Used by William Learmonth Esq., Chairman, Portland Municipal Council, to lay the foundation stone for the Portland Town Hall, 21st September 1863
Silver Towel, engraved with decoration and inscription. Bone handle. In leather case, lined on the inner base with blue velvet, and inside the lid with cream silk. The leather case has two brass hinges and a small brass clasp.
Inscriptions & markings
Engraved on face of trowel "PRESENTED / by the / MUNICIPAL COUNCIL / of / PORTLAND/ To / William Learmonth, Esq / their Chairman / on the occasion of his laying / the FOUNDATION STONE of / the / COUNCIL CHAMBER / 21st September, 1863". On reverse - 4 hallmarks, letter "BJ", number "551" and "(indeciperable maker's name) & Co / MELBOURNE"