1974 L to R: Wuickhardt (Chancellor), Caro (Head), Spicer, L.H. Martin (age 74”. “A”

Photograph, Optical Munitions: G.F. Dainty

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Black and white photograph portrait of G.F. Dainty

Inscriptions & Markings

On front of image in ink: “4” On back of image: “5”, “No. 5 G.F. Dainty”. See History of Object for transcript.

Hewlett-Packard Desk Calculator Model 46

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Electronic desk calculator last used by Betatron group

Photograph, “J” apparatus

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Black and white photo of “J” apparatus in laboratory.

MARCHANT ADX FIGUREMATIC NO 4

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Keys: 10 x 10 x 20 Plaque: Model ADX Made in USA by Marchant Calculators Inc Oakland, California, USA

Photograph, Optical Munitions, with E.R. Johnson?

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Part of a series entitled “Optical Munitions - School of Natural Philosophy, 1942-1945”. Black and white photo of man, possibly Eric Johnson, assembling glass “sandwich” prior to fusing. N.B. As at time of writing it is not certain that the “man” pictured in nos. 147 and 149 is the same individual as pictured in no 140. (EGM. 11/11/99) Same photo as Reg No. 268

Inscriptions & Markings

In ink on lower left hand corner : “27”.

Slide Rule, linear “W&G”

The Ed Muirhead Physics Museum, Parkville

Linear slide rule made of wood with glass slide encased in metal.

Inscriptions & Markings

“W & G Melbourne Australia Model 421”. Inscribed: “W & G”( the local manufacturer)