Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. Warrnambool, Victoria

The Warrnambool & District Historical Society (WDHS) was founded in 1966 with the object of gathering material and items of local historical significance and preserving them for the enjoyment of future generations. WDHS shares HeritageWorks with Warrnambool Family History Group.

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 731 Warrnambool Victoria 3280 (map)
phone
+61 (03) 5561 0283

Contact

Opening Hours

Monday to Friday 10am to 12noon - 1.30pm to 3.30pm. Or by appointment. Public holidays by appointment.

Entry Fee

Free entry.

Location

2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria

View on Google Maps

The collection is diverse and includes items relating to Warrnambool and district from the 19th century museum and other material collected by the three following historical societies established in early 1900s, post WWII and the current society. The collection consists artefacts, books, original documents, textiles, photographs, maps, oral histories and a research collection. History House is a registered Place of Deposit (POD) with local items lodged from PROV and Warrnambool City Council.

Significance

Our collection tells the story of local and district business and families of south west Victoria and their link within the world platform. Stories of developing the district and transport by land and sea. Our material is displayed and available for researchers.

David Andersen 29 January 2020 10:29 PM

Re your 1 ACF red star badges 1940 and 1941 It appears that these are Australian Comfort Funds Workers badges rather than specifically for fundraising - references Examiner (Launceston, Tas. ), Wednesday 10 April 1940, page 1 " The members of the Australian Comforts Fund have a badge similar to the one worn by the members of the Australian Comforts Fund in the last war. It is in the shape of a star and is red enamel with the letters A.C.F. and the date 1940" Argus (Melbourne, Vic.), Wednesday 4 October 1939, page 13 " A badge similar to that used in 1914 was approved. of red enamel with the letters "A.C.F." on a six pointed star, it will also bear the year for which the member has enrolled. The subscription will be 2/ a year" I have only recorded 1940 and 1941 so far.

Marita Murphy 3 February 2020 3:30 PM

Hello David Thank you for your interest. I refer you to the following website for an expanded account of the Australian Comfort Fund https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/articles/10608 Kind regards Marita for WDHS

Maree 27 May 2020 9:53 AM

Dear Museums Victoria, I would like to borrow a copy of "Church on the Hill: A Centenary History of St Bridgets" written by Helen Doyle. Could you please advise where I could find this book. Thanks Maree

Victorian Collections is no longer accepting public comments

Contact the collector

2424 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (2384) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

2424 items

Ceramic - Mug -Henry Reeves

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a white china mug or cup with coloured flowers and foliage painted on the sides. The handle has a blue decoration and the rims of the base and the top are blue. There is a crack on the side and some staining on the inside of the mug. The name ‘Henry Reeves’ is painted on the side of the mug.

Historical information

This mug with the name inscribed on the side was perhaps a present for a child. No information has been found on Henry Reeves though there have been well-known families bearing that surname in Warrnambool’s history.

Significance

This mug, at this point of time, has no known local significance, but it is an attractive item and will be useful for display.

Inscriptions & Markings

‘Henry Reeves’

Bottle - S Rowley

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a glass bottle, tinted green. The body of the bottle has an oval shape tapering to a point at the end and is known as a torpedo bottle. It can only be stored lying on its side. The neck of the bottle ends with a moulded glass top. There is no stopper. The bottle is slightly discoloured inside. The information on the maker is embossed into the body of the bottle.

Historical information

This bottle was known as a torpedo bottle. As the bottle had to lie on its side the soda was kept in contact with the cork and stopped the cork from shrinking and causing loss of pressure. This bottle comes from the Warrnambool aerated waters factory of John Searle Rowley (1837-1893). John Rowley, born in England, came to Australia in 1856 and in 1865 he opened a branch of the Geelong Corio Brewery at the corner of Timor and Banyan Streets in Warrnambool, bottling the beer, not brewing it. In 1870 this business was closed and Rowley developed his soft drinks business which he had established in 1868. In 1872 the business was called the Warrnambool Steam Aerated Works when a steam engine was purchased from Melbourne. In 1872 the factory was turning out 600 dozen bottles a day. By the 1880s the factory was occupying half an acre of land, was employing 13 people and manufacturing 20 varieties of drinks. Rowley died in 1893. He had been active in community affairs, serving four years on the Warrnambool Council and on the committees of the Warrnambool Hospital and the Mechanics Institute.

Significance

This bottle is of great interest as it comes from the factory of the prominent 19th century Warrnambool aerated waters manufacturer, John Rowley. Few of his bottles have survived today. Cordial and soft drinks manufacturing was an important industry in Warrnambool for over 100 years and John Rowley was a key figure in this industry.

Inscriptions & Markings

‘J.S. Rowley’s Aerated Waters Timor Street Warrnambool’

Souvenir - Tumbler/glass

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

Clear glass with gold rim and logo of sailing ship, on front, and label on the back. Heavy dotted base.

Historical information

Limited information but sportsmen Clubs generally seem to be associated with organized shooting clubs. This glass was one of a set of 4 either awarded as prize or sold as souvenir.

Significance

Local social historical interest.

Inscriptions & Markings

Warrnambool S.A.A around logo with Warrnambool Sportsmen’s Club Inc. on other side of the glass.

Philately - Stamp

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a stamp on a rounded base with a plastic cover and a black and red plastic handle.

Historical information

This is the Common Seal of the Warrnambool and District Historical Society which is normally used for certifying legal documentation. The Society was established in 1966 and became an incorporated body in 1986.

Inscriptions & Markings

On handle: ‘ALLSTAMPS’ On stamp cover: ‘Warrnambool & District Historical Society Incorporated’ On stamp: ‘The Common Seal of Warrnambool & District Historical Society Incorporated’

Document - Newsletter St John's church Warrnambool

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a white four-page printed newsletter - St. John’s Quarterly Record, No. 21, Warrnambool, April, 1895. The front page contains an image of St. John’s Church. The printed material includes Church Notes, Marriages, Funerals, Church Register and Disjunctions from Membership. The pages are partly torn.

Historical information

St. John’s Presbyterian Church in Warrnambool was opened in 1875 with the Minister in 1895 being the Rev. W. Gray Dixon. At this time the Young People’s Society of Christian Endeavour was active and there was great enthusiasm for supporting missionary work in China and India.

Significance

This newsletter is of considerable importance as it is an original document and describes the activities of the Presbyterian Church in Warrnambool in the 1890s and gives us some idea of the character of the church at the time. It includes information on Fred Newcombe who later died in India while working as a medical missionary and the names of many people who made their mark in our history.

Poster - Ozone Hotel

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is an advertising poster made of buff-coloured, heavyweight cardboard. It has a sepia-coloured photograph of the Ozone Hotel at the top and black printed material on the bottom half. The poster is completely torn in two with two edge sections also detached. Parts of the top left and bottom left corner are missing. There is evidence of adhesive tape having been used for mending purposes in the past and the whole poster is a little grubby. The paper is now very brittle.

Historical information

This poster advertises the Ozone Hotel in Warrnambool. The poster can be dated to 1896 or thereabouts as it quotes the testimonials of the Governor of Victoria, Lord Brassey and Lady Brassey who stayed at the hotel twice in 1896. The Ozone Hotel, at the corner of Koroit and Kepler Streets, Warrnambool, was opened in 1890 as the Grand Ozone Coffee Palace, a temperance hotel. In 1891 it was granted a colonial wine licence and in 1895 it became known as the Ozone Hotel (a private hotel with superior accommodation). From 1894 to 1907 Thomas Randall was the proprietor. In 1923 the hotel, by then known as Hotel Mansions, became a fully licensed hotel. The building was burnt down in 1929.

Significance

Although very tattered, this is a significant item. It is an original poster of the Ozone Hotel. The building (Grand Ozone Coffee Palace/Ozone Hotel/Hotel Mansions) was very important in Warrnambool’s history. It was the grandest building ever erected in Warrnambool and a memento of the days when temperance hotels were prevalent in Victoria and tourism was beginning to be important in Warrnambool.

Inscriptions & Markings

‘The “Ozone” Warrnambool’ ‘This commodious and well-managed hotel containing nearly a hundred rooms, is replete with every comfort for the accommodation of visitors at a moderate tariff …..’

Household - Pair of Over-Shoes

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a pair of black rubber over-shoes or galoshes for wearing over high-heeled shoes. They have moulded rubber soles with high heels, rubber uppers with a flap to cover the ankles and an opening with two metal press studs with black button tops. The inside is lined with light brown cloth.

Historical information

These over shoes or galoshes would have been worn by a woman wishing to protect the high-heel shoes she was wearing at the time. They would have been used in wintry weather or when walking over rough and wet country roads or tracks, perhaps when going dancing or to a function of some sort. With the advent of common car use and better roads, this type of over-shoe would no longer be used today.

Significance

These shoes are of interest as examples of the footwear worn by women in the mid 20th century to protect lighter and more fragile shoes.

Inscriptions & Markings

‘Dunlop’ ‘DZM’ ‘LZA’

Book - Minute book

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a ledger with a black cover and red binding (foolscap size). There are 190 pages, each one ruled with blue lines and a red margin line. The entries are handwritten in black ink.

Historical information

This book is a diary (1926 and 1927) which appears to contain summaries of letters written to clients of the Warrnambool legal firm, Mackay and Taylor. The summaries give the name of the recipient(s) and the content of the letter. The numbers next to the summaries may refer to the number of the client or the number in the letter book. George Mackay who died in 1926 set up the original legal firm in Warrnambool in 1891 and merged with James Fletcher in 1893 to form the Fletcher and Mackay business. In the early 1920s J. Taylor joined the business then known as Mackay and Taylor. This business with other partners survived in Kepler Street until the 1990s.

Significance

This book has some significance as it contains the names of many residents of Warrnambool and district during the 1920s and gives some indication of their dealings with their lawyers. It also shows the system used at the time to record the transactions of law firms

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: ‘Minute Book’ (actually a diary) Spine: ‘Diary’ (in black ink)

Postcard - Les Grenades

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a coloured postcard with a sketch of three children dressed in military outfits. The child dressed as a nurse is giving a piece of fruit to a child dressed as a wounded soldier. On the back it has space for correspondence and an address.

Historical information

This is number 22 of 27 items in the Daisy Vickers collection of World War One memorabilia. These items were sent or given to Daisy Ogier (nee Vickers) during World War One by Corporal Arthur Anderson who enlisted from Warrnambool in 1915 at the age of 21. He served in Egypt and France and returned to Australia in 1919. Daisy Ogier (1907-1987) was a student and then a teacher at Warrnambool Technical School with her early teaching years there from 1925 to 1936 and in 1949. She became the head mistress from 1950 to 1963 and in 1968. She officially retired in 1976. Daisy Vickers was one of the best loved and dedicated teachers that the school ever had. She married the Reverend Fred Ogier and continued her association with the school after her husband's death.

Significance

This card is interesting because of its association with World War One and with two local people: Daisy Vickers and Arthur Anderson.

Inscriptions & Markings

Les Grenades

Case - Silver Card Case (Holmes)

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a silver card case, heavily embossed, with a slightly curved shape and a hinged lid. It has the initials ‘HIH’ engraved in a shield on the front of the case. It contains nine calling cards (Dr Horace Holmes, Warrnambool). These are made of light card with printing in black on a white background. The cards are somewhat marked and discoloured.

Historical information

The owner of this card case was Dr Horace Holmes who was a doctor in Warrnambool for over 40 years. Dr Holmes (1877-1959) was born in Tasmania and completed a medical course at Melbourne University. He came to Warrnambool in 1905, taking over the practice of Dr Fleetwood at ‘Ierne’, at the corner of Spence and Kepler Streets. In 1906 he built a new home at the corner of Liebig Street and Raglan Parade and moved his practice there in 1912 (today this building is the Warrnambool Medical Clinic). Dr Holmes was an honorary Medical Officer at the Warrnambool Hospital. He retired in 1939 selling his practice to Dr Berryman but came out of retirement and practised as a locum until 1944. His interests included rowing golf, bowls and fishing. In the 1950s he lived at ‘Leprena’ in Canterbury Road. He was a foundation member of the Warrnambool Rotary Club.

Significance

This is a most significant item as it belonged to a prominent local doctor, Dr Horace Holmes. It also has considerable social significance as it is an example of the practice of past times of carrying calling cards and the silver case is a sign of the affluence of the owner.

Inscriptions & Markings

Case: ‘HIH’ Cards: ‘Dr. Horace I. Holmes, Leprena, Warrnambool’

Cleaning Pad - Cleaning Pad Gramaphone Mrs Rowan

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

These are two gramophone records cleaning pads. They are circular in shape with a tin top and felt cleaning pads. One pad is brown-coloured and the other is green-coloured. The metal tops have the name of the supplier and the name of the music shop in Warrnambool that gave out or sold the pads. The tops are painted black with gold-coloured printing. The tops have ornamental scrolls on the edges.

Historical information

John Brunswick from Switzerland came to U.S.A. in 1845 and established a business in Ohio making carriages and billiard tables. In 1874 a merger gave the company a new name of Brunswick and Balke Company and in 1884 it became Brunswick, Balke and Collender. In the early 20th century the company made other products including phonograph records and discs and in 1930 this section of the company was sold to Warner Brothers. Today it is known as the Brunswick Corporation. The patent for these cleaning pads was taken out in 1922. Matilda (Tilly) Rowan, the daughter of Robert and Ellen Lavery was born in Warrnambool in 1872 and by 1896 was advertising her stationery shop in the Oddfellows Hall in Koroit Street. She married Thomas Rowan in 1908. She had a music shop at 143 Liebig Street with one known date, 1930, and then transferred her business to the Oddfellows Hall building which she owned. She also operated the Plaza Picture Theatre in the same building. She died in 1948.

Significance

Brunswick- Balke- Collender Company

Inscriptions & Markings

‘Brunswick, Mrs Rowan Music House, 143 Liebig Street, Warrnambool, ‘Phone 634, Agent for New Edison Diamond Disc Phonographs and Records, The Brunswick-Balke-Collender Company, Reg.U.S. Pat.Office, M de F. Marca Industrial Registrada, patented November 1922, Philadelphia Badge Co., Phila, U.S.A.’

Album, photograph - Warrnambool Horn Esq

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

These are two items which are believed to be linked. One is an envelope marked ‘C.J. Horn, Wildwood, Warrnambool’ and the other is a blue-covered homemade album of photographs bound with red wool. The front cover has ‘Warrnambool’ written in red ink and the back of the front cover is stamped ‘Ralph Barnes, Chemist, Warrnambool’. There are 22 sepia-coloured photographs of a family (the Horns) and other views of Warrnambool. All have a label on the back. The back page of the cover has an advertisement for ‘Seltona’ self-toning paper.

Historical information

This album contains photographs of a family, (the Horns of ‘Wildwood’, Warrnambool) and other photographs of Warrnambool – the foreshore, the Soldiers’ Memorial, the Breakwater, the Hopkins River, Liebig and Timor Streets etc. It has been made by a member of the Horn family and given as a Christmas present to other members of the family. Charles James Horn came to Australia in 1881and was a tutor to the Barber family of ‘Staywood Park’, Wangoom. He and his wife Emma then worked a property at Cudgee before settling in Warrnambool at ‘Wildwood’ in North Warrnambool. One of their sons, Charles Bernard Horn married Margaret Cairns in 1916 but died in 1927. Another son, Leslie, was killed in World War One.

Significance

This little album is of great interest because it contains photographs of the Horn family and other photographs of views in Warrnambool. It is therefore of considerable historical interest and will be very useful to researchers. As it is a handmade item it is also of interest because it is an example of the sort of homemade items made as presents at a time (the late 1920s) when finances for something more expensive may not have been available.

Inscriptions & Markings

‘Warrnambool’ ‘7 sheets glossy Seltona’ collodion self-toning paper containing gold, Sole Manufacturers, Wellington and Ward, Elstree, Herts.’ ‘From us both to you both, Wishing you a Happy Christmas and a Glad New Year’.

Booklet - Warrnambool & District Pipes & Drums Cookery

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a soft-cover book of 94 pages. It is a cookery book published by the Warrnambool and District Pipes and Drums. It has a blue cover overlaid with plastic and is bound with plastic rings. The front cover has the logo of the Warrnambool and District Pipes and Drums. It has an introduction, an acknowledgements page and two pages of information on the Warrnambool and District Pipes and Drums organization.

Historical information

This cookbook was produced by the Warrnambool and District Pipes and Drums, partly as a fund-raiser and partly as a promotional exercise. A Pipe Band was formed in Warrnambool in 1906 with twelve foundation members. Simon Fraser was the original Pipe Major and the band has had some changes of name since its foundation. The band was not operating for some time during the years of World War One and again during World War Two but today under the name of Warrnambool and District Pipes and Drums it performs at concerts, dinners, band competitions, official functions, street parades etc and had won both Victorian and interstate Championship titles.

Significance

This book is of interest as an example of a fund-raising exercise by a local organization early in the 21st century.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front Cover: ‘Warrnambool and District Pipes and Drums Cookbook’

Book - Silent Sisterhood. Middle-class Women in the Victorian Home. Author Patricia Branca

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

Black paperback with gold text. Front cover depicts Sepia toned photograph of six women having tea. Back cover is black with recommendations and information about contents of the book.

Historical information

Silent Sisterhood gives an insight into life and purpose of middle-class Victorian Women. It is divided into main sections of 1. The Outer Woman. 2. The Inner Woman. 3.Conclusions. It contains tables of reference and an extensive bibliography.

Significance

Silent Sisterhood is a study of the issues which faced women of the Victorian Era. It examines health and domestic matters such as budgeting, child rearing, infant health and contraception. The relevant period of history which it examines, was a time of change for women with the granting of the vote giving them a political voice.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten name, L. Scholes, inside front cover. Printed in England by Redwood Burn Ltd, Trowbridge and Esher. ISBN 0-85664-698-. Dedicated to Nancy Ann

Photograph, Steeplechase 1921 - Booval Steeplechase jumps

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

Two black and white photos mounted on card showing the first and second last jumps of the Booval Steeplechase in 1921. There is text handwritten below the photographs and there is damage to the top right hand corner of the top photograph.

Historical information

Booval Hill was an early name for the area to the north east of the Princes Highway and Liebig St intersection. The winning horse being a horse named Bloodstain which is recorded on the mount of the photograph.

Significance

This item has a social and historical significance.Socially,it shows an early association which Warrnambool has had with steeple-chasing with jumps racing still representing an important part of the horseracing calendar. The photo has a strong link with Warrnambool, being one of many photographs taken by The Jordan studios which operated out of premises in Liebig Street .

Inscriptions & Markings

Bottom photo signed Arthur Jordan 6 W'bool.

Document - Ist Airmail letter 1917

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a cream-coloured sheet of paper folded in two to make four pages. It has handwriting in black ink on two pages. The writing is a little faded. The first page has the logo of the Melbourne Town Hall. The pages are partly torn at the folds.

Historical information

This letter, the first air mail letter sent to Warrnambool, was written by the Lord Mayor of Melbourne, Sir David Valentine Hennessy and carried by the aviator, Basil Watson on the first flight to Warrnambool January 24th 1917. The letter was delivered to the Mayor of Warrnambool, Cr Webb.There were several other letters delivered at the same time but this is the important official one. Basil Watson was a pioneer aviator who built his own aeroplane which was 18 feet long with a wing span of 26 feet and it had a 7 cylinder 50 H.P. Rotary Gnome engine. Watson flew from Point Cook to Warrnambool in one hour 55 minutes, an Australian cross-country flying record at the time. In Warrnambool Watson amazed the crowd with his dare-devil aerial acrobatics, looping the loop 14 times over the Warrnambool Racecourse. Basil Watson died when he crashed his plane into the sea near Point Cook, just two months after he landed in Warrnambool.

Significance

This letter is of the utmost significance being the first air mail letter delivered to Warrnambool. It is an important memento of the first aeroplane flight into Warrnambool by the pioneer aviator Basil Watson.

Inscriptions & Markings

‘Town Hall, Melbourne, 21/1/17. Lord Mayor’s Room, Dear Mr Mayor, I have much pleasure in sending you greetings by aeroplane piloted by my friend’s son, Mr Basil Watson. I hope when the cruel war is over and victory crowns our efforts, we all in the C’wealth will be able to fly from one state to the other. With best wishes for the New Year, …….. (signature indecipherable), D.V. Hennessy. His Worship the Mayor of Warrnambool.’

Book - Victorian Institute of Surveyors Transactions and Proceedings Vol V

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a hard cover book with a dark brown cover with gold printing on the front cover and spine. The cover is now stained. The book contains an introduction, twenty papers and reports from 1905 to 1910. There are many black and white photographs and fold-out maps and plans. The signature on the second page is handwritten in black ink.

Historical information

This book belonged to John William Crawley, Junior who had acquired it in 1910 as a member of the Victorian Institute of Surveyors. John Crawley was an engineer, architect and surveyor in private practice in Warrnambool and also the official engineer of the Shire of Warrnambool from 1896 to 1935. His father, brother and son were also engineers and worked in that capacity for the Shire of Warrnambool or as the Shire Secretary, with the Crawley family members recording a total of 132 years of service to the Shire of Warrnambool which existed from 1863 to 1994.

Significance

This book is retained as it belonged to John Crawley, the engineer for the Shire of Warrnambool for forty years.

Inscriptions & Markings

J.W.Crawley W’bool 26.3.10

Mugs - Warrnambool Fabric Blankets

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

.1 This is an insulated plastic mug with a mottled orange-coloured body and a white rim on the top opening and a white handle. On the side of the mug is a printed name with gold lettering on a brown background. The maker’s name is etched into the base of the mug. .2 This is an insulated plastic mug with a purple and black mottled body and a white rim on the top opening and a white handle. On the side of the mug is a printed name on a brown background with gold lettering. The maker’s name is etched into the base of the mug.

Historical information

These mugs are souvenirs of the Warrnambool Woollen Mill. They were either sold as souvenirs or given to clients of the mill. The Warrnambool Woollen Mill in South Warrnambool was opened in 1910 with the first manager being John Bennett, an Englishman who recruited skilled weavers and bought mill equipment from his home country. At the height of production the mill was employing up to 700 people. In 1958 the mill became the first in Australia to manufacture electric blankets. In 1968 the mill was sold to the Dunlop company and in the ensuing years various companies owned the plant. In the year 2000 the mill was closed and the equipment was sold. The buildings were sold to a private developer and the first residents moved into the new housing estate in 2009.

Significance

These mugs are of interest as mementoes of the Warrnambool Woollen Mill, a key industry in the development of Warrnambool and one that operated for 90 years.

Inscriptions & Markings

.1 & .2 Warrnambool Fabrics Blankets Steditemp Insulated Ware Made in Australia by Newlyne MFG Co Pty Ltd Division of J. Glaser & Co Melbourne

Label - Mrs. Wm. Wright

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

White rectangular label with dark blue lines and background .

Historical information

Martha Wright was the proprietor of a fancy goods store in Liebig Street, Warrnambool opposite Jordan's studio. She took art needlework classes offering seven lessons for 5 shillings . Her pupils were successful at local shows and she herself won second prize in the Australian Womens Work Exhibition of 1907 for the best made washing dress for a girl of 12.

Significance

This item is significant as Mrs.Wright was a prominent business woman in Warrnambool in the early 20th century.

Inscriptions & Markings

ART NEEDLEWORK AND REQUISITES From Mrs. Wm. Wright LIEBIG ST. WARRNAMBOOL Telephone 158 GOLFERS & KNITTED SUITS A SPECIALITY

Book - History of Port Fairy

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a black cardboard folder containing 120 typewritten foolscap pages about the history of Port Fairy 1810-1890 (written by William Earle). Inside the front cover there is a stamp of the ShipLovers Society of Victoria Library. The front cover has a sheet of white paper stuck on with adhesive tape. It has a black and white sketch of an anchor, a sailing ship and a rope. The pages are attached to the folder with four metal studs. There is a loose sheet inside with a note about the donor of the folder and a name handwritten on the front cover.

Historical information

This is a typewritten account of the history of Port Fairy from 1810 to 1890. It was written by William Earle (1850 -1902). In an addenda at the back of this folder there is a note from William Earle which indicates that the booklet was written in 1896 ‘as a result of a prize offered by several residents in a Schedule issued in connection with a local Industrial Exhibition, which Prize it secured’. Does this refer to the 1896-7 Warrnambool Industrial and Art Exhibition? No evidence of this has yet been found. As this folder was given to the ShipLovers Society of Victoria Library in 1963, some ten years before Earle’s history was reprinted in 1973, it is an early copy of Earle’s original work and may have been produced in the late 19th century or early 20th century. The original material was first published by the Port Fairy Gazette in 1896.

Significance

This folder is of great interest as it is an early copy of Earle’s History of Port Fairy, an important historical publication.

Inscriptions & Markings

‘W.Earle’ ‘Presented by Mr Owen, Warrnambool, May/1963’

Cloth - Anderson Tartan Warrnambool & District Pipes & Drums

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a sample piece of tartan cloth of the Anderson Clan. The material was provided by the Fletcher Jones and Staff Factory in Warrnambool and used to make the kilts for the members of the Warrnambool and District Pipes and Drums. The pattern is in squares of blue, red, black, yellow, green and white. The sample has frayed edges.

Historical information

This is a sample of the material used for the kilts of the members of the Warrnambool and District Pipes and Drums. It was provided by Fletcher Jones and Staff Factory in Warrnambool. Warrnambool and District Pipes and Drums was originally founded as the Warrnambool Pipe Band in 1906 with the objective of popularizing Scottish music. Later this objective was altered to include the fostering of bagpipe music. The band’s tartan was firstly the Gordon tartan then the Cameron of Erracht tartan and today it is the Anderson tartan. Since its formation the group has won many State Titles and has performed well also at national competitions including winning the Grade 2 Australian Championship in 1992.

Significance

This material is of interest as a sample of the material used for the kilts of the members of the Warrnambool and District Pipes and Drums, an important and long-established band in Warrnambool.

Book - Common prayer

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a black leather covered book of 208 pages. There are two sections – The Book of Common Prayer and Hymns Ancient and Modern. The cover is partly detached from the binding and there is gold lettering on the front cover and spine. The pages are gilt-edged. There is a full page black and white illustration at the beginning of the text. The two inscriptions are handwritten in black ink.

Historical information

This book was given to Bill Rogers for his 8th birthday in 1927. Arthur George (Bill) was the grandson of Joseph Rogers, a Warrnambool plumber, and the son of Arthur and Agnes Rogers. Bill Rogers (d. 1995) worked in the advertising department of the Warrnambool Standard for nearly 50 years. He married Lorna Steller and they lived in MacDonald Street in South Warrnambool.

Significance

This book is of interest as it belonged to Bill Rogers, a Warrnambool resident in the 20th century. It is also of interest as an example of the type of present given to an 8 year-old boy in the 1920s.

Inscriptions & Markings

‘To Billie on his 8th birthday 1927’ ‘Billie Rogers 32 McDonald St. Sth. Warrnambool’

Booklet - Port Fairy

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a booklet of 59 pages of typed material bound into a brown cardboard cover with metal screws. The pages are typed on one side only and have a black border around all sides.

Historical information

This is a typed copy of William Earle’s History of Port Fairy written in 1896. The history is of interest to researchers and the information contained in it has been updated and extended by historians in recent times. William Earle, a printer with a business in Port Fairy came to Australia with his parents, William and Mary, in 1854. He was a Councillor and Mayor and was heavily involved in local community affairs. He died in 1902 at the age of 51. His 1896 history won a prize in a local Industrial Exhibition and was widely acknowledged as an important primary source of early Port Fairy history.

Significance

This booklet is of minor interest as it is a copy of a 19th century Port Fairy history book and is not a rare item. It is retained as it came from the Baulch collection of documents and belonged to David Baulch of Koonongal Estate, Hwakesdale

Inscriptions & Markings

David Baulch Koonongal Estate Hawkesdale 3287

Feathered Hat

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a woman’s hat – a spherical-shaped piece of dark blue felt or velvet curved to fit a head. The headpiece is covered with layers of small feathers in brown, yellow, black and white tonings. The label of the maker is on the inside of the hat.

Historical information

This item comes from the great aunts of the donor, women of the Kinnear family of Allandale, Allansford. In the early 1840s William and John Allan took up large tracts of land to the east of the Hopkins River. In the late 19840s the run was divided, with William taking the Allandale section and John taking the Tooram section. In 1906 a portion of the Allandale section, including the homestead, was acquired by the Kinnear family.

Significance

This hat is retained as an example of a woman’s hat from 80 years ago – stylish and eye-catching. It is also of interest as coming from the Kinnear family of Allansford.

Inscriptions & Markings

Urbi et Orbi Custom Hats Yokohama

Document - Victorian Museum Award 2017

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a sheet of white paper with a background image of a tree branch and black printing. There are two signatures and the logos or lettering of 7 Victorian organizations.

Historical information

This is a document signifying that the Warrnambool and District Historical Society in 2017 received a Victorian Collections Award for Excellence in Museum Cataloguing (Volunteer Staff). The award was given by Museums Australia (Victoria). The Warrnambool and District Historical Society continues to be an active contributor to the Victorian Collections web site.

Significance

This item is of minor significance as a memento of a 2017 award given to the Warrnambool and District Historical Society and it now forms part of the group’s archives.

Plaque - Warrnambool Co-operative Society Limited

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

Rectangular white painted sign board with black text and a hole in each corner for attaching the sign to the wall. The sign has dirt on the surface and into the top right-hand corner. The signwriter's inscription in brown texta is on the back.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front: REGISTERED OFFICE .../WARRNAMBOOL/CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY/LIMITED Back: GRANT PHILLIPS/Signs/WARRNAMBOOL/6-8-1976

Post - Card Georgia

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a postcard with an image of the ship ‘Georgia’ on the front and a letter from Nullawarre on the back. There is a stamp from the Gray’s Colosseum Stationers and a symbol, ‘F & J’ on the back.

Historical information

The recipient of this card, Jessie Bonnett was born in Allansford in 1897. She spent her life on the family farm at Mepunga with her brothers Jack and George. She died in 1990 and her scrapbook came into the collection of the Warrnambool and District Historical Society through her relative, Mary O’Callaghan. Nothing is known of Ada Lawlor.

Significance

This card has social significance and interest showing the communication between people in an earlier age. Postcards were commonly used to convey a short message between friends.

Inscriptions & Markings

Nullawarre, 13.10.10 Miss Jessie Bonnett, Mepunga, Dear Jessie, Just a P.C. in answer to your pretty card and for being so kind in always helping me with my sums. Please excuse this P.C. as I have no other. I remain, your affect. playmate, Ada Lawlor. Dear Jess I was not at school yesterday as I was sick with a cold.

Book - Spurgeon the people's teacher

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a hard cover book of 330 pages. The cover has a mauve background with gold lettering on the front cover and spine. The front cover has an image in gold of the Spurgeon’s home and an image in black and grey of the Metropolitan Tabernacle. The spine has an image in gold, black and grey of Charles Spurgeon. The book has 19 chapters and 20 black and white illustrations. There are several pages at the back of the book advertising books by the publisher (Walter Scott Press).

Historical information

This is the biography of Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-1892), a famous and influential English Protestant preacher who attracted a great following throughout the British Empire and U.S.A. He reached the masses by producing many religious tracts costing one penny and publishing his sermons and his John Ploughman books with their simple homilies. It appears that many of his books were in Warrnambool homes in the 19th century.

Significance

This book is of interest as it details the life of Charles Spurgeon, a person whose sermons and writings were familiar to many people in Warrnambool in the 19th century. The Warrnambool Examiner newspaper frequently carried news items about Spurgeon’s eloquent preaching and the crowds he was drawing. It also published some of his sermons and reported at length his final illness and death. One of the photograph albums in the collection of the Warrnambool and District Historical Society includes a photograph of Charles Spurgeon and his wife, thus appearing to indicate his popularity and influence extended as far as Warrnambool and district.

Folder - Warrnambool Woollen Mill

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

This is a rectangular-shaped sheet of buff-coloured lightweight cardboard. It has been folded twice to create six pages in a folder. Three pages contain black and white photographs of the woollen mill operations and two pages contain advertising material with black and white images. One page has a cream blanket piece of material attached to the page by two staples and this has the brand name stitched onto the right hand corner This piece of blanket also has a paper guarantee card attached by staples.

Historical information

This folder contains photographs, advertisements and a sample of a piece of blanket from the Warrnambool Woollen Mill. This mill was officially opened in South Warrnambool in 1910 following the establishment of a local public company. The first manager was John Bennett from Yorkshire, England. The operations of the mill expanded with new buildings enabling the business to double in size by 1915. In the 1940s the factory was employing 700 people. In 1968 the factory was sold to Dunlop Australia but was sold again in 1982 to Onkaparinga Woollen Company. In 1983 Mcquarie Worsteds took over the factory with the business then known as Warrnambool Textiles. In 2000 the mill closed and most of the buildings were later demolished for a housing estate.

Significance

This item is an attractive and informative memento of one of Warrnambool’s most important businesses of the past. The Warrnambool Woollen Mill operated for 90 years and employed many local people. The photographs are of particular interest.

Inscriptions & Markings

The Warrnambool Woollen Mill Co. Ltd. South Warrnambool The 100% Wool Warrnambool Super Blanket Made in Australia

Slate - School/ Olive Ardlie 13.02.1911

Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool

Four sided slate with unpainted wooden frame. Hinged in the centre with metal hinges. Inside Olive Ardlie 13.2.1911 is written on the wood at the top of the frame.

Historical information

Slate has been used for hundreds of years as a base for writing and many young students began their schooling using one to practise their writing. They had many advantages among them the fact that they were reusable and errors could be erased and corrected. A small duster or cloth was often attached for cleaning.This slate belonged to Olive Ardlie who was the daughter of Arthur Stanley Ardlie and Ethel Mary Lisburne (nee Ryan). They lived at "Aroona" 19 Princess St Warrnambool and Arthur worked as an accountant in his father's law firm. Olive was their eldest child and she died in 1912 at the age of 6. She was the granddaughter of William Ardlie one of Warrnambool's earliest residents and one of the state's longest serving solicitors . Olive had two sisters one of whom donated this slate.

Significance

A common object with links to one of Warrnambool's oldest and well known families.

Inscriptions & Markings

Olive Ardlie 13.2.1911 is written on the wood at the top of the frame.