Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool
This is a leaflet with a grey cover and four pages inside. The cover has dark blue printing and the pages have black printing and are ruled into 15 spaces. There are over 100 blue stamps stuck onto the ruled spaces. The cover is tattered at the edges and one stamp is loose.
This leaflet was a promotion tool of the Warrnambool business, Swintons Pty Ltd. It was used to insert stamps given by the firm when goods were purchased. When the pages were filled with 200 stamps the owner was given two shillings and sixpence in cash. It was a reward to the regular customer. William and Ann Swinton migrated to Australia in 1854 and for a decade William Swinton worked as a builder and carpenter in the Warrnambool area. In 1865 he opened a store in Timor Street, Warrnambool selling groceries, hardware, glassware and china. By 1888 the business was known as William Swinton and Sons. Branch stores were opened in Cudgee, Nullawarre, Wangoom, West Warrnambool and South Warrnambool. After William Swinton’s death, his son, Robert, became the first managing director of Swintons Pty Ltd. In 1934 the business split, with George Swinton and Sons selling furnishings, clothing and glassware and Swintons Pty Ltd selling groceries, seeds, produce and hardware. Today the Swinton family still operates a furniture and bedding store in Timor Street.
This leaflet is of interest as an example of the advertising practices carried out by the firm of Swintons Pty Ltd, an important business in Warrnambool for many years. The current Swinton business in Timor Street, Warrnambool is the oldest family business in Warrnambool and, with the name Swinton associated with Timor Street businesses for 152years, it is amongst the oldest family businesses in Australia.
Inscriptions & Markings
‘Swintons Pty Ltd Timor Street Warrnambool Provision, Seed and Hardware Merchants Blue Cash Coupons Bank Book’