Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum Mulwala , NSW

Housed in a spacious building which was a former indoor cricket centre, featuring one of the largest and most comprehensive exhibits of the early pioneering days of the district and Australia

Contact Information

location
151 Melbourne St Mulwala NSW 2640 (map)
phone
+61 0357431091 and 0357442614

Contact

Opening Hours

Wednesday to Sunday 1pm-4.30pm

Entry Fee

Adults: $5;00 Students under 16 : $1.00

Location

151 Melbourne St, Mulwala NSW

View on Google Maps
Susan (Sue) Watson (nee Manning) 24 December 2015 1:51 PM

Hello Jaycee, Bruce and co-workers Just wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and prosperous 2016. I hope all is well with you. Kind Regards Sue Watson (nee Manning)

Leave a comment

404 items

404 items

Photos - Calders House--Pelleubla

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Furphy Water Cart B

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Horse drawn, spoked steel wheels. Wheels also made by Furphy

Granny Tooth Router

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Home made wood working tools

Diggers A.I.F Hat with Engineers Badge

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Office Equipment--Tape Recorder - Tape Recorder

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Reel to reel tape recorder .Magic Tape Pyrox

Telford Tennis Club minute books and records

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

all enclosed in a cardboard box. Minute books 1927 to 2014 (not all complete). Includes photos, paper cuttings, Wilby and District Tennis Association draws, subs books, list of names of those who have played for Telford. Consumer Affairs returns, Incorporation papers, receipt books, some correspondence (later years)

Historical information

Telford Tennis courts were situated on the Telford Yarrawonga Road, west of the railway line, Telford station and silos. A thriving club existed from early 1920's with players from surrounding areas in early times. balls and tournaments were held as fundraisers. Prominent family names included Stevenson, Chappell, Mulquiney, Thom, Inchbold, Connell. Quinn. There were three teams during the 1960's playing in the Wilby and District Tennis Association ( WDTA) competition. Opponents included Wilby, Almonds, St Mary's, Bundalong, Savernake, Rennie, Roseneath, Burramine. Being in a low lying area the Telford dirt courts were often flooded. At the beginning of the season working bees were held to remove the weeds. mow the surrounds and line the courts During the early 1980's the courts were abandoned and home matches were played at the Yarrawonga Lawn Tennis courts. The club still has a team in the WDTA in 2019. A number of B grade Premierships have been won over the years however A grade premierships have been non existent. The club has always encouraged juniors to play and now the players mostly originate from Yarrawonga. Current President (2019) is Richard Inchbold, Secretary/Treasurer Joan Thom. The Bank account is held at the CMCU. The club is no longer Incorporated

Significance

Country tennis teams provided a social outlet from the farming pursuits of the district

Inscriptions & Markings

see photos

Boomerang

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Child's cloth book - Toddles on the farm

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Small cloth book with four pages printed on both sides. Brightly coloured pictures of farm animals and their babies and "Toddles" the little boy. Spine machine sewn, each page doube thickness, top and bottom edges neatened with pinking shears.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front - A Toddles Press TP Production Toddles on the Farm Regd. Drawn by Iris Waton Back - Made in England, Copyright reserved

Bottle ---Dover Olive Oil

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Postcard featuring "Phar Lap" - "Pha rLap" WS Cox Plate winner 1930-31

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Sepia coloured photo of "Phar Lap" with trainer Harry Telford's son aboard

Inscriptions & Markings

See photo for front and back Signed by Cappy Telford and Jack Baker 9/4/92

Brass Nameplate - W H Arnott, Yarrawonga

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Metal name plate probably attached to a coach or buggy. Hole a each end for bolts

Historical information

W H Arnott was a coach builder in Yarrawonga. His premises were where Beattie Lawn Mower shop is now in McNally Street near Belmore St

Camera--Eumig

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

8 Tobacco and CigaretteTins

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Photograph envelope

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Brown card envelope used to hold photographs and negatives on return from developing by Kodak laboratories to the chemist R.O. Hughes Yarrawonga. The edges are stitched . inside the front flap has a price list for enlargements, back flap has description of Verichrome film and its good quality. The back cover advertises the Kodak Brownie Simplicity camera.

Historical information

The front cover depicts fashion in swimming suits of the time. R.O Hughes was in business between 1916 and 1938 in Yarrawonga

Inscriptions & Markings

Name - Miss M.Whinray. R.O. Hughes Chemist and Optician Tel. 35 Yarrawonga

Rabbit Bait Layer

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Tri wheeled Construction with single furrow plough blade,adjustable from the operators seat set between the rear wheels. The operator controlled the depth of the plough blade from this position. The front wheel used for levelling of the assembly. It also provided the operator control direction of the Bait Layer. There was a mechanical mechanism driven by the reR left wheel of the assembly. This mechanism forced bait into the furrows left by the plough. The rate of feed controlled by the operator

Inscriptions & Markings

No 1733 Pearsons patent Cohoe &Walster Makers. Junee

Bucket - Well Bucket

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Heavy all iron well bucket. Riveted together in two halves (top and bottom). Made from metal sheets riveted together, also strengthened with iron straps. It has a large, round iron rod turned into a hook which is attached across the top.

Historical information

Belonged to and used by Patrick O'Kane 1872 - 1947 in the Burramine/Boosey district

Inscriptions & Markings

none

Indigenous Collection - Bull Roarer

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Thin wooden shape- smooth. Cord attached to top for swinging

Historical information

Not known

Inscriptions & Markings

Serpent type snake painted on front in black,white,ochre,olive and brown with initials”GMH”

Slides

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

2 ywga slides flash bulbs

Talc powder container

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Plastic square container with round lid. The lid twists and has holes to dispense the talc powder. Contains 100g net. On the back is printed a barcode with directions for use, caution alerts and ingredients. Customer service free call, information. Trademark J&J 1993

Inscriptions & Markings

Johnsons Baby (clinically proven mildness) powder, Johnson and Johnson 100g net. J&J on lid. On base ACI 316 1 Recycle symbol 2.

Film Equipment - Slide Projector

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Flat Iron

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

No. 7 Metters Flat Iron made from cast iron.Good Condition

Historical information

This flat iron was one of two flat irons donated by Mr Max Millsteed in 2000. Mr Millsteed died in Dec 2004

Inscriptions & Markings

" No7 /Metters /Sydney"

Cadet Remo Radio

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Paper Dispenser

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Metal and wood structure. MetL uprights with a wooden top and base and metal blade which is. 24 inches long. Base is 14 cm w a s 72 cm long

Significance

Old shop fitting

Inscriptions & Markings

Canberra 24 emblazoned into metal

Biscuit Barrel

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

porcelain biscuit barrel with a metal lid and handle. Cream in colour decorated with a hand painted flower design in red and green

Bottle---Potassium Permanganate

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Tea towel - St John Ambulance Australia, First aid on the spot. Home nursing hints

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

One printed tea towel with first aid instructions for bleeding, burns, snake bite, asthma, heart attack, blood nose,convulsions, sporting injuries.

Inscriptions & Markings

First Aid,St John

Book of Children's Fancy dress Costumes

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Wilby Store Delivery Cart

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

A wooden Four wheel horse drawn Cart

Historical information

Used to deliver groceries around the Wilby area

Stripper Harvestor

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

This 1916 H.V. McKay harvestor Serial No.102736. The first machines looked like strippers ,but had a fan, sieves, elevators and a small grain storage bin.. The McKay Stripper Harvestor

Historical information

The first successful stripper harvestor ,a Nicholson & Morrow harvestor invented by James Morrow appeared at the Victorian Government trial at Dookie Experimental farm on Dec 27th 1883. Although the stripper harvestor was being manufactured in small numbers by the mid 1800's it did not take over from the tripper until 1904. Hugh McKay soon became the most successful manufacturer of stripper harvestors under the "Sunshine " name and by 1940 over 40,000 harvestors had been produced.

Inscriptions & Markings

Sunshine

Wax Match Holder and Striker

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Metal match box holder enamel casing with photograph and match striker on the end.

Historical information

Local Stock and Station agents.

Inscriptions & Markings

"With compliments McPherson Thom & Co Stock and ...Station Agent,Yarrawonga,Victoria. and 430 Collins St Melbourne ,Branch Offices at Corowa N.S.W, Oaklands N.S.W.