Framed Letter - Citation for Military Cross
From the Collection of Red Cliffs Military Museum Jamieson Ave Red Cliffs Victoria
- Letter in brown wooden frame with the Battalion colour patch attached to wooden surround under the glass.The letter has the Commonwealth of Australia emblem on the top of the page and was issued by the Department of Defence on the 17th September 1918, to notify Lieutenant F.W. Tickle's father the he had been awarded the Military Cross. It also has the citation for which the Military Cross was awarded.
The paper backing on the frame is detiorating.
- 460mm H x 330mm W x 20mm D
- world war one, letter, citation, military cross, lieutenant frank william tickle, m c, 30th august 1918, commonwealth of, australia, department of defence, frank tickle esquire, commonwealth of australia gazette, no 137, london gazette 26th november, 1917
- This letter was sent to Mr. Frank Tickle Esquire in Warracknabeal, in Victoria, to inform him that his son Lieutenant Frank William Tickle,M.C. 8th Battaslion, had been awarded the Military Cross.
With reference to the award conferred as announced in the London Gazette dated 26th November, 1917.
"For conpicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in an attack. He led his company throughout with such fearless disregard of danger as to inspire his men to great effort. When they came under heavy shell fire he halted his men in shell holes, and went out to a flank and engaged the enemy with a machine gun.
During the fight for the final objective he was again heavily opposed by a machine gun. He led his men forward with great gallantry and personally killed the entire gun crew and successfully captured the position. He set a splendid example of courage and determination."
- 17/12/1918 (exact)
- Commonwealth of Australia, Department of Defence (Maker)
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:09AM