Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Kiewa Valley Historical Society Mt Beauty, Victoria

The Kiewa Valley Historical Society aims to preserve and conserve the history and heritage of the Kiewa Valley & district. Through the use of permanent, and temporary exhibitions, information walls, a photo gallery, a diorama of the Bogong High Plains, a model hydro system, and two DVD screens we show the area's history and highlights, that tell our social history, natural science areas and technological developments.

The collection has many artefacts that show the history and cultural heritage of the first indigenous people. Along with artefacts from pioneer settlers of the Kiewa Valley and Mount Beauty lived, worked and socialised. Items such as photos, books, farming equipment, hospital equipment, technological equipment from the Kiewa Hydro Scheme, household items, plus oral histories, and genealogy books are in our collection. All the items in the collection have either historical, technological or aesthetic significance to the Kiewa Valley and have good interpretive capacity. Artefacts have to meet this assessment criteria before being considered to be added into the collection. We do not buy, sell or give valuations for any artefacts at this stage.

The historical society Museum space shares the same premises as the Mt Beauty Visitor Information Centre. There is wheel chair access, a disability toilet and separate male and female toilets. Free parking is found the North side of the information centre. There is also a small seating area in the sun deck of the centre. The centre is with in walking distance from Mt Beauty main shopping centre and a 50 - 60 minute drive from the larger centres of Wodonga / Albury.
New members are always welcomed.

Contact Information

location
Mount Beauty Information Centre 31 Bogong High Plains Rd P.O. Box 184 Mt Beauty Victoria 3699 (map)
phone
+61 (03) 5754 1323

Contact

Opening Hours

10am to 4pm Monday to Thursday 10am - 5pm Friday 9am - 5pm Saturday 9am - 4pm Sunday During school holidays open 9:00 am to 5:00 pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.

Entry Fee

Gold coin donation.

Location

Mount Beauty Information Centre 31 Bogong High Plains Rd Mt Beauty Victoria

View on Google Maps

The collection has authentic items which highlight the first peoples who roamed the Kiewa Valley. Along with the social history of the first white settlers of the Kiewa Valley and Mount Beauty lived, worked and socialised from the late 1800's onwards. Items such as photos, books, farming equipment, hospital equipment, technological equipment from the Kiewa Hydro Scheme, household items, plus oral histories, and genealogy records and books are in our collection.

Significance

The Kiewa Valley Historical Society collection has historic significance as it shows how the first white settlers lived and worked through out the valley. Scientific significance applies to the rock cores taken by the SEC during the construction of the hydro scheme. The indigenous stones & tools also have historic significane as they show the cultural heritage of the first people of the Kiewa Valley. Other than the archives, all items have interpretative capacity to be in the collection.

Gavin 3 January 2015 9:16 PM

Hello, I am after a book, Title: Tales of Gibbo gold : characters from the 1880s. Author: Morrow, John A. (John Alexander). Would you have this or know where I can purchase a copy? Thanking you, Gavin.

Gavin 3 January 2015 9:16 PM

Hello, I am after a book, Title: Tales of Gibbo gold : characters from the 1880s. Author: Morrow, John A. (John Alexander). Would you have this or know where I can purchase a copy? Thanking you, Gavin.

Leave a comment

1245 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (1243) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

1245 items

Register School Administration - Absence Register School No. 2539 Mullindolingong

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Green coloured cardboard backed book with two large staples holding each page at the left side of the spine Each page of has been folded in half from a 51cm overall length to produce each individual page of the register. This method of production of the book provides 25 double sided pages.

Historical information

Historical look (early 20th century) at the administrative requirements for the running of a small country school. The level of accountability was limited to a monthly report and a visit from the District Inspector. This was still in the era where paper reporting was utmost and faster electronic reporting had still to be implemented.

Significance

The significance of this register is that it highlights the need in the early 1900s for travelling time, to and from, the duties required at a small country town to be detailed closely for a bureaucracy that was relatively isolated within the larger cities of Australia. Decentralisation of not only government but also of industry had not as yet entered the Australian environment. This register also shows that the written word was clearly hand scribed and thereby a more personal form of communication. This was still in the age where you " can tell a lot about a person from their handwriting" Lucy Goonan was Leonie Prime's relation and came from Glen Creek to teach at Mullindolingong School for a couple of years. None of the other names are 'known' names from the district.

Inscriptions & Markings

Markings on cover " Absence Register, School No........ At ......." Markings on inside cover " ABSENCE REGISTER." Underneath this heading there are six explanatory and conditional usage. Each page is printed with the heading ABSENCE REGISTER and underneath "Roll No. 191(part of initial year reference), Record No. Name of Teacher Position Date of Absence Cause of Absence No. of times absent from beginning of year, total number of days absence and remarks requirements staff /reason/time taken during the period 1923 to 1950. Each page was printed with only three numbers of the calender year 191-.This was so that each year could be manually inserted.

Booklets - Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme - 1. "Power From Kiewa" and 2. "Victoria's Hydro Power"

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

1. Colored soft cover with photo of McKay Creek Power Station on the front and Mt Beauty township on the back. Published by the SECV 2. Colored soft cover with Rocky Valley Dam on the front and inserted photo of a stream and snow on the back. Published by the SEC.

Historical information

1. The State Electricity Commission of Victoria built the Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme from the 1930's to the 1960's. This booklet was to inform visitors and to promote tourism. 2. The State Electricity Commission built several hydro power stations from 1928 - 1981. This booklet names each with a summary and explanation.

Significance

The State Electricity Commission of Victoria built the Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme establishing infrastructure such as the Bogong and Mt Beauty townships and the opportunity for tourism in the area.

Folder - Cattlemen Families - Cattlemen of the High Plains

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Plastic red folder with transparent front held by 2 gold metal slide clips. 16 clear plastic sheets holding 17 pages of photocopied print and pictures, 1 family tree, 1 photocopied photo, 1 birth document, 1 printed page, 3 photocopied letters and 7 printed pages.

Historical information

The Ryder and Edmondson families lived in the Kiewa Valley and had grazing licenses and huts on the Bogong High Plains.

Significance

Pioneer families of the Kiewa Valley and Cattlemen of the Bogong High Plains.

Photo Framed - Portrait of Walter and Ada Ryder

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Black and white photo of an elderly man and woman both well dressed. Framed by cream cardboard 3.5 cm at sides and 5 cm top and bottom with a plain metal frame surrounding all sides with decorated corners.

Historical information

Portraits were taken professionally often on important occasions. As graziers from a prominent family in Redbank, Walter and Ada Ryder were well known and respected.

Significance

Walter and Ada Ryder were pioneer high country graziers and cattlemen. Ada (nee Sullivan)'s family lived at Redbank. Their children were Walter, Victor, Beatrice, Vera, Lorna and Dorothy. Walter 1872 - 1954; Ada 1887 - 1983 Walter was a son of John and Annie Ryder - Walter's parents being one of the first settlers in the valley. According to Ada Ryder's notes and John Cooper's notes, Ryders were followed by Higginsons followed by Coopers in about 1867/8. Ropers held Mullindolingong Station/Mt Yorke Station, but had managers on the station before actually taking up residence about 1867/8. Whilst the Sullivans lived at Redbank (now known as Coral bank), the Ryders lived at Tawanga (correct spelling in those days) on Ryders Lane, Tawonga where John and Annie first built and lived; Walter and Ada then occupied the family home, followed by Vera Hore (nee Ryder) and the current owners Kevin and Rhonda Ryder.

Inscriptions & Markings

McPherson, Albury on front below righthand side of the photo.

Papers - The Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

The Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme General Development 1911 - 1961 by SECV, July 1973. Consists of 22 A4 pages held within a folded A3 sheet Victorian Hydro compiled by W. Sutton Nov. 1993. Office Copy / Facts & Figures. Consists of 44 A4 pages held by a metal clip.

Historical information

1. Chronological account of the Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme from 1911 to 1961 2.Victorian Hydro with technical facts and figures, with Aboriginal History of the region, Settlement of the Kiewa Valley, Origin of Names

Significance

Both accounts are a history of the Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme constructed by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria. The first is and abbreviated history of the scheme published by the SEC, the second is similar with 'facts & figures' accessed by Bill Sutton, (Mt Beauty resident and SEC worker) whose father worked on the scheme, and who enjoyed speaking to visitors and groups about the history of the area including some of the light hearted aspects of the history.

Book - Historical - SECV - Three Decades. The Story of the State Electricity Commission of Victoria from its Inception to December 1948

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Hard cover blue bound book with the SECV insignia and the title "Three Decades" both in gold on the front cover. Book includes coloured and black and white photos.

Historical information

At the time of writing this book The State Electricity Commission of Victoria had been in existence for 30 years. This book tells something of its progress and achievements during that period. It includes brown coal and water power. The Commission was to develop and use these natural resources through the expertise and experience of the Commissioners, its staff and employees.

Significance

Historical: Chapter 5 "The War Years - and Kiewa." describes the early stages of the Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme. Photos, map and diagrams of the Kiewa Scheme are also included.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten inside front cover: "Bob Burnett". Title page: hand written in print and crossed out: "L.D.Miller / Tawonga". Not crossed out - "(Cheryl)"

T-Shirt - High Country Line Dancers

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Red polo shirt with collar and two red buttons at top front. Short sleeves. Front and back - black print of two 'mountains' with "High Country / Line Dancers / Kiewa Valley. Label size 18 "Player"

Historical information

Kiewa Valley Line Dancers meet regularly to move in unison to music while standing in lines. There are certain moves that are memorised to the music creating the effect of everyone moving together while facing one direction and dancing on their own. Line dancing has been around for a long time possibly originating from round & square dancing in the 1800s. In the 1990s country western music was influenced by the popularity of line dancing. Then ballroom rhythms and technique took line dancing to the next level. Line dancing reached Europe and in 2008 gained the attention of the French government. Line dancers dance to most styles of music and is popular throughout the world.

Significance

This shirt belonged to Lorna Reid who lived in Tawonga in the Kiewa Valley. Line dancing began with Jim Budd in Mt Beauty in 1994 at the old Guide Hall with the assistance of the Neighbourhood Centre. Isla, a visiting teacher, with her husband Peter, continued classes at the Community Centre followed by Yvonne Sutton. At this time Social events were held with clubs from Myrtleford, Wodonga, Albury and Wangaratta. The next teacher was Joy Keith who held classes twice a week (Tuesday and Wednesday), with Eileen Speechly, from Gippsland, who held a class on Saturdays. In 2007, Robyn Quick took classes. An Intermediate class on Wednesday and Beginners on Friday. She visits Myrtleford once a week to learn from a teacher there. Line dancing is still (2018) enjoyed by many women in the Kiewa Valley giving them the opportunity to socialize and exercise together.

Bottle - Chemist

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Clear glass bottle with manganese/purple tinge caused by sunlight. Hand finished top. Joins in glass on each side but not continuing to opening. Straight sides from the base to a little more than half way up. Sharp taper to neck which is straight and long to lip and opening. Cork stopper.

Historical information

This bottle contained castor oil or cod-liver oil and has a hand finished top. It would have been bought at a local chemist or in a larger city on a shopping expedition.

Significance

Historical: Found inside the walls of a Tawonga South farm house having been left there when the house was being built. Change of bottles - shape, glass stopper, manufacture and use. Aesthetic: Display showing shape and colour due to the affect of sunlight.

Inscriptions & Markings

Bubbles in glass.

Book - Reference Maths - Algebra A Sequel To

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Black cover with strips on side of the front. Light brown centre with brown writing and squiggle pattern below.

Historical information

R. Wilson and A D Rose maths books were very popular and formed a basis of education maths classes in the 1950's in Victoria. This is what would have been used in Mt Beauty Secondary School at the time.

Significance

This has historic significance as it shows what maths was taught in the early - mid 20th century. This book would have been used in the Kiewa Valley schools by a local identity Wilma Davies therefore has social significance and good interpretive capacity. This book is now out of print and is a collectible item.

Inscriptions & Markings

Publisher inscription - Wilson and Ross

Bottle - Medical

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Small clear glass bottle with a square base. The sides taper to the screw top opening with a bakelite lid which has embossed lines on it for easy opening. The top is on very tightly and a brown solid remains inside one quarter of the way up from the base. On 1 side is a yellow label with black writing and light blue back ground with white writing at the bottom (of the label). The label is complete but falling off. Base is embossed with numbers unreadable inside an embossed circle.

Historical information

This bottle was used in the Tawonga District General Hospital which was built in the 1950's specifically for the increase in population due to the Kiewa Hydro Scheme.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label: 'Evans'/ 50 ml / Nobecutane / Trade Mark / Marking Ink / A plastic ink for the / pre-operative mark- / ing of skin surfaces. / Inflammable / Keep well sealed / and in a cool place '

Kettle Ceramic

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

This electric Fowler ware is a ceramic hot water jug. Its shape is in the "Art Deco" style of the early 1920's.

Historical information

This electric kettle/Jug is shaped in the style of the Art Deco period 1930's to 1950's (in Australia). It was at the beginning of the wave of creative kitchen ware to stimulate and impress visitors and uplift what used to be a boring kitchen environment.

Significance

This "art deco" electric kettle is very significant to the Kiewa Valley because it highlight that rural families and areas where in step (fashion wise) to their city "cousins". In the mid 1900's "the fashion" in Australia was (on the whole) always some years behind that of England and Europe. The years after World war II reduced the time lag between the "advanced fashion" of Europe and England and came in step with the emerging modern American fashion. American "film stars" started have their fashion projected onto the silver screens.

Inscriptions & Markings

On base "240V - 1650W" below this "AC ONLY" below this "MODEL No. EEJ" "APP. No. N550" below this "JUG BODY BY" under this and in script style "FOWLER WARE" below this "1583"

Books - History x2 - Forgotten Valley An Account of Kancoona/Running Creek by Robert Down

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Soft cardboard coloured cover, with picture of road lined by thick cover of trees. 194 pages. Includes black and white photos.

Historical information

Chapters are divided into groups of 50 years from1800 - 2010 covering the history of the area. It covers places, events families etc.

Significance

Historical account contributed by local families.

Slicer Bean

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

This bean slicer is made from cast iron with a round body housing three rotating blades screwed into a riveted spinning base plate. The whole body of this slicer is green with a "natural coloured" handle. A "G" clamp is part of the main frame to fasten the slicer onto a table/counter top (when in use).

Historical information

This large bean slicer was first manufactured in the late 1800's in England and exported to Australia. Due to the transportation costs it was not used in many Domestic kitchens. This slicer would have been in a kitchen of a higher socio/economic family within the Kiewa Valley. In the 1930's the manufacturer traded this slicer as "domestic labour-saving slicers". This was the beginning of new generation of the kitchen "gadget". The introduction of the Asian "gadget" manufacturer from the late 1950's saw English export diminish by the cheaper Asian products.

Significance

This item has great significance because it demonstrates that even "remote rural" locations, such as the Kiewa Valley in the early 1900s still were able to optain "state of the art" labour saving "kitchen" appliances. It was these English and European goods that were made "to last" which brought the mind set "British is best" This mindset was only altered by periods of Australian economic down turns and the cheap Asian product availability

Inscriptions & Markings

On the side of the handle and along the top plate "SPONG & Co Ltd" and opposite "BEAN SLICER" below this "No 633"

Button Hook - Folding - Clothing

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Silver metal oval surrounding a straight silver metal prong which has a hook at one end and, at the other end, is attached to the oval shape which comes in and extends as a short handle. The hook is hinged on to the oval shape enabling the hook to be pushed out creating a long tool for hooking buttons. May be used on clothing including gloves.

Historical information

Folding button hook would have been used for bringing buttons through button holes for clothing such as gloves in Victorian times. this item dates from early 1900s to 1930s.

Significance

Used by resident of the Kiewa Valley.

Meter Volt

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

This analog volt meter has two metal rods protruding from the "back" of instrument with screw on points for the negative and the positive leads allowing the "current" to flow across the calibrated resistors to indicate on the "face" side the strength of the voltage "power". The "face" of the instrument has a zero point and then five evenly graduated marks from Zero to the "100, 200 and 300" marked points of measures. A large "V" below these pointers indicates that they represent levels of voltage. Three small screws hold the "face" in place. At the back of the meter is an aluminium "clasp" with three protruding screws (positioning fasteners) and a a screw tightening fixture for the correct fastening of the "clasp" into the correction location on the meter "board".

Historical information

This analog voltmeter is quite a large (industrial type) apparatus which permits the easy monitoring of electrical variations within the large SEC Victoria Hydro Scheme's electrical generators. These generators are powered by the hydro force of "stored" water at a higher altitude. The establishment of both the NSW and Victorian Hydro schemes was achieved from the mid 1900's to the 1960's. At this point in time the need for additional power sources to quench both an industrial and domestic demand for electricity was purely an economic and not and environmental (carbon reduction) factor. This hydro scheme was instigated by "the Government of the day" as a bold move and was the major force of the World War II refugee and "technical" workforce inclusion of skilled and unskilled migration into the Australian environment. Although this mass "invasion" of workers with families was thought of in some circles as intrusive, the expansion of population post war years and its integration into the Australian rural sector, produced the multi- lingual multi-cultural diversity of later years.

Significance

This voltmeter is very significant to the Kiewa Valley as its use was introduced during the Kiewa Hydro Scheme. Although only a small apparatus it was part of the explosion of human resources into the valley. This influx of population transformed the region from that of a basically quiet rural region to one which evolved into both an industrial and a larger residential community. This evolution in the valley created a change, not only in the "physical" landscape but also the socio-economic expansion which permitted other "tourist" based industries into the valley.

Inscriptions & Markings

Manufacturer's logo "CSG" underneath "ITALIA"

Photo - Horse (Sir William Wallace) Belonging to the Fisher Family 1912

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Sepia photograph of horse, Sir William Wallace (displaying first prize ticket) owned by the Fisher family. Photo taken at Yackandandah show in 1912. Photo is mounted on a heavy cardboard frame.

Historical information

Horse, Sir William Wallace was awarded first place at the Yackandandah show in 1912. Horse was owned by the Fisher family who were dairy farmers in the Mongans Bridge area in the early 1900's

Significance

The Fisher family were very keen horse people and received awards for their horsemanship and their horses.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten on the back of photograph 'At Yackandandah Show' 1912

Card - Religious Award - The Lord shall guide thee continually

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Thick cardboard card with 2 holes at the top. String threaded through the holes for hanging. Card has photo of waterfall, red dirt and country on left and title printed in brown with white background on right. Possibly used as reward.

Historical information

Students attended Sunday School classes at the Kergunyah Presbyterian Church. Sunday school was held in a little 16 foot square wooden building which came from Rocky Valley after it was no longer needed there. Ewen Wallace's father initiated and organised the move. C2011 the building was knocked down because of white ants. The Presbyterian Church will be 125 years old in 2015.

Significance

Historical: Religious Education: This card was used as a reward for students who attended the Sunday School classes at Kergunyah Presbyterian Church. Religion: Presbyterian Church at Kergunyah, in the Kiewa Valley, celebrates its 125th anniversary in 2015 after being handed over to the Uniting church in the 1970s.

Inscriptions & Markings

"From the Presbyterian / Sunday School Kergunyah" written in pen on back of card

Bottle - Cordial

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Clear glass cordial bottle with straight sides half way up. Gently tapered with embossed vertical lines to the neck which continues tapering to the lip and screw top. Heavily embossed with print in capital letters around the circumference at the bottom.

Historical information

Cordial drinks came in bottles bought at the local grocery store or at a large city store on a shopping expedition. The shape of the bottles changed as did the stopper used to seal it. Bottles were re cycled remaining the property of the manufacturer. History of O. T. Ltd., Australia.

Significance

Historical: Change of bottles - shape, glass, stopper, embossing, use Aesthetic: Display showing embossing and shape.

Inscriptions & Markings

Around bottom: 'This Bottle Always (number '2' above Always) Remains the Property of O.T. Limited Australia' Base: Common Seal: 'A' with M in bottom half of A) - at top. Then across the middle - 'F1282' and 'M' underneath

Photo - Junction Dam Construction

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Black and white photograph of Junction Dam construction

Historical information

Junction (Lake Guy) Dam is a 'slab and buttress' type wall. A timber frame is built and then filled with concrete. The first batch of concrete was placed in September, 1940. By June, 1941 the buttresses were finished to a height safe from floods and in October of that year a flood of 2,800 cusecs occurred but with only slight damage to the installations. Industrial trouble caused some delays but there was also slow progress on the part of the contractor and the work was taken over by the S.E.C., terminating the contract. The dam was completed in March, 1944. A walkway was made through the dam wall. Lake Guy was named after Mr. L.T. Guy who was the Resident engineer, in charge of construction work and associated activities on the Kiewa Area from 1939 to November 1946

Significance

Photos of the construction of the Junction Dam detail the harsh conditions faced by construction workers, building dams and villages to accommodate workers in the 1940s to the 1950s. Australia at this period in time, experienced a surge of population (influx of World War II refugees), which was the catalyst for developing and undergoing an enormous hydroelectricity program for the Alpine regions, both in Victoria and New South Wales. This program was initiated to supply electricity to the major southern Australian cities of Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney. It was thought that these developments would reduce, if not eliminate, the requirement for coal driven power stations. However time has demonstrated that these power stations have not matched the demand required by the industries and the populations of the major urban and cities.

Book - English Reader - Victorian Reader Eighth Book

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

The book as a light brown material cover with black writing in front cover and spine.

Historical information

This is a form 2 or year 8 English book used for reading. This book would have been used in all schools over Victoria. It consists of assorted stories and poems. It has 260 pages

Significance

This has social and historical significance as it shows what students of the Kiewa Valley in the 1940's were reading in form 2 or in todays year 8. It was donated by the Davies family from Tawonga, and therefore has good interpretive capacity as it is part of a set of readers for primary and high school students. It is also good for research as a comparative tool to see what students learn now compaired to the 1940's

Inscriptions & Markings

There is a logo of the Victorian Education Department on the front cover. Also in writing "Second Edition" at bottom of front cover. The name G Davies Form 11a is on first inside page.

Photographs- Kiewa Valley House (before and after extensions) & Tawonga District General Hospital- Set of 6 colour photographs

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Set of 6 colour photographs of Kiewa Valley House and original Tawonga District General Hospital in Mt Beauty 1 Kiewa Valley House, before extensions, with old weatherboard hospital in background 2 & 3 Official opening of Kiewa Valley House. 4 & 5 Gardens between Kiewa Valley House and Hospital 5. Kiewa Valley lounge extension

Historical information

The establishment of Kiewa Valley House, was a significant victory for residents and senior citizens in the Kiewa Valley district. Plans were laid in the mid 1970’s and a proposal was formulated for a 12 bed unit nursing home to be attached to the Tawonga District General Hospital. The need for an aged care facility in Mount Beauty was prompted by recognition of the high ratio of senior citizens residing in the area. At the time residents had to travel to Beechworth, Wangaratta or Wodonga for care. On June 6th, 1980, an appeal to finance a 12 bed nursing wing was launched at a public meeting in Mount Beauty The Hospital and Charities Commission’s development board finally approved the application for government funds to build the 12 bed nursing home in early 1981. The official opening of the nursing home was on March 6th, 1985. Opening of the lounge extensions occurred in May, 1993

Significance

Many local residents have taken advantage of facilities at Kiewa Valley House when they became unable to manage independently in their own homes. This has meant they did not have to face the stress of leaving the area and being separated from their local family and friends. Many SEC workers and their families have been residents of Kiewa Valley House over the years.

Inscriptions & Markings

1. The original Kiewa Valley House, before extensions 2. No markings 3. No markings 4. View of the gardens between the weatherboard hospital and Kiewa Valley House 5. Walkway between Hospital & Kiewa Valley House 6. Kiewa Valley House Lounge Room extension

Flag C.W.A. - Mount Beauty CWA

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

This flag is made from dark green cloth and has the Country Womens Association of Victoria insignia embroidered on it in gold and white lettering.This insignia is contained in a circular motif.

Historical information

This flag was used by Country Women's Association (C.W.A) Kiewa Valley Branch circa 1950's. This was in a period when the C.W.A. was the major women's organisation which had the greatest influence amongst rural women (especially in isolated areas). This was a period when broad based communications were mainly by radio,women orientated magazines and the telephone. The CWA was an organisation that catered exclusively to country(rural) women's needs. The atmosphere was one of "sisterhood" and covered nearly all the needs of rural based women. This one organisation incorporated knowledge and learning targeting women who physically may be isolated but not mentally.

Significance

The Kiewa Valley Group of the C.W.A. was a focal point for women in this still relatively isolated rural region and the need to have a place of refuge from the heavy domestic demands that family and business exerted. It was place where the need of a time and space to gain all the mental relaxation and group bonding necessary to balance the sometimes harsh environment that rural life presented existed. The C.W.A. motto "Honour our God, Loyalty to the throne, Service to the country, Through country women, For country women, By country women."

Inscriptions & Markings

"C.W.A." (each letter layered over each other)

Papers - Edmondson's Hut

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Four A4 typed sheets on white paper - 1. Acknowledgement of transfer of Edmondson's Hut. 2. History of Visitors (to the hut) Prior to 1971. 3. Two poems. 4. One poem

Historical information

Edmondson's Hut is a cattleman's hut on the Bogong High Plains. Jim Edmondson obtained Run 33 (near Mt Nelse) in the early 1930s. He pre cut the timber at his property in Tawonga and along with iron for the walls, chimney and roof took it up to the Bogong High Plains on pack horse. The hut's wall and ceiling were lined and the hut had a 'fairly good floor and bunks'. In 1971 the hut was donated to the Education Department and was approved for transfer by the Lands Department in 1974. Bogong Outdoor School camp has been using the hut for students to camp in as well as National Fitness parties when walking in the area.

Significance

The upper Kiewa Valley was settled from the mid 1860s and from its earliest days cattle were taken on to the Bogong High Plains to graze during summer. Jim Edmondson took his cattle from the Kiewa Valley to Mt Fainter and later to Run 33, near Mt Nelse. His hut is significant in the history of Cattlemen's huts on the Bogong High Plains.

Inscriptions & Markings

1. Emblem of Education Dept. Centre top of page. Addressed to James Edmondson, Tawonga, Victoria. 2. Page headed History and Visitors prior 1971. 3. My Old black Poley Cow (and) Roper's Track. 4. So Long, Mates!

Box - Litmus Papers

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Small orange, black and white box containing six 'blue litmus test books'. Covered by clear plastic and opened at one end. One 'test book' accompanies the box.

Historical information

Litmus papers were used for medical purposes to test medical conditions.

Pin Hat

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

This hat pin has a yellow/amber glass ball head. It in is the same style to KVHS 0357 and KVHS 0359

Historical information

Historically this item represents women's fashion in the 1920s to 1950s. As the material used in the construction is not of a high monetary value it can be assumed it was a day to day working woman apparel to keep the hat firmly fastened into the hair. It does indicate that fashion of the time was important within the region

Significance

This item is a reflection of both the fashion mode of the 1920s to 1950s when long hair needed to be controlled by hair pins rather than later manufactured hair sprays. It is also an example of society's mores of tidiness and quasi religious beliefs of covering the hair and head when outdoors

Book - Non Fiction History - The Kiewa Story

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

This hard covered book has a green cover with pictures on the front and back covers. The front cover has a coloured picture of a snow covered Mount Bogong taken from the opposite mountain range. The valley between both ranges has a whisk of mist over it. At the bottom of this picture are three black and white photographs covering the construction of the Kiewa Hydro - Electricity Scheme. On the back cover is a photograph, (black and white) detailing the Bogong village and Junction dam containing lake Guy. The inside front cover is a black and white photograph which details the construction of the West Kiewa tailrace tunnel during April 1951. The inside back cover is a black and white photograph of the concrete pour at the Clover Dam circa 1952. All photographs and sketches are in black and white. The pages are approximately 160 g/m2 and those which have photographs are on gloss paper.

Historical information

This book provides in chronological order the development of the Kiewa Hydro-electricity scheme from the first concept (1911) to final construction work (1961). It covers the first attempt to utilise the power of the Victorian Alps water system. It started from a private syndicate and developed to the current State Electricity Commission of Victoria. The incentive for the Hydro scheme was to make money and not as an alternative to the carbon producing coal fired power plants. These coal fired power plants were increasing in numbers to service an ever increasing demand made by population expansion, especially in cities and large rural settlements. This demand spiraled up after World War II when there was a tremendous spike in immigration numbers due to refugees and displaced persons in Europe. The ability to utilise the untapped water provided by the winter snow fields, for a higher yield in electricity, was a powerful incentive to overcome the physical hardships in this remote Alpine region. Future power requirements may initiate the re-installation of the other two power stations(Pretty Valley and Big Hill) covered in original Scheme.

Significance

This publication not only covers the development of the Kiewa Valley region with respect to population (within a socio-economical framework) but also the subtle but yet strong physical changes of a relatively pristine alpine region. The demands that an ever growing regional population places on the environment is clearly documented in print and black and white photographs. The working and living conditions of those who constructed and gave life to this hydro scheme is well documented in this book. It may be viewed as spartan now but was relevantly good at that moment in time, especially for those workers fleeing a devastated European environment. The successful planning and consideration to minimising any intrusion upon the natural alpine forests and high plains can viewed as an example (compared to the Tasmanian Hydro schemes) of how future hydro schemes (an inevitable requirement) will proceed. Most rural towns (in the early 1900s) were built by unencumbered rural based citizens, with the exception of Mount Beauty and Falls Creek. These two settlements were brought into life by a State (Victorian) Authority for a specific function and program. They were a gated community, that is, only open to construction workers involved with the hydro scheme. All facilities within these communities were provided by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria. The impact on the social, financial and individual independency of the community, by the transition from the S.E.C .environment to one of local government (Shire of Bright), had in some cases a severe impact.

Inscriptions & Markings

Book spine: "The Kiewa Story Graham Napier Geoff Easdown" alongside this is a white framed circle with white spokes radiating out and underneath in white lettering SEC

Photograph – Set of 3 black and white photographs of Bogong Village circa late 1930's - 1940's during early construction of Lake Guy ( in the foreground)

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

3 black and white photographs of the Bogong camp area showing the clearing of trees for the construction of the Junction Dam and Lake Guy. Some administration buildings have been constructed, but part of the tent camp can be seen to the right of the photograph in front of the buildings.

Historical information

In 1940 Field Headquarters for the Kiewa Scheme were established at Bogong with office, workshop facilities and accommodation for workmen, staff and some families constructed. (There had been a 'tent camp' on this site in 1939 but was destroyed by bush fires) Construction of accommodation continued until 1947. A total of 40 houses plus a hostel for single staff, post office, police station, medical centre and primary school all with water and sewerage and electricity supply. The staff hostel was known as Kiewa House and is now occupied by the Education Department. Lake Guy was named after Mr. L.T. Guy who was the Resident Engineer in charge of construction work and associated activities on the Kiewa area. He held this position from 1939 to November 1946 when he was transferred to Head Office.

Significance

The Bogong Township was developed firstly as an accommodation centre (base camp) for construction workers employed under the Kiewa Hydroelectric Scheme. Due to the influx of European workers into the Township the beautification of the immediate surrounds (gardens etc.) had a distinct European flavour. This environment has been very beneficial for tourism in later years. At the completion of the scheme, in the 1960's, the village was opened to public/tourism use. Strict environmental control has not allowed for any extensive redevelopment in tourist accommodation and basically restricted it to the accommodation initially built for the construction workers. Activities such a bike riding, snow skiing, restricted horse riding and bush walking on the Alpine plains and mountains are now a viable part of the Kiewa Valley Tourist Industry. The lake is one of the many water storage reservoirs used to supply the power stations their main power to run the huge turbines generating the final product, electricity

Box - Gauze

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Top lid of cardboard box with yellow label with black writing inside a red black red border. In the centre of the label is a red flag with a white cross in the middle and in the middle of the cross is a 'G'. This box contained White Absorbent Gauze.

Historical information

This medical / hospital bandage was used in the Tawonga District General Hospital which was built in the 1950's specifically for the increase in population due to the Kiewa Hydro Scheme.

Significance

Historical: Shows the difference in labelling of hospital equipment. Good condition and good interpretation capacity.

Inscriptions & Markings

Label: 'Quality / B.P.C. / White /Absorbent Gauze / (Plaited) sic / (Around the flag) - 'and / Flag Cross / Brand / 1 /yard / Specially Prepared for / Surgical Dressings / 36 inches wide.'

Booklet - Kiewa Valley Consolidated School - Kiewa Valley Consolidated School 1953 - 1974

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

Five A4 photocopied pages of a yellow and black booklet including the first 9 pages.

Historical information

Kiewa Valley Consolidated School was established in 1953 combining Dederang North, Kergunyah, Gundowring, Kiewa, Gundowring Upper, Red Bluff, Charleroi and Gundowing North schools on a 10 acre site with 11 rooms at Kiewa.

Significance

The above schools are in the Kiewa Valley. The date and number of combined schools give insight into the change in population and families in the Kiewa Valley before and after 1953.

Photographs x 2 - Clover Dam

Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty

1. Black and white photograph of Clover Dam under construction. Has a .5cm white border around photo 2. Black and white photograph of Clover Dam under construction showing workmen at work. Has a .5cm white border around photo

Historical information

As part of the push to cut electricity costs and diversify supply, the Victorian Government (circa 1930) implemented the conversion strategy from mainly brown coal supply to hydro - electricity. The Kiewa Hydroelectric Scheme became the largest scheme of its kind in the State Of Victoria and the second largest scheme in Australia. Clover Dam and Power Station were built by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria as part of the Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme from the late 1930's to the early 1940's. This dam was constructed to supply water to feed four turbines (62 mega watts) at the West Kiewa Power Station. This was at the forefront of sustainable "Green" energy. Costs associated with power supplies is still a major incentive of governments, however environmentally friendly alternatives such as wind and nuclear have also made inroads.

Significance

The Kiewa valley and its surrounding alpine catchment were looked at(Victorian State Government), from the beginning of the twentieth century as a source of alternate power for an ever-increasing demand for electricity by growing population and heavy industrial areas within Melbourne City and State regions. Construction of dams, such as Clover Dam provided the large quantity holding areas of water required to turn the turbines at the various power stations to provide the electricity needed. The impact of these controls by moderating water run-off from the alpine regions is beneficial in reducing flooding from thawing of snow on the alps. This by-product allows agriculture and grazing to be less vulnerable to seasonal flooding thereby resulting in a more stable annual production level. Photographs also document early engineering and building techniques used in the construction of dams and power stations during the 1940’s and 1950’s. Note the lack of safety equipment and suitable work attire worn by construction workers on the sites

Inscriptions & Markings

Written in pencil on back of both photographs - Clover Dam