Newspaper Article - Slater Gives Up Trophy
From the Collection of Australian National Surfing Museum 77 Beach Road Surf City Plaza Surfcoast Highway Torquay Victoria
- Feature newspaper article by Kyle Pollard in the Geeelong Advertiser on 6th May 2010. Includes colour photograph of Kelly Slater being 'painted up' by Aboriginal dancer at Bells Beach.
- H19cm x W28cm
- bells beach, kelly slater, reconciliation, 2010 rip curl pro, wathaurong aboriginal cooperative, bells trophy
- World surfing champion Kelly Slater won a record 4th Bells Beach Surfing Contest in April 2010. He promptly donated his Bell trophy to the Aboriginal people of Geelong and the Surf Coast in appreciation of their support over the years.
- Geelong Advertiser (News paper Publisher)
- National and international significance from a sporting and cultural reconciliation perspective. Only two surfers have won 4 Bells contests. Slater's donation of his 4th Bell to the local Indigenous community is a rare act of reconciliation and personal generosity.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:08AM