Stories Organisations Projects About Login

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum) Ormond, Victoria

The Box Cottage Museum houses a collection that reflects the life of residents in the Moorabbin Area from pre-settlement of Brighton, Parish of Moorabbin, County of
Bourke in 1841 through the establishment of The Moorabbin Roads Board 1862 to the City of Moorabbin 1934 -94.The City of Moorabbin Historical Society was founded in 1960. and is a small not-for-profit organisation devoted to preserving the history of the former City of Moorabbin. It exists for the benefit of the public, as much as for its members. Among other activities, it acts as the custodian of Box Cottage Museum, allowing the cottage and its exhibits to be open for inspection by the public. The society maintains a library of the area's history, and generally acts as a resource for members of the community with an interest in local history. New members and visitors are most welcome.

Contact Information

location
CMHS PO Box 4028 McKinnon Victoria 3204 (map)
phone
+61 03 9557 4642; 0431 145 231

Contact

Opening Hours

2pm - 4pm Last Sunday of the month & by appointment

Entry Fee

Gold Coin Donation

Location

Joyce Park Jasper Road Ormond Victoria

View on Google Maps

The City of Moorabbin Historical Society was formed in 1960 by a group of residents concerned for the preservation of the historical legacy of the district and is the custodian of the 'Box Cottage' Museum. The museum is a re-production cottage of an actual 1840s local pioneer's cottage; it does include some of the original fittings, such as convict bricks, window frames and doors. The museum houses an eclectic collection of interesting historical artefacts collected from the surrounding districts, including such items as historical photos, local land sale advertisements, vintage agricultural implements, tools, clothing, domestic items, linen, lace, furniture and artefacts reflecting an era long past. The museum provides an enjoyable learning experience for both children and adults, and also gives them a glimpse into life before the advent of electricity and supermarkets particularly in the suburbs of Ormond, Bentleigh, Moorabbin, Highett and Cheltenham. In the grounds there is also a collection of agricultural implements, and a wheelway cart resting on a length of original steel plateway. Visitors are most welcome to browse folios of historic photos as well as a good library of books relating to local history.

Significance

The 'Box Cottage Museum' contains a diverse collection of artefacts that provides a comprehensive historical view of the settlement of the area from the 1841 Dendy Special Survey of Land, through the establishment of the Market Gardens c1850, up to the Land Sales and housing development Post World War2. The reconstructed Pioneer Cottage displays early settler life, development of local industry and photography of events and prominent people from the vast
Moorabbin Area .

Joan Moore 12 April 2013 11:11 PM

Emily I have asked about the original colour of the Mangle but have no definite answer. 'Heritage green' has been put on parts of our Mangle to protect it from rust. I hope to get another photo onto site soon. Joan

Joan Moore 7 July 2013 9:05 PM

Thank you Lucy for your observation. I have checked the Teapot and the lid has indeed a different pattern. I have asked members of Historical Society if they know the Donor of this item or information about the items and am waiting for their response. Joan Moore

Joan Moore 29 July 2013 11:45 PM

Thank you for that information Arthur. I think it would be rather hard work pushing the agitator up and down amongst the washing.

Joan Moore 19 October 2013 9:19 PM

Thank you Geoff for this information Dennis will contact you.

Joan Moore 19 October 2013 9:21 PM

Sorry Jeff Joan

joan 24 May 2015 1:03 PM

Hello Fiona, all our artefacts were donated c1960 I do not know if they still make them or if they have any value other than historical.

Joan Moore 26 May 2015 9:26 PM

Hello Margaret, Thank you for your enquiry. All our artefacts were donated and we do not have any valuations.

Joan Moore 26 May 2015 9:44 PM

Hello Stephen, Thank you for your comments unfortunately we have no photographs of that site.

Linda Jones 10 July 2015 9:58 AM

Hello I have some old Bentleigh Club (Yawla Street Bentleigh) annual magazines which my father had collected as he was President for many years..Pat Chaundy was his name. It was a very important part of the landscape for decades. I think the Melbourne Football Club now own it but I know it was an historical home in the day. The booklets have lot of interesting ads in them for retailers etc around the area. I have a box full of them and was wondering if you would like them. Please email me if you are interested in adding them to your library. Regards Linda Jones

Carol 13 July 2015 11:17 PM

Linda can you please contact Box Cottage on the Victorian Collections Site ( email query and I will get back to you) re - the Bentleigh Club papers.

Joan Moore 19 June 2016 10:13 PM

Marylou we have no stock. All artefacts were donated by residents of the City of Moorabbin Joan Moore

Kathryn 21 September 2016 10:15 AM

Hello I purchased a marriage certificate from 1854 and couldnt make out the residence. I finally found out it is Two Acre Village. It fits in with other family members being in the area

Leave a comment

1041 items

1041 items

Tools, Coping saw

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A coping saw with wooden handle but no blade

Historical information

A coping saw is a type of hand saw used to cut intricate external shapes and interior cutouts in woodworking or carpentry. It is widely used to cut mouldings to create coped rather than miter joints. It is occasionally used to create fretwork though it is not able to match a fretsaw in intricacy of cut, particularly in thin materials. Coping saw blades are always thicker and much coarser cutting than typical fretsaw blades. A coping saw consists of a thin, hardened steel blade, stretched between the ends of a square, c-shaped, springy-iron frame to which a handle is attached. The blade is easily removed from the frame so that the blade can be passed through a drilled hole in the middle of a piece of wood. The frame is then re-attached to the blade and the cut starts from the middle of the piece. Long cuts perpendicular to the edge of the material are possible but the shallow depth of the frame rather limits how far from the edge one may cut. The much deeper frame of the fretsaw is more useful for cutting well away from the edge but conversely cannot manage the thicker materials commonly cut by the coping saws. The coping saw blade is installed with the teeth pointing towards the handle. Unlike a hacksaw, which has the teeth pointed away from the handle, the coping saw cuts on the pull stroke. The coping saw blade is removable by partially unscrewing the handle. The blade is prevented from rotating by means of the short, steady bar provided where the blade is attached. Loosening the handle also allows the blade to be rotated relative to the frame as desired. Carefully aligning the finger steady bars at the top and bottom of the blade ensures that the thin blade is straight and not twisted along its length. Re-tightening the handle tensions the blade and locks it at the desired angle relative to the frame. The short steady bar nearest the handle is held securely between finger and thumb while the handle is tightened to ensure the blade remains at the desired angle. Unlike the fretsaw the coping saw blade has holding pins which lock securely into the angled slots of the rotatable blade holders. Gentle curves are achieved by slowly turning the whole frame by means of the handle while continuing to cut steadily.

Jewellery, pearl necklace

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A lady's pearl necklace and 1 earring in a hinged, lined, cream Bakelite case .

Historical information

It is thought that natural pearls form under a set of accidental conditions when a microscopic intruder or parasite enters a bivalve mollusc and settles inside the shell. The mollusc, irritated by the intruder, forms a pearl sac of external mantle tissue cells and secretes the calcium carbonate and conchiolin to cover the irritant. This secretion process is repeated many times, thus producing a pearl. Natural pearls come in many shapes, with perfectly round ones being comparatively rare. In general, cultured pearls are less valuable than natural pearls, whereas imitation pearls have almost no value. Cultured freshwater pearls can often be confused for natural pearls Cultured pearls are the response of the shell to a tissue implant. A tiny piece of mantle tissue (called a graft) from a donor shell is transplanted into a recipient shell, causing a pearl sac to form into which the tissue precipitates calcium carbonate. Some imitation pearls (also called shell pearls) are simply made of mother-of-pearl, coral or conch shell A strand of pearls called a princess length, 43 to 48 cm in length, comes down to or just below the collarbone. A graduated strand of pearls most often has at least 3 mm of differentiation from the ends to the centre of the necklace.

Photograph, B&W, Anna Box 1849 - 1919

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A black and white photograph of Anna Box 1849-1919

Historical information

Anna Box 1849- 1919 was born in Withyham, Sussex England had her 7th birthday en route from Liverpool to Australia. George Box 1808-1867 of Sussex England, married Mary Cripps in 1831 and with 3 three of their 4 four sons and 3 three of their 4 four daughters left Liverpool in the Sailing Ship 'Atlanta' in March 1856 to begin a new life in Melbourne, Victoria , Australia. Their baby daughter Cecilia Lydia died a few days later. Caroline Box, the eldest daughter, remained in England working as a cook until she joined the family in Australia in 1863. William Box 1834-1902, the eldest son of George Box, married Elizabeth Avis 1833- 1914 and they resided in Box Cottage 1865 -1914 where they established a market garden and raised 13 children. William and Elizabeth had emigrated in 1854 so George worked on their market garden before setting up in Patterson Road. Sadly Mary drowned in a water hole only 4 months after their arrival in Brighton. It is supposed that Elizabeth helped George raise the children while he established his market garden. George died from Tetanus following an infected broken leg caused by falling from his dray in 1867. Anna was a dressmaker and in 1881 she married Henry Pay , a painter, from London and they had 3 children . In 1907 the family lived on a 30acre property in Ringwood. which Anna bequeathed to her children. – Beatrice, Norman and Laura. In 1911 they moved to Surrey Hills where Anna died in 1919. Henry died in 1935 in Montrose where he was living with his son Norman Henry Pay, a farmer .

Significance

Box Cottage Museum, a reconstruction of an early settler hut, is named after the Box family who resided there 1865 -1913 . William Box who, with his wife Elizabeth Avis Box and 13 children, lived and farmed on the block of land in Jasper Road, East Brighton ( now McKinnon / Ormond) that was part of the Henry Dendy Special Survey 1841. George Box 1808-1867 migrated in 1856 and worked with his son William Box until he established a market garden in Patterson Rd . East Brighton ( now Bentleigh). Anna Box –Pay was the 3rd daughter of George and Mary Box.

Inscriptions & Markings

nil

Newsletter, City of Moorabbin Historical Society Feb 2011 - February 2011

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

5 x A4 paper printed on 1 side Issue 20 of the bi-monthly, City of Moorabbin Historical Society Newsletter produced by Society member and Secretary, Mrs Helen Stanley in February 2011. Notice for meeting February 27th and the Subscription $5 is due. Despite the recent heavy rain the Cottage and grounds were unaffected, however an possum / rat appears to have entered the Cottage via the Chimney and caused the breakage of 2 glass kerosene lamps that were on the mantelpiece and lots of droppings before escaping. Teresa Murphy, editor of ‘The Moorabbin Leader’ Newspaper, visited Box Cottage and discussed a proposed regular feature ‘Down Memory Lane’. Volunteers are requested for Open Days, and are reminded of the Visitors’ Book, Children’s Treasure Hunt Cards and the Volunteer Hours Record. Accompanying it is the Story of Daniel MacKinnon b Glasgow arrived Port Phillip 1839 died 1889, his son Donald MacKinnon b 1859 Terang, Victoria – 1932 and Laughlan MacKinnon b1817 Isle of Skye -1888 no relation to either

Historical information

The City of Moorabbin Historical Society was formed c 1960 by a group of Moorabbin residents who were concerned that the history of the area should be preserved. A good response to a call for items related to the historical area of Moorabbin Shire brought donations of a wide variety of artefacts which are now preserved by the current members of CMHS at Box Cottage Museum . Helen Stanley, Secretary of CMHS, began producing a Newsletter for members in April 2007 to provide current information and well researched items of historical interest

Significance

Helen Stanley has produced a bi-monthly Newsletter, 2007 - 2013, for the members of the City of Moorabbin Historical Society that contains well researched interesting historical items, notification of upcoming events, current advice from Royal Australian Historical Society , Museums Australia Victoria and activities of Local Historical Societies. The Newsletter is an important record of the activities of the CMHS and this month Celebrates the 50th Anniversary of CMHS. The puzzle around the naming of the suburb McKinnon tells the story of Daniel, Donald and Laughlin MacKinnon.

Inscriptions & Markings

CITY of MOORABBIN HISTORICAL SOCIETY / FEBRUARY 2011 NEWSLETTER

Library Book Tommy Bent - Tommy Bent 'Bent by name Bent by nature' by Dr. Margaret Glass

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A medium sized soft cover white book with Tommy Bent depicted as a satirical crowing rooster on the front cover and a black and white photo of "The Tommy Bent Statue"with text by the author on the back cover.

Historical information

This book depicts the role Tommy Bent played in local politics and Victorian politics his role as a Rate Collector in Brighton and how he used this role for personal gain and how he used his manipulative skills on Victorian politics. He made a vast fortune through land booms as well as great financial losses.

Inscriptions & Markings

On the inside front cover is a stamped inscription "City of Moorabbin Historical Society"

Manufactured Glass, brown bottle 'AMOSAN'

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A brown glass bottle with a metal screw top containing a small amount of powder. 'AMOSAN'

Historical information

Amosan is an oral wound cleanser manufactured in Belgium and sold under the Oral-B brand, belonging to Procter & Gamble after its recent acquisition of Gillette (2005). It is used to aid in the prevention of as well as speed the recovery from canker sores, denture irritation, orthodontic irritation, and oral injuries or after dental procedures. It is distributed in a powdered form that requires reconstitution with warm water, after which it is used as a mouth rinse. It is customarily packaged in 1.7 g envelopes and sold in boxes of 20 packets each. Active ingredient: Sodium perborate monohydrate 1.2 g Oral-B discontinued manufacture c 2011

Inscriptions & Markings

Front label : AMOSAN / For the treatment of / GINGIVITIS / BLEEDING GUMS / AND FOR THE RELIEF OF / THE IRRITATION OF / SORE THROAT / ECONOMY SIZE / MADE IN AUSTRALIA FOR / THE KNOX DRUG COMPANY / DISTRIBUTORS / MELBOURNE SYDNEY

Clothing, baby's nightgown

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A white, cotton, baby's first nightgown with hand embroidery.

Historical information

This cotton, baby's first nightgown with hand embroidery is an example of the dressmaking skills of the women of the families of the pioneer settlers and market gardeners of the Moorabbin Shire.

Significance

The Maggs family were early settlers in the Moorabbin Shire. The pioneer settlers and market gardeners of Moorabbin Shire had to be self reliant and made their own clothing and utensils. This is one of many items that exhibit the skill and craftsmanship of the women in these families.

Manufactured Objects, 2x buckles white metal

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

2 x rectangular white metal buckles

Newsletter, City of Moorabbin Historical Society No. 3 October 1961 - City of Moorabbin Historical Society Newsletter No 3 August 1961

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

2 x pages Foolscap paper printed on 1 side.

Historical information

This is No 3 of the Newsletter produced by CMHS President in October 1961 The Aims of the CMHS are ‘to record the history of the City, and register something of the Australian Atmosphere, which the necessary speed-up in post-world-war two (WW11) immigration has caused to be lost; to produce a magazine at regular intervals, featuring the work of pioneers and the changing Australian scene; to work constantly with a long range view towards building a hall where records and exhibits can be housed’ The Original Newsletters reflect the history and heritage of the former City of Moorabbin — derived from Mooroobin, ‘a resting place’ in the Bunurrung spoken language. In 1994, the City of Moorabbin was integrated into the Cities of Bayside, Glen Eira, Kingston and Monash.

Significance

This is Vol. 3 of the Newsletter of CMHS October 1961 CMHS obtained a Kingston City Council Community Grant 2016 for the digitalization and preservation of these Original CMHS Newsletters commenced in 1961

Inscriptions & Markings

CITY OF MOORABBIN HISTORICAL / SOCIETY / NEWSLETTER No 3 / October 1961 / ( affiliated with the Royal Historical Society of Victoria).

Containers, 2 x tins 'Welcome Nugget' flake tobacco

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

2 tins a) circular and b) rectangular with lift off lids that contained 'Welcome Nugget' flake cut tobacco made by T.C Williams Co.

Historical information

Thomas C Williams 1831 -89, Richmond Virginia USA. 1850 he formed a partnership with R.A. Patterson in a tobacco business which was very successful. The British-American Tobacco Company, Ltd., was established in 1902 by an agreement between the Imperial Tobacco Co. of Great Britain and its rivals, the American Tobacco Co. and its associates. The headquarters was located in London, England, and the office at 111 5th Ave. in New York City handled the purchase of leaf and manufacturing in the U. S. In 1903 the company acquired the formerly independent export businesses of the T. C. Williams Co., David Dunlop, and the Cameron family who were then the largest exporters of manufactured tobacco. T.C.Williams Co had been in existence for fifty years, and its export business in chewing tobacco amounted to nearly 5,000,000 pounds of tobacco a year.

Inscriptions & Markings

Top of Lid ; T.C WILLIAMS Co. / WELCOME NUGGET / FLAKE / CUT / TOBACCO. around lid WELCOME NUGGET FLAKE CUT HERMETICALLY SEALED. on base High / Grade / TOBACCO /Packed in a round airtight / tin to preserve the / original fine flavour / and to ensure / perfect condition / 2 0zs. NETT Factory weight / when packed.

Manufactured objects, safety matches Bryant & May Ltd

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A box of safety matches with unused matches made by Bryant & May Pty Ltd , Richmond Victoria Australia. The tray containing the matches slides inside the open ended cover.. The striking patch is on both sides of the cover.

Historical information

Bryant and May was a United Kingdom (UK) company created in the mid-nineteenth century specifically to make matches. Their original Bryant and May Factory was located in Bow, London. They later opened other match factories in the United Kingdom and Australia, such as the Bryant and May Factory, Melbourne; and owned match factories in other parts of the world.Bryant and May survived as an independent company for over seventy years, but went through a series of mergers with other match companies and later with consumer products companies. To protect its position Bryant and May merged with or took over its rivals. In 1971 the Northern Ireland factory, Maguire & Patterson closed down following a terrorist attack.. In the 1980s, factories in Gloucester and Glasgow closed too leaving Liverpool as the last match factory in the UK, until December 1994. The former Australian match factory, in Melbourne, closed in the mid-1980s. The registered trade name Bryant and May still exists and it is owned by Swedish Match, as are many of the other registered trade names of the other, formerly independent, companies within the Bryant and May group. The British match brands continue to survive, as brands of Swedish Match, and are made outside the UK. Matches were first produced by Bryant & May in Australia in 1909. The Redhead name applies to the red striking heads of the matches which were introduced to Australia in 1946. The logo on the matchbox depicted the head and shoulder of a redheaded woman and has had four major updates since that time with a number of special issues depicting animals, birds and notable persons also produced

Significance

The Bryant & May Ltd factory in Church St Richmond is a listed building and has been converted to apartments following the closure of the Company 1980. Bryant & May's Ltd were influential in fighting against the dreadful disease known as Phossy jaw which was caused by white phosphorus used in the manufacture of the early matches. They were also the object of the 'Match Girls Strike' in London 1888, which won important improvements in working conditions and pay for the mostly female workforce working with the dangerous white phosphorus. The public were slow to purchase these safety matches because of the higher price .

Inscriptions & Markings

PREVENT FIRES/ BRYANT & MAY'S / a crown in an oval shape / SAFETY MATCHES/ MOTORISTS USE ASHTRAY/ AV. CONTENTS 60 / Made in Australia

Ornaments, china basket

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

Cream china basket with red rose

Clothing, boy's first underpants.

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

White, cotton underwear for a 2 year old boy. Made at home on a sewing machine with hand feather stitching and factory-made guipure lace on leg-bands. Buttons at waist, and a tuck pleat to let down as child grows.

Historical information

These white cotton underpants were made for Mr Geoff Maggs by his mother in 1907 as his first underwear at age 2 years old. The Maggs family were early settlers in the Moorabbin Shire

Significance

The pioneer settlers and market gardeners of Moorabbin Shire had to be self reliant and made their own clothing and utensils. This is one of many items that exhibit the skill and craftsmanship of the women in these families.

Document , photocopy of Steerage Passenger Ticket 1912

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A photocopy of a Steerage Passenger’s Contract Ticket for Louisa Larner and her children Herbert aged 5 and May aged 2 aboard the British Steam-ship ‘Australind ‘ departing Tilbury England March 20th for Fremantle, Australia. a) front of ticket b) enlargement of a section of the ticket

Historical information

'Australind' steam ship built 1904 by C. Connell & Co. Ltd., Glasgow .1928 sold to France renamed Colbert, 1933 sold renamed Scandinavia, 1934 scrapped at Savona.In the 1880s Trinder, Anderson & Co. joined Charles Bethell and started operating a twice monthly service from Great Britain to Fremantle and Albany. In 1886 Trinder, Anderson & Bethell started a steamer service called the West Australian Steam Navigation Co. at London. Their first steamer was given the name AUSTRALIND. In 1904 Bethell, Gwyn & Trinder, Anderson formed the Australind Steam Shipping Co.The new company was involved in the transport of emigrants. In 1912 the company owned five ships. During World War I the company lost four of its six ships. In World War II the company lost two ships. In the 1970s the company withdrew from the liner services and started hiring ships to other companies. The last cargo ship was disposed off in 1981 / 1982.

Significance

John Herron was a descendant of Philip Jones , a chair-maker, who settled in the area of East Brighton, now Bentleigh, in 1852 The ‘Australind’ steam ship brought migrants from England to Australia 1904 - 1926

Inscriptions & Markings

a) No 132 Berth No, 47 & half 48 / Australind Steam Shipping Company Limited / TO WESTERN AUSTRALIA / central flying flag with a black swan on a white cross -/ JOINT MANAGERS/ TRINDER ANDERSON & CO., l BETHELL, GWWYN & CO., BALTIC HOUSE LEADENHALL STREET EC. 22 BILLITER STREET, EC. STEERAGE PASSENGER’S CONTRACT TICKET / ( NOT TRANSFERRABLE ) / The British Steam-ship “Australind” of 5,563 Tons Register, to take in Passengers / at the Port of London ( TILBURY) for FREMANTLE, on the twentieth day of March 1912 Signed W I Moore dated 30Jan1912 paid £18 Larner Louisa age 32 adult1 / do Herbert age 5 adult ½ / do May age 2 adult ½ written on ticket b) photocopy enlargement of a section of the ticket showing names and signatures

Document. Certificate of General Nursing 1919 Mary Maggs

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

Certificate of General Nursing 1919 of Mary B Maggs

Historical information

Mary B. Maggs was the daughter of pioneer George Maggs who settled in Cheltenham

Significance

Mary Maggs was the daughter of a Cheltenham pioneer family and obtained sufficient education to achieve General Nurse Registration

Inscriptions & Markings

The Royal Victorian Trained Nurses Association / CERTIFICATE FOR GENERAL NURSING / Signed by President, Member of Council, Secretary

Newsletter, CMHS Moorabbin Mirror Issue 14 April 2018 - CMHS Moorabbin Mirror Newsletter Issue 14 April 2018

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A4 x 1 paper folded to A5 x 4pp printed both sides

Historical information

This is Issue 14 of the Moorabbin Mirror produced by CMHS members Fran & Holger Bader , Geoffrey Paterson, April 2018 The Moorabbin Mirror reflects the history and heritage of the former City of Moorabbin — derived from Mooroobin, ‘a resting place’ in the Bunurrung spoken language. In 1994, the City of Moorabbin was integrated into the Cities of Bayside, Glen Eira, Kingston and Monash. Topics : ANZAC display, Alonzo Box, 1914 HMAT A20 HORORATA, B Company 6th Battalion 2nd Brigade; Box Cottage grounds flooded by leaking tank Bowls Club 26th Dec ; Barn repairs, Barn storage; Filing Cabinets Inventory; GECC International Women's Day Biographies of 3 local women; GECC Alnutt Park March 18th promotion BCM; Welcome new BCM Volunteer Guides; KCC Network HS meeting; KCC Award Dr G Whitehead; KCC farm machinery preservation; FAHS funding; CMHS meeting dates

Significance

This is Issue 14 of the Moorabbin Mirror, Newsletter of CMHS April 2018

Inscriptions & Markings

Moorabbin / Mirror / Newsletter City of Moorabbin Historical Society Inc. A0020543 (CMHS) / operating Box Cottage Museum (BCM) / April 2018 Issue 14

Document, laminated photocopy of 'Plan of Moorabbin 1850'

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A photocopy of a Map of the Moorabbin , County of Bourke c1850. A3 size laminated

Historical information

Weston Bate, 'A history of Brighton' 1962 informs us that in 1840 Henry Dendy, who was a farmer in Sussex England, paid 5,120 pounds sterling @ 1pound per acre for a 'Special Survey of Land in Port Phillip , Australia. Henry arrived in Australia in 1841 on the frigate 'York' with his wife, son, and three servants. He also took advantage of the Government Assistance of Free Immigrants for Survey Purchasers, to help on his estate and persuaded some Sussex men with their families to follow him. However when Dendy arrived in Port Phillip he found that LaTrobe and Gipps were trying to raise the price of land close to Town to 15pounds per acre. Dendy asked merchant J.B.Were to manage his affairs and they went ahead with plans to subdivide the surveyed land called 'The Brighton Estate' This area of land extended easterly from the Port Phillip Bay to East Boundary Road and from North Road to South Road in the Parish of Bourke Victoria. The Privy Council, England , decide that Henry Dendy could purchase the land at 1pound per acre. Land Sales proceeded from 1844 as more immigrants established market gardens, farms and varied businesses in 'Moorabbin'

Significance

This is a photocopy of a Map of the Moorabbin , County of Bourke c1850 showing the 'Henry Dendy Special Survey 1841'

Inscriptions & Markings

Left corner : MOORABBIN / COUNTY OF / BOURKE

Clothing, lady's long cream silk gloves

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A pair of lady's long cream silk machine lace gloves with open fingers and thumb piece C 1930 They are the classic OPERA length, with the mousquetaire wrist opening

Historical information

Ladies' evening gloves or opera gloves are a type of formal glove that reaches beyond the elbow. Ladies' gloves for formal and semi-formal wear come in three lengths for women: wrist, elbow, and opera or full-length (over the elbow, usually reaching to the biceps but sometimes to the full length of the arm). In the late 19thC and early 20thC Gloves were expected to be worn for both daytime and evening wear with most types of outfits. The most expensive full-length gloves are custom-made of kid leather. Many other types of leather, most usually soft varieties of cowhide, are used in making full-length gloves; patent leather and suede are especially popular as alternatives to kidskin. Satin materials were extremely popular, and there are mass-produced varieties as well.

Significance

Carole Pedersen-Green was a founding member of CMHS. Her family were early settlers in Moorabbin Shire

Office Equipment Propelling pencil

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A gold plated propelling pencil

Inscriptions & Markings

engraved : G. . Reed Made in Eversharp

Personal Effects, evening bag

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A lady's black velvet, silk lined, evening bag with draw-string and hand made tassels. The bag is decorated with beads in a floral design

Historical information

In the 17th century young girls were taught embroidery as a necessary skill for marriage, this also helped them make very beautiful handbags. By the late 18th century, fashions in Europe were moving towards a slender shape and women wanted purses that would not be bulky or untidy in appearance, so reticules were designed. Reticules were made of fine fabrics like silk and velvet, with wrist strap often decorated with pearls, sequins, beads and embroidery.

Radios, box with a 'Mullard' valve

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A box with a 'Mullard' valve for a radio

Historical information

Mullard Limited was a British manufacturer of electronic components. The Mullard Radio Valve Co. Ltd. of Southfields, London, was founded in 1920 by Captain Stanley R. Mullard, who had previously designed valves for the Admiralty before becoming managing director of the Z Electric Lamp Co. The company soon moved to Hammersmith, London and then in 1923 to Balham, London. The head office in later years was Mullard House in Torrington Place, Bloomsbury, now part of University College London. In 1923, in order to meet the technical demands of the newly formed BBC, Mullard formed a partnership with the Dutch manufacturer Philips. The valves (US vacuum tube) produced in this period were named with the prefix PM, for Philips-Mullard, beginning with the PM3 and PM4 in 1926. Mullard finally sold all its shares to Philips in 1927. In 1928 the company introduced the first pentode valve to the British market. Mullard opened a new manufacturing plant at Mitcham, Surrey in 1929 and in late 1930s Mullard opened a new plant in Blackburn, Lancashire. By 1949 Mullard had produced a number of television sets, such as the MTS-521 and MTS-684 and in 1951 Mullard was producing the LSD series of photographic flash tubes. In the early 1980s, Mullard manufactured the SAA5050, some of the earliest teletext decoding modules made in the UK. In 1957 Philips-Mullard helped to set up the Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory (MRAO) at the University of Cambridge. Philips continued to use the brand name "Mullard" in the UK until 1988. Mullard Research Laboratories in Redhill, Surrey then became Philips Research Laboratories. As of 2007, the Mullard brand has been revived by Sovtek, producing a variant of the ECC83 and EL34. The Z Electric Lamp Co. continued business into the 1970s operating from premises in Thornton Heath, south London, manufacturing lamps of specialised design but it closed due to the recession in the mid 1970s. Sovtek is a brand of vacuum tube owned by Mike Matthews's New Sensor Corporation and manufactured in Saratov, Russia. They are often used in guitar amplification

Inscriptions & Markings

Top of box : MULLARD / ELECTRONIC VALVE / Side of box; GAURANTEED ELECTRONIC / VALVE / MULLARD ( in a shield) :

Photograph, Circa early 1900's Band in a Park - Circa early 1900's Band in a Park

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

Photograph is black and white. A music band in a park. There are five rows of musicians. Towards the left side of the rows, there is a drummer and four saxophone players. In total, there are fourteen saxophone players. The rest of the men in this photograph play other instruments. There are 3 men with boater hats, 3 with bowler hats, 6 with stetson hats and three men in soldiers uniforms with white helmets. On the right side of the photograph, there are two boys dressed in white suits, one was taller and the other was little. There was an older man dressed in white in the fifth row, right in the middle.

Historical information

Circa Early 1900's: Band in the Park.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front base of Mount : Frazer & Vallary (unknown word), Salisbury B (Unknown words)

City of Moorabbin Mayoral Robe c1960

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

City of Moorabbin Mayoral Robe. Full length garment of royal blue material, 55% Polyester & 45% Wool, with gold braid on hem and sleeves. Full length Collar and the cuffs are brown mink and sleeves are lined with blue satin. Two brass clips on shoulders are for the attachment of the Mayoral Chain. Hook and eye fasteners join the front of the robe. This is the last City of Moorabbin Mayoral Robe and was worn by Mayor Ron Brownlees, (prior to amalgamation in 1994), and donated to the City of Moorabbin Historical Society in February 2007 by the City of Kingston.

Historical information

This robe was the last City of Moorabbin Mayoral Robe, and was worn by Mayor Ron Brownlees, (prior to the City of Moorabbin's amalgamation with City of Glen Eira and City of Kingston in 1994). It was donated to the City of Moorabbin Historical Society in February 2007 by the City of Kingston.

Significance

The City of Moorabbin developed from the Moorabbin Roads Board of 1862, becoming The Shire of Moorabbin in 1871 and the City of Moorabbin in 1934. In the 1994 Amalgamation of Councils the City of Moorabbin was divided between the new City of Kingston in the South and the new City of Glen Eira to the North . This is the last Mayoral Robe for the City of Moorabbin 1934- 1994

Inscriptions & Markings

Label " Raymond W. Bredin & Son / 17 Glenola Road / CHELSEA VIC. AUSTRALIA / Robe Makers "

Manufactured glass, Codd bottle

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A slightly green tinted, glass bottle with a groove inside the top which held a rubber ring, against which, the small glass ball inside the bottle was held by the pressure of the 'fizzy' drink inside.

Historical information

The Codd Bottle was first invented by English manufacturer, Hiram Codd at Barnsley in 1870. The groove inside the top of the bottle held a rubber ring. A small glass balll was held against this ring by the pressure of the 'pop' or 'fizzy' carbonated drink inside the bottle. This style of bottle was widely manufactured and used in the production of mineral waters and lemonade. The glass has a slight green tint, known as aqua glass, and is what the Victorian era produced as 'clear glass'

Significance

This glass Codd bottle with glass ball and partial rubber ring was probably imported from England by Bennetts Pty. Ltd of Richmond, Victoria for their Lemonade and sold as refreshment to early settlers of Moorabbin Shire c1880

Inscriptions & Markings

BENNETTS / LEMONADE diagonally across bottle

Clothing, baby's dress

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

Home-made, infant's short, long-sleeved, cream silk dress. With inset machine-made lace panels and ribbon inserts on bodice and on the sleeve cuffs. Small buttons down the back. .

Historical information

This baby's dress is an example of the clothing made for their children by the families who had settled in the Moorabbin Shire in mid 19th C

Significance

The skill and craftsmanship shown in this baby's dress is an example of the clothing made by the pioneer settlers and market gardeners in Moorabbin Shire who had to be self reliant and made their own clothing and utensils.

Clothing, girl’s dress

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A young girl’s pinafore dress with a drop-waist, lace insert , pin-tucking and buttoned back

Historical information

This girl's half petticoat is an example of the dressmaking skills of the women of the early settlers families in Moorabbin Shire in the early 20th C

Significance

Early settlers and market gardeners established their families in Moorabbin Shire and this item shows the skill and craftsmanship of the women of these families

Photograph, Black & White Mrs J.L.Smith & Butcher

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A Black and white photograph c 1915 showing the Butcher delivering meat to Mrs J.L Smith Bentleigh

Historical information

The Butcher Mr Bill Ellen delivering meat to Mrs J.L.Smith in front of the house Law Muir Den 510 Centre Rd Bentleigh c 1915. Groceries, Ice, Milk, Bread, Eggs, Poultry were delivered to housewives by the traders in horse drawn carts, Also Hawkers and Pedlars plied their wares by visiting the cottages. John Logan Smith 1860-1932 , the son of Irish immigrants James and Marianne Smith was born at their home near the 'Toll Gates' on Point Nepean Road and Dendy Street. East Brighton. At that time the area had many orchards that were later replaced by market gardens. J.L.Smith at first rented a cottage 'Law Muir Den' & Shed from Mr Box and commenced business as a wood merchant - sawing logs into shorter pieces using one horse to power the saw. He purchased the property, added to the buildings , began trading in fuel and fodder as well and installed a chaff cutting mill powered by 10hp steam engine. The business prospered 1909 following the death of Tommy Bent, J/L Smith was nominated for Councillor of the Shire of Moorabbin. WW1 1914 - 18 both John and Mary Ann supported local War Relief Auxiliaries and their son Vic served as a Signaler in AIF. As Motor transport was increasing 1926 J L Smith built a small Garage on the opposite corner (Woolworths Supermarket 2005) , employed a good mechanic ( Reg Hunt ) and developed another successful business. The Grain Store was managed by family until 1930. In 1932 JL Smith assisted a man whose car had broken down, pushing it to the garage and sadly suffered a heart attack and died. He is buried in Cheltenham Cemetery.

Significance

J.L.Smith was an early settler in East Brighton now Bentleigh and established successful Wood cutting, Grain & Chaff cutting and Motor garage businesses in Centre Road . He was elected Councillor of the Shire of Moorabbin and, with Mary Ann, his family were involved with local Church, Red Cross, and other community organizations.

Jewellery, 1 lady's hat pin

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A short, lady's steel hat pin, padded and covered in red and gold felt in a spiral pattern

Historical information

See 00630 A A hat pin is a decorative pin for holding a hat to the head, usually by the hair that was styled in a Chignon or French Roll style and usually worn in a pair. They are typically around 20 cm in length, with the pinhead being the most decorated part.

Significance

The women of the pioneer families liked to dress up in their best hand made dresses and fashionable hats for Church gatherings and special occasions as a relief from the daily chores of hand washing, ironing with flat irons and cooking over open fires.

Bandage, cotton

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

An unused, 1 inch ( 2.5cm ) x 6 yards ( 2metres) cotton, ‘open wove’ bandage in a cellophane wrapper sold by G.J. Coles Pty Ltd Variety Stores

Historical information

A bandage is a piece of material used either to support a medical device such as a dressing or splint, or on its own to provide support to the body; it can also be used to restrict a part of the body. G. J. Coles opened the 'Coles Variety Store' on 9 April 1914 on Smith Street in the Melbourne, Victoria suburb of Collingwood. Further expansion occurred and Coles' interest in food retailing was spurred in 1958 when it acquired 54 John Connell Dickins grocery stores. It then acquired the Beilby's chain in South Australia in 1959 and 265 Matthews Thompson grocery stores in New South Wales in 1960 .In 1960, the first supermarket was opened in the Melbourne suburb Balwyn North, at the corner of Burke and Doncaster Roads where a modernised version continues to operate. By 1973, Coles had established stores in all Australian capital cities. From 1962, its supermarkets were branded Coles New World with accompanying rocket imagery. In 1991, the stores were re-branded Coles Supermarkets and from 1998, simply as Coles. George James (G. J.) Coles learned the retail trade working for his father's 'Coles Store' business from 1910 to 1913. The store continued operating as "The Original Coles" at Wilmot, Tasmania until it was destroyed by a fire on 24 January 2014.

Inscriptions & Markings

Cellophane wrapper top: WHITE OPEN WOVE / BANDAGE / 1 X 6 YDS. / SPECIAL QUALITY / G.J.COLES

Dairy Equipment, cheese cutter

City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum), Ormond

A wooden frame with wire cross pattern for cutting cheese