VHS Movie - MAD WAX
From the Collection of Australian National Surfing Museum 77 Beach Road Surf City Plaza Surfcoast Highway Torquay Victoria
- VHS Surf film released by Quiksilver in February 1987. Colour cover art featuring a colour photograph of Gary Elkerton, one of the stars of the film.
- 12cm x H20cm x W12cm (video case)
- surf, quiksilver, wax, gangajang
- A comedy surf film featuring Tom Carroll, Kong Elkerton, Bryce Ellis, Mark Sainsbury, and Ross Clarke-Jones as the Wiz. The Wiz stumbles on an old book about making your own wax and mixes a batch which magically transports him and his friends to some of the world's best surf spots. Music by popular Australian band GANGgajang
- 1986 (estimated)
- QUIKSILVER (Maker)
- MAD WAX had a national theatrical release in 1987. The film was shown at surf clubs, pubs and other surf film related venues during this period. The film is significant for the surfers who appear in the film (2 time World Champion Tom Carroll) and the 'loose' narrative thread which was common place in many surf films during the eighties. The film features Mark Sainsbury a popular professional surfer from New South Wales who suddenly died of a brain anueryism on 6th AUgust 1992. The poster and cover art for the VHS case were done by noted Quiksilver designer/artist Peter Webb. MAD WAX had its World Premier at the Enmore Theatre, Enmore, New South Wales on Saturday 28th February, 1987. The screening was accompanied by a live performance by GANGgajang whose music appears on the film soundtrack.
- QUIKSILVER Presents. Cover art by Peter Webb (Quiksilver) Quiksilver logo.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:08AM