A Map drawn in 1852 that shows the 5,120 acres that formed Dendy's Special Survey of 1841. In 1840 Henry Dendy, a farmer in Surrey, England acquired a "Special Survey" from the Commissioners for Land and Emigration which gave Dendy the right to choose land in Port Phillip for the "bargain basement" price of only £1 per acre for 5120 acres, (an area of 8 square miles). The Special Survey also included the right to "the shipment of a worker for every £20 spent on land, whose free passage was paid by the Crown, equalling a total of 100 workers ". Accordingly Dendy sold his English holdings and paid the required £5120 and arrived in Melbourne in February 1841. However by this time land in the new colony was selling for £5 - £40 per acre. Because Henry Dendy possessed the order from the Colonial Office in London he was able to successfully oppose Governor LaTrobe's attempts to alter the price of the land. Dendy appointed Jonathan Were, (an entrepreneur, who had arrived in 1839), as his Manager and who later became a partner. Together, Dendy and Were decided on an area 5 miles south from Melbourne, bounded by North Road, East Boundary Road, South Road and to the west by Port Phillip Bay. Were and Dendy pitched their tents in the area now known as ' Park St, Brighton' and sank a well near the corner of 'St Andrew's St and Wells St'. By 1845 J.B Were and Company had bought almost half of Dendy's land and Were built himself "Moorabbin House" in Were St Brighton made from stone, quarried from local cliffs. It was still standing in 1924. Legend records Moorabbin is named after the Aboriginal word for ' Mother's Milk ' The soil is very fertile and well supplied with water especially in the area called 'East Brighton' - now known as Bentleigh and East Bentleigh - By 1850 the area had developed with numerous market gardens, dairy farms, fruit gardens and vineyards supplying food for the growing population of Melbourne.
This Map shows the birth of the Brighton and Moorabbin area. On 18th January1859 Brighton was proclaimed a Municipality and a Borough by October 1863.
Meanwhile, following a Petition, the area of East and South Brighton, incorporating Mordialloc, Cheltenham, Mentone, Sandringham and Oakleigh separated from Brighton to form the Moorabbin District Roads Board becoming the first Local Government Authority. Col. William Mair was elected as the first Chairman of the Moorabbin Roads Board. Moorabbin Shire 1871 developed further and was declared a City in1934. The City of Moorabbin was the largest Municipality in Melbourne before the Amalgamation of Councils in 1994 when it was divided in the south to City of Kingston and in the north to City of Glen Eira
A Photo-lithographed 1852 Map showing the 5,120 acres that formed Dendy's Special Survey of 1841. Henry Dendy & Jonathan Were chose an area 5 miles south from Melbourne, bounded by North Road, East Boundary Road, South Road and to the west by Port Phillip Bay.
Inscriptions & markings
Moorabbin County of Bourke / Photo-Lithographed at the department of Lands and Survey. /Melbourne. / Price 1/-