Hair Locks - Memento Personal
From the Collection of Kiewa Valley Historical Society Mount Beauty Information Centre 31 Bogong High Plains Rd Mt Beauty Vic
- Wooden, possibly pine, cigar box with hinged lid. Inside lid is a photo, [male], in a red velvet frame. Base of box contains hair locks tied with apricot coloured ribbon x 3, covered with plastic.Top of box has tape covering the cigar label.
- H 200mm x W 115mm x D 33mm
- KVHS 0221
- memento, photo, personal, love token, cigar box, hair clippings, hair locks
- This photo was a loving memento of a young man, possibly kept by his girl friend or even his mother. Perhaps he was leaving home to go to work or even to war. The locks of blonde hair tied with apricot coloured ribbons probably belonged to a young lady or a child.
- 20th century
- This is of social significance. It is pre digital cameras, pre colour photos. Keeping locks of hair was, popular, especially in Victorian times.
- 26 Jul 2017 at 5:41PM