Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum Mulwala , NSW

Housed in a spacious building which was a former indoor cricket centre, featuring one of the largest and most comprehensive exhibits of the early pioneering days of the district and Australia

Contact Information

location
151 Melbourne St Mulwala NSW 2640 (map)
phone
+61 0357431091 and 0357442614

Contact

Opening Hours

Wednesday to Sunday 1pm-4.30pm

Entry Fee

Adults: $5;00 Students under 16 : $1.00

Location

151 Melbourne St, Mulwala NSW

View on Google Maps
Susan (Sue) Watson (nee Manning) 24 December 2015 1:51 PM

Hello Jaycee, Bruce and co-workers Just wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and prosperous 2016. I hope all is well with you. Kind Regards Sue Watson (nee Manning)

Leave a comment

389 items

389 items

Liquid Blue

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Plaque

Key words

plaque

Small round disc made of metal for use on water tanks.

Inscriptions & Markings

Jas Milne Olley -Maker Yarrawonga.

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Moonee Valley Race Program - Moonee Valley - A tribute to Phar Lap

Rectangular program 112 pages with sepia photos of "Phar Lap" on front and back. Contains details of races held by the Moonee Valley Racing Club Inc. on Saturday 11 April 1992. Cost of program $2

Historical information

A race meeting held as a tribute to "Phar Lap" - died 5/4/1932

Inscriptions & Markings

See photos front and back covers

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Stripper Harvestor

This 1916 H.V. McKay harvestor Serial No.102736. The first machines looked like strippers ,but had a fan, sieves, elevators and a small grain storage bin.. The McKay Stripper Harvestor

Historical information

The first successful stripper harvestor ,a Nicholson & Morrow harvestor invented by James Morrow appeared at the Victorian Government trial at Dookie Experimental farm on Dec 27th 1883. Although the stripper harvestor was being manufactured in small numbers by the mid 1800's it did not take over from the tripper until 1904. Hugh McKay soon became the most successful manufacturer of stripper harvestors under the "Sunshine " name and by 1940 over 40,000 harvestors had been produced.

Inscriptions & Markings

Sunshine

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

no image

Thread Cutting Die

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Mangle - E.W Bank Jewel Mangle

Photo 0028 Steel construction with Wooden Roller Steel Wheels,Rachets & Wheel. Wood Handle Sides Ornate

Inscriptions & Markings

E.W Bank Jewel Rd No 32 6684 Metal Bar over Rollers " Wring at the ends of Roller--hand to finger at 24

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

no image

Trophies - Silver Crop Competition Trophy

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Theatre Opera Program - Princess Theatre The Grand Opera Season of 1928

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Wilby Store Delivery Cart

A wooden Four wheel horse drawn Cart

Historical information

Used to deliver groceries around the Wilby area

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

no image

Banjo

Banjo in a case

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Childs High chair

Red vinyl seat, laminex step 32cm from floor. Arms of table screwed onto frame so can swivel - be lifted up over childs head. Table rests on top of frame. Red and white laminex back support table and step. Rubber covers on feet. Silver and dark red.

Historical information

Well made, simple and practical. Probably home made by a handyman. Easy to use and clean. Laminex colouring typical of 1960/1970's

Inscriptions & Markings

None

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

no image

Hat Pins

5 ornate Hat pins

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

no image

Soda Syphon

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Photograph envelope

Brown card envelope used to hold photographs and negatives on return from developing by Kodak laboratories to the chemist R.O. Hughes Yarrawonga. The edges are stitched . inside the front flap has a price list for enlargements, back flap has description of Verichrome film and its good quality. The back cover advertises the Kodak Brownie Simplicity camera.

Historical information

The front cover depicts fashion in swimming suits of the time. R.O Hughes was in business between 1916 and 1938 in Yarrawonga

Inscriptions & Markings

Name - Miss M.Whinray. R.O. Hughes Chemist and Optician Tel. 35 Yarrawonga

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Mail order catelogues x 3 - Rockman's, The Myer Emporium, Wakes of Australia

Paper stapled catelogues all published in 1952. Rockman's - ladies clothing. Myer emporium - Mens, ladies, childrens clothing, beds, electrical appliances, shoes, makeup. Wakes - Ladies and men's clothing, beds, electrical appliances, wall paper, curtains, fabric, crockery, furniture

Historical information

Indicating fashions and homeware styles of the the early 1950's

Inscriptions & Markings

see photos

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

no image

Wood Chisel

Wooden handle with metal blade used in wood working

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Tie Shape Preserver

Key words

tie, preserver, shape.

Tie shape preserver is made of cork and has a slight curve.Tie was placed over the preserver to stretch out the creases.

Inscriptions & Markings

"With Compliments From Berryman & Bryant Tie Specialists Yarrawonga".

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Mason Wagon 10 ton

Very large wooden wagon, flat tray, 4 wooden wheels each with 12 spokes. Metal rims. Shafts detached and lying on tray. Painted red and blue.

Inscriptions & Markings

A E McPherson, Boomahnoomoonah

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

no image

Field Telephone

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Yarrawonga rifle club trophy

Silver sugar basin. Round bowl with petal shaped edges on a small stand. It has two handles attached

Historical information

Ollie Meritan was the manager for Whiteheads who bought Sloanes Mulwala station on the Murray River. I D Forbes was the Weir Manager at the time and a member of the rifle club

Inscriptions & Markings

Yarrawonga rifle club 1950. Donated by O. Meritan won by I D Forbes

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Child’s Tandem tricycle

Hand painted(red, white, blue) child’s tricycle with two hard metal seats, spoked wheels have perished rubber rims, chrome handle bars, rubber pedals. Has standing bar under the back seat

Historical information

Used by children in the 1950’s and 60’s. could accommodate three children

Significance

Not so common being double seated but much used by children for play

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Separator - Alpha Lavel Separator

A hand operated wooden separator used for separating the cream from the milk.

Historical information

Loaned to the Museum in 1994 by the Symes Family

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

no image

Records - 14 Gramaphone Records

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

no image

Cream Cane Pram - Pram

Vinyl lined large pram with folding hood, large wire basket under handle. Thick (5cm) mattress, baby pillow and silky shawl/cover. 3 towelling nappies - 1 cloth nap in basket. Was well sprung pram with 4 solid rubber tyres. Handle reaches 30cm above pram top (waist high) - made from shaped tubular steel.

Inscriptions & Markings

No markings noticed

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

no image

Beaded panel

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

no image

AWA Radiola

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

no image

Meat Chopper

1881 Enterprise Metal chopper with a wooden handle and long blade used for splitting the carcass backbone

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

no image

Bottle--Brown Sauce

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Evening gown

Handmade black floral organza skirt, with gathered black organza flounce at the hem. Three quarter floral sleeves with black frilled edging. Large pink and green flowers on black background. Self covered buttons and loops on back bodice. Separate black taffeta underskirt

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala

Telford Tennis Club minute books and records

all enclosed in a cardboard box. Minute books 1927 to 2014 (not all complete). Includes photos, paper cuttings, Wilby and District Tennis Association draws, subs books, list of names of those who have played for Telford. Consumer Affairs returns, Incorporation papers, receipt books, some correspondence (later years)

Historical information

Telford Tennis courts were situated on the Telford Yarrawonga Road, west of the railway line, Telford station and silos. A thriving club existed from early 1920's with players from surrounding areas in early times. balls and tournaments were held as fundraisers. Prominent family names included Stevenson, Chappell, Mulquiney, Thom, Inchbold, Connell. Quinn. There were three teams during the 1960's playing in the Wilby and District Tennis Association ( WDTA) competition. Opponents included Wilby, Almonds, St Mary's, Bundalong, Savernake, Rennie, Roseneath, Burramine. Being in a low lying area the Telford dirt courts were often flooded. At the beginning of the season working bees were held to remove the weeds. mow the surrounds and line the courts During the early 1980's the courts were abandoned and home matches were played at the Yarrawonga Lawn Tennis courts. The club still has a team in the WDTA in 2019. A number of B grade Premierships have been won over the years however A grade premierships have been non existent. The club has always encouraged juniors to play and now the players mostly originate from Yarrawonga. Current President (2019) is Richard Inchbold, Secretary/Treasurer Joan Thom. The Bank account is held at the CMCU. The club is no longer Incorporated

Significance

Country tennis teams provided a social outlet from the farming pursuits of the district

Inscriptions & Markings

see photos

Yarrawonga and Mulwala Pioneer Museum , Mulwala