From the Collection of Blacksmith's Cottage and Forge 100 Main Street Bacchus Marsh Victoria
- Square white beaded jug cover in ecru colored cotton. Crocheted central bird pattern with triangular pattern top and bottom. White beads attached on perimeter.
- 21 cm x 21 cm
- lace, ellen brown, milk, crochet, jug cover, home duties, blue wren, beads
- Covers were used to place over a jug to keep insects out of the liquid (usually milk). This sort of item was used in days before refrigeration. It also demonstrated womens ability to make items for the home.
- Early to mid 20th century
- Ellen Brown (Maker)
- Part of Ellen Brown collection. Ellen Brown lived her whole life in Bacchus Marsh - she died aged 103 in 2007. She never married and excelled at home duties, eg., needlework, cooking. She won prizes at local shows for cakes, jam making, and preserves. She was a well known identity in the town.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:10AM